Mothering Forum banner

Dingoes Give Thanks for Running in November!

7K views 265 replies 20 participants last post by  Nickarolaberry 
#1 ·
Shiny new November thread
love.gif

See less See more
#4 ·
: dingo race list
:

tjsmama - Galloping Gobbler 8 miler, November 22, 2012

Start planning your 2013 race calendars!!

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

Special dates:

candle.gif
September 24, 2012 Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts.
stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post

#5 ·
run.gif
2012 Dingo Race Results
partytime.gif

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K - January 28, 2012 - 53:24 (PR!)

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon - February 12, 2012 - 2:00:43

mommajb - 10k - March 17, 2012 - 59:??

doctorjen - Diva Dash 5k - March 25, 2012 - 24:55

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 31, 2012 - 1:03:29 (PR)

realrellim - Redline 13.1 Westminster - April 7, 2012 - 1:57:56

bec - Reach out and Run 5k - April 21, 2012 - 42-ish (with 6yo DD!)

doctorjen - Rock the Parkway half marathon - April 14, 2012 - 1:56:49 (PR!)

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint triathlon - April 21, 2012 - 1:30:38

tjsmama - Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler - April 29, 2012 - 1:41:39

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k - May 5, 2012 - 1:02:45 (PR!)

bec - Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 5, 2012 - 2:47:22

realrellim - Miles for Moms 5k - May 5, 2012 - 25:12

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #1 - May 20, 2012 - 1:29:35

Nickarolaberry - Rubin Run Half Marathon - May 12, 2012 - 2:06:11

MelW - Gutbuster 12.5km - May 27, 2012 - 1:45:15

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k - May 27, 2012 - 1:01:30

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k - May 27, 2012 - 1:01:29

realrellim - Steamboat Marathon - June 3, 2012 - 4:12:13

Dmitrizmom - MudRun - June 9, 2012 - 50:23.3

Mel38 - A.L.S. Hope 5k - June 9, 2012 - 26:41 (PR!)
Dmitrizmom - Ogden Fun Days BeHere 5K - June 16, 2012 - 36:23 (PR!!)

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake triathlon (oly) - June 23, 2012 - 3:04:26

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #2 - June 17, 2012 - 1:26:19

realrellim - Run for Independence 5M - June 30, 2012 - 50:36

babybugmama - Champions4Children 5k - July 7, 2012 - 27:15

realrellim - Middle Park Half Marathon - July 7, 2012 - 1:58:23

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon - July 8, 2012 - 2:11:46

bec - Racine Half Ironman - July 15, 2012 - 8:02:12

tjsmama - Courage Classic Bike Tour - July 21-23, 2012

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #4 - July 29, 2012 - 1:32:38

bec - Hog Jog 5k - August 4, 2012 -

tjsmama - Mudathlon, August 11, 2012 - 1:10:58

realrellim - Holy Cow Trail Stampede 10K - August 11, 2012 - 52:45 (PR!!)

tjsmama - USAT Age Group Nationals - August 18, 2012 - 3:35:25

Nickarolaberry - Providence (RI) Rock n Roll Half - August 19, 2012 - 2:06:23

bec - Pub Run 5k - August 25, 2012

Dmitrizmom - Pufferbilly 10k - September 8, 2012 - 1:06:31 (PR!!)

mel38 - Francis Marion Dirt Dash - September 8, 2012 - 2:27:18

tjsmama - Rock n Roll Denver Half Marathon - September 22, 2012 -

juvysen - Color me Rad 5k - September 22, 2012 -

juvysen - Wine Glass Half - September 30, 2012 -

mel38 - Isle of Palms Connector 10k, October 6, 2012 - 1:00:55 (PR!!)

doctorjen - Twin Cities Marathon - October 7, 2012

mel38 - Marine Corps Marathon - October 28, 2012 - 5:27:33
bec - Hot Chocolate 15k - October 27, 2012 - 1:51:43

tjsmama - New York City Marathon - November 4, 2012 - cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy
gloomy.gif

Dmitrizmom - Chocolaterie Stamp 5k, November 4, 2012 - 35:01 (PR!!)

2010 Results

2011 Results

#6 ·
Wow! I was trying to pretend that it wasn't November yet!

Sparkle - That article is so funny, and so true. I hear you on the sleep disturbance/stress. As I have deadlines looming I always start waking up and staying awake at more and more inconvenient times. I'm not above using "mama's little blue helpers" to get a full night's sleep if it starts to happen too regularly.

