Dingoes Running in Search of Light and Warmth in December! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Birthday Jo's DD!!!

Sparkle - I'm in for NM! Not so sure I could talk DH into it though.

JenLove - sending my thoughts for Tripod's return.

Lofty - love the wash-your-age concept!

I have finally gotten my kids to make their beds daily by taking money out of their allowance every time they miss. Each child has a glass jar with their allowance in quarters in it. If they don't make their bed, that's 50 cents. Same with skipping piano practice. I only had to take out quarters once, and now they all make beds daily.

RR - dragging my significantly chubby keister to the Y this morning.

NRR - DD1 asked me what Newtown was this morning, so I gave her a very general idea of the shootings there. She seemed very relieved when I told her the shooter was dead and would not be coming to her school too greensad.gif. I hope to finish my shopping today and get some wrapping done too. Plus I am still waiting for that riding helmet to arrive....
loftmama likes this.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#182 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

JayGee, what a fantastic idea! Going to implement that.

By the way, Smartwool socks are on sale at sierra trading post. I got a bunch of stuff there (headlamp, socks, running bras, etc.) and found online a 40% off plus free shipping coupon (I had to try a few codes I found online before one worked, so YMMV).

Just thought I'd share! orngbiggrin.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#183 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM

I know JG, I remember. I cant remember what he hated about it though, although it makes a very bad first impression so I can imagine. Ive already figured out the area of town you should live in (each has its own vibe, culture, assets/deficits) lol.gif The climate really cant be beat - I would argue for more snow, but not at the expense of sunny days shrug.gif Dh and I actually did a comparison of # of sunny days in the places he applied to residency - there are some parts of the country he says he will not move with me (hello, and good-bye Seattle lol.gif). This town has one of the highest # of blue sky days per year in the country. Which doesnt mean its warm and totally dry. Ive been to Tucson several times in the past 2 years and that place is the serious desert. At least we are up at 5,000 ft. here next to a mountain range, so it's wetter colder and more alpine. JG, you would be living in the foothills, next to trails out your door, and good schools. Lots of athletes here, many come to train for Olympics and such b/c of the altitude. Low cost of living, mmm hm. Just sayin'.

Jenny - praying for the safe return of tripod

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#184 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Happy Birthday Dinglets! 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#185 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM

And I would be in Abiquiu. Or maybe Santa Fe.

In my dreams.

Yes, join the Dingo virtual birthday party! Dd's day inspired her to give me a pedicure and foot massage. I made the soup. There was afternoon tea and cake and ice cream. She had a nice day with her friend, and is happier than I have ever seen her on her birthday.

And dh is bummed to be out of the country but it's OK. He'll be back on the weekend.

#186 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM

And my little Dinglet son turned 8 on Monday orngbiggrin.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#187 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Guess we all know the season for Dingo cross training. *cough* Bolt.gif

loftmama likes this.
#188 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM

The Spring thaw, when it is warm enough to be willing to take our pants off lol.gifbag.gif

#189 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

The Spring thaw, when it is warm enough to be willing to take our pants off lol.gifbag.gif
Reminds me of an interesting conversation I had with my husband the other night..... bag.gif

#190 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM

biglaugh.gif

#191 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

ROTFLMAO.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#192 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM

lol.gif

happy birthday dinglets!

Just an update to my situation - we did move the biopsy back to Jan 2, after finally getting some clarity from our insurance on deductible. Moving the date back speaks for itself. I was looking forward to getting it over with tomorrow, but alas, I am determined to spend the holidays worry-free, so no matter.

Jenlove- any word on tripod? greensad.gif

I need to go back further in the thread to do proper personals. Back soon!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#193 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM

Happy birthday dinglets!!

Jo-I love the pic by the pool!

Jennie-sorry to hear about tripod. By any chance has he made it home?

RR: finally got a run in today, have just been unmotivated this week and swamped with things to do for tomorrow and the holidays. Ran 4 miles today, wasn't pretty but did it, ha ha. I'm supposed to wear the orthotics an hour more each day so today was 3 hours. When I reach 8 hours I am allowed to run in them, so some time next week.

NRR: tomorrow morning is the last bible study of this year and in the afternoon I'm leading ds2's class party (28 kids). I have four games, but I'm always nervous that they will have fun. Somehow there was no money donated (or its been donated but no one knows where it is) and only two parents have mentioned helping. I'm also finishing up teacher gifts, and the family presents. Ahhh!

