Dingoes running into the summer sunshine -- June! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

kerc, you get first dibs on exercise for the rest of the month. Tell him the dingoes say so!!

lofty, I would love an Adirondack margarita right about now. I hope the ankle heals quickly.

RM, I never understood the concept of bloating until the past year or so. Women would say they were bloated and I was headscratch.gif. Recently (in my post-children, post-breastfeeding life), I get a lot of premenstrual bloating. Things that help are kombucha and other pro/pre biotic foods, really limiting dairy and wheat in the final week of my cycle, and some wicked green tea that my husband drinks that seems to help. (I'm not more helpful with the tea name, since it's entirely in Chinese. The most bitter green tea I've ever had.) I hope you find something that works for you...

Today I invigilated two exams, and am about 60% through grading them. I also have a stack of portfolios to grade and then I'm finished for the semester. I had an email at lunch offering me three classes for the fall, for a total of 82% time, all crammed into three full days. I accepted. Two hours after that I had an email from the University offering me a guaranteed scholarship *if I'm willing to take two classes instead of one* in fall and spring. I have until next week to decide. My options are:

A. Do it all (82% work, plus full-time school): Advantages are a good financial situation, disadvantage is that I'm likely to be sick, in the psych ward or dead by December.

B. Take the work contracts and stay at one course: Probably slightly better financially, takes longer to get the degree and in the long run probably more costly (more years of part-timeish and paying tuition)

C. Cut back to 50% at the college and do full-time: Busy, but probably possible. I've always been a time-efficient student, 50% keeps my benefits at the college and qualifies me for professional development money.

D. Cut back even more at the college (22%?) and maybe still pick up some hospital shifts, and do full-time: less reliable, probably my last choice.

I'm leaning toward C. I know it's a bit insane to work half time and go to school full time, but if I cut back on hospital work, etc. I think it should be possible. I could then go back to part-time status in the fall (and take a summer course to keep myself on track to finish faster).

Must run. I'm working a night shift tonight, and am about to walk away from the grading for a quick run in the forest before dinner and the hospital.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 PM

mel~I think that C sounds like the best of both worlds!

kerc~irked.gif on your behalf. Hope he showed up with flowers (or beer) in hand and profuse apologies and promises for much YOU-time the rest of the weekend.

I also type out my emoticons. Unless I can't remember it, but the ones I use the most often are memorized.

Ok, lots of news in these parts. It has been a crazy busy week, and not getting any better. Lots of workouts, an awesomely fun concert with friends at Red Rocks, signing up for match, working, race in the morning. dizzy.gif Ironman Boulder was officially announced this morning. I really, really want to sign up for it, but I'm just not sure it's a great idea. Of course, I could volunteer next year and race in 2015, but I kind of want to just DO it. AAAAAAAHHHHH. The full is not actually replacing the 70.3, they're moving the 70.3 to June, and the tri series that in the past has been a sprint, oly, and 70.3 will now be 70.3, oly, and full. You can register for the tri series the day before the individual full registration goes live, but you don't really save any money. And it's unbelievably expensive. $675 for just the full, $1035 for the series. I have two weeks to decide...registration opens for the series on 7/16 and for the full on 7/17. Can I make it work?

The news that you all have been dying for: I am officially live on match. I have no idea WTH I am doing, but I'm on. My friend who helped me set it up gave me homework to "wink" at 10 guys, and I have done so. I've gotten emails from 3 guys, only one of whom am I interested in replying to. There were two guys that I winked at who look really interesting, so I'm not sure the best strategy on all of this. Do I wait for them to respond? Do I go ahead and email them? And if so, what do I say? Argh, this is all kind of stressful. My profile has been viewed a ton of times, and I've been winked at about 10 times myself. There was the 52 year old guy with bad grammar. The 51 year old bald guy who apparently makes a lot of money (and makes sure you know it in his profile). The 47 year old pudgy bald guy. Did I mention that I set my age range from 32-44? I probably won't get around to replying to the guy who emailed me that is semi-interesting tonight, so at least I can ponder this whole thing a little more in the meantime...

I started stressing out about tomorrow's race before I went to bed this morning. I mean, hello, I was up all last night and then got 5 interrupted hours of sleep today. And then I realized when I woke up that I didn't have any fuel for the bike , so I had to go to the grocery store. And then I realized that I was going to wear a pair of shoes that doesn't have speed laces, so I had to alter that plan, and now I'm slightly nervous about running a 10k in a pair of shoes I haven't worn in a year. I'm sure it will be fine and fun, but right now, freaking out a little. orngtongue.gif

rr~Wed morning track, followed by a harder-than-expected ride on trashed quads. I was going to do a ride-run brick on Thursday morning, but decided that was a bad idea, so I just did a 20-ish mile flat ride with a friend. Hopefully my legs have gotten enough rest for tomorrow's race!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 AM

Gaye - have a great race!!!!  And I, for one, am eagerly awaiting your Match.com updates! 

MelW - definitely C.  Scholarship $ would be the clincher.

kerc - hope your DH got back soon after you posted.  That's frustrating.  I know.  I've been there irked.gif.