Gaye - Can't wait to hear your reports of what you find in NYC! That will be quite the memorable race no matter what your time is!

Well, already I'm out of time here. Thanks for the new thread Nic!
Peace.gif

#7 ·
Have an amazing race, Gaye. I am betting that you will have tons to look at and talk about with other runners to keep you occupied during the race.

Nic - I hear your concerns about the race.

RR: none this week. It's been hard. I am racing on Sunday, though, so, hopefully, next week will be back on track.

NRR: This has been such a crazy week for me! Between, work, kids, DH being out of the country, I'm just at my limit.

#10 ·
Oh no tjsmama! Ugh. I hope you're able to have a nice weekend anyhow.

This probably sounds uncharitable, but I'm completely frustrated with New Yorkers right now. It sound pretty clear that there isn't adequate infrastructure. That I completely understand, and it was irresponsible of city and race officials to not realize that earlier. The NYT said something like 40k of the 47k participants had already arrived in New York.

That said, I'm disgusted by the New Yorkers who saved their venom for the runners and characterized the marathon as some sort of event for selfish rich people. I just saw a New Yorker story that argued the race could donate its generators to people without power, and all the Gatorade and food could be donated to people who need it. While true, it ignored the essential fact that Gatorade and portapotties don't arrive at mile markers by magic. They're paid for by people's race fees. If the race organizers do the right thing and refund the fee, there's no money to pay for all that Gatorade. If the race organizers keep the fee, sure, they can donate the Gatorade but now every single runner has made a $200+ donation that can't even be written off to charity and for that matter, that won't be acknowledged as any kind of sacrifice on the part of runners. Seriously--who goes up to a person and says "hey, you know that $200 you were saving to do something special? Fork it over to charity, now, and btw, you were selfish for even thinking about running a race in our city because you should know exactly what the conditions are like here even if you are 2000 miles away." One of the NYC council people is literally telling runners to go help with clean-up efforts and go donate clothes. (It goes without saying, of course, that the people who are busy blogging and tweeting and otherwise saying that runners are selfish are the same people with running water, electricity, heat and fully-charged smartphones. Note that they're too busy tweeting and blogging about runners being selfish to actually, I dunno, go to parts of the city where the elderly need someone to carry water up several flights up stairs for them and actually help.) Not directed at all New Yorkers, of course--just at the ones attacking runners.

I suspect a number of runners would be happy to donate their entrance fee so that supplies and generators and portapotties could go to areas of the city that need them. But to attack the runners themselves and pretend that all those race supplies are free and that anyone who forked over gobs of money to travel to NYC would love to spend the whole weekend involved in charity work for which they are not dressed strikes me as another example of myopia.

RR: 3 on the treadmill. Hoping to get outside tomorrow. I'm also planning to join some of our group waving signs at a busy intersection for our campaign tomorrow. It should be a workout. Or at least a test of my patience because I don't really like (a) being loud, (b) being around loud people or (c) listening to loud traffic noises. Perhaps I will bring earplugs. That should solve the problem. Yes, I have sensory issues.
bag.gif

NRR: in exciting news, Skirt Sports is opening a holiday shop at a nearby mall tomorrow! It will be open through Christmas and will have a bunch of stuff that they usually sell at their warehouse sale. !!!! It looks like the store is right next to the girls' haircut place, so I scheduled an appointment for them (their bangs are in their eyes) and we'll be off to the mall in the afternoon.

#11 ·
NY marathon is a pretty crummy situation all around. I hope you find something that works for you, tjsmama, whether it's hanging with Nic, volunteering, hanging out in your hotel or whatever else makes the best of it.

NRR- Birthday party tomorrow afternoon and then evening fiddle concert for my 7 year old. I have done very little party prep, so need to organize gift bags, all the food and bake cupcakes (with allergy variants) in the morning.

RR- I have given up on resting as a way to get better and am on to coughing my way through bootcamp. We did a brutal set that was essentially 5 straight minutes of plank and plank variants. Ow, ow shoulders.

#12 ·
Heartbroken.

I don't necessarily disagree with the decision to cancel, but to wait until the last minute like this was horrible. I had literally just walked out from packet pick-up when I heard the news. If I had known, I would have stayed home, saved my hotel points and airline miles for next year, and been able to make a sizable donation to relief efforts. Instead, I'll rack up my credit card for a vacation that has lost its primary reason. My friends and I will still have a nice weekend, but it's not why I came here. Now I just have to see if I can somehow get together the funds to come back next year and actually get to run.

