Dingoes LOVE to RUN through February! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 194 Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should have been here to update. I tried to post a photo here but it was HUGE so it is on facebook. Plady and I met up on Thursday and then came back for more on Friday. My words fail me when I sit at the keyboard tonight. So very, very enjoyable. I don't want to sound too calm about it all because I was so excited before, during, and after. It was like getting together with an old friend. I recognized her as she approached our meeting point. I have been savoring our visit rather than posting. She is beautiful and her girls are adorable, inside and out. There is so much to say and yet it all comes back to enjoyable, pleasant, real, and relaxing. I hope she has as many positive feelings as I and that there will be a next time.

lofty, I hope your new normal is good for you when you find it.

sparkle, the article you posted hit a little too close to home. Perhaps it really is time to schedule a check up for myself. WooHoo for the TA gig!

geo, you and your dd are quite the swimmers.

jo, friends and beach - what a great day! See above for how I know how good that feels.

tjmama, I hope the cable install went smoothly.

bec, you are racking up the miles, inside and out.

feel better kerc.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#122 of 194 Old 02-24-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I should have been here to update. I tried to post a photo here but it was HUGE so it is on facebook. Plady and I met up on Thursday and then came back for more on Friday. My words fail me when I sit at the keyboard tonight. So very, very enjoyable. I don't want to sound too calm about it all because I was so excited before, during, and after. It was like getting together with an old friend. I recognized her as she approached our meeting point. I have been savoring our visit rather than posting. She is beautiful and her girls are adorable, inside and out. There is so much to say and yet it all comes back to enjoyable, pleasant, real, and relaxing. I hope she has as many positive feelings as I and that there will be a next time.

joy.gif and happytears.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#123 of 194 Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Hi mamas!  I've just been trying to catch up after so long away.  Here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

Kitty is home!! joy.gif We are all so relieved. After all the crazy things we discussed and tried, the drama between us all when we couldn't get anywhere or he ended up climbing higher, and the tears, too, kitty finally actually came down by himself. rolleyes.gif

This made me recall a notice that the New Yorker reposted back in the 80's (?) about a fire chief on Long Island who, at a heated community meeting regarding the department's new policy to not come out to get cats out of trees, said (paraphrasing) "Show me the skeletons in the trees and we'll reverse our policy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Endometrial biopsy came back normal! joy.gif

That's great, and explains the sleeping!  Yikes though!  I don't know anything but I think I'd be researching endometrial ablation.  And Christiane Northrup is one of (big) Alison's go-to resources for good health info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

MDC is crazy. If I'm not signed it, every item of clothing mentioned in the thread (and there are many) is linked to an online shopping site. Once I log in, it no longer looks like Plady and mommajb are spamming us. headscratch.gif

Sorry!  Curious though how it looks like we're spammers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

MelW, the Corniche is really gorgeous. Thanks for the reminder. I realized this morning that, right in line with other symptoms of "time to get the heck outta Dodge for a while," I am not seeing all the beautiful stuff anymore, or appreciating what's special here.

When we first moved to SMA I used to say that we'd know it was time to leave when the view from our roof no longer took our breath away every time.

Turned out to be pretty accurate.

Quote:

That article is excellent, Sparkletruck, though I am only about a quarter of the way through it. It takes a lot of concentration to read and I keep getting interrupted. Onward.

I'm going to have to read that too.  I'd kind of like to retain my blissful ignorance a little longer but gotta keep up with the convo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

on that note, I got a formal offer to TA next year. Not a huge deal, but my first paycheck in more than 10 years, free tuition and health care ... not that I need any of those practically, but psychologically it sure feels like getting some of my Self back which is gratifying (oh Self, I missed you so). meanwhile, Im terrified lol.gif

Yay!  Welcome back Self!  I'm sure that reunion will feel so good you'll forget to be terrified!

Quote:

Today we're going out for breakfast because there's no breakfast in the house. We're watching our homeschooler friends' musical theatre production--MelW, I think you have experience with the teacher (she's from Canada) who runs these workshops? They've been rehearsing all week.

Cool!

Quote:

Wanted to mention and seemed to forget (surprise surprise) that I've seen in the local papers that there is a school in this country with an evening shift. And I believe it is a public school, for less fortunate locals (UAE nationals). I don't know any details, but I think the school operates on two shifts.

In Mexico there were at least two school shifts per day in the public schools.  One went around 7:30am-1:30 and then the later started at about 2:00-8:00.  I'm not entirely sure but it seemed like the younger kids were mainly the morning crowd and the older kids were the later shift.

