Dingos Run Walk Dance Box Pose bike and Swim into 2013 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 338 Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many hours can you spend shopping (online, and actual stores) for bathroom sinks? Apparently, MANY dizzy.gifeyesroll.gif We're remodeling 2 bathrooms, and I dont like to shop, but Im not willing to just put whatever in there. I know, first word problems indeed!

Gaye - welcome back. Those are the kinds of stories Dh comes home with almost every day. Funny and sad....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#302 of 338 Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

I don't know if anyone is interested, but this article - http://www.bnd.com/2013/01/30/2477493/we-cant-cut-forever-metro-east.html clearly explains the funding issues with our local schools. And if you read the comments at the end, you can get a taste of the closed-minded, anti-education jerkishness we are battling with our upcoming tax referrendum. Sigh....
FWIW, I think those comments pop up everywhere now. Our "truth squad" would descend on articles like that so there'd be at least as many positive, supportive comments as negative ones, and ours linked to actual data and cited facts. If you can round up a few other parents who are willing, it certainly makes it look like there's a large contingent out there that supports it, aside from the usual curmudgeons. If it's any comfort, the arguments cited there are almost word for word the same ones we saw here. Some people are listening/watching a bit too much right-wing media....

Also, it will be exhausting and frustrating and you'll have the impression that everyone is against it, but really, it's a small group of people. Most people aren't bothering to comment, even if they're reading the comments. Those are your real target.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#303 of 338 Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM

Fly-by posting.

Boot camp tonight, modified for my shoulder/neck.

My car is fixed from the car accident. I'm still waiting for my body to get fixed. I wake up feeling good every morning, but have a headache that sets in mid-day. It feels like a sinus headache,but only on my "bad" side. It's been five days and I'm starting to get tired of feeling worse now than I did in the week after the accident. My chiro tried a different adjustment today and I'm back to icing.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#304 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

Fly-by posting.

Boot camp tonight, modified for my shoulder/neck.

My car is fixed from the car accident. I'm still waiting for my body to get fixed. I wake up feeling good every morning, but have a headache that sets in mid-day. It feels like a sinus headache,but only on my "bad" side. It's been five days and I'm starting to get tired of feeling worse now than I did in the week after the accident. My chiro tried a different adjustment today and I'm back to icing.

What does the chiro say about that? Have you been back to the doctor you saw post-accident? I am just wondering whether you might have more extensive injuries from the accident than they previously thought. I hope you have some relief. I guess icing is best to keep the inflammation at bay, but when I think of an achey neck and shoulder, a nice trip to the sauna sounds heavenly.

Lisa, the "truth squad" idea is a good one, just to get both sides of an argument out in the public eye. It seems that the people willing to take the time to write (and often complain) about an issue are the ones who are heard and set the tone for what we believe the general populace thinks. It's good to keep in mind that it's just a tiny fraction of the real people out there.

Sparkle, ooh, 2 bathroom remodels at once? You are truly brave!

RR: Early up with DH to run some hill repeats on the bridge. It was cold (for us, remember redface.gif), around freezing when we got there, but no wind, so it was very nice.

I have a meeting scheduled with DS's 1st grade teacher on Wednesday. DH and I discussed him and his situation on our run, so it was good to listen to each other. He is worried that DS will feel "dumb" if he is at the bottom of his class, and those feelings of inadequacy will be bad for his self-confidence. I see that point. When I talk to DS about school, I try to remind him how hard he is working and how much he has improved, and I hope that being last will also be a motivation to work hard and to learn to appreciate what he has achieved. But we both want to also hear the teacher's point of view and not be too reactive. Anyway, more to come on this topic.

Older cat is tolerating the kitten a little bit better lately. thumb.gif No overt aggression, he just acts irritated and leaves the room when the kitten gets too close.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#305 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Truth Squad sounds like a great approach, including for letters to the editor. Though exhausting.

I second the suggestion to get to the doctor, Mel! Going into the second week, it's more than muscular.

