Dingoes LOVE to RUN through February! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MDC is crazy. If I'm not signed it, every item of clothing mentioned in the thread (and there are many) is linked to an online shopping site. Once I log in, it no longer looks like Plady and mommajb are spamming us. headscratch.gif

Geo, how about this one? http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html  My other suggestion is a private lesson focused on stoke improvement. If you can make your stroke more efficient it might become much easier to sustain it and and to get a better workout. A private instructor/coach should be able create a workout plan for you, too.

Mel, hooray for your kitty's return!

RM, enjoy the new shoes.

lofty, I'm glad the biopsy was normal and hope you find a good solution for the bleeding (and soon!)

RR- I turned the compost and turned over my cover crops today. The theme of the week seems to be arms with the climbing and gardening.

math-related: My kids have been loving the vi hart "doodling in math class" videos on youtube and we've been making tons of math-inspired doodles for a few days. I love the rants about boring math class and teaching to standardized testing, too.

NRR- At the first meeting for the advisory committee for the official community plan there was a woman who supervised my high-school "work experience" where I did a placement shadowing her prenatal classes. This week I'll start teaching prenatal classes. Small world with strange co-incidences. Also, the meeting of the advisory committee was surprisingly fun. Three hours of discussing community planning and policy. I'm officially a really big geek, or old, or both bag.gif

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 PM

disappointed.gif on the school issues. I realize now that by virtue of their personalities, ds and dd opted to slowly die inside rather than defy expectations and end up in the principal's office. guilty.gif So, while it is such a slog some most many days, I am really thankful we three have had this opportunity basically forced upon us. While ds doesn't have a lot of freedom to take or leave lessons and just test through things like dd does, at least he has the freedom to fly through what's easy for him and spend longer on things he finds harder. I feel guilty I didn't do this with him earlier; I feel like he would really have benefited so much. But I don't think I was in the place I'd have needed to be for him to get the best of being home then. So we work from where we are, right? Anyway, I am stoked to have just two more school days before we take a two-week break (kind of, mostly...but will sneak in French here and there).

I really wonder what is going on inside the heads of teachers who are approached by engaged parents and then respond with the whole first-we-must-break-the-spirit routine. Is it that too many other concerns are crowding out the ability to respond to the needs of an outlier?

Mel38, I am so happy your kitty is back. I thought of him as I ran along the Corniche this AM. Someone went out and did a mass stray-cat feeding. There were piles of cat food--and I mean enormous piles--and many repurposed plastic bottles cut into water dishes--all up and down the walk. Guerilla compassion. I love it.

MelW, I'm just amazed by the results you've seen for dd. What a feeling that must be for you, making it like this even through flu season. Just amazing. Sucks that so many people don't have coverage to access "alternative" treatments outside the usual pharma.

lofty, whatever it is, I hope your sleeping binge helped bring about healing. goodvibes.gif, mama.

Shanti, I am thankful you have the new job to feed your soul. Things do turn. Sometimes it feels like forever. I hope you figured out the furnace. I know I have had luck sometimes just calling, like kerc said, the number of whatever service sticker was on and just asking over the phone. They would usually, esp in heating season, just as soon help you out than add another service call. I hope you solved it.

Plady and mommajb, enjoy! joy.gif I hope you get to meet up and that it's lovely.

bec, thought of you and your LRs while out on my very humble little run-walk this morning.

RR: A lovely, if humble, hour-long walk/run this morning. About 5 miles total. Humidity is up, will probably need to start using the inhaler again. Could certainly be worse. Plans for the rest of the day include riding bike with the kids to go buy that birthday present, and if we're lucky, pool time.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

