Forum Jump: 

#1 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
~~~~~~~~~~~~jog.gif~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the April 2013 Dingo thread. run.gif

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Jo for the perky opening/mission statement!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#2 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I survived work last night, and might even survive it tonight. DS was still running a fever this morning, so no school for him, but he laid in bed with me for a couple of hours, and then hung out on the couch with OnDemand episodes of Dora bag.gif. Mommy of the year, right here, sigh.

I'm feeling mostly better, too, just tired. And of course, I have to get up early tomorrow, too, although for a good reason...I got an interview for the hospital's loan forgiveness program that could get me several thousand dollars to apply to my student loans. It just stinks that it means I have to get up early after a night shift to get dressed up for it!

Have an awesome trip to Kenya, jo!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#3 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM

Hi. Subbing.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#4 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Subbing banana.gif

Don't sell it short Geo! Sometimes getting the 7 year old to take off the clothes they've had on for 2 days straight feels like a major accomplishment....

Good luck Gaye! and hope you feel better soon so you can go out!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#5 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, but remember that mine comes with his own built-in toy. Sometimes no clothes is a major plateau in the process of getting onesself dressed.

I'm staying inside tonight and going at the sciatica with the roller.
#6 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM

Geo - lol.gif built in toy!!!

Subbing...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#7 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM

lol.gif Built in toy.  Ali G has one of those too and I sometimes wonder if she plays with it at school as much as she plays with it at home.  Oy vey.

Subbing.

Gaye - Good luck with the loan forgiveness, sounds like it's worth waking up for.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#8 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM

lol.gif

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#9 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM

hola.

more later.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#10 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM

Well, as one parent of a naked 7 yo to another, Hello.
Who want to place bets on how long it will take my 14yo to load and start the dishwasher? Hints: 1. She is tired. 2. It has already been 45 minutes. 3. I did the prep dishes, it is just the dining dishes. om.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#11 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM

Subbing. Worked a 12 hour day for stat pay today. Hospital chaos, but all survived and moderately sorted out by the end of the shift.

mommajb, I'll guess another 30 minutes with a side of tears.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#12 of 247 Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM

JayGee--keeping my fingers crossed for the yes team!

goodvibes.gif to everyone who needs healing.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#13 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 AM

jog.gif 2013 Dingo Race List
:

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k, April 5, 2013

loftmama - Hog's Hunt Trail Run, 10K, April 13, 2013

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

tjsmama - Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler, April 28, 2013

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 19, 2013

tjsmama - Colfax 1/2 Marathon, May 19, 2013

Nickarolaberry - Vermont City Marathon, May 26, 2013

Nickarolaberry - Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, June 2, 2013

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Tri, June 22, 2013

bec - Door County Triathlon - Half Ironman, July 21, 2013

tjsmama - Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Olympic distance Saturday, Sprint distance Sunday) on August 17-18, 2013

tjsmama - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013

Nickarolaberry - Goofy Race and a Half Challenge, January 12, 2014

Special dates:

candle.gif September 24, 2012  Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts. stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#14 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 AM

run.gif2013 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

mommajb - Tinkerbell Half, January 20, 2013

mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 26, 2013 - 1:38:46

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K, January 27, 2013

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon, February 10, 2013 - 1:59:47

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k, March 10, 2013 - 41:58

JayGee - AOH 5k - March 10, 2013 - 27:48 (DS's time - 26:53, for his first 5K ever!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon, March 24, 2013

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#15 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

No sugar starting this morning. Not quite Whole 30 yet as I still have a couple of servings of chicken/lentil/potato/coconut milk soup in my fridge and no one else will eat the stuff. I ate plenty of milk chocolate yesterday and decided I won't miss it at all, that stuff is too addictive and not satisfying enough. I will save my stash of dark chocolate for a few weeks from now. I will give away the Diet Coke in my basement. I went 15 years without the stuff quite happily but have been waffling with it for the past year and a half - time to ditch it again. I just have to find time to stock my friegde with stuff to grab on the go - I work through supper tonight and already don't know when I will find time to make something to take. Maybe for today I will put the rest of the soup in a thermos and finish it off today and get more on board with everything tomorrow.

dd learned the first 20 elements of the periodic table last night. I wish I had videotaped the process! lol.gif

#16 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 AM

Built in toy. ROTFLMAO.gifDs has one too. And he is a prefers-to-be-naked 7 year old. 

