Dingos Run Walk Dance Box Pose bike and Swim into 2013 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 338 Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regarding Girl/Kids running. This was provocative (about two sisters who run marathons. They are 12 and 10, maybe?):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/sports/too-fast-too-soon-young-endurance-runners-draw-cheers-and-concerns.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#242 of 338 Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM

Fascinating.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#243 of 338 Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Fascinating.

#244 of 338 Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I just helped ds review for his World Religions exam on Monday. He understands the material beautifully. The funny thing? His dad is a minister, he has gone to Catholic schools for the past six years, and Christianity is the only section he struggled with  lol.gif

#245 of 338 Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 PM

The stride article is interesting. It makes sense- different speeds, running surfaces and likely even different size/build/anatomies would result in and require different strides.

Sparkle, provocative, for sure. The thing I always worry about with kids so consumed by one thing at a young age (be it a sport, instrument, or other obsession) is what happens if they change interests, or have an injury, or otherwise can't do their passion anymore. I've see kids really flounder as teens suddenly adrift without he benefit of a diversity of interests and activities and talents.

Official community plan meeting done. I have a bit of regret about bringing my youngest, who worked her way through every snack and activity I crammed into the backpack and was then restless. There were only 2-3 people in their 30s, one in 20s and my kids for a community with a median age of 38. So we were there to represent, and added in a nice bit of networking. The prof seemed happy to see kids out, which helped me to get over a few dirty looks from the crowd. Community meetings, people... You can't sit and talk about how to engage youth while glaring at them.

We biked for he first time since the December snow (it's still here, but the roads are clear), and are going climbing now. We'll see what my shoulder can handle- I still had to sit out a lot of upper body work last night at bootcamp.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#246 of 338 Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM
bec

Those were a couple of amazing articles.  It makes me think that maybe my stride isn't really wrong.  I just need to make sure it is what is working for me.  Also, on the young kids running.  I am also concerned with life balance.  None of my kids are so talented at any one thing (at the moment) that it overshadows everything else.  Their running is not super fast (they run at my pace, but could probably run a bit faster), and they take walk breaks when they need.  I want this to be fun for them.  I don't want them to get discouraged.  I know they would push hard for me, but it would be to please me, not themselves.  Katie, I can see holds herself back.  She doesn't like to push to discomfort.  You know that nauseous feel you get when you push to the lactic threshold?  She sees absolutely no reason to do that.  Why would you try to push so hard that you want to throw up?!  I see her point.  I'm proud of them for getting out there.  I figure that I am following their lead (kind of like running with the dog), and trust them to tell me when it is enough (and they do). 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#247 of 338 Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 PM

I have mixed feelings about focusing on one thing. It seems that people who have the drive to excel at one thing have the drive to excel at more than one thing, so it's not necessarily an either/or (those girls are required to keep a 93 in each class!) I also think the narrow-focus required to excel at one thing is not necessarily a bad thing. I think there are many life lessons in pushing beyond limits and encountering what happens to you there (psychologically, socially, physically). But I think ultimately it's important to find ones passion and follow it. I think the excellence and narrow-focus should come from that, and if that passion veers into another passion, so be it, but to not have purpose or passion is not ok. And the one girl said that running gives purpose to her life... as long as her parents are also supporting them in a healthy way when things dont go "well". Of course, passion ebbs and flows, so learning how to persevere when things are hard, to experience the good feelings that come from perseverance, would be one of those life lessons. Anyway, bla bla bla. I am seriously still sad every time I think about DD1's performance at Divisionals (potential for excellence not achieved), but Dh says an experience like that is exactly why she is climbing; to gain those life lessons before a big loss really screws with her life options lol.gif

Dh doesnt understand the push-yourself-till-you-throw-up philosophy either, but I think it's a metaphor for a life outlook. He and I see things differently lol.gif And I think both have benefits and minuses....

