Dingoes running into the summer sunshine -- June! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Shiny new June thread.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#2 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Gaye, I think you're a hero for doing your own cakes. I took a cake decorating class once, but let's just say that handiwork type crafts are not my forte.

Ok, too wiped out for personals. Race report, in brief:

It was very hot. Really, really, REALLY hot. I like heat, but the sudden onset of the heat two days ago -- read going from the 50s to the 90s overnight -- left me struggling. And the pollen plus the humidity -- whoa.

I had to use my inhaler before even starting out, and I knew my stomach wasn't doing well because for some reason this week it's been off. Celiac can be really unpredictable even when I stick to the diet. Sigh.

Anyway, first couple of miles were ok, maybe a little too fast at 9:20 or so. I knew going in though it was a 'finish only' kind of day. There were a lot more hills than advertised (apparently 'flat' does not have the same definition in CT as it does in FL!).

What can I say? The whole race was a struggle, made worse by a repeating loop that included a big hill. There was an angel of a man squirting his garden hose at runners, there was lots of water at the stops, and kids with super soakers around. But when it is in the high 80s, and humid, there just isn't a lot that can be done to ease it.

I had stomach distress starting at mile 4 or so and stopped by mile 7 to use the Portapotty. That took a few minutes but it seems destined because when I got out, right in front of us a runner just collapsed and started foaming at the mouth. I was the only one nearby with a phone so I called 911 and we waited until the police and EMS showed up. From there it was a lot of run/walking. I couldn't even take a GU, because the thought of it made me totally nauseated. Dh came with the kids and I saw them at mile 5 and then again at mile 8, which was awesome. Thankfully he then left with them, so afterwards I was able to hang out with my group a little, catch a ride home, and shower and eat in peace. 

Miles 9-12 were a death march basically. My friend Donna and I literally pulled each other along. Runners dropping like flies, we saw 5 ambulances. We ran/walked and then mostly ran the last mile. Final time I think was around 2:30 -- the slowest I've done in years, since I had just started running again when we moved to FL and was 30 lbs. heavier. Sigh. Whatever. Finishing today was a big victory.

So my sub-2 still eludes me. Think I'm planning that attempt for the autumn. lol.gif  Maybe a couple tri's this summer, if I can get the courage to get on a bike and ride on a street. 

I want some cookies (gluten free) so I'm off to dig through my secret emergency cookie stash. 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#3 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Hugs Nic. Someone is probably very grateful you were where you were, though.

I am home, fat, and jetlagging.
#4 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Hooray for finishing, Nic!!! You're so strong. The sub-2 will be so sweet when you finally get it!

RR- Ran a big hill ascent this morning. 6ish km, with 825m elevation gain (though most of the gain is over 2-3 km straight up that I walked much more than ran). There is a local group doing this route twice a week but they don't run until 9:30 on Sunday which felt like far too long to wait.

My oldest is part of a national study of physical activity in kids and is wearing a pedometer for a week. She wanted to wait until after her school musical to start, so the youngest wore it for a couple of days. Yesterday was a bit of a sluggish day for the oldest, since she was really tired and not feeling great. She did less than 4000 steps for the day, while the youngest did around 14000 the days she wore it! I'm hoping we see a lot more today- I forced them both outside before lunch, and we're biking to the park and for birthday ice cream later this afternoon.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#5 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Sunshine!!!

More later. Solo parenting for the week.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 12:52 PM

jog.gif 2013 Dingo Race List
:

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #2, June 16, 2013

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Tri, June 22, 2013

realrellim - Winter Park Half Marathon, June 29, 2013

realrellim - Run for Independence, July 6, 2013

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon, July 14, 2013

bec - Door County Triathlon - Half Ironman, July 21, 2013

JayGee - GeoComfort TriGreen Triathlon, August 11, 2013

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #5, August 11, 2013

tjsmama - Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Olympic distance Saturday, Sprint distance Sunday) on August 17-18, 2013

mel38 - Francis Marion Dirt Dash Half Marathon, September 7, 2013

1jooj - Fox Cities Half, Sept 22, 2013

tjsmama & mel38 - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013

jog.gif  2014  jog.gif

Special dates:

candle.gif September 24, 2012  Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts. stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#7 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 12:53 PM

run.gif2013 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

mommajb - Tinkerbell Half, January 20, 2013

mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 26, 2013 - 1:38:46

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K, January 27, 2013

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon, February 10, 2013 - 1:59:47

