Dingoes Give Thanks for Running in November! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 266 Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shanti - I am so sorry. I am praying for you and your family. Poor pup.

I have a funeral this morning, for my babysitters' father. He was our next door neighbor when we lived here the first time and was a kind man and a loving father. That K and K (our sitters, they are sisters) have lost their Dad at such a young age is heartbreaking to me. And just thinking about their Mom makes me cry. This is the first funeral I have ever gone to. So sad today.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#122 of 266 Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM

oh no Shanti!  I'm so sad that your sweet dog is so ill.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#123 of 266 Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM

I'm so sorry Shanti.

Hugs to you, too JayGee.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#124 of 266 Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Shanti and JG - goodvibes.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#125 of 266 Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry, Shanti and JG

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#126 of 266 Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM
bec

Oh, Shanti.  I'm so sorry.  I know it has been over 6 months since I lost my dog, and it still hurts every day.  The only blessing for me was that I didn't have to euthanize as he passed on the morning we were going to bring him in (less than 12 hours after bringing him to the vet).  I hope your pup makes a miraculous recovery. 

JG - Hugs to you, too.  I'm so sorry for your friends.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#127 of 266 Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM

Shanti, I'm terribly sorry. Poor guy. greensad.gif

JG, That is a really, really hard thing. I'm so sorry. candle.gif

grouphug.gif

Sweet family run when dh got home. Boys biked while dh & I ran. We finally have good running weather. No excuses now!

Kerc, I thought of you all day as we read about and studied rocks, sorted them into groups, performed some experiments with vinegar and learned some new crazy words: gneiss, schist. You shoulda heard the tongue twisters they tried to come up with. Oy. Still a weak subject for me: We need you.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#128 of 266 Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM

I am so sorry, Shanti. Adding my hope for a miraculous recovery.

Lofty, your blog, please? loveeyes.gif ETA: found it! winky.gif

JayGee, funerals are hard all around. Untimely passings and those left behind, though, make things so much more heartbreaking.

No exercise yesterday, but it is in the plan for today. We drove out to the suburbs for the HSer book club meeting yesterday and my kids had a wonderful time, and so did I. Very relaxed, and just as easy to relate to these ladies as you can imagine. Then we came home and started school at 4PM, and kind of got on a roll with making up French, so we worked until 9 at night. I decided, rather than use the handwriting book, to have dd do French vocab for her handwriting practice, but that means I make the handwriting sheets. Also trying to get ds to understand now that most kids his age are at school all day, then have some sort of practice, then homework. There is no hanging out during the week, or walks on the beach or what have you. So when he has to read his lit book before bed instead of playing some brain-dead video game, it is not a tragedy. And since the kids get to choose their lit studies novels from a list, they need to consider what they will wish to be reading before bed at night.

But really, it is coming along. Ds is slowly making up time and catching up to his class. Dd is all caught up, except for French.

#129 of 266 Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM

Shanti - More prayers for a miraculous recovery. 

JG - Too sad!  That's the kind of thing that jolts one back to seeing the big picture isn't it?

Lofty - Jo's cleverer than I am, blog link?

MelW - We've used a home test kit for mold before, you have to send it back to a lab for results but they can tell you if you have a particularly nasty strain floating around. 

RR: Boxed today, though somewhat half-heartedly.  I mean, I was still into it but keenly aware that it was just the start of a long day in a long week so I held back a lot.  But, I was there right?

MR: Macbeth drank the Kool Aid and out of the blue last night he started speaking so clearly and crisply I nearly fell out of my seat.  He kept it up tonight and I guarantee everyone understood every word.  AMAZING.  Now of course he sounds a bit stilted and goofy too, but I think it's probably better to err on the side of crystal clear words.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#130 of 266 Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Kerc, I thought of you all day as we read about and studied rocks, sorted them into groups, performed some experiments with vinegar and learned some new crazy words: gneiss, schist. You shoulda heard the tongue twisters they tried to come up with. Oy. Still a weak subject for me: We need you.

Well. Let's make it happen. We're negotiating our vacation plans for the coming year......

#131 of 266 Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 AM

Okay, third time's the charm. I've written this twice so far!

