Yoga Home Practice for Fall 2013! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Words of wisdom by SweetSilver :

Ahem (channeling inner Yoga Teacher).....

With the autumn equinox, we approach another day of balance, this time turning ourselves towards a time of more introspection and subtle growth to prepare for another burst of exuberance at the reawakening of the new year.  Rains have returned for many of us, easing the drought of body and spirit, and giving us renewed energy and life for one last stretch before the Great Sleep of winter.  Now is a great time to reflect on our inner motivation and dedication and renew our intention to dedicate one part of each day to our yoga practice, whether that is within another form of exercise, or a yoga routine.

Southern Hemisphere folks, take my speech and reverse it!!! :p

Namaste! 

Here's a few questions I'm borrowing from SweetSilver's last yoga thread!

So would you like to join the thread?

The only requirement is to dedicate yourself to a regular yoga practice, however small you can manage it.  You can come to this thread to post your practices, if that helps challenge yourself to keep going, or you can join us in supporting each other in our quest to incorporate yoga more fully into our life.  

So, go ahead and introduce yourself, with some of these questions, if you like:

1.  Who are you?

2. What are your goals for this month?

3.  What is the importance of a home practice to you?

4.  In what ways are you able to support your home practice?  Classes?  Videos?  Magazines?  Internet?

5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy:  

6.  What do you struggle with the most? 

namaste.gif

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#2 of 35 Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

1.  Who are you?

Marie, 24, mama to 9 month old DS Jaxson, married to a music man, work 4 days a week as a manager in a specialty shop, born and raised in French in Quebec but now living in English in New Orleans.

My goals for this summer are to exercise daily at the very very least 30 minutes a day (around 60 if possible), to lose weight (another 10lbs by the end of July), to live a more active and healthy life, and stay happy :) But more concretely I'd like to chose yoga over internet/television at night!

4.  In what ways are you able to support your home practice?  Classes?  Videos?  Magazines?  Internet?

For now I use a program I downloaded called Beginners Yoga, yoga.org.nz

5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy:  

Loving the breathing part at the beginning, the Mountain, the Arm Rotation, the Standing Forward Bend, the Bridge.

6.  What do you struggle with the most? 

I just started doing yoga again after 6-7 years, and I remember loving the Tree position, now seems impossible to do... I lost my balance, I need to get it back. The Boat is another hard one for my non-existing abs that I also need to work on!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#3 of 35 Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Thanks for firing up a new thread, Jaxy.  I'll get around to answering questions when my head is less blurred.

My routine has managed to hang on past the initial energetic devotion to it.  I am now managing to scrape by with10-15 minutes each day, though I missed a few days recently.  It is so hard to create new habits, that I am nonetheless proud that I've managed to keep this one going.  I mean, if dh can do *one* round of sunsalution every day for 20 years, I think I can do something similar!

Today, though, the yoga was about creating intention, a bit more inward.  I wake up like a log in the morning, and I think the way I react to stress makes parenting difficult (I need to retreat, they need me closer--AACK!)  So, knowing there was no way in hell I was doing even one salutation first thing out of bed, I did some breathing on the side of the bed, some twists and arm raises.  I tried visualizing something on the inhale and the exhale, but there was nothing there!  My brain was absolutely vacant!  Well, alright.... I can work with that.  Greeted my daughter with a mental "namaste".  Trying to spread the love a bit.

Wow.  I could have answered all the questions by now, but oh, well.  Glad someone had the motivation for renewing this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 35 Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 AM

1.  Who are you?  A 44yo homeschooling mom of 2 girls living in rural PNW.

2. What are your goals for this month?  My goal is still to do some form of practice every single day.

3.  What is the importance of a home practice to you?  It gives me a chance to follow my own inner teacher, it helps center me, and I find the physical benefits of doing a small bit every day far outweigh the benefits of powering through a 90-minute class once a week (though those are nice, too!)  Where I live, there is no yoga close by.  I found that I was racing out the door and down the highway to the closest class, and that just wasn't working.  Also, it's incredibly expensive.  Yoga needed to be a daily part of my life, not a once-a-week Nirvana blitz.

