Yoga Home Practice for Spring--Challenge and Support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Spring brings a sense of renewal in a way similar to the passing of an old year.  We are inspired to start fresh with positive habits with an energy that radiates from the strengthening of the sun to it's acme in June.  It infuses our heart center with joy and purpose.

With that sense of renewal in mind, I am starting another month of the Yoga Home Practice Challenge thread.  Like the renewal of the seasons, a new month can inspire us to let go of past "failures" and look forward to new opportunities.

So would you like to join the thread?

The only requirement is to dedicate yourself to a regular yoga practice, however small you can manage it.  You can come to this thread to post your practices, if that helps challenge yourself to keep going, or you can join us in supporting each other in our quest to incorporate yoga more fully into our life.  

So, go ahead and introduce yourself, with some of these questions, if you like:

1.  Who are you?

2. What are your goals for this month?

3.  What is the importance of a home practice to you?

4.  In what ways are you able to support your home practice?  Classes?  Videos?  Magazines?  Internet?

5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy:  

6.  What do you struggle with the most?  

namaste.gif

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

1.  Who are you?  

I am a homeschooling mama of 2 girls living in rural PNW.

A basic practice every day of 4-6 sun salutations, plus some core work, about 20 minutes.  

A daily home practice seems to bring more benefit to me than the occasional class or video.  I can be spontaneous, explore asanas with as much time as I need to appreciate it fully.

4.  In what ways are you able to support your home practice?  Classes?  Videos?  Magazines?  Internet?  

Recently I've been mining old Yoga Journals from the library.  I'm not fond of staying on the internet more than I do.  The girls like joining in when I am actively learning from the articles.  I will also do a kids' yoga video with them-- they are often quite nice!

5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy:  

I like the end of a practice when I can maintain Downward Dog without any struggle.  That's how I know it's been a great practice!  I don't get that with my home practices as often because I don't keep them going quite long enough, unless I am doing a video. Recently, Half-Moon pose has been a fun challenge, as is Warrior 3.

My shoulders are inflexible, but improving, and I cannot do plow or shoulder stands.  My hips are pretty tight, too, but improving as well.  My main struggle is simply to keep focus, or, more accurately, to bring my focus back after I have to attend to spelling a word or answering a question for the girls.  

namaste.gif

#3 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I want to join!  I'm still working hard to finish a couple of projects I wanted to complete this month, but I'll come back once I'm done to answer the questions.  Just posting now so the thread shows up in my activity. 

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#4 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

1.  Who are you?

Micah, mom of 3 boys..army wife..

I'd like to make sure to do some yoga 3-4 times a week at least.

I am a good 50-60 lbs overweight, just had baby #3 three weeks ago and recently found out I have ankylosing spondylitis. Yoga, walking and stretching are essential to retaining my mobility which is required when you have 3 boys 4 and under.

I am waiting for a video to arrive, it's a beginners video with 2 work outs. If I can't do that I'd like to at least do 5-10 sun salutations throughout the day.

5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy:  

I am so new to yoga I can't possibly answer this yet.

Time/energy/kids/pain

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#5 of 18 Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Who are you?
Ashley- mom of 3, beginning yoga enthusiast.
Yoga every morning, even if its just a few stretches
3. What is the importance of a home practice to you?
It's not easy for me to go to class, and my kids love to watch and join in with me in their own little ways smile.gif
4. In what ways are you able to support your home practice? Classes? Videos? Magazines? Internet?
I have a DVD with a bunch of different yoga routines I follow. So far.
5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy: I really enjoy all of it so far

6. What do you struggle with the most?
I'm bad- I don't know names. The one where my kness are supposed to be on my elbows. Ugh. wink1.gif

My knees are painful for some reason so hard core exercise isn't an option for me right now. Yoga is awesome- and I feel so refreshed!
#6 of 18 Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherie23 View Post

I'm bad- I don't know names. The one where my kness are supposed to be on my elbows. Ugh. wink1.gif

Crow?  I don't remember the proper names (now I'm not in classes 3x a week, like I was in the city BK [Before Kids]).  That one is slightly easier if you think more about going forward into the pose, rather than lifting up into it.  Slightly.  Easier.  orngtongue.gif

My practices:

Week 1: thumb.gifthumb.gif About 15-30 minutes each.  Focussing on quality, not quantity.  So far, beginning and ending with a minute of focussed breathing.  

