Dingos Run Walk Dance Box Pose bike and Swim into 2013 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 338 Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Plady - I have no idea what the best thing to do about the dogs is. We had a sweet golden retriever for 11 years but she drove me crazy/. We got her when she was a puppy and I was smitten - and then right when she got into the nippy, exasperating older puppy phase I got pregnant with ds and was vomiting 24/7 for 8 months. I had little patience for the dog and h wanted a dog who would just "hang out" - not a puppy! She mellowed out but I was extremely allergic to her so couldn't touch her without breaking out in hives and the dog hair EVERYWHERE for those 11 years was awful. We were dog free for a couple of years before we brought our lhasa-poo home. I wasn't allergic to her, she didn't shed, she barked a LOT but was so sweet I forgave her. I know a lot more about what I can and can't live with when it comes to dogs than I used to. We are still paying down our vet bill from November mecry.gif but someday I want another one. Well, now actually, but we can't afford it and this would not be a good time to bring a puppy into our family greensad.gif  Have you tried talking to Naughty Dingo?

nic - glad you had such an amazing run this morning. Have you tried looking for replacement KA attachments on ebay?

The compromise we have been able to reach with the heat is that the furnace is programmed to kick in when the house is 18C instead of 16C and h is responsible for bringing wood in. I don't risk hurting my hands by carrying logs but we are still using the stove every day. I like the heat but I am always congested and my breathing is not great. I bought myself a small electric blanket the other day so that I am not so cold at night and that helps. At least if I am not battling the cold all the time my immune system has a better chance at dealing with all the allergens in the house. Ideal? Far from it but that seems to be the name of the game around here these days. I miss our old house with its radiant heaters. My ideal would be to have those again and a gas fireplace. Maybe someday.

1jooj - glad you found some walking friends smile.gif

JayGee - I go on reading jags like that and I love it when I am in one! I am reading too much for school these days to feel like pleasure reading but someday there will be time for that again. 

#182 of 338 Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nic, your run sounds so glorious!!

Plady, ugh! I don't have any good advice, but think that involving the kids in the conversation about the dogs, responsibility/burden, the impact on your stress and mood, etc is a good one.

Shanti, thinking of you and your heat/asthma situation. Sending lots of healing vibes.

RR- None, other than stretching. I'm more sore now than right after the accident, with a small cold added in that may be contributing to the stiffness/aching. I really missed climbing today, which has been a nice weekend routine.

NRR- Went to the Chinese healer for husband and youngest this morning for follow up from their visit earlier this week. So far we're seeing positive results- no inhalers this week for her despite a bit of a cold. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#183 of 338 Old 01-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Double post

#184 of 338 Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Plady - That would be enough to push me over the edge. It's hard having two, let alone when they are problematic. I confess to giving a dog away when it was 11. The reason we did it, and the qualifications, were to find a better owner than we were being to her at that point (she never got walked, barely got attention, etc. - this was after baby#2 was born, dh was working 110hrs/week as usual, and I just didnt have it in me to take the double stroller with a dog out in the frigid cold of MN. Bla bla bla, all excuses. The point is, we decided that if we could find someone as good as we were when she was young, we would do it. So we put an add on Petfinders. And we found a young couple looking for an older dog, the husband was a runner, etc. While it was a huge relief (the dog barked, and often woke a baby, and had also started digging poopy diapers out of the trash and devouring them on the COUCH puke.gif), I realized after that I felt like an a**hole for doing it. Ultimately, I think the dog had it way better with the other people, and that my sadness was more for myself. Point is, maybe you can find a better situation, and just explain to the girls that you are trying to do right by the dogs, that they deserve someone who will really take care of their fleas, etc. and that you just cant do as good a job as you would like? At least then you are doing it out of love and responsibility. Problem is, what if you cant find anyone and finally just want to unload them at the shelter lol.gifbag.gif Not funny. I'm sorry. Congrats on the part though! I never said so

Nic - Thanks. Its not so much navel gazing (although Im certainly guilty of that often), it's more that I wrestle with the compulsion to make my life hard, or else beat myself up for being lazy/worthless/etc. When things settled into some measure of calm with two kids; lets get pregnant! Let's get another dog! I'm going to grad school! I'm going to finish in X time (even though I dont need to). Dh teases me that I seem to need things to be hard (whereas I think he likes things easy - we make for a weird pair). So my conflict with myself is; why cant I *just* take one class, enjoy it, and not beat myself up for *only* taking one? And beyond that; why does the question have to be a deal at all? Just make a damn decision and get on with it already! eyesroll.gif
AMAZING run! Well done, and hurray joy.gif

