No foolin'! Dingos are running through April! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone.

Thank G-d, all my friends and acquaintances are physically safe. However the girl who was killed, Krystal, was an ex-girlfriend of my friend's first cousin -- someone who had been at a lot of family events. There truly are way fewer than 6 degrees of separation. So, mourning her, and the little guy and his family, and the as-yet-unknown third casualty.

I didn't get to the treasure map. I bought all the stuff and then things just happened and I couldn't get to it. I"m feeling rather sad about it. greensad.gif I suppose on the up side I have a bunch of great magazines to read. You know, in my spare time.

I'm thinking today that the question of whether doing Boston as a charity runner or waiting to qualify is not nearly as significant as it was a few weeks ago. And I'm thinking that running Boston next year as a charity runner in no way would take away from the accomplishment, if and when I ever do qualify based on speed. And I'm thinking that running boston next year -- or volunteering -- would be a significant way to make a statement about the resilience and spirit of running and the importance of not allowing evil to triumph. What think the Dingoes?

JayGee, I can't even speak about the failure of your referendum without getting upset and angry. What is WRONG with people?! UGH. 

Jo, blowkiss.gif. You always know how to say things just the way I think them. Hope we get to see each other this summer.

RR: 6 yesterday, for Boston, for the 4/15/13 Boston Memorial Run. 6.25 today with a friend, for the national Run For Boston. I wore my Disney marathon race shirt with a black armband to school yesterday and felt slightly foolish, but the kids asked me about it and I explained why I thought it was important. Dh of course, told me I looked ridiculous and laughed at me. irked.gif gloomy.gif  Which made me want to do it more.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#122 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Nic - you can still do it!! The first two weeks still have fairy dust to them! I think this horrible event crystalized a lot for some, as Jo's post so eloquently conveyed, and you can use those magazines to reflect that goodvibes.gif in your mourning

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#123 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

I wore my Disney marathon race shirt with a black armband to school yesterday and felt slightly foolish, but the kids asked me about it and I explained why I thought it was important. Dh of course, told me I looked ridiculous and laughed at me. irked.gif  gloomy.gif   Which made me want to do it more.
Oh, NIC. I heartbeat.gif you. I am so glad you're okay and your friends and my heart breaks for Boston. The fact that your dh said you looked ridiculous and you wore it anyway makes me love you more. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

And so, where I was sad, now I am pretty angry I guess. So maybe I should run a marathon. Maybe everyone should.

This is the same direction my thoughts are taking me. I plan on going out for a run today and I'm not going to time it or measure it but just go until I've cleared my mind and purged a bit. I hope I'm really sore later.

TJSMAMA, love the weather you're getting! I listen to Morning Edition on KCFR 90.1 every morning. I have to stream it on my phone which is connected to speakers and this is how we get our news every day. Denver has one of the strongest signals for the time frame I want to hear the news. So, every time it says something like snow or gives a cold temp, my boys will jokingly get really excited. Occasionally my dh forgets and gets excited, too. Anyway for a snow bunny like you, it must be heavenly right now!

JG, I'm so sorry. I feel just heartbroken for you and your kids. I do hope a door is opened that will be brighter and full of unimaginable good opportunities.

For all of you who remember my two months of sleeping 10-12 hours a day, I am continually amazed that it has completely gone and I am back to my normally energetic self. I fully expected it to last a year or more but it's just gone. Poof. Let there be hope.

There was more, but now it's gone...

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#124 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM

hey do you guys know this feature?  down to the lower right  ----> if shows who's viewing the thread right now.

JO, plady, loftmama and sparkle.

grouphug.gif

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#125 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Morning mamas,

Just reading and nodding along here.

Nic - All I can think is, Why is it so hard for him to be supportive?  What does he think it will cost him?  That and, hammer.gifAnd I'm glad you wore it anyway.  I wore mine and I was surprised not to get a single comment. 

I wonder what the no voters think too.  Are they all living so close to the edge of losing everything that $35 a year is truly too much to bear?  That's really the only excuse I can think of to be so cynical and short-sighted.  And I think of this video and how we're all probably a lot closer to the left end of the graphic than we like to think.

