May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My RP recently started having her almost 9 year old boy see a psychologist. They are seeing a different child after the first month of therapy, with a huge amount of distance to go. She'd describe her son in a similar way you describe yours. They got multiple recommendations, including from their ped, me, and another friend (the one we're cultivating as another RP to form a RG...) She interviewed 3-4 people and picked one that seemed to get what they were describing when discussing their son, and the one that seemed the best fit personality wise. It was a time consuming process, and they started and stopped several times along the way, and now she's kicking herself they didn't get it started sooner. A year ago they made huge gains with this same son by start Tae Kwan Do at a center that focuses on the self, responsibility, and self control.
#302 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

We had a bbq last night for a bunch of friends.  It's the last weekend everyone will be home before we lose the backyard to construction.  That is, assuming that the permit process goes smoothly enough.  Everyone last night had opinions about cabinets and counter tops. I'm overwhelmed. 

What? What did I miss here? New kitchen? mudroom?

So much has happened in just under a week.

We have a pre-meeting with an intake counselor for Erin on Thursday. Leah the following week. Why why why can't they do these meetings WITHOUT the kids?  How will we know if they're a good fit?

Also Leah might have worse eyesight than me. Eye doc on Tuesday.

Super fun camping weekend. Back today because Erin has work to do and frankly it felt right to come home today.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#303 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

What? What did I miss here? New kitchen? mudroom?

So much has happened in just under a week.
We have a pre-meeting with an intake counselor for Erin on Thursday. Leah the following week. Why why why can't they do these meetings WITHOUT the kids?  How will we know if they're a good fit?

Also Leah might have worse eyesight than me. Eye doc on Tuesday.

Super fun camping weekend. Back today because Erin has work to do and frankly it felt right to come home today.

Mud + laundry room and doubling the kitchen.

I insist on no kids at the premeeting for exactly that reason. I'm blunt- we're talking about DD because of significant concerns and issues. I'm interviewing you as much as you're gathering information about my child. To protect my child's psyche, we will be doing this first meeting without her. Further assessment can happen once I'm relatively certain we'll proceed.

Why a councilor for Leah?
#304 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Sparkle, x-posted with you. I have two friends who have had similar conversations with me about their kids. In both situations, each boy saw a homeopath and a psychologist. In one of those situations, the boy was also pulled out of public school and put into an eco-minded school which only meets 4 days a week (M-Th) and where he is outside for a huge portion of the day. Both moms have raved about the differences but the homeopath/outdoorsy school made a total turnaround. No kidding. More time outdoors. Less time indoors. Counseling. Homeopath. More focused kids. Not kidding. - total turn around. These are just anecdotes. I don't know if part of it is age, too...? (eta: bc I mentioned counseling at the end as if it was insignificant but it also played an important role so went back to the beginning and included it.)

Kerc, thought about you camping. Glad it was fun. Good luck with the intake meeting.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#305 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Why a councilor for Leah?

We see it as a SUPER short term thing, but essentially think she needs a counselor to help process being the little sister to Erin.

But also self esteem issues and friendship issues.

#306 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Lofty - this a.m. we took the kids and dogs to the river and as usual, DS was exuberant and well-behaved. I told Dh, semi-joking, that he needs to just live in a tent community, or on a ranch, where he is outdoors all the time and has chores. Whenever we go backpacking, he is great, and loves to do the work (pump water, set up and take-down tents, etc.). He is very focused - that was the other thing the teacher said: amazing focus, but poor social skills shrug.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#307 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 04:27 PM

This is all very helpful.

What am I looking for? What do you ask potential counselors (i.e. what are you assessing for when you interview them?). For example, if I told one what is going on and they told me what they think should be done, am I checking my gut about their approach and comparing that to others? What is your process?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#308 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM

In our case we had a diagnosis that included a lot of testing data.  The recommendation in the report was for cognitive behavioral therapy.  I started calling therapists (mostly off a list BBM provided me).  I described the behaviors that most concerned me and shared the report.  I went on how the person responded -- particularly in the types of follow up questions asked.  Is the person thinking off the mark or close to the mark?  For instance, none of my "let me tell you about my kid" stuff included anything about social struggles, and there was no reference to social struggles in the report.  However, the CBT we hired immediately honed in on social dynamics inferring exactly how she struggled, and asked if she actually likes school.  I did not hire the woman who immediately started assuming my daughter was all-school-all-the-time of the sort that does research projects on the side.  That's not my kid.  So I guess I was mostly going for someone whose instincts seemed to be right on, plus someone with a demeanor I felt DD would respond to.  I think you could largely get that with just the description of your child without the stack of data.  Does that help?

