Dingos Run Walk Dance Box Pose bike and Swim into 2013 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Real - I'd be really wary too, given the circumstances. There have been times out on a run when my radar was going off and I took a different route, picked up my pace, or turned back. Better safe than sorry.

Plady - glad both of you children are back to school, even if DD1's mood was not so hot. The "glass half empty" thinking can really wear on you, I know.

RR - nice long walk in the sunshine this morning. I am trying to be outside in the sun as much as possible to increase my Vit. D levels. I think low D contributes to a crappy mood. As for running/biking/etc., the doctor wants me to wait and see how the epidural effects my leg pain before I start up again. After that, I will restart PT to strengthen my back, hips and abdominals and "may" be able to run. Unfortunately, the rotation of swimming REALLY irritates my back, so that is out for now. And my road bike also puts me in a very uncomfortable position, so I may switch entirely to my mountain bike and just ride that. Anyone want a 2010 Cannondale road bike? It probably has less than 200 miles on it total! Of course, it's very small sized.

NRR - not much. Ready for the weekend, although we are supposed to go from rain, to sleet, to snow from Saturday to Sunday. I wish it was all snow!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#122 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Lofty ~ My goals are going pretty good.  I wish I could find a bread that James like that I bake.  I fear he likes the airy bread from the store and won't like dense homemade bread no matter what I try.  I'm going to try french bread tomorrow for lasagna at a friend's house.  And we're eating sprouts that I sprouted.  I need to start more this weekend.

JayGee ~ Sorry to hear about the arthritis. :(  I hope you find relief soon!

Any CrossFit ladies here?  I found a Crossfit Mamas site that I pinned on Pinterest and I think that's what I would like to try doing.  Do I just jump in with the workouts?!  Help!  So many moves and new vocabulary to learn.

Alright for now I'm off to pick up after my two tornados, vaccum, get laundry switched, start pizza dough, and maybe squeeze in a workout tonight?  That would be AMAZING!!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#123 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM

jaygee~Sorry about the diagnosis, but I'm glad it's not worse! Hopefully the epidural is a good start to getting you back to your normal active self. I had a series of 3 nearly 15 years ago for a bulging disc, it was a beautiful thing!

We are bracing for the arctic cold front heading our way. It's not going to be TOO terrible down here in town (high of 16 tomorrow), but the high in Breckenridge on Sunday, just in time for us to get up there for our ski "weekend" is....1. Yeah. Monday may be a ski a run/drink a warm beverage kind of rotation. DS is off with XH for the weekend as of last night after cub scouts, so it's just me and the dog for the moment. Although, he's going to be pretty mad at me since I work tonight and tomorrow night and am heading up to the mountains right after work on Sunday...

rr~I *could* have slept in this morning, since I didn't need to get DS up for school, But, no, I was good and did exactly what I would have done even if I had to take him to school...quick run on the hamster wheel at the Y, followed by spin class. It was a good, tough class, so hopefully that will help counteract the lack of workouts for the next week. bag.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#124 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM

RR: ran 10 miles today which actually felt amazing. Iced foot right after run, took 2 ibuprofens, and wore heeled boots for the next 4 hours. It actually doesn't really hurt much right now. I'm icing now and will sleep in my boot so here's to hoping I found the right treatment.

NRR: friends hubby bought her two tickets to a women's conference at our church today and tomorrow, and she took me! It was great tonight and I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Tomorrow is also ds2's 11th bday and we'll be going out to dinner. He wanted a unicycle and its actually really challenging but lots of laughs.
#125 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 PM

JayGee, I'm sorry for the arthritis but hopeful that you will get some pain relief.

RM, I hope the foot keeps holding up with the current "regime"

Gaye, good luck with the chilly ski weekend. Brrrr!

RR- Bootcamp tonight and it was packed for the New Year. We went from 10 people last week to 22 this week. It made things really crowded when you add about 15 kids to gym, too.