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k, March 10, 2013 - 41:58

JayGee - AOH 5k - March 10, 2013 - 27:48 (DS's time - 26:53, for his first 5K ever!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon, March 24, 2013

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k, April 5, 2013 - 1:00:28

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint Triathlon, April 20, 2013 - 1:32:21

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

tjsmamaCherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler, April 28, 2013 1:41:58

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k, May 4, 2013 - 1:00:?

Dmitrizmom -  Pieathlon, May 11, 2013

JayGee & DD1 - St. Louis Girls on the Run 5k, May 11, 2013 - 41:00

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 4:00:44

tjsmama - Colfax 1/2 Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 2:15:54

Dmitrizmom -  Gladiator Assault Challenge, May 19, 2013

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #1, May 19, 2013 - 1:26:37

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 53:11

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 59:07

Mel38 - Lowcountry Splash 2.4 mile swim, June 1, 2013 - 57:36

Nickarolaberry - Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, June 2, 2013 - 2:30-ish

Dmitrizmom - Grinnell Games Half Marathon, June 8, 2013

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#8 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Nic hug.gif That race sounds kind of awful, but ditto what Jo said - you were certainly there for a reason. I hope you found some cookies.

Mel, I love that dress so much! Happy birthday!!

Jo - welcome home!

I have a RR for you from my swim yesterday. I wrote this up for my triathlon site (BeginnerTriathlete.com, in case anybody is looking for some good triathlete forums). Anyway, this is an event called Lowcountry Splash. They offer a 2.4 mile swim and for the first time this year, a 5 mile swim. It starts in Mount Pleasant (2.4 mile) or on Daniel Island (5 mile) and goes underneath the Cooper River Bridge, ending at the marina right beside the aircraft carrier at Patriots Point. So there is lots to see, and there are tons of people coming from all different states and even from other countries to do it! So I'm hoping I can pique someone's interest and maybe entice a Dingo friend to do this with me next year winky.gif Here goes:

Coffee and a half of a PBJ for breakfast. I brought along a banana, too, because we were leaving at 5:30, 2 hours before start time. I figured that I might need a little extra something before the swim. My husband drove me to Patriots Point and let me out so that I could catch the shuttle from there. I got marked and boarded the shuttle. There, I already met up with a few people from our swim class, and we went over some of our plans for the swim.

All in all, I felt significantly more nerves before this swim than before pretty much any event that I can remember. Maybe not as much as for my marathon last fall, but I was pretty anxious about it.

At the start site at Hobcaw, crowds started to gather. We were on one of the first shuttles, and we met up with more and more people, listened to the music, walked around and watched the sun rise. There were tables with many jars of vaseline, and people were applying it liberally. Even though I hate the stuff, and couldn't stand the thought of getting it in my hair or touching my stuff with it on my hands, I followed their example and put it on my legs, arms and where the swim suit straps go over my shoulders. After that, I went ahead and turned in my bag to the bag drop.

The race director gave a briefing about some important instructions - buoys on the right every 1/4 mile, boats on the left between those buoys. You can hang onto the boats or buoys. Keep as far toward the buoys as possible to maximize the effect of the current. Don't touch any piers or stationary objects in the water (barnacles) and keep in the middle of the pilings under the bridge or risk getting pulled off course by eddies in the current there. Angle in toward the aircraft carrier as soon as you pass through the bridge and shoot for the boats just past it. If you are too far out, the current will make it difficult to get in to the finish chute.

Before the start, we jumped in off the dock, two by two as we were counted off. We all swam over to the boats and buoys that made up the starting line and just tread water waiting for everyone to get in. Finally, the start sounded and we took off!

