Dingoes Running in Search of Light and Warmth in December! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poppy, $9100 is heartbreaking. Ugh.

Dimitri, the monthly events is a great plan. Nice jingle bell time, too.

Plady and sparkle, I appreciate the honesty about the kid achievement feelings. Through we're not there yet, I see so much potential and talent in my oldest musically that I can relate to elements of the pressure/pleasure conundrum of kid activities.

Speaking of music, it was the school Christmas concert this evening. There was a lot of talent as would be expected for a Fine Arts school. There was also a very gendered/stereotyped/heteronormative costume and choreography, the worst case being all of the older grade girls singing an "All I want for Christmas is you" spoof to a full size Justin Bieber cut out. We had an earlier email and phone call to the music teacher for clarification about my daughter's class' song. An email to the music teacher was sent and cc'd to the principal tonight. It may be that we are a minority of parents who saw any issue, at least if I am to trust Facebook.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 AM

Geo- how'd the pumpkin bars/bread/muffins go over? Hope the burn is mending.

Poppy- sorry about the emotional ordeal with your tatas including the cost! One could buy new ones for that price,lol! Praying all goes well physically, emotionally and financially. Wasn't it you that had the twisted ovary during a half marathon?

Jaygee and mamajb- how's the illness?

RR: I did a zwow work out yesterday and then got on the TM But only ran about 1.5 miles before taking a phone call and calling 25 minutes of work out enough for the day. It was a crazy one!

NRR: read about my funny day yesterday: woke up with cold symptoms that have been lurking since the busy weekend, start drinking coffee that I made without coffee, dump that to make a real cup and the grounds bloom so much that they are all though my cup of coffee. Hobble on my painful foot to get kids to school and receive a text as I'm walking out the door that the rental heater sounds like something is broken. Text my hubby to. Look at it and he wants me to ask BIL who is back on drugs to go look t it, sigh. After dropping kids at school I run over the curb trying to wave to the school person directing traffic (which I do successfully every day but yesterday). I get real coffee at BK because its close and yummy and I don't have to get out of the van. Although in the drive through I leaned out the window to look at the tires and wheels and ds1 gently reminds me that I hit the curb on the other side of the van. Sigh-really need coffee. smile.gif. I then somehow miss the return call from the psychiatrist about sons med refills, call back and am on hold 9 minutes, I kid you not and hang up only to MISS return call again!! To my defense I was on the other line waiting for GI surgeon. There's more to the day but I won't keep you lol!! It's all good though because it all could have been major stuff and it wasn't.

Have a good day!! smile.gif
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Jo ~ I read your blog post and things seem to be going well for all of you.  I am so happy to hear that.  I still wish you had a farm close by! ;)

Lofty ~ How are things at your cabin?  How are the boys?  The weather?  I think of you often!  James just mentioned you a few weeks ago when he told me to make a meal like Dana had for us when we arrived. :)

Oh poppy!  That cost is outrageous!  When will all of this take place?

Now that it's winter time, our farm duties have slowed down and activities out of the house have picked up.  Val is in dance and a homeschool group.  I go to a local MOMs group once a week for "moral support of being a SAHM." :)  As the year starts to close and I no longer have a "newborn" baby, I feel like it's time to find me again in the midst of all of the chaos and James and I have been dreaming of running again.

Mine is just making it a priority.  His is actually healing his knees so he has appointments scheduled all over to figure out the problem.  We've gotta figure this out because he has put on some weight and feels sad about that.  He feels so discouraged that he doesn't have his "outlet" anymore.  It's a stress reliever for him big time!

It feels good to be here. <3

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM

Jen, what meal was that? Wish I could make it for you all over again! Love that profile pic. Yummy boy. joy.gif

RM, I've had those days and have wondered why I bothered getting out of bed. Hope today is much better! smile.gif

Poppy, I agree - you could buy new tatas for that! greensad.gif

Mel, haha Justin Bieber? I thought Bieber Fever had passed by now.

Off to the city. I am so jonesing for a run. I think it's 1) the weights and 2) the weather. It finally dropped below freezing last night after having highs in 80s last week. Wish I could just go and run in it for as long as my body would let me go, talk to the farmers, moo at a few cows... lol.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM

JenLove - It's good to have you here again!

