Forum Jump: 

#1 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

~~~~~~~~~~~~jog.gif~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the May 2013 Dingo thread. run.gif

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Jo for the perky opening/mission statement!
Edited by tjsmama - 4/1/13 at 10:59pm & stolen borrowed one month later by Mel38  winky.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#2 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

jog.gif 2013 Dingo Race List
:

mel38 - Lowcountry Splash, June 1, 2013

Nickarolaberry - Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, June 2, 2013

Dmitrizmom - Grinnell Games Half Marathon, June 8, 2013

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #2, June 16, 2013

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Tri, June 22, 2013

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon, July 14, 2013

bec - Door County Triathlon - Half Ironman, July 21, 2013

JayGee - GeoComfort TriGreen Triathlon, August 11, 2013

tjsmama - Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Olympic distance Saturday, Sprint distance Sunday) on August 17-18, 2013

1jooj - Fox Cities Half, Sept 22, 2013

tjsmama - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013

jog.gif  2014  jog.gif

Nickarolaberry - Goofy Race and a Half Challenge, January 12, 2014

Special dates:

candle.gif September 24, 2012  Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts. stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#3 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

run.gif2013 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

mommajb - Tinkerbell Half, January 20, 2013

mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 26, 2013 - 1:38:46

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K, January 27, 2013

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon, February 10, 2013 - 1:59:47

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k, March 10, 2013 - 41:58

JayGee - AOH 5k - March 10, 2013 - 27:48 (DS's time - 26:53, for his first 5K ever!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon, March 24, 2013

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k, April 5, 2013 - 1:00:28

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint Triathlon, April 20, 2013 - 1:32:21

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

tjsmamaCherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler, April 28, 2013 1:41:58

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k, May 4, 2013 - 1:00:?

Dmitrizmom -  Pieathlon, May 11, 2013

JayGee & DD1 - St. Louis Girls on the Run 5k, May 11, 2013 - 41:00

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 4:00:44

tjsmama - Colfax 1/2 Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 2:15:54

Dmitrizmom -  Gladiator Assault Challenge, May 19, 2013

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #1, May 19, 2013 - 1:26:37

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 53:11

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 59:07

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#4 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Gaye - so sorry to hear of your loss. The photo you posted on FB from your wedding is so sweet.

Plady - poor kitty, so sorry. I hope your family ceremony was nice.

hug.gif JG! So sorry about that traumatic dentist visit. Loftmama is right - he's probably dealt with worse. It's such an anxiety-producing procedure.

Hello to all my Dingo friends! I've been missing you guys!

Gaye, Bec, Lofty and Jen - I am missing race results for all of you... sorry bag.gif I will go back through the April thread, but if you happen to be here and can re-type your times, I would be much obliged. blowkiss.gif

Interesting math ideas! I am loving this discussion and notes.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#5 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the new thread!

Can you add DD1 and me to the race list - St. Louis Girls on the Run 5K, May 11 smile.gif.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#6 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Um, you didn't miss mine. There weren't any. bag.gif

Hi everyone! Had the awesome experience of an enormous owl flying right toward me during the pre-dawn hours. Felt very.... meaningful...Majestic. Hope it's taking care of the skunk problem.

Running later. smile.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#7 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM

It's not really May, is it?

I got discharged from PT on Tuesday.  I have strict instructions on strength and flexibility training.  I did just 2/3 of my 3x/week routine during DS's 1 hour soccer practice the other day.  Working this in will be tough.  But I have to.

Since we finished the couch and moved it back to its sunny window, I've struggled to get a good picture of it.  But, it's done!

The hardest part was exactly what we thought it was going to be, which was using the tacking strip on the back sides and on the arm fronts.

We may still spend $60+ on new foam for the cushions, but I sewed the cover in a way that it should be no problem to just replace.

All told, it was about $250 for the fabric, replacement foam & cotton, and a staple gun. 

And more importantly, I have my insomnia couch back!

#8 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Thanks for the new thread!

Can you add DD1 and me to the race list - St. Louis Girls on the Run 5K, May 11 smile.gif.

Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Um, you didn't miss mine. There weren't any. bag.gif

lol.gif OK smile.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#9 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Hi all. Subbing for May.

Gaye, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, may she rest in peace.

Interesting math discussion. I have to admit, as a math phobic (albeit statistics savvy) I checked out as soon as I saw the conversation. lol.gif

Mel, you can take down Vermont City. Not doing it.

