Dingoes LOVE to RUN through February! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RR: supposed to be 4 miles but I missed Monday's run so I added 2 more for a 6 miler. Right shin bugging me but I just kept blocking it out. Would be great to be able to heal by shear will!!!

NRR: roller skating for 90 minutes with my boys tonight. smile.gif. Woot!

How do you combat middle night hunger?? I am on point with daytime eating, healthy and plenty of good calories (skip one day this week) Also eat right before bed to store up. I try drinking plenty of water and waiting for it to go away but it usually doesn't. So...I eat and am finally able to go back to sleep. Input?
#152 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Geo- how is your ITB?
#153 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Geo- how is your ITB?
#154 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

How do you combat middle night hunger?? I am on point with daytime eating, healthy and plenty of good calories (skip one day this week) Also eat right before bed to store up. I try drinking plenty of water and waiting for it to go away but it usually doesn't. So...I eat and am finally able to go back to sleep. Input?

When that happens on a regular basis i eat either a handful of almonds or a piece of peanut butter toast before going to bed.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#155 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

Geo- how is your ITB?

Noted all the discussion of swimming?

I can run 5-10 steps at a time.  Otherwise it pulls me up short.  I'm struggling to get into my doctor at the moment, which is needed for a referral for PT.  I'm doing everything that google tells me to do, and it's just not getting better.

#156 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

MelW: Yay for running!! And yay for an easy car fix, too. Small-ness also makes it possible to walk from the repair shop to the park, but it would be nice to have a nearby bigger city to visit for events or special outings. We like to visit my brother in DC for city things, museums, concerts, the zoo, etc. Are you close to any big(ger) cities?

We're about a 3 hour drive to Victoria, or a 1.5 hour drive plus 1.5 hour ferry (plus waits, traffic, etc.) to Vancouver. Though I've done both as day trips, they really deserve an overnight to not be totally exhausted. We make a few trips a year to visit friends/family, for medical appointments and throw in some city things (shopping, museums, etc.) at the same time. One of these days I'm going to arrange a meet-up with Plady in Victoria, especially since I keep hearing about how amazing she is!!!

Other small town perks: there have been photos of my oldest daughter in the newspaper twice this month- once in a feature about her school and yesterday a photo of her fiddle group.

I'm making notes about books- I've been in a reading lull for a few months, but a friend just sent me Born to Run and Down & Delirious in Mexico City. I think she's secretly plotting to get me hooked for a trip to Mexico with her.

RM, I sometimes do a smoothie with protein powder to fight mid-night hunger. It happened a lot when BFing, and occasionally again now as I come off night shifts and haven't eaten enough during the day because of nap-time.

Geo, I hope you get your physio referral and some healing soon.

And to everyone putting up big mileage right now- you're impressing and inspiring me. I did run yesterday, making it three runs this week. Today is less sore than after the first two, so we'll call it progress. I was also discharged from the chiropractor for my car accident injury yesterday. I can do pushups again and feel like the rock climbing kept my upper body strength decent through the injury.

In grad school news, I got acceptance to my second choice program last week (I actually had checked online and knew for a week before that, but the "official" acceptance came last week). My first choice program extended their application deadline to Feb 14th, so I emailed yesterday to ask if they could give me an estimate for acceptance/rejection to help my planning since I have a mid-March deadline to confirm with choice #2. While I fully expected a vague official reply, they got back right away and promised to "expedite" my application and let me know within a week. I'm hoping that this is a good thing, or that they are making all decisions this week already...

For those of you with girls, do you have advice for where I could buy durable casual boots online? My oldest has outgrown her favourite boots and is too big for a lot of the kids' companies we have used in the past. She's a 3 in girls, 5 in womens (or 35 European). This means half a size smaller than me, but I don't want to pay $$$ for women's boots if I can avoid it. She's really tough on shoes- her current pair of Pedipeds have been resoled once and reglued another. I found some cool boots on umi, but not in her size. She likes "rocker" styles, for lack of a better word. Another idea was blundstones, which I hesitate because I've tried them on several times over the years and they're all too wide for my foot. Her feet are a bit wider than mine, though. Other places to look? (US only is okay, because I have a po box I can have them shipped to and picked up for me).

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#157 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

For those of you with girls, do you have advice for where I could buy durable casual boots online?