RR: I ran joy.gif Sort of by accident. I went for a walk with the dogs and 2 youngers on bikes, but wore my running shoes b/c, duh, I knew Id need to run after the kids to make sure they were being safe. We went to the golf course of years ago; the one I used to run around with the jogger that has a trail around it, much of it sand. So the kids rode the trail and I ran, mostly pushing dd2 as she couldnt quite get enough momentum on the sand. So imagine me in hole-y old sweats and a puffy coat, two dogs on retractable leashes fully extended in opposing directions, pushing a little girl on her bike through the sand, as we all run! It was crazy. But, getting to and around the golf course is about 4 miles, and I ran most of it and everything felt fine. Woot. I may have t do that more often, without the kids wink1.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#185 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 AM

Ok, I guess I'll go again lol.gif

I need dinner ideas. I'm so bored of the "rotation". Is there anything you make that you think is somewhat unusual? The most unusual thing in my rotation might be blackened fish (usually cat ar tilapia) w/ cornbread, and veg., or sometimes I make a curried fish. The other is thai tofu and broccoli w/ quinua and peanut sauce. Snore.I made latkes the other night (w/ other stuff) and the kids were so psyched (they love latkes) that they had maybe 3 bites of chicken and 5 latkes for dinner lol.gifdisappointed.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#186 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 AM

sparkle ~ a run! Yay!!!!! Your "navel gazing" is very insightful, honestly. Perhaps I need to take a closer look at myself in the same way.

Plady ~ I could have written your dog post, but substituted "cats"! One is 18 years old, arthritic, hates to be touched, and meows loudly at 3:15am every single morning. The other is 11, has a chronic fugal infection in his nose that causes constant sneezing of thick snot and blood, and barfs every single night on our livingroom carpet. No way I could hand these two off to a shelter, they are too old/ill. Both are really unfriendly and just hide until nighttime when they start their meowing barf-fest. Not the pets we envisioned. Oh, and they both hate children. I hope you can solve your dog problem.

MelW ~ the Chinese healer sounds really promising!

RR ~ does standing and working the snackbar at the swim meet for 6 hours count?!

NRR ~ Too much craziness yesterday to go into details. So glad yesterday was the last swim meet for the season for us. It's amazing that DS was a pretty good swimmer in the 9-10 agegroup, but since he aged up to 11-12, he's way back in the back of the pack. It's rough swimming against 12 year olds who look like they have already reached full adult height! One more soccer game tonight and the longest weekend of activities ever will officially be done!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#187 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas, thanks for the thoughts and commiseration on the dogs.  Dh and I have a plan.  The older dog (X) has had a big cyst on her belly for a long time.  I don't think the kids know about it because they never pet her.  The plan is that we'll talk to the kids about the cyst and let them know that we're going to take her to the vet and see what's what with the understanding that it may be something serious.  She is 14 years old, a samoyed's life expectancy is 12-15.  She has a had a good one up until the last couple years.  She's been a good guard dog, a hunter, and beauty queen.  And now I think it's time for her to pass the torch.  I don't think that it would be fair to her to give her away (even if we could) she's very bonded with us in her aloof way and I think she'd feel abandoned.  We're hopeful that with only one dog we may have at least a bit more calm.  The two of them get into all sorts of snapping and snarling and just running around shedding that one might be less inclined to alone.  Long ago before we had X we had a dalmatian that was a great dog.  He was incredibly intuitive and seemed like he understood English.  Then we got X and he totally changed.  He became completely focused on hanging with her - which was fine, but we did miss our old buddy.  So we're hoping that maybe transitioning to one dog might help the younger one shed some of her more irritating qualities.  Then she can have through the summer of training and flea dips but if it's still a problem I'll find her a new family.  She's young and sweet so I wouldn't think it would be impossible. 

JayGee - I'm sorry about your cats. It doesn't sound like they're loving life much either.  One thing having chickens has changed for me is the degree to which I anthropomorphize animals.  I don't think animals spend any time thinking of the future beyond their immediate needs so the thought of euthanizing one who is old and in pain doesn't seem as momentous/horrendous as it did when I'd only had pets. 

I think that doing anything at a swim meet for 6 hours counts as physical exertion.  Congrats on making it through the season!

Sparkle - One of the morals in Into the Woods is "The harder to get the better to have."  Maybe you've internalized that somewhere along the line?  Or, "no pain no gain" or "you have to suffer to be beautiful (or smart/valued/fulfilled)"?   Your run seems to fall in line with all that.  You're all joy.gif and then you describe a run that would have made me cry. lol.gif  So the question may be, does it work for you?  If so, then that's just how you roll, biting off a little more than is comfortable to chew.  But if you constantly feel like you're choking maybe it's time for some nice little affimations posted around the house like, "I am as awesome taking one class as I am taking two" or, "I deserve to chill out and be bored" or something winky.gif.

Re: unusual foods.  Yesterday I made a salad of shredded beets, carrots and apples with a vinaigrette and then added tuna, shredded cheese and arugula and it was awesome! The family wasn't as excited about it but I think that was because I used this weird tarragon dijon mustard in the dressing that doesn't taste bad but does taste different.  We tend to do lots of salads with meat on top, or strange things with cauliflower, the pizza was a huge hit.  ANd speaking of which, I've got get started on dinner because this is one of those days.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#188 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 AM

Drive-by:  Any experience with buying from consignment stores?  Specifically, is the typical that a store drops the price after 1 month or 2 in the store?  We promised DD a reading chair for her room, and we've been shopping the consignment shops nearby.  We found one that's been in the store since Dec 22 that's perfect and in really good shape.  I'm wondering if we should wait until Wednesday (1/23) to get it for likely 10% less, or if we should just nab it now? 