A funny, semi-related story: Dh and I started keeping inspirational quotes on a white board in our kitchen when he started med-school. I think he started it. One of the quotes was "Happiness is handling responsibility well". At the time I thought it was b.s.; how was all the responsibility I had to manage making me happy! lol.gif But as Ive matured (one hopes anyway) I think it is genius. The better I manage my responsibilities, from modeling good behavior for the kids to walking the dogs to exercising to studying when I dont want to etc. the happier I am. I told Dh this recently, as in, "remember that quote? It's genius. It is so right!!" and he says, "I made that one up" !!!! biglaugh.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#248 of 338 Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM

I want to add though that no one in the article mentioned the possible effects on the girls' endocrine systems!! Hello! What effect is this going to have on their fertility, and hormones in general, and concomitantly their bone density (estrogen helps bones absorb calcium) etc

#249 of 338 Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

A funny, semi-related story: Dh and I started keeping inspirational quotes on a white board in our kitchen when he started med-school. I think he started it. One of the quotes was "Happiness is handling responsibility well". At the time I thought it was b.s.; how was all the responsibility I had to manage making me happy! lol.gif But as Ive matured (one hopes anyway) I think it is genius. The better I manage my responsibilities, from modeling good behavior for the kids to walking the dogs to exercising to studying when I dont want to etc. the happier I am. I told Dh this recently, as in, "remember that quote? It's genius. It is so right!!" and he says, "I made that one up" !!!! biglaugh.gif

Ha! The problem with the happiness-responsibility link is thinking that taking on more responsibility will lead to greater happiness (such as taking two grad school classes in one semester...)

Speaking of overachieving kids, the new video of your daughter's climbing competitor keeps popping up on my FB feed. I can see how your daughter would be overwhelmed in the face of that kind of (apparently) supremely confident competition.

RR- I'm resting my shoulder after climbing yesterday. Minor aches only, but building up slowly. Hopefully I'll be ready for some circuit/strength tomorrow.

NRR- We saw the Chinese doctor today who gave me something for the cold I've been fighting all week and tweaked my daughter's herbs. He's convinced that the increase in bed wetting and accidents are actually a good sign of kidney function and detoxification. The good news is she's been off inhalers for almost two weeks and singulair for a week AND has been through a cold with minimal wheezing.

#250 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 AM
bec

Quickly dropping by to say that I did 13 miles yesterday. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#251 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Quickly dropping by to say that I did 13 miles yesterday. 

Yowza!

How's everyone doing?

MelW, that's great news that your DD has been doing so much better with breathing despite a cold!

Sparkle, I love that quote!! Seriously, that is so true in my life. Emphasis on "handling well" as opposed to taking on more, as Mel pointed out. I need to tape that on my mirror.

RR: Running on Saturday and a bike workout on the trainer yesterday. I am dressed for a run this morning, but quite bogged down in work so hopefully I can fit that in around lunchtime.

NRR: We have a new kitten in the house, and so far, our older cat is mad as hell. I have been keeping the kitten in a separate room with her own food and litter box, but letting her venture out for a bit this morning to get the lay of the land. Older kitty literally lunged at the kitten just 15 minutes ago, so I promptly put him outdoors. Scary. I have a cat pheromone diffuser, but I don't know if that is helping. Does rescue remedy help with animals? I was kind of (naively?) thinking that they might grow to be friends redface.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#252 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM

bec - great job on the 13 miler!

MelW - that Chinese healer is onto something! Wonderful that your DD has not needed her asthma meds.

Mel38 - I had an old cat and brought a kitten in. They hated each other for about a week and then I found them sleeping in a big, catty pile on the sofa! It really does take time for them to get used to each other. Enjoy your new kitty.

sparkle - the hormone thing was my first thought too when I read the article. Distance running at such a young age and at such fast paces just doesn't seem good for healthy puberty. But what do I know!

RR - played more lacrosse with DS in the basement last night, slipped on the floor in my socks, and bruised my butt! Still going for a walk this morning. It's very warm out today, for January at least.

NRR - DH is talking about looking for a new job. The Air Force will likely be furloughing all civilian employees in the next 3 months. That means NO pay for as long as the furlough lasts. Honestly, I hope he gets something and we can move. I can't even tell you how many times a day the thought, "We gotta get out of here!" crosses my mind! I'd love to move further east, toward "home". We'll see what happens.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#253 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 AM

Hi!  I'm coming up for air!!  LOL!! 