NRR - apparently my cold has moving on to the nagging cough phase, so I spent the night on the sofa, hacking away.  Of course, the cats meowed me awake at an ungodly hour, so here I am, coffee in hand, enjoying some quiet time before the family wakes up for the day. 

Happy Summer, everyone!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Lofty - I just. couldnt. make. it. through Cutting for Stone. Maybe I should pick it up again. I'm in desperate need of a book!!

MelW - Congrats on all of it! When it rains it pours fo' sho'. I would go with C too...

Gaye - GO GO GO run.gif

RR: yesterday was weights, which Ive been doing really hard lately, so my subsequent scheduled day off (today) is greatly appreciated when it comes (aah, no rush in the morning, sore muscles recouping ...). 90 minutes, pushing through every set to near quesy (sp?) levels

NRR: Ive got it in mind lately that the place for us to live is X (insert list of appealing/fitting characteristics). Turns out, after googling real estate there, we cant afford it greensad.gifirked.gif Oh winning lotto ticket, where art thou?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM

gaye~ I don't know boo about tri's, but it sounds like you really want to do this one. Go for it, sister! I'm lol.gif and dizzy.gifat the Match.com etiquette. Yes to winking, no to adhering to the age range? How was your race??

melw~Another vote for C. Sounds like a win-win to me.

books~I liked Cutting for Stone. I have The Interestings and Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls set aside for summer reading. I'm currently in the middle of Salt, Sugar, Fat right now. Look, I've never claimed to be a great mother when it comes to food. In fact, MDC might revoke my membership if they saw a video montage of meals at my house, but I try. Well, I thought I tried. I guess I used to try before I went back to work full-time. But when dh offers to take over breakfast responsibilities in their entirety, I'm gonna say yes. No-brainer, right?!? Yeah, until I end up with this: *

That's ds behind a fortress of sugary cereal.bag.gif Now I'm totally dying as I read this book. blush.gif duh.gif I'm trying to put a positive spin on it by telling myself the universe put this book in my hands after I've had time to adjust to the new (okay, it's been five years) routine of two working parents. 

rr~4 miles this morning. I know it's not much, but the extra mile (from my previous 3-mile rut) is getting easier. Now I just need to stretch it to 6 or 7 one day this week. 

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 AM

tjsmama--hope the tri went well yesterday. On Ironman: good luck deciding! Every time I think about something big, like an ultra, I'm always weighing the trade-offs between all the childcare and time needed for training vs getting older by waiting. Not, mind you, that I feel like doing an ultra anytime soon. Re match: I have no idea but good luck! Maybe you should google whether there are tips?

JayGee-hope the cough is in the waning stages and you'll feel better this week.

towsonmama--something has to give when there are two working parents. Go easy on yourself.

MelW--option C sounds good. Anything but option A, actually.

RR: 4 miles on a trail run. Felt exhausted the whole time, even coming down. Of course my mind launched into scenarios about how I'll be walking during next Saturday's half-mary, etc. Not sure what was up, other than I'd originally hoped to do 12. That's been postponed 'til tomorrow (today) and I'll pretend I can be zen about it and just let the race be as the race is. I haven't really done any speedwork since the marathon, so it won't be my best.

On the other hand, there's a half-mary scheduled in my area near Halloween and another one at the beginning of December, and I'm psyched. Usually it's hard to find one past early October unless I travel somewhere.

NRR: exhausting week! The kids are making some progress with swim lessons (R especially; J is agreeing to cooperate with the instructors), but R had a hissy fit when she learned that she won't be done with swim lessons if she finishes level 1 and J is suddenly resisting violin, both practicing and even at her lesson. And my in-laws will be here in a week. At any rate, my birthday kind of stunk with DH having to be at work early and me having to play for our new summer Thursday night service and me wanting to run away from our kids and figure out what I'm doing with my life (just read Nic's post from earlier in the week), but then I got in the car to go to church and they were playing the Indigo Girls' song "Closer to Fine." So there it is: there's more than one right answer and I just need to choose one.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 AM

Loved cutting for stone. But I listened to it on tape. too much going on to read it.

Book recommendation for 10+ yr olds: shadow on the mountain by margi preus. Read it for my book club and enjoyed it ww2 historical fiction about a ~14 yr old boy who is Norwegian and part of the underground mvmt against the nazi occupation.

I'm off in about two hours for southern Minnesota for a week of family camp. Dh and dd1 join us midweek. Looked at the forecast: 40 degrees warmer than it is here now. I'm not really a warm weather person , but holy smokes am I looking forward to sweating!!! After camp we are headed east to my sisters and then to my inlaws'.

Now, must finish packing. Process complicated by us bringing a table + 4 chairs back to my sister. So van holds that + both my bikes.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

So there it is: there's more than one right answer and I just need to choose one.

Thanks. I needed that, too.

MelW: I am with you on the topic of bloating! All of the sudden, it became an issue for me, too. Bread and sugar are two things that I was convinced helped alleviate it. On the choices, I like the ones that keep you in school full time, so A, C or D, and of those... A is just nuts. D sounds less desirable work-wise, so I also vote for C!

