Dingos Run Walk Dance Box Pose bike and Swim into 2013 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Locust pose is the one my sil tries to do everyday with one difference; she extends her arms forward. I don't know if that feels better or not. She can tell a difference when she goes a few days without doing it. It is one her doctor recommended.

Other versions of poses that work this area are Upward Facing Dog, Cobra and Sphinx.

Yoga Journal actually has a sequence of poses designed for Sciatica that all look very doable. Take it easy. Try a few and do what you like. Make up your own sequence. Just don't hurt yourself (like I do sometimes rolleyes.gif ).

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM

I did a private session with a yoga teacher friend for my hip/pelvis two years ago and it was terrific. I still pull up her notes occasionally when my pelvis needs some focus.

sparkle, big hugs. I hope you and DD find a happy balance with the climbing.

I lost a post, but a quick summary:

NRR- Caught and released (a good distance drive away) my compost rat. It was intended to be a good homeschool science lesson, and ultimately was. The dump might seem like rat heaven, but it also has a lot of birds of prey.

RR- Keeping with the homeschool theme, the unit on time led to hysterical timed fitness competition between the parents. Plank face-off, push ups in 60 sec, etc.
loftmama likes this.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#153 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM

My back issues are not sciatica, but likely have to do with an imbalance of strength and structure, lifting things that were not just heavy but large and hard to manage even when small, and then that whole 30 years of obesity. Most of the time I have it in check, and Lofty you're so right about the barefoot running. Changing my running habits have made a great difference. Also, for me, I think intestinal issues with certain foods actually caused stress/strain by either pulling or pressing on areas. So eliminating certain foods has helped. I actually do better keeping my back either neutral or bent in the other direction (forward), and doing those poses where I scoop the back in, I have to be really controlled and careful. But I still love to do backbends. I find them invigorating and challenging for my arms and lats and abs.

Did get some walking in yesterday and will again today. It's been hectic with all the extra Arabic lessons, but I feel like it is a worthwhile effort and we are making the most of the opportunity.

sparkle, we were talking in homeschool group yesterday about intelligences/genius/testing and individuality. How interdependence is not a bad thing, and having limited gifts helps us put our gifts together to succeed. So your dd is really gifted on the tech, but not yet with the nerves of steel. It's SO HARD to embrace a specific skill when it's not accompanied 100% by its complement. My ds, for example, has all the curiosity and little drive. Would make a great leader but is too non-confrontational. Dd learns nearly everything on the first run, but is effort-averse. There is some head-pounding most days. I feel the struggle.

RM, hug2.gif You'd think at some point, at some age, a parent would let up.

Mel, I like your approach. Both the rat and the time. That's one lucky rat (I might have taken the shovel-whack-and-bury approach), and probably eventually one lucky redtail. thumb.gif

Today is a writing day for me, as kids are still doing mostly exams and reviews for exams. Probably also some big cooking, too, as we seem to have run out of food again. Been getting the kids involved in more of the house now that they are home, too. All good.

#154 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 PM

sparkle~I think your chat with DD sounds excellent. I am terrified of having to have those kinds of talks someday...I need to start taking notes here on "things wise dingo mamas have said to their kiddos" and file it away for when I need it.

rm~My weight loss secret is invisalign. bag.gif Honestly, I don't know that I could have done it without the invisalign putting a serious curb on my snacking. Other than that, it's mostly been portion control and trying to eat healthier.

bec~That would be hard to hear. I've heard it in a similar way before, but not from someone who had previously said that they would train with me for a marathon! You are good enough and strong enough that you can do it, with or without her. And know that we will be right there with you in spirit.

I'm back home now, after a fantastic weekend. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I work with some really fabulous women! Skiing yesterday and today was seriously cold.gif, but we survived. Take a couple runs, go in and warm up, repeat. Today was *supposed* to be a high of 16, but it barely got above 0. I have never skied in such cold conditions before. Last night was a lot more mellow since most people had gone home, but there were still 5 of us to hang out, hot tub, play scattergories, and watch a movie. It was lovely!

And now, back to real life. Sigh.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#155 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Can I just say how I love the Dingos?   You all give so much care and time and thoughtfulness in your replies and the love behind the words comes through loud and clear and I just feel so blessed every day to know I get to be here with each of you through thick and thin.

RM - I'm so sorry that you have the weight of your father's words pressing you down and not lifting you up.  It is a timely lesson to me as a frequently too critical parent and wife. 

Sparkle - Sorry that dd's tournament was so wrenching, for both of you.  When I was young I had a really nice singing voice and I loved to sing, but when it came time to do a big audition or some type of performance in which I'd be judged I couldn't even bring myself to practice for it.  I think I felt like I wasn't going to measure up so if I sabotaged myself I could say that was the reason I didn't succeed rather than try my best and risk still not succeeding kwim?  It's only taken me 40 years to get over myself and put it all out there. 