Hope you ladies are peaceful!!
#194 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM

lol.gif

I stillheart.gif you guys. Apparently a lot of people wait to cross-train until it's warm enough to take your pants off...after a slooooow month or so, we have been getting our butts kicked HARD at work. I barely sat down last night. Phew!

Colorado also has a lot of sunny days, ya know...NM is not your only option! winky.gif

sparkle~WTG on the A+! Rock star! bow.gif

rm~Getting used to orthotics is rough. It really does take that long, so don't rush it! I've had mine about 10 years now, I think, but I still remember how painful they were initially. Now I can't imagine running without them!

jo~Happy birthday to M! I loved the pic of tea on FB! And FS looks like he's having an amazing time...I showed DS the picture at the pool and he thought it was pretty awesome. orngbiggrin.gif We're currently hosting my niece's FS, and I'm such a genius that I totally forgot to take him with us when we went skiing on Sunday, so I borrowed some scissors at the ski lodge and made a stand-in FS. Hopefully DN doesn't look too closely at the pictures! bag.gif

jen~I hope Tripod has found his way home by now. hug.gif

I'm done working for the week! joy.gif And exhausted. As mentioned, last night was rough. I got the short end of the assignment stick and all three of my moms were c-sections, which makes for a super busy night. On the bright side, the night flies by when it's that busy. And now I'm off for four nights, hooray! It's going to be busy, though, so not much down time. DS is leaving for Ohio with XH tomorrow right after his Christmas party at school, but I have two parties to go to tomorrow night after he leaves. Lunch with a friend and a girls' night on Friday, and then skiing on Saturday before I'm back to work Sunday night. And somewhere in there, I need to do laundry, clean the house up, and get packed and ready to leave for the airport immediately after I get off work on the 26th. Somewhere in there, I need to get some workouts in, too. Not entirely sure how well that's going to work...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#195 of 267 Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:

lol.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

lol.gif
Colorado also has a lot of sunny days, ya know...NM is not your only option! winky.gif
Yep. And most of our districts passed mill and bonds this year. And our taxes are lower than Illinois. (Disclaimer: we barely plow the roads when it snows. Big roads, yes. Neighborhood roads, only once, if that. Usually you can drive through it; if not, the metro area is pretty much shut down anyhow.)

JayGee--sorry about your superintendent. Do you know if he'll have to take time off in order to campaign for it? (Colorado prevents all school employees from campaigning for a school mill and bond unless they take vacation time during work hours or do it on evenings and weekends. Our state is a bit obsessed with what taxpayer-funded employees can do.) If so, that might work in your favor. Our superintendent could answer factual questions about what the mill and bond would fund and what cuts were coming (and why) if it didn't pass, but she couldn't, for example, say "please vote for the mill and bond" during official school community meetings and such. She didn't run the campaign either. We had two very dedicated women (volunteers, I think) who spearheaded the process, along with tons of others who contributed in bigger and smaller ways. Anyhow, if there are laws that would limit his participation, perhaps that will make it easier to find someone more charismatic?

Happy birthday to the many December dinglets!

RR: none yet. Must get on treadmill soon.

NRR: I'm crossing my fingers we all stay healthy until after New Year's. DH is coming down with a cold or something worse. It's hard to tell because he's a guy. He complained of sinus congestion and pain when he got home (and complained about many, many other things) and finally decided to lay down for a while around 9. So, we'll see. If one of us so much as has a cold, my sister's family won't come over for Christmas. I don't blame them after what they've been through, but I could do without the angst-filled portion of it all. She's already moved from thinking the baby can't go to church on Christmas Eve because there's only going to be one service instead of our usual two and it will probably be crowded. Today she thinks none of them should go because there will be germs. I don't care, but I really wish she'd stop involving me in these conversations. She also most likely needs a whooping cough booster, but doesn't want to take action (fear of being exposed to germs at doctor's offices, belief she had a bad reaction to the TD and thus cannot have the Tdap but unwillingness to get blood titer [see exposure to germs] or to go to the county health dept for a pertussis-only shot [see exposure to germs]). banghead.gif

My parents have a contract on their house! joy.gif But my mom is not joy.gif because she is the genetic cause of my sister's anxiety. Best bizarre-decisions story out of that corner is this one: their new house has a hookup for an electric dryer. The dryer at the house they're selling is gas. Rather than decide to sell the dryer with the house and buy a new electric dryer, my mother decided that my father will have to redo the connections so it can be a gas dryer. Then they got the contract, and the buyers are asking them to leave their washer and dryer. I was like "great, do it, and then just buy a new electric dryer and save Dad the trouble of putting in a new hookup." Oh no, she likes having a gas dryer and is angry that they want to keep her dryer and insists that she's going to buy a new gas dryer and Dad is going to do the gas hookup anyhow.