Gaye: Great work on your tri!! And on match, you are very brave. I hope that you meet someone as awesome as yourself. blowkiss.gif

Cutting for Stone... hm, I will look into that.

Hello Jo, bec, Plady, JG, Sparkle, Lofty, Geo, kerc! Thanks for the book recommendation for a 10+ y.o. I might try to get that for our trip on the nook. Sounds like one I could read and enjoy, too.

So... couple of things going on here to conspire against posting to my Dingo family, but I have been reading along from my phone and thinking of you all.

NRR: One of my clients of many years just recently began offering me a certain type of review jobs at a ridiculously low rate. I made several good efforts through the early part of the year to take some of these from time to time. Finally, after one catastrophic file full of errors, I just told them that I couldn't accept that type of work any more. Now six weeks later, the agency owner contacted me and pretty much gave me an ultimatum: take these jobs at the low rate, or you won't get any "regular" work from us any more. I was all set to make a compromise with them, but have since given it some thought and decided to stick to my guns. I am in the process of typing up my response to him this morning. It kind of hurts, because we have worked together for so many years, but this request of theirs is symptomatic of their attitude toward freelancers as a whole. Communication is kind of a one-way street with them, and it is just getting harder for me to play the grateful servant role. As a freelancer, I always have to pick and choose between clients and jobs, and if given the opportunity, I try to decline a lower paying project to work on a better paying project. Unless, of course, it is my favorite agency out in Seattle, for whom I still work at 30% less than my usual rates because I just love them.

Speaking of awesome vacation destinations, today is my last day in SC before I leave for Germany with the younger DD and DS. We will spend a week at my in-laws in Bavaria, then 4 days in Switzerland and a week in Italy before flying home. The trip to Switzerland is for a conference, but I am taking the family along. And the hotel in Italy is where my in-laws used to go every summer for many years, so we gave them a week's stay there as a gift a few years back. Now we are inviting ourselves along! There should be a lot of hiking that week, weather permitting (and my in-laws who are 77 years old!). The hotel does breakfast and dinner, so I am looking forward to some awesome food, too!

Just trying not to stress out too much. I did get really frustrated yesterday, too many lists in my head, not enough time to get things done, kids wandering around complaining randomly about this and that, and I just got really mad and shouted at DD "when was the last time you helped ME?" and it made her cry. disappointed.gif I feel so bad about that. So today, my focus is on getting stuff done, but in a spirit happy anticipation and not frenzied dread.

RR: I ran 8 miles yesterday!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 AM
bec

Gaye - I saw your Race Report on FB.  Awesomely well done! 

Kerc - I would have been highly irritated at the missed bike ride too.  I hope he made it up to you!

Ironman - Hmmm, I think this last marathon kind of took all the wind out of my sails for a full Ironman.  I just cannot fathom doing that after having biked 110 miles.  On the other hand, my biking has gotten so much stronger this summer, maybe it might be something I could do.  I would want to do a few more full marathons and feel more confident with that, before I could make that leap.  Not to mention, it would take a lot of convincing to have my husband be ok with the kind of expense that it would take!!!  With all that said, those are definitely my demons.  You should follow your heart! 

RR: Speaking of biking.  Yesterday was supposed to be a swim/bike, to which I thought I would tack on the 8 mile run I am supposed to get in.  I've been tired, though, so it was with no small amount of joy that I heard the thunder and rainstorm come in right as I was supposed to be getting up.  I slept for another 2 hours!  Clearly, I needed the rest.  I could have run later in the day (it cleared up), but didn't innocent.gif .  This morning, I did get out the door early for a 37 mile bike ride.  Again, I probably should have run after, but the shower was calling my name.  Plus, there were some pretty serious hills on this ride, so my legs are tired.  I plan to get out the door early tomorrow and run at least 5 miles before taking the girl scouts up to a pioneer village for the day (lots of walking).  That should put me back on track.  Although, I haven't been in the water for a week, so should probably fix that soon!  Maybe Tuesday. 

NRR: It wasn't totally inactive on Saturday.  It was Ham Radio Field Day.  This is when the Hams take to the outside to prove that communications can be maintained without outside electricity (so, through batteries, generators, etc.).  We totally got our nerd on, and had a fun time, and even had time to go look for a geocache after. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Bec, you're ham operators? That IS nerdy! lol.gif My step-dad is religious about being a ham operator. He's one of those old guys at marathons and similar events in charge of race communications. I laugh only because checking in is the very first thing he does every single day and the last thing he does every single night. I think it's the main reason he has stopped visiting us. He keeps trying to get my boys interested and I think it's a good idea; I just want him to be in charge of it, not me. But, now that I know YOU are into it, that brings it up to a whole new level of cool.

Cutting for Stone: this is my 3rd or 4th and last attempt. It really takes a lot out of me to concentrate and stay with the story. So, I'm giving it it's due attention. I'm learning a lot. I spent this morning reading all about Haile Selassie in my attempt to get into the book more. I'm about a third of the way in and I think I'm sticking to it this time. Though if I dropped it, I would be disappointed but okay.