I'm glad you got a good talk with your DH on your son. To stick my neck out again, I've found it very useful to work to pinpoint what's hard and decide if it's too hard, and then break it down to figure out what pieces of the area are hardest. For instance, DS finds writing really hard. We've noticed that the more free form the assignment, the harder it is. So answering reading comprehension questions, or writing 4 sentences using the word 'next' goes ok, but the 30 minutes of journal writing produces nothing. Writing requires figuring out what to write about, how to word it, figuring out how to spell the words, figuring out how to form the letters, remembering to capitalize, etc. So looks like the composing bit is hardest, not the rest. DS has now been refered to a speech and language evaluation instead of a writing evaluation, and we have temporary accommodations in place where less structured assignments are supported by giving him more structure, with topic and length expectations spelled out.

Why does torturing the IT band with the foam roller help with inflamation? I'd think inflamation needs ice, not further aggrivation. Honest question.
#306 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Torturing it is supposed to break up knots, which thereby lengthens the band. The temporary inflammation is counter-balanced by the ultimate outcome of some additional length/suppleness which will make the stress on it less. But from what Ive read, the knot breaking/lengthening is not a sure path to relief, where strengthening seems to be better backed up by studies.... shrug.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#307 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I do believe I have done my weight training for this week. The weigh scale at the landfill registered 1500 pounds of garbage from our basement, almost all of which I bagged and carried up the stairs and outside. That doesn't include the stuff I was able to save by carrying it upstairs and then back down again  - and  that was actually the heavy stuff!

#308 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Wow! that is a weight work out Shanti!

We went to a swim team birthday party in the neighborhood just the other side of the canyon last night and it would have been relatively uneventful except for the mention of coyotes in the neighborhood. A momma and 3-4 little ones have been cited and people are bringing pets in at dusk. So, I tucked this info away and checked wikipedia when I got home.

Ds runs in the canyons and I tend to run on the sidewalk along the street through the canyon (down and up and then back) or along the top in the neighborhood (much more level!). I run before the day starts or after it ends. He runs afterschool or late morning on weekends. Given that I am in Southern California along the described suburban-wildland interface I am not reassured. What do I need to worry about and when do I need to worry? This is more upsetting than the report that The Plague was found in rodents in the county. In the past I have been sent inside by opossum, raccoons, skunks, weirdo scary people in giant pickup trucks, and now this. Please tell me it is okay and not nearly as bad as the previously mentioned weirdos.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#309 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Super behind. Very busy & productive week writing. Essays, Short stories & 3 Blogs not to mention the rest of my life.

RR- only ran once on Monday. No weights. No yoga. Must move my body this weekend.

Geo, good luck with strengthening the glutes and helping out the IT band. Sorry about RP's family and ALS. greensad.gif

MelW, I don't like Kombucha but I wonder if my kids might. I'll have to look into this.

Plady, Good luck with that decision. Her teacher sounds awesome, thank goodness. FWIW, ds1 was definitely a grade behind. As a teacher, I knew that he'd be okay but if he ever wanted to move back up, he couldn't. This is one major reason I homeschooled. He stayed a grade behind consistently through elementary school but during the middle school years has easily leaped a grade ahead. If he was to go to school now, it would be easy for him to be at the top of his grade and he wouldn't have had to experience the "not being on level" thing that I was so worried about. I don't mean to suggest you should homeschool, I just mean to point out that learning happens in starts and stops. Good luck.

Sparkleville, the LEADVILLE 100! Wth! Does he have too much time on his hands or something?! Wow! Super-impressed here. orngbiggrin.gif

jooj, ds1 flipped his d & b for a long time, too. Too long. And his handwriting was terrible. He can be maddeningly on the slow side which worries me no end. Anyway, they're all fine now as is his handwriting. Not saying she's just like my ds1, just wanted to say maybe there's still time for those letters to turn around. Some kids are just late bloomers. I have one late bloomer and one early bloomer, neither right in the middle. Opposites. Hope the acupuncture helped. That trip sounds nice.