Quote:

What she said, totally!  It was so so nice to just be together.  It was so fun to see our girls (and eventually her boy too) just jump into playing together like they'd known each other just as long.  The only hard thing was that it still felt like we had so little time!  I kicked myself for not suggesting that you all just came on along to Coronado after Todai when it became obvious that it was a totally quick trip, plenty of beach parking and whatnot. duh.gif  I've got some pix to post, let me know if you'd prefer I don't post the little ones here. 

Quote:

joy.gif and happytears.gif

Completely!

So yes, hanging with Mommajb was definitely the highlight for me.  It was nice to see cousins and interesting to see my more bizarre relatives but really the best part was my dingo time.  It was fun to just be with the girls too.  They were good travelers and overall very cooperative and cheerful.  We are going to have a serious detox ahead of us now though.  As Mommajb can attest we were firmly off wagon this week.  I usually think of my youngest as the real sugar seeker in the family but this week I got some worrisome glimpses of how little willpower my eldest has.  Every time she had the opportunity to serve herself her portion size was way out of line with her size (Mommajb, remember your frozen yogurt guidline of size-of-fist?  We actually used that in Coronado and still she came away with an absolutely unbelievable portion of yogurt and toppings as I was busy guiding Ali G's portion dizzy.gif).  Of course dh and I are on the hook for taking them to all-you-can-eat buffets bag.gif (it's all about the sushi for us but clearly that hasn't completely translated) so some retraining and specification is in order.  And I'm going to have to figure out the right words to say, "You're chubby honey" without traumatizing the girl.  But truly, she really managed to pack it on and dh was rather alarmed when the girls got home to see how round they'd both become - he wisely said nothing about me to me though I'm sure he could have.  Happily c said she'd like to do a 100 push up challenge so I'll try to build on that ambition to get fitter all around with her.

So, back to normal in the New House of No.  Another thing Mommajb mentioned that has me thinking was an egg allergy/rash connection.  Ali G has had a rash around her mouth for quite a while that I've chalked off to sleeve sucking and general 5 yo hygiene but noticed it cleared up a bit while we were on our trip (and not eating so many eggs).  Always something new to consider!

All this talk of swimming is making me want to get to the pool and actually get in it as opposed me just watching it.  Geo, have you checked out the Total Immersion stuff?  I find that the way they talk about form makes good sense and has answered lots of questions I've had over the years.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#124 of 194 Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM

I'll start with that, but I've got some cute kid pix when I get the go-ahead!

#125 of 194 Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM

love.giflove.giflove.giflove.giflove.gifI LOVE THE PICTURE!! BEAUTIFUL!

So happy to hear you dingos got to visit.

Plady, I'm So Glad to hear that Northrup was Alison's go-to book. That confirms it. I'll but it asap.

And Total Immersion is my favorite swimming book. I love that book. I go to it continually. I use it for the explanations with the boys. I just love the visual comparisons he gives. It helps me to imagine those images when I'm in the water. Which....

RR: was again this morning and I'm about to be again! Woot-Woot! I also lifted weights AND I got on the dreadmill. Yikes, it's been Y-e-a-r-s since I was on one of those. I can't believe I used to run 6 miles at a time on it. Blagh. Not fun. So it was short but then the water was calling.

Geo, check out the Total Immersion book. There's also a website and I subscribe to the newsletters with the hopes that there will be a workshop one day near me. I'm thinking the scientific explanations might appeal to you.

Hope you have a great day, Dingos. We are having our FIRST 2 days of sunshine, no rain, in a row! It ends tonight, though, so I'm glad to be out as much as possible.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#126 of 194 Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Mamajb and Plady - orngbiggrin.gif so beautiful, and so happy for the time together. sounds like what you both/we all need/ed.

Lofty - have you checked your iron? I wonder if that has anything to do with the fatigue?...

...on that note, I've started taking more vit. D3, and after reading around to figure out how much I want to take, it strikes me that my deficiency *might* have something to do with, well, many things. The RDA (totally out of touch, IMO) recommends that your levels be btwn. 25-50, most holistic docs, say more, or way more, like 50-80. When I got out of the hospital/convalescing for 2 months after pneumonia, mine was at 33, which I thought was too low for my taste. It's now at 22. I'd like to be around 60. Anyway, I'll be curious to see if/what it does for mood (and general well-being). I also wonder, for all of you having fatigue/doldrums/etc., it woudl make sense that after several months of winter, we'd all be pretty low. shrug.gif Vit D3 (the version you want) is $10 for 600 pills at Costco ...

I know, I'm sick of hearing myself talk about all of it too lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#127 of 194 Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Go ahead and post - I can't wait to see them.

