Dingoes running into the summer sunshine -- June! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 267 Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bec - have a great swim!

Plady - your new kitty is adorable smile.gif.

mommajb - you crack me up! I think my sanity is also on vacation with yours and bec's

Nic - thinking of you and your family and sending positive thoughts

RR - ran 3 on Thursday, nothing yesterday, will hopefully bike this afternoon or evening

NRR - Yesterday was an exercise in frustration. The service tech was scheuled to come out "between 1 and 5" to fix our fridge. At 4:55 I still hadn't heard from him, so I called. The customer service person said they had no record of my appointment for yesterday which is BS because I got a confirmation call the day before. And they also said they had been at my house for 40 minutes on Wednesday, which is also BS because DH was here ALL DAY and no one ever came to fix anything. So now I have to reschedule again, still have a broken fridge, and DD1 had to miss her riding lesson because we were waiting around for the repair man. I cancelled the service order with this particular company, and now have to find a different repair company that will honor our warranty. Argh!!!!!

But, on a good note, we had a great afternoon at home yesterday, playing Monopoly, reading in cozy nests, and playing outside.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#62 of 267 Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM
bec

Well, something happened between when I posted and about midway through the swim.  I started feeling really nauseous.  Ugh.  I made it through the swim, but did think I might hurl a couple of times in the lake (eewww).  Came home and showered and took a nap for over an hour.  Now, I'm chilled, but the stomach is more settled.  I think I will lay low for the rest of the day.  Other than not feeling well, the swim went pretty well.  The water was chilly, but I got used to it as I warmed up.  Happy for the wetsuit!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#63 of 267 Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Bec, could that be from water in your ears? I hope you feel better soon. That actually sounds like a good swim though, and kudos to you for getting out there.

JG, arg! That is awfully frustrating to have to wait around all day! Plus having them claim you weren't on their list? Gar. I hope the fridge is fixed or that you have at least found another (more reliable) company.

I am home from the funeral, and it was so beautiful and terrible at the same time. It was really hard to see the mother in black, hear her sobbing as she walked to the front aisle - it was so heart-wrenching, I am never, ever going to forget that sound. I just wish them some peace and some happiness, some day.

candle.gif

Now I am trying to finish up some work, but I am kind of drained. I think I will go watch the kids play in the yard. I feel guilty doing that when they can't. I guess now I am just being ridiculous, so I'll sulkoff.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#64 of 267 Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Dingoes, if anyone's reading tonight, I could use some prayers/vibes/etc. for my dad. He's in the ER, abdominal pain so bad he's crying, shaking, and vomiting. Docs don't know what it is, ruling stuff out. Waiting for the CT results now. This is hard.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#65 of 267 Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Sending all I can muster. goodvibes.gifFor tranquility and easing of pain and fear. Sending love.

#66 of 267 Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 PM

Sending love and hopes for easy answers and a quick end to the pain.

Mel - candle.gif

JayGee - Ugh on the repairmen!  

Just back from my birthday picnic by the sea.  It was really nice, mellow and friendly.  A good end to this week.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#67 of 267 Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 AM

Towson - goodvibes.gif maybe gallbladder?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#68 of 267 Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 AM

Hope you have answers by now, Townson, and your father is on the mend.

We just cleaned out the art cabinet, and then I took a broom to DD's room, creating a 5' wide pile of crapola. We're going to have to pay for another trash can tomorrow, despite just having put one out last week. Normally we go 3 weeks.

DD appears to be eating her way through Paris' street food and climbing it off at every park she can find. My mom is discovering just how many there are now that she's traveling with my monkey.
#69 of 267 Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Thanks, everyone. Quick update from phone: he has an abdominal aortic anyuerism (sp?). Incredibly lucky it was discovered before it burst. Why do we Google medical diagnoses?? Remind me not to do that again.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#70 of 267 Old 06-09-2013, 07:17 AM

Geo, I hope your parents (and daughter) thoroughly enjoy this trip. How familiar are they with Paris? I am not terribly familiar having only been once but I think including so many playgrounds sounds like a great way to meet people and see a new side of a city they may already love.

bec, our collective sanity had better be having a good time! So sorry you felt ill while swimming. Was the water clean enough that that isn't the problem?

kerc, goodvibes.gif on the sewer and water line replacement. Maybe we should set up Camp Dingo here for a stretch in June that covers much of AP grading? Everyone could drop in when they could given end of school and other limits. I might have to invite a few like minded women that aren't officially dingos who would fit right in. This is sounding good!

