Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

~~~~~~~~~~~~jog.gif~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the February 2013 Dingo thread. run.gif

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Jo for the perky opening/mission statement!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Subbing
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM

RR: 4 miles felt really nice.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM

subbing in

No running for me as I am sick once again. This is getting old -or maybe that is me.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 AM

hola.

a few prime words today:

lake-effect snow

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and now back to work.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

kerc - jealous, jealous, jealous! I want some snow!!!!

mommajb - feel better soon. You're not old, because if you're old, so am I, and I'm not. How's that for logic?!

RM - nice run smile.gif

NRR - cleaning today. Fun. Not really.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM

jog.gif 2013 Dingo Race List
:

loftmama - Gusher 5K, March 9, 2013

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon, March 24, 2013

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k, April 5, 2013

loftmama - Hog's Hunt Trail Run, 10K, April 13, 2013

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 19, 2013

tjsmama - Colfax 1/2 Marathon, May 19, 2013

Nickarolaberry - Vermont City Marathon, May 26, 2013

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Tri, June 22, 2013

bec - Door County Triathlon - Half Ironman, July 21, 2013

tjsmama - Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Olympic distance Saturday, Sprint distance Sunday) on August 17-18, 2013

tjsmama - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013

Special dates:

candle.gif September 24, 2012  Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts. stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM

run.gif2013 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

mommajb - Tinkerbell Half, January 20, 2013

mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 26, 2013 - 1:38:46

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K, January 27, 2013

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon, February 10, 2013 - 1:59:47

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM

Thank you JG!

And yay, snow! I would love a nice snowstorm.

Jo, I love hearing about your travels and adventures. I hope this next move to a bigger place is an easy one for you guys.

So, we have lice. Or more specifically, DD2 had them, but I spent the morning treating and combing her, so she's louse-free right now. DS didn't have them, nor do I, so let's hope it was just a recent thing.

I visited with DS's teacher today. She was encouraging and showed me testing results indicating that he was improving steadily. On a grade-level basis, he fell a bit from fall (62%) to winter (57%), but she was not concerned as all the kids had not been tested yet. He has to reach level H (I have no idea on what scale this is) in reading to be considered at a grade level appropriate for 2nd grade, and he is already at G.

Geo, you mentioned breaking things down, and that is what I have been working on with him this week. I think one problem in math is that he can not, or will not, read the instructions. I think I need to work with him on reading those and understanding them. Turns out that he did not know "addition" meant "+", for example.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 02-06-2013, 03:44 PM
bec

Thanks for the shiny new thread, JG.  Maybe I can keep up this month!

RR: I did 3.5 miles of speed work today (mile repeats), and will be heading to the pool/spin room for tri class shortly.

NRR: I'm about ready to have my oldest daughter's head.  She has a science fair project that has been going on for a while.  I found out today, that the experiment and results need to be completed by Friday.  She has a hypothesis and a materials list, but that is it.  Thankfully, it should be a quick experiment (she is postulating that chocolate ice cream will melt faster than other flavors).  I will pick up our materials tomorrow, while she is at school, and hopefully get it knocked out tomorrow afternoon.  But, she should have started this part of the project 2 weeks ago.  Gah!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM

jog.gif

mommajb~Feel better! hug.gif

mel~Ugh on the lice. Hope you get it cleared up quickly! Can you add a couple of races for me? Colfax 1/2 Marathon on May 19. Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Olympic distance Saturday, Sprint distance Sunday) on August 17-18, and (sigh) the New York Marathon on November 3.

No official word from HR yesterday, but I have at least been in contact. The director finally called me back...at 7:15 last night, when I was in the middle of taking report and couldn't, of course, answer my phone. rolleyes.gif I promptly sent her an email (because, of course, she didn't answer when I immediately called her back) outlining the situation. I also copied my manager on it. Her response was that she would look into it further today and see what they could do, so I guess that's something. Of course, I haven't heard anything further today.