#309 of 371 Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Today is my 17th wedding anniversary. I don't know how I feel about that. I look around at what we have accomplished together and think, wow, I can't believe we've done this and made it this far.

Then I ponder the events of the past weekend and wonder what I'm still doing here. And look at my kids, and know what I"m still doing here. Sigh.

[snip]

I still have my glider rocker. Sometimes I even have a kid in my lap in it. 
Congrats, even on the unpleasant parts. Perhaps the way will become obvious when you're ready?

Also, are we supposed to get rid of our glider rockers when our kids get big? I'm sitting in mine now. smile.gif I'd like to replace the seat pads because they're a bit stained but I can't find replacement pads. One day it will likely get replaced by a chair but not yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Thoughts;

I read Ds' report card today (he got it yesterday) and his teacher (who I respect a lot) suggested "more significant support and interventions". While he can be sweet and caring, he has a "harsh and competitive side that comes out more often. ....the behaviors that lead him into difficulty seem to indicate significant insecurity: wanting to be first, the best, the one who figured it out, correcting others, laughing at others' ideas, and being reluctant to examine his own work for errors..."
Does the school offer any kind of support that's classroom-specific? He sounds like several of the kids in R's class. The other hallmark of our GT program is the socio-emotional support stuff, which really runs the gamut from OCD issues to perfectionism, to various controlling behaviors, defensiveness, sensory issues, anxiety, etc. Last year I remember the teacher brought in some extra resources, as her class seems to have a lot more going on than some of the previous classes (both good and bad) and I believe they've continued that this year. They've put a lot of scaffolding into place that helps too. R's class had some sort of "work it out" corner where classmates having disagreements can go to talk through problems. On the wall in that area is a list for working through the problem with steps they follow. It was kind of brilliant, especially because in the heat of the moment, kids who are more likely to be struggling with ways to articulate what they want had a checklist. There are still kids who struggle more with some issues than others, but those kind of interventions probably help. One of the programs they use is BrainWise. The website looks a bit unconvincing (or overly marketed) but the skills she's talked about and tried at home have been pretty good.

A therapist can definitely help with the family issues and also with getting accommodations at school if that's the route the school needs to provide support too. One of the questions I'd ask of a potential therapist is how they usually approach these issues and some of the forms treatment might take.

Also, FWIW, DH (licensed psychologist) said he'd resist any kind of simple label and be interested in what the therapist sees as both typical and unusual. For example, based on the little bit you mentioned here, he said he doesn't think an ODD label fits because although there are features that fit, there are also features that just don't fit into that category at all. He also suggested that if your son is bright (which I assume he is), there's a strong possibility that he will need to come up with some of his own solutions to some of these issues rather than just having the therapist hand down ideas (or having a therapist suggest a few ideas and then work with him to pick one or two to try during the following week for example). In good news, he says that mental health services in NM offer pretty much everything, so you should be able to find someone you like. smile.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#310 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 AM

Thank you both so much. That is all very helpful and reassuring...

He is very bright, which manifests in one way as him thinking he knows better than us and so he argues against much of what we say/request/suggest. And sometimes his arguments are sound. But he is also very closed down to listening to others p.o.v. He's right, we're wrong. Period.

Anyway, he is being tested for GT this month, and if he qualifies, I can pursue more with the GT teacher in terms of modifications. But the thing that has worked so well for him at this school is that he can work in his way at his speed and as long as he can talk through his process with the teacher, he has autonomy, which his personality demands. I agree that he would like to have a say in what he and a therapist would come up with, and it would take a lot of trust or "buy in" for him to follow a therapist's suggestions.

The other side of the coin, (in his defense maybe redface.gif) is that he is very sensitive. It really resonated with me when his teacher commented that he seems to lack confidence or be insecure. On the surface, this isnt the case AT ALL (and DS, who read the report card, didnt understand that assessment), but when we talk to him about how his behavior is causing problems he is so defensive and so resistant to being corrected or put down. And this reminds me of when he was younger: he was a thumb sucker and blankie carrier until he was 6. He had a hard time recognizing others personal space, such that when I took DD1 to gymnastics, where all the parents sat on bleachers while the practice happened, DS would wander off and sit next to another adult somewhere, and with his blanie and sucking his thumb, just lean on that adult. The adult would look around confused, like, where is this kids parent. It was very cute but a little weird. He later did it in pre-school at circle time; he'd lean on the kid next to him, and the teacher had to ask us to talk to him b/c it was bothering the other kids lol.gifbag.gif

Anyway, I think there's something to the sensitivity (he no longer sucks his thumb but bites his nails almost manically and picks at scabs. Yuck!), I just dont know where it comes from...