I found some Clarks Muckers zip up boots for my 11-yo DD who is a ladies size 6. Maybe they have size 5 somewhere online?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#158 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM

OK, I've got an appt for 8 am Friday morning.

"No appts for 3 weeks."

"You've got to be kidding me.  Can I get a referral for PT over the phone instead?"

"How long has it been hurting?"

"3 months"

"Why did you wait so long to call?"

"You would have told me: Ice, ibuprofen, rest.  I could do that without making a drs appt."
{laughs} "OK, good point.  How's Friday?"

#159 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Yay geo!

#160 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM

Hi everyone. Reading along, mostly lurking.

Back from Florida vacation. It was awesome. The sunshine, the warmth and heat, the ocean...I miss it so. I don't miss the isolation I felt living there far away from friends and community, but we were living on the west coast of Florida and we went to visit Miami Beach this time, with a foray to dear friends' houses in Hollywood for the holiday (Purim). I would move there in a heartbeat. Alas, probably not going to happen. Dh likes the cold. I can't understand it. Sigh. Just another area of fundamental disagreement, there are so many. 

Running is good. I'm attempting to ramp up for a marathon training; at least that is my plan. Why is it whenever I commit to a marathon, I get massive anxiety over running? But then I need and like the goal also. I am weird.

School: in the process of applying to get ds tested by the district. In the meantime, he seems to be doing a bit better with some interventions suggested by me and things provided by me (squeeze ball, fiddle pencils). The ultimate problem however, remains, and I am at a loss how to handle it. I don't have a whole lot of options so I feel stymied and heartsick that my boy is not getting what he needs and I don't know how to get others to acknowledge or provide it. Bleh.

Ok, hungry after a 6 mile speed workout on the mill tonight. 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#161 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

MelW - logout??!!  bigeyes.gif  
ROTFLMAO.gif Seriously, who DOES that? orngbiggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

OK, I've got an appt for 8 am Friday morning.

"No appts for 3 weeks."
"You've got to be kidding me.  Can I get a referral for PT over the phone instead?"
"How long has it been hurting?"
"3 months"
"Why did you wait so long to call?"
"You would have told me: Ice, ibuprofen, rest.  I could do that without making a drs appt."

{laughs} "OK, good point.  How's Friday?"
thumb.gif Awesome, geo!

wave.gif
I feel like I haven't been here in forever. Why does life have to be so stinking busy all the time? Sigh. I skied Friday, worked all weekend, skied today, tried to squeeze in some housecleaning in between my shifts, got cable installed yesterday in a marathon appointment, etc., etc., etc... Tomorrow's day off will be spent getting a workout in (finally) and running errands. Of course, I have to go back to the hospital to HR because the genius HR guy who filled out my paperwork for me yesterday printed out the letter I needed certifying my employment with someone else's name on it. rolleyes.gif Would have been nice if I had noticed it before I got home, but it didn't even cross my mind to check it after working all night. I'm also really bummed because I had come across an awesome deal on some powder skis (like new, only a few days on them, SO pretty) and the girl sold them out from under me today before I could go pick them up tomorrow. I understand why (she wanted to sell them as a set with climbing skins and I didn't want the skins), but it's still a bummer. It's not like I really need them, and I wasn't particularly looking, but I was so excited that I came across this deal. greensad.gif

On the upside: parent-teacher conferences yesterday. My kid is awesome. love.gif He's way ahead in both reading and math, and has improved a lot in writing. He's polite, respectful, gets along with everyone, and his biggest problem is that he can't keep himself from talking to his friends in class, so the teacher had to separate them. orngbiggrin.gif

rr~Ha. But I did ski two days, so that counts for something, right?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#162 of 194 Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Why is it whenever I commit to a marathon, I get massive anxiety over running? But then I need and like the goal also. I am weird.

I don't know, but I'm with you there.

Geo--glad you finally scored an appointment.

tjsmama--yay for a good conference and skiing.

Hi to everyone else. I'm very behind on personals and life in general.

RR: 16 x 400m on the indoor track. Managed every one in 2 minutes or under, so that's something. I was hoping it was the last set of intervals I had to do, but it appears the same workout is on the calendar next week. C&P Nic's comment about marathon training here. eyesroll.gif

NRR: have planet tickets and a rental car for the Arizona meeting. Travel will include a 2.5 hour drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I've heard it's pretty. I hope I enjoy all the alone time I'm going to have in the car.

