I cannot stop gaining weight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

cross-posted to Breastfeeding beyond infancy

In the first year after my son was born, I lost all the baby weight + 10 lbs. This was good because I started my pregnancy 20 lbs overweight. I decided I wouldn't worry too much about the last 10 lbs because I know some women struggle to lose weight while breastfeeding, so I thought maybe I would lose it when I (eventually) stopped breastfeeding, but I was happy with being below my pre-pregnancy weight.

Then I went back to work and gained 10 lbs in that first year. I thought, "Oh well. I guess I wasn't meant to be below my pre-pregnancy weight after all." My friends commiserated by telling me that they also gained weight when  they weaned their children around a year, and I said, "That's interesting, but my son is still breastfeeding, and I am still gaining weight."

I tried to be more intentional about my diet and making sure that I only ate when I was hungry and I tried to eat only healthy (whole, unprocessed) foods. That was a year ago and I have gained another 10+ lbs since then. 

I am actively TTC now, after a miscarriage in January. I managed to gain only 2 lb during my 11 week pregnancy. Since my pregnancy, I have tried following a vegetarian diet and I gained 3 lbs. I have also been a lot more active lately, but it is HARD because I feel so out of shape. Everything takes extra effort.

I am thinking of making a doctor's appointment to get some hormone levels checked to see if something is out of whack. But do you think it could be from breastfeeding my 3-year-old? I am reluctant to even share that fact with my doctor because he encouraged me to wean him around a year and we haven't discussed it since (although when my son had an ear infection at 13 months and nursed non-stop for 3 days, the doctor told me how great it was that he was nursing to stay hydrated and comforted and getting antibodies and probiotics from me--this was months after he told me to wean him because there was no value in nursing past 1 year).  I am ready for my son to wean, but my son is clearly not ready and there is not much more I can do about that. He nurses about 3 times/day for about 30 minutes each time--waking up, going to sleep, and after work when we are reunited (this is the shortest session).

I am reluctant to make drastic changes to my diet because I am worried it will affect my milk and/or fertility.

Should I make the appointment or will it lead to more frustration?

Have other people experienced this weight gain while nursing a toddler? What did you do about it?

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!
***4***8***12******20***24***28***32***36***40
 12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#2 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How would you describe how you are eating now? Without "dieting"?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#3 of 6 Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

How would I describe my diet? As I said, I try to eat less processed foods, but I do eat a lot of bread because I eat sandwiches--peanut butter and banana, fried egg (not egg salad), hummus and vegetables.

I have mostly stopped eating chicken and beef until I can find a source of grass-fed beef and organic free range chicken, so lately I have been getting lentil wraps and salad from the local Turkish restaurant for lunch and I make sweet potato enchiladas with whole wheat tortillas as well. I always use whole wheat bread, and whenever possible, it is whole grain.

I have also started to make oatmeal from quick oats instead of instant. I add apples, raisins, cinnamon, and sometimes frozen blueberries. I was sweetening with brown sugar or honey, but yesterday and today I tried using fruit juice instead.

I love smoothies made of frozen fruit and yogurt, but lately I've been buying the Arthur's Carrot Energizer because I heard that carrot juice helps with the production of fertile quality cervical fluid. This is what I am now using to sweeten oatmeal and plain yogurt.

I do eat yogurt (usually organic and probiotic 2-3% MF plain, but sometimes vanilla, which I buy for my son) and cheese. 

I eat more fruit than vegetables, but I do try to get vegetables in whenever I can (i.e., on my sandwiches or as sides). I love soups, especially squash soup, carrot soup, sweet potato soup.

I tend to eat fish on weekends when I go out for supper--this is usually served with rice and veggies, but sometimes mashed potatoes instead of rice.

I don't generally drink anything other than water and green tea (except for the smoothies, of course).

My weakness is chocolate. I tend to eat 3-4 squares of Lindt 85% dark chocolate every day when I am at work. Or dark chocolate covered almonds, or both. I know I should cut down on that, but when I stopped eating chocolate cold turkey for lent last year, I ended up eating so much other junk that--yes, I gained weight. I really can't seem to get through the workday without it. At least I am not allowing myself to eat milk chocolate anymore (although I had too much at Easter this year). Once I start eating milk chocolate, I cannot stop until it is all gone.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!
***4***8***12******20***24***28***32***36***40
 12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#4 of 6 Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 PM

LOVE turkish food.

I'm the same with chocolate! But dark chocolate aint bad, dont think that's what causes the weight gain...

I would cut bread (and most carbs) altogether and see how it goes! On another thread a user suggested lettuce (to wrap stuff in, like chicken salad, chili, etc) It's crunchy and refreshing, sooo good and healthy (I use romain heart). I only started losing weight when i started eating soups, salads, and cutting back on cheese and carbs...

Good luck!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#5 of 6 Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'd suggest reducing the amount of fruit/juice you eat. All that sugar is probably contributing, it certainly does with me.

I'd also suggest measuring your portions, at least for a while. It is a bit of a pain but it's so easy to add just one more spoonful of rice or yoghurt or whatever and all those extras add up very quickly. I use my half cup measure for most things and just use it like a serving spoon to scoop things up.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 6 Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM

I think it sounds like quite a bit of grains and sugar (from the fruit and chocolate). It may be helpful to cut back on the grains, maybe just one meal with grains. And chocolate is good but remember that 4 squares is like 250 cals. That is a lot of extra cals! Try having only one square, two at the most, and then drink a glass of water or brush your teeth to break the craving. I also highly recommend measuring everything like a previous poster mentioned. The calories do add up fast!

ETA- When you do measure your portions, check out http://myfitnesspal.com to enter what you've eaten into a journal that calculates exactly how many calories, how much fat, carbs, etc. Super helpful and will likely shock you! When I first used it I discovered I was eating about 2300 cals a day and OMG SO MUCH FAT (I love nuts, butter, etc). I was nursing a then 6 month old, but at least I realized why I wasn't losing weight! Through some trial and error I discovered I need to get at about 2000-2100 cals a day to keep up with nursing a 15 month old, be moderately active, not feel starving but still be able to lose weight slowly. You also didn't mention your activity level, but I would also say to aim to incorporate more movement. I went through a spell where I wasn't able to exercise at all but just making the choice to walk to run errands daily, take the stairs, etc really really made a difference. Every little calorie counts!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page