Problem with weight management over holidays? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I lost a good amount of weight this past year from eliminating sugar & processed foods and reducing most carbs. The only way I could do it was by totally eliminating those things completely from my diet. Over Thanksgiving I decided to let myself eat some different desserts and breads and I immediately gained 10 lbs in like a week! I also have thyroid issues, which might contribute to how fast I gain and how hard it is to lose. I am totally addicted to sugar, so I feel like an addict that was given a drug, and I just cannot get clean from it again. I've tried about 5 times since then to start again eating the way I know I need to in order to be healthy, but I just keep failing. I am just dreading Christmas because of all the food that is going to surround me. I definitely have pressure from family to eat the food they make, so that doesn't help. But, when I was "clean" and hadn't been eating sugar for such a long time, I didn't have the cravings and was able to just say no. I can't seem to get to that place again. Anyone else have such difficulty with food like this? What do you do over the holidays? Should I just say forget about it and I'll think about it after Christmas when I go back to normal life? I feel like a loser saying that because I probably will gain another 5 lbs at least and then I'll have even more to lose. I wish I would have never messed up my food habits over Tday so I'm angry at myself.

#2 of 3 Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM

I would say #1 stop beating yourself up over Tday! I know exactly what you mean and how hard it is to stay motivated.I'm the same way with the sweets. I actually joined an online weight loss retreat right before Halloween, and it was the first time I lost weight over those holidays. I think the thing that motivated me the most was the fact that there was a facebook group and different telephone calls/classes to keep my head in the right place. I ended up losing 10 pounds in 6 weeks, which is awesome and almost unheard of for me. Everyone in my house is sick right now, including me, and I gained back a pound. But I'm not panicking because I know I have this program going on, and I'll get back on track. I was hesitant to try it because there wasn't a lot of info on it online. However, something just told me to go for it. It's all clean eating, tons of great recipes, fitness videos (traditional and yoga), even a relationship expert. The girls who run it are fabulous. They answer questions on Facebook in the group, so if I was wondering about a recipe or how to make one of my recipes cleaner, they could help. The ladies in the group are super helpful too. Something just led me there, and I was so glad. So that's what works best for me. I tried Weight Watchers and I've been to a dietician, but even with both of those, it wasn't truly clean eating. But something where I don't have to drive out to the meeting and can listen in on the computer or phone works great. If you are interested, I think they start back up on Jan2nd, and from that time on, it will be a course that anyone can start at any time. It's called Lighten-Up by The Good Life Coalition.

In the mean time, I suggest trying to make ahead as many clean meals as possible for when things get crazy. I think McKenna Gordon, one of the ladies who runs the weight-loss retreat has a website and I believe there are some good recipes. She also has a book of holiday recipes that are clean-eating-friendly. I know she just posted a smoothie recipe on her Facebook page, and I have seen some of her stuff on Pinterest. Sorry I can't dig up links right now, but if you're interested, I can dig them up later.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#3 of 3 Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 AM

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page