Seriously considering revamping my marathon plans. The foot is better but not 100%. I have to decide soon. My idea is to scrap VCM, take on a half marathon in June and maybe one in late summer, and work toward Goofy (with Paige) in January. Also saves a lot of $$. Dumb idea?

Mommajb, my 12 year old dd and I had an unfortunate run-in last night over chores. Specifically, putting away her clean clothes rather than leaving them strewn hither and yon. I piled them all up in the middle of her floor, and then when she continued to ignore me, put them in a bag to give away, and she proceeded to have a 2 hour bout of hysterics. She finally did put it all away but not before telling me how mean I am.

Sigh.

Can't win for trying, that's for sure. Feeling pretty down the last few days. Has a lot to do with diet; Passover is hard on me. You wouldn't think it would be since I never eat wheat or wheat products anyway, but because we are Ashkenazi (Jews of European descent) we also don't eat legumes, and this is nearly impossible for me, since that is the mainstay of my diet. I ate eggs this past week for lack of other protein sources that worked and I feel awful both ethically and physically. Yech. Tonight we revert back to normal and it can't come too soon. Ds was having a meltdown this morning for real pancakes (which I usually load up with flax seed for him as he needs the good omegas) and I broke down and gave him a huge ice cream and milk shake for breakfast. Beats matza and cream cheese and he would not eat another egg for love or money.

I said this last year but I really mean it, especially if I can save for a Vitamix...next year during Passover I'm doing a juice fast. Be easier.

RR: 6 yesterday, none yet today.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#17 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 AM

Mel38 - Can you put my race/Ds's race in the results?
March 10 AOH 5K
My time - 27:48
DS time - 26:53 (first 5K ever!)

Nic - I think it sounds like a good idea. No reason to run on a foot that is not 100%.

Shanti - just cutting sugar makes a huge difference. You can do this!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#18 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 AM

Ok, JayGee and Paige convinced me. redface.gif

Mel, can you please take me down for VCM and add instead

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 2nd)

Goofy Race and a Half Challenge (January 12, 2014)

I am going to add in a half and maybe some smaller races during the summer when I can find ones close by that I want to run.

Now to do some financial wizardry to make Goofy happen....goodvibes.gif

#19 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the new thread Gaye! blowkiss.gif

Got it JG - props to your DS for that awesome time in his first 5k!!

Good choice, Nick, it seems the wiser thing to do if the foot isn't 100%.

If I have missed race results or posting any upcoming races, please give me a shout and I'll fix it.

And Welcome.gif Calicocj! tiphat.gif

Whew, I've been a real dongo lately bag.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#20 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 02:06 PM

Subbing! Fell behind due to spring break this week and last. At home but doing some fun stuff and dh took a few days off which always messes up my schedule (not in a bad way).
#21 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

mel~Can you add Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler on April 28 for me? blowkiss.gif Hmm, I should probably work a little harder on training for that. rolleyes.gif

I feel like my DS is odd...he has never been a naked kid, and doesn't show a whole lot of interest in his built in toy. I'm sure that will change as we approach the teenage years, though...

DS was feeling better this morning and not running a fever, so I got home and picked him up to go to school. In the 3 minutes it took to go from home to school, he started feeling crappy again, so we picked up his homework packet and turned around and came home. Sigh. This, of course, resulted in a panicked phone call to the nanny because I had my interview this afternoon, but luckily she was able to come over. DS ended up sleeping the whole four hours I slept with me, and is now laying on the couch watching Sesame Street with a fever back up over 100. I'm supposed to go skiing tomorrow with a friend, but I'm not super optimistic about those odds right now.

The interview, at least, went really well, I thought. I told them straight up that I was coming off of three night shifts and had a sick kiddo at home, so hopefully they would excuse any lapses. redface.gif The questions were tough, but the panel seemed pleased with the answers that I pulled out of my butt. It probably helps that one of the panel members is the coordinator of my new grad program, and another was one of the nurse managers who was at our ceremony last week. The manager put in a plug for me with the rest of the panel that she really enjoyed my project! So, keep your fingers crossed for me! I should hear sometime next week.

#22 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM

Gaye - Hope ds feels better!