Lofty - I received a mystery package of pecans from Texas in the mail today.  You don't know anything about that do you?

RR: Boxed.  It was brutal today.  I don't know why it was so hard but I was so relieved that I had to cut out 5 minutes early.  Lame-o but true.

NRR: I got the part and I was surprised at the cast list.  It's a good group, at least the people who I know, there are some names I don't recognize.  I'm pretty excited.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#156 of 338 Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 AM

Congratulations Plady! Or should we call you Cinderella! I just had a fleeting fantasy of all the Dingoes sitting in the audience on opening night!

tjsmama - what a fun, fun weekend you had! I have to admit a pang of jealousy smile.gif.

jooj - homeschooling seems to be working so well for you and your children. My back also feels better when I bend forwards rather than back.

lofty - thanks a million for those poses. I will give them a try today.

RR - another walk at the Y, or maybe outside if it warms up. I need the Vitamin D from the sun.

NRR - I am disappointed with the progress our tax levy referrendum team is making, or maybe I should say lack of progress. They are just not getting the word out. I have talked to so many parents who have no idea that the referendum is even happening, what will happen to the school district if it fails, or don't seem to care! There is a community meeting tomorrow night at the Jr. High, but I have not seen it advertised anywhere. I have approached the referrendum committee multiple times with ideas and keep getting brushed off. They keep asking for help, and then when it's offered, they ignore it! It's like the people on the committee are so proud of being selected for the committee by the district, that they don't want to let anyone else in who wasn't selected. I have forwarded my notes from Real to the group leader and never got any response at all! Our district is going to disintegrate if the tax referrendum gets voted down, but I fear that is exactly what is going to happen.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#157 of 338 Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 AM
bec

Thanks ladies.  I'm feeling better today.  I am realizing that I put a lot of myself out there when I run.  It is very spiritual for me, and really the long run for me is about who I am.  So, when that seems to be rejected, it feels like the whole of me is being rejected.  I know not everyone is like that, but it took me yesterday to sort of feel that rejection, sleep on it, and come out the other side (not entirely sure I have, this has certainly been a blow).  I am certainly not going to let it stop me, or hold me back in any way.  Game on!

Congrats on the part, Plady!!!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#158 of 338 Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 AM

JG, aaaagh on the tax referendum. hammer.gif

Plady, Don't know nuttin'. You can eat pecans, right? Sheepish.gifloveeyes.gif Congrats on the part! joy.gifbouncy.gif

Jooj, Awesome that schooling at home is working out and you can write, too!!! That will be a biggie for this year's TM. Wish I could do a back bend. All my strength is in my tree-trunk-legs. My arms just crumble. Trying to work on that, though. notes.gif

TJsmama, love that weekend report. I have visualized myself being a part of a group of women like that, but never got there. So I'm living vicariously through you. Tempted to crash your party next time. innocent.gif

MelW, love that plank/push-up face off - sounds like the kind of silly fun we do around here, sometimes. smile.gif

Kerc, what say you?

It's FINALLY stopped raining so I'm going for a run this afternoon when it warms up a bit (to the mid-40s) and then I'm doing another yoga video and I'm doing weights. I'm going to get nice and sore for my massage in a few days. redface.gif

#159 of 338 Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM

privateeyes.gif
I am reading along and feeling so inadequate as a dingo.
My half is this weekend but I still haven't figured out child care. Truth be told I am not trained for it but the women I am meeting there plan to run about 3 minutes per mile slower than I have been running my very few long runs so I hold out hope that something magical will happen -it is the Tinkerbell Half after all.
Dd2 seems to be trying something other than my patience. I would say that she spent yesterday in a snit rather than full blown fits. I'll take what I can get but it is getting traumatic for those of us around her so I am investigating therapy of some sort. I know what kind of therapy my parents would have employed.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#160 of 338 Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Bec-so sorry about your hurt and pain. So was she trying to say they didn't have a pace group in your range? Just trying to understand. Are you running the mini? I would love to see you again!! I hope you can put her words behind you and embrace the awesome athlete that you are. We know you rock!! You Are an iron woman for crying out loud!!!

Gaye-so invisline is good for more than pretty teeth-lol!!

Mamajb-hope things line up for your half this weekend.

Thanks for the support and commiseration on my dAd. I'm trying to let it go and with time I can,

Sparkle-you sound like you are really in tune with your dd Nd yourself and your reactions. You are. A great mom!!