Nicka, Could you get him to prescribe a "cleaning service to get the dust" out of my house? Only it would have to be once a week, because the mortar between the logs and the unfinished cement floor and the woodstove just creates ash everywhere it seems. Doesn't that sound bucolic? Yum, maple syrup. Hope it wasn't too much. greensad.gif

JG and Kerc, love hearing about your learning style. I fall in the note-taking category and there was much agony involved using this form of learning on ds1. Who apparently remembers every single thing he hears, not writes. Maybe that's another reason why his growth is so quick now, too. He gets a lot of opportunity to learn aurally from dvds, various programs, and lots of discussion. Of course, we just learned from his daily stumbling that he also doesn't see well. His eyesight is going downhill pretty fast, at least in my experience though the eye doc keeps assuring me this is quite normal at his age. greensad.gif

Mommjb, So excited you and Plady get to hang out soon. joy.gif

Oh and re: Science Fair. Here's a guide by Elemental Science. I've bought their curriculum but haven't purchases this but for $5 it might be worth it. Maybe there's a sample?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#310 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Mommajb, are the mtn lions that far south? I'd figure out the best way to deal with them when in the canyon. Probably during the middle of the day, it's not that big of a deal, but I would think about it for dawn and dust. I know my mom's seen some in the canyons south of SF, and one was seen trotting across the playground of my neice's elementary school. bigeyes.gif:

Jooj, these kids aren't too old to work on handwriting, focusing on making forming the letters more automatic. Does she hold the pencil correctly? When kids take a less asymmetric grip, it makes it harder to get these asymmetric letters straight. I made DD fill in her middle school registration paperwork herself. She wrote her own last name with the 'd' backwards. eyesroll.gif
#311 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM

The ladies said coyotes, no mention of mountain lions, but thanks for the added worry eyesroll.gif Even I am laughing at me. Honestly I would worry more about mountain lions in east county but these are urban canyons. When I do some more research it does seem like my running times are not great -I should stick to urban roads and away from canyons and the edges of them if I can pre-dawn/dawn and dusk/after dark.

I was watching a movie with ds2 and he was so excited to 'hold the remote himself.' Amusing enough until he starts fast forwarding. When questioned he says that he doesn't like the scary parts or the parts where there is nothing but talking. At least he got to bed on time last night. lol.gif

#312 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM

mommajb, mountain lions are a worry, IMO coyotes really are not unless you are with a dog or unless you are a small child. Mountain lions are another story. We had coyotes on the farm, and they were only a worry for us with regard to lambs and chickens. Mountain lions look and sounds very different from coyotes, and will stalk adult people and attack quietly from behind. Better to run the trail with a group. And also loudly.

On school and "holding back," I just wish there weren't such stigmas attached. How age-obsessed kids (and their parents) can be! Self included. Here, schools do KG1 and KG2, so it's not weird to have 2 years in before grade 1. Of course, it is also the more common thing to start earlier, not later, unless one is a super-self-assured northern European (think Scandinavian).

Shanti, you deserve Nic's rx too. greensad.gif Wish you both could come relax on the beach for a couple weeks.

Yeah, Geo, you are right, and dd needs BOTH handwriting and keyboarding practice. She CAN write exquisitely, but it's when she hurries (because it's not her favorite activity or subject and she is looking to move on to something she likes more) that she makes a mess. Most of this is a battle of wills.

Speaking of which, I caught a cold this weekend, so yesterday dh stepped in and rode herd a little. Kids' room is clean, both kids got a second-parent-talking-to about most of the same issues I have been struggling with, and by dealing with the mess of the room, dh does realize, the apartment IS too small. It's been hard because he picked it all himself, and I hated the very online photos of the listing in the first place...and then he Skyped from here and tried to declare what a huge space it is while I was unconvinced...and now finally, after a few weekends actually inside the space, he realizes it is not enough space for what we are doing here. So, he will be looking for a 3BR over the summer, and we will return to a different place. I pray it is not a villa, because I don't need all the extra work of a garden here, but we shall see. We checked out an awesome duplex apt a few weeks ago, and I'd take that in two seconds.

There's more, but I am leaving for more needles in ten minutes...

loftmama likes this.
#313 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM

jo, I'm glad your husband is seeing your needs for space now, too. Terrific to have him step into your shoes and see the same issues :)

loftmama, I think my kids prefer water kefir to kombucha, but I have kombucha going on. My oldest likes it with a shorter ferment/sweeter tea, and the youngest will devour it any way I ferment it.

Shanti, that is an amazing workout! I hope you get some rest and relaxation now.

