Dingoes LOVE to RUN through February! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is the end of the snow season. Each year I buy my kids new gear in the fall, but this year the coffers are a bit more flush than normal because we got a sizeable tax refund. My husband called me yesterday to tell me that he'd been in the ski shop and they had junior sized ski gear on sale at a sizeable discount. My 10 year old really needs tights vs. thicker snowpants, she's about as fast as me and gets hot in snowpants.  The deals were good enough that I could get her a jacket too. I didn't want to leave out Leah Lu and I knew she needed long johns for next year because Erin wore right through the knees of the size Leah needed. So I bought her some fleecy long johns (about the same price as patagucci on sale). But I didn't take them out of the package and didn't realize they said "norway" on the back until she tried it on.

Both girls were over the moon over their new official xc skiing duds, Leah Lu slept in hers. Photos are worth sharing here.  Also worth noting: Under her ski pants Erin is sporting the $3 pair of jeans I bought at goodwill the day before. Utilizing the local thrift shop helps when I'm spending nut.gif on ski gear for kids who are smaller than me.  And now I give you 'helga' and 'inga' , our Norwegian skiing goddesses.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#182 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 AM

also snorting in my office:

I buy all our long johns from patagucci (patagonia) when they have their semi annual sale. So I'm on their email list.

I just got an email advertising the best down parka ever made.

$700

ROTFLMAO.gif

Does it have a little fireplace with a gnome who stokes the fire?

$700 for something to wear around town?

uh, no.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#183 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM

Cute kids!  How's Erin's rash healing?  Hopefully there's progress.

I just looked at the patagucci site for the first time ever.  Wow.  Give the prices, your name makes a lot of sense.  I had no idea.  And um, I recognize a lot of the clothes from certain colleagues and from the wardrobes of my kids' friends. 

I love my doctor.  She totally gets that it's an issue of getting me back out running of getting me Xanax, Ritalin, and SSRIs.  I got a lecture on not doing swimming strokes right.  As in, do the breast stroke for arms and flutter kick the legs.  She's not convinced that it's the IT band, but that it might be more having to do with my quad.  I've got a sports med PT appt scheduled for late March.  I'm contemplating calling around to other PT places for an earlier appt. 

I've said it before.  My department is bonkers. 

#184 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM

kerc~I've been FT for a year now, you'd think I'd be used to it by now! I definitely still feel run-down from working FT, though. Which kind of boggles my mind, seeing as how I was working one shift a week, having clinical two shifts a week, and going to class one day a week plus homework, etc., while I was in school.... Love Helga and Inga!

lofty~CUTE pic! And I second kerc on the ex-friend not being good enough for you. hug.gif

I'm still unbelievably snotty, but at least I don't feel completely awful. Just tired. So I think I will take a nap before I have to pick DS up from school. Hey, I got my workout in, ran multiple errands, AND showered already, I think I can make the time for a nap, no? shy.gif

Ooh, I found another pair of skis, almost identical to the ones I lost out on! They're $125 more BUT they've been skied a few days less and they come with bindings, and I don't think the bindings will even need remounted for my boot size, just adjusted. So, not only will I save the hassle of having to order/buy bindings and then take them in to have them mounted, but also the cost of having them mounted. I'm picking them up tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed for me that nothing happens to make them disappear in the next 24 hours!

rr~Dragged myself to the Y this morning, where the workout actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I did my usual hill workout on the hamster wheel, followed by spin class. I did kind of lose steam halfway through spin, but I sucked it up and finished.

Naptime! orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#185 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

lol.gif  At that price, I should hope so.

Every time we go skiing, I think about the regular prices on ski clothes and how insane they are. I do this mental math exercise to tally up how much money all the people are spending on all the equipment and clothes. We are big Sierra Trading Post shoppers, here. Patagucci lol.gif

Only semi-related... a few years back, my BIL was at the same ski resort as the singer of a band (German rock band that's been around for the last 30 years) on vacation with his family. This guy skied in a tattered parka and jeans. That makes me like him even more.

Lofty: de-friended you? disappointed.gif Not nice.

No RR for me today. I'm a little under the weather.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#186 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM

lofty, those are some super-gorgeous bearded kids you have!

And kerc, I love Helga and Inga's new gear, too.

Geo, yes, call another PT for an earlier appointment. If only to give you a bit more progress before the end of March. It all seems like a very long time to wait!! Good luck with the bonkers department.

Mel, my dad skiied in jeans. I totally embarrassed me because it showed how poor we were- but I'll now mentally reframe that as how badass rockstarish he was.

gaye, fingers crossed for your skis. I think that student life leads itself to seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and a certain kind of superhuman power. The full time grind, especially of shiftwork seems endless and therefore more exhausting. And that is my motivational moment for the day duck.gifI just tallied my hours to renew my nursing license, and I worked more than full-time in 2012. I knew it while it was happening, but it was even more than I expected (especially since the college calls full-time appointment 30 hours/week, while acknowledging that everyone works 40+).

RR- Bootcamp night. I've missed for three weeks from sick kids, sick me, then bootcamp cancellation, so I'm glad to get back.

NRR- We had a super-productive homeschool day with my oldest and she finished a big section of her math book. I offered a celebration, and she asked for bbq salmon and asparagus. Can't argue with that!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#187 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM

I thought jeans were a sign of a good skiier because you must not fall much.