RR: ran 3 today and now icing my heel. I think I should sleep on my boot tonight.
#161 of 338 Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM

bec, I have been so lucky to have had well-matched partners for LRs in the past, and I know how sad and hurt I'd have been to be told it wouldn't work. Since those days, running became more solitary and less social--out of a greater need for solitude in my case--and then the LRs dropped off. I am sure if I tried to run with most of my old partners, I'd at some point be told, "this isn't going to work." And I would probably feel very rejected and cry. Remember, the comment's not about you, it's about what the RP thinks she needs. She may be right, she might not. Any way you can get more out of the LR alone anyway?

mommajb, you're running a half. Which part of that is inadequate? And yes, I know what my parents would do too. Probably don't do that. At least not first.

Plady, I am so pleased for you. And now every time the wind blows sand into my eyes, I think, "if I only had a cool pair of steampunk goggles..." Anyway you rock.

Lofty, I do dream still of a writing retreat. Someday.

Gaye, be sure and let me know when FS gets back. I'd have expected him to arrive by now, but I guess we will see. Of course, he went to school, not you...

Another really full day here before the weekend begins. I have had an irritated week, probably a combo of being shut in due to weather, dealing with outside commitments, and also still being in this country. It is a thing; one needs to break it up in order to not become rather just like the people who drive one nuts. So this week I gave a kid a talking-to in a checkout line, and then almost threw a shoulder at a woman who refuses to learn how to board an elevator. FTR, I didn't raise my voice (much) or actually throw the shoulder. But self-centeredness as a culture is just...rant.gif Not a native culture, to be clear, but what has evolved out of this pseudocosmopolitanism.

Anyway I have an errand to run on foot this morning. Will do so while the kids do a lesson. Then we have Arabic, each kid for an hour and me for two. And after that an insurance conference call. Thank goodness the fun ends after that. I am hopeful dh heard my plea for help last night and will afford me some alone time this weekend. I just really need maybe a sauna and some alone time with my Word doc.

#162 of 338 Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM

bec--so sorry about your RP. greensad.gif

RM--too bad your dad can't be more supportive. It's really hard and we never quite outgrow wanting that from them, do we? (My dad is the supportive one, but my mom is very critical. She doesn't like me running, though she could care less whether I'm fast or slow.)

MelW--your post was full of win! Compost rats, parental timed fitness composition...awesome! (Did you post about your compost rat before? What did it do? Did it come naturally or how did you procure it otherwise?)

Plady--congrats!!!

JayGee--when is the vote? If February, I'd be nervous. If there's more time, that's a good thing. Also, do you know a friend of a friend on the committee? I think a lot of groups tend to have the issue you mentioned, but then someone else comes along and says "hey, we have this great new volunteer" and suddenly everything changes. I'll cross my fingers that someone lights a fire under them, in any case.

RR: 3 on the gym TM tonight.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#163 of 338 Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 AM

Hi mamas.

Bec, I'm sorry about your RP. It hurts to be told we don't 'work' for someone regardless of how the message is delivered and even if we might have to do the same thing at some point to someone else. As far as that goes...you certainly do measure up. Long run training is hard; is it possible there might be someone else who can at least train part of the long runs with you to break up the monotony? FWIW, last summer when I was running with a pack, some of whom were training for a marathon, I don't think I enjoyed my long runs as much as I do when I'm alone. I know that sounds odd, and there were days I really did enjoy the company and conversation, I found it affected my rhythm and the pace was always just a bit off. In general I'm happier with my music. It sounds really antisocial to say that but there you go. (And also...ahem...the days when my stomach was bothering me and I needed to make pit stops, it always felt really like I was annoying them, etc.)

Sparkle, bummer on your dd's experience. I can understand that internal tension with being upset when they choke/don't "live up to their potential." It's hard when we are so invested in them in every way; I think as attachment-oriented parents it is less about 'living vicariously' than it is about still feeling intimately connected to them as if their experiences are ours. The separation they and we need to master their own experiences is challenging for both mommy and child I think. At least in my own life it has been. (Example: recent midterms for dd1. Ugh.)

RM, I'm sorry also about your dad not being supported. My parents are 'supportive' but they have not yet mastered the separation (see: above). Sigh.

As for me, I'm completely overwhelmed and trying not to panic. My friend's daughter is home (she had a PIC line put in the other day and will be on abx at least a month) and I am cooking for her a couple times a week. I have midterms this week, so just having written 6 midterms, I will now have to grade them, enter semester and quarter grades, and write 55 narrative progress reports (one for each student in each class) in the next week -- as well as prepare syllabi for next semester which starts in 10 days. I committed to taking a team to Model UN, which is Feb. 3-5 and we have not done anything to prepare; next weekend is the school's weekend retreat and I am taking my kids and going. (Not this weekend thankfully). Added to that personal stuff (which you all know about) and trying to find a doctor to see me and deal with my asthma (don't have one here; thus I need to find and get a quick primary care appt, then a referral to a pulmonologist, and a chest x-ray....and no one can see me in the next month. eyesroll.gif ). Glargh.