I'm deep into tech hell with Into the Woods and my old irritation with actors is resurfacing as they tend to trot around seemingly without any understanding of how hard the crew is working to make them look good.  Dh was asking me if after months of nightly rehearsals if I've made new friends and I realized that although I'm friendly with the other actors, it's the builders and painters that I'd choose to hang out with if given the choice.  So I guess I made the right choice way back when I switched majors,  but it makes me a little sad because I do love to sing and act in musicals.  I'll just keep trying to set a good example and also not attack anyone I catch bitching about being inconvenienced by the crew.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#126 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Plady - actually the amount of increase would have been a lot more than $35 for our referrendum. It would have cost my family $520 more per year on top of our $9100 current tax bill. I can see why people voted against it, particularly people without kids in school, to be honest. Bec, are you dealing with school funding issues too? The main problem is that the state is only paying us 80% of the promised state aid, which leaves the district $1.4 million short . Of course, Illinois is bankrupt, so lots of other districts are finding themselves in the same situation. It's awful, all around.

Jo - what you wrote is totally what is going through my mind regarding abandoning the public system. And about the kids who CAN'T afford to leave. The world seems so messed up at times.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#127 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM

JG, Freudian slip? My Spanish-speaking students used to mutter that word (in Spanish) under their breath. winky.gif

Just finished a run - longer than usual - still thinking about the hard work that goes into training for a marathon.

#128 of 247 Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

JG, Freudian slip? My Spanish-speaking students used to mutter that word (in Spanish) under their breath. winky.gif

Just finished a run - longer than usual - still thinking about the hard work that goes into training for a marathon.

Ack!  That's what I get for not proofreading!

Kettlebells done, and we ran in between sets, so I did run today :).  Tomorrow morning I will run with a new running group from the Y.  Looking forward to it.

#129 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Ugh - thunderstorms and lots of rain falling, expecting a LOT more today. Keeping my fingers crossed that our basement doesn't flood again. Everything is stored safely down there but I don't think I can handle that again so soon.

#130 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Shanti--fingers crossed for you!

loftmama--you can have the snow and cold. It's cold and miserable and I am d-o-n-e with cold by mid-April. It was 15 degrees out on my way to jury duty this morning. cold.gif It's all of 30 now, but at least the sun is warming things up.

JayGee--I think it's perfectly acceptable to defend public education and champion support for more funding while sending your kids to a private school. There's nothing saying your children need to be victims here anymore than you would feed them less at dinner because you're sending money to the local food bank or something.

What I object to are the people who send their children to private school and then complain about paying school taxes because they could care less if everyone else gets a substandard education so they can keep all their tax dollars to themselves (i.e., "I'm sending my child to X religious school so they can be taught with values and we think it's worth every penny and we think we should have vouchers to support the values we're instilling in our children"....which ignores that they made the choice to do that and that hello, I also instill values in my children but think they can learn ethics and morals and the tenants of our religion without attending a religious school, thankyouverymuch). Unfortunately, if Illinois funds the way Colorado does, the district will lose that per-pupil money because your children aren't enrolled, but you're hardly the cause of the major budget shortfall. (I know that sounds weird and the private school parents I know argue that because they pay in they're "losing" money [just like people without kids? I really think of taxes as "paying back" my education], but my child's school is currently funded by a once-a-year headcount. Sometimes the state releases additional "discretionary" money that the district can dispense as it sees fit, but our major funding model is per-pupil.) Anyhow, don't feel guilty.

RR: none yesterday, hopefully 3 today.

NRR: The sinus infection is getting worse and I seem to have picked up pink eye (!!!!) on top of it. I suspected it last night and woke up with the eye crusted shut. eyesroll.gif That made jury duty lovely this morning. I called my dr's office as soon as they released us but my dr is out sick and another dr is also out sick so they had no appointments available and suggested urgent care. I asked if someone could just call in a prescription for the pink eye drops to at least take care of that. I'm getting a lot of drainage on that side, and if we could at least resolve that maybe the rest would improve? Also, R's recital is tonight. Hopefully I can fit the short run in, especially because I already put off my speedwork in favor of sleep. Maybe I should give up on the sub-4 goal? greensad.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#131 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We're contemplating sending DD to a state STEM school next year.  (Whose funding status isn't charter, it's not private, but state-funded in a way that hopefully I'll figure out next week at an info session)

We'll still vote to support the school levy because my future will be better if I'm living in a country with an educated citizenry.