Towson, those books sound interesting. We dropped boxes of cereal a few years ago. Now my kids only get it at their grandparent's houses. I try to keep homemade granola around, but it's truly hard to break that mentality of easy fuel in the morning. I cook a hot breakfast almost every single day and it gets old. Good luck! And then when I'm truly at my wit's end, I long for a box of pop-tarts or donuts.

Gaye, Way to go! thumbsup.gif

Kerc, just you and your dd are camping? You are my hero. I can never wrap my head around solo parenting/camping. I'm a wimp. Have a great time!

Mel38, love the sound of your upcoming trip. What a memorable time that will be. I forget what your line of work is? But I'd take a conference in Switzerland any day! orngbiggrin.gif

Real, love those words by Indigo Girls. They put everything in the right perspective.

RR: Foot still hurts too much. Will lift weights again, I guess. It's getting boring to just lift weights. May try to get in a swim in the new wetsuit top, too.

NRR: ETA: I was really upset but I may have over-reacted so I deleted it. If you didn't read it, don't worry; it was boring. Although I'm still a little bit mad.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 06-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The secret to getting through Cutting For Stone is to be stuck in the middle seat of an airplane when you get to the middle doldrums of the book. The middle did tend to drag. It's worth pushing through.

ETA: maybe CfS is a metaphore for a Dingo long run. A long haul getting through the middle to get to the best part of the end.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

The secret to getting through Cutting For Stone is to be stuck in the middle seat of an airplane when you get to the middle doldrums of the book. The middle did tend to drag. It's worth pushing through.

oh man, must get this book on my nook right away...

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 06-23-2013, 03:24 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Bec, you're ham operators? That IS nerdy! lol.gif My step-dad is religious about being a ham operator. He's one of those old guys at marathons and similar events in charge of race communications. I laugh only because checking in is the very first thing he does every single day and the last thing he does every single night. I think it's the main reason he has stopped visiting us. He keeps trying to get my boys interested and I think it's a good idea; I just want him to be in charge of it, not me. But, now that I know YOU are into it, that brings it up to a whole new level of cool.

Yes, we are a family of hams.  My husband is a general and middle DD and I are Techs.  The bookend kids are wanting to study for their tech as well.  No doubt about it, we are totally a family of giant nerds.  lol.gif 

I am wishing you a visit of zen-like calm.  I would probably have a giant fit if I saw some kids being favored over others, too.  It would probably get pretty ugly, actually.

I meant to add earlier that I have been keeping up with the 100 squats.  I haven't done every single day, but enough that I can tell that it is getting easier to do.  That's something!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Seriously Mel38, I say skip it. I just picked it up today after all the talk here, and I still cant believe how much of a slog it is, and Im on page 90 (and its been a slog to get there! lol.gifbag.gif)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM

While we're on reading recommendations, how about some easy summer reads for the 7 year old with the 6ish grade reading level. She's in love with Geronimo Stilton and Archie comics at the moment, but they're only lasting about an hour each. Slightly reluctant to try anything "hard", though if I read her the first chapter or two she snatches it away from me (Anne of Green Gables, Treasure Island, Harry Potter series). 

Gaye, hooray for the tri! I just heard a piece on the radio recently about online dating, and they plugged the OK Cupid blog: http://blog.okcupid.com The infographics are pretty amusing, and I think there is some decent profile/advice thrown in, too.

Mel, good luck with the email and way to go on standing up for your needs as a freelancer. Have an amazing trip, too!!

towson, I love the cereal box photos!! My kids eat an entire box of "koala crisps" (aka chocolate rice krispies) every time they do an overnight with grandma. They eat huge bowls for bedtime snack and again for breakfast and finish off the box between them. It works well for us since they usually only spend the night every one or two months and gets the chocolate binge out of their systems. 

RR- A run Friday, and vigorous yard work yesterday and today. My lawn was once again totally out of control. I now have mowing calluses. 

NRR- In my bundle of stress of decision-making on Friday I managed to be the last person on campus other than the security guard in the evening. I had two loads of stuff to take out to my car, but the door locked behind me leaving a stack of student assignments, my cell phone and my sunglasses still in my office. I had no luck finding the guard and eventually gave up to be phone-less for the weekend.  I'm 95% decided on option C. I also need to start applying for every other scholarship and bursary and miscellaneous funding that I can find.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Watching the Princess Bride with my kids. Oh, my. luxlove.gif I do so love this movie. My kids are not nearly as enthralled. They are also annoyed that I keep saying the lines. biggrinbounce.gif

Crazy busy week. Have to write some student narrative reports, finish grading, faculty meetings tomorrow. Then done for the summer (except all that planning, curriculum work...just not having to leave the house!). Ds starts sports day camp tomorrow, packing the girls up to go away next week for overnight camp. Can't find my sharpie or my name stamper...ugh. So many socks to label, so little time...

RR: 12.3 this morning. Feeling strong lately, who knows how long that will last?! Contemplating a late September marathon, a very small one, in Keene, NH...close by, cheap, and tiny. We'll see.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 PM

ha, sparkle, you underestimate my need for immediate gratification. I already bought it for the nook! Ha, I am such a sucker for books, and I am game to try something new. Now off to look up shadow on the mountain.