RR: Well, good and bad. Monday I had a great workout at Ashtanga. I loved it. Tuesday I did a hard, hilly 6. Yesterday I shoveled heavy, wet snow for an hour then attempted to run on the mill, which was a fail -- only managed 2.5. Hopefully today will be better.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#164 of 338 Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 AM
bec

Thanks ladies.  I know I can pick up and move on.  Lisa - It's just me and another woman training.  No group, so no pace groups.  I can run here and there with my husband.  We are both planning on running the mini, so he has about half of my long runs. 

#165 of 338 Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Aaagh!!! I just made a giant batch (serving 16) of La Madeleine Tomato Basil soup from scratch and the jar broke! bawling.gif My day is insane insane tomorrow and I just wanted to have one food item I'm making prepared already. And you know what? It sucked - sucks - so much - my family all looked at me with huge worried eyes, not sure whether it was safe to touch me, hug me or say anything and the concern in their eyes made me just BURST into laughter. Seriously, it sucks, but what do I do but laugh? No one is hurt. So much for prepping. Gonna go dig out my secret chocolate and chow.

Lisa, Nickarolaberry, grouphug.gif

(and then I went outside to take everything to the compost, tripped and fell flat on my face. I think I should go to bed before I get hurt. bag.gif )

#166 of 338 Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM

Nic, you are so super strong!! I'm glad to hear you have time for exercise (and exercise as an outlet) through all of the busy-ness.

Lofty, arghh!! I guess all you can do is laugh.

bec, sorry about the RP greensad.gif

real, I may have posted about the rat before. I saw it in my compost in the late summer, and have occasionally seen evidence that "something" was in the compost but had been maintaining decent denial through the fall. Since the weather got cold she seemed to have moved in and the fear of rat babies and eventual move into my shed and house lead me to action. A dad of a former classmate of DD's has a wildlife/pest control business, and he kindly loaned me the trap.

NRR- I was in a car accident yesterday. I rear ended another car while merging on to the highway after picking up the oldest from school. The truck I hit was almost unmarked, but my front bumper and hood were a bit crumpled. I have also had pain in my left shoulder and neck and headache today- when I called in the accident report yesterday I told them I didn't know if I was injured because I was still in shock. I went to the chiro after work today and was adjusted and taped and am now icing. Tomorrow I get to go to work with bright pink tape up my neck (the one time I wish I owned pink scrubs!) and then have another chiro appointment in the afternoon.

The good news is that my insurance is good, my daughter was unhurt in the back seat, and I don't even lose my safe driving discount because it's my first ever accident and I have no speeding tickets in 16 years of driving.

#167 of 338 Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 PM

MelW, I am really thankful you are all right. And good insurance helps, too.

Lofty, I feel kind of the same about you. Glad your foot didn't also get smashed or sliced. I hope you got out of your own way, and I'm glad you went with the laughter. I likely would have done the roaring thing.

So dh took me out for an hour last night and I guess it was to give me a pull-up-your-socks lecture. Asked if I am depressed, what the trouble is, etc. I'm not depressed, though it seems I am really Vit D sensitive and I have not been outside. Just yesterday I took a big dose of D. I told him I could really use some solid time on my own. Today he wants to grill out in a park. At least there will be steak. <--Wow, that sounds thankless. I don't mean it that way, I swear.

Anyway it just adds up to UAE overdose + no free time/space away from the pack. The solution would be a maid and I just can't see spending that money. Guess I need to use my headphones more.

Which I will do as soon as I finish my coffee, and head out for a walk before getting ready for Friday prayers. Have a beautiful and amazing weekend.

#168 of 338 Old 01-18-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
 Gonna go dig out my secret chocolate and chow.

LOL. I'm so sorry you lost a batch of soup. Tomato soup happens to be what I'm serving myself for lunch. (Back in summer I made a whole bunch and canned it in my pressure canner. I bring a pint of soup to week and it brings me great joy.). I would have cried if I dropped it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelW View Post

The good news is that my insurance is good, my daughter was unhurt in the back seat, and I don't even lose my safe driving discount because it's my first ever accident and I have no speeding tickets in 16 years of driving.

Yes. I'm glad you are ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
So dh took me out for an hour last night and I guess it was to give me a pull-up-your-socks lecture. Asked if I am depressed, what the trouble is, etc. I'm not depressed, though it seems I am really Vit D sensitive and I have not been outside. Just yesterday I took a big dose of D. I told him I could really use some solid time on my own. Today he wants to grill out in a park. At least there will be steak. <--Wow, that sounds thankless. I don't mean it that way, I swear.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so in need of personal space and unable to get it. I'd like to take this moment to point out that its awesome that your husband (a). recognized something was up and (b). took the time to say something. Admittedly it doesn't solve the problem. But geez, it sure would make me feel better to know someone is watching/listening.