I can't find a recommendation for a sports med PT that's not from the practice I called. Everyone seems to go there.
#188 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM

I need to explain the break-up bit, I guess. lol.gif I sort of fell apart the next day and decided I really needed to get out of town. So the boys and I went to my mom's house and I called to cancel watching her kids and she told me something about her dd getting her feelings hurt because my kids got sick after she was over here sick and I mentioned making a sick room in the house - which was where my ds1 was holed up at the time. Anyway, it was an overdue breakup just b/c 1) her kids are old enough to be home a couple hours before their mom gets home from work, 2) being tied down to the school schedule, the log cabin, and therefore, isolation, for the last 1.5 years is a big part of why I've been depressed, 3) her kids are sick a lot and my ds2 always catches it and then it always, always morphs into asthma, regardless of what the virus is. So while ds1 may or may not catch it but will rebound in a day or 3 at the most, ds2 is knocked out for a good week, so yes, I'm a bit anal perhaps about keeping sick kids away. Sorry but asthma is just so much worse than colds, flus, viruses, in our experience. And since we are the only 2 people we've been able to locate in the county after scouring churches, schools, libraries etc who read a lot, it's been a struggle to find friends in common so we both feel the need to preserve our friendship and I think the break-up was actually about that - choosing to call it quits on childcare to maintain friendship. So that's all good. And I feel so relieved that I can finally leave the house for a couple nights in a row! Yes!

Patagucci, hah! love it. I think I have heard that before. And I got that same email, clicked and spitdrink.gif haha. I don't think so. I actually "splurged" on one of the vests when it went on sale but then decided it was silly given Texas weather and my very, very old Woolrich fleece is perfectly fine, so I returned. Good thing I did, since I'm not making $ now!

Kerc, love Inga & Helga! And I LOVE how excited they get about good gear over $3 jeans. Haha! love.gif My dh skies in khakis with running tights under. What did you decide about the race?

Mel, I'll do the Math for BBQ Salmon & Asparagus, too. Yum! smile.gif

Tjsmom, Good luck with the skis!

And now, one more silly pic:

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#189 of 194 Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

So. Awesome.

lofty--glad to hear that there are some upside to the breakup, like not being tied to that schedule.

I was thinking about friends and my lack thereof today while J was a dance class. I'm in a funk anyhow, probably hormone-related. It's half depression, half loneliness. Had my first session of acupuncture on Tuesday and I'm hoping that will help balance out whatever is going on. DH has been...challenging...and that's been going on since November. I'm kind of over it and kind of ready for the defensiveness and the knee-jerk response to anything he thinks might be telling him what to do and being fixated on stuff and unable to move on and the constant regression to guess-culture and just all of it. Bleh.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#190 of 194 Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM

real, it sounds like your DH could use some acupuncture, perhaps even more than you need it. I hope it helps the funk, anyways.

lofty, I'm glad for the freedom of time that giving up the childcare will provide.

RR- I was aching from yesterday's bootcamp, and even more after a few hours of climbing today.

NRR- I picked up a night shift tonight. I'll probably think the climbing was an insane idea at around 4 am, but it does give me a nice boost at the start of my shift.

#191 of 194 Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Reading along and thinking of you all.

Up before the sun today to bring my parents to church. To make some kind of point to Mom's friends, I think, about religious freedom and tolerance here. Anyway, dh has to work in Dubai today. Might go there, or we might just hang around and nap. Napping sounds more fun to me just now.

RR: LOL.
#192 of 194 Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 PM

MelW--hope you survived the night shift, in spite of or thanks to the climbing!

1jooj--hope you managed a nap after your early morning.

RR: 17 miles, aka, the middle part of marathon training where I wonder what I was thinking when I signed up. Spent 5 miles fighting off the negative voices and other demons in my head before I pulled out my headphones and listened to podcasts instead. I don't run with headphones outside because I don't think it's safe, but obviously I made an exception today or I wouldn't have had headphones on me to begin with. Instead of my usual Camelback two-bottle system, I had my single bottle and a hand-held one that has an iPhone holder. The distraction helped. I also got to see the Metzger Farm open space that they just opened up last month when I hit the 8-mile mark. It turned out that the run around it was about a mile: perfect! I had no idea that farm was hidden up there, even though I've driven past the area on the west and run past its eastern boundary numerous times. The farmhouse and buildings are fenced off but still there, along with a couple of ponds and some neat wildlife.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#193 of 194 Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 PM

It was a lovely night shift, with two quick unmedicated births before midnight. My arms and butt are still sore today from the Fri/Sat exercise.

My habit of only sleeping 3- 3.5 hours after a night did catch up with me today. I lost a large piece of salami while making lunch. It's mysteriously missing, along with the bag it was in. Not in the cupboards, pantry, recycling, garbage or compost. The fridge has been emptied and cleaned. I double checked the fridge this afternoon and found my cell phone in there, but no salami anywhere. I know we didn't eat it all (especially with the bag missing, too). Next week if I'm complaining about a strange stink in my house, will someone please remind me of the missing salami?!

RR- Stretch, stretch, stretch day.

#194 of 194 Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 AM

Shiny new thread!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1375834/dingoes-march-into-spring-come-and-run-with-us

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page