4.  In what ways are you able to support your home practice?  Classes?  Videos?  Magazines?  Internet?  To get reinspired, I bring home a stack of yoga journals both for the articles and for the asanas.  I'll do one of their routines for a day or several, then usually I go back to making my own routines, incorporating some new asanas.  After working on one series to strengthen hips, I could feel my hamstrings tighten.  Then, I picked up an issue with an article about lengthening hamstrings.  Perfect!

5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy:  I rarely have a home practice that is long enough to really push through all the cold tightness, but I love at the end of a routine, going into that last Downward Dog.  It feels so easy and natural.  If I'm doing a video, I'll pause it there to spend some time enjoying it.  That's another bonus to home practice.  I don't have to pause anything, or ignore what others are doing, like in class.  I can do what comes to me, and for however long I like.

6.  What do you struggle with the most?  Keeping going, choosing to do it every day.  I used to say inflexible shoulders and tight groin (orngtongue.gif that sounds funny), but I can work with that. My biggest struggle is definitely dedicating the time to doing it.

ETA:  Summer time means I can take my practice outside, but our yard is littered with critter guts.  I don't imagine most people start their routine by looking for a gore-free spot in the lawn.  I found one that looked pretty good, but I could still smell Death close by.  Sometimes I hate cats!

#5 of 35 Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

What's PNW?

When I left the Dalai Lama's conference last month, I told myself that I soon as I lose the extra weight, I would start doing yoga/relaxation/meditation everyday or so. But I really need to lose that (baby+) weight because otherwise I never will. I am not one of those gals who can work out 3 times a week and lose weight. I have to work out every single day, and only eat good stuff. Which... is hard.

Anyway, til then, my goal is to do yoga 2-3 times a week :)

What kind of journals do you get?

#6 of 35 Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxy View Post

What's PNW?

What kind of journals do you get?

Pacific Northwest.

I get "Yoga Journal"--that's what I meant--the yoga magazine.  I check them out by the stack at the library. 

#7 of 35 Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well well well, since I started yoga I quit smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even TRY, it just happened!

Had been a smoker for 8 years, even during my pregnancy I would smoke 1-3 cigs a day, and I've been smoke free for a week now! Can't believe it!

#8 of 35 Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 AM

That's huge, Jaxy.  Congratulations!

I managed 2 sun salutations while I was gone.  Now we're back and I expect to be focussing on getting back on the yoga wagon again.

#9 of 35 Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thx! I'm very proud of myself! I was kind of scared for when I'd have a drink, but I had 2 beers last night and didn't even want to smoke! That's definitely a first!

Hopefully I'll get a session this afternoon or tonight! Depends on DS' sleep mood :P

#10 of 35 Old 08-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Oh, my I have abandoned this thread and for about one hectic month abandoned my daily practice.  Now I am 5 days in of doing *something* and I had this thought, thanks to another post in another thread, and I think it is important to those of us trying to fit yoga into our days.

Hatha yoga does not have to be separate from other activities, whether exercise or cooking dinner.  You stand tall, root your feet into the earth and take steps deliberately (think of Treebeard walking through Fangorn Forest, every step he takes his "toes" are binding and delving into the earth), engage and lengthen abdominals...

Breathe.

There.  You did yoga while you were walking, standing, sitting, during cardio workouts.  While extra time to explore the traditional poses is wonderful, we can incorporate yoga more fully into what we think is Not Yoga.

It is all Yoga.  

The biggest struggle we have is not our tight hips or shoulders, not the lack of strength in our arms or thighs, it is within ourselves, to make each move conscious and deliberate.

And now this is treading into the territory of Spirituality, but you don't have to take it there (I do....).  All movement is yoga.

#11 of 35 Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yes namaste.gif We just need to remember that!

I do the mountain pose at work when it's slow... But these days are all but slow and I run around like a crazy person so I don't have time to even think about anything... I guess it's good in some ways.

#12 of 35 Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 AM

I am glad you caught the post, Jaxy.  It was partly for your benefit as well as my own.