Hand is all but healed. One week of b*tching and mindfulness of the injury + good old fashioned medicine (stitches + antibiotic ointment) = a scar that would not gross you out if I posted a picture of it.

Work stuff moves on. The semester starts tuesday. I'm almost ready.

It snowed! overnight and my family is headed out after a work meeting at noon to take a little trip to one of my favorite places to ski.

Erin's lips have all but healed from the rash/impetigo/food allergy/who the heck knows what it was and then WHAM they got BAD again. Twice. We see the local dermatologist next week (finally!) and then this week her teacher revealed to us that Erin has been licking her lips in the days before the big flare up. She doesn't necessarily do that around us (I mean we've busted her once or twice, but not at the level at which Erin's teacher is revealing). That's reassuring because we're both dumbstruck over what could make it flare up until we learned about her licking them and then associated the big flare up with two hours outside skating with a friend (both times). Meanwhile I'd been racking my brain: was it something she ate? did the hot chocolate we made/brought skating have something in it? Stress?  blah.  I'd like to move to florida for a month (assuming it warms up there), have it be humid and let it go away for good. Or move Erin's bedroom to the YMCA so she can sleep in the warm, humid poolroom overnight (ignore the chlorine please when understanding this dream).

And I wanted to add a positive spin for you Bec:  I trained last spring with a RP for a half marathon. She's 10 years younger than me. And she ran pushing her kids in the jogger when we did our long runs (hubby's a pilot). I always felt like I was dragging. She reassured me it was ok. We ran at a good pace, etc. I was *crushed* when she ran her half 45 minutes faster than me (and my half was my PR). (We hadn't talked time, which in retrospect was dumb). I wish she had opted out earlier or told me that she wanted to run faster. So as painful as it is that it isn't working, there might be a silver lining in that you won't have bad feelings later. And man, I wish some of my acquaintances could be more honest about hard stuff.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#169 of 338 Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

MelW - Whew!  So glad you and dd are okay, and other driver too.  Take it easy, I think that shocky feeling can linger for a while after something like that.

Jo - I doubt a maid would make it better but if tidiness is a big issue could the kids be bribed (aka paid) to do more?  The other night C presented a proposal to dh and me outlining ways for her to earn money towards a trip to the mall ( I'm all eyesroll.gif but trying to be neutral since it's obviously important to her).  Anyway, we offered $2 for a Very Clean Kitchen and she did an amazing job.  And thanked us both for normally doing it since she decided it was a sucky thing to have to do daily.  Anyway, the $ clearly made a huge difference to her motivation.  As much as I wish she'd just do it that well for the greater benefit of the family and because she is a sweet obedient child who does my bidding uncomplainingly, I'll spend the $2 for the nice results.

Lofty - Thank you for the nuts! And I'm glad you could laugh and also escaped the day mostly unscathed.  Some days just aren't going to go well no matter what.

Bec - I hope you've managed to stifle and doubts or worries that that RP stirred up.  You are an IronMan.  And you are a Dingo.  Can she say the same?  I'm betting not.  grouphug.gif

Nic - Ugh, you've got a lot going on there mama.  Maybe you could do some serious copy and pasting for all those student comments>  They don't need to be unique to each right?  My parents were always happy to read, "She is a pleasure to have in class" and none of us cared that it was just choice #6 on the report card template.But more importantly I hope you can find a doc soon, asthma is no joke, especially during woodstove season.

RR: It's been busy here, I am trying to work in more activities with the kids since I'll soon be missing bedtime 4 nights a week for the next 3+ months.  And I'm trying to remind myself that the weight I added over the course of two months of freeforall partying isn't going to disappear without a fight and certainly not in just a couple weeks.  But I have been not entirely feeling the no sugar/no grain love the same this time.  My digestion seems kind of funky and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.  Possibly too many nuts and not enough greens, I need to do some daily tracking and see what I come up with. 

#170 of 338 Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Lofty - what a bummer about the soup. So frustrating to have done all that work and nothing to show for it. Hope the chocolate helped a little smile.gif.

MelW - Glad you and DD are okay. That sounds scary.

Jooj - I swear, it's the time of year. No matter where you are (UAE or midwest), January is just a month of doldrums. I also feel the intense need for alone time and have put on my headphones a few times this week just to tune it all out. Do what you need to do, Mama.

bec - that stinks greensad.gif.

Nic - thank goodness for running, right....

RR - the pain and tingling in my leg was so intense yesterday that I couldn't even manage a walk. It feels okay today, so I will try the Y this morning. The kids have a 1/2 day of school, so I need to get it in this morning.

NRR - DH is finally back to work today. The kids all seem to be feeling okay. I think I have avoided the plague that was rampant here. Tomorrow is another nutty day - soccer, Irish dance, riding, gymnastics and a swim meet. Oy. And more swim meet on Sunday. And I have to teach Sunday school too. I am looking forward to a day off on Monday.