Huge mass start, so there was quite a bit of touching, swimming over and bumping people. I tried to watch for the open spots, kept moving and didn't let it bother me. Finally got free of the crowd and just found a bit of rhythm.

My goggles started to get foggy and siting was difficult, so I cleared them once or twice in the first 200 yards or so, but after that - no problems.

Bilateral breathing was very helpful, just to give me a balanced feeling in both arms. I did get some bright sunlight breathing to the left, so I tended to site only when I was breathing right. No big deal, though, because the water was calm.

At first, I just sited from one buoy to the next until we passed around the tip of land and started heading toward the bridge. Even from far away, I started trying to site and situate myself well for being in the middle of the span we were swimming through. My focus was on gliding, long strokes all the way through from catch to my leg.

I tried to get a look at the Mt. Pleasant pier as we got close, but the sun was too bright on that side. Finally reached the bridge and went under it - what a weird sensation! Once we got under it, I looked back and up to see if there were any pedestrians on the bridge. There were a few and I tried waving, but I didn't think they could tell. Plus, I didn't want any of the kayakers to get the impression that I was waving for help, so I just kept swimming.

Now this last 3/4 of a mile is a long one. The water over here was definitely choppier. I kept a steady effort and also tried to add a bit more length to my stroke. I figured, no worries about getting too tired any more, it's almost over. I could finally make out the pink buoy at the finish chute and started to work harder. By the time I got there, I was really looking forward to getting out! But that wasn't where you got out - there was still a pier to swim along and then around the corner before you could get out using the ladders. We stood around a while because they had to individually check us all out by number before we could leave. We rinsed off using hoses on the docks and then walked up to meet our families.

Drank some water, got toweled off and put on my t-shirt/shorts to walk over to the post-event area. Ate a bunch and even had 2 beers :-) We stuck around for the awards and listened to the band for a while before heading home.

Oh, I saw all of my coaches from the swim class and several people from the class. What nice people - I hope to see them at the triathlons and will definitely take this class next year again!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#9 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Mel38, Love your swim report! Reading along makes me miss swimming so much! I can almost imagine being back in the water, siting, and racing. Fun! Glad you had a great race.

Nickarollaberry, what a race! I'm so glad you were where you were AND had your phone with you! It may not have been your goal, but how much better to have seriously helped out someone who certainly didn't make a goal either, but lived! And I loved reading that your dh took your kids to see you at various points. Not complaining, but I'm pretty sure my dh only took the kids bc I insisted and then it was only at the finish line not watching me at all. rolleyes.gif So I think that's sweet.

MelW, Belated birthday.gif Love that dress! How funny to read that you're breaking out of blue/gree/black/white rut bc I feel the same way. When I buy something, it is either gray or yellow. Seems like a weird combo but I just can't help myself. Funny story!

Towson, love.gif Athleta. Fortunately, my family knows that's a good gift card to buy me. Fabulous swimsuits. Great running bras. Great return policy. My current go-to outfit is a gray tunic meant to be a cover-up for a swimsuit that looks really great over yoga shorts or dressed up with a nice necklace and skinny jeans. Bought for almost nothing post-Christmas. And yes to an Athleta dress for graduation.

Tjsmama, Sounds like a great - and exhausting - party!

JG, Ahhh, the keys. Love them. Had the best spring breaks there. So glad you're having such a great time. Catamaran...DD jumping out sans life jacket... bigeyes.gif ...Cheeseburger in paradise... orngbiggrin.gif Did you make it Key West?

Sparkle, LOVED Silver LInings Playbook. Rented it with a gf thinking it was a chick flick. Didn't know what to make of it at first but loved the quirkiness. It stayed with me so much, I rented it again with dh. Never heard of the other two. lol.gif have to check them out.

Jooj, You're home!! joy.gif How's it going?

Kerc, solo parenting? Didn't you solo parent on a camping trip? Have you holed up in that hotel yet to finish your book? 'Cause you deserve it, mama!

RR: Ran family-style sprints yesterday. Quite fun. And vigorous. Followed by weights. Was shaking quite a bit afterwards as I had been on my feet for the previous 10 hours cleaning and packing and organizing. Today, will do some yoga before heading out tomorrow for the big drive.