NRR: just been trying to catch my breath this week and get my feet back under me.  Things with DH are improving and I'm doing my best to forgive and move on.  Thank you so much for your support and commiseration it was really needed in my brokenness. 

I have a question re: inappropriateness in the workplace with a friend.  I normally would tell dh, but...with the current no meds/starting school/new job position, I'm hesitant to do so right now.  I do think I should tell him.  There is also the history of someone that I thought was just a  friend (was on my end, thought of him as a little brother) but dh and other people from our bible study thought he had a hidden agenda and went cray cray over it.  Turned out *that* guy DID have a hidden agenda even though I didn't see it.   Soooo....boss at work is a good friend, would do anything for our family, treats us all well, etc.  He has made a couple of comments over the last year or two that could be taken the wrong way.  In my mind, he would never do anything like that as he is a HUGE family man, LOVES his wife (they do almost everything together, lunch daily etc.)  I just laugh it off, but wondering if I should do something (what though?) about it?  It would totally ruin work/friendship/how dh sees him/other friends at work might be affected, etc.  Thoughts?  Questions? ugh!!

RR: didn't get my 3 mile run in yesterday as I"m still trying to navigate around dh's moods.  ITs okay, it was only three and I can tack some, if not all, on to today's run that I am really looking forward to.  I'm thinking that these inserts are worth the money as my foot didn't go crazy after my 12 miler on Friday.  I did have to ice it twice after running, but didn't need any ibuprofen, nor did I suffer any extra pain the next day!!  WOOT!!

#254 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Morning mamas,

RM - Is it inappropriate talk or touching?  If it was just talk I think I'd try to ignore it unless it was making me uncomfortable.  I definitely would hesitate to tell your dh seeing as he's been known to confuse other people's intentions with yours and he runs anxious already.  I'm sorry that you've got one more thing heaped on your plate.

Mel38 - Good luck with the kitten!  I brought in a second male kitten a few years ago and although the cats tolerate each other (mostly) they aren't exactly close - though I have caught them napping within inches of each other.  But that's two boys, I don't know how girls are.

MelW - So cool about your dd's asthma symptoms!  I love healers!

JayGee- Do you want to go all the way to NE?  Or just east of where you are?  I'll start picturing you there. :)

Sparkle - I think I have similar feelings re: uberly focused kids.  Half of me wishes that my kids had a passion for something like that and half of me is okay that they don't.  And then part of me wonders what I 'd do to help or hinder them if they did.  What if one of them was really into something they couldn't get enough of here?  Would I put my own involvements on hold to cart them around to theirs?  Would it matter if I agreed with what they liked?  Anyway, it was an interesting story.

RR: I'm still feeling like I could either finally get better or actually get worse so I've been basically a slug all weekend.  Today the kids don't have school, C is on a trip to Seattle but I've got Ali G and work.  I've also got an u/s to check for gallstones in an hour.  I'm not enjoying the being up but unable to drink coffee (or even water) and I'm a little anxious about what the results might be.  Fingers crossed that there's nothing to see.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#255 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Sparkle - I think I have similar feelings re: uberly focused kids.  Half of me wishes that my kids had a passion for something like that and half of me is okay that they don't.  And then part of me wonders what I 'd do to help or hinder them if they did.  What if one of them was really into something they couldn't get enough of here?  Would I put my own involvements on hold to cart them around to theirs?  Would it matter if I agreed with what they liked?  Anyway, it was an interesting story. 
This.

I too feel like I am coming up for air or getting my feet back under me. I wish I had a reason for the overwhelmed feeling. Just life I suppose. I am glad for all the dingos that are doing better and hope this is a good week for all.

namaste.gif
Hmm, maybe I should do some yoga. I want to feel good but I am having trouble motivating myself off my rear. As an aside, I was tallying miles for the month/year and thought if my goal was continuous improvement this year at least I haven't set the bar too high this month. eyesroll.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#256 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

Speaking of overachieving kids, the new video of your daughter's climbing competitor keeps popping up on my FB feed. I can see how your daughter would be overwhelmed in the face of that kind of (apparently) supremely confident competition.