I really wonder what is going on inside the heads of teachers who are approached by engaged parents and then respond with the whole first-we-must-break-the-spirit routine. Is it that too many other concerns are crowding out the ability to respond to the needs of an outlier?
DH and I have had a lot of conversations about this, in part because bright personalities really do run the gamut. Among a group of IRL friends, most of them basically said that if a kid wasn't acting out and just needed more challenging work they weren't "really" gifted and I disagreed rather vehemently. There's probably a number of things--including the fact that so many classrooms have more kids than ever and more problems on either end of the spectrum than ever, and so there are a lot of outliers and a lot of pressures on teachers, and very little in the way of support or resources. But I think the kind of personality that tends to go into K-8 teaching also likes following the rules, was a kid who followed the rules, and doesn't really understand why someone who wants something beyond what the rest of the class is doing--and is one of the bright ones--wouldn't do the blasted worksheet first. And yes, I was the kid who, as bored as I spent many, many years of school being, wouldn't have dreamed of not doing the worksheet first. I've always been pretty logical and even as a kid I knew that not doing the worksheet would get me in trouble, but doing it, especially because it doesn't take any time at all, would get me positive rewards and maybe I'd even have time to do what I really wanted. It didn't break my spirit or crush my creativity or anything. The hardest part of school for me was being the freaky bright kid who was ostracized by my peers, even if the teachers loved me. My guess is that many teachers, already frustrated by classroom behavior issues, don't understand why a kid wouldn't go for the path of least resistance (i.e., "if you're so smart, why can't you figure out that you'd get what you want fastest by just doing the worksheet?").

Working with the kids in R's class has been...interesting because I haven't ever seen what that spectrum looks like. I like the bright kids, but I really value behaving well and would be a terrible GT teacher for elementary kids because I just don't have that kind of patience for the multiple intense, demanding, and challenging personalities in that class. The GT program places about as much emphasis on meeting the social/emotional needs of that population as it does on challenging them, so we feel blessed. The demand for the center classrooms definitely outpaces the need though, and I'm not sure what kind of an experience parents are having with kids in a regular classroom with an ALP. I've long thought of one of the biggest benefits being that R doesn't have the experience of always being the freaky bright kid in the class and instead being with a group of peers, but I know many of our other parents are glad to have the social/emotional component to address a myriad of issues.

Geo--1000 yards in 30 minutes seems pretty decent to me. That's what I do, but I do it all freestyle except for 2 laps of breaststroke to warm up. Then again, I'm not a particularly fast swimmer.

Nic - hugs and goodvibes.gif. I hope you can find a workable solution for your son.

goodvibes.gif to everyone dealing with (or dreading) perimenopause.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 AM
bec

1000 yards is pretty decent for 30 minutes.  I am not a very fast swimmer (we probably get around 1200-1500 in the 30 minutes we have during tri class in the pool).  I worked my stamina up by really just trying to do gradually increasing my continuous swimming.  I started with a lap (sounds like you are further than that), take a break (about 15ish seconds), and would repeat.  Next swim, I would do 2 laps, and so forth.  I had a little break through around 6-7 laps.  However, at that point, I really just had to push through it.  The tricky part was finding my cruising speed and figuring out how to breathe.  Once I had the breathing down (I started by only breathing on one side, and breathing on every other stroke), I was able to concentrate on the speed.  I felt that I was either drowning or sprinting.  Finding that in between was tricky.  Using the pull buoy (the butterfly thing between the legs) is probably the easiest way to increase your arm strength.  There are a whole bunch of drills that are designed to improve your form as well. 

I have a lot of running on the schedule this week, and it just looks awful, awful outside!  I think I'm going to do 8 on the treadmill today and hope for better weather for my 17 later this week!  Eeks!  It doesn't help that my period started yesterday, so all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a blanket, a sad movie and some pudding!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 AM

On schooling:  it turns out that we don't actually teach people how to be accommodating. There's the whole ginormous collective on the web that says the reason against public schooling and pro: homeschooling is to allow for kids not fitting into the pigeon holes we like to put kids into. And I think how that happens depends on (a). the teachers' personality; (b). the teachers' experience (or lack thereof); (c). the prinicpal's willingness to think outside the box.  But it is like so many other things in this world: the result you get depends on what you put into it. We're now in a place where baby boomers are retiring and sadly, the new generation of smart women aren't always teaching. Before, less career choice meant lots of super smart, innovative women went into teaching. Now, I think we don't see that as often. I think too, if you're a not super smart teacher (but smart enough to get the job done) you could be threatened by a super smart kid/family.  My oldest has the smartest teacher she has ever had this year.  Ok she had her last year, but honestly, this lady is sharp. She's ok with kids doing different things as long as they get the basics done.