Poppy - Ouch!  How about shopping around a bit and/or flying down to Mexico to have it done?  Seriously.  I bet there are perfectly competent drs just over the border who could tell you what's what for a lot less.I'm going to poke around the internets.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

JenLove - It's good to have you here again!

Poppy - Ouch!  How about shopping around a bit and/or flying down to Mexico to have it done?  Seriously.  I bet there are perfectly competent drs just over the border who could tell you what's what for a lot less.I'm going to poke around the internets.

Poppy -- what if you called Planned Parenthood or the like and asked for a different clinic?

Jenlove -- nice to see you.

Jo -- thinking of you, we're having chicken soup tonight for dinner.

Geofizz -- hope your rp is better soon.

Mel -- justin beiber?  WTF. I bet there are more thinking parents who are opposed to the song All I Want for Christmas is You.  In no particular order:

a. there's gender issues

b. there's the whole picture of all you want for yourself being another person

c. are there really not other songs that are equally fun for elementary school issues?

Buried in craziness.

Tuesday we saw a dermatologist for Erin's rash. <It had all but gone away and then came back in full force. no change in diet either way.>

She diagnosed impetigo. We are *already* seeing improvement with three doses of oral antibiotics + an antibiotic ointment. Hopeful. Poor child.

Snow here. Lots of shoveling. Did I mention the roofers are here this week? Poor guy (son of crew leader) has had to shovel the roof 4 times.

Swam Monday + Wednesday morning. At dinner last night I talked of going again tomorrow, which means I'm not home when my kids get up and go to school. My youngest mom-guilted me, "But I'll miss you mama!"  and my love.gif dh interrupted her and said, "It is super important for moms to make time for themselves. Your mom spends a lot of time with you and she needs to get out and exercise. It's good for her body and her brain."  I'm still on the fence about going, not sure because I don't want to be too tired to ski! (10 inches of snow in the last week, more predicted for the weekend. you know how much I love to xc ski!).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 PM
bec

Skimming to catch up.  I'm tired, and it feels like there is no end in sight.  I work today 4-9pm, and then I have to be up at 4:00am tomorrow in order to be at work at 5am!  There is exactly 8 hours between when I get off work and when I have to be back at work.  Ugh!  So much for sleep.  And, I have my period this week, and this cycle is kicking my ass. 

Sorry about it all being about me! 

Shanti - Your post about getting the job was a highlight of this week!  It is well deserved and you should enjoy your accomplishment. It sounds like it is going to be a fabulous fit for you!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone - we're still reeling from the quoted price. I keep thinking the dollar figure must be a mistake, but I did ask for clarification twice so I think it is legit. Well, accurate maybe not legitimate.

I did hear back from my OB, who I really like and I think he has a big heart, he's like a sort of paternal figure. He said this: "I spoke to Dr Br__ (radiologist), and while he is not wildly suspicious of the findings he is not wildly comfortable either. I think you should do the biopsy."

I need to do some research on more affordable options but dh is also calling the insurance people today too.

I will come back for more personals later! Thank you ladies! treehugger.gif

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Bec ~ I'm holding space for you now and wishing I could hug you.  That sounds exhausting, so I won't complain about the New Moon and my kiddos keeping me up a few hours.

Lofty ~ You had gone to baseball and left food on the stove - rice, beans, hamburger, butter... I don't know why but I could tell how much love it was made with.  It was so nourishing and we felt so welcome. <3  Btw, that profile pic is an old one of me and Val.  I see Aiden in it though too.

Looking forward to getting our tree after Aiden wakes up from is nap.  Maybe I'll go declutter something now... so much stuff I want to let go of. :)

Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Poppy - I really hope your biopsy is "nothing" and they can come up with a more reasonable price. I has a breast biopsy two years ago, so I know the undercurrent of anxiety that goes with it.

JenLove - great to see you back on the thread!

MelW - seriously, that number sounds wrong is so many ways. Any response to your e-mail?

RR - walked an hour last night and swam for the first time in at least 6 months this morning.