JG, Shanti & NIc, thinking of you... goodvibes.gif

Kerc, one day I will make it to Duluth. I think of you every time I hear Trampled by Turtles not just when I'm looking at rocks. Spring Break might be an option if we don't go see our niece who is in Boulder temporarily with AmeriCorps.

Plady, love the Macbeth drama. Maybe I'll get to see it one day? Blog: danamelana.wordpress.com

Am thinking of either adding an additional blog dedicated to homeschooling since I spend a good bit of time talking about curriculum choices with friends - not who want to homeschool but who want to "afterschool" with homeschool materials. But may also keep it within the current blog for simplicity's sake...

Jo, We schooled till late last night, too, not bc they were lazy but bc I wrote all morning and didn't gather my whip till after lunch. Oh well. It got done. Vocab/Handwriting is a great idea. I love fonts and sometimes buy them for fun so I have several I can use for them to trace or copy. One is a Schoolhouse font which has the dotted line across it. We also have the book but I like putting it on the computer bc sometimes I want him to practice it more than once and I can just print it off the computer. Getting through our reading list is my current struggle, not bc we don't read but bc we read so much. By the time we've read science, history, self-selected novels, etc the classic novel falls by the wayside. I am working on this. One thing I've recently instituted which saves my sanity is a 2-hour window of quiet time. Put it anywhere you want in the day but that's when nobody talks, we are in our own separate spaces and they can read or play whatever they want as long as it doesn't interrupt anyone else. G will play legos, draw or read. D will read what I call mental junk food: Archie, Calvin, Garfield, etc. They can listen to music (if they're in their own rooms, play with a pet, etc.) No screen time. At first, they balked at 2 hours. Slowly they've begun to look forward to it and save activities up for it. I can do whatever I want and get the roam of the house to myself. orngbiggrin.gif

Okay, off for a bike/run with the kiddos, then back to do Latin, Writing and Math. Then do my own reading, if all goes well. reading.gif

#132 of 266 Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Hi Dingos,

Not sure if anyone remembers me. I have been away from MDC for a long time.  Today I was just surfing the net (and not working) and I thought I should come and see what everyone is up to.  I see some familiar “faces” and plan to go back and read to see what everyone has been up to.  I have been running off and on for the last couple years but nothing serious.  I always found the ladies on this thread so motivating and helpful.  It is good to see so many of you still here.   

#133 of 266 Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hi Hollysmom!!! Of course I remember you  grouphug.gif  Welcome back! Do you still live in TO?

I spent half an hour rubbing my dog's ears and loving her all I could at the vet's office this morning. Something is going to have to change in a big way in the next day if she is going to make it. She has a little more sensation and movement in her tail and one hind leg but she looked miserable. The vet said a lot of that was due to medication but still greensad.gif  I am going to have to raise the possibility with the kids tonight and I am worried, given how fragile things are around here at the moment. This could not happen at a worse possible time. The vet said he could manage her pain and if she improves some we could bring her home for a few days to say goodbye as long as we are okay with the extra care. I have to decide what will be best for everyone, dog and kids. She is only 4 years old and the sweetest, funniest, most loving and loveable dog I have ever known. Why this now?????

#134 of 266 Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM

Shanti - greensad.gif I'm so sorry. Still praying for you and your family and your sweet dog.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#135 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 AM

Shanti - praying for you and your dog.

RR - attempting to make a return to Pilates this morning.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#136 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Shanti - Praying for your dog to have a turn-around.  I'm so sorry mama, 4 years is not enough for a sweetie like that!   hug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

One thing I've recently instituted which saves my sanity is a 2-hour window of quiet time. Put it anywhere you want in the day but that's when nobody talks, we are in our own separate spaces and they can read or play whatever they want as long as it doesn't interrupt anyone else. G will play legos, draw or read. D will read what I call mental junk food: Archie, Calvin, Garfield, etc. They can listen to music (if they're in their own rooms, play with a pet, etc.) No screen time. At first, they balked at 2 hours. Slowly they've begun to look forward to it and save activities up for it. I can do whatever I want and get the roam of the house to myself. orngbiggrin.gif

That's brilliant!  Thanks for the link!  And, maybe you'll be forced to sit and watch a certain dvd!  No, I'll put something online, not too much. 

