Mothering Forum banner

8 Week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge 7.0 (enrolling through Feb. 6, starts Feb. 4)

9K views 225 replies 27 participants last post by  Millie Ivy 
#1 ·
Words of wisdom from Milk8shake (with minor modifications):

"The first thru six eight week challenges were a great success, and many of us are up for another eight weeks - we're opening it up for any newbies who would like to join the next round of the challenge. Please read below.

Background:

The thought came to my head because I joined the "losing weight in 2012" thread, but I didn't have much motivation, and I had no-one to be accountable to. I was thinking about the Biggest Loser, and how teams can be such a motivation. So, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who needs to get some weight loss happening, but just can't seem to get off the couch.

The challenge:

Commit to an eight week weight loss challenge. You'll be assigned to a team, and your weight loss percentage will be measured on an individual and a team basis. The team with the highest loss percentage at the end of the eight weeks will be the winner. This is a TEAM effort. If you lose, your team wins! Your weekly progress will be updated on the leader board for all to see.

The requirements/rules:

1. You have to be willing to commit to the full eight weeks beginning February 4, 2013 and ending March 25, 2013.
  2. You have to be willing to commit to exercising a minimum of 4 x 30 minute sessions per week - the type of exercise is up to you!
  3. You have to be willing to check in and update your progress and weight at least weekly on Mondays.
  4. You have to be willing to share your weight and your height. (By PM if you are shy)
  5. You may not join if losing 1 lb / .5 kg per week will put you in an underweight category according to your BMI (check here) at the end of eight weeks.
  6. If you miss more than 2 weigh-ins, we will continue to track, but your loss will NOT contribute to your team's totals.

The prize:

A thinner waistline, a slimmer derriere, and the opportunity to bask in the glory of the winning team.

The challenge will not start until February 4, 2013.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm in! Ill wait to post my stats until we get a little closer, but I wanted to re-introduce myself. I was with the weight loss challenge last spring, when we lost our son, and some of the ladies from here were amazing support for me. Anyway, we chose to TTC immediately after our loss, and had great luck- we got pregnant with twins, who were born three weeks ago.

Anyway, I've had 4 babies in 3 years, and Im holding onto an extra 25-30 lbs from the very first pregnancy. I need to lose this weight, and now I have a little more motivation than before: we are planning to wait a good long while before even thinking about having any more kids, so I can get thin without feeling like it was a waste because I just got knocked up again :) Plus, DH finally got himself on a scale and has realized that he needs to lose 30-50lbs for him to be at his goal weight, so for the first time Im not having to combat junk food in the house. No pizza rolls, pop tarts, sweet tea, and ramen noodles to have to resist. He's finally letting me be 100% in charge of meals, and we are eating primarily paleo, with a little butter and cheese mixed in.

SO, my big goal is to lose 30 lbs by Christmas 2013, that way I can eat what I want for Christmas, gain five lbs and still say I lost 25 lbs in 2013 :) Anyway, if I can lose 8-10 in this 8 week challenge it would get me off to a great start. Feb and March are my two worst overeating months out of the year because it's when it's cold and gray and there is very little to do outside, so Im really needing support to not eat more than I need to .

#5 ·
Adaline's Mama - glad to see you back and now you have 3 sweet little girls! Precious indeed. I remember your loss of Charlie last spring. I hope this challenge is just the kick start you need.

Of course I am in on the challenge too. It will end just before I will probably be going through my first IVF cycle at the end of March. I would like to lose 10 pounds by then to kick start my body before I go into "being pregnant" mode.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStein View Post

I might be interested, but I haven't a clue how to exercise. I actually hate it :( Anyone else hate exercising and not know where to begin?
I think the best way to start exercising is to walk. Being specific about a 30 minute time to walk would be a great way to get started.

#9 ·
Well, I'm a little afraid to sign up again since I didn't do very well on this last challenge. I may sit this one out just because it isn't really fair to the others on the same team. Don't know if it just a plateau that I'm at or what. I will wait to see how this last weigh in is and decide then. So far I have walked everyday since Sunday and lovin' my new "glass" water bottle. So maybe, just maybe, I'll have some good news on "Weigh Day".

#10 ·
woodchick, this sounds like a great challenge for you to join in on! Welcome aboard!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodymove View Post

Well, I'm a little afraid to sign up again since I didn't do very well on this last challenge. I may sit this one out just because it isn't really fair to the others on the same team. Don't know if it just a plateau that I'm at or what. I will wait to see how this last weigh in is and decide then. So far I have walked everyday since Sunday and lovin' my new "glass" water bottle. So maybe, just maybe, I'll have some good news on "Weigh Day".
Nobodymove, just think what would happen if you didn't have the weekly challenge to be accountable to. I say stick it out another 8 weeks, up your exercise, and see what happens by the end of March before you make a decision.