NRR - I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon and noticed just yesterday that my mailing address in their system is my old Bloomington one! Amazon.com was great about refunding and remailing everything, but I ordered a riding helmet from an associated vendor and their response is basically, "too bad". Meanwhile, I need to get a helmet for Kay by Christmas. Argh!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 PM

poppy~Your insurance stinks. greensad.gif I hope something gets figured out and that it's all for naught anyway. hug.gif

jaygee~I did something similar with Amazon, but fortunately caught it as soon as I saw the confirmation email and was able to fix it. I hope you can get the helmet situation straightened out!

bec~Hang in there, mama. The crazy season is almost over!

DS and I had a lovely evening tonight. We went out for dinner and then to see the Zoo Lights. I had a groupon deal for a new pizza place that uses mostly organic and natural ingredients and is all about being environmentally friendly...and it was delicious! One of the best pizzas I've had in a while, and DS couldn't stop saying YUM. eat.gif Needless to say, we'll be back! And then we headed over to the zoo. It was just about a perfect evening for it, not too cold, and not too crowded. I love date night, 6 year old style!

Tomorrow, we'll go see Santa after school and then bake some cookies...we have a three parties to go to on Saturday, two graduation parties and a cookie exchange. Hard to believe that it's less than two weeks till Christmas, except for the fact that I'm stressing out about what to get my ILs for Christmas.

rr~I got sent home early from work last night (overstaffed), so I actually got to sleep last night and work out today, hooray! I'm almost down to my goal weight in our biggest loser contest, and I can tell...I wore my "skinny" tri shorts to the Y today, and they weren't too terribly hideous! orngbiggrin.gif I hit the hamster wheel for 5k before spin class, suffered through some seriously mellow music during spin class (what is UP with the Y instructors lately? Come on, people!), and then got peer pressured into going to pilates class. Phew. It was good, and I am tired!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 AM

JayGee - The same thing almost happened to me when I was shopping at the uk amazin sitte.  The default address was our first Texas address from when we first moved to Mexico.  I guess it's nice to know that's on file in case I ever need to know it but yikes, that would have been an expensive mistake!

Gaye - That date night sounds really fun!

Speaking of Mexico, I spent some time poking around message boards to see if there was any talk of successful and affordable biopsys.  So far I haven't found what I was hoping for but I'll ask my expat friends down there and see if anyone knows anything useful.

Bec - THinking of you.  I feel like I can't get as much sleep as I need, I can't imagine if I was working hours like yours!

RR: Nope.  Today I'm helping in the classrooms and then to work for a bit.  If I get very motivated I might swim today, but I kind of doubt it.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Hey, just popping in for a virtual grouphug.gif Such sad, sad news today, I am just still reeling from it. candle.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Hey, just popping in for a virtual grouphug.gif Such sad, sad news today, I am just still reeling from it. candle.gif

Me, too. I feel like something inside me broke when I heard it. mecry.gif And of course, my first thought was wondering if there were any Dingo moms in Newtown, CT.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 12-14-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

candle.gif

mecry.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Searching for light and warmth...

Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM

So sad and horrified by the news.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 PM

I nearly threw up when I heard about this as I pulled away from our little ES this morning.  It's just unbelievable.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

brokenheart.gif

bawling.gif

candle.gif

Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 PM

candle.gifmecry.gif

Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 AM

candle.gif

grouphug.gif

Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Just overwhelming to think it all over.

And wish people would focus on increasing the good right now. So done with the platitudes. greensad.gif
Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Just overwhelming to think it all over.
And wish people would focus on increasing the good right now. So done with the platitudes. greensad.gif

Yes, I wish for that, too.

One of my FB friends had a nice post about how she decided to channel her sadness and her need to reach out somehow into two different charities for children. I'll share it on FB.

Jen, I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry to hear about the medical expenses that you are facing right now. That's potentially a big expense, but I think you are doing the right thing to try and get all that information up front. DH and I have a similar self-employed individual health insurance, and it's sometimes so stressful to have to think about and plan for things. It seems that there is no single point of contact, and the bills keep rolling in from different providers who were involved in some way. It certainly does add up. He definitely plans to do his next out-patient procedure in Germany. Kind of a drag to schedule a vacation around a colonoscopy, but the savings are huge.