Sorry for the hijack.... Back to the regularly scheduled program....

#311 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 AM

Awww, Sparkletruck. My ds1 is also very sensitive and although he would never lean on a stranger, he is very physically needy of those in his immediate circle. My gf who has a similar son (gifted kid, doctor parents, homeschooled) has convinced me that it's because they are exceptionally sensitive. They take in everyone's moods and it's overwhelming. My son (and hers) is terribly overwhelmed in large groups. He thrives when he has fewer transitions and is at home A LOT. (He is the main reason I continue to homeschool.) I'm not saying any of this applies to your kiddo just relating the way in which my ds1 is super emotionally sensitive. It has gotten better and the older he gets the easier it will become. Sending you heartbeat.gifgoodvibes.gifom.gif as you help ds figure out what works for him. namaste.gif

RR: Yoga. That is all. I am super sore from an extra hard weight workout. It's been hard to go up and down the stairs. lol.gif

#312 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 AM

Sparkle, it's not a hijack! I think Geo and Real have some really good input.

The thing with being really intensely sensitive, both in an 'insecure' way and also seeking sensory input (thumb sucking, leaning against people/failing to recognize personal space) are related. The insecurity seems to go hand in hand with an accelerated intellect -- you know how we talk about 'poser syndrome' -- how we sometimes feel that we are just pretending to be competent when in reality someone might 'find us out'? I was just reading somewhere (and for the life of me I cannot remember where) that this is a component of highly intelligent kids and adults who then develop signals that look like OCD/perfectionism/always having to be 'right.' 

It's enormously exhausting for a kid (or adult!) to feel that s/he constantly has to live up to the task of being right, and it can manifest in an unwillingness to see another's point of view, compromise, be open to others' ideas, etc. I don't think they are conscious of the connection, it's an anxiety driven behavior. Does that make sense? And it has nothing to do with the rational aspect of 'this kid is so smart, why doesn't s/he GET it that other people can also be right sometimes?!'

I have had to work very hard to battle that devil in my brain that says that any offered idea/criticism is an implicit attack on my self worth and a way of someone else saying 'you're just not as smart as you let other people think...I've FOUND YOU OUT.' And a lifelong (powered by perfectionist parents who asked where the other 3 points were if I got a 97 on a test -- and I suspect who both also have struggled with the same thing THEIR whole lives, driven by the need to MAKE IT in a new country with parents who sacrificed everything to get here) battle with maintaining a sense of self independent of others' validation. It's part of the same package.

Which is all to say (sorry for the poor-me part) that some of it is indeed 'normal' egocentric 8 year old boy behavior, magnified by the anxiety response AND the sensory input issue. If you notice that being outdoors is a huge equilibrium -reset for him, the sensory component makes a lot of sense too. I think even the best and most progressive school environments (even Montessori! which I adore! smile.gif ) are in essence indoor 'from the waist or head up' experiences. We have somehow lost the idea that education is only part of a developing whole person -- and this seemingly very Western (?) concept of encapsulating/isolating different body systems and processes one from the other. AThletics and exercise are for the body, education/school is for the mind. Rarely do we really (royal 'we') acknowledge through action that good neurological and intelligence development depends on the equilibration of the whole system, including physical activity (integrated into learning), nutrition, access/involvement with nature, etc. It's only because extra-super-sensitive kids like yours (and I suspect, my youngest) demonstrate to us that we are missing some crucial component somewhere. The physical sensory aspect (which a doctor might or might not diagnose as sensory processing disorder) is a clue that all systems are not in equilibrium and a way of acting out the need for time outside, and to let all the systems work in sync.

I think that didn't make much sense. It sounded right in my head but I don't know if the ideas came across properly.

I don't know if it helps either. But it's something to think about in your approach. I don't think my ds (who at 7 is having similar issues, albeit not as pronounced yet) will be a good candidate for team sports but he loves running and being outside and crawling in the dirt to find stuff, climbing trees, etc. As far as the anxiety driven perfectionist/aggressive behaviors, I don't know yet how we will deal with it...trying to do what I can now as much as possible and find someone to help us also.

hug2.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#313 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM

OMG Thank you so much everyone. Its all there! Ive actually considered all these parts over theyears, and pursued them in some way, and then let them slide. But yeah, I recognize it all. I need to make a chart for myself! Thanks again.