#132 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

We'll still vote to support the school levy because my future will be better if I'm living in a country with an educated citizenry.

Not to mention, kids in the community are kid-peers. This is the reason to be supportive, no matter what. I have always drawn the line at being a homeschool parent who runs a state school board as the one in my state has for many, many, many years bringing his personal/private reasons for homeschool to curriculum development which also affects the rest of the country because publishers generally listen to $. soapbox.gif But if I was asked to run for school board, would it be right? It seems like I can be supportive of the public school by being financially supportive and an active voter and voice, but I don't know about being on the board. What do you think? I wonder if other states/districts have private school/homeschool families on the school board. Not that I'm considering it - just wondering if I'm being a bit narrow-minded.

Immense amount of rain today. Brought a wonderful cold front. Unbelievable to have weather in the 30s the next 2 nights during mid-April. Bummer for those of you who are done, though. No workout today, but scheduling run and weights again for tomorrow. I'm actually putting it in my phone and setting an alarm. Hope that helps.

#133 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM

On Levy voting. My husband, "you are voting to educate the people who will bring your meds and change your diapers in the nursing home. Do you want those pills every 8 hours and a diaper change every 6 ?"

#134 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

On Levy voting. My husband, "you are voting to educate the people who will bring your meds and change your diapers in the nursing home. Do you want those pills every 8 hours and a diaper change every 6 ?"

Indeed, kerc. I wish the people where I live thought that way. What infuriates me most is that I know of several parents of children IN the district who voted "No" because "my kids don't do band or sports, so it won't effect them". I just cannot wrap my mind around that attitude at all.

lofty - I think you'd make a wonderful addition to any school board. Many of our school board members do not have children in the district, but they realize that education effects everyone. Well, except for the two new guys who got voted onto the board in the same election. They are all about cut, cut, cut and think that kids just need math, reading, science and social studies. The 3Rs and the arts be damned. Grrr....

#135 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 PM

gah school funding.

stem school geofizz? sounds intriguing. although a part of me wishes one of your kids would totally rebel and say I totally hate math/physics/engineering/chemistry and I'm going to become a poet. Because it would be fun to watch.  from a distance. because I like watching rebellion. as long as I don't have to confront it.

<stupid work politics. occupied my whole freaking day. how many days until summer?>

#136 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Kerc, summer is just around the corner. And you are likely going to be so busy the next month you will hardly see it coming.

Real, the pinkeye-jury duty combo actually made me laugh. A sort of Universe-what-are-you-thinking laugh filled with empathy, I hope you know. I hope it clears fast because that sucks.

Shanti, how is the basement? How are you?

JayGee, real is right, of course. Just because you feel guilty doesn't mean you should. And lofty, I think the one requirement for a school board member is to support the very concept of PS. For the reason kerc cites if no other, but preferably for reasons more altruistic as well.

Plady, your description of cast and crew politics...wow. I hope to get into CT someday, but I guess I always thought cast would have to do at least some crew duties. Yikes. I just read Water for Elephants and the description of separation between performers and workers is like whoah.

It's kind of a madhouse here. Dh is irritated and feeling spurned because I refuse to you-know-what in our small apartment with BIL in the next room. Bright side, my irritation is being channeled into writing.

Now I am finishing up my coffee and running for the door. We expect a high of 104 today and we are taking ds' s friend along for prayers, and going to the big mosque. Long, hot day ahead.
#137 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
But if I was asked to run for school board, would it be right? It seems like I can be supportive of the public school by being financially supportive and an active voter and voice, but I don't know about being on the board. What do you think? I wonder if other states/districts have private school/homeschool families on the school board. Not that I'm considering it - just wondering if I'm being a bit narrow-minded.