I took my older DD out with me to a very lonely stretch of gravel road out in the Francis Marion National Forest to cheer for runners on a 50k trail run. There were only 3 water/fuel stops along the way, and other than those, we were the only spectators. People were sure happy to see us and our cowbell.

Anyway, I am so thankful to know of all you strong and sane ladies out there spread all over the continent and the world. grouphug.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 12-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks Mel , I appreciate it. It's sad when it comes to that (going overseas) but I am glad you guys have that option available.

Just an update to my situation, DH spent a looong time on the phone with the insurance people and as it turns out, our deductible paid in December does apply towards next year and there is a per person cap on what we would pay for procedures. That cap is around $3800.00, so, even though I am having trouble trusting ANYthing they say, we are looking like it is not as bad as we thought. Not like we have that kind of dough lying around, but it is not as scary of a financial burden as we feared. Now, on to the next - the appt is on Thursday. I'll be sure to let you caring and kind mamas know how it goes. grouphug.gif

Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM

Poppy - well, that seems a little more manageable, although still pricey. Sending you negative biopsy vibes for next week.

I am just so sad. Yesterday's events are playing over and over in my mind. We are hosting our annual kids' Christmas party tonight. Seventeen kids. Not in the mood at all. Sigh...

Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 PM

Poppy, I'm glad for slightly better news. Sending you all kinds of good vibes on Thursday.

I've done a remarkably good job of avoiding media coverage and sadness right now. I know I just don't have it in me at the moment. Today we went to my daughter's violin recital, cut down a Christmas tree and joined a spontaneous tractor ride/caroling around the farm and came home to make a Christmas banner ("It's Christmas, get jolly!") for the window. The neighbours likely think I'm running a brothel, since our holiday banners this year started with "It's Valentines Day, get happy!" and included "It's St. Patrick's, get lucky!". All slogans have been chosen by the kids, and though I have recommended a different format for next year I haven't stopped them from displaying them. Now we are listening to Graceland, the kids are folding laundry and I am about to make the paleo pancakes for dinner.

As a follow up to the gendered Christmas concert we had a very disappointing email from the principal. He said we had chosen our lens through which to view the concert, that that this was not the time and place to critique the "superstructures" of society and that he was immensely proud of everything that had happened the night before. He included a link to the video for "all you need is love". My husband did school pick up (I was working) and spoke with our teacher, who was quite upset about the whole situation, and he eventually had a bit more satisfying phone call with the vice principal who was less dismissive. We'll see. Next week is a homeschooling "compass week", but we will be at school one day for meeting/review with the teacher.

RR- Bootcamp yesterday. I saw the chiro Thursday afternoon and my pelvis feels better than it has for weeks (months?), but tailbone is now very sore. I'll go again on Tuesday and see how it goes. I'm hoping to go climbing tomorrow with the kids.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 PM

Yeah, poppy, it's definitely a better number than the earlier, way bigger one, so that is a percentage less suckiness. Still, I really hope this goes smoothly and simply and perfectly well in every other way, and turns out somehow less expensive even than that. I sure hope. I also get that crummy feeling of not believing anything I hear over the phone when it comes to the insurance company. And that's with "decent" coverage.

MelW, I am with you on the concert. And I think the principal was simply out of line. Of course, I am that mom whose kids don't do the Christmas concert for religious reasons...and I guess that decision might actually eliminate a whole mess of other things to deal with. 

Jennie, I am happy to see you here. I hope James can start to find his pace again. Those beginning years can be so trying, but he will figure it out. I thought of you and lofty yesterday when, possibly for the first time every, my body craved, and I mean really craved, yoga.

We're feeling insulated and a little disconnected from the situation in the US right now. I mean, we're living in a place where rights and freedoms are so not what they are there, but neither are public threats. I could see a lot of wheels turning in my kids' heads, and our hearts are breaking too. It's so huge and heavy.

Love to you all.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 AM

Poppy - I hope that's the biggest number you ever see and that you don't see it again.  Also still imagining you and A high-fiving as you get the news of the all-clear afterward. 

I just heard that my SIL's water broke this evening and is awaiting the new shift at the hospital for her c-sec.  I'm kind of relieved for them that things sound under control and the baby has decided to head out a little ahead of schedule.  They had been planning to pull him on Dec. 21.  This year that just doesn't seem like an auspicious date.  But, any spare thoughts of health and happiness that y'all can send their way in England I'd appreciate.  They could use some breaks.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 AM

Plady ~ thoughts and prayers for your sister-in-law and her new little one today.  Hope it all went smoothly.

