May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 371 Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Melissa, my biggest beef, and something I do plan to mention to the principal, is that the kids are given the expectation that their parents can and will come to events during the school day.  DS' teacher does 7:40 am open houses, which is perfect.  You're out of there and on your way to work by the time the bell rings, and DH can even sneak out earlier than that, only getting him to work 45 minutes later than his usual.  DD's teacher schedules them for 8:35 to 9:15.  School starts at 8:10.  So I'm supposed to twiddle my thumbs for 25 minutes for it to start, and then I get to head into work more than an hour late.  As far as I could tell, DD was one of two kids that only had one parent there.  If DH were to go to 4 in a year (there have been 4 so far, and I expect 1 more), that's a whole vacation day.  Both parents, and often a few grandparents show up to these things.  I guess since attendance is so high, then my comments will likely fall on deaf ears.  I do wonder how much grumbling is happening in people's homes that they never bring forward.  And don't get me started on 1 pm assemblies...

uh yes. grandparent day is the culprit around here. It's a great thing: grandparents into the school, show them around, blah blah blah. It's mostly kindergarten and first grade.

a. our closest grandparent lives 11 hours away and

b. both parents work.

It came to a head in my first year (non tenure track year) when I was teaching here at the university, knowing that they were hiring and dh was teaching 3 hours away, because that was the only gig he could get (and we needed the money!!). So I invited my friend with a kid who is 12 years older. My kids adore her and they laughed that she wasn't old enough to be a grandma.  Deb adored being invited, laughed at being the youngest there and erin got to have a special friend to show around. It is so a reminder of the importance of intergenerational friends in this society that asks us to only befriend those who are at the same stage in life as us. Oh hey wait, that's what it means to be a community.  Which in truth is one of the reasons I love this town (usually we don't have stuff like geofizz is describing). soapbox.gif

Busy day planned. Involves visiting a friend's fourth grade classroom to be a guest geologist (he's the teacher). Then Tuesday afternoon is the super logistics day for us.....bike ride, scouts, sewing class, dinner.....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 371 Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yeah, DH has taken someone else's daughter to work for a day, as the single mom works in special education and cannot bring her daughter by FERPA and HIPPA privacy rights, and the daughter was required to spend a day shadowing a parent at work.  Good thing no one in this community is unemployed, works shift or service industry work, or anything so ordinary as that. 

At the same time, I'm ticked that people in this community are so unwilling to ask others for help getting a kid to soccer practices and whatnot.  E's cub scout leader sent something out about an event, but then explained her son wouldn't be there because she had to work and her husband had another commitment.  This is a woman who's put in, what, maybe a 100 hours into these kids this year?  She couldn't ask for help?  And yeah, I told her I was happy to help, and it honestly was no big deal.  They live 3 blocks from here.  Asking for and offering that kind of help would be obvious and routine in our dingo commune, right?

OK, done venting for the day.  I need to write an exam and get some finicky software installed before somehow managing to stay awake through a talk at 3.

#63 of 371 Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

At the same time, I'm ticked that people in this community are so unwilling to ask others for help getting a kid to soccer practices and whatnot.  E's cub scout leader sent something out about an event, but then explained her son wouldn't be there because she had to work and her husband had another commitment.  This is a woman who's put in, what, maybe a 100 hours into these kids this year?  She couldn't ask for help?  And yeah, I told her I was happy to help, and it honestly was no big deal.  They live 3 blocks from here.  Asking for and offering that kind of help would be obvious and routine in our dingo commune, right?

Right. Well if you just need to fit it in between gardening and dinner prep, then you should totally be able to swing it. Hopefully by offering you're reminding her that it can/should happen that way.

Or else your kid is much more laid back than mine and willing to miss the scout thing. Mine would be livid. At which point I would tell her that she needs to call her friends for me. But that's a whole other story.....

#64 of 371 Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Makes me glad I live in a military community where the school district caters to dual-service spouses. All conferences occur between 5-8pm and every school event (plays, concerts, etc.) are done during the day for students to watch and again at night for parents. As a stay-at-home parent who volunteers 20+ hours a week in the library, I know there are many parents who CAN'T volunteer at all. The ones who annoy me are the SAH parents who spend their days working out, going to book club and Officer Spouse Club events, but can't' spare 30 minutes a week to work in the library during their child's library time).