Otherwise, I'm not liking the climate here.  If it would just get cold and stay cold, that would be one thing.  The cold -> rain -> ice cycle is for the birds. 

#189 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Drive-by:  Any experience with buying from consignment stores?  Specifically, is the typical that a store drops the price after 1 month or 2 in the store?  We promised DD a reading chair for her room, and we've been shopping the consignment shops nearby.  We found one that's been in the store since Dec 22 that's perfect and in really good shape.  I'm wondering if we should wait until Wednesday (1/23) to get it for likely 10% less, or if we should just nab it now? 

Are we talking $100 chair?  Go in, offer the 10% less. If they say no, buy it anyway. It's worth your time.

My answer changes if you're talking more like a $400 chair.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#190 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM

Hey Mamas! How are ya? Hope you're all having a great day home with family!

Bec, wow, did your kids run almost 4 miles with you? Okay, I'm in awe! I had to re-read it to see if you meant biking. Mine will bike that much but not run. I'm impressed.

Nic, I love my Vitamix! My suggestion: sell everything else. Even on ebay for not much money. $10 here, $20 there. It adds up. I have a small 2-cup food chopper that I will use instead of a food processor. Otherwise, I use my Vitamix all the time. Almost every day. My kids have had lessons in using it properly and cleaning it immediately so they use it all the time, too. It's one of my favorite things. Yoga clothes: I think Target probably has some inexpensive items. Some of the catalog companies like Athleta and Title 9 have some in their clearance section that I'd definitely buy if I needed any. Yoga mat? No more than $20. Wish we were closer and I'd give you one, but it would be used. For yoga tops, I like to wear a tank that hugs my torso and a looser shirt on top. That way when one falls, the other one stays. And Yay for doing Ashtanga! That's a challenging form of yoga that really builds your muscles. Lots of tiny supportive muscles that hardly ever get used but help take some demand off the bigger ones. Ashtanga takes a lot of energy, too! You go, girl! Oh and kudos on that great run!

Shanti, that sux about the asthma and the woodstove. We use a woodstove, too, as our only source of heat. Our house stays pretty cool especially with cement floors. Ds2 used to have bad asthma. I guess it's good it's gone away or we'd be in trouble. Wish there was a good solution for you.

Jo, love hearing about the weekly meetup with friends. And yay for getting the parents out. It's nice to have both something to look forward to and something to dangle!

Who has the imaginary brother? Mel? Tell me more, please...

Geo, re: consignment shops - I used to wait and wait for the nice jogging strollers to go on sale in Austin and either they never did or they were snatched up too quickly. That is my experience. How much are we talking? And when it comes to kids reading chairs, my two boys LOVE theirs! Their grandmother bought them each one from Pottery Barn KIds 6 years ago (ages 12 & 9 now, 6 and 3 then) and I would say they have been great investments. I wash the covers periodically. I frequently sit in them when we sit on the floor around the coffee table playing a game or hanging out. And we love dragging them around the house.

Great yoga retreat. Remade the soup - probably not as good as the original but still great. I was a bit stressed at first- a combination of money / reimbursements, food organization, yoga schedule, massage demands, etc. That stress was totally unnecessary. Things just took care of themselves and everything worked out. Got home late last night, a bit underslept, overstretched and sore, had too much wine and chocolate but laughed and cried a lot sometimes together. In other words, it was cathartic. Plus for the first time, I didn't go desperate for female company, needy, looking to escape problems, family, etc. Just full of peace and ease.

No run today, though. Just catching up. Following the inauguration in bits and pieces online. Watching a friend's twins for 11 hours. Going to put in a movie now and veg with them. Have a great day! orngbiggrin.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#191 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM
bec

Lofty - Yeah, I was impressed too.  Katie (the almost 12 year old) wants to train for a half marathon.  I'm thinking we will have to find one in the early summer!  I'm hesitant to let the 9 year old run much more.  I don't want to stress young, growing joints and growth plates.  Opinions anyone?  DrJen?

I'm going to be doing speedwork tomorrow.  6x800, and I also want to get up early for bootcamp.  I decided to drop out of the speed work early Tuesday run with the running partner that dumped me for the long runs.  I don't need the stress of wondering if I was measuring up, and wondering when the other shoe was going to drop and I'd be kicked out of that.  So, I'll be able to resume my 5:30am bootcamp (which I was really enjoying) and then run after the kids go to school.  I would rather find a way to maintain cordiality with this woman seeing as the run isn't working.  We are going to be traveling together and rooming together for the marathon and for the half ironman in the summer, so it is kinda important to keep things civil!