It really depends. We've had homeschooling parents run for the boards of various districts and they have almost uniformly been anti-public education. Some have basically said that the schools stink and more parents should homeschool (as in "it's your civic duty"); others want to rid the curriculum of things they find problematic, like comprehensive sex ed or evolution. Others just want to push vouchers for private schools and homeschooling and their answer to "but what are the kids in public school left with?" is that they should homeschool or "take responsibility" and put kids in a private school. Mind you, the homeschooling parents most likely to run are not the ones doing the actual homeschooling and by in large are conservative white males from Colorado Springs or other particularly right-wing parts of the state. I've not, for example, seen any of the homeschoolers from the Boulder area run for school board.

Most of the homeschooling parents I know IRL in Colorado will vote for mill levies but aren't supportive otherwise. One, a former teacher, said she doesn't think any kind of "mass-produced" education can be any good. She thinks the only good education is to homeschool. Obviously, not a good school board candidate. I can respect that for her and her children, it's the best model, but I can't respect the notion that we can't provide a good education to children whose parents don't have the option of opting out, while understanding that there will always be budget and space and time constraints.

Beyond that, it might still be a hard sell unless you were previously a teacher in the district or your kids had been enrolled but, like JayGee, you pulled them because the budget cuts would gut their education. It's not that I don't think a homeschooler can do a job, but rather than I prefer my board members have an investment: namely a child or grandchild at a public school in the district so they are very much aware of how their decisions affect the students. ETA: Again, not that a homeschooling parent couldn't do a good job, but given the extreme right-wing opinions of some conservatives in Colorado, my gut response would be suspicious until convinced the candidate was genuinely concerned about enhancing my child's education rather than privatizing it or simply cutting everything down to the bare bones in search of lower taxes.

That said, one or two of the people on our state's education committee last year were homeschooling parents, and I'd imagine that's true in other places too.

RR: none yet.

NRR: 3 prescription meds! Drops for the pink eye, and a nasal steroid for my noise and abx for the sinus infection. Yay for the Walgreens clinic, which solved the problem of my drs being sick.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#138 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 PM

Hi Dingo(e)s wave.gif

I'm a "pretty much" single mum of two little ones. I think about going for a run every day but it's been pretty hard to do with the bad weather and not being able to push the kiddies in the stroller. The baby is not in to chilly weather. Now that the weather is improving I think I'll be able to start pushing them for run/walks and getting my endurance up. I also want to start practicing yoga at home, but not sure where to start with that. And I've begun doing just random exercises throughout the day so that I can feel the burn and be sore the next day.

I'm coming off of years of mostly inactivity and am looking to get fit and strong like I used to be. 

Nice to meet you all (I've lurked for a while) and I'll post when I can, though usually I've got just enough time to read on my phone.

#139 of 247 Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 PM

Welcome thispathisme!

I have angst about sending my DD to a public "program of choice" and possible diminishment of the neighborhood school. Some of the angst is about how the other parents have such self-congratulation about the home learning component and fail to see the privilege that exists in our school. Yet it's the best choice for right now for my daughter.

Shanti, I hope you're flood-free!

real, get well soon!

I'm still reading along on my phone. New computer is due to arrive Monday, though I'm hoping for tomorrow.

I am reading "Born to Run", and was at a section about love of running and love of life and humanitarianism among runners when Boston happened. It's good for my soul as a reminder of what is good in the world and the world of running.

This week's runs were swapped for a hike with my husband on Tuesday and a short-call day shift today. I'm hoping for a run-heavy bootcamp tomorrow to compensate.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#140 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 AM

Welcome, thispathisme! 

Holy crap. Most of Boston and immediate suburbs is on lockdown. I cannot wrap my mind around this week.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#141 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 AM

Welcome!

April 20. I was a day ahead of myself. April 19 is so much better.
No school for kiddos.

Note: it's still snowing.
Maybe I'll get in a ski this afternoon.

I have to work tonight for a special science night event we put on at work.

#142 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 AM

Hugs, Nic.

And I am looking at this pair of Chechen suspects and feeling very much an "oh, no." disappointed.gif A la thisbanghead.gif

I ran again this morning. One would think I am returning to running. One might be right. I am pushing toward a regular routine of running in the mornings and 2x weekly yoga at night. If I added 2x more yoga, this would be perfect. It's these days only dropping to 80 or so overnight, so I have to get a little earlier to really avoid the burn of the sunshine. I am inching things earlier and I think I can make this sort of work until I get back to the States for summer. And hoping that running comes easy once I get to the cooler temps.