I am however, contemplating a triathlon. Whew, I said it. Mixed feelings...terrified of swimming in open water (although I am a very good swimmer, although not fast) and biking amongst others. Also there's the investment required (no bike, no usable swimsuit, etc.). There are a couple sprints in my area in the summer after my half...I don't know, we'll see.

Coming down to the wire with my AP class. Stress in there abounds. Hormones + (underground) prom crazies + AP = wacky students and exhausted teacher.

Running is going ok but very choppy lately. Some really great runs and some awful ones. Could be the pollen, or the sudden uptick in temps (which I love but is hard to adjust to so quickly) and my perennial stomach instability. Sigh. Hoping for a sub-2 half in the beginning of June but who knows...

Ok, trying to get dinner ready and kids out of my personal space.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#10 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 03:38 PM

Mel - Can you add to the list for me:  May 11 - Pieathlon (doing it as a team with some friends) www.pieathlon.com, May 19 - Gladiator Assault Challenge (http://www.gladiatorassaultchallenge.com/IOWASEVEN), June 8 - Grinnell Games Half Marathon (http://www.grinnellgames.com/run.html), July 14 - Iowa Games Triathlon (http://www.iowagames.org/Sports/SummerGames/Triathlon.aspx).  Thanks!

Geo - love the couch!

Gaye - thoughts and prayers to your family

Shanti - thinking about you lately and sending hugs

Nick - I did my first tri last summer and am hooked. I did a sprint distance in open water (ok, a lake) and it was fun.  Seriously considering putting a longer one on my list for this year and aiming for an iron man before my 45th bday in '18.

Finished up my spring semester yesterday, need to get cracking on my 8 week courses stuff that starts in 18 days.

I've been doing a weekend boot camp - 2 hours on Saturday mornings to prep for the Gladiator. This is the last weekend, but I'm dreading it... something about snow on the 2nd and 3rd of freaking MAY. Really don't want to be both cold and wet. Can handle either one or the other. LOL.  We do about 6-7 miles with a decent elevation change thru the woods on animal paths... hard work, but fun.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#11 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 05:20 PM

jog.gif

Subbing, will hopefully pop back in later tonight with personals, race results, and a run report (with real, yay!)! In the meantime, off to work my call ($$$$)...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#12 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Hi. Serious craziness abounds. But I'm here.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#13 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM

Have a great race, CO Dingoes!

Mel38, can you put me down for the Fox Cities Half, Sept 22? blowkiss.gif

Geo, the couch looks super. I am impressed! 

Think I am just going out for a long walk this morning, once I get myself moving. I ended up with a little bit of swimming and a little biking on top of yesterday's LR. Weather looks to be perfect for the beach again today, so that is most likely where I will end up. Vitamin D, you know. There's still a book on my Kindle...

#14 of 371 Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 PM

Geo--nice job on the couch! Why is it your insomnia couch?

1jooj--have a great walk (and read?).

tjsmama--yay $$!

DM--yeah, I'm over the snow. We had our 8th snowstorm in as many weeks on May 1.

Nic--Sierra Trading Post has some decent swimsuits at decent prices. That's where I've gotten my practice ones. I'm also contemplating one, but there's the open water thing and it's the same weekend as a duathlon. Let's see...the duathlon is located maybe 15 minutes away and there's no swimming and it's cheaper, whereas the triathlon is further away, involves swimming and is more expensive...hmmm. Good luck with the crazed AP students!

Hello to everyone else!

RR: ran a fabulous 10 miler with tjsmama this morning. It flew by, as in, by the end my legs were feeling kind of tired but I wasn't exactly sure why that was. Mentally it did not feel like 10. Also, I got to deliver her Secret Sprinter reveal package in person, which was very fun. orngbiggrin.gif Beautiful day, great weather, and J was awesome in the stroller. She slept through the last 3-4 miles, I think, after having a snack. Then we had coffee and lunch too.
joy.gif

Prayer & good thoughts request: there's a really bright third-grader at our school named Griffin who has epilepsy. It went from mostly under control to completely out of control. Last April he had a left orbital frontal resection. He recovered fine but it didn't help the seizures. So today he had surgery to remove a great deal of his left hemisphere and cut the connection between the two sides. His parents posted that he's out and it went as well as it could go. If you could keep him and his family in your thoughts it would be much appreciated. The surgery will leave him permanently disabled on one side. They think there's a good chance he'll learn to walk again, though he will always have a limp and possibly need a brace. He also need therapy to learn to speak again, among other things. It's a really difficult situation for everyone. If you want to know more, search for the Facebook group Eagle Lion. Thanks!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#15 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 AM

geo~The couch looks awesome!