RR - a banner day for me! I ran 5K with the YMCA women's running group! Yes, that same group I lamented not being able to run with a few months ago! They are all tapering for a marathon this coming weekend, so their three miles was just perfect. I hung with the lead group pretty well and ran 5K in 27 minutes! Then, I dragged my road bike off the trainer, pumped up the tires, and rode for 45 minutes through the neighborhoods. I think I want to do a tri this summer again. I miss racing. I miss triathlon. I think I can do it.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#65 of 371 Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Kerc - I dont know if society discourages inter-generational friendships/relationships (curious to know what makes you feel that way), BUT, I have become close to two women this year, who might be two of my closest women friends in my town at the moment, who are in their later 50's. And Im going to pull a total grad-school-nerd move out of my hat and say that I see Foucault at work. I think you are friends with people you can share discourse with - both agreeing what constitutes discourse, and performing it. We share discourse with those who are in like stages of life (among other things; like-jobs, like-interests...), and so because I am experiencing a typically 50's physical phenomenon, I suddenly find great comraderie and community with my 50+ girlfriends...

I have nothing to say about moms with attitudes. There are few of them here, and they are not part of any of my discursive formations! lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#66 of 371 Old 05-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Phew! Lots of chatting going on in Dingo land!

Sorry about the school event issues. That's a LOT of energy / stress to expend! I get the irritation at assuming one can drop everything they're doing and go pick up something. This is not just irritating for working moms but homeschool moms, too, who are sometimes assumed to always be available and doing nothing so they can pick up something/watch your kids/ drop him off/ help with a math problem / keep sick kids, etc. Granted this doesn't happen way out in the country but it was so prevalent in the city, I think it is one underlying reason we left. Of course, I loved feeling like my house was in the middle of the street but not a lot of school or work got done.

Real, love the description of sight-reading. That must be so much fun. Yesterday was the first day in years that I sat and played piano for a solid 30 minutes. I pulled out my concert books from 30 years ago and it felt like sight-reading at first, and then magically, my hands remembered. Can I ask you a quick yes/no question? My kids and two of their friends want to surprise a homeschool friend at his graduation party by playing Pomp & Circumstance. So I've downloaded easy sheet music for piano for my 9yo son. I've already re-arranged it to his level. My 12yo can play melody on violin. The other two kids are 11 and play in middle school band - one on flute and one on baritone. So my thinking was that the flute could also play melody and the baritone play the bass line. I'm a bit over my head here. But I'll happily spend some time re-writing the baritone part. Anyway, I'm just surfing and trying to put together an arrangement. The graduating kid (16yo) is way cool, plays guitar himself and adores these 4 kids and will think it's a hoot that they play something at his graduation. So, in your professional opinion, how bad will it sound to have piano, violin, flute & baritone playing Pomp & Circumstance. If they're good enough, I think they should make it funky. ETA: Wait- nevermind. I found what I need in the Yamaha Band Student book. wink1.gif

JG, good luck with the school decisions. I read something recently about how an inner city school turned its violence around by letting go the security officers and adding fine arts instead. So far, it appears to have been a much-lauded move. I just cannot imagine eliminating the arts. greensad.gif

Sparkle, I'm not a climber though I like to think about it. I've gone with dh on some climbs in NY. Keep thinking one day...

Shanti, Gaaah, I hope you were able to salvage the day. hug.gif

Jooj, love how successful your kids have been in school this year. Funny to imagine you reading Walden in AD. lol.gif

Jaxy, no I probably wouldn't want to run barefoot in NO! nono.gif All my recurring knee problems went away once I switched to Vibrams. But I get that they're not for everybody. You just have to find what works for *you*.

Tj, I agree, what about combining the parties? I'm all about consolidating events. One less event in the planner. Good luck!

Mel, Mel, MommaJB, Kerc, wave.gif

RR: Great run yesterday. Made kids run part of it with me so that was fun! Then I did weights. Once again, nothing makes me feel better afterward than a good weight workout. Did some yoga this morning bc now I feel sore and old. rolleyes.gif Plan on doing sprints later with the kids. Getting them more active may be the motivation I need to get me more active.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#67 of 371 Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Asking for and offering that kind of help would be obvious and routine in our dingo commune, right?

I will work on it. Asking for help is not my forte. After a childhood of being lauded for my independence, I have a hang up about not being able to be totally independent at all times. It's not very commune friendly, but an ongoing personal growth workout.