The first thing I did when I got home from reading the report card was sit down at the computer and start typing and Dh said "are you writing to the dingoes" Of course, we both knew where to ask for help first lol.gif

kiss.gif

#314 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 AM

love.gif Yes!  You guys are all so smart and thoughtful and thorough in your approach to every question that comes through here.  I just stillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif you!

This discussion is fascinating.  It's intriguing to make the connection between encroaching on others' personal space and sensory issues and insecurity relating to know-it-all-i-ness and looping it all together.  When put together this way it makes sense but they aren't dots I would have connected on my own I don't think.  And this is all making me think of a couple boys in dd2's class.  They are younger but the descriptions fit.  It's all very interesting and I hope that Sparkle and Nic will find the right people to help find these boys an easier path.  

RR: Nothing planned except maybe some Just Dance later.  I'm on day 2 of Vit. I therapy.  I don't know that it's helping but I'll give it a few days.

NRR: So I don't think it was a tapeworm after all.  Just long long busy days full of not stopping.  Now that I'm back to a slower pace the weight is creeping back on.  It's not too alarming, only a couple pounds but it sure was fun while it lasted.  

A sweet story: Last night a friend of mine who is marrying her longtime girlfriend in July called to ask if I'd sing at her wedding (they are both in their 60's and her girlfriend is not in very good health).  Of course I said I'd love to and asked what she'd like me to sing.  She asked for John Denver's Annie's Song.  I used to sing that to dd1 when she was a baby but I'd always get too choked up to finish it.  So I tell dh about being asked to sing it and immediately tears spring into his eyes and he got all choked up.  So then I got all verklempt and the girls just looked at us like we were both insane. lol.gif  I'm hoping that if I practice enough I can get through the 'let me die in your arms' part without losing it.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#315 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 PM

My post from earlier today seems to have disappeared...

Plady, what an honor to be asked to sing at the wedding. How beautiful! And joy.gifabout a possible trip to "my" island. When would you be coming? I'd love to have you stay here for a visit, or to meet you somewhere!! As for suggestions: I love Tofino/Long Beach west coast, but it does have much more unpredictable weather. Rathtrevor in Parksville is a lovely sandy beach with provincial park camping. It's en route to Tofino from Victoria, and is about a 50 minute drive south of me (we're in the Comox Valley). Just north of here is Miracle Beach, which is another sandy beach provincial park. If you're looking for more wilderness/remote camping let me know, because I know of some good smaller parks and campsites, too.

I keep getting interrupted before posting- phone calls, etc. Now we're off to fiddle lessons, and hopefully I'll be back later!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#316 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM

And home again :)

RR- Yesterday I did a short 3km run with my oldest biking. I used RunKeeper on my phone for it, to find that we were running 8:00/km for the first half (mostly uphill- including one big hill that I ran behind and pushed her up) and 5:46/km for the second half. I'm happy that my kids can keep a decent running pace with me and almost always entertained by how funny the runs that I do with them look when I analyze the pace- usually lots of stopping/sprinting. Yesterday afternoon we went climbing, and today is some yoga and strength work at home. Tomorrow is a post-preschool run and if our current storm continues the chance to really test how well the drainage on my new trail shoes works. I've had them since mother's day, but the trails have been relatively dry since then. There are five little drainage holes on the soles which seems perfect for me.

At climbing yesterday we had a nervous moment when my youngest spilled water all over her shirt and took it off to dry out. Her back is covered in bruises from cupping and I'm always a bit afraid that someone might see and freak out (daycare and preschool are all aware of the treatment, so it's a non-issue in those places). I convinced her to wear her sister's sweater for the rest of the afternoon and the drive home.

Nic, I love you analysis of the Western encapsulation of body systems. I was having a little rant about how we create "units" within the nursing curriculum while paying lip service to holistic care in yet another course. Yes, yes, yes!

sparkle, there is amazing knowledge and willingness to share it here. Best of luck to you and your family as you navigate these challenges.

#317 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM

Yes, what Nic said very much encapsulates what my friend's kid experienced when he went to the eco-school. Not Montessori, closer to Summerhill and maybe Sudbury but not quite. I think there is more structure here. (Science Class) Shameless gratuitous picture of my niece - 4th picture, green shirt, blond hair. holding pumpkie pie made during the optional Friday program. Have you read Last Child In The Woods or Freedom To Learn ? I haven't but they're both in my stack on the endtable. rolleyes.gif Good luck. kiss.gif

Plady, joy.gif Love that story. happytears.gif I love that song. I have such sweet memories of my dad playing it on guitar. If you like John Denver, Dave Matthews recently produced an album paying tribute to him. There are some fun (and wacky) versions of his songs on there.