Plady, I'm glad the meeting went well and hope you find solutions that work for your daughter.

Mel38, good luck with your school planning, too.

mommajb, I've had a lot of coyote encounters while running in Vancouver and they are pretty fearful and not so big that you wouldn't beat one in a fight. Now I have the black bears and mountain lions (we call them cougars) to deal with in our forests. My husband and I have an ongoing debate over whether to be more afraid of of the bears or cougars. I vote cougars, ad according to google Vancouver Island has the most cougar attacks and fatalities in North America. I see bears on a pretty regular basis, but have never seen a cougar. As a friend of mine jokes: I've never seen a cougar, but I'm sure that they have seen me... Hubby worries more about bears because he thinks he's less likely to beat one in a fight. Mostly the bears are big and dumb and not interested in humans since there are lots of berries and garbage to eat.

Thanks for the concern about the shoulder/neck. In a typical small town way, my doc was at bootcamp on Friday night, and I'll head in to the office on Monday if I don't have significant improvement. Today was headache-free, so I'm optimistic. Chiro thinks that compensation from the initial injury lead to some new muscular tension higher up and some impingement on the orbital nerve causing the headaches. It makes sense in the context of the day- increasing tension. The 40 min drive to work and 60ish minutes home are really not helpful.

RR- Tried to go climbing today but the gym was closed for a roller derby game. We did a couple of blocks around the block instead.

NRR- I forgot to mention that I have a job interview on Monday to teach prenatal classes. They're free classes offered by public health, and I would teach the L&D component. It's only 1 or 2 days per month, but I think it would be fun. My sense from the phone call is that the interview is mostly just a formality to see if I'm a good fit. Also on Monday, I have round two of the attempted IUD replacement. Fingers crossed that the GYN can get it switched out in the office (family doctor failed when she tried).

#314 of 338 Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 AM

Just a quick drive-by on the coyote situation. They are common here, even in these fairly urban areas. There are signs posted at the Patriots Point and near the bridge where hundreds of people run and walk, and literally right beside sports fields, playgrounds and other public areas. I haven't heard of one attacking a leashed dog or any human, but I am sure that they live off of any other small animal including unleashed pets. I don't feel afraid of them, though, just because I haven't ever heard of anyone being bitten or even approached. On an early morning run last summer, I saw a baby coyote near the fence to the shipyard in downtown Charleston! In general, I worry much less about them than about the dogs that regularly approach me and bark menacingly. I'm more afraid of a rabid animal, though, but there is not much to do about that except to avoid running anywhere outdoors.

Mommajb, that's one way to get through a movie - skip all the talking parts! Funny.

Loft, that does sound bucolic, but I'm with you on the cleaning service. It would need to be weekly around here, too.

Which reminds me, I have 6 hours of work today, and then cleaning before a houseful of people descends upon us for the superbowl. I better get busy!

Have a lovely Sunday everybody!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#315 of 338 Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 AM

Melw - you just reminded me, thanks....

NRR: I went for a first appt. with a gyn. just to establish myself with someone who can hopefully be a sounding board with some specialized knowledge about this hormone stuff. Short (expected) version is that she said it sounds like Im doing everything right bla bla bla, but she did mention that she puts more IUD's in women in their 40's than women in their 20's because of this very thing; that the IUD helps with the mood swings/hormone distress. So Im going to do some research. But i wondered if any of you are using one and if you noticed a difference in mood, or physiologically in any other way?

#316 of 338 Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 AM

I noticed mood changes in the WRONG direction when my IUD hit 3.5 years. Which is why I then went on a minipill. Which has one TMI side effect which I will call *BCM.

Lofty, my dd is definitely the hearing learner. I had her read aloud to me tonight. We need to do that more. Ds worked through more note-taking, a detailed formal outline, and 2/3 of his first draft today (in just a couple hours; he got his other work done, too). He remarked on how easy the writing part was, once the notes were taken and organized and the outline written. om.gif

Fingers crossed for the IUD removal, MelW. It's freaking me out a little to think about it, but I am confident your obgyn will just handle it. And I hope the headaches disappear completely and immediately.