#171 of 338 Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM

Drive by and some random questions:

1) I want to save for a good blender or juicer to juice with. Vitamix? Something else? And reasons?

2) My running tights aren't good for yoga. My capris are too short and hurt my knees when I do table and kneeling poses and my long tights are too hot. What should I get that's reasonable and won't be too revealing?

3) Similarly I should probably get a top for yoga that does not ride up, is long enough not to show my belly when I'm in down dog (or my chest), and is somewhat modest (i.e. not a tank top). Reasonably priced ideas? 

4) What is a good price for a decent yoga mat? The prices seem all over the place. So many germs these days, I'd rather bring my own...

5) I'm planning to do Vermont City Marathon in Burlington, VT on May 26 (sunday of memorial day weekend). They have a marathon relay (half distance) and it's a beautiful city...just sayin'... Anyone want to come? innocent.gif

Thank you! blowkiss.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#172 of 338 Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Mel - I am glad you and your dd are okay.

1jooj - have to admit I probably would have flipped out if my h (or anyone) gave me a "pull up your socks" talking to when my main issue was lack of alone time. I hope the steak was good!

nic - i was given a Vitamix for my birthday and I LOVE it. I use it at least a couple of times just about every day - smoothies, soups, gravy, salad dressings. I used to have a Kitchen Aid blender and thought it was amazing - until I started using this. The texture is perfect. I made broccoli cheddar soup tonight and it was silky smooth instead of smooth/kind of grainy like it always used to be. It means I can put all kinds of suspicious things into the kids' smoothies and they never know. I don't juice because I like to eat all of a fruit or vegetable but when I want something more juice-like I just add more water or coconut water and still get all the goodness of the ingredients.

Where did this week go? 

#173 of 338 Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Melw - how scary!! That's nearly happened to me a few times here eyesroll.gif and it is scary. Im so glad everyone is ok, and I hope your discomfort is short-lived

Jo - you sure dont seem depressed to me lately, how odd. Do you think you are? Oh well, I agree; at least he voiced it and you can now maybe get more of what you need

JG - I hope the leg worked today

Nic - It just occurred to me today that I want a Vitamix. Ive heard nothing but raves about all the possibilities (smoothies with nuts and whole pieces of fruit/veg. that turn out smooth), but beware; they cost nearly $500 jaw.gif Good luck with all the work

Kerc - my dd2 chews on her bottom lip and it can get really red and yucky looking under the lip (on the skin), so that would make sense. We put vaseline on at night and that seems to make it better. Glad the finger is healing so well

RR: 75 minutes of biking and run/walking. I was depleted; too little glycogen, and too thorough of, um, emptying out on the toilet left me gassed. But I managed enough, and its a start. Weights tomorrow

NRR: Let the panic begin. This week was the first of classes and Im already scared. I remember Kerc saying this is typical of the first semester but ugh, here it is again. And Im not even sure what Im scared of (failure, stupidity, ineptitude). I have a presentation next week and Im already nervous. Bleh. This better go away b/c I dont like living with cortisol levels like this. Im starting to wonder if this isnt why my menstrual cycle and moods got so f***ed up last semester. I told myself Id take one class, but of course signed up for two and now feel like too much of a slouch to drop one, even though I think it would make me happier, or at least calmer (even as it makes me hate myself for being a slouch eyesroll.gif) I get so exhausted being me sometimes lol.gifdisappointed.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#174 of 338 Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 AM

Good Morning!

sparkle - honestly, I think most of us would be exhausted after 75 minutes of working out! Good for you for getting back at it and starting a new semester too.

Nic - I don't have a vitamix, but I've heard great things. I can't help much with the yoga stuff, because I always wear running clothes and have the exact same issues you are having!

Hi Shanti!!! Any snow yet for snowshoeing?

RR - did 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15 walking yesterday.

NRR - My body is fighting off a cold, and, I think, winning. I wake up all stuffy, but feel fine about 30 minutes later. Who knows... I have also become totally obsessed with reading John Green books (The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns, Looking for Alaska). They are YA fiction, but I am totally in love with them. Don't judge this 44 year old! Crazy day today. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

#175 of 338 Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 AM
bec

Kerc - Once I get past the hurt feelings, I can look at it philosophically.  And I am certainly glad to know about it early on.  I might have more sympathy if she hadn't known about my pace and times beforehand.  Sigh, I'll get over it and move on.  I am so jealous of your snow! 

Plady - She is, actually an ironman, and previous multiple marathoner.  Not a Dingo, though.  Not many of those in this area, so, I represent!  Being a dingo is a source of great strength for me.  I love that I can do my 12 mile long run in 2:45, and a fellow dingo can do her 11 miler in 1:33, and we will both be celebrated.  Being a Dingo is way better than almost anything else!  Certainly better than being an ironman.  That is an individual accomplishment made possible by the support of the group. 