NRR: I went to the doctor today for a physical (DH has been pestering me for a while.  I am terrible about going for routine stuff).  Bloodwork, tetanus shot, given a lecture on why regular pap smears are actually pretty important, and told I need to lose some weight (that stung a little, but is the primary reason that I avoid the doctor in the first place because I already know this!).  Oh, and he said it felt like my thyroid was a little enlarged, so he will be looking at those numbers closely.

On my last year in my 30's.  So, given the bit of upheaval in my job (managers that I love leaving), I have been really trying to figure out what I want to do with my life (oh, for wisdom and perspective when I was 18!).  I've had a hard time really defining what I really want to do.  What I feel passionate about, and having to really be realistic about the practical issues that involve going back to school.  Does it make sense to spend money on a second bachelor's for me at a time when we should be thinking about 3 children going to college?  Especially if it wasn't something that I was passionate about!  I think, though, that my recent soul searching is proving a little fruitful.  I would really love to find a way to help people onto a path of health and fitness.  I would love to get them started on their journey.  So, I have thought about maybe getting a personal trainer certification.  I'm not as interested in working with people that are already fit and active.  More about those that are just starting to get off the couch. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#192 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM

Reading along! :)

Last week, I did 3 cross fit workouts and then I felt so fatigued and I was spotting and I stopped.  I honestly thought it was implantation spotting, but the tests have been negative.  That leads to a whole slew of emotions I wasn't prepared for.  Now is totally not the right time in my mind for another baby, but I was a little sad that it wasn't true either.  I hope to jump back on the crossfit mamas bandwagon tomorrow, and my body is going to hate me.  LOL!

Lofty - I'm sorry about your soup (and the trip to the compost) but I am glad you chose the laughter.  I'm so not good at that.  I'm good at feeling embarrassed and being angry.

((bec))

Re: weather .... I believe it's -4* right now.  This weather is NOT fun at all.  I haven't been out to the barn in days because I feel guilty taking the kids out in this.  What is so wrong having a winter with snow and 20* weather?  At least we could sled, build snowmen, and run around in the yard.  I may also need more vit D, Jo!

Jo - We're only 6 weeks away from kidding season!!  Where did the time go?  I believe all 3 of our females will be having kids this spring, but I'm kind of worried about 1 of them.  She's young, stout, and obviously pregnant.  Any advice what to watch for with complications with her?

NRR - James is doing a juice fast after watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and he is doing SO great on it.  I feel guilty cooking and eating around him though...

Thinking of you Dingos!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#193 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Going to Ashtanga tonight. I'm wearing one of my capri-skirts and a longer race t that I can tuck in.

(can i just ask if anyone else who does yoga worries a lot about...ummm...passing gas hide.gif during the class?)

So, shameless self (and school) promotion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBtcy-BJrXQ

Dh did not have anything nice to say about my segment but others seem to like it. And, I just got notified I have been nominated for an Excellence in Jewish Education teaching award regionally. So that's cool (especially since the prize is...a trip to Israel!).

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#194 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM
bec

Nic - Boo on your husband.  Your section was brilliant.  I love the idea of a safe, but not comfortable classroom where students are encouraged to grow, stretch and learn.

#195 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM

Hi ladies!!

Had a rough weekend with dh being a jerk and started to talk in circles like he used to do to me years ago any time I brought up something he didnt want to talk about. I wondered what the heck was going on since its been about 2 years since he's been like that. I tried to talk to him once agAin about the lack of intimacy from him (literally over the last year we cross trained 11 times in 12 months and I initiated and followed through for every one of those). So out of *that* fun conversation he tells me that he stopped taking his anxiety meds 3 weeks ago (right when he signed up to start his masters which is very stressful by itself) to do an experiment on me. greensad.gif. I'm telling him how distant I feel from him and now find out that he makes this decision that Affects all of us and use it as an experiment on the one person that I would think he would talk it over with?? As some of you remember we had some really rocky times through his anxiety and depression that he wouldn't admit to for 11 years until he collapsed from it while we were on a family vacation. Ugh. Really not good stuff here.

RR: today was a rest day and yesterday I knew I was too busy to fit it in, so I ran Saturday instead of Sunday. I think I have speed work tomorrow which, after today, I really need.

And guess who hasn't contacted me for my birthday? Yup. Dear old dad. greensad.gif
#196 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ewww RM, not cool!  I'm sorry about this.  I guess it isn't so easy as him just seeing that it was a dumb idea and starting up with the meds again?  Sending love.

Nic - I loved hearing you speak!  So cool to just hear your voice!  And yeah, boo on dh. How hard is it to be supportive?

Jennie!  Ready already!  I'm so impressed!  You are amazing!  And we get to lurk.gif

Geo - Good advice to make an offer.  What's the worst they can say right?

Bec - I think you'd make a great get-off-the-couch trainer!  You like sales right?  And you're passionate about fitness and you're an amazing role model.  I think you're definitely on to something!