Did I mention the money I dropped at the expo on NYC 2012 gear (since this was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing)? Sigh. Meanwhile, I am extremely doubtful that there will be any kind of refund, or even a discount for next year's race. So far, the only thing I've heard is entry to next year's race. BTW, I still have not gotten any kind of official notification from NYRR. They (and the mayor's office) have not done a good job of communication, to say the least.

And just to be clear (since a supposed "friend" on FB blasted me for being disappointed and my friends for sympathizing with me), I am not dismissing the horrors that the hurricane caused in the area, and I am not saying that the marathon should take precedence over recovery efforts, I just wish it would have been handled better.

Reactions: Realrellim
#13 ·
tjsmama--it's completely understandable. What I haven't heard people talking about is the fact that it costs a whole lot of $$$ to fly to NYC, get from the airport to a hotel, pay for the hotel, pay for meals and everything else. I hear people acting as if the only thing runners will "lose" is all those weeks of training, but that's not it at all. And a $200+ entry fee is a lot of money.

FWIW, this is a nice blog post from someone who lost everything in the hurricane and was still planning to run the marathon. Maybe you can point any other idiots to her blog and ask if she's selfish too. http://momsgottarun.blogspot.com/2012/11/lost.html

#14 ·
The NYRR has really dropped the ball on this one. I agree with Real and Gaye -- runners pay a lot of money to enter, get to, stay in, and buy lots of stuff at the place of the marathon. The NYRR and the mayor should have figured this out days ago. I apologize if I came off as judgmental -- that was not my intention. And as a runner (obviously) I would *never* accuse runners of selfishness. I think our sport is one of the most generous hearted of any sports with competitors helping each other at every stage in every race, with the exception perhaps of the top elites.

The city does not have adequate infrastructure; they did not anticipate the level of devastation; they do not have the resources to manage the aftermath; and there is a pervasive feeling that the mayor has written off the outer boroughs with a very dismissive 'they'll get through it somehow' attitude. Places like Staten Island, Far Rockaway, and the outer reaches of Queens and Brooklyn where there is utter, and I mean utter, devastation have had very few rescue personnel or resources sent their way. Somehow, unlike after Katrina when busloads of rescue and catastrophe assistance poured into Louisiana, this is not happening for the most part in NY. I don't know why that's true, but it is. Friends in Long Beach and Far Rockaway have sewage running through the streets and in the basements, no power and no power company personnel around, and worse.

I think a lot of the anger directed at runners was a poorly-placed target for the venting of frustration and distress at a visible symbol of what NYers perceive as the epitome of chutzpah by the NYRR and the mayor. It is unkind and unproductive, but available.
greensad.gif
Unfortunately while there are many stories of the amazing humanity that people can show each other during a crisis, there are also seriously nasty situations with looting, shootings at gas stations, fights over lines for buses, and now this.

NYRR should definitely replace the entrance fee or at least offer a freebie for next year or the year after. They probably won't. They've evolved into a very money-centric organization. ING sponsors the marathon and they pick up the tab for a lot of the capital costs -- police, food/drink, etc. While the NYRR does shell out a lot of the entrance fees they also make a huge profit on this race. Far as I'm concerned, time to pay it forward to the victims of Sandy and give it back to the runners as people are so chutzpahdik-ly (not a word sorry) saying runners should do.

Gaye, I'm so sorry. It sucks what happened, all around. My invitation is always open of course. I hope you will forgive me if I came across as unfeeling or abrasive regarding the marathon, it was not my intention nor was it ever directed at you.

#15 ·
I can't help but think that the mayor waited to cancel to get the most $$ out of the marathon as possible. By waiting until the bitter end, plenty of runners came to NYC, ate out, stayed in restaurants, and shopped in the downtown stores/expo. Maybe I am being cynical, but the best decision would have been to cancel at the beginning of the week. Gaye, I am so sorry for the wasted weekend, the wasted money and all the training. I am incredibly sad about the utter devastation in NY and NJ from the storm. So much suffering and loss, morphing into anger and pain. Awful, all around.

Nothing new here. DD2 has been sick. Have been eating my weight in Halloween candy
greensad.gif
. We were planning on a hiking adventure today, but it is threatening rain and DD2 is still coughing like crazy.