Last night was, at least, a pretty good night at work. I was admit nurse, and we had 5 babies, mostly well-spaced, except for the two at the end who decided to be born at the same time...about half an hour later than I prefer for getting everything done before shift change. Nonetheless, it was a big improvement! I'm on call tonight, and I'm a little torn...XH is in town, so I don't have DS to worry about, and it would be very nice to get called in and make the $$$$$. On the other hand, I really want to go skiing tomorrow. orngtongue.gif We'll see, either way will be fine!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Hi mamas. Drive by subbing post. 6 tough miles earlier; I am in the middle of a gluten exposure reaction greensad.gif and had to make several pitstops.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM
bec

Tri class was awesome.  Tough swim, followed by speedwork on the spin. 

Mel - Can you put me down for the Door County half ironman?  It's on July 21

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Nic, I hope you're feeling better soon.

RM, I'm presuming you're feeling better, or at least feeling well enough to run despite the runs.

Mel, I hope you're done with the lice and everyone else remains louse-free. The teacher meeting does sound encouraging.

Mommajb, feel better soon!

Kerc, enjoy the snow.

My youngest is getting better from the cold, and three weeks since her last asthma meds. Fingers crossed that this holds up through spring pollen season. We finished the cold-specific herbs today, and go back to a few weeks of restorative/strength building herbs for her kidney/liver/lungs. After that he hopes to have her med and herb-free.

Neck/Shoulder feels better today- no headache!! One more 6 am drop off for the kids, then next week I have my FIL here for the final week of my clinical teaching contract. I am so ready to let the obsessive organization and packing go...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Checking in from Los Angeles. My flight was one out of a bad slap-stick comedy movie. Back home Friday.

RR: doing all the IT band stuff I can find, plus yoga. Otherwise, I'm on the injured list. For swimming, is breast stroke good or bad for these things? I really feel it laterally on my knee after some breast stroke (250 yards breast last week, 1000 yards total), but it seems optimal for developing what should be the weak muscles.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Mystery solved as to why I've been getting no updates! dizzy.gif  It's a little busy.

Hope the lice goes quickly and easily!

Gaye - Imagining a successful call and you punching the sky in victory.

Gotta run (box).

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Heading out for my knee ultrasound! Prayers, thoughts, good vibes.... I'll take them all!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'm back. The medial side of my knee shows moderate degenerative joint disease with osteophytes, but it's been that way since 2008. My patellar tendon has some scar tissue, but that's is because they took a section of it out to rebuild my ACL back in 1996. Lateral side is..... NORMAL! BUT, the peroneal nerve shows signs of damage still, even after 2 injections. The doctor suggests one more peroneal nerve injection, and if there is no improvement, then a surgical consult to release the nerve (somehow?) I am really relieved that there is no arthritis in the lateral knee and that the medial arthritis has not progressed beyond where it was 5 years ago. I have another follow-up next week and I'll ask her then about running/not running and take it from there.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

JG - how would the injections repair the peroneal nerve? That doesnt make sense to me.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 PM

breast stroke is rough on your knee. that's all I know.

busy busy day. whew.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

cold.gif

Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

breast stroke is rough on your knee. that's all I know.
yeahthat.gif Before my knee surgery, I was having a lot of trouble breast-stroking.

No reply from HR director yet...she has until Monday before I go up the chain.

I ended up not getting called in last night, and in fact, got cancelled at 11:30. I wish they would have just kept me so I could have kept making my $5/hr for sleeping! orngtongue.gif At least I earned 5 hours before they cancelled me, which paid for my lift ticket today. It was a good day skiing. We went to Loveland, and I had never been there before (because it's not part of my season pass). A local radio station was having a "hooky" day with $25 lift tickets, and my favorite women's outdoor shop was doing free ski demos, so it was a good day to go. I met up with several friends and we had a great time! I even skied my first "extreme" terrain and lived to tell the story. It actually wasn't bad, at all. I fell once, for no good reason that I can figure out, but I bounced right back up and kept going. It was my first time demo-ing skis, and I learned that skis are a lot like wine for me...I can tell you what I like and don't like, but have no clue on the nuances! I'm not really in the market for new skis right now, but I was curious about what's out there and if I could actually tell the difference between skis. The good news is that I wasn't really able to tell much of a difference and I liked all of the skis, so if I happen across a screaming deal on some new skis, I can go for it as long as they're the right length.