mel38~1:41:58 for the Cherry Creek Sneak. Also, I haven't signed up yet, but you can put me down for the Bolder Boulder on May 27. smile.gif

Real and I had quite a lovely 10 mile run, as 10 mile runs go. orngtongue.gif It really did go by quickly, it's amazing what a difference having some company makes! My legs were tired and sore, but the weather was beautiful, the conversation was great, and the coffee and lunch after were quite lovely. And I got a special delivery Secret Sprinter package. love.gif (I used the creamer in my coffee tonight and yummy.gif...AND I'm wearing my new socks orngbiggrin.gif)

I am working my call shift tonight, which I'm actually pretty ok with. I mean, I never really WANT to work, but DS is at a sleepover (making life easier), and I can use the $$$ (and time and a half for 12 hours is a good bit of $$$), so it's all good.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#16 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 AM

Insomnia couch - it's where I move when I can't sleep. 

Kindle ~ any free or nearly free kindle book recommendations to keep a voracious 10 year old reader satisfied for 10 days, including two trans-Atlantic flights?

I met with the city engineer and the assist city manager about sidewalks and other Safe Routes to School issues.  It's good to know where the allies are (in the city manager's office) and where they aren't (on the city council).  I've got some marching orders, but the city engineer might just get a 1 block sidewalk section installed that's on an uphill, narrow, and into the sun stretch.  250 kids could potentially come through that block on foot to school.  joy.gif Boooyah.

Monday, I meet with the district's intervention services director with my agenda on that front.  DD wants to go to the state STEM school next year in search of peers.  DH and I think we'd be giving up too much in the way of music, art, gym, and language -- that is, the stuff that makes us human.  I'm going to ask the intervention services director to stack her classes with peers.  (Amongst other agenda items that more broadly serve the 2e kids in the district).

No run today.  I'm cleaning up a creek with 200 cub scouts.  Help.

#17 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 AM

Subbing
#18 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the fresh thread Mel!

Geo - The couch looks fantastic!  I'm so impressed with your skills and turn around time.  Good luck with the scouts!  200 kids is like our entire high school.

Real - Sending some thoughts toward Griffin, what a rough road he's on.

Nic - I've gotten some good deals on suits at swimoutlet.com too.  They have had a cheap grab bag option that I've used with success a number of times.  You just choose a size and basic style and they send a random color/pattern.  And you save some $ by not having to choose.

MelW-  Thinking of your dd with all this gorgeous weather we're having, hoping she's able to enjoy it somehow without consequence.

JayGee - Wow, that must have been quite a scene at the dentist.  They probably should have given dd more/different gas and you some too.  hug2.gif

Thank you all for the condolences, Lofty, yes, it was Ninj.  

The play has been going well although our audiences have been smaller than I'd like.  I generally don't get nervous before a performance but on Thursday during my big solo I got a few lines in and then completely forgot every lyric.  I sort of made it up for what seemed like forever but couldn't even remember the tune (and Sondheim here is no help at all).  Finally I found a line to grab onto which happened to be only one line away from where I'd first gotten lost and so I finished the song and possibly some people didn't realize what a train wreck it had been.  However, holy stage fright batman!  Last night before that scene I felt like I was going to throw up I was so nervous.  Just the thought of such a brain fart happening again was practically crippling.  But then I got out there and the audience was so responsive and awesome that everything went beautifully and it was the best version yet.  Whew!  That was probably a good lesson about getting complacent right?  Oy.  

An interesting side effect of all this is that I have just lost a bunch of weight over the past three weeks.  I'm now tipping into the 130's for the first time since maybe high school.  I love it, it feels great but I also know that if it's due to the insane schedule I've been on I can't expect it to last.  I hope though that I can keep it steady with diet and exercise.  I was amazed at how much easier push-ups are when you're down 7 pounds.  Huge difference.

RR: someday it will happen.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#19 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 AM

hammer.gif The one holding the hammer is my professors and the other one is me

I have been reading along, but just too dizzy.gif to deal:

Geo - your productivity on all fronts inspires and makes me feel like a loser both lol.gif Congrats on the couch
Gaye - sorry to hear about your grandma's passing goodvibes.gif
Nic - do the triathlon, I will live vicariously!! (its all about me of course) Good luck with the end-of-semester
Kerc - i dont have that problem w/ my first born, but others (perfectionism, fear of failure...) I hope you find something that works
Lofty - so cool about the eagle. one of these days I'll light out [in my non-existent/fantasy pick-up truck] for east Texas for a visit ....
mamajb - congrats to your son!