Nick - are you out there - I had a whole post in my head about your career thoughts and I don't think I ever actually put it down in words. Basically - forgive me if I already said this - but you you only have this one life. If you have a dream and you have the means to make it happen, please don't decide not to do it because you have reached a certain age. I don't have a doctorate, but I understand your need to accomplish and to be seen as an intellectual, educated person. Some careers offer a way to demonstrate that (I'm thinking of Geo and kerc, but there are others) and some careers don't have that so much. Anyway, I am sure things are mightily complicated by your DH's career and changes there, but this is just an outsider's perspective. Anyway, you are asuperhero.gif in my book.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Books for 7 year olds reading at a 6th grade level:

Guardians of Ga'Hoole (15 book series, so enough to hold her for a few day)
Other Kathyrn Lasky books
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIHM
Peter and the Starcatchers (series of 3)
Mysterious Benedict Society (series of 3)
All the American Girl books (not a high reading level, but good quality)
Laura Ingalls Wilder books
Beverly Cleary books
Roald Dahl books

Look at Newbery Award books. Some aren't appropriate for 7 year olds, but if Harry Potter was ok, most should be ok. And non fiction. DS would recommend math books, but that doesn't float many boats....
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM

towson~I love the cereal box picture. We are totally a cold cereal family, although I do try to keep it to honey nut cheerios. DS has been remarkably persuasive with the cinnamon toast crunch at Costco lately, though. bag.gif

real~birthday.gif Sorry it wasn't a better one. If I hadn't been working, I totally would have come up and taken you out for some Tokyo Joe's. love.gif

mel38~Have an awesome trip! I'll keep you posted on NYC details...will see XH tomorrow and can ask him about the hotel stuff.

race report~3:30 is an exceptionally painful time to have to get up for a race. I was at the race site by 5, and picking up my packet and getting a pretty good transition spot, though. Most of you probably remember the guy that my friend has been trying to set me up with for years, well he ended up racking next to me, and then my friend got there and racked on the other side, so transition was actually a lot of fun, getting to hang out with friends and joking around and stuff. I was in the next to last wave, which just stinks when you're as slow as me. I got a short warm-up in and got my momentary chest-tightening-panic thing out of the way, and then we were off. I really felt remarkably good in the swim. Probably the best I've felt in the swim in a few years. The water temp was perfect and it was nice and calm. I was even about half way to the second buoy before I started getting passed by the last wave. orngtongue.gif Sighting was awful after the first turn, couldn't see the buoy at all, so I just tried to follow people the best I could. I got really irritated right before the turn back into shore, though, when a kayak trying to be helpful totally cut my line off and made me swim around him while pointing out where the buoy was. Gee thanks, I can see it and now I have to swim out of my way to get to it. rolleyes.gif Back into shore, and this race has the world's longest run to transition. At least a quarter-mile, in bare feet and a wetsuit, fun! Swim time: 42:06, which was over 2 minutes faster than last year. I felt like I might have been faster, but I guess I'll take faster than last year. T1 was uneventful, and it was out onto the bike.

This race is probably one of both the most beautiful and most challenging tri courses around. Absolutely gorgeous, especially in the early morning, riding through horse pastures in the foothills and climbing up to a reservoir before descending back down and hitting some big rollers back into town. It's a longer than normal bike course, as well, 30 miles. I was feeling good and strong on the bike and was passing quite a few people. I probably passed 10-15 women in my age group. And then, as I was coming down from the reservoir, I almost wiped out a steep curve, and then I came even closer to wiping out on the right turn back into town. I looked down and my front tire was super low. OH NO. My first flat in a race. irked.gif It clearly wasn't totally flat, just low, so I figured that if I stopped and just pumped it up that I might be able to gimp the 8 miles back to town. Unfortunately for that plan, I couldn't get my CO2 inflator to work. irked.gifirked.gif Lucky for me, a nice guy stopped and let me use his pump. Of course, this whole fiasco lost me about 10 minutes and most of the people I had passed passed me back. Sigh. I made it back to town, slightly slower than I would have liked, but at least I made it! Bike time: 1:54:41. Bah. 7 minutes slower than 2 years ago (last year's course was shorter), and I feel like I'm a stronger cyclist now. Oh well.

T2 was kind of a mess. Well, it was ok until I was exiting transition and went to hit the lap button on my Garmin to transition to the run and my Garmin wasn't there. Oh crap. Luckily I wasn't out of transition yet, so I retraced my steps, and sure enough, there was my Garmin laying on the ground right by my transition spot (which was all the way on the other side of transition from the run exit). Scooped it up, made sure it got popped on all the way, and back out of transition and onto the run. A quick pit stop at the restroom right outside of transition, and it was out for a little 10k jaunt. Miraculously, the weather was holding out and it was still a very comfortable temperature, not too hot. The course is an out and back, which is awesome for seeing your friends out on the course. Lots of shade, running through the neighborhoods and alongside the lake. Of course, because I was in the back, by the time I hit the turnaround, there wasn't really anyone left to see going the other direction. My legs were tired, but felt surprisingly good, considering. I even had the thought that I could have kept going...I didn't want to, but I could have. I finished the run with a fairly respectable 1:03:42 time. I would have loved to be under 10 minute pace, but 10:16's not too shabby, I'll take it!