NRR- This is the best clinical group I have ever taught. Other than needing to leave the house by 6, I am loving this course!

I have completely submitted one grad school application and the second is going in tonight or tomorrow. My 3rd choice school has a March 1st instead of Feb 1st deadline and that application needs a lot of work (totally different program focus so I can recycle my other essays/letters).

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#126 of 338 Old 01-12-2013, 02:26 PM

I'm sooo behind. I posted 2 days ago but it disappeared. greensad.gif

RR: Got in a run yesterday. Really need to increase my runs to at least 3 days a week but it has rained almost every day. The creeks have all overflowed and some roads are washed out. Including ours. At least we've maintained electricity so far and no trees down as far as we can tell.

Yoga: Still working on organizing the yoga retreat for next weekend. I'm getting excited but I'm starting to get that hyperventilating busy feeling. Pant, pant. Anyway, I need to get in a good, long yoga session this weekend and then every other day or I'm going to ache all over. Just got my Yoga pedicure since I'll be barefoot all weekend. Had to shave first. Whoops, it's been a long time!

Plady, how are the girls?

JG, that bites! greensad.gif How frustrating! Have you considered alternative solutions? I have a few ideas but they may sound like old wives' tales.

JenLove, Yay for working on the resolutions. Have you tried substituting spelt for ww in bread recipes? One compromise we make is to use half ww and half white. It's not quite as fluffy as store-bought bread but not as dense as the pure ww bread either.

Poppy, Love that you followed your instincts. thumb.gif

MelW, that's wonderful!

Tjsmama, I want to go ski and have apres-drinks with you.

Sorry, I can't remember all the other responses I had!

Does anyone here use a dehydrator? Last year, my big purchase was a Vitamix and this year my big purchase is probably going to be an Excalibur. I dehydrate tons. My oven was full all day yesterday with pecans, almonds, walnuts & pumpkin seeds and it's like this about once a week. I want to start dehydrating veggies and fruit and make my own jerky but I can't babysit my oven like that more than I already do. Anyway, I researched a ton last year for the Vitamix and I think Kerc & I both ended up getting one. Kerc, do you still love yours? I'm going to try nut butter this weekend with my almonds, coconut oil & honey, I think. I use it all the time for soups & smoothies, though. Anyway, it's research time for dehydrators so if y'all have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I'm tired. sleeping.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#127 of 338 Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas,

JG - Sorry that that wasn't the kind of answer you were looking for.  I hope there are some fresh ideas to deal with it though now that you know what you're dealing with.

Lofty - Girls are back to normal, yay!

MelW- Congrats on getting the applications in, and on the great clinical group you've got. 

RM - Happy Birthday to ds!  A unicycle!  Whoa.

RR: Nope.

NRR: Last week the theatre held auditions for Into the Woods but I had decided not to go for a variety of reasons that all seemed good at the time.  Once it was too late I had non-auditioner's remorse but consoled myself that I'll have plenty of the show just working on the tech side.  Then yesterday the music director tracked me down and said that they think I might be right for Cinderella and would I come in to the callbacks and audition?  So I just got back from that.  I didn't blow anyone's socks off but I'm still hoarse from the tail end of my cold so hopefully that was obvious and they won't change their minds.  Once such a big role was held out there like a carrot I realized I really really want to do it.  So we'll see. 

loftmama likes this.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#128 of 338 Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM

lofty ~ tell me your ideas! I'm open to any and all solutions!

#129 of 338 Old 01-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Lofty, enjoy your retreat! I hope all of the stress from planning fades away quickly.
I have a late 70s/early 80s stacking food dehydrator that does everything I need it to. The reviews are right for stackable a that the heat distribution isn't always equal, but it usually means I pull some trays a bit earlier than others. I use it primarily for kale chips. This summer I did a bunch of dried apples, pears, peaches, tomatoes and fruit leather. I bet newer models are quieter- the noise is my only complaint. I either run it through the night or put it in the garage for longer projects.