#16 ·
grouphug.gif
Gaye!! I'm so sorry to hear about this mess!! It's absolutely the wrong-wrong-wrong thing to do to cancel after everyone has arrived. They should have made that decision days ago. I hope you are able to make this weekend somehow special.

JG - me too, on the candy. Got to get this junk out of the house, stat!

Mel - wow, you are hard core, working out through the coughing. Think of the awesome ab workout!
lol.gif

#17 ·
Gaye-I'm so sorry. It is very disappointing how the upset is directed at the runners.
greensad.gif
I don't think that's right. A lady asked me this morning if I knew the NYC marathon had been cancelled and I kept my answer as short as possible as I didn't want to get into that conversation! I just shook my head!

Half marathon this morning in 1:45:11 which I'm fine with considering some long training runs missed due to other commitments (with poor planning on my part) and battling with PF. Cant walk right now due to swelling but I was able to run a good race so it's all good.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Bec-yes I'm planning on the Indy mini! Lets hope my foot agrees!

#18 ·
Sorry this is a whole week late... but I have been working on it, adding details and editing stuff as I remember it. This is my MCM 2012 race report!

0400 hours, the alarm rings after some tossing and turning, listening to the pitter-patter of rain outside the bedroom window. I was relieved to get out of bed and get a move on the day. Nervous as all get out, still wondering at every twinge in my knee if I would even make it one single mile down the road that day. Almost cried and/or yelled any time someone said "good luck!". But now it was finally, time to get ready to go! My brother got up, too, and made us coffee while we got dressed and packed up, we made our breakfasts (peanut butter on w/w bread), took ibuprofen and debated whether to walk to the metro or drive. We finally decided to drive in case it was pouring rain when we got back.

Runners were already gathering at the metro, all discussing the weather, what fare to get on their tickets and nervously checking their drop bags. We got on a train right away and all switched at the Rosslyn station, where there were suddenly not dozens of runners, but hundreds! Despite that, we were able to get on the next train and it was just a short ride to the Pentagon station, where we were all headed. Many runners were waiting in the warmth of the station rather than heading out into the dark, but I wanted to head Coach Greg's advice to hit the port-o-potties early and often, so we headed straight for the escalators. On the way out, I spotted fellow Charleston Runs athlete Rob and chatted with him briefly - great to see one familiar face among so many strangers that morning! Wishing each other luck, we headed on toward the huge parking lots at the Pentagon. No lines at all at the port-o-potties, which was great.

We still had about 30 minutes before we would need to head to the starting area, so we sat around, drank some water and people watched for a while. It was breezy, cloudy and maybe 58 degrees or so, pretty perfect running weather, we thought. When the sun was up, two Osprey airplanes flew over - really exciting! We took one more bathroom break, dropped our bags and headed to the start area. It was packed out there and all of the corrals were already full. My husband walked a little further so he could start with the 4:30 group, and I started somewhere near the 5:30 group. It seemed like no time at all before the Howitzer went off and a little while later, people started shuffling forward. I forgot to check the clock when I crossed the start line, but it was probably 20 minutes after the start, I think.

Finally running! Wow, what a feeling - so many spectators, so much to look at! The first 3 or 4 miles started with a few hills, heading out toward the river. I used my 3:1 run/walk ratio right from the beginning. That took some discipline, but I kept reminding myself that I was in it to finish - and I didn't want to risk ANYTHING to improve my time a few minutes.

Right at the start, the whole road was littered with sweatshirts, gloves, hats and headbands - I saw some nice looking stuff dropped, but resisted the urge to gather anything along the run. I ran right past a Lululemon headband in hot pink!! Mile 5 was up to a bridge to cross the river, and here I took my first fuel because there was a water stop on the bridge. My plan was to fuel every 2nd water stop, which I had worked out would be about every 5 miles or so. I took gatorade at the in-between water stops. Somewhere right after the water stop I looked down at my watch and it was deader than a doornail! Arg! How did that happen on a 100% charge?? I tried all my tricks to try and get it going before just saying - who cares about the time anyway?

I should mention that the water stops were always fun. Tons of Marines and then always other volunteers helping out, either high school kids, boy scouts, a church, young, old, everything. The Marines were fantastic overall, besides being out at the water stops. They were often standing at strategic places shouting out encouraging words, or funny sarcastic statements, I loved that. I can't remember a single thing I heard, but I do remember laughing and enjoying it a lot.