Do you mean Ashima? Yeah, she triggers inner turmoil for me lol.gif I'm reluctant to admit that I do wish DD1 had the fire some of these competitive kids have, mostly I think, because she has potential in that area (athletics). I never, for example, yearn for her to be more ambitious about her art projects, 'cause there's not a lot of potential there lol.gifbag.gif But I hate seeing her be ambivalent about something that she could really kick butt at. I do believe that temperament is inborn, and there's only so much I can do to nudge, support, direct, etc., which is mostly turning into "let's look at the choices that you could make here and be aware of the possible outcomes of each" before I let her make a choice THAT KILLS ME INSIDE lol.gif She is such an introvert, and so fearful of failure that she just doesnt put herself out there unless she knows she can succeed. Le sigh. Anyway, I'm reeaaalllly trying to see her for who she is and honor that and help her make her way along HER path (it's not mine, it's not mine, she's not me....) but I cringe at all the difficulties she sets up for herself that, if she's just listen to me, she could avoid!! disappointed.giflol.gif

NRR: In hormone-slump-land. yuck

#257 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM

Plady--your story about not knowing what a syllabus was had me cracking up. Awesome.

kerc--glad to hear about the math club and math acceleration there. And yay for some swimming!

mommajb--I agree about reality. wink1.gif And I agree with your perception about high school AP teachers demanding excellence, whereas that may not be true at a CC or even a university. Even at the university, the prof may not be demanding the same level of excellence because either it's too large of a class, or because it's a gen-ed class for non-majors and we tend to set the standards lower. That sound bad, but I'm thinking of what I expect from music majors in an intro music lit class vs what I expected from my gen-ed music appreciation students. I have different expectations for them in terms of knowledge, and possibly also because the majors will continue to be around for the next three years.

RM: I wouldn't tell your DH about the one situation, perhaps not ever. My question for you is: what will telling him accomplish? If it will make you feel better, consider what might happen if he doesn't react in supportive ways. Ideally yes, you could tell him, but it might be better for all around if you talk about it with someone else supportive. As far as the guy at work, keep an eye on the situation and perhaps talk with some other co-workers. Maybe he just thinks he's funny or clever or likes to flirt but that's really and truly the end of it. If it is a threat though, or if it's making you uncomfortable, that's a different story completely.

Science Dingos: R wants to do a science fair project involving rocks and minerals. She can do an experiment involving the scientific method, or do an observation (basically an experiment with the scientific method, except with a known outcome). She likes crystals and would like to grow some. Do you have suggestions?

RR: ran the Yeti Chase 10K yesterday in 54:13. Hopefully a race report will follow tonight.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#258 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Do you mean Ashima? Yeah, she triggers inner turmoil for me lol.gif

I had my climbing phenoms confused. It's Brooke in the video I saw.

JayGee, fingers crossed for a positive move for you.

bec, way to go on the mileage!!

I just cut today's to do list in half. When the three year old asks "Are you feeling rushed, mum? Because you're not treating me the way I want to be treated." it's time to slow down. Fiddle lesson and post office trip aside, we're homeschooling (gasp) *from home* today. Novel idea... The kids have requesting some baking time this afternoon, we made Valentine cards and my oldest is ploughing through her math intent on finishing grade 2 math today.

#259 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

I had my climbing phenoms confused. It's Brooke in the video I saw.

lol.gif That is such a great video to show you all what I mean as far as how over-the-top some of these climbers are. How do you compete with that!. Yeah, Brooke is on the Boulder team, and her mom is the head coach of the Boulder team, and the whole team is like that: excellent. Brooke actually aged into the next category this year (she's a year older than DD1) so DD1 doesnt compete against her, but will again next year. Ashima actually beats Brooke every year at Nationals, but Ashima is based in NY so folks in the SW dont compete against her except at Nationals .... I know, this is way more about a niche activity than you all care to hear about lol.gif

#260 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM

It's actually pretty interesting to me, as is the conversation about to what degree parents might/do accommodate their kid's passions and talents. I have a 3 year old who seems to be a naturally gifted climber (top of the wall!) with grace and an intuitive way of scaling the wall. Right now we're happily climbing once or twice a week on our little wall. But if she got serious? I'm not sure that I would drive the 40 minutes to the nearest gym, or 1-3 hours to the nearest decent coach. Same goes for my oldest and her violin- if she stays serious about it the closest music academy/rigorous teacher is over an hour away. Luckily we have a few years before these questions really arise, and I'm more likely to encourage the kids to branch out within our communities (such as the fiddle groups) rather than seek out top tier performance. I see some of this as a rural/urban life choice.