Mel, Good job squeezing in those workouts on your few days off! thumb.gif

Spent the entire day basking in the aura of a very close friend so no exercise, though I may still do some yoga before going to bed. There is hope. namaste.gif

#318 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM

Popping in quick to tell Kerc - call them back and insist on a parent only initial interview. Why subject a child to someone that may not be a good fit. Keep looking until you do find a good fit. Will go back and read what others say. Fwiw. I do parent only first interview. I need the time to get a thorough background. Parents get that ultimately I need to see the kid to get a true sense of them as well, but talking to them first starts the process and this gives them a chance to interview me as well.
#319 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Jo, if you are still online, can you post the recipe for your (possibly Morrocan) chicken soup? I made it last winter but can't find the recipe now.

Also, the links to both the cooking blog and the knitting blog don't work.

Lofty, I loved some of the songs from that tribute album. NPR did a first listen for it.

#320 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 PM

http://doctormama.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/jos-soup/

#321 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

#322 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks, kerc. You rock. winky.gif MelW, think of me. blowkiss.gif

With regard to the behavior stuff, what Plady said. I would certainly not have so compassionately connected all those dots. Thank goodness for Dingoes.

We've now got just today and tomorrow left. Short playdate today, and tomorrow will likely be spent cleaning and packing, maybe obsessing and also dinner out with dh. We will see how that plays out. I did round one of the un-pack/re-pack, which seems to have helped a lot to reduce the stuff load. Something like 30 pounds of our luggage is actually dates.

Lofty, "fluency" is not exactly what I would call it! Dd has an excellent ear, and ds has a decent eye, but we need a lot more discipline. The world we live in is just so much nicer when one speaks at least two languages. I really want them both to really get Arabic and French. Those two languages open such a large swath of world--as well as other languages (romance languages, Swahili, Hebrew, Berber). Plus, when I think of the life opportunities (study, work, residency) that those languages could precipitate for them...sigh. I want them to live a limitless life, and languages are such a big part of that in our little tribe. Kids are going to do first half of their finals today, second half tomorrow.

Last HSer park day last night. We didn't bike; we cabbed there and walked home. Definitely still odd men out in that circle. Dd has a close friend; ds has a couple of friends, good kids, but he is frustrated at not having his "friend" needs fully met. I'm committed to finding him an activity next fall to get him around slightly older peers, as he is the oldest kid in the hs group of youngers and puberty is here. This is also where our summers come in: many cousins and back-home friends are in that little-bit-older bracket. We disappear the longest of all the families in our little circle here, and I get maybe too concerned that our need to be away is misunderstood. But our need to able to get outdoors trumps everything else. Add our very strong bonds with family, and we seriously need the time both away from here and with our people. It's funny that I allow myself to feel a little conflicted, but obviously we will never fit in fully here--and we don't aspire to it. We are already looking at some travel during next winter. I want to shoot for two trips. Trick is finding a bloodshed-free destination these days.

blahblah.gif 

So after another hiatus, I got out the story I am writing, and you know what? It's actually pretty interesting. So, I am back to working on that (see also, Treasure Map).

RR: forget it.

#323 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 PM

I am utterly exhausted, but wanted to pop in with a race report before I lose the motivation. orngtongue.gif