On swimming:  most people who swim for fitness don't pop into the pool and just crank out the miles. Most, all?, people who train in the pool train using intervals. So although yes, I can swim 3000 yards in a row without stopping, I don't. Also when I do swim 3000 yards without stopping I'm swimming at a low heart rate for a long time vs. pushing it for a longer time. That website 0to1650 is great, the link didn't work for me so I googled it and it came up. If you look down at the bottom of the page, there's a "lunchtime swim" tab. That's good too.

waist belt -- not usually a big help for swimming horizontally -- but usually you use it to "run". I tend to call it a water jogging belt.

I don't usually use fins because it puts a lot of stress on my knees. But your mileage may vary.

"butterfly foam things people somehow seem to prop between their knees" -- called a pull buoy.  Put it between your thighs, not your knees. The basic idea is like that of a kickboard -- isolate the legs so you don't have to kick. Lots and lots of runners like to use a pull buoy once they get used to it because they find their legs are not efficient at kicking (and they normally feel like their legs are sinking). So although technically you aren't kicking, in reality you do use your legs a smidge.

If you feel like you can really move with your legs and not much with your arms -- consider doing stuff like swimming one length, turning onto your back and kicking back. Rest ~10-15 seconds. Repeat 8 (?)  times.  (so in swim lingo:  you're doing 8 x 50 (25 swim, 25 kick on your back), 15 sec rest.).

Also: there is a masters' group at your major state university. I know someone from college who has been quite involved and I'll ask about where the best beginner workout is. I second the idea that masters swimmers are super open to newbies.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
bec

Quick run by to report 8 dreadful miles on the treadmill.  It was so cold, windy and icy outside today that this was preferable.  Why do I dread these mid-length runs more than the long runs?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Lofty, I am glad your health news is good and I hope it continues in that direction.

Is there a resource (I prefer a book) that is accessible but good and informative to put some of this peri-menopause and menopause? There was an author I remember seeing on my mom's shelves that I could ask her about but I am looking for something up to date. I want a frame of reference for symptoms and 'treatments'. I am due for a check up but I do not want to go in without a better of understanding of where I stand. Links are good too but serve me differently - just another sign of how old I really am.

Geo, I am not a swimmer but an old rp from before the move was the highschool swim coach and she helped quite bit. You have gotten more information than I can offer but I want to add a nod.gif to the intervals.

kerc, I think I understand and agree with so much of what you said about schools/teachers/administrators though you framed it much more positively than I often do. The incredible teachers make such a difference in a child's life (and the family's).

bec, those mid range runs are still long and I found them harder to co-ordinate during the week with all the other regular obligations.

No run for me today. It is cold and rainy. I am supposed to go to dinner and Costco with dh when he gets home. I made the kiddos go grocery shopping with me earlier. My plan is to talk him into something easy like Chipotle and to check out the JCC instead. I think I would like a gym membership again but I have not found a good fit yet.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM

Swimming with masters one summer when I was in university gave me a range of swim workout strategies that I still draw upon now. They were wonderfully supportive of every level of swim speed and experience, from uber-competitive to the old man who always wore flippers and cut down the workouts to finish in time.

kerc, I was thinking of the smart teachers I know and they are all either older, teach high-school, or have moved on to various "niche" programs (gifted ed, special ed, private schools, charter schools, etc). In the general population of elementary school teachers, I'm generally not impressed.

jo, I'm so lucky to have the access to our TCM practitioner. I'm even more lucky that it's entirely free. He does it out of kindness and service to the community. We usually bring some fruit in exchange for the care and herbs (and I'm told he often passes on the fruit to people in need). I feel so, so grateful. I googled your corniche recently to see photos, and it's truly gorgeous. I love when you share when you're out for a run/walk there, because now I can imagine where you are.

mommajb, I also googled Chipotle. I've often heard US friends talk about it (mostly when I lived in Oregon and newcomers talked about missing Chipotle). It looks yummy- have a great evening and I hope you find a good fit gym!