Plady- I hope the gallbladder scan went well. I read an interesting paleo article recently about gallbladder and gluten sensitivity links. http://paleoparents.com/featured/the-link-between-gallbladder-disease-and-gluten-sensitivity/

#261 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

NRR - DH is talking about looking for a new job. The Air Force will likely be furloughing all civilian employees in the next 3 months. That means NO pay for as long as the furlough lasts. Honestly, I hope he gets something and we can move. I can't even tell you how many times a day the thought, "We gotta get out of here!" crosses my mind! I'd love to move further east, toward "home". We'll see what happens.

When do you find out, and how long do those furloughs last? My mother works for a government agency and just started a mandatory 2 week furlough, but she's ecstatic about it. No bills, no mouths to feed, no mortgage... yeah, I'd be ecstatic, too. Otherwise, it just sounds scary.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#262 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Plady- any news on the gallbladder? Hope the scan itself was easy.

NRR: it's verbal comments that he makes when no one else can hear. The reasons to tell dh are that I don't want him to think I'm hiding anything, 2-because he is my best friend with whom I tell everything to, 3- because he has good insite on how to handle work stuff because he is a manager. Sigh. What to do?!

school took us 5 straight hours at the computer, which amazes me since we switched ds1 to a non-stimulant ADHD medicine that doesn't help with the concentration as well. He rocked out two long tests, 2 huge quizzes, and two lessons over that time. With all a's and B's!!

RR: ran 6, 3 from today, then three from yesterday. It took until mile 4 to feel in the groove. Looking. Forward to speed work tomorrow.
#263 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM

RM, I would address it with your boss directly. If he's being playful and just flirting for the fun of it, he should respond well to a calm, casual request to tone it down and keep things more professional. I've had flirtatious friendships before where it was fun to a point and then needed to put some brakes on, and am all about the honesty. Just ask the friend who I sought clarification from by emailing: "Are we really friends, or am I just jack off fodder?" I'd be more delicate with a boss, but think that directness is helpful. I'm also very open and honest with my husband about any flirtation or tension, etc, but think that timing is important. My strategy would be to deal with the boss, then let hubby know. YMMV.

I hadn't realized how much my kids have been missing down time at home lately. They have been playing upstairs for two hours while I made a ton of meals for the week and started organizing the garage. More weekend days at home are in order, I think.

#264 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM

RM, can you just say, "Hey dude, this is crossing a boundary for me. It's not personal, but I like my space/distance/not touching." or "Okay, I just want you to know I'm not comfortable with that joke/comment/line." Then, if you have a close friend, you could talk to her about it so there's one other person with whom you've discussed it. Me? I probably wouldn't mention it to my dh. For one thing, mine would definitely get upset about it in a territorial way and I just wouldn't want that energy in my workspace. For another, it would forever alter how my dh was with that person possibly making it difficult to continue to work there. If it seems harmless, put him in his place. If it progresses, then maybe ask dh to step in? I don't know. I don't feel like I should tell my dh everything so I may not have any good advice for ya. What does your gut tell you? I'm all about the gut. lol.gif

Plady, how was that u/s? How are you feeling?

MelW, homeschooling at home. lol.gif Novel idea!

I find the talk about becoming excellent at something fascinating. Mostly I feel like my kids just need to have fun at this age and become excellent later. But then I recall reading something about how Americans have sort of a cult-obsession with Average. Like try everything. Be good at everything. And then no one is good at any one thing. Then I start questioning my own philosophy.