Being hybrid home/school our current situation is full of assumptions about availability and doing right by our kids. The teachers have been good, and PAC meetings are actually online because of the many distance students, but there is an attitude of unrecognized privilege and pride in "doing the *best* thing for our kids" that makes me get hives. The principal dreams of giving TEDtalks, I think, so it trickles from the top down.

lofty, it sounds like a really fun graduation gift!

sparkle, I'd love to hang out in your discourse community.

JayGee, hooray for running and running fast!!!joy.gif

Jaxy, beyond the Vibram's there are some minimalist shoes that some people like. I was considering the New Balance minimus line recently, since I've been floundering for a trail shoe since my old favourites were discontinued. I think we run in opposite environments, though- I'm almost exclusively trails and lots of hills. I forget that it's possible to not run hills! lol.gif

kerc, I love that you invited a substitute grandparent. My daughter's kindy/grade one teacher was so confused about the variety of people that were involved in school drop-offs and pick ups: me, husband, my sister, daycare provider, grandma, grandpa, my step-sister, family friends, other parents, homeschooled teenage babysitter, etc. We don't have traditional 9-5 jobs and we cobble together a lot of unusual childcare arrangements. 

RR- 4ish km today without my watch or gps. I'm loving the warm sunny weather!

NRR- I applied for a job (two, actually) as permanent faculty in the BSN program. I'm not sure how it will all work out, but worth a shot. I would love some job security, and to drop down to one job instead of three. 

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#68 of 371 Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 PM

I totally can relate to the working parent dilemmas, especially as a single working mom with an XH who lives out of state. I feel lucky that I work night shift so that I actually do have the opportunity to do a lot of the during-the-day stuff, but it comes at a price. I just don't sleep if it falls after or between shifts. See: field day next week, where DS really wants me to come, but it's in between shifts. We have a deal that I will come to field day, but he MUST let me take a nap after school, with no whining allowed. (odds of this actually happening--the whining part, anyway--are low, but oh well...) We also deal with the grandparent day issue, since we are 1100 miles from all the grandparents. I wish we had one we could borrow.

lofty~I love the graduation party idea! It sounds awesome!

melw~Good luck with the jobs! I really don't know how you do it, juggling all your jobs. I barely manage to handle my one. smile.gif

jaygee~Hooray! Speedy!

Birthday party crisis, averted! Phew! The other mom was able to move her DD's party to Sunday. I don't know her all that well, so I had no idea if she was going to really fight to keep her time at all, but when I told her that I was scheduled to work that night, she was awesome and got their party switched. Hooray!

I had a semi-leisurely day...except not really. orngtongue.gif I did get to sleep in a little since DS was with XH, who took him to school. But I didn't sleep in much, since I wanted to go to spin class. Spin class, then a hour on the hamster wheel, then a stop at the grocery store, then home for a quick shower, off for a pedicure (ahhhh, much needed!), to school to pick up DS, a haircut for him, a couple more errands, then home again for dinner and homework. dizzy.gif Now we're trying to get DS's stuff organized to pack for our trip tomorrow, and then once he's in bed, it will be time to get myself packed. I really hate packing.

rr~A great spin class filled with 80's tunes that we all sang along to the whole time. Which led to a discussion about all the useless lyrics filling up our brains and what use we could put that space to if it wasn't occupied (I mean, really...maybe if I didn't know every. single. word. to Ice, Ice, Baby, I could remember what my lab values are supposed to mean lol.gif). Followed up spin class with a mind-numbing hour's hill workout on the hamster wheel. I figured I should get a run of semi-decent length in before we leave. I'm hoping to get a couple of runs in while we're in Ohio, but I'm not really counting on it....

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#69 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel38 View Post

I often think of how smug and self-congratulatory some parents act about their own ability (and desire) to participate in events during the school day. One lady in particular who recently bemoaned the fact that " ... and no one from Ms. So-and-so's class even bothered to show up..." Um, hello!

Quote:

It's important to ask the question, especially when "parent involvement" is the catchphrase du jour.