#13 of 35 Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just coming back to Mothering forums, been off awhile because I have a high needs cute little peanut that is 16 months old. Just taking a breath now :-) Reading your posts to get caught up and join in. Can I say-- I love you gals already! Your both inspiring and I know I will learn from you. Here I go (BTW, I can't find the fancy text stuff? I just have a rely box and that's it). Congrats Jaxy on quiting smoking and Sweet Silver I love your tips. Let's check-in often to stay accountable to each other-- what do ya say? 1. Who are you? Hi :-) I'm Jessica (my stepson used to call me Jessimaca for some reason). I'm a wife, mother, RN, and I don't know what else right now, but I think I made a list in my signature ;-) I am also a yoga student and teacher (still consider myself very much a newbie though-- went through a basic teacher training 3 years ago. I just teach prenatal yoga right now in 6 week sessions. Don't have time for much more and want to start focusing on myself and my practice (which is in it's infancy I feel, but around where I am that's more experienced than most-- very whitecolar small midwestern town I live in). 2. What are your goals for this month? My goal is to get some form of yoga in on most days I don't work (I work every Thur, Fri and every other Sat night) along with a walk or a little cardio. My sanity is better with this plan :-) 3. What is the importance of a home practice to you? Honestly a home practice wasn't very important to me in the past-- I used to teach and go to a few classes a week before my daughter. Now I can't manage that so I've begun a home practice in earnest and I'm finding it very helpful. 4. In what ways are you able to support your home practice? Classes? Videos? Magazines? Internet? I do DVDs occasionally at home and like you Sweet I use Yoga Journal (I had a subscription that expired, but I'm thinking of renewing. I also use doyogawithme a free yoga site with videos thats awesome! Just learned about that gem-- check it out! 5. Tell us about your most delicious asanas or sequences, whether they are challenging or easy: I tend to gravitate towards a slower, more gentle flow. I like deep, delicious stretches. I don't have time for much though. I try to squeeze a little in during my daughter's nap time which means I skip showering then! LOL! 6. What do you struggle with the most? Time and time and time. I want to continue to work on all 8 branches of yoga. I want to work on incorporating more. Would either of you be interested in throwing in a book discussion as well? And I would love to keep in touch and discuss our practice. On a side note-- I've never done a headstand-- someday I want to be good at this. But, I'm weak and out of shape and a little heavier since my daughter was born and all these things hinder my practice (the asana part anyway).

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#14 of 35 Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 AM

Jessimaca (so cute!) thanks for popping in.  This thread is a bit slow, but it manages to pop up again just when I think it's dead, so it serves a good purpose.  I do hope both to check in more regularly, and also get to my yoga more routinely as well.

#15 of 35 Old 08-25-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just getting out of another cold (second sickness this month, I swear this is not me :( ) to welcome you Jessimaca :)

Anybody does/has done yoga with or around a baby? I often hear baby yoga, but to me it sounds impossible... How does that work? I'm also struggling with time, but I know I could squeeze (or stretch? :) ) a 10-15 min daily yoga session, I just need to find the motivation/the right state of mind...

#16 of 35 Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Baby yoga to me sometimes meant doing yoga with the baby on the floor, sometimes in the carrier, sometimes on my legs, in hands.  It meant nursing as needed, and when I was able to do mama yoga classes (before multiple kids) there would be times when all the mamas were nursing and it was just time for meditation.  

Baby yoga for active babies and toddlers meant them crawling over and under and constant interruptions for things (breathe, mama).  Then it meant popping in a kids yoga video to do together

#17 of 35 Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM

I am new to yoga and would love to join this thread for motivation! (Though I guess we are moving out of summer and into fall).

1. Who are you?

Jen, 31, wife and mom to 2 boys (ages 5 and 3 yrs) and a new little girl (almost 4 months). I work very part-time as a L&D RN, and also do some photography (newborn/baby/family). I am trying to get into a healthy exercise habit of jogging 3-4 times per week, strength training 2 times per week and doing yoga on most days.

School is starting up next week, so our daily rhythm will be changing. My goal is to fit yoga into my days, and continue to explore different kinds of yoga to find what works best for me. I love the idea of living a yogic life (not just on the mat for 30 minutes), so I am working my way through the The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali. It is much more philosophical than I am used to and I am finding it difficult to absorb (especially when my reading time comes at the end of the day while nursing babe to sleep. By then my mind is mush!)  

3. What is the importance of a home practice to you?

The convenience and cost. I will maybe someday take some classes, but right now, I don't see when I would be able to get out of the house.