JG - sad for your dd (the fear, confusion), and dont worry about the dentist! Im sure they know it can happen
Plady - sorry about kitty greensad.gif Is Dh Saul yet? lol.gif

RR: nothing for weeks and weeks

NR: slogging through the final projects of the semester; 2 20 page papers. Just. Dont. Care. Anymore. Im done with classes, papers are due Tues/Wed. respectively. hormone/mood stuff has been a steep learning curve (involving the most debilitating and scary depression I have ever experienced - or want to - same for anxiety, and panic attacks. Ive never had any of these in my life. The past few months have been chock full; 5 panic attacks) .... ok, I'll tell the sort of funny story. I called 911 with the first one. It happened in the middle of the night, right out of sleep, Dh at work, and I thought I was having a heart attack. After I got an ambulance on the way (and started to realize I probably dont need one), I called dh. He managed to get his patients covered for 30 minutes to come. By then, I was in the back of the ambulance getting my vitals checked when he approached and the paramedics saw him and said "hey! we know you!". Um yeah. Mortified. bag.gif Tragedy plus time = comedy. I might be almost there ....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#20 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 AM

p.s. Went climbing (i.e. chaperoned) with DD1's climbing team last weekend. Here is a sample of one of the two most impressive climbs she did.

Here's the formation she was on

And here she is:

AppleMark

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#21 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 AM

sparkle jaw.gif to all of it. Good and bad. And that rock.

Plady, I wish I could see you performing.

#22 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM

RR: ran the mini today in 1:47, 8 minutes slower than I would have liked. Although I was very worked up about a traumatic accident at our house last night. I also did new things that I shouldn't have and have learned from this.

NRR: ds3 (8yo) had a friend over after school, first time this kid has been here and within 15 minutes I'm sending him to the hospital for emergency surgery on his leg. Literally two jumps on our trampoline, his leg gets ripped open something nasty (I'm talking bone visible). He had to stay on the hospital until this afternoon. My dear child feels horrible that this happened and is traumatized by the event and the view of the leg.

Gaye - so sorry about your gma

Plady - sorry about your kitty.

Sparkle - wow!!!

Bec - super amazed at your accomplishments!!! Hope your trip home was safe.
#23 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have a question for y'all...

I'm a newbie regarding jogging, started a month ago, never been a jogger since they would force us to run in high school and I've always been overweight and very self-conscious...

Anyway, like I said I started a month ago and I love it! I only jog for 10 mins (without stopping, which is good for me) but I wonder if y'all have any advice...? I have an alright cardio since I ride my bike to work 4 days a week (35 mins at a time) but what makes me stop is that burning feeling in my calves... I read that sprinting makes you loose your belly pretty fast, what do you think? I did sprint today and my throat was on fire... You think I should stick to normal jogging or give sprinting a try? Any tips? Also I have crappy 10$ Wal-Mart shoes, any particular brands that are affordable (50-60$) but good?

Sorry to pop in like that, but I think I really need advise... 2whistle.gif

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#24 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Ugh, RM, hug.gif that could happen to any of us. Poor ds and poor kid. We have a trampoline and love it but I am constantly worried. Yikes! Good job on your race, by the way!

Jess, where do I start? okay ditto Jo. jaw2.gif That is Some.Rock! The hormone roller coaster - crap.gif and the papers. uhoh3.gif I don't know how you manage at all. And when you wrote, "someday I'm going to light out ... in my head, I said, "for the territory ahead. Because Aunt Sally's going to sivilize me and I can't stand it. I been there before." Were you thinking that when you wrote it? One of my all-time favorite lines. We say that around here all the time. So, you light out whenever you want. No sivilation here. orngbiggrin.gif

Plady, still sad about Ninj. Thrilled dh passed the bar. Now what? Yay for the Play! I'm so glad you got back on that horse. Sounds like the second night was great!! AND... yay for the weight loss. Now if you can figure out how to maintain it, let me know!