Also, I was a very bad, crabby mama today. I so do not feel cut out for this whole parenting thing. Or career thing. Or anything. Bleh.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#163 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 AM

Oh, and you know my question about the switch that flipped in DS? His teacher just caught me in the hall. She wanted to know what we were hanging over his head. ?? She saw the same sudden switch, and the only thing that has ever had that dramatic a change in a kid is threats or bribes. We're all amazed.
#164 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 AM

Hi...new runner here who needs some advice please!

I'm running on the treadmill about 3-4 times/week.  I mainly alternate sprinting and jogging...started about 8 weeks ago to help myself lose weight.  I'm able to do about 4 miles now pretty easily.  I'm getting a little better each time (I could barely do a mile when I started!).

But as my time and distance gets better, I've been developing some physical problems that I'm trying to work though.  I have shin splints which are threatening to get bad.  I read up on how to prevent them and realized I was doing a lot of heal-pounding.  So I changed my form a bit so that I'm landing more on the middle/front of my foot, and that was better as far as my shin splints go...but now I've got horrible blisters on the sides of my feet!  They are mostly near my big toes (bunion joints).

I've been babying the blisters (making sure they stay clean and bandaged), but every time I go to run again, I'm either dealing with the intense burning pain of the blisters when I lean forward in my stride, or the shin splints if I lean back a little to take the pressure off of the blisters.  There doesn't seem to be a middle ground in my stride.

I'm worried that I'm not built right for running.  :(

Any advice?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#165 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 AM

Welcome.

*Make sure your shoes are appropriate to your gait.  Head to a proper running store and have them watch you run/walk and find a shoe consistent with that gait.

*Put the treadmill on a 1% incline instead of flat.

*Make sure you warm up, cool down, and stretch out once warm.  I run 5 minutes, then stretch out slowly, then resume the run. 

*Make sure you take rest days to not run -- either take the day off entirely or mix it up with another activity.

Good luck!  And stick around to tell us how you're coming along. ;)

#166 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 AM

Hi Emma! 

I think it's easy to forget how new a new activity is to our bodies!  Have you also changed out your socks to see if that makes a difference in the blisters?  Maybe you could do some aqua jogging until the blisters are healed, it sounds like they're not going to be able to if you continue running on them.

Real - Enjoy the drive, I'm sure I would.  It gets increasingly beautiful as you go farther north IIRC.

Gaye - Congrats on the good report from school!  That feels good!

MelW- Do you want to come over for the SJI marathon/1/2 marathon/10K?  I think MegsBK may be be coming too!  We could do some dingo partying. And maybe I can figure out how to get running again enough to do the 10k.  June 16.

RR: No.  I tried sitting in the steam room yesterday to see if it would help but I actually feel worse today than I did Tuesday so still no boxing. 

NRR: Dh is currently on day 3/3 of the bar exam.  He says he was surprised at how difficult it has been.  He says he hears now that it's the 2nd hardest in the country after CA, why this is news now I don't understand.  But whatevs.  I just hope he passes because he has studied so hard and because spring tends to trigger his allergies which triggers his depression and I think failing the test right at the start of that could be incredibly difficult to navigate.  So fingers crossed for him to pass and be able to move forward.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#167 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Welcome.

*Make sure your shoes are appropriate to your gait.  Head to a proper running store and have them watch you run/walk and find a shoe consistent with that gait.

*Put the treadmill on a 1% incline instead of flat.

*Make sure you warm up, cool down, and stretch out once warm.  I run 5 minutes, then stretch out slowly, then resume the run. 

*Make sure you take rest days to not run -- either take the day off entirely or mix it up with another activity.

Good luck!  And stick around to tell us how you're coming along. ;)

Thank you so much!

Ok a question:  What is a 1% incline?  Does that mean set the incline to 1?  redface.gif

I'm warming up and stretching...maybe not enough though.  I'll start spending more time on that. 

I do yoga on 2 of my off days, but I'm also doing step aerobics 2x week (on my run days).  I don't know how the step action is interfering with the whole process...

I'm going to get to the shoe store this weekend!  Thanks. :)

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#168 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM

Plady, oh no! fingersx.gif that he passes! love.gif the polar bear comparison. Perfect! Bwahahaha!

Emma, Welcome.gif So glad to have you join us. I'm in Texas, too. Which part are you in? I think Geo and Plady have some great advice - especially about running shoes and a professional store. I switched to barefoot and Vibrams a few years ago; if you have questions about bf, let me know. Ow on those blisters!!