Plady, fingers crossed for you for Cinderella.

RR- Climbing gym today. Quite likely tomorrow, too.

NRR- Can you send lots of hurry up AF vibes my way? It's a day overdue, with the attempted IUD removal last month. And everything was supposed to be extra careful because of the radiation from my husband's bone scan. Gulp.

On a more positive note, top two applications are done and just awaiting some transcripts to arrive and references. No need to spend extra money on priority post and rushed transcripts this year!

#130 of 338 Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 PM

JG, before I go into a combination of old wives' tales, alternative medicine ideas, and other things I've read, remind me of the details. I like to hook up people with information and sources that are less medically invasive - not that it's a substitute - but just as something else to try.

RM, meant to say earlier what a cool idea a unicycle is. Dh had one when he was a kid. Loved it. The good thing (for a parent) when you've got a kid with a unicycle is everyone knows who and where he is. Dh says by the time he'd get home, his mom already knew where he'd been, etc. - and that was waaaaay before cell phones! By the way, that worked when he got his first car, too - a VW Thing. He never could get away with anything and maybe that was the idea!

MelW, that's just what I was wondering. Yes, I've read the noise is much quieter with the newer models. Yum, I crave kale chips. yummy.gif

#131 of 338 Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 AM

Lofty ~ Enjoy a few moments of that yoga retreat for me.  Heck, I'd take smooth, silky legs and a pedicure even.  LOL!  Also thanks for the idea of using half white and half wheat in the recipes.  do you have a bread recipe that you use often? 

Thinking of you, MelW!  Keep us posted!

Plady ~ Good luck!!! I'm sure you blew them away! <3

I did a CrossFit workout on Friday and it felt really good.  I'm a little sore, but not terribly.  I think this would be a good way to get back into a routine - it's specific to Moms (CrossFit Mamas on FB) who want to stay at home instead of going to a gym, and I need the strength.  I need to add some bulk for our farming year and it would be a good intro before running this spring. :)

#132 of 338 Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Morning mamas!

I need ideas!  Dd1 has a friend sleeping over who doesn't like eggs and we're out of milk.  I think I still have some frozen bananas (unless they ate them all last night), and I have nut butters and coconut milk and regular nuts.  Have any of you added coconut to those almond butter/banana 'pancakes'?  I don't usually like to cater to picky eaters but if our 'weird' diet is why dd's friends never want to sleep over here I figure I should make an effort!  She should have come over yesterday when we made jalapeno poppers for breakfast.

JenLove - Is crossfit like the bodyrock.tv stuff?  Body weight hiit?  If it is I bet it will get you nice and buff in time for plowing season!

MelW- goodvibes.gif Come on AF!

RR: I'm going to Just Dance today!

NRR: Had the monthly Bunco night last night and it was a nice night out with friends but everything served was off the wagon so hopefully it won't affect my resolve. 

#133 of 338 Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM

I hope you found something delicious for the friend, Plady. I've never added coconut, but I fry the pancakes in coconut butter, so I'm sure it would taste good.

JenLove, so cool that you're doing cross-fit at home. I have a friend who got very fit with crossfit.

RR- Climbing gym again today. My arms are feeling stronger all the time.

NRR- ... Still waiting. I'll probably crack and buy a test if nothing by tomorrow. Today's mood is much more dark humour (flipper baby radiation jokes) instead of yesterday's grouchy anxiety.

#134 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 AM

JenLove - CrossFit at home? Tell me more! What kind of equipment do you have? I'm really interested.

MelW - hoping for that negative. I hate that feeling of "Oh crap! I'm late!"

RM - happy birthday to your DS! I agree that a unicycle sounds like a really cool gift.

RR - walking today, I hope.