JayGee, an afternoon at home isn't all bad but you need fridge!

hug.gif, Mel38. What a tough day and weeks to come for your community.

towson, I hope our dad is on the road to recovery soon.

plady, may you keep that feeling of peace about you, at least in the back of your thoughts, all year.

June Gloom is hitting us hard this year but I think we will hit some rocky shores for climbing this afternoon. It is only 7:15 but I have a couple dinner ideas and the kids aren't fighting nor have they asked for food yet. Today is good so far. winky.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#71 of 267 Old 06-09-2013, 07:52 AM

Geo: I love purging those kinds of junk-collecting areas in the house. Your DD's trip sounds fabulous!

Mommajb: I hope you get your climbing in. Dinner ideas + non-demanding kids is indeed a good start to the day.

Plady: Ahh, the birthday re-do sounds perfect. Your kitty is gorgeous, by the way.

Towson: How is your dad today? My FIL just had the surgery to repair an abdominal aortica aneurism.

This is a link to a story on the news about the young boy who passed away. The picture of him running in the rain, that was a 5k that I ran back in the spring with my oldest DD and wrote up here. Peyton won his age group & he loved to run in the rain.

This morning, I biked to the memorial run and then biked home. It was 23 miles round trip on the bike and about 2 miles with the coach's couch-to-5k group. Tons of people showed up, over 100! It was great - there was lots of clapping and cheering, so many people around here love this family. I finally had a chance to just tell the dad that I am sorry.

Camp Dingo jog.gifcoolshine.gifgrouphug.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#72 of 267 Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 AM

Mel, the ride and run seems a fitting tribute.

Woah, glad they found that, townson! Hopefully he'll be on the mend soon.

My parents go to France about once a year, though generally just a few days in Paris at a time. They're taking each grand child in turn to Paris once they're old enough. Rough life.

I need to take DS to the library to collect his prizes, as he's finished the summer reading program that started Tuesday (read 15 hours). There are bonus rounds, don't worry. wink1.gif. I suspect that getting a feww more Ga'Hoole books might also be prudent.
#73 of 267 Old 06-09-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Towson, glad your dad's situation was diagnosed before it got worse. I hope he gets it resolved asap and no more pain.

Mel, hug2.giffor that little dude's family. That's heartbreaking.

Bec, no matter how hard it is to stuff yourself into a westsuit, you rock. Frankly I think there is no possible way to just ease into one. Even my ectomorph, 6'2", 165 lb. very fit husband has to struggle into his. 

Speaking of which, Team Nickarolaberry's Family did a relay triathlon this morning. It was a super sprint (very short) -- dh swam 300 yds, dd1 biked 6.5 miles, and I ran a mile. It was dd's first race and she rocked it. Finished and while I was fastening on the chip she said, next year I'm doing the whole race! Actually, 1 mile was a hard distance for me. I don't sprint. What I lack in speed I make up for in endurance. I don't know my split yet but I ran fast and felt fast, but wore myself out. No long run today. lol.gif  I did warm up with a 2 mile run (lol, longer than the race) though. Our 'team' got 3rd in the results...don't tell dd there were only 3 relay teams. Shhhh...she's so excited by her medal. 2whistle.gif

I think the tri bug finally bit me though. I'm signing up for the Athleta Iron Girl sprint tri in late July. I need a bike, but I guess I have a little time. I can do swimming at the JCC and spin there until I get a bike to use. Am I nuts?! I have to think what running race I want to do next and I feel sort of like another summer half or full isn't worth it since I really do have a time goal, and the weather is better here in fall for making that kind of PR. Have to think about it. I don't think Goofy is going to happen, financially it's just too much.

So Mel, can you please take down Goofy for me? If I do end up signing up for it you can put it back. 

So, Plady, my freshman college roommate dated your brother in high school and for a few months their freshman year in college. She's from Storrs, CT. shy.gif  She saw you on my fb and pm'ed me to ask if it was the same P.H.