Paddling done, choir concert done, and ds1's volunteer gig is almost done. As soon as he is home I am underwear shopping with the girls. What a way to spend the afternoon. eyesroll.gif A and H have both outgrown things. A had a good excuse but H... She worries me and I think I am going to have to figure out how to ask for more help helping her.

I went paddling dressed to run but helped carry boats, etc instead. When the shopping is done I will do a round of haircuts and go for a run (at dusk hopefully, I've had my share of sun for the day). As I work my way through this very exciting Sunday I am scheming and planning: How can I send dh and the kids away and host a dingo meet up here? I've got space and beds and sunshine. Perhaps they should go visit his parents for the holidays and we should all converge here. I doubt he would go for it but a girl can dream.

#128 of 194 Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
bec

Reading along.  Enchanted by the dingo meetup.  It's always magical hearing about one.  love.gif

RR: 17 miles today!  4 with DH (who was kind of gimpy and we walked most of it, rather than injure him), 5 with my 9 year old, 4 with the dog, and the rest on my own!  It was beautiful weather, sunny and dry roads.  I'm so glad I waited and didn't try to tough it out on Friday.  31 miles for the week!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#129 of 194 Old 02-24-2013, 07:29 PM

sparkle, even here, I take D3 when I am not getting out into the sun to my liking. I know this one makes a difference for me. I am sure there is a personal setting for a best level, but I think for me, more is better.

also, ROTFLMAO.gifabout cat skeletons in trees.

They are here! We finally made it home around 11 last night. They had a delay (which I did know about and delayed my pickup time) but it wasn't bad. We were in bed by 1-something, and now they are still sleeping. I am not sure when I should wake them, probably will let them sleep until as late as 9, so they can get over jetlag. Dh called and is quite ill, high fever etc. but saw a doc and should be better by the time he gets home.

Plan for today is to just take it chill. No driving.

#130 of 194 Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM

1000 yds in the pool, no flippers, only the first 200 with the kickboard. 29:45 including the 15 breath break every 100 yards.

My department if flipping crazy.

I know the dingos have the "and a half" rule for when kids go through phases that drive us crazy, but I'm wondering if we just came out the other side of something similar? DS has been a total space cadet since 2nd grade started, and his teacher started making noises about things like ADHD. If his executive skills weren't so NOT ADHD until 2nd grade started, we would have agreed. Then three weeks ago *poof* we have DS back. Almost over night, he's back to the way he was before. Reading took a huge leap in January in both ability and speed, and I'm mostly thinking that something about reading finally crystallized in his brain, and now 2nd grade is just all around easy now? Anyone seen something similar with such a cognitive shift? DH discovered tonight while playing catch that DS can catch a ball now, too. It was iffy before, particularly something like a baseball.
#131 of 194 Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM
bec

Geo - Yes!  Emily has been having a pretty big cognitive leap, and we have definitely see things lagging in other areas (losing all manner of things, including track of conversations, being much more the absent minded professor, cluttered, messy areas).  I'm waiting for her to come back to herself!  She's usually the family finder of things, and we have several missing items that I NEED her for! LOL. 

#132 of 194 Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Geo--R's done that a number of times for cognitive stuff and even violin. I remember her struggling for a month trying to learn one of the rhythmic patterns in Suzuki when she began, and poof, there it was. J seems to be going through the month-before-the-birthday phase and a developmental/cognitive phase currently. (Good times, that!) Enjoy the lull, right?

RR: 15 miles on the treadmill yesterday because we had a nasty winter storm come through. (ugh!) I spent the first two hours watching Bowling for Columbine, which I've been wanting to get through for a while. (How inspiring for running 15 miles!) Then a podcast and finally I was done. Today I should run 4 miles, but I still have this cold. Either I'll make it up later this week or I won't.

It would have been better to fit the 15 miles in on Saturday, but we had science fair in the morning and I had to take R to a Girl Scout cookie both (the last!) late in the afternoon and didn't even try. Had the cold then too. It's mostly on its way out, but I've had a headache most of the day and my asthma is not pleased.

In good news, R received full marks for her science fair project, hooray! Maybe it's a good omen. Sunday featured an hour+ throwdown with R over changing one sentence in her book journal. The sentence? "The thing I found surprising was that the joke book had a table of contents." banghead.gif So an hour of screaming later, she calmed down. J, who slept through that, made up for lost time in ways that only an almost-3-year-old can in the evening and didn't go to bed until 10:30 that night.

