Yoga Home Practice for March-- Challenge and Support - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I did see that on the No-Spend thread-- and you are still posting!!  That's amazing to me.  Congratulations! 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#32 of 45 Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Still here, still rollin' with the one-a-day sun salutations (except yesterday - I was too wiped out) - mostly after the tiny kid is asleep - kind of more like moon salutations haha.  I love that this thread keeps me accountable, and that I'm at least doing something. Sheepish.gif  It helps me feel more home in my body, and even the tiny bit helps with stress and fatigue (though I'd like to do more!).  

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#33 of 45 Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I did see that on the No-Spend thread-- and you are still posting!!  That's amazing to me.  Congratulations! 

Lol, my parents have the big kids..dh is doing all the housework/cooking so I'm just chillin with the baby nursing and hanging out!

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#34 of 45 Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:

So how's every one else doing??  I seem to be the only one left posting......  So quiet here, I think I'm hearing crickets..........

I'm still here! Albeit as a silent observer of everyone else achieving their goals! My youngest LOs got colds - and that sort of threw the schedule upside down. I'm beginning to wonder why I thought I could attain 1x/week! Geeeez. duh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I'm still around, just had baby on Saturday and haven't started yoga yet..feels too weird with the bleeding to be doing that type stuff.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Yay!! I hope that you are enjoying sweet snuggles with your new little love!! How awesome!!!

#35 of 45 Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Congratulations Micah_Mae!!!

I'm still here, but swamped with work. Fell of the yoga wagon pretty hard, plan to get back to it starting tonight with at least something! Hope to get back on here this weekend and have something worth posting.

Keeping busy with DH partners.gif, our crazy dogdog2.gif, grad school caffix.gif, and our new baby boy who arrived in June! babyboy.gif

#36 of 45 Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM

I guess the good part of my son not going to sleep is that I got to do some yoga and check back in here to record. It wasn't pretty, but it was something!

thumb.gif Sun Salutations

om.gif A full workout

dizzy.gifNo yoga today

2 thumb.gif

3 thumb.gif

4 thumb.gif

5 thumb.gif

dizzy.gif

7dizzy.gif

8dizzy.gif

9dizzy.gif

10dizzy.gif

11dizzy.gif

12dizzy.gif

13 thumb.gif .

Keeping busy with DH partners.gif, our crazy dogdog2.gif, grad school caffix.gif, and our new baby boy who arrived in June! babyboy.gif

#37 of 45 Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

I think 3 weeks without coffee is making my days feel flat.  I need to relearn what energy is supposed to feel like, I guess.  But, that's what this thread was supposed to be for--  keeping me going after the excitement of starting a new, healthy habit is over.  

Quote:

KEY:

love.gif= energetic routine & feeling amazing!

thumb.gif = 10 sun salutations or equivalent

eyesroll.gif = at least I did something

jog.gif = got my walk

happytears.gif= oh, well, tomorrow for sure

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

fever.gif Taking the day off today jog.gif Got a short walk in

eyesroll.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

eyesroll.gif

Sheepish.gif Completely forgot!

10 thumb.gif

11 thumb.gif

12 love.gif

13 thumb.gif A thumb's up, but I've been dialing it in most of these days.

#38 of 45 Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Congratulations, micah_mae!!! love.gif

I've been on and off again - I think I've been off the wagon a couple days, or one on one off - hard to recall.  I lost a grandparent this week, which has been very hard -  and so sometimes I'm too exhausted to attempt it, although if I push through even just one sun salutation, I almost always feel much better.  A physical expression of emotion, I guess.  I can do something, not just feel something.  That's why I love yoga so - that crossroads of mental/emotional/spiritual/physical.

Going to try to make more time for it this week! om.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#39 of 45 Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

Congratulations, micah_mae!!! love.gif

I've been on and off again - I think I've been off the wagon a couple days, or one on one off - hard to recall.  I lost a grandparent this week, which has been very hard -  and so sometimes I'm too exhausted to attempt it, although if I push through even just one sun salutation, I almost always feel much better.  A physical expression of emotion, I guess.  I can do something, not just feel something.  That's why I love yoga so - that crossroads of mental/emotional/spiritual/physical.

Going to try to make more time for it this week! om.gif

hug2.gif  Sending you love. I hope the upcoming days are a little easier. I've been there.

#40 of 45 Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

DROP AND GIVE ME 10!!!!  I wound up taking off my skirt to drop to do some sun salutations in socks and long johns because I almost forgot--- again!  I feel disingenuous dialing it in like I have been, but I need to get through this lack of motivation.  Maybe I need to do less, but focus more.  I'll try that tomorrow.

Quote:

KEY:

love.gif= energetic routine & feeling amazing!

thumb.gif = 10 sun salutations or equivalent

eyesroll.gif = at least I did something

jog.gif = got my walk

Sheepish.gif = I'm sure I had some excuse!

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

fever.gif Taking the day off today jog.gif Got a short walk in

eyesroll.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

eyesroll.gif

Sheepish.gif Completely forgot!

10 thumb.gif

11 thumb.gif

12 love.gif

13 eyesroll.gif

14 Sheepish.gif Charged out of the house to get car into the shop

15 Sheepish.gif Out of town.....

16 Sheepish.gif ...... completely forgot

17 eyesroll.gif

#41 of 45 Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm so happy that I found this thread the other day!