This really is one of the best races out there. It's smaller, very well run, beautiful bike, great run course, and one of the best post-race meals around. And I won a prize in the drawing after. smile.gif Total time: 3:44:06.

match report~Some emails, some winks. Nothing really too exciting to report yet. I emailed a guy who is way too hot for me tonight, lol. I got an email from a guy in LA whose message was :"I liked your profile. Would you like to date with me?" biglaugh.gif I replied to a couple of emails and said no thanks to several. If nothing else, this should be entertaining, right?

And last but not least for tonight...DS comes home tomorrow! joy.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 AM

tjsmama--nice job!

It's time for yet another R question: what does one do with an 8-going-on-15-year-old who is apparently bored by everything and just wants to watch videos, play computer games, and read comic books most of the day?

She likes to play outside, but she actively fights learning to ride her bike on two wheels (and pedals so slow on training wheels when going downhill that it's more like a stroll than a walk). She threw a 30-minute hissy fit about the fact that she wouldn't be completely done with swimming lessons (for the rest of her life) at the end of this week. She has a pile of partly-read books, all of which she claims bore her either because she's read them before and they're a little below her skill level and getting boring, or because she starts to read and then instead of finishing them, she gets out a comic book or watches a video. Ditto for her latchhook project that she loved. I've suggested several times that she could work on it while watching a video, but that only happens if I prompt her each and every time.

She's a good reader (4th grade +, maybe more, haven't tested beyond that) so I can't imagine that the issue is that the books are too hard. However, things that she finds boring include Magic Tree House (new or old), Little House on the Prairie, the Disney fairy books she's currently reading, the slightly more mature Disney princess spin-offs, the series of dog books that she was really into for a while, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiller (that one pains me...I don't understand how she could just set it down after a few chapters). She has no interest in Harry Potter. She claims no interest in mysteries or anything that might be too scary (mind you, this is the kid who was scared on Snow White's Scary Adventure at Disneyland, while my 3yo was like "that was wild!"). She claims to like fantasy and has half-heartedly been making her way through the Frank Blum Oz series, but most of the time she wants DH to read to her (which he's happy to do).

I tried to talk about it with DH, but he's in a mood. He sees the issue but wouldn't talk about it much with me. We're both baffled by her insistence on watching videos even after we've told her to turn them off and find something else to do (today he told the girls to turn off the video downstairs and go play, only to come upstairs and find she'd taken his computer and turned it back to a video. When questioned, she claimed she was really going to the multiplication.com site and accidentally found herself on YouTube watching House of Mouse. We may also be dealing with a serious lying problem...that obviously was one but I'm wondering if there's one she's actually getting away with). We both were complete bookworms at her age and don't understand why she's doing so little reading, in comparison to us or her peers, and why she thinks everything is boring. I really don't understand what is going on inside her. She's been wound up and really sensory and constantly banging parts of her body into things because she's not paying attention to where she is in space (one of the side effects when she's wound up) but for no reason that we can figure. I'm sure I've said before that she's a really anxious kid, but I can't figure out a trigger. We did insist that she has to read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and talk about it afterward ('cause it's fantasy and within her reach and all), and she immediately protested the idea of having a discussion with us about the book. She's going to do it anyhow, but I don't get the constant resistance from her anytime we ask her to do anything (see above: hissy fits about swimming lessons, hissy fits last week when we took the training wheels off her bike...).

I have been taking the girls on all sorts of outings to keep us out of the house and away from the videos. It's mildly successful in that we're getting to do things, but we're all introverts and exhausted by the end of the outings, and while I'll pick up a book and J will play quietly, R goes right back to the games and videos. banghead.gif What to do?

Sorry for the length, but I am grateful for any advice you might have.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 AM

Real - I have so been there! All last summer in fact, when, coincidentally, DD1 was 8. I'm headed to swim practice now, but will type more later when I get home.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Real what would I do?

Cold turkey no movies. Or screen time on a timer. Plus a trip to craft store and open ended crafts.

Also add in a weekly trip to the library.

Leah's awake. Must get to eat soon, or I might turn into a crabby monster.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 AM

real~Do we have the same daughter??? My 8 yo dd is going through much of the same stuff. She's addicted to Netflix and has her own iPad (thanks, grandparents eyesroll.gif) so it can be difficult to monitor her screen time without it taking over my days. Her older sis (age 10) is a total bookworm, and I was hoping some of that might rub off on the younger one. So far this summer--all one full week of it--I've tried the following: a trip to the library, limited screen time, crafts,and an exercise chart. The library trip seemed to go well at first. She picked out some horrible "Sassy" line of books and we alternated reading chapters aloud. She wouldn't/won't read on her own though. She usually wakes up around 9 or 9:30 so I let her watch something until 10, then no screens until 5. That still provides more screen time than I'd like, but she's more apt to play with neighborhood kids in the evenings so it hasn't been too egregious yet. As for crafts, she likes to draw and cut paper. Drawing is less of a mess, so I've been encouraging that. She's been fairly happy with this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Girls-Doodle-Book-Pictures/dp/0762435054 so far. For the exercise chart, we have a 2-mile loop we use to walk the dog. She enjoys that time together, so I asked her how many walks she thought we could to this summer. She guessed 20, so we made a chart and have been crossing them off as we go along. It's not much, but it gets her out the door and moving. Frequently she'll stay outside with her younger brother when we get back. I know this isn't very specific advice for you, but hopefully you'll get some spark of inspiration from it?

rr~3 mile walk/run with dh yesterday and 2-mile family walk. Rest day today because contractors will be in and out of the house. I'm already feeling squirrely. 

