No foolin'! Dingos are running through April! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 247 Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
weird double post

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#92 of 247 Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM

RM, Happy Birthday to your ds! It is a milestone for everyone.

Shanti, I am sorry you have celiac to deal with but glad yo have the diagnosis as you had the problem regardless. What relief you must feel to have your ds back.

real, you will be close so if you need to run away give me a shout! (1.5 -2ish hours by car, if you could actually run to here from DisneyLand we would have already planned a meet up.)

jaygee, I am so sorry for you and your children. I hope it is only the beginning and that you can imagine and manifest a brighter future.

congrats on the loan program Gaye.

lofty, hoeschooling through other priorities and on the go is so difficult; so Yeah to you and your boys. Best wishes for good health to you mil.

plady is buff and strong and amazing just in case anyone wants my opinion.

I don't mean to leave anyone out but y kids are downstairs eating unattended and I need to move them on to tooth brushing.

RR, not really but I have been lifting. I need to run. My genetics suck and the bad news is I have had 5 kids to inherit them. redface.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#93 of 247 Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM

My computer is toast, which is why I haven't been posting much lately. I've waffled long enough and decided to replace my laptop with a Mac mini which will be great as long as my husband keeps his promise to let me use his laptop when needed.

I'm still hoping to get to treasure mapping, but had a few crazy and heart-heavy days at work that needed to clear before I could contemplate my future. In good news, my husband just got news of a grant that should keep us afloat (along with my work) through the summer.

Shanti, I'm thrilled about your son's progress. I hope the celiac diagnosis proves positive for your health and your future.

JayGee, people (aka voters) are so short sighted greensad.gif

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#94 of 247 Old 04-13-2013, 05:48 PM

Sparkle or lofty (I think?!) posted a link to some IT related stretches/exercises for Geo at some point in the past couple of months. Because I'm working from my phone and the search function is annoying beyond belief, is there anyone who can dig up and repost the link? On third thought it may have been JayGee who posted them....

Last night's bootcamp was a crossfit inspired workout. I have never hated hurlers so much in my life.

Tonight is a night shift at the hospital. I'm hoping for relative sanity.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#95 of 247 Old 04-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/

That's what I'd found.

My routine is:
Green band, side steps and monster walks 3x15
Balance on each leg while standing on a pillow, eyes closed 30secx3 each leg
Side leg lifts 3x15
Straight leg forward, side back with red band 3x15 each leg
Fig 4 stretch 3x30 sec each side
Quad stretch 3x30 sec each side
lots and lots of rolling, finally all along the IT band, having been working towards that for 3 weeks
Birdges 3X30 sec and reverse planks 10x10 sec

Then other stuff for the pinned nerve in my butt
And other stuff for my hip misrotation causing the pinned nerve in my butt
#96 of 247 Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Proof yet again that I am not as young as I used to be: last night's bachelorette party for my friend. dizzy.gif Let's just say that I was about 10 years older than everyone else there, and I clearly do not hold my liquor as well as I used to. It was fun, but wow.

rr~Yeah, that didn't happen today. rolleyes.gif I did, however, get in 8 miles yesterday with the above-mentioned friend. Kind of hit the wall the last couple, but I did it. If I get another 8 in next week, I might actually be somewhat respectable for the 10 mile race in two weeks. Maybe.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#97 of 247 Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Today's progress

#98 of 247 Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 PM

Lookin' good, Geo! thumb.gif

Yep, heat is definitely on here. AC is now on, don't know whether we've passed the point of no more opening windows. Had that heat-inspired talk with dh yesterday, where he says, "Listen, whenever you've had enough, you let me know, you all can go back for the summer. FInish up school there if you need to." happytears.gif And I'm like, dude, we've got at least another two weeks or so of suitable swimming weather. ROTFLMAO.gifAnd it's still snowing there, so...um, not yet.