Whoa, serious headache. 5 hours in the sun this morning (we were the last award....stayed til they were breaking down transition. ugh.) and I think I need to go hydrate.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#74 of 267 Old 06-09-2013, 07:11 PM

I am waaaay behind, but here goes trying to get caught up on personals...

mel38~I am so sorry. It sounds like the run was a great tribute, though. hug.gif

plady~Love the new kitty!

geo~I am uber-jealous of your DD. What a fun trip. I love Paris, but haven't been in years.

kerc~Ooooh, Denver in October??? That would be lovely!

towson~Holy crap! I am SO SO SO glad they caught it in time, yikes! Hope he's well on the way to recovery!

nic~Congrats to your team!

DS headed out of town with his dad Thursday night, so I am on my own until the 24th. So far, I am still very much in the ahhhhhh phase of his absence. I give that until at least the end of the week before I really start missing him. orngtongue.gif In the meantime, I will work, sleep, and workout. And not much else.

I had my first two shifts of precepting my senior practicum student Thursday and Friday. Holy crap, it is a LOT of work. I talked SO much. Which, you know, I kind of do anyway, but even more than usual! orngtongue.gif There was a wine walk at the town center across the street last night, so I did that with a friend, and it was a lot of fun. $15 bought a glass that you then took around to all the different merchants for wine tasting. I can't believe that I've lived in this condo for 10 years, and they've been doing the wine walks at least twice a summer that whole time, and this was the first time I've gone! It was fabulous, and I will definitely be doing that again!

rr~First ride of the year with my Courage Classic team this morning. It was a beautiful and HARD ride, over 5000 feet of climbing in 18ish miles. For my second outdoor ride of the year, not too shabby. My back was killing me from all the climbing, but surprisingly, my legs felt pretty good. Or maybe I just couldn't hear them screaming over my back! 18+ miles up in about 2 1/2 hours, 18+ miles down in about 45 minutes. Followed up with lots of pizza. It was a good day.

On call tonight (and tomorrow night), but based on how slow it was Friday night, I would be surprised if I got called in. Then again, you just never know, and they haven't cancelled me yet, so we'll see, I guess! Hopefully not, so I can get at least one good workout in tomorrow!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#75 of 267 Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 AM

towson, so glad they caught it.

Nic, love the tri pics. Family looks fantastic, but you're just smokin' these days, mama! 2whistle.gif

Plady, your kitty pics made me smile. I hope she's the perfect addition. Indoor-outdoor?

Mel38, heartbreaking. What a lovely community his parents seem to have. I hope they feel supported through their grief.

Geo, my dh is proposing a couple days in Paris en route to Morocco this fall on our way back to UAE. I'd love to hear what one should do with just a couple days there. If it works out, I think we would actually ship most of our stuff ahead and carry as little as possible to France/Morocco, like a rolling carry-on per person. I have absolutely no idea how to make it work in Morocco (filthy surroundings), but for now, this is the idea.

So, Rosetta Stone. Both kids are really good about taking half an hour each and doing the stuff daily. Of course, it is review for them now, but the practice speaking back to the computer and just seeing the words in print over and over is good for them. So, we'll introduce Arabic before bed soon, and be doing French in the morning, Arabic evenings. Arabic is just so much harder, I want them to be able to spend their dreamtime on processing if need be. No complaints so far, but it has only been a few days. I just want them not to feel like the languages are incredibly foreign. I don't really expect to see them speaking much, but I want better recognition of meanings, and an ability to grab pronouns with ease, maybe have an idea about conversations going on around them, movies, news, etc. Lofty, that movie sounds like we should check it out. I'll bet one of our local libraries has it. Good idea for Ramadan, looking for foreign-language movies to watch during the day.

RR: I've committed (for real this time, I swear) to another W30. A few days of eating at my parents' house and I couldn't even tie my shoes yesterday when Reb and I took our kids out on the trail. Everything hurt. I am better already, 24 hours later, but not completely. Saturday I ran 4 incredibly slow grannie miles with walking breaks (but still a little faster than the 3 miles I had run a few days before that), and I will get out for a run this morning before getting on with my day. I am shooting for 3 runs weekly through the summer. I want to improve both endurance and speed but I need to be super-careful about overuse. Non-running days, I can walk, swim or use fitness equipment, and I have a yoga mat in the living room. Ramadan will mean working out at night.