Yep. There's a huge push by the "reformers" to focus on "parent engagement." I'll save my soapbox for another time on that. It's a tension at our school. One of our PTA moms isn't exactly smug about it, but she often does feel like there are a lot of parents who don't participate. My feeling has been that we don't always acknowledge the way parents do participate (i.e., buying tissue and wipes and other supplies for classes, sending food for class parties) and that we don't always do a good job of spreading the word when we need volunteers. PTA just started using sign-up genius this year, but before that it was often about who you knew. During R's kindergarten year, I went to a semester's worth of PTA meetings and only saw a sign-up sheet for stuff once. The PTA mom I mentioned above and I have had conversations about that though, as has our School Improvement Team.

lofty--that sounds like it will be an awesome arragenemtn of "Pomp & Circumstance." I hope they have fun!

Jaxy--look for a used jogger. I bought all three of mine used. One was via Ebay (somehow even with shipping it was a great deal). I ran that one into the ground (1000+ miles). I bought our double jogger from a friend. My new single jogger was on Craigslist for $40. I bought that 2-1/2 years ago and it has 500 miles on it now--not bad for $40!

OK, time to fit in a little more practicing before bed.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#70 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 AM

MelW, the unrecognized privilege has been really wearing me down and it's turning into this big, giant struggle in my head. I spent the first 15 or so years of my life very much a have-not, and while a lot of that experience contributes to many of my ongoing issues, it also (I hope) gives me a foundation for understanding, or at least seeing, more of my environment than I might otherwise. I feel like I am not doing enough to prevent my dd from becoming some sort of third-culture version of a bourgeoise waspy princess. blahblah.gif Anyway, good luck on the possible job prospects.

Geo, the mother's response was out of line, but not something I'd be surprised by. Offended, not surprised.

I am not surprised by much today. Because it is time. Yesterday, a local (and by local I mean pedigreed) parked in dh's assigned basement stall. So he parked her in and turned off his phone and left his car parked there so she could not use her car for about 36 hours. When he called police to report, they hung up on him three times rather than deal with the complaint. He wanted to leave his car there for days, but unfortunately had to go to Dubai today. But it is this kind of crap that is making us want to just be the eff out of here. Day before yesterday, a woman (not local in the strict sense) flashed her SUV's brights in dd's face, then honked her horn at me, before brushing past me ON OUR BIKES with about 4 inches between us, rather than respect our right of way in a parking lot. We are ready to not be here for a while. These are exactly the people I don't want my children to become. And poor dh is likely not going to get a chance to be out of here until September. Maybe it will be easier on him in some ways with us gone at least.

Wednesday is our long day. We all have Arabic, dd has a teacher meeting, I have evening yoga. I walked rather than run this morning (rest day!), and the plan is to be up early and on the street by 6 tomorrow morning, and hopefully get in about 6 miles.

#71 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 AM

My RP is back! She's still jet lagged, and wanted to walk. I went early, ran a mile, 5x100s, bleachers, and did my strength and stretch routine, walked 5 miles listening to the trip tales, and then ran home. I feel good.

Parent engagement and involvement can be of high or low quality. Many parents seem to insist on helping in the classroom, and teachers set some to do things like cutting out shapes. It makes me wonder if it's parental busy work. I'm not sure if that's presumptuous or not. Of course, we're the kind of family that finds having all the cutsy stuff on the walls to be distracting. Most important in parental engagement, of course, is the kind of engagement that can be broadly assumed here, that is, engaged in looking at returned work, making sure homework is done, giving access to books.
#72 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 AM

Geo, if homeschooling quality were assessed based on how much like an elementary classroom, I would be assessed a giant failure. However, both kids have had an ambitious and successful school year. For me, yes--I am all up in their work, but I am not the mom you want to cut 28 gingerbread men from brown construction paper.

OK, so the dumb car park issue is (for now) resolved. And Arabic is finally really beginning to click (emphasis on beginning). Dd will finish Lit tomorrow, leaving her French and next grade's math to work on for the rest of the school year. Woot! Go dd! Ds finished Comp yesterday and is on track to finish up all but French by the 20th or so. I just dumped a big sum on our language instruction for summer, but it is worth it if my kids can arrive in Morocco and tell people in two languages to keep their hands out of their suitcases. wild.gif

#73 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Geo, if homeschooling quality were assessed based on how much like an elementary classroom, I would be assessed a giant failure. However, both kids have had an ambitious and successful school year. For me, yes--I am all up in their work, but I am not the mom you want to cut 28 gingerbread men from brown construction paper.

LOL. lol.gifROTFLMAO.gif

I think teachers need to be trained in how to use parents. As in it should be a part of pre-service teacher training.

I have 30 minutes a week for each classroom.