Kristine!  Hi!  I remember you!  In fact very recently I was doing my thing, when I'm doing something that I need inspiration or distraction to complete I imagine a map of North America and go state by state through all the Dingos, imagining for a moment each one of you is with me, you're still up there north of the border.   Welcome back to the cafe!

Jo - I love the pictures!  And your view?  The vibe seems like a whole new animal over there this time.  joy.gif

#137 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Shanti I am so sorry about your dog.  So hard to have to make those kinds of decisions especially when from the sounds of it you have lots of other stuff going on.hug2.gif

I am still on TO.  Are you still in the same place?  If you are ever down here we really do have to meet in person.

Plady that is so sweet.  I really missed you guys.

#138 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysmom View Post

Not sure if anyone remembers me.

LOL! Of course I remember you!

Jaygee  That is so sad to hear about the loss of your friend. 

I'm so very scattered this week, it is ridiculous. But now I have to jet to get some work done before tomorrow's 8 am.

#139 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We have our sweet puppy home with us tonight. She seems so relieved to be here and has slept peacefully and when she is awake she is loving us by letting us rub her ears all we want happytears.gif Our vet has been truly amazing. The only person I could imagine being any better would be Naught Dingo herself. I will take her back in the morning for a little care from the vet, then bring her home to be with me all day, then at 5 we will take her back for the last time. It is time. She isn't in any pain but she will never walk or wag her tail again and she is refusing all food and drink. I can't believe this is happening greensad.gif

#140 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Shanti - I'm so sorry!  Do you understand what happened to her?  I'm glad that you have at least a little more time with her.

#141 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Shanti, mama. I'm so very sorry. hug2.gif

She has had such a good life with you. She is spending all her days in love and light with a family who adores her. It does not make it any easier for you but maybe knowing her soul is happy could be a small comfort. Sending you love. 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#142 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM

I'm sorry, Shantimama. I had my 2 cats put down this year. They were too old and their bodies were failing them. It's so hard. Wishing your family peace.

Mama to Chu born July 2010

Excitedly expecting somebody new in August 2012

#143 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Shanti, goodvibes.gif

Plady, yes to the DVD. smile.gif Thanks for the accolades but I stole that one from Susan Wise Bauer herself.

No run yesterday but awesome weights workout. Nothing today as it was our "in town" day when we drive an hour to the nearest city for music lessons, run errands and fit in whatever city loafing and loitering we can that will hold us over for 6 backwoods days. Run planned tomorrow - probably with kids and dog.

Hollysmom, I remember you. wave.gif I just logged on a few days ago for the first time in.... a year? How are you?

#144 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 PM

Shanti, I'm so sorry. I hope you have a loving goodbye with your pup.

NRR- I've been MIA for a couple of days with busy work schedule- picked up an extra 12 hour day of insanity on Monday in an over-crowded, over-census hospital, followed by a (pre-booked) 12 hour night Tuesday. Today and tomorrow I'm teaching in the lab. 

RR- I managed to fit in a 6.5k run on Tuesday, but my pelvis/hip feels off. I'm working on daily yoga, and a trip to the chiro next week if I can squeeze one in.

I could use some dingo wisdom on a couple of counts:

1. One of my daughter's preschool classmates was diagnosed with leukemia this week. She's gone to Vancouver to Children's hospital, and has three years of chemo/treatment in store (for a 3 1/2 year old, it's a lifetime of chemo). She and my daughter were in preschool on the same days from January to August, but we switched days in September and they haven't been in the same class since. I haven't told my daughter about it. Grandma died from leukemia one week ago. We haven't played with this girl outside of preschool, though she was probably her closest preschool friend through the spring/summer. I don't think my daughter will notice that she is "missing" since she's not in the same class anymore. Is it reasonable to keep this "secret" and not tell my daughter? My thought is that unless she asks, I'm not saying anything.