As usual, I questioned my sanity when my alarm went off at 4:15 this morning (with two snoozes, to get up at 4:30). WHO thought this was such a great idea?! Ugh. Dragged myself out of bed and was out the door by 5 to meet real at the park-n-ride to bus up to Boulder. As usual, we were there way early, which was a-ok by me. I was the first person to use my port-o-potty joy.gif, and we had plenty of time to gab, sunscreen, and get situated before checking our bags, another stop at the port-o-potty, and heading off to our waves. I dropped real at her speedy wave and headed back to my slower wave, where who should I see, carrying the sign for our wave, but my friend! Hooray! SO cool to get to chat with her the whole time until the race start! Also bumped into a couple of friends from work, one of whom was running his first BB ever. I didn't really have much of a plan for the race, other than to go out hard, try my best to hold on to it, and maybe if I was lucky, pull off a 9:30 pace. Mile 1 was 9:23, which I figured was just about right, since it's slightly downhill, and the uphills were yet to come. I really felt pretty good, although I was definitely working hard and uncomfortable. The beauty of the Bolder Boulder is that there are SO many distractions on the course to keep you from thinking about the pain. The Blues Brothers, Elvis, belly dancers, bands galore, slip-n-slides, jello shots, cotton candy, BACON, and more! I will say, though....NO shirtless firefighters! shake.gif The last bit of the course into the stadium is uphill and it was brutal. I thought I was going to die. I don't know if it's just that I block it out each year, but it really felt MISERABLE this year. I seriously thought I might die. Or just keel over. Or something. I entered the stadium with about 40 seconds to get under 59 minutes, and I just couldn't quite pull it off. Maybe if I had had any kind of kick left in me, but I was cashed. Nonetheless, I nailed my 9:30 pace, on the dot, so I am not disappointed in the least!

I walked through the finish line/water/chip removal/snack bag area to the baggage trucks and met back up with real, who (as usual) crushed it! A walk through the expo (yay! free pint glass from Brooks!), and we were off to breakfast. For which we walked about a mile and a half each way. Me, in flip flops. Yeah, my feet hurt now. rolleyes.gif A yummy and delicious breakfast later and we headed back to the stadium for the pro race and the Memorial Day tribute. Deena Kastor is AMAZING, y'all. 40 years old, and still smoking it...she finished fourth in the women's elite race, and came into the stadium to a huge ovation (even though most of the people probably didn't really know who she was!). One of the coolest things was that due to sequestration, they didn't get the normal fighter jet flyover. So, instead...they had a flyover of World War II era fighter planes! Way cool! I'm pretty sure they were cooler than the jets would have been anyway! Lots more chatting with real on the bus back to the park-n-ride, and another Bolder Boulder was officially in the books. I love this race SO SO SO much. And I think you should all come run it with us next year! orngbiggrin.gif Official time 59:07.

I got back home around 2 and had exactly three hours to finish cleaning up the house in preparation for DS's friend and his mom to come over for dinner tonight. I just *barely* got it done. And even then, I skipped the tub in the master bath, both bedrooms are still cluttered, and I have piles of laundry to do. BUT, my house is the cleanest it's been in months, if not years! We purged the playroom yesterday (5 boxes of toys DS never plays with...GONE, and two garbage bags of trash and recycling), and I got a crapload of stuff cleaned up and put away. It's amazing how nice it looks and feels! Now we'll see how long it lasts this way... Dinner was lovely, and D (my friend/DS's friend's mom) brought a giant bottle of sangria, which we drained. I am tired, and happy. Good night, all. orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#324 of 371 Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

I love this race SO SO SO much. And I think you should all come run it with us next year! orngbiggrin.gif
yeahthat.gif I'll bunk as many of you at my house as can fit. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the park & ride tjsmama mentioned. orngbiggrin.gif

Seriously: the best. race. ever! I love the Bolder Boulder so much.

So, pretty much what tjsmama said, except that it didn't hurt as much to get up this week as it did last week, and I was really looking forward to enjoying the run. I hoped to hold an 8:45 pace, with a sub-55 time as gravy, but just didn't know what was in the tank after last week's marathon. I enjoyed the course as always; Boulder's a really fun place and it helps that I'm feeling fairly familiar with the "new" course (yes, it's been around for 3 or 4 years). Anyhow, I decided not to look at my Garmin much, other than to get an idea of how fast I was or wasn't moving when it beeped the mile splits, and tried for the (un)comfortably hard state. My legs felt sluggish much of the time but I'd done longer tempo runs so I looked for something to distract me instead. Mile 5 flew by, which was unusual, and then we were headed up Folsom. Folsom is a long stretch and it heads gradually and then steeply uphill (the steep part is fairly short but nasty at the end of a 10K). I'd been wondering when the hill started so I was really pleased to hit the steep part and realize I'd already done the rest. (My brain was clearly not functioning, because I spent 10 years on this campus and know perfectly well what that hill looks like from countless rides on the bus, not to mention the other 11 Bolder Boulders that I've run or walked.) It was great to turn into the stadium except that the bagpipers were not playing (sob!) until I was several feet past them. There's a tiny downhill and then one more steep uphill before we're dumped into the stadium. The only saving grace of that last hill is that people slow down and even start walking there, so I get to pass them. And then into the stadium and I found whatever finishing kick I had left for a 53:11 finish. smile.gif