The kicker? The main reason they are moving is that she's concerned there will be fracking in her backyard (literally). They're out in the country, southeast of the metro area and there has been increased drilling there. But when I pointed out that the only reason natural gas prices remain low is because they're extracting it via fracking, and that by insisting on a gas dryer and insisting on changing out the electric connection in her hew house, she's contributing to the problem, she just grunted and said she likes what she likes. banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif Ah hypocrisy.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#196 of 267 Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 AM

real demon.gif LOLOLOL. This is the kind of stuff writers call "material." nut.gif

Took the kids shopping and to lunch today. Stick a fork in me. Also, a package arrived from my mom. happytears.gif

#197 of 267 Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 AM

My goodness, Real! What a family dynamic! BTW, I forwarded your e-mail to the director of our tax levy campaign and she was really excited about a lot of the ideas. The main issue we will face is that the average increase will be much larger than yours was. We could probably sell $37/year, but $400/year will prove a little more difficult. Still our FB page is up and running and a bunch of us were handing out cards with website information at school already. Amazing the number of parents who really don't understand the implications of the levy not passing. Oy!

Tjsmama - you don't have to talk me into Colorado! It's been at the top of my list for years.

RR - getting another peroneal nerve steroid injection this morning, so I will be numb until tomorrow, at least. Therefore, no RR.

NRR - shopping is done! Wrapping is not. Snow predicted for this afternoon. I hope it happens!

#198 of 267 Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 AM

No Tripod :(

We have calls in to the shelters and vets, flyers in mailboxes, talked to our closest neighbors and many of them have walked their properties for him.  I am guessing he was either picked up by someone and not turned in or the coyotes (shudder).  It's so hard not knowing.  What a lesson we are working our way through right now...

Happy Birthday Dinglets!!  I saw M's girlfriend day for her birthday and I want in on that celebration!

How's the holiday preparations going, ladies?

Is anyone working on goals for 2013 yet?

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#199 of 267 Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Guess we all know the season for Dingo cross training. *cough* Bolt.gif
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Reminds me of an interesting conversation I had with my husband the other night..... bag.gif
lol.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post

No Tripod greensad.gif
bawling.gif

Can't think of goals yet... other than more training kids to be more independent with home responsibilities (specifically laundry) and school work. Me? Try to get homeschool consulting gig going. Dropped 20 lbs this year. Would like to drop 10 more so the work I put into maintaining is where I want to be, a comfortable fluctuation, kwim? Write more. Everyday. Drive home message to kids that mom's mind needs exercising and not just her body. Also, stop multi-tasking. I suck at everything I do when I multi-task. And try to relax more when I'm homeschooling, loosen up a bit and engage more instead of always being so seriously instructive. I'm turning into "the boring parent." Whoah I better stop now.

I heartbeat.gif Dingos.

Swamped. Lost electricity during the night. Mega storm excess of 60mph winds. Had to move kids to downstairs "safe" room in deep sleep. Never got back to sleep. Lost a tree which blocks neighbors - have to go chainsaw and haul. Pushing kids to wrap up school today with lots of threats to their technology. Probably should run just to work through my jumpy over-active mental state. Can't believe I'm leaving in 2 days. My house looks like the storm came through it. Still not a dang Christmas decoration up. Told kids, technically speaking, Christmas begins on Dec. 25 and last till Jan.6 so we will decorate when we're back. Hope it flies bc it's the best I can do. Oh and car is still in shop - 3 spark plugs. Think I'll just leave it there till after the holidays.