In other news, I still have boatloads of unseen friends. I am going to try and hit at least 4 of them this week before my sister goes in Thurs for surgery, then hit a couple more over Fri-Sat, and once she is discharged I figure on taking care of her and kids as much as we can/she will allow us in the weeks that follow. Hanging out at her house yesterday, just sitting on couches reading together. Everything is more fun with my sisters. luxlove.gif

#76 of 267 Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 AM
bec

Towson - So scary!  I'm glad they caught it!

Jo - I am always impressed at how you manage Ramadan and working out. 

Gaye - That sounds like an impressive ride!  I'm always proud of myself when I get 200 ft of climbing in a ride!  But, you know, midwest. 

Nic - We call putting the wetsuit on the 4th sport of the triathlon because everyone is exhausted after getting it zipped and need recovery!

RR (Well, let's be honest here, it is more NRR): Speaking of riding, or anything else.  Saturday was the last time I did anything, and it was that horrid swim that I almost puked in the lake for.  Yesterday I was supposed to go out for a ride, but slept in a bit.  It was for the best, as I still wasn't feeling great, and I really didn't have time.  I had to get my youngest ready for a dance exhibition at 6 Flags Great America.  My middle is still in Colorado, so wasn't performing, and I took my oldest along to watch.  There was time before and after to do the park as well.  The kids had a wonderful time, but I was pooped by the end of the day!  I am going to go workout with my tri group this evening, so that will be something.  I was nervous about my running mileage, but just did a quick calculation with the calendar, and I am on track.  I'll be able to work up to a 10 mile long run beforehand.  I am already at the bike mileage (working up to a century ride for that), and my swimming is pretty much there (just need to get readjusted to the wetsuit). 

#77 of 267 Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 AM

towson - Yikes! That is scary! I am so glad they caught it. Healing vibes to your Dad.

Jooj - I think we are living parallel lives at the moment (well, minus that whole living in the UAE thing!) I just started anothe Whole30 yesterday for similar reasons. I am also aiming for 3 runs a week this summer. Let's do this thing! And I so agree that everything is more fun with a sister. Mine is arriving later this month.

Nic - congratulations on Team NB's awesome triathlon. Nice mile!

RR - Haven't done anything since Thursday. My shin, just to the outside of the bone in the middle of the leg, feels very tight and has a swollen lump. This can't be good, can it.

NRR - all kinds of soccer drama here. DD2 was not selected for the team, but the coach gave me a call and said she was the fastest girl to try out, but needs to work on her ball handling skills. She is happy to play Parks and Rec soccer this fall which will help with that. DD1 will find out today if she makes the travel team. DS will get a call sometime this week if he is selected, if not he will hear nothing greensad.gif. Luckily, swim is going well for all three.

#78 of 267 Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM

Plady - looks like a sweet kitty, (although kitty's are really not my thing) Hope the pukes are good and gone

JG - yikes, I hope you can figure out the shin

Nic - congrats on the tri! Im excited that you're doing one on your own

RR: nothing since Friday

NRR: had a really tough weekend with the kids. DS was on a great streak and now he's back in full force. I have been working my butt off to both find him support, but moreso to create a plan in our family for how to help him adjust his response ... to everything. Ive come up (with him) with a CBT chart, setting goals for how he interacts with people (i.e. his relationships) and for how he responds to situations that upset him. Then next to each goal we wrote his usual way of responding (with a quote for how he usually responds) and then in the next column a new way of responding, with a script/quote for the new way. Every time he is, frankly, a jerk (a lot) I reign in my frustration and calmly talk him through what we have been reviewing and take him through the steps of looking at how he's responding and why, and then changing that response. Meanwhile, he's screaming at me, calling me all kinds of names; I mean its a full blown half hour of him freaking out and me talking him through it, at least once a day.

Then, DD1 has this big climbing comp. this weekend and Im trying to help her get in some final training b/c her personal coach is gone as of this week. So I got lead-belay certified so I could belay her while she lead climbs, then I convince the younger two to hang out at the climbing gym for a few hours yesterday morning (this is a challenge with DS) and manage their safety and behavior while I am belaying DD1, during which DD1 gets super frustrated about a climb and I have to talk her through that (she thought I was criticizing her ... maybe I did a little), and then when she finally gets back on the climb, I dont do the best job lead-belaying and she is screaming at me from the wall b/c she is trying to clip a bolt and I am not giving her enough slack and she feels scared, and when she finally comes down she yells "I dont know how they ever lead certified YOU!"