I've heard good things about Christiane Northrup's "The Wisdom of Menopause", and seen it on a lot of shelves.

My RR for the day was snow/slush shoveling, though most has melted. There was just enough to cancel the plan to run alongside my oldest biking while the little one was in preschool.

NRR- Fiddle group tonight. We'll be celebrating the 99th birthday of the oldest member, and my youngest wants to bring her ukulele to play along for a song or two (only songs in A, since it's her one chord). I'm excited!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That swimming plan looks great. How do I work my way up to week one? Of my 1000 yards, 600 are with the kickboard. My freestyle is evidently "gorgeous" and now all I need to do it "go faster.". I'm feeling a little mystified,

Despite all our trials, I do think that the general approach of K-2 learning school skills is well placed. These broadly are consistent with social norms of interacting in group situations. Shrug. The problem comes when you have a kid who falls outside the 1-in a 100 for a particular issue (no matter what it might be). A teacher who has taught less than 100 kids (5 years experience) will likely then encounter the issue in your child for the first time. When the issues don't look obviously or stereotypically outside the norm, the teacher, drawing on reasonable experience, will tend to misinterpret the issue along more typical lines. 10 years experience seems to be the breakpoint for my family - any less than that and we need to bring in something external to allow for the variances to be interpretted. Both my kids have thrown even experienced teachers for a loop, the difference being those teachers can now identify that the issues are something requiring more. We've seen this on both ends of the spectrum, with DS' teacher saying that DS' issues aren't articulation or any speech issue she's seen, but that DS needs a speech eval. Now, I've been saying this for what, 2 years now? Hopefully the weight of this teacher's experience will get us more than laughed at by a SLP. wink1.gif
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM

Ok, just scrolled up. I guess I missed kerc's post.

Yes to everything she said about education.

Ok, the swimming thing makes sense, though the whole "intervals before distance" seems wrong to this dingo. I'll keep at it.

The masters group is incompatable with morning kid duty.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Ok, the swimming thing makes sense, though the whole "intervals before distance" seems wrong to this dingo. I'll keep at it.

I read an article in Outside recently where the writer trained fro a marathon by doing crossfit (short, intense workouts). I cant remember what his long run was, but maybe 13. He's 42 and has too many injuries to pile on distance so he was trying this method advocated by the crossfit inventor. he PR'ed shrug.gif

mamajb - wisdom of menopause is the one i always hear about. i also posted this awhile back and found it very helpful to re-read this time...

although I have to admit, I havent even thought of TCM duh.gif (however, ive had spotty results with it in the past, and I dont want to wait 3 mos to "see what happens"...)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 PM

The JCC was incredible -the whole place not just the gym. The preschool list of special features includes a choice of Russian, French, Hebrew and Chinese. All preschool students participate in music, PE, and Spanish. The list of special classes, enrichments, specialists on staff was amazing. Too bad I don't have a preschooler, but the classes for older children were equally impressive. The membership is a bit out of range financially, they have a smith machine but not a squat rack, and they do not open until 6am which is the time I aim to be home so it won't really work. Also, they had full length mirrors. My mom told me the ones I have are very 'kind' and I didn't believe her but now I do. greensad.gif I obviously still have work to do figuring this one out. And if a gym has fun house mirrors I want them to make me look good!

MelW, that is the author I have seen on shelves too and it looks like the book was re-released last year. It is something to think about. Maybe I need to look at things from a new direction as I do know I would be young given my family history. It this change moving younger like the onset of menses? Maybe I am just losing my mind?

I hope the fiddling was enjoyable!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 AM

Sore legs.

After running and then also biking yesterday, this morning I opted for walking on the beach. Good enough. Rode bikes the 5 minutes to the beach club in the afternoon and didn't even get my swimsuit wet.