Now that I had a day to play, tomorrow will be a get-things-done day!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 PM

JayGee, I hope that the peroneal nerve can be fixed relatively easily.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 PM

tjsmama--glad you had a good skiing day. Does Loveland look completely different in February than it does before starting the Slacker half there? And joy.gif about Colfax. Hopefully I'll catch up with you at the end. Then again, the full only starts an hour earlier than the half, so you'd still have a good long wait before I cross the finish line. (I'll cross my fingers anyhow.)

JayGee-- goodvibes.gif

Mel38--that sounds like a really good meeting with your son's teacher.

Hope everyone stays warm and has power during the storm.

RR: none, because the school board meeting ran until 10. Did 12x400m intervals yesterday though.

NRR: J had a cavity filled today, and the dentist was quick and didn't have to numb her because it was so small (yay!). Board meeting was relatively uneventful, though there was a presentation on school safety and one on mental health and that was hard. Mostly, the video they showed to introduce the topic was really, really hard to watch. And it didn't even get to Newtown. mecry.gif Too many kids.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Real - that sounds hard to watch.

tjsmama - awesome ski day! Sounds like so much fun. I miss skiing...

sparkle - apparently, the cortisone injections can reduce swelling in the nerve which somehow can fix the problems. The doctor said the nerve cross section is supposed to look like a honeycomb, with evenly sizes "holes", but mine has some large holes and some smashed down holes, which is causing conduction problems. Above the knee it looks normal, and below the knee is normal too. His guess is that it was injured in the race in May 2009 by my fibula subluxing, and just hasn't repaired itself fully, if it even can. I'll get more info on Wednesday.

NRR - day off from school today for parent teacher conferences. We don't have conferences this time around because they only do them for new students or kids who are having problems in the spring. While I am happy that none of the kids is having problems, I would love the opportunity to touch base with the teachers anyway. At least I see them all in the library!

We are all sad here. Our stray cat, who adopted us, hasn't been home in 6 days. He's never missed a meal here in the year and a half since we started feeding him. My kids adore this cat and we are all so sad to think he might have met with a bad end. No way of knowing of course, but I fear the worst. We miss you Cookie-boy greensad.gif.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM

Aw, jaygee...I hope your kitty finds his way home to you quickly!

jo~I keep forgetting to tell you that DS says he hasn't presented his FS yet, so I'm not sure if the costume made it or not. I'm picking DS up from school today, so if I see his teacher, I'll ask! :-)

real~Loveland was cool! I'd never been there, beyond driving by to go over the pass, and starting the Slacker half. I skied the Basin, which is the other part of the ski area (where the race starts is the Valley, which is pretty much the beginner area). I had no idea it had so much terrain beyond what you can see from the road and from the highway. And most of it is above timberline, which was interesting. My friend that I skied with said that it's a lot like skiing in Europe, since it's a lot more wide open. The views were pretty fabulous, and we didn't even really get all the way up to the top.