Lofty - Glad the yoga weekend was great and that it was essential but not an emergency thing.

#197 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM

Bec, ditto Plady! I love the idea of a personal certificate addition to your B.A. And how awesome for your kids - both to participate in a sport you love and to see Mom do this. I'm just really admiring you! And by the way, I'd also love someone like you to help motivate my kids! When I lived in Austin, there were homeschool kids who took running classes from my running coach. I wish something like that for my kids - not that I can't do it - it's just that I need to let go and have someone else lead in some areas. Anyway, great idea! thumb.gif

Nic, Baaaaagh on your dh! irked.gif That was an awesome segment. Loved hearing your voice, too, and what you had to say! So cool. I got a little teary when I saw you walk to the board. Dang, I thought I was gonna cry just b/c I miss being in a classroom so dang much. Good for you!!! And the gas passing thing happened at our yoga retreat from too many beans in the chili or something. We got pretty hysterical laughing about it but not sure about a class with strangers. bag.gif

RM, hammer.gifhammer.gifhammer.gif Learn, please. Evolve already. Sorry, that may not be nice. That's just what I want to say to men sometimes, including mine. And I don't mean just your dh but your dad, too. Boo on them. Yay for you valuing you and taking care of you! Happy Belated Birthday! hug.gif

My dh is being a food nazi today. Can I say that or is it bad to say that? I was thinking of the Seinfeld soup-nazi dude. My dh is totally a food nazi. I need to slap him around a bit. Jk. lol.gifdisappointed.gif Anyway, I made almond flour today from soaked and dehydrated nuts because he was so angry because I served those Ezekiel Food for Life english muffins to ds before making him eggs. Then the rest of the day he was testy. He did do a lot of work around here but I think when he doesn't get his weekly cross-training in, he gets needy and expresses it by being cantankerous and difficult. Aaargh, he just made it two weeks and if he doesn't get nice soon, it will be at least a month. mischievous.gif Sigh. I go away for a weekend...

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#198 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Nic, I'd love for you to win. At the very same time, I think it's pretty flippin amazing that, after jumping into this gig the way you have and with the level of stress, support and various mitigating factors involved, you come out with a nomination. How cool is that? And I have never done yoga in a large class, so can't speak to that other thing. winky.gif

sparkle, you have made me laugh a few times the past week or so. Various little ways. And I get you on the making life hard approach. I find myself occasionally job searching. duck.gifLike that would do me any good at all.

Plady, good luck on the doggie sitch. I was going to recommend a switch to FT outdoor dog life. I am so not a dog expert, grew up with barn dogs but turns out I am too allergic to have a house dog. But I get the regret-ish feeling when the pet latches onto you instead of, say, the two kids who are supposed to be loving the thing up every day. Been there with cats. I think that a genuine attempt to be humane in any case is the right mindset, and I don't think the big sleep is always inhumane. shrug.gif

JayGee, your meow and pukefest made me laugh too. And MelW, I just got new insurance, which I learned has cover (100%) for (a limited amount of) Chinese treatment. I want to see whether I can get in for a consult on my low back. It's functionally all right, but I have chronic mostly untreated pain. Dh wants to see about accupuncture, and if it can help him quit smoking, jeez...I'm glad that a small insurance coverage opened that conversation. He wants so badly to quit and is just powerless, it seems.

RM, hug2.gif. On the timing, I would wonder whether there are some deep-seating feelings of inadequacy in stopping meds at the same time as signing up for the degree program. And is the test to see whether you'll stick around and care? Either way, not OK. Can you call in a little pastoral counseling or something? Sounds like you could use a little third party support.

Bec, what about an intensive nursing program similar to what Gaye did, where your bachelor's gets you some credit? In nursing there are so many different specialties, and in diabetes/endocrine/metabolic, there is a lot going on with intervention programs that focus on changing diet and activity, and not just meds and stern talking-tos. Just a thought. I still struggle (see above) with what the heck I am doing sometimes. ETA: Wow, Plady and Lofty are so smart. You would be a great cheerleader for people in need. And you do like sales, don't you? You seem to be onto something...

We're pretty excited about Mom and Dad. I am stoked to finally have been in a position where I can bust out some pretty big money to give them something like this (offering me new insight into dh's habit of sending thousands to his family now that we have more coming in and less going out). I also developed a new incentive program with the kids, where they can earn a very meager daily amount of money by doing the day's work +1 class, so that they will be well ahead when the grandparents get here. We switched French studies to AMs, too, which has really helped, because the foreign languages seem to be the most taxing on their brains. That said, all three of us are making tangible progress in Arabic, too. Feels good to finally be able to crack open a book, be able to pronounce from the text, and also understand some of the words I am pronouncing. thumb.gif Worn out and tired? Yes, but some days I can see the progress and it all almost feels worth it.

Plugging away on the writing, too. The housekeeping standard in this apartment is SO below what the villa was last year. And right now I don't care.