Geo, love that confirmation from ds's teacher! Great news! Now, I'll be curious if it's a one-time phase or if it's a learning style. Sounds like he has a great teacher, too, which is awesome!

Tjsmama, speaking of awesome... great report on your ds, too. You think he gets all that helpfulness from his mom? smile.gif You do sound busy, but it sounds fun, too. I couldn't find a skiing icon, so jammin.gif

Real, good luck on the trip. Nice job on the run. And hug.gif on the less-than-perfect-parenting day.

RM, My boys love rollerskating and rollerblading, too. No night munchies here, but I 2nd nuts.

Mel & Sparkletruck, love.gif the book talk. I've added those titles to my Goodreads list.

Sorry if I left out anyone.

Exercise: Got in a bit of exercise yesterday. Soooo much happier to finally move my body! I'm out of town with no running shoes, so it's just lunges, planks and push-ups but at least it's something. But, oh, what a difference. I think I'm almost back to normal!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#169 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM

I figure that setting to "1" would mean 1% incline.  The point is to give it a little incline to help you strike more on the ball of your foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Geo, love that confirmation from ds's teacher! Great news! Now, I'll be curious if it's a one-time phase or if it's a learning style. Sounds like he has a great teacher, too, which is awesome!

If we ever get human cloning working, I'd suggest we start with her.  We'd fix the country's education problems.  She truly is a gem.  I have orchestrated a campaign to have all the parents nominate her for the town teacher of the year award.  It took very little effort.  I sent an email to the parents in the class, and by the end of the day we had 15 nominations.  I haven't looked to see if the other 4 families put something in later...

#170 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Emma, plady and geo had great advice. Enjoy the running an let the blisters heal. Stepping and running on the same day is quite a bit.

Plady, :goodvibe for your dh and the bar exam.

lofty, you sound like you feel better. if I never answered, JCC is Jewish Community Center, much like the YMCA but this one was much posher than any Y I've been in.

real, alone time in the car? scenery? I'd enjoy it as long as the roads were clear. I hope you find it blissful.

runningmommy, are you doing the monumental? Haven't you done that half before?

NRR: I just simplified our schedule. Each daughter (and each son for that matter) had a different place to be at the same time on Wednesdays. This would work if I only had 2 daughters but I have 3 dd and 2 ds. I took middle daughter's carpool last night and pulled her out of the activity (and ran after speaking with the teacher). She will join one of her sisters as she is already enrolled in those activities and had been missing practices. As a funny aside, it was the second day on my running clothes so after taking the others home I asked dd if she could smell me. She said yes, and that I smelled like a skunk. There was bad skunk smell in two big spots coming home so I still don't know if I was too stinky. eyesroll.gif

RR: I had a great run last night - just hard enough to make me feel accomplished for finishing w/o walking and met my goal for the month. Time to step it up a tiny bit. (and do some laundry)

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#171 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Emma - Yes on the shoes! Get checked. I go to a running store where they have a treadmill (TM) that is filmed, so as you run on it you watch a video of what your feet are doing. It was amazing. I tried on several shoes and watched myself run with each of them and found one that prevented X,Y and Z, and my injuries have subsided a LOT. Good luck!

Geo - dont you love how bureaucracy's target the lowest denominator? I have such a bad blunt attitude when I deal with them, like, ok, let's just cut to the chase shall we? Here's what I know, and here's what I want bag.gif

Plady - Fingers and toes crossed!!!!

Real - Are you me?! Are we the same person?! Crabby: check. Not cut out: check. disappointed.gif You are a powerhouse! You can be an occasional crab without guilt! If I was nursing that much I'd have posted the kid on ebay wild.gif Flagstaff is beautiful! If you have time for a run, its a beautiful place for it (maybe google search some trails). And the drive should also be beautiful. And if you have time, Sedona is maybe 30 minutes away and much warmer, and, that's right, beautiful lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#172 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Hola, It's been a busy week of lots of reading on my phone. That means I can't type very much.

Last weekend dh talked me into traveling to the ski marathon (to watch) that's about 2 hours from here. We stayed with friends. A couple who own a condo, a couple who work in town and a couple we didn't know. No one else had kids. I could probably just stop there and not go on with my story.