So far, so good, on to the loop up to the reservoir and a pretty steep hill up. I loved the Marine Corps band at the switchback playing their hymn! Up the big hill, through some nice neighborhoods and up to the reservoir, then back down. Here was where I decided to walk downhill, the first and only unscheduled walk break. I think this next part was Georgetown, which was very busy and crowded, and the wind really started to kick up a bit here. The spectators were bundled up, but temps were perfect for us. Long section under an underpass, then up the other side toward mile 10-ish and the Lincoln Memorial, if I remember correctly. Somewhere there was the food stop with oranges, which I avoided like the plague. Didn't feel like being any stickier than I already was. I kept thinking I would use some water at a water stop to wash my hands but didn't remember to do that the entire time.

I watched for my family at 10, because I thought they would be there, but later found out that they didn't make it to that spot and headed straight over to 15/16. Oh well, it gave me something to look forward to the whole time, hoping that I would see a familiar face in the crowd. The next part was down to Haynes Point, around the golf course. I knew from my coach had told me that this part would be lonelier and it could be windy - both proved true. Some nice things here were the handwritten signs - probably over 100 of them, so there was always something to read. Another were the photos, names and ages of fallen in action soldiers - chilling - followed by a line of 20 some American flags held high. Whew! So though this section was not as "fun" as the others, I loved it, too.

The halfway point was when I began to feel my hip a bit. I knew it probably came from favoring that bum knee of mine, but it also reminded me that ... hey... I don't feel a thing from that knee! Good news, so I think it was here at the halfway point that I finally started to think, my knee is fine today, and it's not going to stop me!

After this, we ran through lots of pretty streets with trees, tons of people, and I saw my family for the first time. Awesome! I had somehow managed to miss my son, older daughter and brother, but saw my sister-in-law, nephew and younger daughter. I stopped to say hi, just awesome to see familiar faces.

The next big section that I remember was the mall. It was very long, very crowded, bands, music, people, kids giving high-fives, just all kinds of funny things. People handing out plastic spoons of vaseline? No thanks ha ha! Onward - I think I was a little foggy here, though I felt fine, just because I got confused about what mile we were on. The next big piece I remember was the bridge of "beat the bridge" fame. There were a few shouts of joy and relief that we had made it - but I found this part to be quite a let-down. So few spectators (we were pretty spoiled by then) and just a long, grey interstate with nothing much to look at. It seemed like everyone was walking here, and I found that to be demotivating. I really felt my hip here, my quads, my feet - just kind of wanted it all to be over. I knew it was only 1 hour until the finish, though, and that thought drove me on.

When I finally got off of that bridge and started to head down into Crystal City, it was a relief! I loved Crystal City! Tons of people, great music, people handing out donuts, lots of fun stuff! Loved this part! I think we must have passed mile 24 here, and all that comes after that is back to the Pentagon and over the same road where we started. The long route around the Pentagon is tough - everyone was tired, I was pooped with a capital P, but feeling mentally good, so I didn't let the long line of runners out ahead of me get me down. I knew I would make it by then. I saw my family again between 25 and 26, but didn't even stop, just waved and kept running - I was so close to finishing! By the time I got to that hill up to the monument, by george, I ran up it all the way. My finish line pictures look terrible, but I felt great! It was a wonderful feeling to pass that line and get lots of high fives from all the Marines there! They have the finish area down to a science, I got my medal and salute (I cried), got my picture taken, got my post-race windbreaker and food, and the next thing you know, it was all over. Whew! Chip time was 5:27:33, or 7,314 out of 10,005 women. Woo-hoo! I couldn't be happier.

Sore quads, calves and mostly my left hip, but basically I had an excellent race! I never regretted not bringing my ipod, there was never a dull moment, really. Now less than a week out from the marathon, and my knee has not felt this solid and good in ages. I plan to start running tomorrow, on the 1 week anniversary of my very first marathon.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

I can't help but think that the mayor waited to cancel to get the most $$ out of the marathon as possible. By waiting until the bitter end, plenty of runners came to NYC, ate out, stayed in restaurants, and shopped in the downtown stores/expo.
Yep. I don't think it's cynical. I don't think it's any accident that 40k out of 47k runners had already arrived in the city.
whistling.gif

Nic--Honestly, you've never struck me as a "New Yorker," fwiw. So you were in no way included in my critics of the city (or state) people.