We're in another cold snap. lol.gif It got below 60 overnight. We don't have heat, and when the wind gets blowing, it does come right through the window seals, so bedtime can be chilly, but I'm not sleeping in socks and a stocking cap. And sandals are still just fine mid-afternoon.

Hoping to finish getting the first draft of my story written by end of March, and ideally I would like finishing to coincide with the pilgrimage we're trying to plan. There could be some synergy there for the edit/rewrite. How I long for a weeklong retreat just to write. Sigh.

Speaking of, Lofty, the yoga weekend sounds so wonderful. You seem to have come back from that bumbly edginess right before. So worth all the effort, I think. ETA: Guess all that stretching is about to pay off. mischievous.gif

RR: Going to sneak out for a bit once the sun comes out, take 45 minutes while the kids do some lessons on their own.

#199 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM

I'm reading along, but haven't had time to post...work is kicking my behind. I'm 4 nights into my 6 out of 8 stretch, and tonight is my night off. I'm exhausted. And having guilt issues over working ALL weekend long when DS is off for the long weekend. So, I sucked it up and got up early afternoon today to spend some quality time with him. We had a great time. I took him ice skating for the first time...I really had no clue how it was going to go. DS is not a gung-ho, super adventurous kind of kid, so I thought it could very easily end with him being miserable and crying. There was tons of falling, but he actually loved it. He even said that he likes skating (a tiny bit) better than skiing! I might have to look into some lessons at the local ice arena. It really was a lot of fun, even with crappy rental skates and having to hold up a 6 year old, while skating for the first time in about 8 years! Tomorrow: skiing. DS will be in a lesson, I have struck out finding a ski buddy, so I'm going to be on my own. Oh, and I'm back to work tomorrow night, so that should be fun. Sooo tired...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#200 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM

Soooo much to catch up on...

Nic, farts happen. You can try some gas releasing poses before class, apologize quietly if you pass an SBD (silent but deadly) and blush if it's noisier. Yogis should either have enough humour to understand or be "pure" enough to overlook smile.gif

RM, ditto to the so-not-cool comments for both your dad and DH. I unfortunately know about life with a partner with anxiety, to the point that I said to him that I knew the new Chinese doctor was helping because he hadn't gotten to the "I'm going to cancel my trip" part of travel this time around. Going off meds as a test of you is cruel.

Lofty, the imaginary brother has been around as an imaginary friend since my oldest was 2. He was the most persistent of her cast of imaginaries that when the youngest was 2-3 she started playing with him, too. He used to drive me crazy (it's incredibly difficult to deal with fights between kids when one of them doesn't even exist), but now we're at a happy place where nobody is too convinced of his real ness, but he's been around long enough that he's developed a complex personality and set of experiences with us. On my oldest's registration for kindergarten I wrote a note for the teacher explaining that her brother Jess was very real to her. We celebrate his birthday annually with cake and special dinner. The kids make him cards, we wear party crowns, and this year did a movie night. Last year it was a surprise party, so the girls and I hid and jumped out from behind the furniture.

Jo, good luck with the draft. Finishing it before the pilgrimage sounds perfect! Fingers crossed for acupuncture and quitting smoking for our your husband. I've heard good things.

Bec, I agree that training would be great for you. Sales, fitness, and you're so inspiring!

Gaye, good luck with the last of your long stretch. I'm glad the skating was fun- I keep meaning to try with my kids but am nervous about my ability to skate well enough to help them.

RR- Shoulder was terrible yesterday, but a bit better today. I see the chiro again tomorrow.

NRR- We took my husband to the ferry today and he's off for the month. If I survive tomorrow, the rest of the month should be a breeze. Tomorrow I have clinical teaching plus a late afternoon meeting, chiro appointment and fiddle group for my oldest. We leave the house at 5:55, have a total of 6 sitters/carpools/schools, return for about 90 minutes for dinner then head back out to fiddle and won't be home until about 8:15. Not good for kids sleep!! The car is packed, all meals are made and packed and we just have to get through the day. Must sleep now...

#201 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 PM

RM--so sorry about DH. If it's any consolation, mine stopped taking his St. John's wort in early December. Yeah. Good times, that. banghead.gif Hope the meds kick in soon and there are no further experiments. Also, fwiw, our experience has been that much of my DH's explanations, many of which seem to revolve around him wanting to believe that I'm crazy, are themselves a symptom and not necessarily the reason he decided to stop taking his meds. It doesn't make them any easier to hear. Mine's excuse was that things were going so well he didn't think he needed them. DH's main research topic: medication compliance. Oh, the irony. banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Nic--loved the segment. On blenders: I have a Blendtec and love it. Ditto to the Dingo who said a Blendtec and Vitamix seem to be essentially the same. You can sometimes find a deal on them at Costco (perhaps at Sam's Club or BJs too?).

tjsmama--sending you energy goodvibes.gif

sparkle--fear is a necessary part of grad school. Embrace it. wink1.gif

MelW and 1jooj--good luck!