Nic - I was just reading Consumer Reports and they rated the Ninja as highly as the Vitamix.  I think the only thing they said it didn't do that the VM did was to heat food up.  Just in case you're looking to save a couple 100 bucks.  Good call on the races.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#23 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Nic, sounds like a good choice about the marathon. And the vitamix and Passover juice fast. The New York Times (I think?) had an article about vegan Passover and a recipe from Mayim Bialik.

tjsmama, fingers crossed for you. I hope tj is feeling better soon, too!

My 6 1/2 year old MacBook is dying or dead and I've spent half the day trying to restore it. All of my important stuff is backed up, but I need a working computer and a new one isn't in the budget right now. My even older Mac laptop is still functional for basic work but doesn't have wireless, and our modem is in my husband's home office (my home work space is in our bedroom). Fingers crossed that the big guns of erasing and re-installing everything works...

That's about all I can manage after working from my iPad all day. I miss a real keyboard!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#24 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

That's about all I can manage after working from my iPad all day. I miss a real keyboard!

you can bluetooth a keyboard to an ipad.

just saying.

I'm beyond tired. and my family hasn't yet loaded the dishwasher.

nor do I have my stuff together for tomorrow.

so no other personals.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#25 of 247 Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Nic--the Goofy Challenge sounds awesome. I would like to do that one day, but it will have to wait until the kids are 4 or 5 years older. Among other things, if I'm going to DW it means we'll all be going and J need to be old enough to remember it.

tjsmama--hope the interview went well and everyone feels better in the morning.

I should be heading to the gym to bike or working on the PowerPoint part of my presentation or even better, cutting my paper down because it is too long, as always. It wasn't even finished until last night, but somehow I managed to write too much. Go figure.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#26 of 247 Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 AM

Dongo here!

But I am in Africa. Just try wiping the smile off my face.

I just ate crocodile, ostrich, and something not-so-mysteriously named "ox b@ll $." And passionfruit sorbet.

Tomorrow, Maasai village and game drive.
#27 of 247 Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 AM

I would not, could not eat an oxball. yikes2.gif

Have fun - that trip sounds incredible!!

Sooo... this Goofy Challenge, huh? It sounds awesome! Nic, Paige... who else is doing that?

Gaye, sorry about your sick DS, and the ski trip, too. What's the interview for?

MelW: that is a drag with your laptop. I hope the reinstall fixes things.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#28 of 247 Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 AM

Fly-by to announce the most disastrous day of 'Pit' yesterday. Day started bleh and then a big dark cloud moved in (to my head) that I couldnt shake. Debated skipping class, but persevered: cried on my bike to class, cried in an empty hallway crouched on the floor until I could pull myself together enough to go to class, then sat with 2 wads of tissue in my hands staring at the floor for the first 20 minutes of class until I could make an exit without starting to cry again. There are 10 people in the class in a circle. I was the elephant in the room (and not just b/c Ive gained 400 lbs in the past 3 weeks). Email from Prof. later about her "concern". I was determined to quit the program last night, and trying to figure out how to do it without closing every last door.

Today is better. Not Better, but better than above. I dont feel like quitting as much, or at least I think I can muddle through the next 6 weeks/2 projects, but I am sincerely afraid of committing to teaching next year. On 'good' days Im excited/scared, on bad days, there is no way. Im feeling like I should hedge my bets and just compete the M.A. but maybe not with teaching experience. Stupid, I know, but this is a new frontier and I just dont know how much I can take on.

Meanwhile, RM, how old are you. Could the f.a.t. be hormone related, b/c I just got the "spare beach floaty" and then some in the last 2 months! And I am not eating much and exercising hard. It sucks, in no uncertain terms, and not just because of vanity, which certainly has its place, but b/c of powerlessness in the face of biology. I could have written your post; I already eat clean and exercise. There isnt anywhere to go with this but "acceptance" puke.gifrolleyes.gif

Jo - Have a WONDERFUL WONDERFUL time!!!! (I dream of going to Africa)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#29 of 247 Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 AM

hug.gif Sparkle, I hope today is better. Don't worry about figuring it all out right at this moment.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#30 of 247 Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks Mel; problem is, I have to tell them by April 15 if I dont want it, and waiting this long is pretty lame, as some prospective MA students for next year make their decision based on getting a TA-ship or not. I am taking someone's slot. Yes, I suck, I suck, I suck...........

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page