NRR - DH and DD1 have both been sick all weekend. DH is sicker than I've ever seen him. No fever, oddly, but he feels SO BAD. He was literally moaning in pain in his sleep last night. And DD1 woke me around 3:00am because she couldn't sleep so I tossed and turned in her twin bed with her sweating body draped over me until I finally just got up at 6:00. No, I don't think today is going to be particularly wonderful, given my lack of sleep and the family's lack of wellness.

#135 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 AM

Hi Mamas.

I'm sorry for not being more present here. I wish I could remember the personals I wanted to say but the truth is I can't. I'm flailing a bit here -- my mom lost another very close friend (who was also like a second 'mom' to me whenever I was in Israel), a close friend lost her father in law, another close friend's husband's cancer treatment is not going very well, and now one of my best friend here has her 6 year old daughter hospitalized with an infection of her mastoid bone and optic nerve impingement from a poorly managed (by a pediatrician who would not listen to my friend that something was not right) ear infection. greensad.gif This little girl who is like a member of my family is in for 4 weeks of IV antibiotics and probably will lose most of the school year if not all of it, her vision and hearing may be permanently affected. My friend is really barely managing.

Added to this -- my asthma seems to be back and I don't know what else to do (the steroid treatment I had a few weeks ago gave me side effects I really don't like, and I can't get a doctor here to see me, long story); my own kids' admittedly minor (but not to them) issues in school lately with ridiculous expectations and a loving but totally anti-progressive approach to education by their teachers/administration and I am sort of beside myself.

Even running isn't calming my anxiety.

So, please keep my friend's daughter in mind for prayers and light (Emunah Sarah bat -- daughter of -- Chana Laila). 

RR: 12 miles yesterday.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#136 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 AM

JayGee: I hope your family feels better really soon.  This cold/flu season has been crazy bad. :(

I'm using the workouts from http://calicrossfit.blogspot.com/, and at this point I am playing it by ear what kind of equipment I will need.  I notice today that they are using a substitute workout if we don't have access to a tall wall and are using dumbbells instead of a large straight bar.

Suggested equipment:

10-20 lb dumbbells
jump rope
pull-up bar
10 lb weight ball
18" box 
timer

#137 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

JayGee - Ouch.  Here's hoping you all get a nap today and that the worst is over for dh and dd.

MelW - goodvibes.gif Enough joking around AF!

Nic - Sending healing thoughts to you and those you love. 

Jennie - Thanks for posting that link!  I've got it bookmarked, I may even give some of those workouts a go, although some of them are very much like what we do in boxing.  I could benefit from adding a few days a week to my schedule though!

#138 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM

jaygee~Hope everyone is feeling better!

nic~Hang in there. hug.gif Sending good thoughts to all.

I am checking in from Breckinridge where it is currently a balmy -2. cold.gif And that's up from -14 when we got up a couple of hours ago. We were going to hit the mountain at 10, but are now waiting till after breakfast/lunch so we don't flash freeze. orngtongue.gif In the meantime, we're having a fabulous up here in the ski house with the girls from work. The house is awesome, there was much eating and drinking and gossiping and game-playing and laughing last night. Apparently the party kept going until 4, but I crashed around 1. I literally could not stay awake any more. I worked Saturday night, and then we got a quick workout in and drove straight up. My fellow new grad lives up here, so we went to her place and crashed out for a few hours until everybody else got up here. We WILL ski today. Eventually. Maybe only for one run, but we'll ski!

rr~Only one treadmill was working in the employee workout room, so we split time on the elliptical. 15 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the treadmill before driving up yesterday. Definitely needed to get that workout in, since we consumed mass amounts of chocolate fondue and alcohol last night.

Speaking of chocolate and alcohol...I weighed in for our biggest loser contest yesterday and I was at (actually a pound under) my goal weight! joy.gif Good thing I weighed in yesterday, since I'm sure I'm back up over that today. rolleyes.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#139 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 AM

AF is here!!! smile.gif

#140 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

AF is here!!! smile.gif

thumb.gif

Swam this morning. I'm turning into a crabby old masters swimmer.