NRR: Has anyone here ever heard of Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers? DS1 is mostly into country but recently found some burned discs my sil gave us and put it on and has become *obsessed* with it. Apropos of nothing, just funny to see this kid slowly morphing into the 13yo he will be in a mere two months. {Gulp, Sob}

Wetsuit: looking at used ones on ebay. New, they are in the hundreds, so I'm thinking used (under $50) will be the price for me.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#10 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Quad post. Oh, now Double Post. headscratch.gif

#11 of 267 Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Hmmm, 4 posts... do I start deleting and risk the system simultaneously deleting and losing everything? I'll give it a minute and if the system doesn't auto-correct like last time, I'll start deleting. Sorry!

eta: Okay, gave it a couple minutes, and 2 automatically deleted. Will give it another minute and see if it continues to auto-correct.

#12 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 AM

jog.gif

nic~glad you were in the right place at the right time with a phone! Sorry your race didn't go as planned. Sounds like you and I need to get together with drjen to pace us to a sub2...

mel38~Nice swim!

Night two of work. Once again, I was hoping for release, but no go. We're at 8 babies and counting for the night. Sigh. DS's end of year picnic is in the morning, so there will be no sleep for me. Bah.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#13 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 AM

Nic, I'm sorry for my lame response. I understand feeling disappointed in your time, BUT. You may have saved a runner's life. And also, being able to run 13.1 miles is something to celebrate, period. You rock.

Mel38, way to swim. I was intimidated just reading your report.

Lofty, I hope you find your wetsuit.

I like the Athletica dresses too, but sadly I don't have the body for most of them.

So we flew out of AD an hour late, arrived in Chicago and sat on the runway for almost two hours, and that added up to about 16.5 hours in a coach seat. Then I got some stuff confiscated at Customs (no biggie but still), and then had some trouble locating the driver because my phone didn't work in US (last time it did for about 3 days on arrival). Borrowed a phone and found each other, then got soaked in a downpour loading bags into the van. Got to the parents' around 10, and picked stones the next day, and the day after that. But I got to see all my sibs and their kids already, which is awesome. Moved into the apartment on Saturday, and it is all I assumed it would be...which is not great but just fine, and our neighbors (a couple young guys) seem good. Adjusting to the smell of the place, though. Bleh.

I took a heavy dose of anti-inflammatory this morning and my back pain is beginning to subside. It was all but inevitable, I think. I am going to schedule a massage as soon as I can get that together. Our stuff is all moved into the apartment, but we still have a lot of odds and ends to take care of. Dd is getting her hardware out of her mouth as I type, and (poor thing) they have time to put the braces on right away, it seems, so she is not even getting a single gum-chewing day between. The doc is awesome, though, and really seems to get our time constraints. So, dd will walk out with braces this morning. Both dd and I are having some allergy stuff, but it's minor. I am so grateful we have our own little crash pad.

I will meet Reb for a walk this afternoon. She is still recovering from an illness and my back is wonky, so we will stroll while the kids rollerblade on the trail near us. Looking forward to it already! And a haircut before then! Yay!

And I am stoked to be back where the produce is SO MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE and so much better. Breakfast was an avocado, 2 eggs and a tomato. I really do think I can get a grip on my food again now. Need to drop a couple few dozen pounds before upping mileage. crap.gif

Today's to-do list includes stocking the apartment; tomorrow, shoes.

#14 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Welcome home Jo!!  luxlove.gif

Nic, I am glad you made it through the day safely. It sounds like it was a risky day to be moving so hard in that weather and I am glad you are okay! And that your kids got to see you and you had some time to wind down too. hug.gif

I was doing so well with sticking to a diet that makes me feel good and I slipped off the rails a few days ago and have been having trouble getting back on. It is the sugar thing that gets me. Time to be hard core for the week and get myself back on track.

#15 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Welcome back Jo!

Nic, there's a reason why race organizers are supposed to close a course when it gets too hot.  I wonder how far off the heat index was from that point this weekend.  Hopefully everyone made it home healthy and sound.