Sparkle, your dd1 reminds me of my ds1. He's so not competitive. It's just not his nature. And I'm all... let's compete! It's fun. You'll love it! And it's just me pushing. I think my second son may have that in his personality but I really struggle with just how content my first child is to not compete. But then I remember when I was I high school. My 2 best friends were so competitive for valedictorian that it made my friendship with each of them difficult. Plus, my mom was valedictorian of high school and college and all that pressure just felt like too much. I used the bickering friends' as my excuse to settle for somewhere near the top. Which is just laziness and complacency on my part. But, gosh darn, I was happy. And they didn't seem to ever be happy. Really love your dh's quote. You make me laugh at your description of yourselves.

RR: Ran today for the first time in weeks! I was afraid it would be terrible but it was actually fun. I kicked it and felt so strong. Thankfully I didn't time myself so I can't know just how slow I really was. But seriously, I had a great beautiful run with the dog.

NRR: Writing a ton. Just tons. Entering a memoir piece and a fiction piece in two competitions this week. Gave each of my kids a blank sheet of paper and told them to pick 3. Basically, I wrote Monday at the top and listed 1, 2, & 3. They had to pick 3 main subjects they'd work on for the day and I'd check them later. On the other side, I wrote 3 responsibilities: Music, Assigned Reading & Chores. But I had to write, could not teach but would get with them later. So far, so good. They both chose Math, History & Logic and then I went over their work with them after dinner. Tomorrow, I will do the same but since they didn't do their chores they'll have to double up. Oh well. Everything else went pretty well for an auto-pilot homeschool day for 9 & 12. At least it's a step in the direction of my dream.

#265 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM

JayGee, maybe this IS the cosmic butt-kick and your whispered "get outta here" prayers will soon be answered. I hope it can all go down smoothly and without scary pain.

MelW, that Paleo Mom is pretty wow to read. I used to have gallbladder issues back when I was very large and also young. I wonder what my triglycerides were back then when I ate like a fool...Anyway, I am also very wowed that your dd is getting relief with Chinese medicine, and have mentioned it to another mama looking for asthma alternatives.

RM, I would likely respond with a look rather than words at first. I have a very expressive face and use it often with other people's kids, to communicate my displeasure and disapproval without confronting their parents by dealing verbally. hide.gif In my case, the face says it all. One comment over the line, I would shoot a look that says, "Oh, please," and the reaction would likely defuse things pretty fast.

I have the same thoughts about my kids and passions. They seem to have none right now, besides Lego and Minecraft. Dd has a theoretical horseback riding passion, which we can't afford to indulge here, and ds...just no fire, ever. Maybe he'll develop a passion for Zen practice or something. lol.gif I some days feel like we're missing a boat, but I'm self-centered enough to get over it fast enough.

Lofty, so glad you are writing! After I threw a little tantrum yesterday about mine, I sat down and pounded out a couple thousand words...am in the middle now, so I just have to keep slogging. A 100,000 to 120,000 word project is, for me, harder than marathon training ever was. Doesn't make sense, but it is so.

I have been writing their schedules on white boards in the mornings, and it's up to them to complete. They are making goal, in general. But why do we have to start with this 9yo girl and almost-12yo boy BS? I want to walk out most of the time, rather than deal with sullen and b!tc#y.

RR: Biked yesterday, and today we will bike down the Corniche, lock the bikes and walk to our tutor's house for Quranic reading class.

#266 of 338 Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM

Wow, Jo. You are miles ahead of me in writing. I feel like I'm writing so much but it's not close to a couple thousand words. You give me something to look forward to. joy.gif Sorry about the 9 & 12 yo bs. Hope it passes. I've read that for every year a kid is in school they need a year off to de--compress? no. de- something... not sure. (There's a book about the emotional transition of school to home.) Maybe it's just to re-create relationships. Sounds extreme. Hope it's not. But I'll tell you (ahem, in admonishing teacher voice what I told mine once nono.gif ) : We have a lot of moves ahead of us and you will meet and get to know a lot of people but only your sibling will travel with you to all of those places. So you're all you have for a long time so you better figure it out now. You're going to need each other whether it's because of the moves you're dealing with or difficulties you might have with me or your dad or both of us. But you're going to need each other. And you're going have to help each other. So figure it out. Now. (Queue dramatic walk-out) eyesroll.gif They were stunned. And I was pi$$ed. Anyway they don't fight at all and that was about 6 years ago. Maybe they're just scared to do it in my presence, lol.gif Only time will tell, right? Love the idea of being a Zen expert. My boy could challenge him for that one! smile.gif