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Okay, back from swim practice.

Real - we have "no screen" days during the week, which means no games, no shows, no movies, etc. During the school year it goes from Monday-Thursday. In the summer, I'm a little more lenient and allow each child to pick one show to watch after their chores are totally complete. All three kids have chore lists which include things like "read 1/2 hour" and "play outside for 1/2 hour". I know my DD picks the TV because it's easy entertainment. It's work to get out the markers, or pull out the legos, or call a friend. So I try and make it less work by having the legos out in the livingroom (much to DH's chagrin), a bin of markers and paper available in the pantry, and weekly plans to have a friend over at least once. One summer i had a summer rule that "Daytime is Playtime" which basically meant that there was no TV, video, etc. until after dark. That worked well too... in fact, I may need to revive that rule!

We also struggle with the 1/2 read books. I still haven't figured that one out. She seems to enjoy graphic novels more than actual books right now (Big Nate, Frannie K Stein, Dork Diaries, and Smile were all recent favorites). One thing I wanted to do this summer but haven't yet is to have all the kids go through their bookshelves and pick out the books they have started, but not finished. We also go to the library weekly.

NRR - pain management appointment today so hopefully I'll be back to some walking at least soon. This aging thing stinks. My sister and her son are coming on Thursday for 5 days, so I am spending the early part of the week trying to get ready for their visit. DH is in panic mode since sequestration begins in two weeks. That will mean $1,000 less a month in pay. Ouch! And they are talking about extending the sequestration cuts through the entire 2014 fiscal year. Time for me to start looking for some part time work I fear. Maybe they're hiring at Barnes and Noble? Of course, I'd spend my whole paycheck on books, but....

Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Real - I too would get rid of video access. My DC's have just discovered video games this year, and Dh and I limit them to 'gap' times when the kids have done everything else, but there's 20 minutes until the next thing (they're dressed, fed, sunscreened, packed, and now are waiting to go...). Maybe she can earn video time by doing other things - helping cook dinner, yardwork. I find kids actually like participating in a real way, especially when its communal.

DS (8 1/2) is complaining a lot this summer of boredom, despite having a half-day summer camp every day. Maybe it is an age thing. I tell him its his responsibility to figure out how to NOT be bored, as it will be for the rest of his life. It is his CHOICE to be bored. I offer suggestions, mostly in the form of projects. What I find with bright kids is that contrived "activities" are boring. He responds to "real" problem solving, like building something (model cars, leggos, gardening, cooking..). Im trying to figure out something he could design and build for real, like a solar shower for the backyard, or a solar oven for camp-cooking. He could do the research and we could shop for supplies, etc. I also get him books-on-tape. He can listen to these for hours... which I sometimes let him do, and then when the next book comes around (in a series) Ill tell him that it is all checked-out (at the library) so he spends some time actually reading the book, and so on. He is a big reader though, so letting him listen is actually a nice break for him..

There is no way he would do anything if he were allowed free reign with videos. No way. As it s, he tries to sneak my phone or ipad somewhere he can play video games (he just figured out the pass-code; time to change it). I think the lying is normal/developmental, but also the beginning of teaching them how their lies affect our trust and their subsequent privileges (videos, or whatever). We are having a lot of conversations about trust and the freedom it will give him....

Its very hard.

Lastly, The Phantom Tollbooth!

p.s. what about making jewelry? Klutz has some great kits at different skill levels, and the higher levels are quite challenging/engaging and produce some beautiful! jewelry. DD1 makes a lot of jewelry, and the beaded bracelets she has made with Klutz are amazing. We also regularly go to the bead/stone shop where they have supplies/tools for all kinds of beading, jewelry making. Dd1 also makes earrings (like real, awesome ones. She made me a pair for my birthday this year that I swear she could sell in the Sundance catalogue for $30). Or, there are also some great painting kits (brand?...); color-by-numbers but the product is worthy of framing!...

Old 06-24-2013, 12:42 PM

I seem to remember reading Phantom Tollbooth to ds a while back. For a while, I believed I had never read it, but now I do remember it. Ah, age.

Real, I am with the others on setting drastic screen limits. My kids still have a hard time coming to terms with my limits for them, but I don't care if it means they read. They have too many gadgets between them and sometimes it is just hard to monitor, so I err on the cautious side. Which has apparently had the effect of actually keeping their habits nearly reasonable, and also protecting some of their innocence. We came home this summer to discover friends who are not so closely monitored doing such things as going out to meet girls bigeyes.gif (at 10yo).

