Forum Jump: 

#1 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to the October thread!

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

coolshine.gif Happy September!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the copy Jo! blowkiss.gif

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#2 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 AM

What?! New month?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#3 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 AM

subbing in...
RR: done for today and now off to shower

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#4 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 AM

: dingo race list
:

mel38 - Marine Corps Marathon - October 28, 2012

tjsmama - New York City Marathon - November 4, 2012

Dmitrizmom - Chocolaterie Stamp 5k, November 4, 2012

Start planning your 2013 race calendars!!

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

Special dates:

candle.gif September 24, 2012  Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts. stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#5 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 AM

run.gif2012 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K - January 28, 2012 - 53:24 (PR!)

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon - February 12, 2012 - 2:00:43

mommajb - 10k - March 17, 2012 - 59:??

doctorjen - Diva Dash 5k - March 25, 2012 - 24:55

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 31, 2012 - 1:03:29 (PR)

realrellim - Redline 13.1 Westminster - April 7, 2012 - 1:57:56

bec - Reach out and Run 5k - April 21, 2012 - 42-ish (with 6yo DD!)

doctorjen - Rock the Parkway half marathon - April 14, 2012 - 1:56:49 (PR!)

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint triathlon - April 21, 2012 - 1:30:38

tjsmama - Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler - April 29, 2012 - 1:41:39

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k - May 5, 2012 - 1:02:45 (PR!)

bec - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 5, 2012 - 2:47:22

realrellim - Miles for Moms 5k - May 5, 2012 - 25:12

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #1 - May 20, 2012 - 1:29:35

Nickarolaberry - Rubin Run Half Marathon - May 12, 2012 - 2:06:11

MelW - Gutbuster 12.5km - May 27, 2012 - 1:45:15

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k - May 27, 2012 - 1:01:30

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k - May 27, 2012 - 1:01:29

realrellim - Steamboat Marathon - June 3, 2012 - 4:12:13

Dmitrizmom - MudRun - June 9, 2012 - 50:23.3

Mel38 - A.L.S. Hope 5k - June 9, 2012 - 26:41 (PR!)
Dmitrizmom - Ogden Fun Days BeHere 5K - June 16, 2012 - 36:23 (PR!!)

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake triathlon (oly) - June 23, 2012 - 3:04:26

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #2 - June 17, 2012 - 1:26:19

realrellim - Run for Independence 5M - June 30, 2012 - 50:36

babybugmama - Champions4Children 5k - July 7, 2012 - 27:15

realrellim - Middle Park Half Marathon - July 7, 2012 - 1:58:23

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon - July 8, 2012 - 2:11:46

becRacine Half Ironman - July 15, 2012 - 8:02:12

tjsmamaCourage Classic Bike Tour - July 21-23, 2012

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #4 - July 29, 2012 - 1:32:38

bec - Hog Jog 5k - August 4, 2012 -

tjsmama - Mudathlon, August 11, 2012 - 1:10:58

realrellim - Holy Cow Trail Stampede 10K - August 11, 2012 - 52:45 (PR!!)

tjsmama - USAT Age Group Nationals - August 18, 2012 - 3:35:25

Nickarolaberry - Providence (RI) Rock n Roll Half - August 19, 2012 - 2:06:23

bec - Pub Run 5k - August 25, 2012

Dmitrizmom - Pufferbilly 10k - September 8, 2012 - 1:06:31 (PR!!)

mel38 - Francis Marion Dirt Dash - September 8, 2012 - 2:27:18

tjsmama - Rock n Roll Denver Half Marathon - September 22, 2012 -

juvysen - Color me Rad 5k - September 22, 2012 -

juvysen - Wine Glass Half - September 30, 2012 -

mel38 - Isle of Palms Connector 10k, October 6, 2012 - 1:00:55 (PR!!)

doctorjen - Twin Cities Marathon - October 7, 2012

2010 Results

2011 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#6 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

joining in.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#7 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 AM
lab

subbing....again.  Gonna try and keep up with you guys!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#8 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Thank goodness for a new month!  Something about the last thread just didn't jibe with me.  I had three different replies fully typed and ready to go but then forgot to hit submit and eventually navigated away or closed the tab. duh.gif Anyway,  yay for October! 