I got my workout in this morning, now it's time to get my hair "did" orngtongue.gif before picking DS up from school to go get HIS hair cut and then errands, then cooking some dinner, then waging war against the HOA. I drove all around my neighborhood on my way home from the Y to take pictures of all the condos/townhouses that allow placement of satellite dishes where my HOA is saying that I can't place it. Oh, and I also took a couple of pictures in my own complex of stuff on the outside of balcony railings (a flagpole and flower boxes) to argue with them on the no-outside-of-balcony-railings thing. I'm not looking forward to putting it all together (mostly because my computer is slower than dirt most of the time), but there's a perverted part of me that can't wait to be like HEY LOOK, DUMMIES!!! YOUR REASONING HAS VERY LARGE HOLES IN IT! mischievous.gif

Oh, and I weighed myself this morning for the first time since our Biggest Loser contest ended a couple of weeks ago, and I was thrilled to see that despite my crappy eating and erratic workouts, I've maintained my weight! And maybe even lost 1/2 a pound! Did I ever mention here that I um, kind of won the contest? bag.gif I don't know why I'm so embarrassed/sheepish about it...other than that there were other people who were trying so much harder than I was, and I really didn't feel like I had all that much to lose in comparison. But, I not only met my goal, I exceeded it...and was only 3 pounds away from my "dream" goal. I lost 14.8 pounds total...here's hoping I can continue to keep it off!

rr~My usual dreadmill/spin class combo. I'm kind of digging the hill workout on the dreadmill. It keeps it interesting and the two minute intervals make it seem like the 30 minutes goes by super quickly! Spin class was kind of a snooze, but I got a decent workout in. Unfortunately, a classmate was uber-smelly, to the point that it actually made me gag a couple of times. grossedout.gif

Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Subbing...it's been busy...and tomorrow, we will be heading to the club for some working out, reading, and maybe even swimming in the pool. Weather looks to be on our side.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Subbing.

Mel, Can you put me down for the Gusher 5K on March 9th? Thanks!

JG, glad there's no arthritis in that knee. I don't understand the peroneal nerve either. Hope kitty is ok. greensad.gif

RR: had an awesome country road run yesterday. Was worried I'd have to walk because I've run so little and slept so much. But it was a great run!

NRR: Still sleeping a bizarre amount. Slept 11 hours last night. redface.gif 11!? I'm not depressed. Not fatigued - you know the exhausted kind of tiredness. But I could totally sleep all day if I wanted to. Not like me. Got some girly problems going on downstairs, iykwim. Have a biopsy scheduled for Tuesday. Not worried but wondering if my body is trying to heal something with this insane amount of sleep. Thank goodness I can be home all the time. The boys, thankfully, are just reading tons since I'm not really able to crack the whip. Asking for dingo vibes for next week's appt.

Oh and in case anyone thinks it's all coming up roses in this sweet country life. It's not and this is why - can't use the septic system :bugeyes

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Lofty - Sending you good vibes for your appointment.  Maybe the sleepiness is just winter?  I just conked out with my feet up in front of the fire in the library.  The public library.  The girls say I was snoring.  Well I'm sure I wasn't the first and it felt so nice.

Gaye - No need to be shy about smoking the contest!  Would we be surprised?  No!  You're our Gaye!  Marathoning, Skiing, Night Nursing!  Congrats!  And good luck shaking the info out of HR for the $ and with the HOA. 

JayGee - I take it this cat isn't one of the evil ones?  I hope he saunters back in and then suits him to stay on.

Just back from a local ballet.  It wasn't bad, Alison liked is C was less interested.  Now I'm going to try to get them settled down so dh and I can watch a Dexter.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

I agree that sleep is a winter thing. Last night I conked out with DD2 at 8:45pm, woke briefly to let a meowing cat out and climb into bed with DH and was finally up for the day at 7:15! Ahhhhh... wonderful sleep!

Plady - no, Cookie is the good cat. The sweet, loving gentle cat who doesn't barf, scratch up the furniture, or wake me up for running water at 3:00am (because he doesn't spend the night indoors). It's been 8 days now. I am sure he's gone. Probably hit by a car or eaten by a coyote or fox greensad.gif. My kids were all crying last night. I even saw DH wipe away a tear.

lofty - yikes on the septic!

RR - walked/ran on the TM at the Y on Friday night while DS had swim practice. Nothing yesterday. Not sure what I'll do today, but at least my PT if nothing else.

NRR - Teaching Sunday school, getting more supplies for the kids' Valentines, catching up on the house today.

Tags
Fitness
User Tag List