Jooj ~ my kids still don't know what happened on Friday.  I guess I should tell at least Jacob, who will certainly hear about it at school.  But not Kirsten.  The children killed were exactly her age.  I can't saddle her with that kind of fear.  Yoga sounds wonderful, by the way.

MelW ~ what a shitty response from the principal.  Geez....

Mel38 ~ what a nice thing to do with your daughter and for the runners out on that lonely section of their race.  I know they appreciated it.

RR ~ I have to walk/run today.  If only for my own sanity and internal peace.

NRR ~ we hosted the children's Christmas party last night and WOW, are 17 kids loud!  There was much trampoline jumping, a few tears (mostly DD1's who gets overwhelmed), way too much sugar consumption, but still a ton of fun.  Some of DS's friends were a little too crazy, to be honest.  I kept finding reasons to go out to the garage for a minute of peace.  I think I took out the trash and recycling about 10 times!  Now to concentrate on wrapping gifts for Christmas Day.  But first I have to teach Sunday School this morning.  Honestly, I am really not in the mood for 10 crazy 5 year olds after last night's mayhem.

Real ~ hope you see this.  Tomorrow night is the first meeting of our tax levy referendum group. If the levy doesn't pass, all elementary specials and junior high extracurriculars will disappear.  All the specials teachers and workroom aides got RIF notification last week.  No PE, no music, no band, no junior high sports.  Our taxes are already huge ($3.15/$100 assessed value, and that's just for K-8, there is another tax for the high school district), but I can't sit by and watch our school crumble even further.  We already have no GATE, no art, no librarian.  I'll pay the additional $.49/$100EAV to save that stuff for my kids.  Not to mention protect the value of our house if we ever decide to sell and get the heck out of here (please, oh please)! This whole issue could get ugly here on the homefront, because DH is adamantly anti-tax.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

It's lovely to be receiving holiday cards from some Dingoes and see the dinglets growing up. Thank you!

Poppy, I hope everything goes well with your test. I can commiserate with the insurance woes. We went for years without any health insurance at all and it was terrifying. We still have some debt from that time. Sigh. Praying that it all works out easily and everything is clean and negative!

Plady, sending good vibes and prayers for your SIL!

JayGee -- that is truly awful about the cuts in your kids' schools. I just don't understand the lack of priority for education and the failure to really get that education is not just about performance on tests or book learning. It's disappointing on such a deep and fundamental level and speaks volumes about our culture. Hoping things go well for you this time...

Jo, miss you.

I forgot what else I wanted to write.

I'm having an odd few days. I am heartsick over the tragedy on Friday. My kids know something really awful happened but I can't/won't tell them because dd1 has tremendous anxiety and sensitivity. Dh actually worries about something like this happening to me as a high school teacher and although I brush him off, the truth is sometimes I wonder about it. There are kids with a lot of rage...even in the 'best' neighborhoods and schools. And of course I worry about my own kids, about having them in school at all (when I have wanted to homeschool for so long and not been able to make that choice), about getting to them in case of trouble, etc. etc. It brings up all my own anxieties and fears and then I start thinking about the little ones and what they went through and I can't stop crying...greensad.gif

Dh bought us a new bookcase unit. I've been wanting one since we moved here as we sold off our old Ikea/Home Depot bookcases before we moved from Florida. This one is a solid wood three-case unit (the kind where the center unit is bigger/deeper and the side units attach). It's very pretty -- a bit more ornate than I would have picked out. He got it through Costco (online) of all places! I was torn between being somewhat aggravated I was not consulted and feeling guilty about that, and happy we have it (he wanted to 'surprise' me). In any event at least most of the books are now shelved somewhere besides piles on the floor.

RR: slow long run this morning. I broke out a new pair of shoes and the difference was awesome -- you know, it was like all of a sudden the other day I realized my shoes were 'done' right in the middle of my run. Still I kind of felt like I was moving through molasses this morning. I think I'm getting sick.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness
User Tag List