Welcome, thispathisme!

#143 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 AM

Yes, Jo, I understand completely. I had to think twice about wearing my hair covering to work today.

What a world. greensad.gif

Good for you for running! 

Ok, I have to go teach now. More to say, back later.

#144 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Jo, Nic - Yes, that article hit it.  I find myself as anxious that an event like this doesn't spread more hate and more fear for Arabs and Muslims as I feel grief and sadness for those affected.  

Life continues to be awfully busy.  No RR but physical activity for about 14 hours a day so that's something.  Just weighed in at my lowest weight in about 10 years.  I will not now go off on a sugar binge!  I will not!

Time to wake the little ones.

Welcome thispathisme!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#145 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM

I just signed up for a half marathon on June 2nd near where I live and I'm excited about it. And then found out there's a half marathon May 19th near my parents which also might be fun. Is it crazy to run two so close together?

#146 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

I just signed up for a half marathon on June 2nd near where I live and I'm excited about it. And then found out there's a half marathon May 19th near my parents which also might be fun. Is it crazy to run two so close together?

I don't think crazy. Maybe look at one as an "A" race, just so you don't go all-out for both.

Welcome Thispath!!

Oh man, Kerc, the weather is so nuts this spring! Look at all that snow!!

I am slammed at work - sorry I haven't been visiting my Dingo friends more. I am following the school discussion with interest.

RR: I started a swim class on Wednesday and it was lots of fun. Only one measly run this week - slacking! But tomorrow is the first sprint tri of the season and the weather is calling for thunderstorms irked.gif Maybe all the 45-49 y.o. women will stay home in bed winky.gif

crap.gif for the people of Boston. I so wish for a peaceful end to this hopefully with no more violence.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#147 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM

Mel38 - hope you have a great race tomorrow! And I really hope it's warmer where you are than it is here in St. Louis. You couldn't pay me to swim in any body of water today!

Welcome thispathisme!!!

My parents are supposed to be flying to visit us tomorrow. From Boston greensad.gif. Hoping they can still make it here. My aunt and uncle are on lockdown today. Praying for all of Boston.

RR - not so much, at least not since kettlebells on Wednesday. I will run a mile tomorrow morning for the final mile of the kids' Read and Run Marathon at their school.

#148 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 04:36 PM

The thing that's bothering me most is that the connection I see--that the accused are 19 and 26--relates them much more closely to the tragedies at Newtown and Aurora and Littleton and at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois and countless other places. I don't think the problem is their religion. I think the problem has an awful lot to do with being young and male.

Debating on trying to run or just resting another day. Grrr. This should be the peak of my training and instead I've managed a total of 4 miles. Last week I managed a mere 24 miles of running spread over only two runs. Things are slowly improving on the health front. The eyes are returning to their normal shape. The sinus are taking longer to fix but I am seeing some improvements that are probably helped by getting rid of the pink eye. Blech.

So Dingo wisdom: should I try to make up at least the speedwork (10 miles, 8 at tempo pace) and 14M long run this weekend, or try for something easier, like a shorter tempo and 10M or some combo thereof?

#149 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Came home from work yesterday to a flooded basement. Fortunately nothing had to be thrown out this time because of all the work I did in January, just had to wet vac about 2" of water from about one third of the basement. H did some too this time. Woke up this morning to more water so did it again...... hoping no more this season. 

#150 of 247 Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I've joined at a weird time... This tragedy is something I can't stop myself from reading more about but the devastation that's been caused, the lives that are ruined, I can't deal. I'm so sorry for those of you who are so close to the event, physically and by having friends/relatives. And by being runners, it must be hard to decide how to proceed. I've definitely stopped to figure out how I feel about running the next race.

And speaking of sinuses, mine are somehow super full and getting increasingly painful, yet I don't have a single other symptom. I'm not sure what's wrong besides maybe stress and it's manifesting itself in this way?

RR - it rained most of today and then the temp dropped and it was too cold to take the kiddos outside so no running. But I'll get my pushups in.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page