Poppy, peace.gif-ful goodvibes.gif till Jan 2

eta: Nicka, thank you for the Smartwool sale and discount. Forgot both my kids need these for next week.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#200 of 267 Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Lofty - you must have got what we had (the wind) Deck chairs were blowing over here, and they weigh a ton. 20 lbs clap.gif That's awesome. Your goals are so inspiring, but then the way you live is inspiring. Homeschooling bow.gif I couldnt do it

Jenny - greensad.gif Still crossing fingers for Tripod!

JG - What's the argument against CO? Seems like it would be a great fit (and Im not just saying that b/c I seem to be in the Springs several times a year loveeyes.gif

RR: bleh

NRR: date night last night. we finally talked about some things that have been seriously weighing on me/us, the kind of things you dont want to talk about b/c you're afraid of opeing that door. It went well, considering one of the things I wanted to tell him was that I think he is sliding lazily into middle age/where's the passion (for life, self-improvement, evolution). He agreed, and also made some critiques of me that I agree with. At least communication aired out the relationship for awhile. whew. It was getting stuffy.

Saw the movie "Silver Linings Playbook". Go see it! The best movie Ive seen in a long time!!

#201 of 267 Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Well, DS is off to Ohio for the holidays. bawling.gif It's so strange, it's happy and sad at the same time...I'm ecstatic to have a little time to myself, but at the same time, (even though I've done it before), it breaks my heart not to be with him for Christmas. greensad.gif And to boot, I'm coming down with some crud. I dropped DS off at school this morning, and then went back to bed and slept for 3 hours, until I had to get up to go to his school party! I skipped one of the two parties I was supposed to go to tonight, and I've been loading up on zinc and emergen-c, so hopefully I can fight it off. I have too much fun planned to succumb right now...and can't afford to call out sick over Christmas (it involves getting a doctor's note, which would mean an ER or urgent care visit, sigh). The one party that I did go to turned out to be a lot of fun, other than the major coughing fit I had in the middle of it...it was a cookie exchange, with some friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. Fun, although now I have about two dozen cookies that someone has to eat...

rr~Stupid crud. Maybe tomorrow, I guess I'll see how I feel in the morning...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#202 of 267 Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM

Sparkle - a job is pretty much the only thing between Colorado and my family, but that's a pretty big thing.

Gaye - I hope you feel better today

Jennie - I am so sorry about tripod greensad.gif

RR - my lower leg is still numb from the lidocaine injection yesterday, so no running until I can actually feel my foot again.

NRR - I am sad this morning. DH said something that kind of upset me, about just getting through life and accepting that this is the way life is. I often get a vibe from him that I am not the bill of goods he thought he was getting when we married. I am no longer the thin, fit, well-dressed, über-organized woman I was at 30. Having children really changed me, and not for the better, I hate to say. I have lost myself. And therefore, he has lost me too greensad.gif.

#203 of 267 Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 AM

JG - Im so sorry for that. I dont think anyone is the same. The 40's seem to me a time of reflection over what has passed and a re-orientation toward what's to come. It is hard; both coming to terms with what has been, and mobilizing for the next 'phase'. It is VERY easy to lose oneself to motherhood, and very hard to see it when it is happening. I dont think there is a best way to do it, however, I have lately decided that however people choose to parent, they should be happy. I think happy parents make good parents, whether that means staying home or working full time or some mix. I think its easy as a mom to feel a sense of fulfillment in giving yourself to others, in sacrifice, which can feel like you are doing it for yourself as well, only to emerge from the childbearing years feeling like you gave, and now who are you? You have been talking for awhile about figuring out your next move - not that you need one, as you have always struck me as such an involved, active persona and parent - but maybe this makes you think more about just what it is you want for YOU, and if that's doing what you are doing, great, and if not, then you can begin some change? I also think losing ones physical ability is a huge assault on Self. Obviously you are tremendously blessed and able, but you are not the athlete you once were, and the connection, at least for me, between my athleticism and my sense of power in the world (work, relationships, community) ans sense of motivation or connection to the Life force, is so fundamental to the Jess I think is most authentically me, and my best me. It's been a very hard 5 years of letting A LOT go. And I know the past few years have been very hard for you. Big hugs. Can you talk it out with Dh? grouphug.gif