I have elementary and middle school teaching experience.  (and am, if I say so myself, pretty good with kids).

I hold a PhD in science.

My 30 minutes a week is sometimes cutting out stuff.

I like to think I'm helping the teachers, but think next year I might get more pushy -- I've got skillz baby.

#74 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 AM

and also:  I couldn't help but think seinfeld meets Arabic on the car park issue.

#75 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

and also:  I couldn't help but think seinfeld meets Arabic on the car park issue.

spitdrink.gif

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

I don't have much intelligent to add here; I've been following along and thinking about all these issues but every time I get on the computer some weird lassitude overtakes me and I don't really have the mojo to participate cogently. Hmmm. I am also not the mother you want cutting anything out, crafty-wise (I was the "U" for Unsatisfactory earner in elementary and middle school art class eyesroll.gif). I am good at organizing people/events/fundraising, dealing with instruction issues (sometimes), providing resources (How to Teach So Kids Can Learn) etc. Frequently I am however not so impressed with other humans and get frustrated and annoyed by them in all kinds of unproductive ways. This is especially true when it comes to attitudes about school and issues surrounding school/education/kids' classroom experiences, etc. Probably it doesn't help matters that I am: a) something of a radical/maverick when it comes to educational philosophy; and 2) an educator myself, with strong opinions about how kids should be treated.

Hmmm.

Ok anyway. I am proctoring the Calculus AP this morning -- you proctor a test which is out of your department. One way to ensure no cheating would be to put me in the Calculus AP. lol.gif I'm actually really good at advanced statistics but suffered through exactly 1 hour of Calculus in college before dropping it, never to be seen again in my life.

RR: 5+ choppy and unrhythmic miles this morning. Better run yesterday, good one on Sunday. I seem to be really uneven these days with how the runs go.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#76 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 AM

I'm with you.

I guess there's something with teacher training that says you must have 28 gingerbread men up at all times, rotating to balloons, flowers, and clouds monthly.  All must be recut annually. 

I've only had one year where I felt my time in the classroom was being used well, but only because the teacher couldn't figure out how to run the class more logically.  The spelling curriculum gives every kid their own quasi-personalized list.  So the teacher was giving each kid their test individually.  I started going in and administering 5-6 spelling tests for her each week.  I ask the next year's teacher if she wanted help with that again, and she looked at me blankly -- uhhh, no, the kids pair up and give each other their tests. 

Stretching after yesterday's masochism.

#77 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 AM

Parental invovlement - our school requires a lot of parents (too much IMO). Parents run the library, entirely. Parents teach all the art classes. Parents teach the centers in the kindergarten classrooms. And parent fundraising via PTO pays for a LOT of things (we bought a laminator for the teacher work room, a die cut maker, a new slide for the playground to replace the broken one that has banned kids from the playset all year, a basketball backboard that is regulation height, new PE equipment, etc.)

There is a line between "too much" and "not enough" when it comes to classroom decor I think. DS's awful 4th grade teacher from last year had NOTHING on the walls other than the St. Louis Cardinals schedule hanging behind his desk. It looked dead. His science teacher's room last year is overflowing with projects, bulletin boards, and stuffed animals. Too much. I prefer the natural look of a Reggio classroom rather than jarring colors and cartoony cutouts that seem popular.

RR - going for a walk this morning and getting my RDA of Vitamin D smile.gif. I have to miss kettlebells tonight because I have my last PTO board meeting. Glad I'm done on the PTO board. With library, it's just too much.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#78 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM

So, not helpful but one of my catch phrase answers to why we home school is that it is easier than the parental involvement expected at public school and I get to control my family's schedule. bag.gif I was feeling bad about the level of art instruction my kids are getting because one has asked for more then I remembered parents, including myself, taught the art in her classroom last year...

Nic, ds1 is taking the calc exam this morning but I guess we are on the opposite coast....

I came on here with full intention to write a nice thoughtful post but the girls can find more thingsto fight about than I thought possible. The current topic is how to properly make oatmeal. wild.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#79 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Jo: It just sounds very hurtful when people are so inconsiderate, when I'm sure they are thinking of nothing other than themselves. Your kids would never turn out like that, just impossible given their own family experiences. When do you get to head back to the states?

Gaye: I am with you on the packing. I hate it, too. I hope it all goes very smoothly for you and you have an easy trip.