We kayaked yesterday, which was awesome but not long enough and *WIMP ALERT* kind of chilly. We were doing this found art cyanotype project. But then the sun went away and it rained (of all days and in all places) so we brought the paper and found stuff home and will do them when the wind stops screaming. Anyway, I awoke with a sore throat but soldiered on, and then fell on the couch in the afternoon and could not be bothered to get off until this morning. The good doc gave me some needles in the face today for my congestion. And I just downed 2.5 bowls of Tom Kha Gai. And next I am going out to get nasal spray. Because mouth breathing is overrated. We have another field trip this week, to Dubai, so the kids are on the hook to get the extra work done, and they are so far rising to it. We can do this.

*B is for boogery

#317 of 338 Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 AM

My IUD is copper, not hormonal, so no impact on my mood. I am pretty happy with it as birth control (enough to have a new one put in), though I think for many people the side effects of heavier and crampier periods would be a pretty big deterrent. I had light and cramp-free periods pre-IUD and now have graduated from the "mini" tampons for one or two days and occasionally have a bit of cramping (the cramping seems quite related to my diet and exercise patterns the week before). Probably not all that helpful, but there you have it... FWIW, my removal situation is because the strings were a bit "stabby" once the IUD settled into place, so I had them cut *reeeeeeaally* short. Now they're too short to grab onto for removal. I keep reminding myself that was expected from when I had them shortened, and that it isn't because the IUD has migrated or perforated or anything else scary.

Mmmmmm, Tom Kha Gai. Now I know what I want for dinner tonight! I hope you're feeling better soon, jo.

#318 of 338 Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 PM

Well, from minimal reading (and a prejudice against it) I dont think its for me. In any case, I had a bizarrely good cycle this month. I decided to hit it with mega calcium (studies showing that it helps pms symptoms), mega fish oil, and a small dose of ssri btwn. O and AF. AF came tonight completely out of the blue; no death spiral for 4 days before-hand, minimal depression/anxiety for the two weeks preceding ... just kind of smooth; woot! And it was 4 weeks instead of 6 like the last 2 months. I'm convinced that mega-doses of fish oil are the answer to world peace lol.gif

#319 of 338 Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

mommajb, mountain lions are a worry, IMO coyotes really are not unless you are with a dog or unless you are a small child.
This. We have coyotes here and for a long time they kept to themselves. There have been a few coyotes who have attacked dogs in recent years. I haven't heard of coyotes attacking a lone human. I have seen coyotes while running and they've never more than glanced my way. One time I was running with J in the jogger and one dashed across the road maybe 200 feet in front of us. I saw one last spring pretty close too on a trail, but there was a canal separating us (could it have jumped it? Yes, but it wasn't interested). There was one in our neighborhood when I was running with J last spring but some older gentlemen stopped me before I got there and I turned around. And years ago when R was small enough to be in the jogger I came out from under a bridge and there were two or three of them in open space. I stopped, but they ran off as soon as they saw me. The ones lately don't seem to run off but they're not interested in me or kid in a jogger. (Jogger parts probably taste bad.) :P

Coyotes are the reason I bought pepper spray. I didn't figure I'd really needed, but figured if they needed some extra incentive to be chased away, I'd like to have some. I've taken it with me if I'm running at dusk or in the dark just in case.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#320 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 AM

I think the only time coyotes are worrisome is when they may be rabid. We had one wandering aimlessly through our neighborhood in Bloomington in broad daylight a few years ago. Animal control caught it and it was rabid. We think it might have been a coyote that almost killed one of our cats (multiple puncture wounds, broken ribs), but it could have been a raccoon too. Mountain lions sound scary though!

sparkle - yay for fish oil and easy luteal phases!

Real - I love the Truth Squad idea and will mention it to my friend who is on the referendum committee. It's so nice to be able to bounce ideas off you since I know you just passed a similar referendum in your district. Thanks!

MelW - good luck with the IUD replacement!

jooj - feel better soon. Kayaking sounds fun and your soup sounds awesome!

RR - it's my night to take DS to swim team practice, so I will use my time wisely at the YMCA to do the treadmill and my PT exercises smile.gif.