#7 of 18 Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Did a 20 min video! First workout!

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#8 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

micha_mae_

I belated "good job!" for getting started so soon after your little one was born.  Hope the week has been going as well as it started!

I'm finally getting bit of my energy back after a droopy month.  I think all the new green in the forest and on the lawns are helping me.  A week of sunshine and I am loving the rain again!  Though the slugs ate my daughter's new marigold plant. :(  I missed a day yesterday--I still have trouble fitting yoga in to a get-up-and-go morning, but I followed up today with a longer, more mindful practice.

#9 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd really like to do some yoga in the backyard once the mornings get real nice! Hopefully I'll be posting here soon :)

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#10 of 18 Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'm finally back!

1.  Who are you?

I'm Angela.  I have a 3 year old boy and a 6 month old boy!  I stay home with them, and make things whenever they give me a chance.

I would like to get in at least a short practice 3-4 times a week

I can't afford a class out of the house right now, and I really need the mental break yoga gives me. 

I have a dozen 20 minute dvds I ripped to my computer (so much faster than messing with the discs).  I'd love to find some that are a little longer, anybody have any 30 minute videos they like?

5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy:  

I don't know the name of it, but there is one stretch, where you start on hands and knees and then put one shoulder on the floor, reaching that arm across underneath your body, while the other shoulder stays put.  It's a marvelous stretch between my shoulder blades, where I tend to carry tension from all the baby-carrying/nursing

The backs of my legs are so so tight.  I struggle sometimes with accepting that I really can't go any farther in some poses because of it, I have to sit on a large cushion for dandasana, and can't lean forward into the stretch any more than 90 degrees from the floor.  Any standing forward bend requires my knees be deeply bent.  I have been practicing accepting my body where it is now, and focusing on the good stretching sensation in those difficult poses, rather than on feeling negativity about how tight I am. 

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#11 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post

I have a dozen 20 minute dvds I ripped to my computer (so much faster than messing with the discs).  I'd love to find some that are a little longer, anybody have any 30 minute videos they like?

Two that I keep grabbing from the library:

Yoga Burn with Rodney Yee (I loooove that last downward dog and will pause the video there to enjoy it for a while).

Yoga Trance Dance with Shiva Rea (You can make this as long or short as you like, and my girls love the dance part of it.  We use scarves and dance around the living room, silk flying in every direction.  Advice: be gentle on yourself with this video.  It is easy to get warmed up and pumped up and overextend yourself and pull something odd somewhere.)

I'm starting off this week with some more energized practices.  I'm also trying to open and close each sun salutation with a dedication breath.  It helps keep me in the moment and focussed on something besides "getting it done".  The closing breath is done with the intention of letting the last salutation go.  And I'm including savasana, even briefly, instead of just rolling up the mat.

#12 of 18 Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love this!  I want to join you all if you do a thread for May!  I use yogaglo.com & I'd like to do it more regularly.  

Christina

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#13 of 18 Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm just going to rechristen this thread for spring.  We have enough interest to keep it going, but it's slow enough that I think a seasonal thread is more appropriate than one that moves every month.

Today I'm getting back in the yoga groove.  I have trouble if the morning interrupts my routine, and the last 3 mornings I have had to get up and go.  I really feel the break.  Even though I do 20-25 minutes of yoga and never attend a class, I feel the benefits of a daily practice far outstrip the benefits of the occasional 1-2 hour class or 45 minute video, even.  So, even though we haven't seen much activity here, and not much of that is focussed on a daily routine, I still keep coming back to preach the benefits of doing a small bit every day.  I can *almost* do a proper twist in the reversed half-moon pose, and my hips *almost* touch the floor in pigeon.  So much improvement, a little bit at a time.  Inner thighs and groin remain tight-- and have been that way forever-- and shoulders are still tight but improving albeit less dramatically.