Sparkle: I like your ideas on discourse!! And rope or no rope, that picture of your DD made me dizzy.

JG clap.gif for your speedy run! Progress!! And give me the library any day - I would love that job. I love shelving, especially non-fiction love.gif

Lisa: Absolutely - there should be a way to participate that does not involve physically being there during usual working hours (and possibly doing something totally lame like cutting out construction paper). Also, what Geo said about being engaged in the child's work, providing a good learning environment at home, etc. is so important.

Geo: How great to have an RP again!

Kerc: Can I just tell you - the other day when you wrote about swimming, a workout and then a run, all in one day? You totally motivated me. I was having a really bad day, just feeling incredibly stressed out and sad. Those are exactly the days when I also have a very, very hard time making myself work out! Anyway, when late in the day I decided to put on my running stuff just in case and then somehow found the time to take a leisurely run down a country road over the creeks and through the wood in the sunshine, with the thistledown floating all around me in the sunshine... I just had this rush of joy and thought "Thank you, Kerc!" It was awesome.

Mommajb wave.gif

Shanti hug2.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#80 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
The current topic is how to properly make oatmeal. wild.gif

Use thick rolled oats only.

Boil water with slightly less than twice the amount of oatmeal.  Pour in the oatmeal, turn off the heat, and cover 20min.  Serve with chopped fruit, nuts, and a tiny amount of brown sugar.

Quote:

Kerc: Can I just tell you - the other day when you wrote about swimming, a workout and then a run, all in one day? You totally motivated me. I was having a really bad day, just feeling incredibly stressed out and sad. Those are exactly the days when I also have a very, very hard time making myself work out! Anyway, when late in the day I decided to put on my running stuff just in case and then somehow found the time to take a leisurely run down a country road over the creeks and through the wood in the sunshine, with the thistledown floating all around me in the sunshine... I just had this rush of joy and thought "Thank you, Kerc!" It was awesome.

Essence of Dingo.

#81 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Even without the "thank you kerc", that description is so lovely. 

#82 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

First run on the streetcar track, calves are doing much better! Still haven't increased my run time, but I'm patient :P

1 min stretching at home

5 min walk

4 min run

3 min stretching/walk

4 min run

3 min walk

3 min run

8 min walk home

Definitely increased my exercise though! 30 mins total instead of 15! So I'm glad, will try to do better next time!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#83 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM

NRR: thank you for your support during the weekend with son's friend.  The friend called ds3 Saturday night to ease son's mind that he was not mad at him and still wanted to  be friends.  This is a boy that just turned 8, and it was his idea (his mom and I have been texting since the visit/accident).  We were able to visit him on Sunday in his home, bringing gift, card, and ice cream cake.  Son and I felt sooo much better after the phone call and the visit.  Son said "you know when you want to cry but because you are happy, not sad?"  AWE!!

RR: took time off from the half Saturday to be sloth like and glutenous.  :)  Today is back on track with apple cider vinegar water, and exercise   Went for a run outside with new garmin and ds1 on his bike for an extended PE session.  Felt SO. GOOD. 

sorry no personals, trying to get ds1's school caught  up, and need to be baking cookies for teacher appreciation week and a sweet potato casserole for Civil War Camp day.  :)

Lisa :)

#84 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 03:16 PM

The "reformers" don't see to care whether parental involvement is useful. The stuff I've read suggests merely that if a parent is "engaged" all sorts of magical things will happen. I'm still quite certain it's fairly self-selecting. Unfortunately, "parental engagement" bills keep surfacing in various state legislatures. Be aware. The most recent bill was requiring all schools in Colorado to have a school improvement team (SIT, though maybe they insisted on renaming it?) with a certain number of parents on it. Now we've been on SIT since R started school. DH usually goes to the meetings (J was 5 months old and wanted to nurse during the meeting time back then), but we've had long discussions about various topics at home so I'm pretty well informed about it. And frankly, a lot of what SIT does is BORING, so it's not like parents are filling up meetings unless an issue near and dear to people's hearts is up for discussion.