Just having a doozy of a homeschooler day. Maybe it's the rollercoaster that took me most by surprise--how my kids can blow me away with their brilliance in the morning, and in the afternoon, prove that they are capable of entirely avoiding thought altogether. Or vice-versa, PM to AM, or one day to the next. Even within subjects. Dd can write a brilliant poem one day, and the next, a sentence instead of a paragraph, within which there are not less than 5 spelling errors, all of which she has proven in multiple aced spelling tests that she knows how to spell.

Don't get me started on ds. banghead.gif Quit talking about it and write the damn paper, child.

So I called it at one o'clock and the kids did some swimming. But I honestly can't stand the sound of their voices anymore today. And I still need dd to read to me. ROTFLMAO.gif

At least I am back on my normal sleep schedule, so I hope to cram in a quick run before we try to see the big show dh has been at all week. Any school done over the next two weeks is gravy.

sparkle, I know I could probably research to find out, but how does hrt differ from bcp in terms of the hormones? Just wondering. I really did seem to (mostly) get my mind back (but frankly could stand to have access to some zoloft, which is too hard to get here). Anyway, I will be reading this piece you linked.

MelW, the Corniche is really gorgeous. Thanks for the reminder. I realized this morning that, right in line with other symptoms of "time to get the heck outta Dodge for a while," I am not seeing all the beautiful stuff anymore, or appreciating what's special here.

mommajb, that JCC sounds awesome. It blows my mind what people pay for health clubs here. OMG, what they pay for the beach/health club we use! And then they have to pay for classes on top of membership. It's seriously insane, esp when our Y back home cost us $65 a month for the whole family. Including some classes. Are you just looking for a place where you can lift? And I know the mirror thing. We don't have a single full-length mirror in our house. My mom has a really friendly one. I avoid looking at all the building windows here. eyesroll.gif

Going to do my bench dips on that early run tomorrow. Promise.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 AM

jo - bcp's have a higher level of hormones than hrt, and you dont have the option of what kind of hormones (synthetic or "natural" - natural being a synthetic match of your hormones. For example, in my reading it came up that the type of progesterone (progestin, also called MPA, standing for a long word you dont really need to know) is not the type you want for various reasons, so I would take prometrium, which is what your body makes. Ditto for estrogen, whose name in bcp's i cant remember, but I wanted estradiol b/c it acts differently, and then there's the timing of when you take each, in your cycle and in your life, and so on blahblah.gif

mamajb - I think perimenopause can actually start in subtle ways a lot sooner than most people account for. I just got bloodwork back from the doctor and everything is completely normal, so are my moods in fact hormone related - the only sign I have is the timing of them, which is pretty lock-step. So I think maybe our systems get more sensitive as we near it. My dear friend IRL is my age (Ill be 43 in 2 weeks) and noticing changes, and she is someone who never had/has an off day shrug.gif But I also think having older kids is more draining than younger - I am way more active with them, way more strung out trying to keep on top of all their needs/fights/melt-downs/schedules, etc. Add 2 dogs, and stick a fork in me! lol.gif

NRR : so my bloodwork shows that despite taking 800mg of vit D and taking a ton of fish oil daily, I am way low in vitamin D! wtf? So Im gong to start taking more and see if THAT helps the mood. Onward and .. onward lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM
bec

Sparkle - Do you think you could find that article about the crossfit?  I would be interested in that as a strategy and I have a good friend who would as well. 

Jo - I had to laugh at the crazy extremes of the skills that kids demonstrate at any given time.  My kids do that ALL the time.  I really try to document their brilliances thoroughly, so I can be sure I wasn't making it up when they do something on the other side of things.  And also lol.gif on the hearing of their voices.  I can relate. 

Mamajb - I have a good friend who sent her kids to a JCC for preschool and still has a membership at their gym.  She loves it.  The preschool was amazing for her kids.  But, yeah, on the pricey.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM

Bec - yeah, Ill look, I will say that the guy was barfing in the crossfit work-outs, so Im not sure what a great trade it is lol.gif

Here it is: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/running/The-Agony-and-the-Heresy.html

Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
bec

Ok, not a real fan of the puking, but I think the premise of shorter, more intense workouts is a philosophy that I could get behind.  I do, however, agree with the mental benefits of being able to just head out and run.