Girl scout camping was this weekend -- again, I realize that scouts is full of families from my community that feel like outsiders.  All the parents sat around wondering where everyone else had been for 6 years.  Next year, they'll continue as a girls club without a scouting affiliation to do service projects and camping trips.  All the pros of girl scouts, none of the paperwork.  ;)

#16 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Morning mamas!

Happy Birthday Mel!  I hope it was a fabulous day, I love the dress.  Birthday ice cream sounds good.

Today is my birthday and I had some super nice plans for it.  But you know the saying, man plans God laughs.  Yeah well.  Alison started puking about 1 am on Saturday night and was super sick all day yesterday.  Last night she slept (THANK GOD) but she's still wonky today and so I'm just home.  And hoping that nobody else gets sick!  Just thinking about it makes me feel queasy.

But I can do a raincheck on most everything I'd hoped to do and I'm having a potluck beach picnic on Saturday which is hopefully plenty of time for Alison to recover.

Mel -That swim sounds exciting and I got a little anxious just imagining siting and going under a bridge.  I'd love to do it because it would be a little scary.

Jo - Hope you can find something to counteract the smell, or accclimate quickly so you don't notice it anymore.  So happy you're home safe though!

Nic - Sorry the race sucked but clearly a PR wasn't the real plan for you (see saying above). 

Little monkey calls, off to watch tv and fold laundry.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#17 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM

plady~birthday.gif Hope your little girl is feeling better! (And the rest of you stay healthy.

jo~ Welcome back! I love that you and Reb are walking later. Hopefully you both are feeling better soon. Sheesh, a lot of ailments in the Dingo commune right now. goodvibes.gif for everyone!

nic~ 13.1 is always something to be proud of! Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted, but it's still an impressive accomplishment nonetheless. I only ran 3.5 that morning and it was tough. I was wondering if anyone else has GI issues when the weather gets hot. I always seem to struggle this time of year.

lofty~Cute top! No luck with the dresses for me. I think raging PMS and the resulting low body image were to blame. Maybe I'll try again in a week or so. 

RR~Still trying to get used to running in the heat. 3.5 mile run yesterday, 3 miles today plus a bonus 2-mile walk with my dad. I love these few days at the end of the school year when I'm not working but my kids are still in school. My dad and I frequently go out to lunch which is nice because we really don't get much time alone together. It was extra special that he hung around for a walk today.

NRR~I start the next class in my Master's program tonight. It meets every Monday and Wednesday from 6:30 to 9:30. Bleh. I'm only taking one class per semester so it's basically taking me like nineteen years to get my degree. That's what it feels like anyway. When I start feeling like I'll never finish, I find it helps to think of the program like a marathon. I'm at the 13.1 marker right now. Hopefully the last six miles won't feel as long as the first twenty!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#18 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 06:18 PM

I keep thinking I'm going to reply via computer. Not happening, clearly.

Solo parenting bc once a year dh grades advanced placement exams. It's a paid one-week gig. The pay is decent and dh enjoys interacting w other history people from universities and high schools. BUT it's the last freaking week of school for kiddos.

Nic you are awesome. I know you didn't get the time you were hoping for. But you had bigger things to do.

Plady happy birthday. You should get a do-over!!

I'm going to serially reply so I don't lose all my work.

#19 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 PM

Shanti I loved the yarn you posted today. And my mil "liked" it too. Maybe she'll shop for me.

Towsonmama nice to see you here.

Sparkle I did push-ups today and thought of you.

Lofty: yes. Wetsuit. Find a tri suit. sounds excellent. You can occasionally get a brand new one for 140 bucks. But our local shop rents them and sells rental returns for about that - maybe call around in Austin?

Geo: lol on Girl Scouts.

#20 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Jo welcome back!!!!!!

Me? I've been biking. Two different just get out the door bike rides. Such is life with kids, huh? Oh and lawn mowing. And clearing out a years worth of crap from the basement. You know how you have a closet or a corner where you put stuff you can't deal with right now? Once or twice a year I deal with it. But this year's bonus is that the storage area of the basement is ripped apart for sewer repair (next Monday they should be finishing).