But I swam.

Jaygee I hope everyone there is well soon.

Nick: sounds like a heavy time in your life. Fortunately (from FB) you found your ring!

Gaye:  I fantasize about a weekend away -- just me. And a hotel room with a bed as comfy as mine at home. So cold weather would be good for that. And 4 am? nope, never for me.

Sparkle: how'd the climbing event go?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#141 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM

Reporting a workout of yoga and weights today. The weather has been just terrible. Even when I try to man up and run in it, my feet just sink in the mud. But we had mosquitoes out big time Friday and tomorrow it's supposed to hail. Freaky weird weather.

Plady, LOVE that they want you to play the main part! How's everything else going at the theatre? I take it the girls are back in school and you're back to working some? How's the W30 going? How many more days till dh's test?

Kerc, I had to lol at the crabby swim lady image. I think you have the right, my friend.

JenLove, We used the bread recipe from Nourishing Traditions but I just got burned out on it. Plus, I have never really liked bread that much so once I got tired of making it, B started making it but then we just burned out or something. Now I'm trying to get wheat completely out of our diet. I did like using spelt and I want to try buckwheat but since I don't really care for bread, I don't really bother anymore. I like this gal's website and she has a bread recipe called No Grain Honey Bread.

Mel, Yay AF! smile.gif

#142 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM

Loftmama: not like bread?!! How can that be?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#143 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Not liking bread would make life a lot easier for me.

So MelW, congrats. Did she come before or after the EPT? winky.gif Because that usually does it.

Gaye congrats on goal weight! That's a holy grail for me. Someday, maybe...

JayGee, I have an arthritic back and degeneration and instability in the same region (possibly exact same discs) as you. But I do not have the numbness. I get severe pain down one side (I don't expect you to remember a couple years ago when I thought it was a hip injury). The wise doc I met in Dubai basically explained that the way your nerves are built can be what determines where it hurts (duh, right?). He really believes in cleaning up the diet and drinking a lot of water is key (something almost no one does here). Do you sit in chairs a lot? When I sit in chairs more, my pain worsens.

I am the biggest baby. You all have these crazy temps and conditions and you're out there anyway. Me? Not that it's cold (64 but it feels cold when 80+ is the norm) but it's been extremely windy the past week and I have to avoid the dust in my eyes. I feel like a bum! Our kayak trip was even canceled due to wind.

Weather coincides with semester exams, though, so we are doing that. We have book club and Arabic class today. I don't know, when dh talks about enrolling the kids in some activity, I am at a loss as to when that might possibly be squeezed in, unless at night and he is taking care of it.

#144 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Jo - It's time to break out the steampunk goggles and get to it.

Lofty - Thanks for that recipe!  I'm putting that into the line-up for the next time the kids need a boost.. 44 days until test day. 

Gaye - Congrats on hitting goal weight!  And I'm totally jealous that your girls' weekend is A) a whole weekend B) includes a chocolate fountain and C) includes skiing and apres skiing.  Bliss.

They still haven't posted the cast list yet so I spent some time today trying to focus on the set design so my boss doesn't have a heart attack if they do cast me.

loftmama likes this.

#145 of 338 Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM

I cant really talk about this weekend (thanks for asking kerc). It was very emotional and intense and I still feel off. I know it sounds absurdly dramatic but Im having an absurdly dramatic reaction. short story is that saturday (qualifiers) she rocked it, kicked ass, climbed her absolute best/like i know she is able. She came in 3rd behind the two Boulder girls who will most likely come in 1st and 2nd at Nationals (so she was just a hair off the best climbers in the nation).
Sunday (finals) she choked. and I mean choked. It was AWFUL. so, no Nationals, very much sadness, and a lot of me wrestling with needing to use the experience to teach her much needed life lessons when I feel disappointed in her for seeming to give up. But I did have a great mom talk with her tonight about attitude vs. aptitude and how now is the turning point where she needs to put her energy into choosing her p.o.v. (I may have said "the crumpling is bullshit, its time to kick some ass" or some variation). Anyway, expletives were actually quite effective in making her smile and listen - I think my swearing made her feel grown up which was the subtext of the message. This may sound worse than it was, but it really wasnt negligent, it was actually a really good first talk in what Dh and I see as a big issue for her (paralysis in the face of disappointment, frustration, sadness, confrontation....), even though it sounds like I was mean (there was a lot more to the talk, obviously)