On that note, 7x800 repeats on the mill, for a total of 5.75 miles.  Tri class tonight.  10 minute swim timed trial, followed by a bike timed trial.  I guess it's a day for speedwork!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM

fly by update: 3 miles last night as dusk turned to evening. I was faster than than the traffic but that is not saying much.

I need to braid some hair (not mine, it will involve fussing some from me and some from her), brush some teeth (same story), go to the orthodontist (fingersx.gif I like this one and it is not as inconveniently located as I fear) and then
I am meeting plady at the beach!joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I am meeting plady at the beach!joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

joy.gif This makes my heartbeat.gif so happy! Have loads of fun, ladies!

Doc visit today. Discussed bleeding problem (over 5 weeks now. Heavy and continuous) Took blood to check hormone levels. Biopsy was normal so scary stuff is ruled out. orngbiggrin.gif He says my "cervix is dying." :headscrach Okay? And he thinks my estrogen levels are way low. Could be polyps. We'll know more when the bloodwork results are done and we meet again in 2 weeks. I'm 45 and my cycles dropped to 3 weeks about 2 or 3 years ago. So it's perimenopause but really it looks like it's the real thing - menopause. Which I guess means I'll lose my cycle in the next couple of years. Yes! Mainly, I just feel SO RELIEVED - like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. In the meantime, I have to M-A-K-E myself go outside and exercise. So tomorrow, weights and a run, though I will probably take it easy so I don't spend the rest of the weekend knocked out sleeping. Steak and wine for dinner to celebrate.

Sparkle, I'll go read that article. I don't know what any of those abbreviations y'all are throwing around mean. Yet.

Mel, Christine Northrup? I'll look for that book, too. Any other suggestions?

MommaJB, what does JCC mean? I've been to a Chipotle twice and loved it. Did you like it?

Kerc, love the swim description. Makes me want to be in water so much. I agree with what you said about the school issues. Lack of accommodation was was my number 1 reason for not putting ds1 in school. I say this as a teacher who saw all around me the results of those not being accommodated and I say this as a teacher who created an individual lesson plan for almost every single student - including going to most of their houses for a visit. Like an old-timey dr visit. Because they would not/could not come to school. I also am not sure I could've continued to put my heart and soul and mind and life into the profession after I had kids the way I did before I had kids. And knowing me, I would not have been happy doing a job that wasn't up to my previous standards. This is why I wish there were schools where you could teach part-time. Seriously. Could I have a half-day every day with half the kids and give them the above and beyond treatment? Why can't teachers share a job? One take mornings and one take afternoons? And what about even having an evening school to accomodate those parents with evening night shifts who can only hang out with their kids in the mornings when they're getting off work? I really thought by now schools might have evolved to accommodate more diversity of family needs. They are evolving; it's just too slow for my generation. I digress. I look forward to being back in the classroom.

Yikes, my hormones may be getting the better of me. blush.gif I'll go read that article now.

In other good news, I made my first batch of hummus and it is insanely delicious.

eta: okay I see menopause means after cessation of cycles. Got it now. That article is excellent, Sparkletruck, though I am only about a quarter of the way through it. It takes a lot of concentration to read and I keep getting interrupted. Onward.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM

Lofty - you describe exactly what has kept me from going back to teaching, even when the logistics could be worked out. I always think that what made it so fun was pouring myself into it, and now it would just be ... work. The reason, in fact, I'm back in school is to try to get a part-time position at the community college teaching writing when done...

on that note, I got a formal offer to TA next year. Not a huge deal, but my first paycheck in more than 10 years, free tuition and health care ... not that I need any of those practically, but psychologically it sure feels like getting some of my Self back which is gratifying (oh Self, I missed you so). meanwhile, Im terrified lol.gif

Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM

mommajb and Plady, have a lovely visit! I hope the weather cooperates too! joy.gif

lofty, I am happy you have at the very least ruled out the scary stuff.

sparkle, I read the article. I so ID with the mind-losing, self-losing part. And it is true, the kids get more demanding. Our connection with them seems more personally demanding. It does seem to me that a 5-year gig somewhere between 40-something and 50-something is a whole different ballgame than 60-something to 80s. Lots of questions, but it's a survival question. I'll be hoping for you at the sidelines.