2. I'm going to the provincial public health association conference next week. My main reason for attending is that it was suggested by the prof I spoke to from the MPH program I'll apply to for next year as a good place for networking. I'm an uncomfortable networker/schmoozer. I hope to connect with this prof and potentially others from the program (and hopefully increase my odds of being accepted). Should I email him this week to re-introduce myself? Just re-introduce at the conference? I had a couple of emails, and we talked on the phone in June. Any tips? I'm working on my confidence, and I bought a new dress :)

#145 of 266 Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM

shanti~I'm so sorry about your pup. Treasure your last day with her tomorrow. hug.gif

melw~I'd probably lean the same way about telling your DD. I know that at that age, DS was pretty clueless about the world around him most of the time and probably wouldn't have noticed. That said, if she asks, I don't think you have to link her illness as being leukemia/same thing that grandma just died from. Childhood leukemia is so curable, I would just treat it as "she's sick and she's gone away to get better". As for question number two, I think I would send an email, just saying that you're going to be at the conference and that you would love to meet in person while you're there (maybe suggest coffee or something, if you think that's appropriate).

hollysmom~wave.gif

So, apparently, all I need to get my speed back is to NOT be marathon training anymore? I busted out 4+ miles today at my old pace and actually felt like I was moving kind of slow. Not that I could have gone any faster, but it felt slow, if that makes any sense. A full minute plus faster than what I was struggling to maintain during marathon training. Weird. shrug.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#146 of 266 Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 AM
bec

Oh, Shanti.  I'm so sorry, mama.  Boy, do I remember that pain well.  It's too young.  Even so, remember, she has had a blessed life filled with nothing but love and tenderness. 

Melw - Exactly what Gaye said. 

Hollysmom - wave.gif

No running today, but could I get Desert Classic Half Marathon added to the race list for February 2?  Thank you!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#147 of 266 Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM

This is hilarious:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/11/15/dining/thanksgiving-menu-generator.html?hpw#/?id=all

It's an algorithm for Thanksgiving, called the Thanksgiving-erator where you choose which themed meal you want to prepare, and then click on the quote you most identify with. The quotes are hilarious ("starting up the the deep fryer makes me feel alive")

That's all I can manage for now. I'm so in the emotional quicksand ... well, nuff said guilty.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#148 of 266 Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 PM

I am reading along and I have comments to add but when I have time I am upstairs in bed and the computer is downstairs. I called ds1 on my cell phone to ask him to bring it to me but he didn't answer. eyesroll.gif I could use my phone to post but mdc mobile is not working well for me. The dingos will somehow have to live without my (relative) wisdom.

I could detail what has happened in the past three weeks but it is worse than a country song. In good news, we closed the sale of our home in Indiana last week.

Thanksgiving: I told them I will do as much for the holiday as they did for my birthday. My plan is to go out for sushi. This will actually be more than we did for my birthday because there was no dinner after I drove away crying when I realized they had really forgotten me. It is the thought that counts, you know?

RR: I am trying. I was running, even doing long runs but rather than cope by running I am coping by eating and not running. I registered for a half on Jan 20 at Disneyland. At this point I do not want to run it. My friends is flying in and wants me to leave my 9 yo with her her 10 yo in a hotel room while we run. I won't. I was bringing my 14 yo to watch them but then I realized I would have to pull her from school. Now I think I will go and not run. I am tiptoe-ing around her from 2000+ miles away as it her life is a also a soap opera right now.

I know I will come back and delete this later. I write it hoping I will feel better for dumping but I usually only feel more pathetic.
Yep. That is what happened.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#149 of 266 Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM

sparkle, thanks for the laugh. I'll toss you a ladder in your quicksand, if it helps. This is the hard part of the semester. Winter break is getting close enough to taste.

mommajb, big hugs. Congrats on the sale of your home, and I hope that the rest turns around for you soon. Sushi for thanksgiving sounds yummy to me!

It's Friday. I am ignoring all phone calls begging me to come in to the hospital this weekend, and will be cleaning up my yard and house and hanging out with my kids and NOT working until Monday. I have prep and some meetings on Monday, then 12 hour nights Mon/Tues before heading to Vancouver on Wednesday. But first, Friday night bootcamp. With a lingering cough and snuffle, but much better than the last four Fridays (can you believe it- sick for FIVE weeks, and made it to bootcamp all but one of them?!).

#150 of 266 Old 11-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Big hug, MommJB hug.gif Congrats on the sale of the house.

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page