Kettlebells safe while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd really like to get back to exercising, and kettlebell workouts are my favorite. Convenient, can do it at home, already have the weight, plus it's such a good workout. But I'm 6 weeks pregnant. Can I go back to using the kettlebell? If so, for how long?

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#2 of 3 Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I guess the question is, what's the concern?

Kettlebells are weights, and kettlebell workouts, like any workouts, can be high intensity. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, here's what I'd advise:
- feel free to keep up your usual workouts for now, but listen to your body. Don't push it if you don't feel well. Now is not the time to up the weight or intensity of your workouts.
- pregnant women's bodies produce a lot of relaxin, a hormone that makes your ligaments extra stretchy, which helps your pelvis change shape the way it needs to when you carry and birth a baby. The downside here is that relaxin doesn't make your muscles any stretchier. Be careful not to pull anything.
- watch your hydration.

As far as I know, you can keep working out as long as you want. I jogged until the seventh month if my uncomplicated pregnancy, and stopped largely because the sidewalks got icy. I felt way better that pregnancy then I did the time they put me on bedrest (for a placental positioning issue, so not like I was resting because I was sick). I saw a woman at the gym yesterday who had to be about 7 months pregnant, and she looked fab.
#3 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome, thanks. I really just had no idea, because I never exercised during any of my previous pregnancies (always been naturally thin, so I got lazy, LOL). I'd heard there were some exercises not good for pregnancy, and didn't know what they'd be or why.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page