We spent yesterday (all day) at the show dh has been working all week. Saw some VIPs, watched a crazy defense simulation show, collected swag, got a blister, met dh's boss's boss for the first time, helped clean up the mess. I'd hoped to spend an evening with dh, since I think he has to fly out today (unless he didn't get to order tickets yesterday), but he had to spend the evening with the work team again. Anyway, he was supposed to take the next 2 weeks off, but it looks like he will be out of the country for the better part of a week starting today or tomorrow. Am trying to be patient and hoping all his busy-ness brings good later. I think dh will start to feel summer looming once Mom and Dad's visit is over; he gets depressed thinking about spending summer alone, but I think he might spend summer in another country this year, anyway. If I thought dh was busy before, I am afraid we have maybe seen nothing yet. crap.gif

Today we're going out for breakfast because there's no breakfast in the house. We're watching our homeschooler friends' musical theatre production--MelW, I think you have experience with the teacher (she's from Canada) who runs these workshops? They've been rehearsing all week.

Commence school break! bouncy.gif

Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

This is why I wish there were schools where you could teach part-time. Seriously. Could I have a half-day every day with half the kids and give them the above and beyond treatment? Why can't teachers share a job? One take mornings and one take afternoons?
We have one classroom like that at R's school. I don't know if they do half days or alternate some days, but I believe they've job-shared their second-grade class since R started kindergarten. I agree, we need more job flexibility like that.

Hope you get answers about your extra-long cycle soon. That's more than anyone should have to deal with.

sparkle--congrats on the TA gig.

Too tired to post more tonight, but I'm reading along and appreciating the perimenopause discussion. I'm on the younger end 'cause I won't be 39 until June, but I was having symptoms even before I got pregnant with J.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 AM

We have three classrooms with team teaching at our school. It's easiest in the kindergarten program, but it seems to work well at the other grades, too.

"snow day" here today. Too bad it's just ice.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 AM
bec

Congrats, Sparkle on the TA gig!  I know how even just a little thing can totally change your perspective on self.  My little mall job was not a huge money maker and it didn't carry any benefits, but it had a good impact on me. 

Lofty - I hope they get to the bottom of your cycles.  And I'm glad the scary stuff has already been eliminated.

Mamajb and Plady - Have a great time!!!!  I'm so jealous!

RR: Well, we got the promised snow, and I just don't have the heart for running on the treadmill all day, so I'm going to save my long run for Sunday.  This is not ideal as I am going to be out with my two younger girls on Saturday at a dance competition.  The awards ceremony doesn't even start till 9pm, so there will be dinner out (not ideal, but will hunt up some pasta or something) and it will be exhausting wrangling them that late.  Oh, well, it is what it is.  I will make sure to sleep in on Sunday and get a bit of a later start on the run.  At least I don't have to work later that evening!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM

my leah has a job share for first grade. It works great -- each has a clearly defined role, they planned out how to do stuff like conferences, etc.  There are a few drawbacks (from the working end of things) -- the teachers both need to be there for conferences and training. So that means they each work a smidge more than 50%. In our district you can job share but only one person can draw health benefits.

but overall, I support it. I don't like her teachers less because they are a job share. (one of the teachers might be the best teacher in the school, but the other one is just average).

I'm super duper tired. I've been sleeping like crap. I (think) I bailed on a ski today because I literally feel like I ran ALL night. But in reality I was in bed early and my dh doesn't report me kicking all night.  What's the deal?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Kerc, I hope your need for extra sleep passes. I've been needing extra sleep for about 6 weeks now. I feel like I'm losing my days.

Love that some of your schools have teacher-share classes. I loved my job very much. I was so torn between staying home and working. I talked to them about a half-day job but at the time no one in the district was doing it. I'm pretty sure no one does it still. Instead, I picked up a night job teaching high school sophomores, juniors & seniors prep work for the SAT, which I also loved! Having a part-time job really helped me transition from full-time teacher to new mom. I taught the SAT up until the year we moved. I think it's great schools are doing allowing job-sharing now. Any one discover if you can job share in high school yet? Job sharing for teachers is such a great way to keep experienced teachers with good skills and brain power in the classroom.