After we get home, I am going to leave the younger 2 with dad (who just woke up post-shift) while I take DD1 for a play-date and DD2 starts yelling at me that her sibs always get playdates and I never make one happen for her!

Meanwhile, I am the only person who ever does anything for anyone in this house! (as are you all, Im sure. Preaching to the choir here) and I get sh** on constantly for my efforts.

Add what I think is a pre-menstrual hormone slump to that mix, and splat.gif stcik a fork in me

What happened to fun!? That's what I want to know. Life feels like a lot of work these days, and it used to feel really fun. What's up with that! ....

--> vent over

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#79 of 267 Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM

sparkle~hug2.gif You sound like one awesomely patient mama. Vent away--you deserve it!

plady~ You and that kitty are radiant together!

jaygee~ Sports drama for kiddos sucks. Sounds like your dd handled it like a champ, though. fingersx.gif for your ds!

Reading about everyone's RGs and RPs makes me realize I kinda miss running with other people. About a year ago I was all like "races aren't fun because the competition is too stressful;  I just want to run by myself and not worry about pace or time--let the road take me where it takes me and have fun with the thoughts in my little head." Maybe my little head isn't as interesting as I thought it would be? I get all weird about shyness and worrying about pace when I think of joining other runners though. Do any of you experience that? How do you deal with it?

#80 of 267 Old 06-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Language language language.

We just dropped Erin off at Norwegian immersion language camp at Concordia language camps. Spendy, but like lots of things - you get what you pay for. Lots of choices: Japanese, Arabic, Spanish, Finnish, Swedish, Italian. And if y'all send your kids we can have camp dingo at a nearby resort. And resort in this context means about the same as resort in the movie dirty dancing.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#81 of 267 Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM

That sounds amazing, kerc!

jaygee~Sorry about the soccer drama. greensad.gif

towson~I constantly worry about pace, but I force myself to go anyway. I figure that the worst that can happen (and it frequently does happen) is that I end up running by myself, which I would have been doing anyway. I might at least have company for a mile or two, and if I get really lucky, I might have company for the whole thing! I've had some great runs that wouldn't have happened if I let myself chicken out on going to meet a group.

sparkle~hug.gif

So, just a few days into being single and kid-free, and I begin to wonder...what DO single, childless people do with all their time? I mean, my house is clean, I slept till 10 (!), I had a leisurely hour catching up on email and internet while eating breakfast, headed out to the Y for a double workout, stopped for groceries and dinner, spent several hours wrestling with my internet connection, and I still have plenty of time for putzing around, reading my kindle, etc. I mean, I do still have a few loads of laundry to do, but really, that's about it. Ahhh.

I'm still quite annoyed about my internet, but at least I am connected again. Apparently, my less-than-4-month-old modem decided to go kaput. After spending nearly an hour trying every fix I knew, I spent another hour trying every fix the tech support on the phone knew, and THEN had to drive to the store to get a new modem. Going to the Comcast store might just be the next worst thing to going to the DMV. Seriously. Another hour there (because, of course this couldn't happen while normal people were at work...oh no, 5:30pm, baby), and then an hour at home getting the new modem/router hooked up and all wireless devices in the house reconnected. Yeah, that was how I wanted to spend my day. Good thing I had the time (see previous paragraph)! rolleyes.gif

rr~It's going to be in the 90's all stinking week here. Ugh. I generally try to avoid running in those kind of temps like the plague. And, of course, I'm not so much a morning person (hello, night shift), so getting up early to run while it's still cool is not my fav. So I dragged myself to the Y to run in the semi-cool on the hamster wheel. It wasn't awful, but I would be quite happy for it to cool off so I can run outdoors. I do have track Wednesday am at 6:30, so I'll get a good run in there, I guess. An hour of hill workout later, and I dragged myself off to the pool. I'm determined to take as much advantage of this kidlessness thing as possible. Double workouts every day! Or maybe just some days. I was going to swim 2000 yds and then totally lost my will to live about 300 in. I sucked it up and made myself go 1000, but that was all I could handle. Maybe I'll try to swim again tomorrow, we'll see...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#82 of 267 Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

'Expect complaining.'
clap.gif

Nic--nice job on finishing the race and saving the runner. I agree--once it's too hot, throw PRs out the window. I don't think I've ever come close to PRing unless the weather was great. Also, I think we might be related. I also was thinking about an Athleta tri, though probably won't do it because I don't have a wetsuit and it's $$, but it looks awesome. Maybe next year. And like you, I am not a sprinter. I struggle with 5Ks for the same reason. Congrats on the family tri!