#204 of 267 Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Listening to you dingo mamas talk about all the changes and challenges of marriage, parenthood, personal identity just makes me wish we could all hang out over a hot cup o' jo. grouphug.gifcaffix.gif About 6 years ago, a therapist who I deeply believe in, sat me down and looked me hard in the eyes and told me what an incredible future I have in store. I have hung on to those words like a lifeboat. They come to me in the middle of the night, during a run, when I am at my weakest and my strongest. I took it in and worked it around my head for a couple of years and in the last year or two, I have been determined to see it come to fruition. Though I am not yet living my dream, it is better. And I can live with better.
JG, I hope your best days are ahead of you, too. And I hope that if you're in a not so good place, that that place will somehow serve its purpose and take you through it. Be kind to yourself. If there is another place or way for you to be and live, you will get there when the time is right. Mothering, moving, spouse-ing, each takes its own toll. For now, you are where and who you are supposed to be. May your best days be in front of you. heartbeat.gif

Sparkle, nice job clearing the air. I know that weighted feeling. And the release of it. smile.gif

Tjsmama, I don't know how you do it. Really. I hope the crud goes away fast so you can have a smoking good time that flies by and brings your boy back to you in no time at all.

Run/walk done. I'm doing weights after this and then some yoga stretches. Tomorrow, we fly... namaste.gif

eta: Sometimes I just need to be edited.

#205 of 267 Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM

duplicate post. whoops

#206 of 267 Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM

JayGee, I understand how you're feeling, and I think Jess's wisdom is particularly apt. Especially with your pain and dx issues these past couple years. I was thinking about it, and I actually wonder wth my dh was thinking when he married me. I was a basket case and a serious mess. The darker part of me wonders whether he homed in on my fragility and neediness as a weakness to exploit, or whether he saw past that into my real potential (haha). And that makes me think about where he was in his life then. He was a mess, too. We do change, over and over, and in our case, thank G!d we do. I guess I'd ask whether there was a vision in the first place. Or whether there could be one now. I don't think it's ever too late to create a vision to work toward, and a shared vision can be an incredibly bolstering thing. It can sort of be "the real," serving as an anchor as we pitch through the waves.

I went completely off the rails for M's bday. I was handling things well until the cakes. Well, now the cakes are gone, and I guess since we're still here, winky.gif Age of Aquarius and all that, I figured today was as good a day as any to commit to another real W30. That's it; I am in. There's no good reason I shouldn't, and a lot of good reasons I should, so I am. Today was day 1 and it got ugly. Carb flu for real. But I survived that, and I also spent a couple hours sunbathing on the beach, a half an hour cycling, and half an hour doing yoga.

I have good coffee and coconut milk for the morning. There are good eggs in the fridge and the makings of a nice salad. Of course, there are also 5 boxes of lokum, since dh got home last night from Turkey. eyesroll.gif And one of those boxes is the milk kind with coconut and pistachios. And I am leaving them alone because I am feeling like garbage from the sugar, and don't need dairy pimples all over my chin to add to the mess.

Don't celebrate Christmas, so might as well get a head start on my new year. orngtongue.gif Everyone else will be MIA until NYE or later, too, which should make it easy for me to choose better.

Have also started putting pressure on dh to plan a vacation. He needs to look at his calendar now and make a plan. He's still saying Malaysia. I guess I should see what tickets will run...

Oh, yes and tomorrow is also our for reals 15-year anniversary. So there is also that. flowersforyou.gif

#207 of 267 Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Happy Saturday, folks!

I went for my 100,000 check up yesterday.  I was at the doctor's for an hour and a half.  I got stabbed, sucked, poked, and prodded.  The doctor carved out my callus from my heel to get at my planter's wart that I've been unsuccessfully trying to file down and treat all natural like.  Now I have a huge hole in the bottom of my foot.  I'm also up quite a few pounds, so it's time redouble the efforts to monitor my eating and get daily exercise.  The good news is the my RP is now cleared to walk up to two miles as long as it's not too fast and there are no hills.  At the moment, that goes ok with the mongo hole in the bottom of my foot.

And now my knee hurts more because I've been walking a little funny on my foot, and then I had the great idea that maybe jumping rope would be a good way to get some cardio. 

My MIL has been here for 72 hours now.  I'm spent.  She's a nice woman and does the dishes, but she talks constantly at volumes appropriate of a rock concert, often interrupting someone already talking.  We've been working hard with the kids on not interrupting in the last few months, and we'd made a ton of progress.  Now it's *gone*.  3 days of modeling that you interrupt the 7 year old talking about his day at school to talk about how much of DH's the playground was covered when he was in elementary school and the kids are back to square one.  irked.gif

Hey, she does the dishes.