Lofty - I'm so sorry about the soup.  I would have been devastated!

Shanti - You are making me yearn for a vitamix.  It's always been a sort of back of my mind kind of desire, but now I REALLY want one!

Nic - Also check out the Blendtec blender.  I mean, if it can change an iPhone to dust, what do you think it could do to a parsnip?

So, 12 miles in the bag yesterday.  My kids got me through it!  Yay, kids!  The two big kids (11.75 and 9) each did 3.85 miles with me.  The little one (7) did 2 miles, and then I took out the fat dog (the vet said so, it's official, he has saddle bags) for 2.4 miles.  The hardest leg was with the dog!  It was slow and very cold and blustery.  It was very windy (Katie and I had a brutal headwind at one point that nearly brought us to a standstill.  I call it strength work).  But, overall, it was really good.  My toes and feet felt good, the knee didn't say anything, and I had the rest of that day with that wonderful post long run feeling.

#176 of 338 Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Nic - Also check out the Blendtec blender.  I mean, if it can change an iPhone to dust, what do you think it could do to a parsnip?

ROTFLMAO.gif  Mine was a gift from my closest friend. She totally blew me out of the water by giving it to me for my birthday. I had been longing for a Blendtec. I am not sure they are really hugely different, just a lot of name brand loyalty on both sides is my hunch. 

I raided my freezer and the fruit sale shelf at the store for this morning's smoothie - blackberries, watermelon, mint, red grapes and coconut water. Sweet and simple. I had  one of my black bean patties with spinach, arugula, caramelized onions and tomatoes for breakfast. Weird for breakfast food but it works for me! I made a big batch of onions yesterday and tucked them into the fridge so they would be easy food this week.

RR - My asthma is really bad and even walking is causing some trouble so it is all yoga, all the time these days. 

#177 of 338 Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Nic, I actually bought running capris a size up which I wear for yoga. I have yoga pants, but I wear those to hang out in.

Took an hour and a half to walk down and up the Corniche this afternoon, after working on French with the kids. Felt good to move, hoping for more this week. Sun is out again. It's nice. I think what dh saw and took as "depression" is really just like JayGee said, doldrums. I did point out that he's usually too tired to do anything together by the time he's through work for the day (and it's usually really late), and I am tired from my own work, and when I grab the Kindle and settle in to read, it is not out of sadness or anything negative. I love to read, and I spent much of the past 10 years too busy to read much. I'm catching up. orngtongue.gif Anyway, I am going to try to smile a little more, I guess. And get up earlier to run.

Met friends out in a park last night to grill and eat an obscene amount of meat. And then to watch the antics as the UAE won the Gulf Cup. Crazy.

And earlier yesterday, a nice woman I met at the mosque invited me to join her and another friend to walk once a week. And I met another friendly American woman, too.

And just bought my parents tickets to come and see us. Last week of Feb and first week of March. Lots of time to dangle that carrot in front of the kids.

#178 of 338 Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post Meanwhile I'd been racking my brain: was it something she ate? did the hot chocolate we made/brought skating have something in it? Stress?  blah.  I'd like to move to florida for a month (assuming it warms up there), have it be humid and let it go away for good. Or move Erin's bedroom to the YMCA so she can sleep in the warm, humid poolroom overnight (ignore the chlorine please when understanding this dream).

lol.gif I hope the dermatologist can help.

Shanti, your smoothie and black bean patty sound delicious!!

Nic, I do yoga in full length cotton leggings. I've never like the "looseness" of most yoga pants, but find that American Apparel-style leggings (at least old-style AA- a lot of the newer ones are thinner fabric and lower rise) work well for me. Good luck with the blender shopping!

JayGee, I hope your survive (yet another) busy day!

jo, I'm glad your husband recognized the doldrums and hope that you find your groove again soon. Small living spaces are a challenge when there isn't the "great outdoors" to compensate.

sparkle, repeat after me: "I am competent and confident". Not just competent, but amazing. One class or two, you are awesome either way.

Plady, it's amazing how you can get a sweet obedient child AND a clean room for only $2. Seems like a terrific deal. I have continued with bribing with books for peaceful math time, with good success. We will likely finish grade two math by the end of the week, and when offered the choice of either informal math games/puzzles and real-life applications until September, or starting grade 3 now my daughter jumped at the grade 3 workbook choice.

RR- I did a modified bootcamp yesterday with the chiropractor's approval. No upper body work, and the extra squats/lunges were hard! I'm battling a cold and have some extra neck/shoulder stiffness this morning. I'm off to chiro again in a few minutes- hopefully 3 days in a row will keep me on the path to healing from the accident.