It's my fastest BB yet, though not my fastest 10K which was 26 seconds faster. And then I walked up into the fieldhouse which always makes me a bit teary because it reminds me of walking through that same passage in my doctoral robes at graduation a few years ago.

tjsmama captured the rest of it, except for the security stuff. There's always been security to get into the stadium because obviously, it's a lot of people and potential for problems, but they had increased it this year, sort of. Basically, they told everyone we could only have a 12x12 bag, but then we all have the lunch bag from the race and the various things we picked up at the expo and no one was fussed about anything except...wait for it...water. Yeah. I had to dump out the water bottle I'd brought from home, but the security guy said the ones I got with the lunch bag were ok. Then another security dude told a runner in the next lane that only sealed water bottles were allowed, and he made her dump out the bottle she'd just got with her lunch bag all of 5 minutes earlier. I understand that things could be used to cause problems, but come on, we're wearing bibs, sweaty, and it's rather painfully obvious that we just ran a 10K. Leave us our water. Note that they did not so much as look at the aerosol can of sunscreen in my bag. Or in my bag at all. It didn't help that in the past, runners who wanted to go to the expo had to go out through the checkpoints to get to the expo. And today? Exactly the opposite, so we went through, left to got to the expo, realized it was changed and went through security again in the space of about 3 minutes. Oh, and they wanded us too. They're saying this is the future of races, but I don't see it except for the high-profile ones on the east coast. (Not saying it can't happen in Boulder, just that it's not likely given historical patterns.)

Funniest thing I saw: a guy wearing nothing but a black speedo, which was barely big enough to pin his race number to. He'd been in the wave in front of mine but must have finished later. The bib hid his package, so it wasn't painfully obvious. But if, like me, you're wondering why--especially because he had a pretty average runner's look rather than say, the one of tjsmama's firefighters, he had the answer printed on the back of the speedo: "lost a bet."
lol.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#325 of 371 Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
 "lost a bet."
lol.gif

lol.gif Indeed!

Jo - Between you and pics a friend posted on FB of her at the Louvre I'm thinking about my kids and languages.  I suggested to them this morning that they do some online French lessons over the summer.  Our library has Muzzy, a program for kids to learn French Spanish, German, Chinese and maybe Portuguese?  Anyway, there aren't any language classes in the public school here and we've done so little traveling for so long now it's easy to forget how much of the world doesn't speak English.  SO thank you for the reminder Jo, now we'll see what I can enforce.

Real and Gaye  - That race sounds like a great time.  Is it on Memorial Day every year?  I would love to do another Dingo destination race (of course I'd be in the 12:00 wave eyesroll.gif - or slower!).

MelW - So I was putting together a possible itinerary starting Aug. 19 and thinking Ferry-->Bamberton Prov. Pk-->Little Qualicum Falls-->Surf Junction (Uclulet/Pac. RIm Natl Pk)-->Tofino-->then back and up your way to Kin Beach?  I'm hoping we can all do a camping/surf lesson package at Surf Junction and that has to be midweek for the discount rate but then we'll have 2-4 days before we need to head back to Sidney and home.  Have you been to any or all of these stops?  And is it likely to be raining the entire time we're on the west coast?  I see all the references to rain forest.  But that sandy beach looks so enticing and as compared to our endurance drives to Yellowstone last year this looks like a breeze for travel times so it looks like it would be simple enough to relocate.

Ack!  Almost late for boxing!  I'll check in later!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#326 of 371 Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations on great races at the Boulder Bolder, Gaye and Real!!  I would love to come and do that race some year. It just sounds so fun and joyful. I loved your race reports!

Mel and Plady - so exciting, another Dingo meetup! Awesome - can't wait to see pictures.

Jo, all the best for your travels!

RR: Only swimming and a little biking lately, but I am enjoying both. Slightly tweaky knee had me resting from running this past week, but I feel ok to start slowly again.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#327 of 371 Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM

Love the race reports, Real & Tjsmama! clap.gifclap.gif I would love to do that race sometime, too. Ironically, my in-laws and niece were in Boulder last weekend for fun. She starts law school there next year so maybe I can talk family into going. If not then, I think that another Boulder race could be in the works for me. What are your favorite Boulder races?