MelW--thanks for a great race report!

On NYC: I'm not sure what to make of it all. It's clear there are some areas that are clearly being underserved right now, whether from lack of resources or indifference. Then again, there are so many areas that need help (like oh, Maine, NH, Vermont, the rest of New York State, West Virginia, NJ, etc) that the lack of water/heat/electricity is not limited to a few areas of NYC.

Most New Yorkers I've met (Nic excluded, along anyone else here who may be or have been from NYC, including my DH who was born there), don't understand there are people outside the city who are just as important. I saw someone tweeting last night about destroyed homes in the Rockaways asking why the Red Cross wasn't there. As best I could tell, no one was hurt, injured or in need of supplies as the house pictured was clearly not inhabitable. But this woman was tweeting about it and a restaurant because apparently the Red Cross should go in and shore it up or unclog the sewer or repair the gas line? Last time I checked, the Red Cross and most volunteer organizations provide food and water and assist with emergency shelters. They don't deal with sewage. Police don't deal with sewage or electricity. Those jobs are for plumbers and electricians. There seems to be a pretty major lack of understand about how the world works.

With Katrina, infrastructure repairs were slow, to the best of my knowledge. Busloads of people were sent in, but they were also rescuing people trapped in their houses and other areas for days. Again, I'm not sure exactly what's going on in NYC and not sure that everyone there even knows, but it seems like most people, even if lacking electricity and running water and heat, are at least in structurally sound buildings.

On a completely different topic, anyone know why so many power lines out East are above ground? A lot of ours are buried in Colorado, which means that fallen trees (which we also have less of) don't have nearly as much of an impact. Every time the East has a big storm people are out for days as trees are cut and lines are repaired It's made me wonder why more companies are spending the money to bury the lines (unless maybe having more trees also means there's more possibility of line damage from roots somehow?).

#20 ·
Just came in from a long walk along the shore. Things seem to be coming to a head around here and I am in front of some really difficult decisions and feel scared and alone - also confident on some level because the mama-bear in me is so strong right now - but things are not good right now
gloomy.gif

#22 ·
Shanti, take care and stay strong and safe. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Off for a quick run. More later.

#24 ·
Shanti -
hug.gif
goodvibes.gif
What others have said; anything and prayers!

Flew to Tucson Friday night and back last night
dizzy.gif
. Climbing comp. saturday. Good and weird. It was conducted like no other Ive been to. Results not up yet. Will let you know

#25 ·
Shanti - Thinking of you mama. I know you've got the strength, I'm sorry that you've got to use it this way.

Mel38 - Great report! I felt like I was right there with you. So glad your parts cooperated for the big day.

Long weekend happening here. Dd1 and I were off-island yesterday. She had two soccer games scheduled. They lost the first (the other team had some truly large 'under 11s' on it, one of them was bigger than me!) then we went out for lunch with most of the team which was one of those weirdo experiences where we ended up sitting with people we either don't really know or who don't really like us, kids and parents spread out around three different sections. When we went back to the field for game two the kids spent a half hour warming up again and doing some drills until it became apparent that the other team was blowing us off. No call or anything, just a no show. I can't understand how they could be so rude. Had we known we were done after the first game we could have all either accomplished some errands or made an earlier ferry home. So that was a long day. Then dd had a long and difficult meltdown in the evening which meant we didn't get to sleep until late. At least the clocks went back! Today I threw a HUGE FIT. Really, totally unhinged when after asking that the girls clean up their rooms for the first couple of hours in the morning I go upstairs and find that the place was still more or less trashed. Those of you on FB know how Naughty Dingo dealt with her messy kids. Me? No, not nearly so cool. It was more shrieking about "how did I raise kids who care so little about the nice things they have?" and "that's IT" If you can't take care of your stuff we're giving it to someone who can!" and then loading up two huge sacks full of everything I saw lying around. Lots of tears and apologies and despair then resignation ensued. Oy.

New York: I'm sort of glad I don't have tv and only see what news I read online. The story about the mother who lost her two sons in the flooding on SI after being turned away from neighbors' homes made me sick. I hope the overall effect of the storm will be more neighborliness but today is one of those days when my faith is a little shaky.

#26 ·
My earlier reply won't post. Thinking of you Shanti. Stay strong, stay safe, and let us know if there is anything we can do. Anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.