NRR - I am definitely noticing improvement in my leg since the injections. All the numbness and tingling is gone. I still have pain on the lateral side of my knee, but I'm not sure that's back related anyway. Tomorrow I go back to the pain management doc for a followup and a referral back to PT.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#321 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Weird double post

R

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#322 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mommajb - Yeah, I'd be worried about mountain lions and not coyotes too.  And I don't think I'd worry about Mountain lions where you are, unless you're running much farther to the east than I think.  DH and I happened to catch a glimpse of one once up near Big Sur and it was enormous.  It makes me shudder a little when I think about how close it was to us.  Like Mel said, we hadn't noticed it but I'm sure it noticed us!

MelW - Do you carry anything to deter an attack?  Bears and cougars!  Oh My! - Hope that iud is soon history!

Jo - That soup does sound yummy.  I haven't done anything along those lines in too long!

JayGee - goodvibes.giffor continuing improvement.

Sparkle - Yay for fish oil!  And thanks for the reminder to take it!

Mel38 - Good luck with your decision about ds.  Over the weekend I read Ali G a story about a boy who repeats kindergarten that her teacher had sent home with me.  She seemed to really sympathize with the boy in the story.  Then she dug out her list of sight words and started studying!  lol.gif  These kids are no fools.

RR: I did a little dancing over the weekend with the girls.  We do work up a sweat so I'm counting it.  Last night I tweaked my knee though and had to ice it.  Then while we watched Biggest Loser the girls got all hyper and started running in place and doing push-ups.  It was very cute, and I've got to see where I can work in a slot for us to do more together.  DD1 wants to workout with me, how can I not make that happen?

#323 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM

I am SO. VERY. AGGRAVATED. I'm applying for a federal nursing loan repayment program, which could potentially be worth nearly $30,000 to me...and my stupid HR department won't fill out the online verification that is required because their policy doesn't allow them to disclose my licensing information. Information which I am freely willing to have them disclose AND is available to anyone who has access to the internet and knows my name. Without this verification, my application is incomplete, and according to the customer service for the program, there's no workaround on that end for this. banghead.gif I mean, seriously???? AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

So, of course, I'm so fired up by this that I can't manage to get my brain to settle enough to take a nap, so work should be fun tonight... rolleyes.gif

In better news, we had a really good weekend. I got to ski with a good friend I hadn't seen for forever on Saturday while DS was in his lesson. I snuck away from her and her DS (age 7) long enough to ski a fantastic powder run through the trees and a couple of bump runs. The weather was gorgeous, and the snow was good. And then I slept 12+ hours Saturday night (!!!) and woke up feeling ski-hungover, so I skipped my plans to go to the Y to run on the hamster wheel (no nanny available and childcare doesn't open until after my fav spin class, boo) so we could run some errands instead and do some stuff around the house. Back to work tonight for the next two...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#324 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM

Gaye, that's the kind of issue that gets results in working up the chain.  If you strike out with the head of HR, call the VP of public relations. 

#325 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM

I'm waiting for a call back from the director of HR. If I don't hear back from her, or she won't bend, next step is my manager and the chief nursing officer and/or CEO. I mean, for pete's sake...they're willing to disclose my salary and how many hours I worked last year, but they won't disclose something that's public record? rolleyes.gif

rr~Worked off some of my displeasure with a 30 minute treadmill hill workout followed by spin class.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#326 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Good for you, Gaye. Keep hounding them. thumb.gif

Since we're talking about coyotes, you might like this. Coyotes make loyal pets and reliable parents

No workout for me. I am sleeping an unbelievable amount. Apparently, I will be sleeping through February. sleeping.gif But I am writing like a mutha! computergeek2.gif

We have been almost exclusively bread and grain free for the last several weeks. I can definitely see the difference in my boys that Plady was talking about. And both dh & I have felt great! Unfortunately I blew it the last 3 days with friends visiting, a birthday party and the Super Bowl party. Whoops. My gut is killing me now! nono.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#327 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM
bec