RR: So dd came with me this morning on my walk, and I probably will try harder from now on to get out myself. She's a sport but is bored by the first half hour. I saved a starfish on the beach, though. And then carried home a lot of groceries, so I got some arm work in that way. winky.gif I've got yoga Tuesday and Wednesday nights this week. My BIL arrived late last night, so we'll probably try dragging him to the beach if he ever comes out of the bedroom.

#99 of 247 Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 AM

Jooj - you are in that "uncomforable place" where it's too hot there, but still snowy here. I just saw Jennie's pictures on FB, and you're not wanting to head that direction anytime in the really immediate future.

Geo - nice work on the sofa. And I really like the fabric you selected too.

Another good IT band stretch I learned in PT is to lay on your side on the edge of the bed with the affected leg on top. I have a 5 lb. weight on the top ankle and then hang the weighted leg behind you off the edge of the bed.

It's my 45th birthday today! I plan on a good run, some quiet sewing time with a new fabric I got, and hanging out with the family. How in the he## did I suddenly become 45 years old?! Yesterday with did DD1's birthday party at the horse ranch where she rides. Six girls on horseback for 1.5 hours and then back to our house for cake. It was the easiest, most fun party I have ever hosted, by far.

I am researching private schools this week in anticipation of the school cuts next year. There is one K-8 school I am eager to find out more about, but it's a 30 minute drive away. And costs money, of course wink1.gif!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#100 of 247 Old 04-14-2013, 09:09 AM

Geo - That couch is going to be amazing!  You're doing such a great job!

Jo - You know, there are direct flights here from Dubai and our weather is totally tolerable, and I have so much room, and chickens and plenty of beautiful nature to explore until it stops snowing in WI.  You guys are welcome to make this your first stop on the way.  Think about it!

I'm interested to hear about BIL's experience.

Happy Birthday JayGee!  That sounds like a good party, I may steal that idea.  Good luck with the school stuff.  I'm thinking about a private school for dd1 in the next year or two too.  I've seen enough of the contrast between the private school middle-schoolers and the public middle-schoolers to see that she'd be much happier and better served in the private school.  The hurdle is figuring out finances and getting past the guilt of abandoning public education.

Gaye - I feel your pain.  I've found that I can have 1 (count it, one) drink with impunity.  After that all bets are off as to whether I'll be able to sleep through the night and/or wake up unscathed. 

Sparkle - Thinking of you.  How did the TM turn out?

Time to get back to work.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#101 of 247 Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Plady - Aw, thanks. TM was adequate, but nothing special. I barely managed to pull it out by Friday. No images, just words and colors

JG - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Im glad things seem to be on the upswing these days

Jooj - Thinking of you as you transition into the more challenging "season"

mamajb - i've seen sevarl pics of you and your genetics look damn good to me!!

Geo - wow, just wow

RR: after 2 weeks of nothing but dog walks: hour on the bike, 25 minutes on the mill

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#102 of 247 Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM

Jo.

I'm between the dells and eau Claire.
Super day for a drive, huh?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#103 of 247 Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 PM

We made it home. my girls are snuggled in their beds and life is pretty good. It was a good week away, slightly too long for leah lu. Not awful, she just missed me by the end.

No personals. I've got lots and lots of work to do tonight thanks to blizzard #1 friday (shoveling for kristin as it was too heavy for dh) and then blizzard #2 coming tonight. What's the chance that school is cancelled again tomorrow? Pretty much zero if I don't get my lecture together for 830am.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#104 of 247 Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Yeah, kerc, just glad you made it home. No desire for that stuff anytime soon, and especially mid-April.

Forgive me. Living here makes people weak and losery.

Plady, I would be there in a week if I didn't have the entourage. I would gladly clean up after the chickens, and help you build sets or whatever else you needed. blowkiss.gif

But we'll be OK. I am heading out this morning before we start school, as always. Dd finished her grade 3 math yesterday and ds finished his vocab for the year. Both will finish their grammar lessons no later than next week. As we pare down, one class at a time, this will get more and more relaxed. Between big school projects and major field trips, the first week of May should be the final week of big pressure. That should give us nearly a month of pretty relaxed time before we fly. School-wise, anyway.