Why oh why oh why am I taking them to Disneyland? Please tell me that flying solo with them will go well, that we will calmly and without drama proceed from the plane at LAX to the shuttle and calmly from the shuttle to the hotel. I'm having visions of non-stop screaming from the time I try to get the bus to the airport from one or the other, culminating in me in a fetal position, rocking and catatonic.

/melodrama J should have mellowed by then. And I'll have had a child-free weekend at the AMS/SEM regional conference the weekend before, which, while stressful, might actually be a nice break.

Question for the Dingos: I'm still nursing J anywhere between 3-8 times a day and sometimes overnight (despite my attempts to nightwean). If I fly out Friday morning and return late on Saturday, will I need to pump or will my body just deal with it? I'm thinking the latter, but I've never been away from the kids.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#133 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 AM

DS did that for 6 months, though. It was actually long enough to have scored out as ADHD had we tested for it.
#134 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 AM
bec

Sparkle - I am guessing that your body will just deal.  I'm betting that a lot of J's nursing is comfort and not terribly productive.

#135 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

Question for the Dingos: I'm still nursing J anywhere between 3-8 times a day and sometimes overnight (despite my attempts to nightwean). If I fly out Friday morning and return late on Saturday, will I need to pump or will my body just deal with it? I'm thinking the latter, but I've never been away from the kids.

I think that you might get a little pressure-y feeling if you stop for that long, but nothing you couldn't hand express if it gets uncomfortable.

The trip will probably go great! It's just that constant threat of potential disaster that has us moms on edge before traveling with kids. I think it will be fun. The thought of changing planes, getting to hotels, etc., practically gives me a migraine with worry, but it generally turns out fine.

And 15 miles on the TM? bow.gif

And bec! Your mileage is way up there!

Lofty - I have not read the T.I. book but have spent some time on their website. That's an excellent resource! I also used the Swim Smooth site, and I find that their videos on youtube are helpful, too.

Geo - How cool for your DS!! Crystallize, good word for it.

Jo - have a wonderful visit!!

So work has been busy - not too much RR. I did a 5k with DH and DD1 on Saturday in the pouring rain. It was a fundraiser or I would have backed out of it! We thought it would clear up by the time the race started, but that did not happen. Plus, all the rain from the night before had turned the starting/finishing field into a huge, ankle-deep lake, the pathways through the park where we ran were underwater in areas- it was nuts. Once we got started and I reconciled myself to being completely soaked, the rest was fun! DD and I ran together and we had a blast. DH, OTOH, was not amused and quite crabby after the race. Luckily, Sunday's weather more than made up for Saturday's deluge. DH had a 5k Sunday and ran a PR, so that made it all better.

NRR - Book club last night. I love reading and talking about books, meeting with some friends once a month, it's so fun. I did find myself feeling irritated by one of my friends. I am working on that and trying to be zen about it, but it always bothers me that she has to draw the attention of the group to herself again and again. I find it hard to be polite and just go with the flow, I tend to somehow try to *not* give her the attention she seeks. And really, she's a friend who I enjoy a lot in other situations, just in these group settings, she has the need draw lots of attention. I wonder why that makes me feel so defensive? Group dynamics have always been hard for me.eyesroll.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#136 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 AM

Geo, crystallize - that's it. It took me a while to learn this is the way my son learns. I've observed a pattern of delay, delay, delay (worry and investigation by me) delay, delay, delay by him and then poof! Crystallization. Now, I just try really hard to remember his mode of learning and know he'll get there, just not at the pace I like: step 1, step 2, step 3, etc. Fortunately, it is only ds1 who learns this way. Ds2 follows the easiest mode of teaching which is breaking step by step, altogether now.

Fighting depression here. I think. Last night's animated Texas-centric conversation (and disagreement) with a (very smart, educated & conservative) friend about how Texas really has the best in everything - colleges, money, places to live really got to me. I'm not sure why I let myself get drawn into that one! After I mentioned something about hoping my kids can get some of their education (preferably college) outside of Texas (and I mentioned the Northeast as one option) she asked me, indignantly, why I didn't just move already? Which then made me defensive. I like raising my kids here - I'd just like them to get an education that's ... bigger than Texas? It's not really about Texas at all; it's about perspective, exposures to other points of view, something more global, broader... Why does this conversation have to evolve devolve into being about Texas? Aaargh.

Mel, that's hard. I know just what you're talking about. I feel like I've been both the irritated one and I've even wondered if I've been the one at times to draw attention. Embarrassing to admit. I don't know this. But is she always that way? Is she new? Does she need friends? Is she so impressed by the rest of you that she feels the need to impress, too? IDK. Could be none of those things. What are you reading?