#12 ·
Hi there!!I would like to join, I really like the idea of accountability and a joined effort. I had two babies in two years so I need to loose at least 15 lbs. I am still breastfeeding and started a running program 3 weeks ago. It is slow, but I have time till the summer, right? Also, need to cut out some foods for these 8 weeks. I hope it is doable!!!

#13 ·
Hey! I'd love to join. I have weight to lose and a diet to improve
smile.gif
. I had a total thyroidectomy thurs but I'm clear to start walking tomorrow and I can go back to lifting (heavy!) in three weeks. I'm back to work in two weeks. I've been following the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and I love it. If any of you hate cardio/
running/group classes i highly recommend it. It has really changed my shape and eliminated my weak core/back pain. My husband and I will both start low carb on the 1st as well. This is not so fun but upping protein, lowering carbs, no alcohol
greensad.gif
does work for me.

#14 ·
Welcome! Next Monday, Feb. 4 we will start with our initial weigh in. Glad you have all chose ton join us.

#19 ·
Finally I'm in on this!! Just had a baby right before xmas. between pregnancy, birthing at the holidays, and then winter preventing me from wanting to take the baby out on walks much, AND a nicu visit at 2 weeks old (flu!) I think I've actually gained a few lbs since the birth. bah

I'm currently 170ish. I'm ordering a new scale today which should get here before official start so I'll have an exact weight. I will also retake my measurements later (I took them yesterday and about fell over I was so shocked.) I'm bigger than I've been in years. I've maintained 125-140ish for the past 9 years and am not happy with this.

So my food is basically primal/TF focusing on higher fat and protein and lower carb. I normally am not LOW carb but I might go a bit lower for a couple weeks to get stuff started. I am breastfeeding so I won't be cutting calories really low or anything crazy. I need to eat cleaner, drink less booze and more water.

At this weight and the fact that I'm bfing I could probably be easily losing 2 lbs a week. But I won't make that my goal or anything. In 8 weeks I want to aim for 12 lbs loss from wherever I start.

I'm 5'3.5'' , normally pear shape but I have ginormous boobs from breastfeeding right now. lol

I'll track food via sparkpeople for at least 2 weeks to get me on track.

Woo!

#20 ·
Hi! I would love to join. I am highly motivated to loose, no more babes for me. I'm still bfing DS, but only to go to bed, and he's 3 ( nearly ) so don't consider when loosing weight. I just started WW today, afetr just being disgusted with myself. I did not join their programme, but have all the info from 7 years ago, when I did it.

My goal is to stay away from sugar, and loose 50lbs :) I want to not feel embarrassed on the beach.

#21 ·
Hey!! I just found this - in the nick of time. I am starting a weight loss program tomorrow and would love to have some community. I have done these challenges before, but have really slipped.
redface.gif

So, weight watchers for me. I have done ww before and it really is a good program for me. I eat well, just need the accountability of measuring my portions and tracking my food. I have a huge appetite! A ridiculously large appetite. If left to my own devices, I would eat enough for 2 grown men. So, portion control is my biggest issue.

I am headed to the store to stock my fridge and buy a bathroom scale. My scale broke several months ago and I have been living in denial. My pants are tight again (my fat pants, that is) and I am super uncomfortable in my body right now. It is not good for my mental health -- I have had 4 beautiful babies, but the extra flub around my middle makes me cringe. I don't like my dh to even put his arms around me right now -- he kind of has to stretch a bit to do it.
greensad.gif

Will weigh in tomorrow and get started...I think I am around 190, looking to lose 20 pounds this challenge.

#22 ·
Glad you found us! We are looking for a few more joiners! Lots of encouragement comes from company. Initial weigh in tomorrow!

#23 ·
I hope a couple more of the people from the last challenge will join us and some more that may just need that bit of community encouragement to lose weight and look better for the spring that is not too far away!

#25 ·
I would really like to join! I'm 6mo pp with #2 and I have about ten pounds to lose. I'm toying around with a primal diet right now (as in, I've been on it for about a month and I am feeling my way around to see what works best for me), but I'm really interested in starting the whole30 program to just kind of reset everything. I don't have a ton to lose but I could really, really use the motivation and support! I am aiming for five to eight pounds over an eight week period.

#26 ·
I'm out again. Still healing from broken leg/ankle. I will be back for the next challenge, after I start physical therapy, walking, and back on the ice again.
smile.gif
I will need the support after all the inactivity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.