1jooj--glad to have you back!

Mel38--I'm so very sorry to hear about the little one. That's so awful. I know what you mean about the guilt and it's not ridiculous at all. Some things are just too horrifying.

On another topic, can you add a couple of my races to the list? There's the Winter Park Half Marathon on June 29 and the Run for Independence on July 6. Thanks!

Geo--the girls club without scouting affiliation sounds great. R did Brownies this year and it will be her only year. Not being able to eat any of the GS cookies despite depending what, 6 weeks selling them was not a high point for her. We do all the useful stuff (hiking, canoeing, camping trips when we buy a bigger tent) as a family anyhow. Also, I am jealous of your summer reading program progress, mostly because you actually know where you stand. They refused to give out the "bingo cards" they're using this year before June 1 and we were already up in the mountains by then. We're heading to the library tomorrow to finally get ours and see what we can check off. (Why they wanted everyone to register before June 1 but couldn't give us cards is beyond me.)

lofty--your comment about nails reminded me I need to actually practice tonight. Thanks for the reminder! Good luck with all the rain.

kerc--Yes, late October, Denver. We'll be waiting. orngbiggrin.gif

tjsmama--nice ride! When I first saw the post on DM, I was trying to figure out what route would take anyone from Downieville to Loveland--until I realized you meant the ski area. Doh.

sparkle-- goodvibes.gif

towsonmama--I definitely worry about all that when joining other runners, which is probably why I only run with tjsmama. wink1.gif Sometimes, I'd like to run with people more, but it means having to find a time to meet up that's mutually agreeable. I'd meet up with tjsmama while she's childfree this week, but see below about the hot and not being morning people. Also, I'm really glad they caught what was happening to your Dad. That's what killed my grandmother, though without any warning symptoms. I hope he is recovering well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

rr~It's going to be in the 90's all stinking week here. Ugh. I generally try to avoid running in those kind of temps like the plague. And, of course, I'm not so much a morning person (hello, night shift), so getting up early to run while it's still cool is not my fav. So I dragged myself to the Y to run in the semi-cool on the hamster wheel. It wasn't awful, but I would be quite happy for it to cool off so I can run outdoors. I do have track Wednesday am at 6:30, so I'll get a good run in there, I guess. An hour of hill workout later, and I dragged myself off to the pool. I'm determined to take as much advantage of this kidlessness thing as possible. Double workouts every day! Or maybe just some days. I was going to swim 2000 yds and then totally lost my will to live about 300 in. I sucked it up and made myself go 1000, but that was all I could handle. Maybe I'll try to swim again tomorrow, we'll see...
yeahthat.gif But you're doing better than me because I thought about swimming...and didn't at all. Then I thought maybe I'd get up early tomorrow and run before DH leaves for work, but he's going in super-early and leaving the house at 7 am. So, no. Maybe Wednesday?

RR: none today, but lots of good stuff in the mountains: two hikes, two canoe outings (the first with J sitting between my legs and on my feet in the front of the canoe; the second improved by having her sit on a floatable cushion in front of my feet), one short swim (unheated pool in the mountains) and a bunch of runs. Also? Hiking 4 miles and running 4 miles uphill on the same day make for a miserable hilly 10-miler the next day. -->Also my excuse for not running today.

We'll do a run/walk thing to the library and back tomorrow and it will just be really hot. But R needs to get ready for our 5-miler in July and I'm going to take every chance we have to run/walk places.

NRR: I'd like to get a road bike but the budget is limited. I'm thinking there might be as much as $700-800 available and I could catch a sale, but I'm not sure whether I should wait and try to set aside enough money to get a nicer, lightweight bike or if the above amount will be sufficient to get a road bike that I could use for something like the MS-150 and triathlon kind of stuff. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than $700.