Yesterday was crazy. Sick child. Schooled anyway but not efficiently. Watched other kids. Cooked all day. No exercise, in other words which is NOT GOOD for me (yelling at myself). Well, I did yoga, but I'm still not doing a good job of MAKING myself lift weights or run. Yet. Will try again today but I've got to take them to SFA for music lessons - which is an all day thing. Sigh. I can't tell if I'm making life harder for myself or if these are normal February doldrums.

Real, can you tell if it's a lot of nursing each time or if it's more comfort and not much milk? I think my ds2 was almost 3 or had just turned 3 when I left him for the first time for a long weekend. I think he was barely nursing then, though, so I'm not sure if that helps.

#137 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 AM
bec

Coming back to report 3x1600 on the mill.  It was hard, but not too hard.  Definitely out of my comfort zone, but not throwing up, hard.  I think I have discovered that I like speedwork on the treadmill most, as opposed to outside.  I feel like I can control the variables a bit more, and make it about the speed, instead of having to fight my determination to go faster.  I find pacing to be easier, if I just say, I am doing this at this speed.  I have a hard time controlling that outside.  Also, I don't have to fight the terrain, so another variable thrown out.  Also, it's cold, windy, and about to snow/blizzard at any second!

I meant to add a bow.gif for the 15 miles on the mill, Real!  You are a better woman than I!

Mel - I also worry sometimes that I am the attention seeking one in a group.  I don't know why, but I sometimes feel like I have an idea to say, and I want to get it out before someone else beats me to it.  I've been working on it.  I never really realized that I was doing it, though, until a good friend pointed it out.  It was very hard to hear, though, and took me some time to come back from that.  I like to think that I have good things to add, but maybe others didn't want to hear them?  I don't know. It's something that is still a bit of a mystery to me, and something that I do struggle with at times.  Although, I have also witnessed those that are kind of over the top with it, and rather than attention seeking are more controlling of a group conversation.  That is tough and irritating too.  I think group dynamics are hard, and they tend to confound me. 

Lofty - I hear your frustration. For me, I don't have a lot of patience for very insular (provincial?) attitudes.  The whole, "I have spent my whole life here, and it is the best.  Why would you want to leave..." conversation is often very tiring for me.  I, too, like to see a lot of different viewpoints, whether I agree with them or not.  My husband tends to be a very black and white kind of guy (although very intelligent and well spoken).  It aggravates me at times, when he clearly believes that if you don't follow his line of thinking to his conclusions, your thinking must be wrong.  I tend to not see eye to eye with most people politically (being more of a libertarian bent than anything else), so I have found that it is best to not discuss it over much with people that I know are passionate about their views. 

#138 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 AM

I got a nice run in last night though I had to leave dh behind at his insistence - his ankle was bothering him and... he thinks he is holding me back. I would rather have the partner than the faster pace right now. I like the run but have trouble motivating out the door.

I am so motivated to be a better me, just re-energized and lifted up after plady's visit. I don't feel so alone in the world.

15 miles on the dreadmill?! I agree that speed work can be easier inside as I have never spent much time on a track with a coach but long runs on the mill? bow.gif Way to get it done!

Lofty, I identify with so much of what you write - Parallel lives across the miles in many ways.

mel, the trick is just deciding not to worry about the rain, isn't it? It is a great example of a time when we can choose to be miserable or not. Pain is temporary, coffee and a hot shower will be there for when I get home. Unless Alice has showered and then I'll have to drink coffee until my stomach is upset, drive somebody somewhere, and then take a shower when the water heater is fully recovered.

real, I would plan to pump and dump just to reduce the risk of discomfort and infection if she is nursing that often. Manual expression if you are comfortable with it and don't have a portable pump would do the trick.

A word about childhood roundness: I worry (too much) about Helen. If I think back to dd1 and/or listen to my mom and friends it is somewhat common at this age for girls to round out before shooting up and growing curves of a better sort. I think the happy spot might be to lose the worry, keep the concern, and focus on teaching life skills for health. When I coached Girls on the Run the dietician we had talk to them talked about 1 treat or not-so-great choice per day. When she gave the talk it sounded like a lot to me (really? I can have tiramisu daily?) but in real life Alice has to say "no thank you" many times a day to keep it down to one serving (portion control) of chips/candy/cupcake/frozen yogurt/donut/cookie/baguette and brie for morning snack from the snack stand at school, etc. Add in daily movement, good sleep habits, and spending time with people that lift us up rather than tear us down and maybe we would all feel better?

#139 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
 It's not really about Texas at all; it's about perspective, exposures to other points of view, something more global, broader...