Nic - goodvibes.gif AMAZING that you did 12 with all that weighing on your heart

RR: nope

NRR: school (for me) starts tomorrow...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#146 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 AM

Jaygee- so what's the plan now that you have the dx?

Jo-I dream of a place where the low is 60 ! Sorry about it he wind and dust in the eyes though. I am sure that makes it challenging.

Gaye-wow on the goal weight blown away!! I bow to you!! Any tips for the rest of us?

Sparkle truck-love the sound of your convo with dd. you know your kids better than anything and its great that you know how to connect in a way that is best for them.

Mel- yay for Aunt Flo!!

Plady- so cool to heAr of your acting cAreer! Wish the dingoes could all come to opening night!!

Dana- hope that the mud dries up soon so that you an get t good run on. Yay for yoga in weights in the mean time!

Nick-praying for your friend. Great job on the 12 miles I hope it was cathartic.

Jen- thanks for the cross fit link. I've had some book marked for years but haven't had the equipment or time. This looks doable!!

NRR: Thanks for the bday wishes for ds2, he's getting better and better at the unicycle. Me on the othe hand not so much, lol!

RR: weekend was busy so I didn't run my 2 miles on Sunday. Yesterday I did a zwow workout and ran out of time to make up the run. It's morning I have speed work out and time to ice foot after so I'm looking forward to it. I'm wondering if this foot has anything to do with my age rather than injury. Blah! I guess it doesn't matter, won't change the fact that its there for me to deal with.

Rant: I have lived my life with a dad that seems to think I could always do better. He asked me if I was running any races this year and I told him that I'll be running a half in May and a full with a friend in November. I stated that I'm turning 40 so it's time to do another one and I was thrilled that I would have company the whole time. He gave me a mad look. Asked if turning 40 put me in another age bracket (to have better chances at placing) and when I said yes, he asked incredulously ,"are you running it at *her* pace??!?" Note that he didn't ask who I was running it with and even if he did still would not know what her pace is-she might be faster than me. He then scoffed. I then changed the subject. Can't he just be happy and supportive? I'm planning on running a flipping marathon!! Thanks for listening. Sigh.
#147 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 AM
bec

Sorry I've dropped off the map.  I need to remember to check here.  Now that I'm on FB and so many of you are, it seems to slip by the way side!

I have begun marathon training.  We had a 10 mile long run last week, and there is 12 on the schedule for this Saturday.  Only, the lady that I am training with told me this morning (5am speed work on Tuesdays) that our paces were too mismatched for us to do the long run together.  I told her I was slow, and around 12:00-12:30 pace before we started.  She's run with me before, so should be familiar with my pacing.  And the long run last week was very hard (for reasons I don't even really know, just nothing felt right).  I just feel really sad and hurt right now about it.  She said it in the nicest possible way and was worried that I was upset, but really, how can it not feel crappy to be told that you aren't measuring up. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#148 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM

RM - I talked to my best friend yesterday about my DD because she (bf) has been a life-long incredible athlete (Olympics even) in several sports, and she talked about how parents should only support and love their kids and that the criticism is for the coaches to do, and she referenced a book called The 20 Minute Ride home (or something like that) that some athlete wrote describing how the worst part of sports for him as a kid was the 20 minute ride home b/c his mom would Monday-morning-quarterback his performance, as a way to help but still, and he talks about how that 20 minutes should be used, etc. I'm sorry for the response from your dad. I worry sometimes about becoming that kind of parent to DD1, so both you and my friend are a good reminder not to! hug.gif ENJOY your race orngbiggrin.gif

