May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 371 Old 05-31-2013, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
18mph? That's a pretty decent clip Gaye.
Moi, 8 miles biked. Don't think, just go style. Come home, hang laundry on line. 10 mins later? Hailing and raining.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 371 Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 PM

gaye~blowkiss.gif You know, NYC isn't that far from Towson.  

kerc~ Boo hiss on your laundry debacle, but great job on the bike!

Wattle~I did a few laps in my parents' backyard pool. You said swimming helps, right Gaye? Let's see if backyard float and paddles can work their magic.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#363 of 371 Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 PM

My four hour shift yesterday vending turned into one of my most insane shifts ever. I was rushing to the OR within my first hour and never managed to get changed out of the unisex large OR scrubs that were the only ones left on the shelf. I worked my whole shift in a shirt that was nearly down to my knees. The call bells rang non-stop, we had med-surg patients in the hallways plus a full load of maternity clients. The insanity lead to me eating and drinking nothing between lunch and finally getting home at 8:30, kids still awake post school year-end musical excitement, and not having dinner until after getting them to bed at 9. I woke up at 2 with a raging headache, hydrated myself, then was woken by a peed bed at 3. By then I remembered several things I had forgotten to do at work and spent an hour fretting before sleeping again.

RR- Bootcamp tonight, followed by a superwoman change and an art opening of a friend's just down the street from the community gym. Hopefully towelling of and a smear of deodorant makes me decent.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#364 of 371 Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 AM

Oh, Mel, what a day! Yikes! Hope you get some relaxation in today!

Towson, I'm going to try swimming, too. The weights are clearly not cutting it. So fun to see you here!

Kerc, Boo on the rain on the laundry! Nice bike ride. What's up this weekend?

Tjsmama, hug.gif 7 is such a sweet age! That bowling ball cake is going to look great! Nice workout, btw! (And breakfast!)

Mel and Gaye - I am SO EXCITED about the NYC marathon for you! I get the dh hesitation. In my family, it's truly a family affair to train and when I talk about one, dh makes grumbling sounds. Of course, their baseball season last year (both on all stars) was definitely a family affair, too, and our whole lives revolved around it for an insane 4 months or more. So, now that I think of it, I could argue for a family-backed running event. Anyhow, good luck!

Wetsuit question: In NY, we will be on a very, very cold lake that will have literally no one in it for the first several weeks we are there. This makes it perfect to swim. Still too early for boats. So, does anyone here have experience swimming wearing a wetsuit to swim. The scuba diving versions seem to thick and cumbersome. There's probably a lightweight shorty but maybe I'm just being wimpy? Every year, we say we're going to swim immediately but it's hard to think about jumping in the water when you're wearing a hoody, kwim? But, I think that would be a good wattle-fighting plan.

RR: Sprints and weights (as promised) before it gets too hot out there!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#365 of 371 Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 AM

Checking in briefly from the paradise known as Sugarloaf Key orngbiggrin.gif! We're having a blast, but with all the eating and no exercising, it's not an anti-wattle vacation to be sure! The paltry bit of swimming I do while snorkeling doesn't count!

Lofty - I've worn full triathlon wetsuits for swimming (Lake Michigan.... brrrr.....) with no problems. I don't think the surfing ones work well because of the thickness issue. If your wetsuit fits well, it's not constricting at all. I can't wait to hear about your adventures up north.

Yesterday we took a catamaran out to the reef to snorkel. DD2, who just turned 7, was amazing! She shunned the life vest and the swim noodle and swam without any assistance 6 miles from shore, in 12 ft. of water, surrounded by undersea wildlife, with no fear or panic! I'm so proud of her orngbiggrin.gif.

That's all for now. Heading down to Key West for the day. Three more days in paradise, then back to tornado central in the midwest. Booooo.....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#366 of 371 Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM

Lofty, I've used shorty wetsuits and the full leg armless wet suits. I've had good luck finding wetsuits at used sports stores and pawn shops.

JayGee, sounds amazing!!

I have been getting bits of gardening done all morning. Tomatoes are in, holes dug and awaiting the new grape vines that are soaking. If the rain stays light, I'll bike to the park in a bit with the kids.

Tomorrow is my birthday and my family bought me thishttp://www.jennifer*******design.com/collections/ss13-pe13/ new dress to wear to a friend's wedding in a couple of weeks. It's the first and only yellow item in my wardrobe. I might be breaking out of my blue/green/black/white rut.

#367 of 371 Old 06-01-2013, 02:45 PM

mel~birthday.gif That dress is gorgeous!

jaygee~ Woot for DD2! What a little rock star! I'd give just about anything to be in the keys right now. Tell us about your time in Key West so we can live vicariously.

tjsmama~Saw the cake on FB--nice job, mama! Hope the bowling party was a success.

NRR~Didn't someone just post on here about Athleta? How have I not known about this place? Apparently there's one less than a mile from my house. Is it too tom-boy, jock girl-ish to wear one of their dresses to a graduation next weekend? I got the catalogue today and I'm tempted to head over to the actual store tomorrow.

RR~Okay, so no running. Yes, that's two days in a row. I must get out there tomorrow. I did swim and play a ton of kickball in 95* heat, so I'm counting that as exercise for today. 

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#368 of 371 Old 06-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Funny dingo-ish story: This morning we stopped by the bank on the way to the farmer's market. I parked right in front so the kids could stay in the car and in sight while we went in to use the machine. As we got out of the car two older men were coming out of the bank and one said "it's unusual to see you two walking". Once we were inside they were looking at our car and very slowly getting in to their truck parked next to it. I asked my husband if they had thought I was parked in a handicapped spot and that was why they had commented about us walking. He decided to go out and talk with them (and to be with the kids). The man who made the comment apologized for being confusing as soon as my husband walked out, and explained that he lives two blocks from us and always sees us out running or on bikes with the kids and the driving/walking combo was surprising and out of context smile.gif

#369 of 371 Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 PM

Fly-By:

Anyone wanting to brush up on their French, The Intouchables is on Netflix watch instantly. It is tied for the best movie I saw this year with The Silver Linings Playbook. SO good. Also, Im now watching "Spiral" on Netflix W.I.: a french serial crime thriller legal show.... Too bad I dont know any french lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#370 of 371 Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 AM

melw~birthday.gif

lofty~Definitely not a scuba wetsuit...you need one that's thinner, and (if it has sleeves) has more mobility in the shoulders for swimming.

towson~I love.gif athleta. They recently opened one by me, too, but I've been a faithful catalog shopper for years. Really, the only benefit to having the store near by now is free returns. orngbiggrin.gif And no, definitely not too tomboy-ish! Their dresses are nice! The dress that I wore to my graduation is from athleta.

I survived the party, and the cake decorating. Um, note to self: TOO many kids at the birthday party. Many less kids next year! We ended up with 17, including DS. dizzy.gif I was hoping for 12. rolleyes.gif We sent out the first batch of invites and got a ton of no's, so sent out a second round, and got waaaaaay too many yes's! The kids had fun, the bowling alley was good, and I am very glad it is over. The cake turned out well, and was much harder than a plain, single-colored cake should have been. orngtongue.gif In the meantime, I've eaten entirely too much the past few days, and need to STOP. Good lord, the amount of buttercream and cake I've consumed in the last 36 hours...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#371 of 371 Old 06-02-2013, 10:25 AM

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1384443/dingoes-running-into-the-summer-sunshine-june

New thread for June!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Tags
Fitness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page