I sooooo agree with this. We just talked about that very thing - wanting to appreciate where we live and yet recognize that it's a huge world out there, and so many paths to happiness.

That being said, I can't wait to visit Texas this fall :-)

Bec, when you are doing speedwork on the TM, do you program it in advance? Or do you manage to hit the buttons as you are running?

On the topic of group dynamics, more than anything, I am trying to focus on my (probably extreme) reaction to situations like this. I would never, ever, ever approach her and try to change her. It is also part of what makes her so engaging and charismatic. Bec, I hope the friend who talked to you was totally nice about it, because don't we all have some flaws? I would feel that any commentary on her behavior would reflect equally on my own insecurities, I think.

Anyway, next book club selection is Last Exit to Brooklyn. We just read The Bone People by Keri Hulme. Whew, good book, but quite an emotional one.

Mommajb, I just cross-posted with you. love.gif I love what you said about Plady. I've never met her, but she sounds so amazing. loveeyes.gif

ITA with your wise words on kids' body shapes and making good food/lifestyle choices. Lose the worry, keep the concern - I love that!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#140 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

My department if flipping crazy.

I know the dingos have the "and a half" rule for when kids go through phases that drive us crazy, but I'm wondering if we just came out the other side of something similar? DS has been a total space cadet since 2nd grade started, and his teacher started making noises about things like ADHD. If his executive skills weren't so NOT ADHD until 2nd grade started, we would have agreed. Then three weeks ago *poof* we have DS back. Almost over night, he's back to the way he was before. Reading took a huge leap in January in both ability and speed, and I'm mostly thinking that something about reading finally crystallized in his brain, and now 2nd grade is just all around easy now? Anyone seen something similar with such a cognitive shift? DH discovered tonight while playing catch that DS can catch a ball now, too. It was iffy before, particularly something like a baseball.

a. yes, mine is too.

b. very cool. and FWIW Leah Lu had a similar a-ha moment recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

I bet your body could just deal with it. But if you don't bring a pump, then you'll regret. It's one of those catch 22s.

Quote:

Geo, crystallize - that's it. It took me a while to learn this is the way my son learns. I've observed a pattern of delay, delay, delay (worry and investigation by me) delay, delay, delay by him and then poof! Crystallization. Now, I just try really hard to remember his mode of learning and know he'll get there, just not at the pace I like: step 1, step 2, step 3, etc. Fortunately, it is only ds1 who learns this way. Ds2 follows the easiest mode of teaching which is breaking step by step, altogether now.

Fighting depression here. I think. Last night's animated Texas-centric conversation (and disagreement) with a (very smart, educated & conservative) friend about how Texas really has the best in everything - colleges, money, places to live really got to me. I'm not sure why I let myself get drawn into that one! After I mentioned something about hoping my kids can get some of their education (preferably college) outside of Texas (and I mentioned the Northeast as one option) she asked me, indignantly, why I didn't just move already? Which then made me defensive. I like raising my kids here - I'd just like them to get an education that's ... bigger than Texas? It's not really about Texas at all; it's about perspective, exposures to other points of view, something more global, broader... Why does this conversation have to evolve devolve into being about Texas? Aaargh.

A. is it any surprise that our resident expert in minerals used the word "crystallize" ?  LOL.

B.  On the education in Texas, why Texas is so awesome, etc.  My feeling is there are good schools in Texas. especially universities. But there are also good schools elsewhere and if I really want my children to LOVE Texas*, then I need for them to go elsewhere to gain perspective and understand how awesome Texas is. That said, if Small Liberal Arts College in Texas accepts them and offers us enough $ to send them, and they want to go, yep they'll go.

*insert Minnesota to apply to my life.

(p.s. Lofty your boys will never meet and fall in love with my girls if they go to college in Texas. Because I don't see my kids going to college where it doesn't snow -- that's what they told me this weekend).

Quote:

in real life Alice has to say "no thank you" many times a day to keep it down to one serving (portion control) of chips/candy/cupcake/frozen yogurt/donut/cookie/baguette and brie for morning snack from the snack stand at school, etc. Add in daily movement, good sleep habits, and spending time with people that lift us up rather than tear us down and maybe we would all feel better?