4. In what ways are you able to support your home practice? Classes? Videos? Magazines? Internet?

I recently started subscribing to Yoga Journal. I use videos primarily - I find it nice to have that voice constantly reminding me to breath (beginner here!).

I really love deep stretches and hip openers, especially on days that I run. I think I may need to explore into Yin Yoga.

6. What do you struggle with the most?

As with most people, finding the time. Especially with a 4 month old, whose napping is sporadic. I need it to be quiet, as I just cannot concentrate and don't feel I get as much out of doing yoga with 2 boys running around me and a baby awake. I need it to be 'me' time.

Sweetsilver - Above you wrote: "I wake up like a log in the morning, and I think the way I react to stress makes parenting difficult (I need to retreat, they need me closer--AACK!) So, knowing there was no way in hell I was doing even one salutation first thing out of bed, I did some breathing on the side of the bed, some twists and arm raises. I tried visualizing something on the inhale and the exhale, but there was nothing there! My brain was absolutely vacant! Well, alright.... I can work with that. Greeted my daughter with a mental "namaste". Trying to spread the love a bit."

That is totally me too! And it is only going to get worse with school starting and getting up earlier. This is partly what I mean by incorporating yoga into life. Thank you for the perfect example!!

Jaxy - That is so great that you were able to stop smoking!

Jessimaca - I would totally be in for a book discussion! There are a couple books I have my eye on...though I thought I should try to get through the sutras first.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#18 of 35 Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post

I am new to yoga and would love to join this thread for motivation! (Though I guess we are moving out of summer and into fall).

Because this thread chugs along at its own pace, I'll just be changing the title of the thread instead of starting a new one so we don't lose everybody who hopped on in the last week.

#19 of 35 Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea SweetSilver! How's everybody doing?

A new friend of mine brought me to her yoga class last Friday! It wasn't a beginner's class that I can tell you! It was very fast (I guess that's what they call power yoga?) and was more of a work-out than yoga, to me. It was interesting and fun to get out and meet people, but it was too fast for me. Couldn't enjoy the positions at all! I don't think I would go back. Had a great time with her and I'm glad I found such a great new friend though!

On the other hand we are moving very soon, found a house with 3 bedrooms so HOPEFULLY we will get it and I will have a room to practice yoga!!!! :) (it will probably be a storage/music/guest/yoga kind of room). It will help me to get motivated to practice because right now my options are very limited. It's or I do it in the room where the baby sleeps or in the living room with my husband watching tv beside me............... Can't wait to get the answer from the landlord!! Please please please, choose us!!!

#20 of 35 Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Jaxy, I forgot you started this thread, so if you want to change the title for fall here's a good starting post to welcome in the season:

Ahem (channeling inner Yoga Teacher).....

With the autumn equinox, we approach another day of balance, this time turning ourselves towards a time of more introspection and subtle growth to prepare for another burst of exuberance at the reawakening of the new year.  Rains have returned for many of us, easing the drought of body and spirit, and giving us renewed energy and life for one last stretch before the Great Sleep of winter.  Now is a great time to reflect on our inner motivation and dedication and renew our intention to dedicate one part of each day to our yoga practice, whether that is within another form of exercise, or a yoga routine.

Southern Hemisphere folks, take my speech and reverse it!!! :p

Namaste! 

#21 of 35 Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Done!!

#22 of 35 Old 09-17-2013, 08:27 AM

I have been dragging, but I've done a bare minimum of yoga every day for the last 3 days.  A blip?  Or am I actually getting back on track?

It's funny, sometimes these breaks give my body a chance to rest, and I feel certain improvements in some asanas.  I other ways, I feel like I've dropped back and have to catch up again.  I have today off, so I have no excuse to miss yoga today.

#23 of 35 Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Hey All, I see that no one has posted on this thread in a bit but I'd like to join in anyway.  Just subbing for the moment so I won't forget to post later but will definitely answer the opening questions within next day or two.  Hope that's all okay.  :innocent

#24 of 35 Old 10-22-2013, 04:41 PM

The thread creeps, but never manages to die.  For me, it shows that creating habits is hard!  I've managed to get my old routine back in action for 3 days running.  Will check in again in a few days!

#25 of 35 Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Hi I am new here and just found this thread....perfect timing. I need the motivation.

My weight has really crept up on me and I need to be practicing my yoga. I am returning to it after being away for some years.