I've got boxing today, so far the weird pain/weakness in my groin hasn't come back but it's been threatening too so I'll be trying to not aggravate it while still going strong as much as possible.  I have some hopes for the rolfing.  Last week she spent the hour working on my feet and lower legs and they actually felt better than they had in a long time afterward.  It's only today that they are beginning to feel crunchy and old like usual.

Jenna - Great time on your race!  I'd be very pleased with that, even for a subsequent race!

Mel38- I had a lowish mileage 3x/week plan for the SH Mary and I liked it.  The only regret I had was that I hadn't done any strength training to supplement the running.  That was a mistake.

Kerc - I've been thinking a lot about your thoughts on appearance of self/home and readiness to befriend.  It's really hitting home for me.  As Sparkle can attest, even when our house is in guest-ready mode, it's still quite the eyesore, especially true of it's 'curb appeal' or complete lack thereof.  I want to fix that but then the time and $$ necessary to do it just overwhelms me.  And I know that other islanders' judge us by what they see from the road, not in a good way.  Part of me thinks 'well screw them' but the other part of me wonders why it's so hard for dh and I to allocate the time and funds to trying to appear like responsible home-owners.

And congrats on the car!  I hope that it lasts well into your youngest's graduate degree. orngbiggrin.gif

Sparkle - I can relate to that feeling of my brain physically stretching to learn new information. 

Geo - I love that dd's teacher gets her and is so supportive!  That's wonderful!

Bec - I hope you get some assurance from the science teacher today that he's on board with helping Katie appropriately.

blowkiss.gif To everyone I'm missing, I hear children getting up and I'm getting this out before I wander off for the day!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#9 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM

Subbing...

Juvysen - congratulations on an awesome first 1/2!!! Great time!

RR - biked my kids to school this morning and then rode home. Off to PT at 10:30. I really want to go mountain biking for some reason. Maybe the fall weather....

NRR - [short vent] why, oh why, was DD1 still sitting on her bed, wearing only a towel, reading a book with 5 minutes until she has to leave for school? I gently removed the book from her hands, she got dressed, ate a bite of a bagel, and made it out the door only a couple minutes late, but still.... I am proud of myself for not losing my temper with her at least. [/rant]

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#10 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM

clap.gifJuvysen !! thumbsup.gif Great time on that HM!!

Plady - yes, strength. Sadly missing from my life these days. I haven't been doing any swimming at all after doing so well for the first part of the year, and my core workout has also somehow not happened for weeks.

And let me just say, the pictures I have seen of your home are just so lovely! I know that there are a lot of people who judge things more on the outward appearance, on things looking new and cleaned up, trimmed, painted, etc. I get that, but then again, growing up in a very rural area, so many of our neighbors have never lived in a "real" house, only trailers and fairly ramshackle types of homes. Well, we would probably look pretty fancy next to them. So IMO, it's a product of who our neighbors are and the type of community we live in.

Gosh, what did I hear the other day ... a mom complaining about how her neighbor knocked 100k off of the value of her home? And I thought, wow, you mean that neighbor who waters your plants when you are away? The one who brings you fresh baked things? That friendly, hard-working, settled-down type of guy? You are going to wish him away because you don't like the looks of his house?? I'll take a nice person over a nice house any day.

JG, you handled that so much more gracefully and respectfully than I could have. My DD is sometimes that way, so ... unconcerned about timelines and things.

I think no RR for me for the 3rd day in a row. I just have been feeling a little under the weather ever since the weekend.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#11 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Nope, not October.  No way.

#12 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Jay - That sounds like my eldest. Getting out the door often takes a few hours because she just goes off somewhere to hide every chance she gets. I don't know what we're going to do when she starts kindy this fall.

Plady - I'm with you, there. We just bought a house that needs a LOT of work. Landscaping and the like definitely will happen some day, but probably not any time soon. My husband kind of likes the wild look it gives our wooded lot. Heh.

RR: Finished 2/3 of the sixth week of couch 2 5K. I'm at the point where despite the high chaos level around here (moving; getting ready to start school for my oldest; having two miscarriages this summer) where I actually think I'm going to finish this. Yeah!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#13 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post
Gosh, what did I hear the other day ... a mom complaining about how her neighbor knocked 100k off of the value of her home? And I thought, wow, you mean that neighbor who waters your plants when you are away? The one who brings you fresh baked things? That friendly, hard-working, settled-down type of guy? You are going to wish him away because you don't like the looks of his house?? I'll take a nice person over a nice house any day.