WHAT?!  Gah. No wonder people around us are so crabby. My kids get fresh fruit or veggies for a snack every day. On "junk food friday" (don't get me going), I will send along a miniature candy bar or a granola bar with chocolate in it. I mean if people fed themselves all the crap they feed their kids, then we as adults would all feel terrible. .....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#141 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 AM

MI.am.so.behind. A few random responses:

Plady, it looks like you're spamming us with links to various products. When not signed into MDC, multiple words in your posts (mostly items of clothing) are linked to various online sites selling said items of clothing. Log out and have a look- it's pretty remarkable...

jo, the musical theater teacher is from here- my oldest did a workshop with her in October and loved it. Our school does six weeks of classes (3 days a week), then has a "compass week" to end the learning cycle, meet with the teacher to plan for the upcoming learning cycle and offers a bunch of workshops for the kids both at the school and in the community. This time she attended an outdoor education workshop that played various nature-inspired tag and hide and seek games, along with wild food identification and eating. The highlight was eating ants. Some parents were totally horrified, my oldest chose not to participate in the ant eating (though happily tried all the other wild edibles) and my youngest was thrilled to try an ant, though not impressed with the sourness.

real, I'm giggling about the table of contents sentence. I'm sure it wasn't quite as amusing at the time. My oldest constantly quotes information from "non-fiction" books about fairies and dragons from the library. We have agreed to disagree on the truth of these books- yes they are in the non-fiction section at the library, no mum does not agree that this means they are entirely scientifically factual.

mommajb, I am disappointed by how often kids are offered treats in their lives. And frankly, as grown-ups, too- does every mundane occasion (staff meeting, education session, open house, etc. etc.) need to be celebrated with sweets and junk food? My oldest's kindergarten teacher had a huge candy "reward" bag, and I'm very grateful that both our current school and preschool are pretty low on the food as reward/treat/celebration scale. Preschool used to do fruit juice popsicles for birthday until last year when my daughter was on strict allergy patrol and the teacher made her an "ice crystal popscicle" as a replacement treat. All of the other kids were jealous, and now they all celebrate birthdays with "ice crystal popscicles". It's pretty funny to watch a roomful of 3-5 year olds get very excited about ice.

My week-ish worth of news:

Husband came home from Ireland last Thursday, and we're adjusting to the new rhythm of him being home (read: less evening computer/MDC time for me, since that would be kind of antisocial)

Taught (mostly observed) my first prenatal class on Saturday, which looks like a fun job.

Worked a night shift at the hospital Sunday

Yesterday after I woke up from my morning "nap" we planned to go to make photocopies at the college and then take the kids to the park, but partway into town my car started making a horrible noise. I drove straight to my mechanic, then walked to the park. While waiting to hear we decided to take the bus back to our town to get my husband's car, but had a call that all was well and fixed (gravel got up around the abs system and was easily cleared out- big relief!). The kids were so disappointed that my husband ended up taking them home on the bus while I picked up the car and went home to work to make the copies. This vaguely relates to the sense of place being "the best"- I really want my kids to see and know so much more than our small town offers. I'm glad that they probably know more about edible plants than most city-raised kids, but they rarely get to ride a bus and still think escalators and elevators are thrilling. Not to mention the "smallness" of all of the arts, culture and sporting opportunities here.

RR- I've been running! Twice so far this week and I have my running gear at the office with me for a lunch time run today. My legs feel tired after a slow 5k slog, but I'm starting to build a base again and hopefully start to shape up after a pretty inactive winter. My jeans being a bit snug is adding to my motivation.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#142 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM

Kerc, bahahaha, I laughed till I had tears in the corners of my eyes! You're right! On so very many counts!! Deep sigh, I need to go visit you. When is your spring break? That's fantasy talking.

Bec, that thing you said about different perspectives, black & white, and your husband described my convo this morning with him. I can't tell you how good it feels to know I'm not crazy for feeling that way. That really calmed me. Thank you.

I am sitting in a coffee shop adjacent to a local university and I just can.not. describe how different I feel just being here, out, in crowds, in this setting. I think I need people more than my dh does. I am just too isolated for my own good. Seriously, this must be what taking an upper feels like; I feel that much better. It helps that they're playing really old Bob Marley & Annie Lenox songs that take me back to college.

I love you ladies.Thanks for listening to my emotional roller coaster complaints.

Oh and Mel, that book, Bone People, still haunts me to this day. Excellent book, although disturbing. I haven't read Last Exit to Brooklyn. Would love to know if you recommend it or not.

#143 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Reading along, haven't taken time to post lately, sorry, but still been thinking of you all.

I take 5,000 D3 per day and was still on the low side on the fall (which means the time I spend a LOT of time outside)?? So who knows. I also take 4.5g fish oil a day and notice if I miss a few days.

I've officially signed up for the fall marathon! (I might have already posted that?).

RR: 7 mile tempo run today, middle 5 at 7:01. Challenging probably due to skipping lunch yesterday, having a piece of cake, and also skipping my run yesterday to clean and bake said cake. Yet-pushed through it and got it done.