Jo, love that you've got a hs group to hang out with. I can't believe how busy your dh is. Hope it's paying off in spades. Have fun with your mom & dad.

Sparkle, fascinating article. TA sounds great! I think about doing that next just so I can work part-time. Again, it seems a shame the only way to participate in the educational system on a part-time basis is at the college level (or K-2?). I'd love it but why not at the high school levels, too, kwim? Good luck!!

RR: No run - it's raining again, dang it! 4" rain in the last 2 weeks. In Jan, we had 5". In Dec, 7". I don't think we've had 2 days in a row without rain. As a present, we were given an overnight stay at a nearby resort. Every few days, we look up the forecast for 2 sunny days in a row. We've been looking for 2 months now without luck. Two days ago, we heard two more trees fall nearby. The ground is so saturated it's just a mosquito-breeding sanctuary. I hate to complain knowing that we might have a drought come late summer, but I'm just so over the rain.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 PM

Yep, DS's teachers last year in kindy job-shared. One taught M/W, the other T/R, and they alternated Fridays. They were fabulous, we loved them to death. I thought it was a terrible idea before he actually started school, but they worked together so well, and were both such wonderful teachers that it turned out to be a great experience.

sparkle~Congrats on the TA gig! You'll rock it, I'm sure! thumb.gif

Jealous of the mommajb/plady beach meet-up...

As for me, I've been (kind of) reading along, but drowning a little in work and life. No workouts since Monday, and I skipped today to go skiing instead. bag.gif I mean, it's kind of a workout, just not quite like running several miles. It was fun, though! orngbiggrin.gif Back to work tomorrow night for three in a row, and hoping to get the office/playroom cleaned out a little tomorrow so that the cable installer can actually get to where the cable outlet and modem are....

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 AM

sparkle, did we cross-post? Because dang, lady, you so rock. I am thrilled for you, and I have to laugh at the fact that you're terrified. You are doing fabulously, and you will be great in the role. thumb.gif So awesome. Say hi to your Self for me. blowkiss.gif

Wanted to mention and seemed to forget (surprise surprise) that I've seen in the local papers that there is a school in this country with an evening shift. And I believe it is a public school, for less fortunate locals (UAE nationals). I don't know any details, but I think the school operates on two shifts.

Dd treated me to breakfast this morning and then we met friends at the beach (friends! beach!) while the boys had a paintballing party. A great time was had by all, and then there was lunch, and then I took the car and drove for the first time in several months to a supermarket (and decided I will stick to my walking routine). I had the best intentions, but it turns out I am still crowd-averse so we came home not empty-handed but not successful, either. Bright side, I got the jitters out and am ready to drive to the airport tomorrow. 

Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM

Went swimming. I did the 100 yards and breathe routine, and it wasn't horrible. I did a total of 1100 yards, mostly with flippers. Only 400 of which with the kickboard. I am planning to be sore tomorrow. DD got in the pool with me and swam. After I was done, I told her we'd gone more than half a mile. She took that as a challenge, and finished a mile in about 45 minutes, the last 600 yards without stopping. She's rightfully proud of herself. I'm humbled.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Wow, Geo, impressive dd! Nice job, mama!

Tjsmama, so cool to hear about the team sharing! Hope the cable thing gets worked out and you make it through those shifts sans problems.

Jooj, yay for driving! And for being treated by dh!

The rain stopped for 2 days in a row! So we grabbed a gift certificate we received to a nearby resort and I got to swim today!! Woot-woot! Tomorrow, we're hitting the indoor gym AND the hiking trail AND the pool if the weather holds. fingersx.gif I am working really, really, really hard on finding a new normal which and changing my attitude seems to play a big role. I will find a new balance!

Mommajb & Plady, have you had a chance to hang out yet?

Tags
Fitness
User Tag List