RR & TJsmama, love your run report. So happy you got to meet up and share the Secret Sprinter reveal in person! Too cool. clap.gif

I think there was more... headscratch.gif

RR: Got in a run this morning. This strange cool weather begs for a run. But I'm so frustrated to only be maintaining my weight. I really wanted to lose at least 10 more pounds this year and maintain NEXT year. So, I know it's a head game for me and I just haven't figured out how to play it yet at my age, with my energy, in my space/place, etc. I'm all ears for tricks. Dh & I were just wondering at what ages our boys will be able to hike a big trail with us (AT, PT or Santiago) and I thought 13 & 16 or 14 & 17. Then I added up my age and that will make me 50. yikes.gif So I BETTER get my act together. I will NOT be an OLD LADY to my kids. Not. Not. Not. My favorite exercise these days is lifting weights. It just feels better afterward than yoga or running but I am no good with accountability. So... thinking about my new, approaching 50, headgame. rolleyes.gif

#25 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Jaxy, x-posted with you. I think running/walking is a good plan since you're new at running. Also, I wouldn't run too much in questionable shoes. I prefer running barefoot or in Vibrams but when I wore regular running shoes, it was very, very important to go to a good, specialized running store and get a recommendation. Now, this isn't for everybody but if money is tight, you can go and figure out what shoe will work for you and then look for it on eBay. Of course, you don't know how many miles have already have already been put on that shoe, so it might not be a good idea. When I found the shoe I loved, I bought several pairs at once bc they were on sale. But when I switched to barefoot, I didn't need them anymore and sold them. So, you never know... Good luck and Welcome and isn't jazz fest going on now? It must be C-r-a-z-y in NO!

#26 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM

Sorry to be dominating the thread.

Geo, there was just a thread about this on the homeschool forum. Amazon and Audible and Whispersync are running a promotion to get you to use Whispersync. If you download the book through Whispersync (I think) it's free. You can switch from audio to non-audio and go back and forth. There were lots of classic kids books. Some are free and some are .99. You can buy these and just not listen to it if you would rather read and vice versa.

Books for free on the Kindle. (Did you say Kindle)
Here

And here deals for .99

Let me know if you do this because I really want to try it but I just subscribed to Audible for $7.95 per month but I like the idea of switch back and forth better bc ds1 prefers reading and ds2 prefers listening. Hope it works. Where are you heading?

Congrats on the couch.

#27 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 PM

Sparkle, Runningmommy, hug2.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#28 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Jaxy, I think some intervals or hills would be a great way to build up strength instead of just straight jogging. Also run/walk intervals to increase your run time- take it slowly with sore calves and get to a running store to get properly fitted.

Sparkle, that's an impressive climb! Big hugs to you. I've been thinking of you often.

Geo, great couch work!

Plady, congrats to our DH on the bar and to you on the play. The blank moment in stage sounds like the stuff of nightmares.

RM, sorry about the trampoline trauma. Sorry the stress slowed your run, too.

RR- Bootcamp last night was crossfit inspired. The trainer has been doing some crossfit and incorporating it into our workouts. I loathe box jumps. Today I stripped and painted my back door frame and door today that's been beaten up by winter storms. It was a post-push-up arm burner.

NRR- My husband is back from his week away and making major adjustments in our office for his arthritis. We're now equipped with voice recognition software and more excitingly a standing work station. I need a step stool to use it truly ergonomically (he's 10ish inches taller), but I still like it.

As Plady mentioned, we're having a heat wave! Nora is doing okay with some limits on outside time and de-pollination baths. We're still making weekly visits to the Chinese medicine doctor, and he tweaked her herbs and cupping regimen again today. We're working on some dietary stuff too (hot/cold) and way ahead of where we were last year at this time. Since late January she's had ventolin twice and Benadryl once. Last year we went through four bottles of Benadryl and several inhalers in the same time period.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#29 of 371 Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 PM

I found the thread. speaking my post isn't working well but typing isn't going much better. I spent all day outside at the water. We had outrigger races all day long. Two daughters raced and the third claimed a kite from a tree and flew it most of the day. Plady, we were at d'anza cove by the playground played at. Fun, dirty , and exhausting.
Lofty, my boys are 11 years apart. I wonder how their perceptions of me will vary. I am older but no longer pregnant all the time!
I want to say more but exhausted little people are feisty not sleepy! I must go help them.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#30 of 371 Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 AM

How scary, RM.

Thanks for the list, Lofty.

Welcome, Jaxy. For what you describe, while you work on finding better shoes, find a softer surface to run on. Even the street's asphault is actually softer than a sidewalk's cement. Better would be to find a track (zzzzzz) or run along some grass or dirt. Be sure to stretch and warm up. So if I were you, I'd do

10 min walk
Stretch break with long (30sec) stretches on those calves 2-3 times.
Jog 5 min
Walk 2 min, stretch if necessary at the end of the walk break, and then repeat the jog-walk cycle 3 times.

This will increase you running time, and hopefully help your calves.

Brilliant idea: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amy-wruble/lets-move-mothers-day_b_3142759.html?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page