Okay, kids are banned from electronics due to messes they leave out, so they are interrupting me tons. Lol. Bbl
#144 of 194 Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Lofty - Bone People; I luxlove.gif -ed that book. I also loved The Imperfectionists (favorite book last year) and this year I loved The Sense of an Ending. And State of Wonder really surprised me - it started cliche, borderline airport lit. (I thought) and by the end was so rich and nuanced. And I totally agree about p.o.v. I was a big Bay Area snob (hello! best food, best culture, best education easy access to wilderness lol.gifdisappointed.gif), but feel like I've learned half of what I know about Life since I left 12 years ago. Imagine what I might have learned if I left sooner wink1.gif

NRR: I have so much work to do, I dont know what Im doing here. I just needed to bond over the Bone People lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#145 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Lofty - Bone People; I luxlove.gif -ed that book. I also loved The Imperfectionists (favorite book last year) and this year I loved The Sense of an Ending. And State of Wonder really surprised me - it started cliche, borderline airport lit. (I thought) and by the end was so rich and nuanced. And I totally agree about p.o.v. I was a big Bay Area snob (hello! best food, best culture, best education easy access to wilderness lol.gifdisappointed.gif), but feel like I've learned half of what I know about Life since I left 12 years ago. Imagine what I might have learned if I left sooner wink1.gif

NRR: I have so much work to do, I dont know what Im doing here. I just needed to bond over the Bone People lol.gif

I loved The Sense of an Ending, too!

The Bone People: yes, Lofty, haunting. So glad to hear how uplifting the coffee shop atmosphere is love.gif

MelW: Yay for running!! And yay for an easy car fix, too. Small-ness also makes it possible to walk from the repair shop to the park, but it would be nice to have a nearby bigger city to visit for events or special outings. We like to visit my brother in DC for city things, museums, concerts, the zoo, etc. Are you close to any big(ger) cities?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#146 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Mommajb, I just cross-posted with you. love.gif I love what you said about Plady. I've never met her, but she sounds so amazing. loveeyes.gif

innocent.gif Gosh you guys!  I had the same feeling, and I was still riding high from seeing Lofty and Sparkletruck so recently.  I think Dingo meetups are a Necessity.  It's like a sweet reality check.

And I know that lady - the one who can't just listen or not know something amazing in a group?  Sadly the one I know is usually like that one on one too so I've found ways to avoid crossing her path.  The other couple I like to avoid is the one that speaks extra loudly in a baby voice to their kids in public and repeats everything their kids say so that we all get the benefit of their wise little minds. banghead.gif 

Bec - I just can't picture my lady with your face. 

Lofty - Um, yeah, I think you might need people more than your dh.  In the same way that the polar bears need the ice cap more than, say, a toucan does.  grouphug.gif 

MelW - logout??!!  bigeyes.gif 

I'm taking notes on books  to read.  When I'll get the chance to start I have no idea.  But at least I'll have a goal. 

RR: Nope.  Yesterday I woke up coughing and snotty so instead of going to boxing I went back to bed!  That never happens but I think it helped.  I've still mostly lost my voice though and sound like Marge Simpson's sisters.. 

NRR: I had a nice surprise when I went out to check on chicken life yesterday.  There were three eggs - the first in months! And better still, a dead weasel!  I couldn't tell who had killed it.  It looked lightly mouthed but not gnawed.  Anyway I was very happy to see it dead although I'm sure it's only one of many.  I hung it up in the pen on the off-chance that its friends will be grossed out and go mess with someone else's chickens.

#147 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Lofty - Um, yeah, I think you might need people more than your dh.  In the same way that the polar bears need the ice cap more than, say, a toucan does.   

Where's that laughing so hard I spit my coffee all over my keyboard and my coworker came to find out what was so funny.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#148 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Where's that laughing so hard I spit my coffee all over my keyboard and my coworker came to find out what was so funny.

My next door neighbor, too!  He assumed I was eating popcorn and reading the faculty e-list, which has heated up in all its dysfunctional splendor.

I'll be saving lofty's line for sure.

I will swim again this afternoon.  My response to 30 minutes of swimming is comparable to the first several 2 hour runs I ever did:  I come home and fall straight to sleep.

#149 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

MelW - logout??!!  bigeyes.gif  

biglaugh.gif

Books: ...and Juno Diaz! Oscar Wao was my favorite that year, and I look forward to This Is How You Leave Her.... I luxlove.gif books

#150 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM
bec

love.gif  I love you guys.  I love that I can be totally myself, without worry.

With that said, 1500 yards in the pool. 

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page