#21 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 PM

And finally, I think:
Lofty: I totally love the shirt.

And did I ever tell you guys I have the title to my book on adventures with kids? Courtesy of Erin. Forgive me if I've posted it.

Wait for it

'Expect complaining.'

#22 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Happy birthday, Plady!!! I hope there is a quick recovery and a great picnic next weekend.

kerc, it's the perfect title! Good luck with the rest of the solo parenting and the basement clean out.

Jo, welcome home and I hope the establishment of your new routine goes smoothly.

Towson, what is your masters program? Good luck with your next course!

RR- Like kerc, a lot of my exercise is yardwork. A reel mower and a ton of weeds help.

#23 of 267 Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 PM

Hello Cinncinati. Getting ready to drive.

Plady, birthday.gif I love you!

Eta: Shanti how can I find your yarn?

Kerc, Good luck this week. Expect Complaing certainly applies to a working title of a homeschool book as well. lol.gif

Jo, take it easy! smile.gif tell Reb hi.

Geo, waving from the car at approx. 0300 wave.gif

Towson, I confess I have trouble with dresses so I've never bought one. But they are so attractive. Btw, good for you for sticking to your masters program. I started and stopped and have every intention of finishing. One day. I love that you got in a walk with your dad.

RR: biglaugh.gif truckstop yoga. Downward dog with my dog. Um, I ran with him on some grass, too. Resisting road food should count for something.

#24 of 267 Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 AM

Plady, I hope your birthday was even a fraction as wonderful as you are.

Was so nice to walk with Reb. She is about 5000% better than this time last year, in spite of challenges still being faced.

And I meant to thank you all for the welcome home. I have some ideas for the smell (cat pee pretty sure) but will also lodge a complaint and see if maybe they would come back and steam again.

30 minutes on the recumbent bike this morning. It is a small but significant start. I hope to walk with another friend later and finish my day with yoga. A lot can go south in just two weeks.

Oh! But I went to the sporting goods store and scored a pair of Brooks Adrenalines in my size (even wide!) for $40 off.

Internet gets hooked up Thursday. Until then, I am on my mobile.
#25 of 267 Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Happy Birthday Plady and MelW !!!!!!!! birthday.gif

Jo - Welcome Home!! blowkiss.gif I hope the smell is resolved and the shoes are your start to a summer of regaining fitness and self-care

Lofty - truck-stop yoga biglaugh.gif

Nic - seriously, wow on the race, and not even b/c you helped that man.

Kerc - I hope solo-parenting turns into a fun girl-week, instead of complaint-management

RR: bike/run yesterday for 75 minutes. I went to the gym hungry, and I could feel it. No gas. Then I had a dentists appt. right after where they took my blood pressure and it was ..... 80/40! Ha. Weight circuit today. I'm toast

NRR: ugh. I emailed the administrative guru in my dept. at school about whether I could get copies of my letters of rec. Im thinking of applying for a job and dont want to ask letter writers from 10+ years and 1500 miles distance to write again, especially b/c I really got the feeling when I applied for the MA like they werent very happy about it. But these are the only people who can speak to my teaching ability. Anyway, I thought if I could get copies, and they fit the job, then I could email those folks and *just* ask to use the letters again w/ their contact info. Less of an imposition. Well, the administrator cc'd two of my professors (who also wrote letters, but whom I dreaded asking again, ESPECIALLY b/c I turned down the T.A.-ship, and now would be pursuing another job) ...

(Yes, I turned it down, in the depths of my hormonal mania - and I say that seriously - knowing that if things did not change by August, there was no way I could teach. And I figured that best-case scenario would be for me to improve but not have the TA-ship. Turns out it still feels awfully awful, but alas....)