1. Who am I? 

I work at home so having a home practice is important for me. I am an artist and a writer. I am presently writing and illustrating books for children to publish on Amazon so will see how that goes, only one done so far and it didn't do much beyond family and friends, lol.

2. My first month goal is to do my home practice three days a week and go to a club two days a week. I want to do the breathing exercises everyday. I prefer the home practice, but I NEED to get out of the house ....

3. and 4. My home practice is what I can afford to do regularly, but sometimes it is hard to stay motivated. I found online classes at classesyoga.net and love that there are videos for larger bodies. I have at least sixty extra pounds now...just crept up on me, I think a lot of it was stress so that makes Yoga even more important for me. 

#26 of 35 Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM

1.   #1 Who are you?

I am Kerry! 

I am a farmer; I care for ten acres, four pigs, eight sheep, 16 birds, three dogs, two cats, a bunch of fish, several fruit trees, and a vegetable garden. I guess that is my “job” (as well as preparing, organizing, storing, and serving foodstuffs) and it is time-consuming and life-consuming and I mostly love it but sometimes hate it.

I am an artist (-in-waiting); I am blessed with a studio I never actually enter, but only dream about working in.  I dream of sun-drenched mornings spent painting in vibrant oils, knuckle-deep in clay, arms that ache from cranking the wheel on the press. But those are school–girl fancies because day-to-day…

I am mother to a 3 yo DS, whose extroverted, talk-all-the time, “who will play with me while you do the chores” behavior baffles me, because I am an introverted gal from a quiet, “just happy doing my own thing while you do your thing” family, who married a deeply private man from a quiet family of introverts.  What gives? shrug.gif  If I hadn’t had him at home I’d a really wondered if he wasn’t switched at birth.

I am devoted daughter to a mother who lives with us (in the El).  And step-father, whom I still struggle to like.  Loyal sister to two sisters, one brother, two sister-in-laws, and three brother-in-laws.  Auntie to four amazing girls and five unbelievable boys.   Even just writing that I can’t believe how blessed I am with family. 

I am most of all a person interested in creation, family, and food.  Writing this was a great exercise for me.  I am really looking forward to being a regular part of this thread.

WooHoo, Question #1 done!!!:bouncy

Jaxy/Marie-  Didn’t mention this as part of “who I am” but I am also a total Francophile, I grew up in ME and the only language offered in HS was French.  Never been to France or even Quebec but DH & I visited Guadaloupe for our “babymoon.”  Off-topic but are you raising your son bilingually?  Could you recommend some great French language kids books or music CDs?  Also, just recently found out that we are just 3+ hrs from Montreal, so definitely planning a visit in the next year!

SweetSilver- I identify with so many of the things you have written.  “tight groin”, “finding time to do it,” “the way I react to stress makes parenting difficult.”  I need more time to properly react/ respond to these feelings.  But they fit more neatly into the questions I haven’t answered yet.  BTW- A creeping thread suits me because I am a slow thinker who is only sporadically online…

Jessimaca-  Love the name & origin! 

Berrymama- Gorgeous photo!

I hope you both are still participating in this thread!  You seem like wise women from your posts. 

Be back to answer #2 in a day or two.  

#27 of 35 Old 11-02-2013, 05:10 PM

Hello pjsart!  hola.gifI think we must've crossed threads last time I posted.  Writing and illustrating children's books, how fun!  I am hoping that joining this thread will be a source of motivation for me too.   How's it going so far?

2.) My goal this month is to establish a daily practice.  I have been practicing yoga on and off for about 15 years, but my practice was definitely at it's strongest while I was pregnant with my son. I think now that one of the reasons I so loved being pregnant was due to all that time spent doing yoga, taking walks, meditating.  Time for those things, and self-care in general, really fell off for me after his birth.  I got pregnant again last December and found out just how much I wished I had kept to it.:eyesroll  Those first two months were brutal. I was so fatigued, stressed-out, angry, anxious, emotional...    But I started practicing again and for a couple of weeks things got so much better. Unfortunately, just when I felt like I was gaining some serenity about the changes another baby would bring I miscarried at 13 weeks. At first I kept up with my practice, and meditation especially seemed to bring me a lot of solace in those first few weeks following our loss.  DH and I decided to try again right away and I charted and started running again. But then my mother got very ill, and a stressful visit from my in-laws delayed my O, and my practice fell off (as in came to a grinding halt,) and I decided I needed a break from TTC and anything else non-essential, to try and unpack all the crazy of the last year.   It was the right decision.  DH and I had time to really talk about how we see ourselves and each other as parents, and what we need from each other and what we can give.  There has really been a huge improvement in our relationship and I think if I become pregnant again he will be more supportive and understanding during those first tough months. My family came from all over and helped us get the wood in, and cider pressed, and a fence built behind the barn.  I am so grateful for them.  And my Mom has finally turned a corner and is getting stronger again.  And now my practice is slowly, slowly shuddering back to life.  