I'm hoping to tour bike stores sometime soon, but I'd also like to know whether I'll walk in thinking $800 is my limit and walk out thinking I really need a $1200 bike and won't be getting one any time soon, yk? All advice is appreciated.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#83 of 267 Old 06-11-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas.

Sparkle, hug2.gif Yeah. I feel your pain in all those ways. Not to be annoying, (well ok maybe I will duck.gif) but do you think there might be a diet connection for him? I.e. gluten/casein? I have a friend with a son going through similar issues and although it didn't seem to make a difference for my ds, it did make a huge difference for hers.

Just something to consider. Could it be worth doing a food diary to see if there's a correlation over time between what/when he eats and his meltdowns?

Warning-- spoiler! (Click to show)

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I don't know now about the tri. Pricey. And we are going through an unexpected shock in that area...you know, the reason we moved up here? All of a sudden that reason has gone away. greensad.gif I'm in total panic mode and beside myself. I am feeling like an abject failure and disappointment that all that education and a Ph.D. later, I make under $30K and can in no way support my kids. I am furious although it wasn't dh's fault at all (at least I can't see how). I am so tired of going through this. We have a little bit of a safety net this time but...well...sigh. Any changes I had been planning to make in my own life will now have to wait as what I anticipated would be there to rely on now will not be. (Cryptic enough?)

I need to somehow break out of this rut of 'quiet life of desperation.' I wish I knew how to do that.

RR: None today. Raining hard. Yesterday I had a really good 6 miler. Hopefully I'll get in a run later even if it has to be on the mill. It seems we bounce between high summer and rainy April here in New England this year. eyesroll.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#84 of 267 Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Nic - oh no! I'm praying for your family. And I also frequently wonder how my Bachelors + Masters can't even get me a job at all at this point, never mind one that pays $30K. Guess those 10 years off for raising kids didn't do my resume any favors greensad.gif.

RR - had planned to run with my group this morning, but woke up totally numb down my left leg/foot. So no run, and not much of anything else either. Swim meet tonight, fridge repairman coming (fingers crossed), and lots of laundry. I'm disappointed that my leg pain seems to be returning, but it coincides with the epidural injections I had wearing off. Time to call my pain management doc again.

NRR - We are 0 for 2 on soccer now. Both DDs were cut. We are still waiting to hear on DS's team. This is silly, but I feel like I really "posioned the gene pool" in terms of athleticism. DH was ranked #7 in the nation in soccer in college. I know he's disappointed that none of his offspring share his soccer ability greensad.gif. Meanwhile, swimming is going well and I am so glad we waited until this year to start DD2. She's loving everything about it, except the cold pool wink1.gif, and can't wait for her first meet tonight!

#85 of 267 Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM

oh goodness. I don't even want to itemize the cost/benefit of my phd. Because I heard someone at a party say they should just pay teachers and university professors less. that'll solve the budget issues. Well it might, but it might also make the teacher shortage thing even more real.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#86 of 267 Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Nic - I have just started thinking about the diet part. My mama's intuition has always been that he has some low-grade sensory integration issue (toe-walker, thumb-sucker turned nail-biter, embarks on physical activity with extreme gusto and too little forethought = injuries, etc.), with the argumentativeness (opposition), sensitivity (doesnt like changes in plans, feelings hurt easily) with a high intellect, and that these resemble a bit of a lot of the issues we all talk about, and that some of those issues do find diet changes helpful. On a lark, I started doing flower-essences with him two weeks ago. First I read through all the descriptions of the Bach ones, and picked 3 that resemble him the most (and curiously, they 'resemble' him to a T, even down to the taking huge mouthfuls when he eats), and I swear his behavior has been so much better ... except for when its not. In other words, I'm open to anything... Sometimes its the prospect of the battle with him that keeps me from trying something like diet. Ugh, the negotiation if I took gluten and/or dairy out. Sigh.