Well yes. I would too.

I didn't mean to set off any touchy subjects. And in truth my front porch resembles the graveyard of the items we removed from the traded in van.

I guess I'm somewhere in the aspiring to have a clean front porch, a clear spot on the couch and a cup of coffee for the neighbor and inviting friends in without all that, but clearing off a spot for those that make it in. Too clean is a problem for me too.

#14 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Juvysen~Congrats! That's an awesome time!

Although I can't believe it actually IS October, I stillheart.gif October. It is my favorite month of the year, by far. And I'm not just saying that because it's my birthday month. orngtongue.gif I love the fall colors, the cooler weather, apples and pumpkins, Halloween. And oh yeah, my birthday too. orngbiggrin.gif

I was a complete failure yesterday...instead of going for any kind of a run, I took a 5 hour nap. Sheesh. I'm calling it an extra nightshift recovery day. And I ran farther than I probably would have today to make up for it, so I guess that's something. I did go out for ethiopian food last night for the first time, and it was delicious! I will definitely be doing that again. yummy.gif

My NYC trip is starting to come together. I ordered tickets for a broadway show today, my two friends are on board, and the hotel room has been switched from a king bed to two doubles to accommodate that. I'm on the search for a bright, easily-seen long sleeve shirt to wear for the race (I have short sleeve and tank options, if the weather permits), and I'm about to order a new pair of shoes since my current pair isn't going to make it that far. I was looking at this Brooks shirt but I'm a little concerned about the length and riding up after reading the reviews. Especially since I have a long torso. Hmm.

rr~I set out for 90 minutes or 8 miles, whichever came first. I turned around at 45 minutes, and actually ran a faster second half, such that I had to run past my driveway (much to the dog's dismay) to get the extra .02 to make it to 8 miles. Great weather this morning, and I love the leaves crunching under my feet. The dog was not super amused after 6 miles, especially since he hasn't been running with me much lately, but at least he should sleep well this afternoon. orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#15 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
bec

Got my early morning boot camp, so that is good.  Then convinced my husband to sign up for the Indy Mini!  I'm so excited about that.

I haven't heard back from the science teacher, but am keeping a close eye on the grades, and will bring it up again at conferences (less than 2 weeks). 

#16 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Well yes. I would too.

I didn't mean to set off any touchy subjects. And in truth my front porch resembles the graveyard of the items we removed from the traded in van.

I guess I'm somewhere in the aspiring to have a clean front porch, a clear spot on the couch and a cup of coffee for the neighbor and inviting friends in without all that, but clearing off a spot for those that make it in. Too clean is a problem for me too.

duh.gif I'm sorry, kerc, I didn't mean anything you had said earlier! I was remembering a mom complaining at school the other day.  Sorry, I should have been clearer. Or more clear. Or both. footinmouth.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#17 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM

Gaye - the riding up would drive me totally nuts.  My $.02.

So just to add a little more ghetto appeal to our yard, dh (with me enabling by driving the trailer) just acquired a used hot tub that hasn't worked since the '90s.  And no, we still don't have trim on the front of our house. eyesroll.gif

#18 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

So just to add a little more ghetto appeal to our yard, dh (with me enabling by driving the trailer) just acquired a used hot tub that hasn't worked since the '90s.  And no, we still don't have trim on the front of our house. eyesroll.gif

Classy!  lol.gif

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#19 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Hi everyone. Checking in. Somewhat buried under holidays (this week is Sukkot...our sukkah is still standing and even decorated despite the rain! Woot!), another round of Strep in the family, work, and the bat mitzvah which is coming up in 14 days...yikes2.gif

Running irregularly but running.... (ragged! haha. and also, really running).

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#20 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Quote:

So, you could get these to break the tub in!

Katie had one of her last cross country meets today.  It was a 1.75 (maybe longer) course, and she finished in 16:37.  That's a 9:29.7 pace!!!!!  Not to bad for a shrimp!lol.gif

#21 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Wait. It's another month already? What happened to June?

#22 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Bec - Did Sparkle tell that we only use jars for glasses?  lol.gif  Sans stem however. 

#23 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
bec

You were working through all of June, Shanti!!!  luxlove.gif

#24 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Mel...I didn't think you meant me, I just wanted Plady to know I think it's all a process.