BIL is probably done with the 12-hour sleeping thing now, so we will see how it works to do school in a small apartment with a house guest and dh working. I'm sure I'll keep you posted. Ha.

But there is yoga. So I have that. 

#105 of 247 Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

birthday.gif, Jaygee!

Glad you have your girls back, kerc, and that your drive was safe.

We have another snowstorm rolling in, allegedly. It could snow tomorrow, Tuesday, Wednesday, or all three, with accumulation amounts anywhere from nothing to a foot. Yeah, after last week's prediction busts, nobody's committing to anything. rolleyes.gif It did, however, rain here all night last night...which translated to a foot of fresh powder in the mountains, just in time for us to go skiing. joy.gif We met up with the good friends that I skied with a couple of weeks ago and their 5 year old...it was a blast watching the kiddos ski together. Another great day on the mountain, notwithstanding the traffic that we had to sit in coming home.

And now, unfortunately, I seem to be coming down with the plague again. Snot and coughing, good times. Just in time for my three shifts starting tomorrow night. Ugh.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#106 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 AM

Happy Birthday Kristina!!!

No RR for this weekend, but I did 1) yard work, 2) finger / keyboard crunches to finish taxes on time, 3) a million steps up and down to basement for way too much backlogged laundry, 4) multiple games of zombie tag, etc.  so I don't feel too slothlike.

A rare work at home day, yoga cancelled so I'm hoping for a walk mid morning maybe.....

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#107 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Hey. Hope everyone here is ok, and all their running friends too.  Watching coverage of the Boston Marathon and just in shock. :(

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#108 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

mecry.gif

#109 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 02:53 PM

jaw.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#110 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM

mecry.gifpraying.gif

Cannot speak/write. Too close to home, literally.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

I am waiting to hear from my friends. Cellphone service is shut down in the Boston metro area. Please pray. Thanks. 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#111 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Shock.

Nic, google put up a people finder, but if cell service is out, then people likely won't be able to get that either.
#112 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM

grouphug.gif

candle.gif

Sending out my thoughts to Dingos and all runners far and near

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#113 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Well, the day started off good - I actually got in my first run in ages.

But, now I am stunned. Devastated. Nic, I'm so glad you checked in.

bawling.gif

grouphug.gif

candle.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#114 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM

I'm still shocked by the news out of Boston. greensad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

What's the chance that school is cancelled again tomorrow? Pretty much zero if I don't get my lecture together for 830am.
So true. I'm thinking the same holds true if I wait too long to pack R's lunch.

mommajb--sorry I missed you while in California. On the other hand, we didn't rent a car and for that matter, didn't have any free time whatsoever between the hours of 6:30 am and midnight, basically.

We got back from Disneyland yesterday, just in time for the temperature to drop and it to start snowing again. The trip was fun but in light of the news out of Boston posting about it seems inappropriate. Instead, I'm going to run on the treadmill (J, shockingly, is still awake at 10:48 pm. Yes, I did let her nap today thinking she was exhausted from the trip. Oops.).

Also, happy birthday JayGee! I hope it was good.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#115 of 247 Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM

gloomy.gif Oh, Boston. 

Went out for about an hour and a half this morning, thinking about it the entire time. I wanted to run but couldn't. Temps were already mid-80s and humidity around 70%. But I listened to a wonderful podcast, On Being with Krista Tippett, with Rep. John Lewis, on nonviolence. It was uplifting at the right moment.

#116 of 247 Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

gloomy.gif Oh, Boston. 

Went out for about an hour and a half this morning, thinking about it the entire time. I wanted to run but couldn't. Temps were already mid-80s and humidity around 70%. But I listened to a wonderful podcast, On Being with Krista Tippett, with Rep. John Lewis, on nonviolence. It was uplifting at the right moment.

Thinking of you, too, with news of this earthquake.

And how we all pull together in times of tragedy. candle.gif

My mom called me in a panic yesterday - these kinds of things really upset her, and she needs to reach out and talk, but lives so far from any of us. I wish we could convince her to move closer.