And yet, Michael Johnston (Michelle Rhee, etc) want to define it and make it yet another "goal" for schools that they'll need to gather data and report on...without any additional funding, of course. eyesroll.gif

I also think it's a problem when parents devalue the volunteer work of other parents. It's a conversation I've had with other parents had numerous times. Many of our PTA moms define "involvement" as "involved in PTA." Having just spent 3 hours at school with my 3yo leaning on my arm as I tried to play piano with it to accompany orchestra rehearsals before I spent approximately 5 hours at school tomorrow for rehearsals followed by another 3 hours at the concert tomorrow night, well, I think there's a lot that goes unnoticed. I do the PTA stuff too, but the lion's share of my time is spent on music...or putting out stands and chairs and putting them away afterward along with refolding choir vests and putting them back in alphabetical order only to repeat the process again in the evening). My PhD doesn't get put to use, but I guess it's making that undergrad piano major worthwhile.... (I'm not complaining. I'd go to the ends of the earth to support this orchestra and music program.)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#85 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Use thick rolled oats only.
Boil water with slightly less than twice the amount of oatmeal.  Pour in the oatmeal, turn off the heat, and cover 20min.  Serve with chopped fruit, nuts, and a tiny amount of brown sugar.
... no, no , no ... lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#86 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM

So many lovely responses.
Lisa, I love reading about your music program at school. clap.gif

Kerc, you do have the essence of Dingo woman down. love.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

So, not helpful but one of my catch phrase answers to why we home school is that it is easier than the parental involvement expected at public school and I get to control my family's schedule. bag.gif
yeahthat.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

ROTFLMAO.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

I just dumped a big sum on our language instruction for summer, but it is worth it if my kids can arrive in Morocco and tell people in two languages to keep their hands out of their suitcases. wild.gif
biglaugh.gif Love that!

Jaxy, way to go on getting out there! thumb.gif

In my family, there is only one person who makes the best oatmeal in the world. I have made oatmeal countless times, many ways. Rolled, not rolled. Soaked, not soaked. Milk, yogurt, etc. You know who my family talks about when they wax poetic about oatmeal? Plady Yep! Just a few days ago, I heard them talking about Plady's oatmeal. I think I've unconsciously copped an attitude because, no offense, I just want to roll my eyes now if they ask for oatmeal. They're just going to complain how it's not like Plady's. orngbiggrin.gif

Okay, taking off for a run right now. Events around my house were pretty hairy today. See the snake that is in the roof of my laundry room here unless you don't want nightmares. winky.gif

Someone suggested sprints, I think, so I've been working in sprints on off days and I feel so much better. I just did sprints for about 20 minutes doing the loop to the blueberry patch. It was fun and I think sprinting on off days may be the way to get my weight to my maintenance goal. Love how I feel afterwards. Bolt.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#87 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Chuckling about the homeschooling/parental involvement bit. (I'm assuming it was meant to be ironic....) Everything I do at school is because I want to, not because it's expected. I'm not sure what's expected, other than there's a stereotype about uninvolved parents and that there are a lot of stereotypes about parents in general these days anyhow. I'm hoping our SIT will run a survey next year about parental engagement so we can more accurately measure all the ways parents are involved. Even at our school there's a perception about uninvolved parents but I'm highly doubtful that more than a handful aren't involved either by doing something for the school or supervising homework.

I'm happy to report it's raining instead of snowing. Also, I would like to lay down and sleep. Instead, I will practice for church, run handbell choir, run 5 miles, practice more, grade papers, pay bills and then collapse.

Sending goodvibes.gif out to everyone who might need them. And especially to parents of 3-year-olds. wink1.gif

#88 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Essence of dingo? Sorry, I can't help but roflmao. Because all I can think of is dog poop smell.

Yeah. Apparently I'm also a 10 yr old boy.

Hour long burn off steam bike ride.

#89 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Trying to come up with an adjective that describes 'involvment' that starts with 'H' to go into Real's School Improvement Team. It would go with kerc's essence of dingo.

Went to a parent group meeting for the monthly lecture. The speaker was awful. Good thing I'm involved and sit through that stuff patiently.

The director caught me sitting there picking at my split ends.
#90 of 371 Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Guess you need a trim then, Geo.

Lofty, that snake. yikes2.gif Not my favorite. I don't know how I would do surrounded by so many of those. Of course, I have a whole population of arrogant, racist, entitled people trying to kill me with SUVs, so maybe snakes aren't so bad. Maybe you can reason with a snake.

I am about to hit the pavement. With my feet. It's 6AM and there is daylight but not yet sunshine, and it's only on the verge of 80, so this must be my moment. Off to find my inhaler and see how many miles I can make it.

Tags
Fitness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page