Im so sorry for what's happening! Why?? And moreover, why so often? Most of the people I know with the same work find one situation and stay there for ever lol.gif I am crossing my fingers that there is a resolution soon!! goodvibes.gif

Geo/Gaye/Real - If Geo comes in Oct, I am so finding a reason to come up (DD1 must surely have a climbing comp. she can go to up there that time of year :lo). As for wimping in the heat - its supposed to be in the 100's this week jaw.gifdisappointed.gif SO wrong. I mean, really, climatologocally wrong. My dear friend irl here asked me the other day, in the context of her looking for a new house, if I worry about my house having no value in ten years b/c this area will be uninhabitable due to drought. bigeyes.gif Half the state is on fire and its only June - all the trails are closed disappointed.gif. If only I liked CO, I'd consider pulling up our roots again. There's just no where I want to go (DH says he's still holding out for NZ being "the" place lol.gif. I told him I dont believe in "the" place anymore. Ah, aging...)

Jo/Lofty - how's the novel/writing. I'm working on a short story...slowly. I have the whole plot mapped out, now I just need to plug away redface.gif Keep at it!!

RR: joy.gif for AF day 1. Bike and run/walk intervals for 80+ minutes. Whew. Fine, but I think I might be low on iron or something. Ive been dragging in my work-outs and fantasizing about burying my face --> stop reading if you are a vegetarian <-- in an animal I just killed in the wild and slit open lol.gif ok, gross, but yeah, a few burgers sound delish this week.

NRR: I know why some people get tummy tucks - b/c they reach the age where working out and eating well get you to the level of the body you used to have during those times when you werent exercising or eating so great greensad.gif Bah. It stinks to be working out like the fierce woman I am, and still have such a paunch eyesroll.gif Le sigh

#87 of 267 Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Plady, love the kitty. Glad you had a great birthday celebration! orngbiggrin.gif Dh didn't fall for the scam, his uncle did and he was guilted (?!) into it. Anyhow, it's almost healed. I channeled my nurse, momma and we did a great job bandaging it - duct tape and all.

Kerc, I was *just* thinking the same thing. Wondering if I can ever get this camp or some camp to myself and have a just for fun Dingo run. Love the Concordia immersion program! thumb.gif

Nic, I missed what was typed but I can still give a hug.gif Love that you had a family relay!

Sparkle, greensad.gif I hope something clicks for you soon, something that signals you're on the right path and there will be light and there is an end to the tunnel. 100! Holy-moly Fried Batman!

JG, how's your dad?

Mel38, candle.gif I can't even imagine... Thanks for posting the link. What an inspiring boy!

RR: several kayak trips with the kiddos. Oldest is now old enough to be a good partner so it's been fun and a workout. My back is SO SORE! Running also, along back hilly roads with dog and lots of yoga while listening to audiobooks with boys. So all is well. Pix on blog if you're so inclined.

NRR: Life of Pi is great.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#88 of 267 Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM
bec

Hugs to all.  'Nuff said. 

So, today has been a classic summer day.  We did 3 "science experiments".  We did invisible ink with lemon (lime) juice.  This worked great, but to reveal the message, we are supposed to heat the paper on a light bulb.  This book was written before the days of the cool flourescent bulbs.  It wouldn't get hot enough, so I had the bright idea of ironing the paper.  Well, that looked like it was working, except that I melted the pad to the dining room table (for the record, I have ironed on it before with no ill effect.  D'Oh!). I call that a fail, and put the iron away.  So, the kids took the lime juice and cleaned their pennies with it.  That was a total success!  Then, we took a 2 liter of generic diet soda (bought on sale no less) and we did the Mentos candy experiment.  Nice gyser from that.  They spent all of 3 minutes inside and "bored" until I sent them outside to wash the dog.  Now, they are all wet and happy.  Not sure if the dog is clean, but at least everyone is outside!

I will run later.  Even in the heat and humidity, I will run.

#89 of 267 Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Hugs Nic. With your knowledge and aptitude, I trust this will sort itself.

Sparkle writing...LOL. But not really laughing. It isshifting back toward my front burner as I meet obligations and I do plan for it to be my indoor/quiet daytime activity for Ramadan. Also laughing at the meat. I have a 5-pound boneless leg of lambing slow cooking today.

I have my kids + 2 extra today. We did a sleepover and now are at a local fake lake. I am so tan. LOL.

RR: Ran/walked 5 slow miles this morning. JayGee, we got this...right? If I can just get everything back in check and continue to improve over the next 2 months, I may not be ashamed at my half result.
#90 of 267 Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Also laughing at the meat. I have a 5-pound boneless leg of lambing slow cooking today.

drool.gif

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page