#267 of 338 Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 AM

Plady - I would love NE, but my Georgia-born husband isn't so sure he can live there! That whole Yankee thing, you know wink1.gif. I hope your u/s was okay.

Kids & internal motivation - DH and I have been talking a lot about this recently. Mainly, why do some children have a "fire in the belly" that drives them toward success (academic, athletic, etc.) while the vast majority are content to just kind of float along. My kids KNOW they won't get any better at piano or swimming, or soccer or Irish dance if they don't practice, yet they kvetch and complain and try to get out of it. But I know some kids who LOVE to practice and really work to get better. Dont' know if it's a parenting thing, a maturity thing, or a personality trait. Anyway, DH especially finds it hugely irritating that his children don't want to work to improve their innate skills. I reminded him that at their age, he was pretty much busy watching TV, tagging after his older brother, and annoying his older sisters! There was no fire in his belly until he discovered soccer at age 14. Maybe we just start kids way to early in activities and expect way too much?

RR - I need to do my PT exercises this morning, and maybe a walk if it doesn't rain.

NRR - could have done without the cat-induced wakeup at 1:30am, and the other cat induced wakeup at 5:45 (when I just said screw it and got up). Have I mentioned how irritating my cats are? At least no one barfed last night...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#268 of 338 Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 AM

JG - Can I just copy your entire post!? lol.gifdisappointed.gif Except in my case it was dogs and kids (two kids in the bed - dh at work - dog howl in the middle of the night, and then a huge dog mess all over the livingroom rug as a "good-morning" grossedout.gif). And then to cap it all off, literally, ds clogged the toilet! Dh and I have the same conversations. I think it's a combination of all of those, and yeah, I'm hoping that the modeling we're doing (of striving) will resonate for them later when they are more mature? I know when I kvetch about studying to DD1 she seems to get that I dont necessarily love it but I keep plugging away because of the bigger picture, which helps her plug away at the essay she doesnt want to write .... shrug.gif

#269 of 338 Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM

Well, my complaining must have done something. We had a rough day, but it worked out in the end. Mr. Sullen had a note-taking breakthrough first. He was overwhelmed with the idea of the whole paper, and figured, to get it done, he should start writing it. It's a research paper. Well. I took away the MS Word (?!), helped him get rolling with organizing source cards, sources and note cards, and explained that he is simply harvesting information right now--not evaluating, sorting, organizing. Just taking notes and making a big pile of notecards. Cue angels singing, tears drying, the hood being pulled off to expose the face, etc. So then he took notes for an hour or so, and made real progress. We'll do that some more tomorrow, and by next week, we'll be working on the next research paper. This week atomic weapons and next week, FDR. Science project, here we come. dizzy.gif

And dd tried, despite being warned, to whine her way to staying and playing after tutoring. But I held fast and dragged her home to finish our lesson goals. I was firm today! Woot!

And we have a mystery novel to finish, quick, before next week's book club. 

loftmama likes this.
#270 of 338 Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Re kids: I think society is expecting too much, too fast. Thus, articles featuring super-focused, successful kids which trick the rest of us into thinking that's more normal than it is, tons of people complaining about parents letting kids play video games and watch TV (as if previous generations were somehow all constructively involved with chemistry sets and engineering complex structures out of legos in their free time), and the entire school reform movement that continues pounding on the idea that our kids are all sub-par compared to the rest of the world and that our entire education system stinks, never mind that neither is particularly accurate. And thus society pushing harder than ever for kids to achieve more, faster.

Putting out another call for the science dingos: any ideas for a rock/mineral-based science project? Bonus points if it involves crystals. smile.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 

Tags
Weight Management , Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page