Plady - the goggles for Jo lol.gif Hope the play works out

Jenlove - wtg on the crossfit at HOME. Ive been interested for awhile, and the crossfit place near us is next door to the climbing gym, so I have thoughts (illusions/delusions) of going while DD is at practice but they require a week of introductory classes taken in succession in order to then take classes when you want, b/c they want to make sure you have proper form and know all the moves before you have to do them at speed, etc. Sounds a lot like P90X. I know HIIT work-outs are the way to go, so kudos for motivating on your own!

JG - Im sorry about the arthritis. I cant swim either b/c of vertigo of all things. Can you lift weights? Could you do a HIIT type of workout? At least that could strengthen everything so much that your joints/weak points are better supported and in less pain ... or would that just make more pain

Geo - I hope the co-teaching is going well so far. Remember that fear is praying for what you dont want. You will rock it as you are a rock-star

Lofty - glad the dog is getting better. I have a stackable dehydrator also from the 70's (parental hand-me-down) and Ive used it for years and love it. I cant remember the name but its round, white and stackable. Enjoy the yoga

Melw - joy.gif for AF. Dont I know it lol.gif And congrats on getting the apps. done, or mostly (one to go yeah?)

Bec - It IS hard to hear! It's hard for everyone. I hope you can return the focus to you and your goals and let her just do what she will do. Make the training good for you, not about how you compare to others, yk

NRR: school is on 2-hour delay b/c we got, that's right, a dusting of snow on the roads. So here I am blathering instead of making breakfast and lunches at mock speed. I think I'll finish my T.A. application that's due today right now 2whistle.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#149 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Afternoon! I'm so sore from all that yoga and weights. My hands must be toughening up because the soreness in my fingers has finally subsided. I'm getting excited about the retreat. Now if only we could pull off a Dingo Retreat!

Plady, let me know if you like that bread recipe? I have it bookmarked but won't bother unless someone else likes it. orngbiggrin.gif Curiouser and curiouser about the play results...

Kerc, I am a dairy girl. Full fat raw milk, Greek yogurt and lots of good cheese. These are my weaknesses. Every day. This is why I run. Keep the bread; I'd only use it as a scoop or platform for dairy. eyesroll.gif How's the scar? Skiing yet?

Geo, hey rock star, how's this semester going?

Sparkletruck, love.gif that conversation with dd. Very good. I need to remember that subtext b/c I think that would work with my oldest when the time is right.

Nic, hug.gif

RM, irked.gif I just can't imagine that kind of reaction. What a loss on your dad's part to not get a chance to bond with his dd's awesomeness! Good luck on that unicycle! smile.gif

Jooj, that sounds like sciatica, maybe? I had hoped I had some alternative idea for JG, but I didn't. greensad.gif I have read two things but I imagine know you this already: Normal running shoes encourage heel strike which, makes it hard on that sciatic nerve to not get pinched. Ball strike (which is what you do when you run barefoot and what barefoot shoes are supposed to encourage) is supposed to help keep that nerve from being pinched. But a quick google shows that doesn't work for everybody. Oh and of course, there are some yoga poses that are supposed to help. Also (and I think of you as already knowing this, too) I've read that the gelatin in bone broth is supposed to be great for joint/bone pain. Again, I think of you as someone who has probably made awesome broths in the past which would mean you shouldn't have any problems, right? I know my family has had good results with knee pain by drinking whey-lemonade. I've read that bee stings are supposed to help prevent arthritis. yikes2.gif Since I was horribly attacked as a child by bees, I suppose that means I should never have arthritis, right? We'll see...

I got an email discount for an Excalibur dehydrator so after months of watching them on ebay I plunged and just ordered one. So excited!

#150 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Hey Lofty! Can you recommend some yoga poses for sciatica? Thanks!

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page