But I'll tell you anyhow:  ski marathon. Lots of friends doing it, some who are parents, but no other mothers. I, of course, am not skiing the marathon. I'm there to schlep kids around who don't particularly love crowds and who don't love spectating ANY sporting event. We can walk to the start from the condo. We do, much talk about how there isn't a place to pee so we should go before leaving the condo. You can see where this is going, no?   Oldest tells me she HAS to go about 30 seconds after dh starts. HAS to go. We're about 1.5 miles from home. It's soft snowy roads. So we boost little kid onto my back and bam, make it just in time for oldest to get her pants down and pee ALL.OVER the bathroom floor (but fortunately not on her pants or boots, which she'll need for the day). ~crabbing, moaning, etc.~ Leave to watch the finish. Youngest's turn. There's no place to park but she's telling me she's about to pee her pants (did we not learn anything from dd1?). Quick park car, onto the back, into the bathroom (no pee on the floor this time). But we're now 40 minutes from "home" and have zero dry clothes with us. Walk out to where we're spectating and look at watch. Super. It's about the time I'm expecting dh and our (childfree) friend. Friends' wife didn't want to stand and watch with us (which felt pretty dang awful btw), so its me and the kids. And Leah has to pee again. Super. See guys go by, hit bathroom, find dh at finish line. Avoid major freakouts by small children (miracle, since it is PACKED).

We're all rounded up and head back to the condo. Friends call after we've been there for at least an hour. They stopped for beer, won't be back for dinner.

So...not an athlete, no other mamas to hang out with and leftout of the social scene. It was a kinda crappy weekend.  Here's the killer: you know how kids draw broad sweeping conclusions? 7 yo: "Mama, Moms can't do ski marathons." No amount of convincing would allow her to understand that the woman who came in 10th is currently pregnant, the woman who took 1st in the age group I fit in has three kids, etc. Until she sees it happen, it isn't real.

Going north to Canada this weekend. My options are: 8km, 20 km, 35 km, 50 km.  My initial intent was to do the 35km race. But I never got in a real long training ski (I'm a mom with a full time job, married to a guy who works 4 jobs to make about 1.8 full time jobs - this just happens). I could certainly finish 35km or 50 km. I'm slower than the rest of the (childfree) friends who are going. What race do I do?  I did a "I have an hour, how far can I ski before picking up kids" trial run Monday and skied about 7 min/km.  My athletic ego says either do a long ski and just go for a "tour"  or do the 20km and feel ok about how you finish.  My mama ego says, "dammit I can do the 50km, my kids apparently are getting the message I can't."

and now I have to run to a meeting. so hello all of you sorry this was all about me.

#173 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM

emma~Welcome! It sounds to me like you probably jumped in a little too quickly. Definitely make sure that you're wearing appropriate shoes, and that you're putting the incline at a 1. I feel like the treadmill surface can contribute to shin splints, too. Is it possible to run outside? I hate to say it, but you may need to back off a bit until you heal up.

kerc~Sorry that your weekend was a bust. greensad.gif

plady~Good luck to your DH!

real~Enjoy the drive. It sounds lovely. As long as they don't get a freak snowstorm like they did last week. winky.gif

I had great plans to go to the Y this morning for a run and spin. Instead, I'm coming down with the plague. Again. irked.gif I've had some sinus drainage for the past couple of days, but when my alarm went off this morning, it barely even registered. So I apparently turned it off and then I woke up at 12:30. yikes.gif Hopefully that helps a little, but I am SO snotty right now, it's disgusting. And tired. Ugh. Must get better before working 4 out of 5 nights starting Saturday...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#174 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Where are the weeks going? I wish I had time to keep up with reading here but this has been a crazy busy stretch. I think I am juggling too many balls in the air but I can't see how I can drop any of them. Yikes.

#175 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Shanti grouphug.gif I hope that you get a break soon. You deserve a nice warm vacation with room service and no balls to juggle.

kerc, gah! You deserve a medal for surviving kids in snowsuits, never mind needing to do it in front of childless folks. You are strong and amazing whether you ski a 5k or a 50k. Don't hurt yourself trying to prove something to your kids (or to yourself).

Welcome, emma! I agree with the rest of the advice- excellent shoes, some rest and a bit of a treadmill incline. As a devoted trail runner, I need to put in a plug for running on a softer surface than a road or treadmill- I find it harder to get a good rhythm/form on a treadmill.

Geo, I love the exchange with the doctor's office. Hooray for a quick appointment!