MelW, what Mel38 said. C sure sounds like a good thing to me.

Gaye, can't wait to hear about the new people you'll meet. Under 50 might be nice. winky.gif

Everyone else blowkiss.gif

So totally NRR: I just got back from Up North. Looks like 3 days/nights is about our limit with my parents, reinforcing my decision to rent the apartment this summer. Wow. Anyway, a lot of sitting around and eating and playing board games and cards, pulling off wood ticks, tetherball, horseshoes, bocce, a walk, a hike, and a run (twice) through Class IV rapids on the Menominee River. Really fun. Our guide was good and we shared the raft with a fun family on a road trip. Also got to take a little side trip by myself to meet one of my oldest friends for dinner. So great to see her. Before Ramadan, I still want to take a drive up to Door County for horseback with the kids. Turns out, I can be kind of fun. Who knew?

And RR: I had better get out on the road tomorrow, period. Two weeks to Ramadan and I have a lot to get worked out. Bolt.gif

Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM

jo~I'm pretty sure you're always fun!

real~I second Sparkle's Klutz/craft kit suggestion. My dd who is similar to yours made a tooth fairy pillow. We used one of those pre-fab kits that she got as a gift a while back, but I just checked and there are really cute guides online.

rr~I guess I was feeling more squirrely than I thought because I *had* to get a run in today. So, what do I do? 6 miles in 93* "feels like 100* heat. I took water and had a few walk breaks, but I got the chills about a quarter mile from home. It freaked me out a little. Fortunately it was so close to the end. Lesson learned: I really need to get my butt up early if I want to run longer in the summer.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Will come back later to read and catch up. Just want to say 2 things really quick:

1) Wetsuit top came in and I swam yesterday. It was awesome, not very far, but so much fun with my kids.

2) Cutting for Stone has just become awesome. It took me a good 1/3 of the book and now I can't stop reading it unless I must. I'm obsessed. I downloaded lots of info on Haile Selassie and read it to understand more. Since dh traveled throughout the area in the 80s, we have had so many interesting discussions. Is it really going to get hard to read in the middle? I hope not.

Oh one more thing. Sisters-in-law are here. Cousins are awesome. It's all going to be zen and calm.

Okay, volunteering at the library. Must go but look forward to catching up. kissy.gif

Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Back...

Real, Reduce choices. I agree with Kerc on going cold turkey on movies. I'm mean like that when it gets out of hand. Frankly, I think they are overwhelmed with too many choices at that age anyway. Or maybe just mine are. I find that even when I've got strict limits on screens, they somehow creep back in anyway. I really like the no weekday movies. I think it sounds hardcore, but I like it. Also, I think that probably very many kids are complaining right now at the beginning of summer about just this same thing and, in a way, testing parents to see what they can get away with. In fact, beginning of summer reminds me of beginning of school when the teacher has to set really strict limits. Good luck! redface.gif

Books: So my 9yo loves to read, too, and has had some trouble getting into books also. It may be that he, too, is testing me. Anyhow, our library has the entire series of Narnia on audiobook and he has been going through them. At first, I required it. 1/2 an hour in the morning and 1/2 an hour at night. He likes to be read to, but you know I need him to hear someone else's voice sometimes. So now we are on book 4, The Silver Chair, and he loves it so freaking much he says he may like it more than Harry Potter. bigeyes.gif So maybe give a good audiobook series a whirl...

Nic, I love Keene, NH. What a pretty place to run a race - although hilly!

Jo, What a fun trip!

JG, yikes on the sequestration! greensad.gif

Gaye, Great report!!! Yucky transitions. Glad you found your Garmin! Have fun winking. wink1.gif

Bec, you're a tech?! lol.gif I love it! Okay, maybe now I'll take up my stepdad's offer to get my kids into it. Maybe even me. redface.gif

Sparkle, did you like the Bernadette book? My bil just arrived and was telling me a bit about the author b/c she sat next to him on the plane ride from Seattle to Austin.

RR: Nothing today. But the swim yesterday was awesome. So my ds2 is just crazy about all bodies of water and goes out for a "deep lake swim" almost every night. Since my wetsuit top was in (Omg, I love it so much! Body Glove, ebay, used $29 and reversible! Oh and cute!) we swam. It was such a blast. I love that kid. I can't believe how driven he is when it comes to swimming. He is built for it (if there's a build for it?) and his cousins have been on swim teams so I'm starting to think I should look for a swim team somewhere. If I do find one, however, it will be at least a one-hour drive each way. Sigh. But for now, we'll swim our hearts out. And hopefully he will get some good lessons from his cousins who are also instructors and (bonus) lifeguards!

NRR: I feel bad about complaining yesterday. I may edit. blush.gif I was really, really upset. Very momma bear-ish upset. I wonder if my hormones had something to do with being so very upset b/c now I feel so chill. Thanks for the peaceful vibes! smile.gif

Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 PM

lofty~You had the maple syrup margarita, right? Have you seen this: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/dining/flavored-whiskeys-expand-the-market.html?hp&_r=0  Looks like you're on to something!

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management
User Tag List