I'm back from a wonderful long weekend in Arizona visiting my BFF!  It was her 40th birthday, so it was really a special time to spend with her.  Among other things, we ran 6 miles of  trail (I probably should not say run so much as hiked vigorously) up a mountain called (interestingly, given the conversation) Cougar Mountain, complete with a statue of a cougar.  We had a lively discussion about the possibility of cougars being right there, right then.  Thankfully, if there were any lurking mountain lions, they were scared off by my labored, sea level accustomed breathing.  It was a really tough "run", but felt good at the same time.  The 5000 feet elevation was definitely a change of pace!  A few days later, we went down into Phoenix to run the Desert Classic Half Marathon.  It was a glorious run.  For the second year in a row, we started late (they really need to get more port a potties!).  But, it is such a laid back race, and it is chip timed, after all, that our 10 minute late start didn't even raise an eyebrow.  We noted, this year, that it really is pretty much a steady uphill, heading out.  This made for a definite negative split coming back!  I believe we finished in under 3 hours, but results are not up yet.  This includes a good 5-10 minutes where we had to make a potty stop (at the one port a potty on the course).  Anyway, the weather was perfect, the road was nice, it was at sea level, and I was with my friend.  It was so nice running with her again, and I have really needed just a good run.  I had 14 miles on my schedule, so we warmed up before hand jogging to and from the car a couple of times with our t-shirts and the like.  It was most of a mile before the race started, and walking back to the car after took care of the last little bit.  So, 14 miles in the book. 

Now, I'm back to snow, cold and trying to survive the last of the oppressive winter in Chicago!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#328 of 338 Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Lofty - I'm so glad you've seen some changes!  I wish I was seeing more, I think the girls have been undoing their progress at home as much as possible.  And this weekend we all kind of gave up a bit.  We had a birthday dinner for Wendy (I can't believe it's been 7 years, and yet that it's been only 7 years) and then dh had a fire department banquet, and then the Superbowl.  The girls and I had nothing to do with the superbowl actually having not been invited to go along with dh to watch it but C wanted to try her hand at making a fresh coconut cream pie and we ate the results even though they weren't exactly as expected.lol.gif

Bec - That sounds like a wonderful weekend!  Loved the happy faces on FB too.

#329 of 338 Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the reassurances on the topic of coyotes. I am a bit testy when it comes to animals on the run. I admit I have altered my route on account of birds - vultures that were not flying away as I approached and a flock of turkey that took no notice of me but birds all the same.

bec, it sounds like you had a great trip and with no mention of any problems at home while you were gone. Woot!
Gaye, I hope your HR issue is all resolved. It doesn't seem like it should be required on the app if it is that easily verifiable nor should it have been a problem for them to provide it. Bureaucracy at work.
sparkle, It sounds like you are on the right track figuring out what you need to feel good more regularly.

I need to run yet today but I am not feeling it. I hope I come around by afternoon when I have the chance to get out. The brain fog is thick today and it matches the marine layer out my window.

#330 of 338 Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM

bec - what a wonderful winter getaway! Hope the return to Chicago isn't too horrible wink1.gif.

Gaye - any word from HR? That sounds so typical of large organizations....

mommajb - run.....!

lofty - good job getting the kids grain free. I've managed wheat free with mine (mostly), but we are still heavy on the rice, quinoa and corn. Still, no wheat has made a noticable difference.

Plady - the pie sounds delish, even it didn't turn out as expected.

RR - went to the Y this morning and walked/ran for 30 minutes, then did PT exercises and leg presses.

NRR - I had my follow-up at pain management today. The steroid injection did wonders to clear up my back pain, hip pain, calf pain and foot numbness/ tingling. Yet the lateral knee pain at the fibular head persists. On Thursday I am having a diagnostic ultrasound of the knee, so they can see what is going on as the knee moves. She thinks the MRIs may have all been negative because what is happening in there occurs in motion and the MRI is static. Fingers crossed for "something"! Preferably, something fixable.

DD1 is driving DH and me totally up a wall again. She has ZERO internal motivation to do anything. Piano practice, bed making, tying her own shoes, taking her backpack out of the car. All of it us done grudgingly and under duress. Now I know DH and I have contributed to this by doing things FOR her for the last 8 years bag.gif and now that we want her to take responsibility for herself a little more, she's wondering why. And fighting back. Hard. And it doesn't help that DH gets fed up with her, and just does it himself while lecturing her about how she should be doing herself what he is doing for her. Another point for DD.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page