So I get an email from one of them and it was nice/neutral enough, but I am MORTIFIED that I may seem at all like a f*****g flaky loser, which I probably dont, I probably just FEEL LIKE ONE. Why cant I just like myself and get on with life ... sulkoff.gif

On an up-note, I took a lead-belay class this past weekend so that I'll be able to lead belay DD1 (or whomever), and it was SO fun! Im really excited to get back to some climbing myself, especially outdoor trips

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#26 of 267 Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 AM

Woo-Hoo! joy.gif

I just got an email from the climbing gym saying that they have opened a new location (many members have thought they needed more space and more height!! Ours is pretty hoopty compared to the gyms I go to for competitions), and not only that, it's NEXT DOOR to my main-workout gym, which is a 1/2 mile from my house!! How fun!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#27 of 267 Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 PM

sparkle, hooray for lead belaying and for a new gym!! I should take a photo of our climbing "gym" because it will make anything else in the universe seem fancy. I just checked the village website, and the only photo is a close-up of a couple of holds. I guess they know that they shouldn't advertise what they're offering. On the plus side, it costs about half of any real climbing gym.

As for the flakiness, I suspect they see you as a brilliant student who prioritized what she could handle at the time. Deep breaths and letting it go. And drinking loads of water- that's some exhaustingly low BP!

jo, congrats on the shoe find and on getting back into exercise.

lofty, I love the image truck stop yoga! I used to travel with a soccer ball to play rest stop games, though usually any grassy area was a minefield of dog poop. We once stopped to play and there was a couple walking their goat on a leash alongside our soccer game. Safe travels.

RR- About to go for a quick run before school pick up.

NRR- I'm feeling chronically behind right now- I can't quite get ahead with the classes I'm teaching, plus the yard and house. I usually decide that I can either have yard OR house relatively organized but can't quite let go of the desire to have both. On a positive note, I finally finished our taxes just over a month late. It could be that the 30 minutes a day that I've spent on them for the past three weeks are contributing to my sense of pressure. I want to turn around and start the data entry for 2013 now, because it really, really sucks to have to do it all at the end (and late, since we were kind of waiting on my husband's arthritis in his hands to see if he might be able to handle the typing on his own).

#28 of 267 Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Melw - I vote yard. You can always get the house where you want it once you put the yard "to bed" in the fall....

#29 of 267 Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Welcome back stateside, jo!

mel~I'd go with house, but that's just me.

sparkle~hooray for the new gym! My Y is currently fundraising for a major remodel, and while I'm excited about the outcome (fancy new pool, bigger cycling room, etc), I DREAD the thought of actual construction. I kind of wish they would just start over and build new somewhere else (and hey, why not a little closer while we're at it? orngtongue.gif).

I am no longer the mother of a first grader. Sniff. I liked first grade. But, alas, school is out, so I guess I have a second grader now. Sniff sniff. DS heads to Ohio (and then the Dominican) on Thursday. I had great plans to take him to the pool tomorrow, but the forecast high is 60 and it's supposed to rain, so maybe not so much. rolleyes.gif

I just found out that I will be precepting a senior practicum student at work for the next month (although sharing with another RN since I don't do labor yet). I am simultaneously excited and terrified. I mean, seriously...this girl is going to learn a lot of important stuff from ME, of all people! Are they really sure they trust the next generation of nursing to me??

rr~HA. I dropped DS off at school this morning and drove to the Y to get a swim in. After parking, I realized that I failed to pick up my swim bag from the kitchen floor, so I turned around and went home. Where, instead of picking up the swim bag and returning to the Y, I laid down on the couch for a 3 hour nap. In my defense, I only had about 4 hours of interrupted (by school picnic) sleep yesterday after working all night. Sigh. DS is at a friend's for an impromptu sleepover tonight, so I'm wondering if I can get my act together to get up and run at 7 before he gets dropped back off at 8 in the morning...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#30 of 267 Old 06-05-2013, 04:21 AM

I chose run over house or yard! A quick 5k before preschool pick up.

Yard is on the agenda for the next couple of days, if only because when the grass goes to seed it gets nearly impossible to mow with the reel mower. And also because I want veggies and still need to plant some.

I'm working a night shift tonight. 3 1/2 hours to go...

Tjsmama, have fun preceptoring! It's awesome to have a preceptor who still remembers what it's like to be new. I hope you get your early morning run in!

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page