RR: 7 today. Was supposed to be yesterday's long run, but I only managed 1.5 before stopping to watch Downton Abbey and argue with DH for two hours. Then I was so frustrated that I got on the TM sometime after midnight and finished out the 4 planned for today. At least I got to run the 7 outside.

NRR: I think I mentioned my parents are moving closer (from 1 hr 15 min to 5 minutes away!), so I helped clean their new house a bunch last week. On Saturday, we drove down to help pack up stuff and move the big stuff (piano, china cabinet, Dad's incredibly heavy toolboxes [he was a diesel mechanic]). That was mostly ok, except that my parents have never sold a house this quickly and spent most of the week in denial, plus their real estate person told them not to empty out the house for reasons I won't go into. Anyhow, they wanted to move next weekend, except that I'm running a 10K on Sunday morning; DH has to present a couple of things at the congregational meeting (which I'll be missing bag.gif) and BIL has to work on Saturday so moving the big stuff would have been impossible. My parents tried to say DH and BIL could just come down Saturday night after BIL got off work, but no, that wasn't a good solution. They were also convinced they'd moved so much already that there wasn't much left. I know my parents and how much stuff they have. I'm pretty sure I packed 20 boxes of kleenx, among other things because they like to be stocked up and take advantage of good sales.

At any rate, after negotiating these things between my parents and my sister & BIL and my husband for the better part of a week, I convinced my parents to rent a truck this weekend. Dad was in a bad mood on Saturday, but he always is when packing, whether for vacation or moving. He was in a much better mood after we emptied the truck on Sunday morning--which we were able to do in just two hours! There's still a bunch of stuff left, but if DH and I go down early on Saturday and my parents rent a smaller U-Haul, we should be able to get it all in the truck that day. They'll drive up on Sunday morning and BIL will start to unload it; we'll join them in the early afternoon to unload the rest. Closing is scheduled for the 31st, so that gives them time to deal with the odds and ends they haven't moved, like the closet full of clothes that my parents aren't wearing and in some cases, haven't worn for two or three decades, but which, for reasons I don't pretend to understand, could not be packed (or donated) quite yet. Closing was originally scheduled for next Monday, but the extra few days will be helpful.

In fun news: I got an iPhone! My old flip phone was on the fritz and I decided it was time. I'm worried about the additional cost because we've never had a data plan and I'm still teaching one class (and was reassigned from a classroom to an online section due to low enrollment), and because it turns out they hired yet another part-time musicology faculty member (son of a current faculty member) but don't seem to have any extra classes where I'm concerned. Is the writing on the wall? Yes. I know what I need to do, but now I need to find the mojo to do it.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#202 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 AM

real, seriously: banghead.gif

and also hug2.gif on the work garbage. It does suck, but who knows what doors might open next? I'm cheering for you, anyway.

Ran this morning! joy.gifAnd as always, on my way back to the apartment, I said to myself, "Why don't I get out like this every morning again?" I just do feel better afterward.

And then the kids and I had a long but very productive school day. They made their bonuses, and tomorrow promises to be a much lighter work day (one more semester exam), and then we have a three-day holiday weekend.

We blew the fuse in the oven cord plug again, so had to replace it again mid-cooking of dinner, but the meatballs turned out fine (served with sauce over roasted sliced cabbage, delish). The spaghetti, however, got a questionable response. lol.gif I guess one way to convert everyone off the white starches is to ruin the white starches. Anyway, took the kids out for a run/walk/rollerblade hour before sundown. Tomorrow evening I will meet up with the ladies who walk. Should be nice. Except I already forgot one name.

#203 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Off to get my epidural injection this morning. I hope it helps.

BBL....

#204 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

real, seriously: banghead.gif

and also hug2.gif on the work garbage. It does suck, but who knows what doors might open next? I'm cheering for you, anyway.

yeahthat.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
The spaghetti, however, got a questionable response. lol.gif I guess one way to convert everyone off the white starches is to ruin the white starches. Anyway, took the kids out for a run/walk/rollerblade hour before sundown. Tomorrow evening I will meet up with the ladies who walk. Should be nice. Except I already forgot one name.

Ah sabotage, love it.  And how about "I'm sorry, I'm terrible at names and I was so pleased to meet you the other day I missed your name!"  Or, you could say, "I'm sorry, I'm so bad with names, is it Jane?"  I think it's pretty universal to space out names, especially when you're in such a foreign environment and you're spending so much brain power learning new things.

MelW - THinking of you and your marathon schedule today!

#205 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

And how about "I'm sorry, I'm terrible at names and I was so pleased to meet you the other day I missed your name!"  Or, you could say, "I'm sorry, I'm so bad with names, is it Jane?" 

...snicker...Jane...ROTFLMAO.gif

Good luck, JayGee!