Nick, I didn't even know about your close call in Israel - this must be so horribly traumatizing. I hope you can process it all - have a good run.

I'm thinking of all my dingo friends today grouphug.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#117 of 247 Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 AM

Thinking of all my Dingos and runners everywhere.  Praying that the powers that be move with thoughtfulness and precision in tracking down the perpetrators instead of creating ways to fuel the hate that's out there for us. I'm wearing my SF Mary shirt today. 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#118 of 247 Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

gloomy.gif Oh, Boston... But I listened to a wonderful podcast, On Being with Krista Tippett, with Rep. John Lewis, on nonviolence. It was uplifting at the right moment.

I listened to that podcast, too. Agreed.

Emotionally shattered... Can hardly wrap my mind around it. A marathon... Boston... a dream come true... What kind of person would shatter a dream? Running unites us at the Dingo cafe. Running is a medium for support, peace, love. It's like blowing up the very hearts that hold the world. My very favorite moments from a marathon come from the random encouragement along the way. Setting off a bomb at the end of the Boston Marathon is like trying to extinguish a soul. And then setting off another one after medics have arrived is like ... nevermind... sorry. I should probably delete...

Looking for the light...

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#119 of 247 Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Looking for the light here too, Lofty...

I toured a private school today. Beautiful facility, foreign language starting at kindergarten, strings and piano taught during the school day, an art room and a choir. All things our public school will not have or never even had in the first place. Now to afford the price tag. It's inexpensive compared to east coast private school prices, but still a chunk of cash. Still thinking and discussing with DH.

No run since my Sunday birthday 3 miler, but definitely doing kettlebells tomorrow evening.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#120 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 AM

So dh was watching the news and we talked about it before I left this morning. We were both a little worked up. As dh said, marathons are family and community events. Anyone attacking it wants to attack families and communities (and did). There was a fantastic piece in Jezebel about marathon spectators and what kind of people they are. I cried and then listened to President Obama extol the responses of the people and guests of Boston and that made me cry too, and then the light at the crosswalk turned red and I started to run, and I ran today instead of walking.

And it made me realize how good running is for my whole self, and I think maybe I need to think about an event again at some point. All told, I went about 10km this morning, about half run and half walked, and I think I can at least get back to running a 10K within a couple of months. I have some ambitious treasure map goals, and this just plays into the whole quite perfectly.

And I thought of you all the whole time. You're inspiring and compassionate women.

The earthquake here was minor here. I mean, we're far enough from the epicenter. Lots of evacuated buildings but no known damage. Dh was driving and didn't even feel it. It did seem to stir up my vertigo, though, a minor annoyance.

JayGee, the school issue would have me feeling stumped. I support public schools, and I feel the guilt Plady mentioned a while back related to the decision whether to participate in them. I know that the school we are using is a part of the whole big mess of the decline, but since we're using private school funding (through the compensation package) I can sort of feel better about it, I suppose, but that feels like rationalization. Public schools are for the benefit of all, and whether or not we use them, the better they are the more we all benefit. I know you know and embrace this, and I just really feel the spot you're in. If you can do better for your own kids, that's your responsibility as a parent. But what about all the other citizens who don't equate an educated populace with a better life for all? How do the people who got their way in the referendum feel about the cuts and their future consequences? Or do they just not think that far? Ugh. Anyway, I know you'll find ways to get your kids a balanced education, whether you make it up in extracurriculars and family activities or you find a private school. Hugs.

I had a minor upheaval in my day today, when I came home from the supermarket and discovered someone had fiddled with my fridge settings and the stuff in the freezer was thawed. So while I was scrubbing out my fridge figuring out what to cook it all into, eyeing my pressure cooker and all that, I thought about something I'd read in the reports. Articles about "How to Make a B@mb in Your Mom's Kitchen," and I could only think how much better of we'd be if the message were "How to Go Do Something Good With Yourself and Get the Hell out of Your Mom's Kitchen."

And so, where I was sad, now I am pretty angry I guess. So maybe I should run a marathon. Maybe everyone should.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page