Dang my kids joy.gif swim team. Me thinks they need the aerobic workout more often.

Myself....back in the swing after a week of no exercise .

#25 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Bec - Did Sparkle tell that we only use jars for glasses?  lol.gif   Sans stem however. 

You are using the wronngg person as a standard. I dont think I even noticed the glasses ... now the ulcerous mule, and the shanty lean-to off in the trees inhabited by an unreliable wanderer... lol.gif

I'm kidding of course, I luxlove.gif the whole thing. It will be a sad day when your house has "curb appeal", seriously

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#26 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I need to get myself moving again. My job is finished, my house is as clean and organized as it is going to get for now and my feet are no longer killing me all the time. There will be lots of time to sit while I am doing course work. It feels so good to be able to sit again but I don't want to lose the fitness that came from running up and down those stairs all the time! I want to get myself into a routine of walking every morning but I can already tell it isn't going to be easy. It will have to wait until the kids have left for school every day. What is it going to take?

#27 of 254 Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Subbing in. Even if I don't post often, I do read.  luxlove.gif to all the Dingos.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#28 of 254 Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Hi Dingoes! 

Juvysen, what a super time--for a first half or any half! Great work.

JayGee, I'm with Mel38 on your patience. I do not have it. Probably a good thing I am not having to schlepp these kids off to school anymore.

Revolting, it sounds like you had quite a summer. I hope you're being gentle with yourself. There is always time to back up and start again. I didn't always believe it; I finally do. Hugs.

Nic, I suppose it's too early for mazel tov, but I am thinking of you, and wishing you happiness, and Chag Sameach!

bec, way to go to your dd! That pace is just a dream to me these days. Sigh.

Plady, come on. You've seen my farm. There is a way of living that I like to think of as "project-based." winky.gif Not everyone lives this way, and not everyone gets it, but Mel's definitely right. I'll pick a good neighbor over curb appeal.

And to everyone namaste.gif

RR: I am slowly climbing back onto the wagon. Kids and I have moved into dh's hotel suite, and there is a workout room, so I have been doing a little elliptical, a little TM, a little biking, and we have headed out to the trails a couple times to enjoy the glorious colors while we have the chance.

NRR: I know the transition into doing school at home is not expected to be smooth and worry-free. That is, I suppose, what is carrying me through these days. I vacillate between feeling so frustrated for ds, for all the things he should know by now that have eluded him, to feeling thankful I have the opportunity to get him caught up, to being disappointed I didn't start this sooner, so we'd have less to make up at this point. He's at a remedial level (IMO) in language arts and writing. He makes a good slog through math and is not quick, but catches every concept, at least. But parts of speech elude him, and getting him to communicate his thoughts more than superficially is like pulling teeth.

And then there's dd, blazing through her curriculum so fast that she needs near-constant attention just to keep fuel on the fire. She's on pace to finish the quarter two weeks early. That's good, because our upcoming travel will consume any head start she has going.

Speaking of travel, I am trying hard to embrace the unknowing. We will probably leave in 2 weeks or so, but there are all sorts of things coming into play--dh's work, our luggage, the next Islamic holiday, Morocco, UAE. Now it looks like dh may travel ahead and we'll meet in Morocco. But it's also possible that we might just ship extra luggage and all fly to Morocco. Details. I am trying just to focus on school and take every opportunity to enjoy autumn and see loved ones.

Totally OT: Dh got a Kindle. Now, this was not on my list, and originally he wanted to buy 2 (hotel points burning a hole in his pocket). I talked him down to one and staked a claim. What a great tool for a traveler. Finished The Leftovers and am now reading the new book by the Khan Academy guy. And we have an iPad, so I can sync books to it, and probably to the kids' iPods, too.

#29 of 254 Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Jo -dizzy.gif

#30 of 254 Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM

Jo - no kidding on the crazy spinning head! Good luck navigating it all. How do you like the Khan book? I heard an interview with him in NPR this morning and thought it sounded fascinating. I told my Dad I would buy it and share it with him when I finish. We use Khan Academy lessons with DS as enrichment in math (since there is no enrichment offered through school and he has a 103 average in math....)

RR. - did PT today, saw the chiro and will do my planks and pushups before bed. Tomorrow is my pain management consult and hopefully a steroid injection into the tib/fib joint. Youch.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page