And you too, MelW. All downhill from there. thumb.gif

#206 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Back from our ski trip and glad to be home! I've missed several pages, but will catch up this week. Right now, I'm up to my neck in work - a good thing, and I'm feeling thankful for it. My laptop did die on this vacation, and while it might be salvageable, I think I want to get myself one of those with the solid state drive (is that what it's called?). Anyway, one of those that doesn't wheeze and blow and get hot and run the battery down within minutes. I guess mine was just not meant to be schlepped around.

JG, I backtracked to find out what your injection was for, and just wanted to send you some blowkiss.gif and goodvibes.gif. I sure hope that this gives you relief and that there is a plan for how to alleviate the discomfort. Osteoarthritis, right? Do you take glucosamine? I started taking it for my knee, but I don't know if it is helping or not.

Mel, how is your shoulder/neck? I'm glad you and your DD are ok.

RR: Nada. I need to go out and test whether the week at high altitude has transformed me into a speedy runner lol.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#207 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 AM
bec

Good luck, Kristina!!!

Had a lovely bootcamp this morning.  I quit the 5am speed work group, as I would always be wondering when I was going to get kicked out.  So, now it is up to me to do it myself.  I'm happy to say that I did.  I'm feeling pretty accomplished exercise wise for today.

I also did a breakfast experiment that turned out fantastically.  I was reading in Bon Apetit about Overnight oats/quinoa.  I was skeptical, having not had great experiences with overnight crockpot oatmeal.  Anyway, you mix equal parts oats and quinoa, add water and bring to a boil.  Take off heat, cover, and let sit till morning.  reheat for a few minutes, and perfect breakfast.  I added pine nuts, walnuts, dried fruit (didn't have anything exciting, but some prunes) and some agave to sweeten. Oh, and I put cinnamon in it.  I used some milk to add a little moisture.  Got rave reviews!

#208 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

I also did a breakfast experiment that turned out fantastically.  I was reading in Bon Apetit about Overnight oats/quinoa.  I was skeptical, having not had great experiences with overnight crockpot oatmeal.  Anyway, you mix equal parts oats and quinoa, add water and bring to a boil.  Take off heat, cover, and let sit till morning.  reheat for a few minutes, and perfect breakfast.  I added pine nuts, walnuts, dried fruit (didn't have anything exciting, but some prunes) and some agave to sweeten. Oh, and I put cinnamon in it.  I used some milk to add a little moisture.  Got rave reviews!

That sounds yummy!

Also, I love your idea of getting a second degree or certification as a trainer. Here's my 2 cents: you are too young to be deciding that you can't afford to invest in your own career. Your kids will get an education, they are not going to go without because you decided to do this. After all, we aren't talking about going on a shopping spree for clothes. You will have many years of working in this new field, and so many unexpected things will come up - both good and bad - between now and when your kids go off to college. So do what is right for you. I always think to myself - practically every time I walk through the door of our local triathlon store - that I am part of a huge, largely untapped market segment. Older, don't look like an athlete, but willing to spend some money on getting and staying fit. We just need more people (like you winky.gif) to recognize us!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#209 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Well, I got two injections of steroid, one at L5/S1 and one at S1/S2. The second one hit the nerve and I practically jumped off the table! Now I have to wait for 4 or 5 days to see if it's helping and two weeks to feel the full effects. I am cautiously optimistic. I know they injected the right places though, because the injections replicated the pain I feel exactly from my behind, down the side of my thigh, into the side of my calf and around my ankle into the bottom of my foot.

bec - that sounds delish! Glad it was such a hit with your family.

Mel38 - I haven't tried glucosamine, but that is a good idea. It might help my knees and hip too (which also show signs of mild OA).

MelW - Yikes! What a long day!!!! Here's to getting through the whole thing and falling into bed tonight!

RM - ugh..... I'm so sorry. "Experimenting" with meds is never a good idea and your DH should know better.

Real - enjoy your new phone! What a stressful weekend you had.

jooj - way to break the kids' noodle habit... he he he! I like Plady's idea to get the new friend's name again. I'm terrible with stuff like that as well.

lofty - your yoga weekend sounds lovely and refreshing.

Nic - I loved your video segment. I can't imagine what your DH would have objected to in it. I think he just hates having a successful wife, for some reason. Congrats on the award nomination and I really hope you win!

RR - not allowed to do anything for 3 days.

#210 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM

David Foster Wallace went off his meds b/c he felt so good and everything was going so well.... That reason always baffles me. When I find a med that works I'm joy.giflol.gif

RR: 90 minutes bike/run. It was a good one. Must have been ...

NRR: ... all the anger! Oh ladies, my 10 y.o. dd1 is starting adolescence. She is sullen, withdrawn, hard to mobilize, and generally difficult greensad.gif I want to help her but I'm also splat.gif It's so hard to keep my cool, and then Im not sure what my role should even be. I think she needs some natural consequences, which I feel I am protecting her from by coaching her all the time instead of just dropping the hammer. I was so frustrated with her this morning that I literally shoved her, several times, out the door. I could catalogue what has been happening, but whatever. I have studying to do

Sorry no personals. Im slammed

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page