1. Who are you? I'm Susan, a homeschooling, WAH momma to my two beautiful girls; my oldest is about to turn 13, and my youngest has just turned 8, so I don't have any tiny ones crawling on me during my practice. The cat hasn't jumped on me during downward dog yet, LOL, but she does usually rush in to be petted the moment she hears one of my videos going.

2. What are your goals for this month?

I generally try to do a yoga workout at least five days per week. I also have a brisk marching routine (about 22 minutes) that I do a few times a week, and I incorporate yoga into it by periodically speeding up to running in place for 30-45 seconds or so while raising my arms straight up and doing rapid breath of fire. On days when I don't do a yoga workout, I try to take at least a few minutes to meditate and do sun breath.

3. Tell us a bit about the place of yoga, and a yoga home practice, in your life. The literal meaning of yoga is yoke, or connection, and this is really what yoga is for me -- it's all about learning to experience my connectedness to all of life. In the most recent episodes of the TV show "The Biggest Loser," I really identified with Gina (who incidentally is 48 like me) when she explained that food had been her one and only constant companion, the only one she could count on to always be there for her.

I've realized that for me, the key to reaching a healthy weight and being a healthy person is in learning to just relax and experience the reality that I am already connected to everything I need. This connection is enabling me to learn to relate to other people, and to food, in a reverent and respectful way -- reverent and respectful toward both them and myself -- rather than in a lustful and needy way. Learning how to be still and feel how fulfilling it is to just breathe and listen and be a part of this dance of life and energy, this is where my healing is coming from.

It was the summer before last, when I was helping with my girls' summer camp at church (not really "camp" but more like Vacation Bible School without the Bible emphasis), that I first got inspired to begin learning yoga. A yogi came and led my daughters' classes through some poses, and I just realized that yoga was something I needed. I discovered a couple of yoga videos on YouTube, and built my practice around those. One is an introduction to Kundalini yoga, and one is a Hatha yoga easy groundwork video. The cool thing about yoga is that the same workout is never really the same workout, because you keep increasing your intensity and improving your technique over time.

I did beautifully for the first six months or so, then the weather started warming up again and I got really congested and tired...then the really hot weather came and we were without AC, as we will be again this summer, and I just kind of petered out. Then this past November, I went to a well woman's checkup and discovered that I weighed 294 lbs (at just under 5'10"), which is morbidly obese, and my blood pressure was in the pre-hypertensive category, and this gave me the motivation I needed to get back into the swing again. So I've been going pretty strong for the past few months, even though I'm now dealing with that springtime congestion again, only not as severe as last spring, and I'm determined to even push through when we get the 90-100 degree temperatures with no AC this summer. I'm actually hoping I'll sweat a lot of pounds off then.

4. Any sage advice to share? Just hang in there and start wherever you can. When I first started "getting back into the swing," my plans were to go really easy on myself and just do the Hatha easy groundwork for a long time...but pretty soon I felt ready to get back into the Kundalini, and more recently, I got the urge to do the brisk marching. SweetSilver, I also notice a change in my energy and motivation at a certain point in my cycle. It's important to just love ourselves through these less motivated times, and realize that a couple of days or so of slowing down aren't going to ruin everything.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#42 of 45 Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for joining, mammal_mama.  I haven't been posting, I missed a couple of days, but I have been focussing of doing fewer rounds with more focus.  I am not feeling like I am getting as much of a physical benefit, but I feel like it is better all around.  I just haven't been motivated to pull it past this stage into something more energetic.  Still without coffee most days.  

I'm feeling better I think in part because I've using a neti pot with regularity twice a day.  Allergy season has begun, and at first I just get tired and stuffed up.  Right now I think it's alder.  The severe allergies begin with the grass bloom in June, but since I moved I am not surrounded by grass fields I can't mow.

The biggest struggle I am having is finding a place for my yoga on days when I am hurrying out the door.  I am not a morning person, so I am lucky to be doing salutations at 9:30.  Usually they get done at 10:30.  So, mornings I leave by 9 I'm having a hard time getting up to it.  Perhaps some evening yoga?  It's just not clicking right now.

Two questions for everyone:

Are any of you able to do yoga classes on a regular basis?

Do any of you have a recommendation for a good, basic book on the eight limbs of yoga?

#43 of 45 Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

BTW, mammal_mama has an awesome thread over in Spirituality:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1339640/living-a-yoga-way-of-life/60#post_17231108

Even though the continued posts petered out over the month (it happens orngtongue.gif), I think that we've had enough of a good response to try this again in April, with a few adjustments to accommodate different people's focus.  For example, I like to keep track of my yoga practice to encourage myself to make it a daily routine, and this helps give me one extra push to keep it going.  Others might be more interested just in the conversation going on.

mammal_mama, I hope this doesn't step on your thread!  This is posted in the Fitness forum for a reason, as some folks are less on board with the spiritual side of hatha yoga.  I am intensely interested in the spirituality side of it, and though I've checked in on your thread from time to time, I haven't subscribed to it-- I'm going to change that!

#44 of 45 Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM

I have been really MIA (and not doing so great on practicing) but I really like both of these threads.  The other reminds me of what yoga means to me, and where I've always been coming from with it.  More transcendental/spiritual.  This thread...provides me with the support I need when I'm not doing jack and need someone to understand what it's like trying to knock out even a few poses with a cat and a toddler climbing on me - and to say, do what you can, it's ok.  A mix, between the two, of the ideal and the practical - where I used to be and where I am now - I like the balance. orngbiggrin.gif

#45 of 45 Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Please join us in the April thread!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1380751/yoga-home-practice-for-april-challenge-and-support

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page