Jo, I feel the same way about languages. Mine are not nearly as far along as your dc and Plady's dc but we are getting there. I'm really looking forward to Spanish immersion in the fall with ds2 and I found an online class to enroll ds1 in for Greek but I'm still scratching my head about the wisdom of learning 2 ancient languages, kwim? He's obsessed with all things Greek and has taught himself quite a bit so far. And within the next year, if he becomes fluent enough, we'll schedule a trip as part of our savings/educational fund and as an award. Spanish is just practical and we've already got head starts on that one. Inexplicably, ds2 wants to learn German and everytime we talk about picking *his* language he only wants to learn German. confused.gif Latin is non-negotiable bc it's how I work in grammar. But, seriously, German and Greek as my kiddo's second languages? I just don't know. We're investing in Greek but I'm not ready to invest in German. Arabic and French sound so much smarter. Thoughts?

RR: Dressed in running clothes, ready to run.

NRR: So excited about taking the kids on a day trip to the zoo tomorrow and to see family we haven't seen in a while. They are zoo crazy!

#328 of 371 Old 05-28-2013, 03:09 PM

I feel your pain, Lofty. When DD was told she could pick a language for World Languages, she announced she wanted to do Ancient Greek. If not that ASL. The options for "world languages" are French, German, and Spanish. Most of the kids pick German. My RP-in-cultivation is livid. She's an internist. She says she needs Swahili most as she already speaks sufficient Spanish. Mandarin would also be good.
#329 of 371 Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

MelW - So I was putting together a possible itinerary starting Aug. 19 and thinking Ferry-->Bamberton Prov. Pk-->Little Qualicum Falls-->Surf Junction (Uclulet/Pac. RIm Natl Pk)-->Tofino-->then back and up your way to Kin Beach?  I'm hoping we can all do a camping/surf lesson package at Surf Junction and that has to be midweek for the discount rate but then we'll have 2-4 days before we need to head back to Sidney and home.  Have you been to any or all of these stops?  And is it likely to be raining the entire time we're on the west coast?  I see all the references to rain forest.  But that sandy beach looks so enticing and as compared to our endurance drives to Yellowstone last year this looks like a breeze for travel times so it looks like it would be simple enough to relocate.

That sounds like a perfect island tour. I haven't been to Bamberton for many years, and Little Qualicum is lovely, as is Surf Junction & Tofino (I lived in Uclulet very part-time with my dad for a bit of my childhood). Despite it being the closest, I often forget about Kin Beach, but it's a good spot. It's not the sandiest beach, but close to lots of other beach options and it's the best camping near here. The west coast (by which I mean Tofino/Uclulet) is unpredictable weather. I think you've chosen the best time of year, and as long as you have non-surf back up plans it should be good. They do a lot of winter season storm watching and the storms are amazing (Oregon cost-style). The aquarium in Uclulet is fun, and the art gallery, too. There are lots of hiking trails that would be fun even in drizzle, too. And you're right- nothing on your route is so far away that relocation would be a problem. 

I don't have any work scheduled for that week yet, so I'm flexible for visiting. I'll be headed to Victoria for school on Sunday the 25th but probably not until the evening. 

On languages: I have decent French and minimal Italian. I did French Immersion from K-12 and a bit of Italian in University. In my health care career the most helpful languages would have been: Cantonese, Mandarin, Hindi and Vietnamese (Vancouver), Spanish & Korean (Oregon). I have rave reviews of Rosetta stone which my oldest is using for French. Her school offers up to three language choices via Rosetta, but usually only for grades 4 and older. We negotiated adding her part-way through the year when other students had dropped the program so she could pick up their spots. My youngest is interested in French Immersion and my current hesitation is only the two school morning drive. My kids are saving for a trip to France, which will likely take us a couple of years, so I'm keen to have both of them speaking some more French for that. My plan is an apartment rental somewhere rural, which if my Italy experience compares there are way fewer English speakers in small towns than big tourist cities.

Lofty, I'd explore with him why the focus on German. My kids French/France obsession started with Ratatouille, but I've encouraged it because I cancelled a trip to France because of my first pregnancy and have not yet been able to reschedule :) Plus in Canada it's pretty important to learn French, just in case you grow up to become Prime Minister winky.gif

On soup: Dinner is ready (with a few modifications from the recipe based on what was in the fridge/pantry). It smells delicious. 

On running: 5k today. I spent the morning doing a massive office clean up with my husband and time was somewhat limited. The upside of the office clean up was finding a cheque for him in a stack of unopened mail (seriously- I don't understand why he doesn't open his mail...) and several receipts that will help to reduce the business taxes. 

#330 of 371 Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Once you have one extra language you open doors for others.

Also: years of Latin here. Years. I loved every bit of it. Maybe should have considered a major in it.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page