Plady, I would love to run with you on the 16th, except I'm at a wedding that weekend :(

I had a very short call into work this morning, and took an 8 hour shift (they offered 12, but I counter-offered 8). It busted my plans for a fourth run in a week, though. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. This evening I had to settle for push-ups and circuit stuff at home instead.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#176 of 194 Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 PM

kerc--I'd do the 50 'cause we're all (reasonably successful) overachievers, don't ya know? wink1.gif Or at least I would if you want to be out in the cold that long and if I was sure it would make a difference. Otherwise, shorter distance, better time. It really is a toss-up that way!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#177 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

kerc, gah! You deserve a medal for surviving kids in snowsuits, never mind needing to do it in front of childless folks. You are strong and amazing whether you ski a 5k or a 50k. Don't hurt yourself trying to prove something to your kids (or to yourself).

Thanks. It was just exasperating. And I need to remind myself that these friends might never have kids. And they are fun. But there's a reason they might never have kids :P

I'm on my third night of middle of the night insomnia. So hey, I'm doing the 20km. And my children will have to figure out some other way that I am a rockstar. And I need to let.it.go.

Gaye: you just switched to working FT, no? And you're working a crazy schedule. Both I think lead to feeling crazy and sick (those are different things).

I ordered two pair of sanita clogs. both non returnable. one is size 35 (I thought that was my dd's size) the other is a 42. Well although my two other pair of 42 fit, this one feets too small. (black closed toe, "safe" coating -- perfect for lab or nursing job). And apparently my dd1 is no longer a size 4. Who knew? Clogs anyone? Cheap. $40 for the ladies and $30 for the smaller pair.

Emma:  I second Gaye's idea that it might be the treadmill. Can you make it work outside every now and again? The treadmill makes my feet hurt after a while. Ok it's probably how I run on the treadmill...

#178 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 AM

Kerc - Ugh on the whole weekend!  It drives me nuts when my instructions to pee before going are ignored to the detriment of all.  In SD I started insisting that Ali G sit on the pot for at least a minute just-in-case.  9x out of 10 she'd end up peeing, and then laughing because even she could see how dumb her previous protestations are.  But it took a few incidents like yours to get it through my thick skull that I couldn't take her word for whether she was empty or not.  And I'm sorry aout being dissed by the friend's wife.  That's lame.  As for your upcoming 20k, do that and tell your kids you won the gold medal.  And buy yourself nice finish line photo, frame it and put it up in their bedroom. 

Gaye - Your plague sounds like my plague.  At least I can control it with DayQuil but I'd really rather just stay in bed.  Oh well.

MelW - We'll figure something out!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#179 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Kerc, we KNOW you're a rock star. The revelation will definitely hit them - just maybe not today. jammin.gif

kerc, shanti, grouphug.gif

Nickarollaberry, I still blame you for our family's conversion to country! winky.gif Well, it's not a complete conversion; we like all kinds of music, but we never listened to country before you talked about running to it. So last night we took the kids to see Zac Brown Band. They were over the moon. DS1, who plays violin and likes to play it like a fiddle and ukelele-style, almost cried watching the fiddler's fingers. Both boys wore their beards. People kept asking them for autographs and taking their pix. I tried not to smile too big, but they were pretty cute I'll have to figure out how to post the pic. (eta: figured it out) I know you're busy. Hope you're well. Just wanted you to know we're thinking about you!

The rodeo was fun, too.

So my mama-friend whose kids I watch broke up with me. Ah well, it was for the best. Now I'm back to being completely broke. (And friendless, as in zero locally. Prayers needed, maybe? shy.gif ) No more coffee shop school days. It's okay. The weather's almost good enough for picnics at the park instead. The good news, is I feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off my shoulders. It's been really hard lately to not be able to take advantage of homeschool activities that are mainly during the day when brick & mortar school is happening. Now, we are free to go - only with packed lunches. I don't even care. I'm so happy to have my freedom back. Anyway, all is well.

RR: Tomorrow! fingersx.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#180 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

So my mama-friend whose kids I watch broke up with me.

Who would break up with you? What?!! Insane. Or maybe someone who isn't good enough to be your friend.

Also Zak Brown Band love.gif ok my secret crush. My husband hates ALL form of country, except maybe Johnny Cash. But I grew up listening to country music with my dad on the way home from swim practice. As in daily. And I miss my dad. So I listen to lots of country. Except the radio station's djs are so dumb.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page