NRR- We're having a birthday party and movie night for the kid's imaginary brother today. He's been with us for over 4 years, and we celebrated his b-day last year too (yesterday was his "actual" birthday, but we moved the party to today). I made beet chips in the dehydrator that should be ready for the party. It's also a bit of a going away family night for my husband, who leaves for a month in Ireland on Monday.

#179 of 338 Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Good morning, Dingo mamas!

Sparkle, I so hear you on the being exhausted being yourself thing! One of the downsides of being a thoughtful, introspective person is the hazard that too much navel-gazing may cause the frustration of feeling like your head is a giant fishbowl you're peering out from inside of and can't get out of. Does that make any sense at all? I totally get it. For what it's worth, I think once the semester starts you'll be fine with the two classes and at the end you'll be glad you got them out of the way, as challenging as it will be. 

Mel, you are a rockin mom for celebrating the birthday of an imaginary friend! glad you are all ok, too. 

JayGee, hope you feel better!

Jo, glad you found a new friend. I hope you got the time you needed today. hug2.gif

Yeah, I want that Vitamix. Pricey, yes. Going to put some money away each month until spring and I should have enough, just in time for good produce season. Maybe my birthday gift to myself. I have a cuisinart food processor I got for my wedding, a crappy Hamilton Beach blender that bounces off the counter if you put anything chunkier than a frozen strawberry in it, and a kitchenaid I can't use because the attachments have disappeared. That's it for appliances (well, a toaster...). I want to start doing green smoothies and other smoothies, etc. I am not a juice person, I think I meant smoothies.

I had The. Best. Run. this morning. It was one of those rare dodo bird kind of runs when by the time I hit 3 miles, my rhythm was in the groove and I put it on cruise control. Turned off the stopwatch function on my phone (my watch died) and decided to just run until I didn't feel like it anymore, as long as it was over 10 miles (my planned run). At 13, I stopped for an orange juice, and at 15 I came home (mainly because I was passing my house and had to pee and was getting really hungry). It took me around 2.5 hours I think but it was just...wow. 

Then I made a really, really, REALLY delicious tofu scramble with spinach and butternut squash and a touch of maple syrup and I could have licked the plate clean. eat.gif

Happy Sunday!

#180 of 338 Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Nic - That run sounds amazing!  What a great way to begin a week!

Kerc - Ali G has a rash under her mouth from chewing on her sleeves all the time and last night I found C's school picture from when she was 5 and she had the same thing which she got from chewing her hair.  Does the rash bother your dd?  I assume that for mine the chewing/licking thing is a comforting behavior at a time that they are adjusting to things like schoolwork and expectations.  Could Erin's licking be the same sort of thing?  If so maybe there is something she could switch to, a worry rock kind of thing? Or gum? 

Shanti - That asthma is scary mama, Maybe you and dh could compromise on woodstove heat vs. non-asthma-inducing heat.  That smoothie does sound really refreshing, now I'm kicking myself for not having thought to freeze watermelon or mint! lol.gif

RR: Nothing yet, maybe I'll do some dancing later.

NRR: I'm having an on-going dog crisis.  I feel generally overwhelmed by our dogs and I don't really enjoy them almost at all.  Our older dog has always been beautiful but aloof and snappy if you push her - yesterday I was shooing the dogs out of the living room and the older one bit Alison thinking (I'm guessing) that Alison was the other dog whom she can't tolerate.  She's also never been terribly concerned about where she does her business and will often bypass an open front door to go upstairs to pee on the carpet. I thought on that front that I had done myself a favor by buying a good carpet cleaner but now I'm thinking that maybe I've just been prolonging the agony.  Then the younger one is sweet but she has bonded with me and I wish she'd bond with dh or C (or anyone else).  She apparently has a case of fleas that I can't get under control and she's allergic to them so she spends most of her time sitting as close to me as possible (on me if she can) and scratching herself raw.  I give her benedryl almost every day.  Then there is all the fur!  It just piles up and collects so fast that by Saturday morning when I have time to look around I end up having to spend hours vacuuming.  Literally I spent three hours vacuuming just the downstairs yesterday.  It's insane and it makes me kind of hate the dogs.  The kids claim to love them but they don't spend very much time interacting with them unless directed to do so.  I feel really bad that I have allowed us to get in so deep with the dogs.  I really meant it when I signed the declaration at the pound pledging to take care of them forever.  But I also don't know that I can continue to live in a state of constant irritation at home.  The kids must think I'm just the angriest person when I'm home because the dogs are constantly under foot barking and scratching and shedding and me yelling at them to shut up.  crap.gif  How long do you think the kids would hate me if the dogs went away?  Probably forever, right?  Or would the resulting dog-free calm Mom turn out to be better than dogs?  How much do we discuss this with them?  It's no secret that the dogs drive me nuts but how much do we include them in finding a solution?

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page