#14 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello again! I'll be back to answer the questions later, but I wanted to share a link to my most recent post in Spirituality, for anyone who might be interested. It's about how experiencing my continual connection to everything I need -- an experience I am cultivating through yoga -- is helping me develop a healthier relationship to food. It's post #88.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1339640/living-a-yoga-way-of-life/80#post_17342586

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#15 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 AM

1. Who are you?

Susan, married, unschooling mom of 13yo and 8yo girls. I also work from home giving telephone English lessons.

a) Most mornings (except maybe on Sundays when I have no lessons and often do a yoga workout pretty early in the morning) -- to spend a few minutes doing headrolls and sunbreaths and get myself centered.

b) Daily, usually on a morning break between lessons -- to spend at least 21 minutes hula hooping. This is sheer yoga to me, because it helps me experience my connection to the spinning force that undergirds the whole universe, from the microscopic to the macroscopic. Related to the spinning force, I'm beginning to feel the reality that my life is not linear, with birth at one end and death at the other -- it's cyclical, with every death (of a hope, of a phase of life, etc.) leading into new birth, growth, development, and expansion. I feel this way because hooping's a skill that I just learned within the last few weeks, at age 48 -- not something I was able to do as a child.

At least three times per week, usually late in the afternoon after finishing my lessons for the day -- to do a Kundalini workout on YouTube. Here's the link, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnbzxMsjbIk

At least two times per week -- to do the "Hatha Yoga 1 -Easy Ground Work" workout, also on YouTube --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3kA7G3hZbg

3. What is the importance of a home practice to you?

I spend practically all of my time in the house, and I feel like my little one really likes knowing where she can find me, plus I don't have money for classes.

4. In what ways are you able to support your home practice? Classes? Videos? Magazines? Internet?

I love reading articles online. Here are a few sites I really like:

http://www.realitysandwich.com/

http://www.rebellesociety.com/

http://www.kindovermatter.com/2012/12/TheHealingPowerofHoopDance.html

I find Kundalini intense and exciting; I can really feel my energy getting unblocked and building throughout my practice.

I find Hatha easy ground work very stretching, nurturing, and relaxing. I feel like it helps me heal if I've been a bit too enthusiastic with my hooping practice.

I find all three practices -- hooping, kundalini, and hatha -- nourishing and invigorating for my core body, each in a very unique way.

Probably guilt over taking the time to do this for myself -- but I really believe that getting myself more connected to life helps my loved ones get more connected, too. Plus, they always know where they can find me during my practice.

#16 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome again, mammal mama, and I promise not to switch the threads on you this time!

#17 of 18 Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Great news! I had the opportunity to weigh myself yesterday, and I've lost 54 lbs. since this time 6 months ago (November) which was when I got motivated to resume my yoga practice and move towards healthy living.

I now have 70 lbs. to lose to get down into my healthy weight-range. If I keep losing at about this pace (about 9 lbs. a month), I may be able to reach my goal at around the time that we are bringing in the New Year, or soon after.

Of course, I know it will be harder as I get closer to my ideal weight. So I'm hoping to do pretty well with adding in little bits of extra hooping or yoga as I find the time. I've just recently worked myself up to about 30 minutes of hooping per day, and where possible, I hope to soon start adding in an extra 10 minutes or so later in the day. Plus I'm trying to do a yoga workout every day when I can. Last week, I did yoga workouts six days out of seven, and even did two different workouts in one day.

#18 of 18 Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

joy.gif

That's great!  That's a long time to maintain such diligent motivation.  Such an inspiration!  I'm stuck in the middle of a big weight loss right now.  Spent 1.5 years at 148, then gained 10 #, now I'm struggling to get it back down, even to the 1/2way point!

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page