3.) A home practice is essential to me.  I haven't been to a class in over three years.  It would be at least a 40 minute drive to get to a class around here.  I like that classes introduce me to new poses and encourage me to spend time on asanas that are less than favorites.  Yet often I find that I like to go a little more slowly than most classes flow or spend extra time in a pose that feels extra good.  

4.) I have a stack of videos; favorites include a series of five 20 min. practices with Rodney Yee, and Jennifer Wolfe’s prenatal with 15, 30, 45, and 75 min sequences  (although I haven’t seen that 75 min one in a long time).  I have an audiobook of Seane Corn that I really like (but again, it’s too long to do often). 

Sometimes I like to put on The Magic of Healing Music by the Becvars (my only new agey music, suggestions welcome!) and do asanas of my own choosing in my own sequence. But I feel like I don’t ever push myself hard enough when I practice without any guidance.  I end up just doing a bunch of seated twists and forward bends.  shrug.gif

This summer I got two new books: Yoga and Fertility and Fully Fertile: A Holistic 12-Week Plan.  DH and I have decided to start TTC again in the next few months; we are kind of leaving things open though, no stress, no worry.  And I am really looking forward to taking these next few months to place my attention on my own balance and peace of mind. It takes some of the stress off TTC if I shift my focus to getting myself healthy and centered.  Both books have some great sequences in them.  I’ve never really worked from a book before but I kind of like it.  And I am loosely following the “12 week plan.”

Week one is to start a daily practice of breathing, kriya exercises, and asanas.  I’ve been on week one for about three weeks. :wink   I really want to get a daily practice going before I move on—which I’ll measure by 7 days in a row.   Managed 4 days this past week, and tomorrow is a new beginning. :joy

#28 of 35 Old 11-03-2013, 08:32 AM

MsBe, sorry to hear about your loss--it all sounds so incredibly stressful.  Glad that it is looking up.  And great work on the 4 days of yoga!

I've been less persistent, but have managed to be consistently every week about doing some routine.  It is so hard creating a new habit that sticks.  I did nearly daily yoga for 5 months, then slipped back.  I consider the fact that I still do it 2 or 3 times a week a victory for changing something about my daily routine.  I continue to incorporate yoga principles in the walks that I do, and that is also a good meditation for me, though the walks are irregular, too.

I can ask myself--can I do just one salutation in a day?  Just one?  But I can also ask, what do I consider a personal victory?  I need to be able to say that my irregular persistence--when it is so difficult to be mindful and forge new habits--is a victory in itself.  I would love to take that to the next level, but considering that I did no yoga for a huge stretch, the 2-3x/week is huge.

Welcome everyone!  And hopefully this thread can find it's footing to help energize our motivation in those moments when we have the choice to stop for 20 minutes and do our daily yoga, or get chores done or just spend more time on the computer or...... 

#29 of 35 Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM

Hi! Good job on doing prenatal yoga! Doing exercise during pregnancy can help alleviate constipation, improve your mood and build your strength and endurance, which can potentially help during labor and delivery.

Doing prenatal yoga is also very helpful as it will help develop your body's flexibility and balance to prepare you for the big day. Also you have to understand that only you know your body best so if you feel that one system doesn't work well for you or makes you feel uncomfortable then you have to stop and find another system that will better suit you. Keep it up and stay healthy!

Sandy Sherwood

#30 of 35 Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Made it 8 days in a row and was feeling great but had a very busy Wednesday and was exhausted yesterday... :zzz But back on the wagon today with another 30 minutes!  :)

How is everyone else doing?  

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page