JayGee, you've had a lot of upheaval in your life in the last several years.  Be gentle with yourself as you find your way.

#208 of 267 Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 PM

JayGee--FWIW, much of what your husband seems to be missing is surface stuff. I'd guess you're also still quite organized, but what that looks like when you have mostly yourself to manage vs three kids and a husband who likely has backslid in that area (as most of ours have seemed to have done), well, what does he expect? There's a reason that as people move into higher levels of management, they tend to have more employees at their disposal to carry out things. You have more responsibilities but not more employees. I PM'd you with more ideas about the mill and bond.

Geo--hang in there. One of the things that makes me most crazy at my in-laws is the volume. Everything is loud, and only gets louder when my nephew is there. We are a quiet people.

1jooj--congrats on 15!

tjsmama--hope you feel better soon. There is so much nasty stuff going around, and not helped like idiots like the mom at dance class who sat and coughed every 60 seconds or less, without covering her mouth, and with infants under 6 months maybe 10 feet away. I finally just sat glaring at her. She apparently has twins and one will go to the class but the other won't go unless mom is there. Strangely enough, their father was there too, so I couldn't quite understand why she wouldn't take the kid who didn't want to go in (and had a nasty cough herself) and go home or at least wait in a part of the rec center that isn't near the babies. Nope, she just sat staring at her laptop, coughing and coughing and coughing, and ignoring her kid. He did the same thing without coughing. And he wasn't working; I could see his screen. Grrr.

RR: should be 6 today. Soon.

NRR: All's calm here, except that my niece is sick again. She attended all of 7 days of school between Thanksgiving and winter break. The doctor heard something in her right lung (where she had the chest tube), but they took her for another chest x-ray and thankfully there was no pneumonia. If there had been, it would have been back to the hospital for another chest tube. Can you imagine? She has a very wet cough, but the diagnosis is that she just picked up a virus and should be fine.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#209 of 267 Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 PM

Real, yes, we generally keep a rather quiet house.  It's a lot of what makes school hard for my kids.  The lunch room is the worst part of their days.

I hope your niece recovers quickly.  My doctor mentioned that their office (3 doctors) has been seeing 1 case of pneumonia per hour this week.  It's been a bad season. 

#210 of 267 Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 PM

JayGee, I can't say anything that lofty and sparkle haven't already said more articulately. Be kind with yourself.

Geo, this may be dense, but what's a 100,000 check up (google brings up all car-related links)? I've been working on some plantar warts via natural measures, and have successfully made a huge natural hole in the bottom of one heel. Ew. Good luck with your MIL visit.

Real, sending lots of healthy vibes to your niece and to your whole family.

jo, happy anniversary. Wishing you the best of success with all of your New Year's goals.

Safe travels, lofty.

My week in a nutshell: Big snowfall and power outage Wednesday, husband and I both hit by the "barfing" virus on Thursday, last day of lab testing at the college yesterday, more snow, more shovelling, a night shift at the hospital last night (there is something poetic about staying up for the "longest night", even if it's still the same number of hours) and a ton more snow today. All of my exercise has been shovelling at times with very heavy slushy snow. I'm mostly ready for Christmas except for some stocking stuffers and the final grocery store trip planned for early tomorrow morning. I am officially finished working until the 27th, but that doesn't stop the hospital from calling...

Resolution list is in progress- this is the first year in many that I've accomplished everything on my list and am not carrying anything over to next year!! Amusingly, when I reviewed last year's list I had thought that I had put something about treating my feet (plantar warts and occasional fungus and generally abused and not sandal-friendly) on my resolution list. I didn't, perhaps knowing that I wouldn't quite finish in 2012. It's well underway, and I hope to wear sandals again in 2013. Other goals are not just applying for masters programs but actually starting classes (see how wily wording got me off easy last year...), a trail half marathon, and something being more playful and less serious in my casual interactions with people. Still thinking- I usually have about 6-10 items on the annual "to-do" list. 

I have lost the kids crazy carpets and can't find them anywhere. We're off to the sledding hill with frisbees to slide on. I want the exercise of a walk into town and to get out of the house to recover from my post-night-shift fog. While I was sleeping the family cleaned the kitchen and vacuumed and made me happy to wake up in a cleaner house than the one I feel asleep in :)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page