Dingos sweating out the evil in July - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As another perspective, if you are a parent of a super-high energy kid, then seeking out camp activities like drama and gardening seem to make sense as they are active activities. But yes, DD moaned and groaned about having to write a whole paragraph for one of her summer camps, until she showed up to discover that everyone there actually really wanted to be there.

FWIW, we gave up on craft camp and similar things because my greyhound couldn't take it. Even short ones had kids sitting still for too long. History camp (in the 19th century village) is pushing it, and I generally run her at the pool or park right after.

Attention span in minutes for an average kid is about their age, so an 8 year old likely needs to have things change up every 8 minutes. It's hard to remember these things when your own kids have a longer attention span.

Remodeling is an adventure. Woke up to all power flickering this morning and arcing at the power connection to the house. Yesterday, a wall collapsed, exposing two hidden electrical boxes with bare wires. Yes, the two events are most certainly linked. The main crew is great, though. And careful. I'd wish they'd wear hard hats when removing out brick wall, though.

Did a track workout last night as my RP was AWOL.

We finally got the results of Ds' eval. Two diagnoses seem to explain our issues. We got two more as bonus, but I'm skeptical about them. DH and I have agreed to treat the diagnoses we think are spot on, and if anything is left over, we'll do a new eval. We got referred to a speech therapist who is brilliant, and could pick up on DS' issues pretty quickly (after 4 years of pursuing diagnoses), and discovered a few more things. DS, it turns out, barely has a gag reflex. For a kid who stuffs his mouth habitually (or to compensate for his oral-motor issues), this is pretty scary. Speech therapy is now twice a week. 30 miles away. Through the city's worst traffic. At 4:30 pm. Joy. (but genuine joy at finding the right therapist)
#302 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM

I could use all my favorite faces to respond to your post Geo.

Jawdrop at the electrical issues (this is why I'm waiting to insulate my walls -- rewire first, insulate second).

Nod head at the camp stuff. Although my kiddos CAN sit still longer and also when I put it together to think about putting a camp together, even thought I *know* I can make it very well attended. There's a reason I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

We finally got the results of Ds' eval. Two diagnoses seem to explain our issues. We got two more as bonus, but I'm skeptical about them. DH and I have agreed to treat the diagnoses we think are spot on, and if anything is left over, we'll do a new eval. We got referred to a speech therapist who is brilliant, and could pick up on DS' issues pretty quickly (after 4 years of pursuing diagnoses), and discovered a few more things. DS, it turns out, barely has a gag reflex. For a kid who stuffs his mouth habitually (or to compensate for his oral-motor issues), this is pretty scary. Speech therapy is now twice a week. 30 miles away. Through the city's worst traffic. At 4:30 pm. Joy. (but genuine joy at finding the right therapist)

Yes. Yes. Yes. to finding the right therapist. Sucky about traffic. And I can imagine where you're going and recall doing that drive occasionally when we lived there and oh yuck.

Today's episode of WTF?

Last night, another episode of insomnia. Gah. I'm so over not sleeping in the middle of the night. All my demons come out to haunt my brain then.  So....today no coffee after noon. No soda at all. No beer. Add in a run.  No bed until 10pm.  If I sleep all night in my very own bed (do I sound 4?), then I'll move on to two days in a row.

Episode two:

I'm making myself lunch. Go in fridge and grab yesterday's whitefish leftovers + some leftover tuna. Mix them together to make a tuna salad sandwich. Take a bite into said sandwich and have the worst gag reflect EVER!  So I spit the whole thing out in the trash. Proceed to eat something else (just fine BTW).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#303 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 AM

geo - so glad all your efforts to properly diagnose your DS are paying off.

RR - had my follow up with pain management today and was given the okay to run again, so it's back to C25K for me smile.gif.

NRR - As part of my quest to read every single Newberry Award winner, I am currently reading The Giver by Lois Lowry. Holy crow, is it good. And totally reminds me of The Hunger Games minus the whole kids killing each other thing. The bad part is, I can't put it down. My children are feeling neglected. DD1 is at Summer Book Club at her 3rd grade teacher's house! She invites all of her class from the previous year to come to her house and share a book they've read this summer, eat pizza and socialize before school starts up again. How cool is that?!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#304 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 AM

I've almost made it through all the Newberry books.  I tend to get lost in reading other books by the authors.  The Giver is one that sent me into a Lois Lowrey kick.  The rest of the quartet is excellent, though some of the themes kinda bludgeon you (the books are meant for teens, I guess), and I loved Number the Stars, The Silent Boy, and Gossamer.  I also ended up reading almost all of e.l. konigsburg's books as well.  View from Saturday and The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place were favorites there.

OK, so remembering we have no kitchen, I have a long list of sensory things to do for DS' mouth in each meal.  Yeah, that's going to be easy.  I can freeze some ice cubes at least, I guess.  I'm still marveling at the lack of gag reflex. 

Our walls have no insulation.  The walls have no framing or studs, either.  It's just straight masonry.  As I'm from earthquake country, that kinda freaks me out.  The air return for our heat appears to be the same duct as the heat, which might explain why this house is hard to heat...  The electrician just came again to double check everything in the house was ok.  He ranted about how he used to work for the main electrician in the area, and he did a job in the owner's house.  He quit and went out on his own when the owner of the company told him to just wall in an open electrical box.  I think we'll get along with this electrician.  That, but no lights aren't flickering even when they cycle the sawzall.  I wonder if light bulbs won't burn out as fast now?

I've been having insomnia as well in the last few years, always on nights when the kid demons are particularly fierce.  Cutting way back on coffee only sort of helps.  I find I have to move to the couch and listen to Rachel Maddow, who somehow induced the sleep of the dead.  I rarely last through her first segment.  Go figure.

OK, back to teaching my 7 year old the alphabet.  I suspect one of his (mis)diagnoses came because it took him forever to write the alphabet.  Handwriting speed isn't the problem.  Repeating the alphabet is the problem.  Plugging that little hole...  bag.gif

#305 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 AM

My seven year old spent 90 minutes alone playing Lego this morning. She usually spends 1-2 hours daily doing quiet self-directed stuff (reading, Lego, drawing, blocks, barbies) plus some pretty independent French and fiddle practice. It's easy for me to forget that there's nothing "wrong" with my four year old only having a 10 minute attention span.

Geo, the lack of gag reflex is alarming. I hope the traffic doesn't kill you and the therapist is terrific.

JayGee, honorary for being cleared for C25K. Agreed, The Giver is amazing.

kerc, good luck with the sleep plan. Fingers crossed.

NRR- Domestic day here. It's a bit cooler, so I've canned green beans, made granola, working on cookies and yam/black bean burrito filling. Will start a big pot of spaghetti once the butcher opens, too.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#306 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 01:53 PM

Wow, Geo. My kids and I are the opposite with regard to the gag reflex; your journey with this kid--as frustrating as it sometimes is dealing with "pros," and of course trying to figure out his needs and how to provide for them--has really been unique and incredible and fascinating. I mean, I know I am not in the day-to-day thick of things right there with you, but what an amazing kid. And also this, I hope maybe not too long from now you can maybe get a better time of day for therapy? Maybe? Your remodel is giving me the shivers. Way to soldier on, mama, even getting the run in. thumb.gif You rock.

MelW, thanks for the suggestion. Once I had a little clarity coffee flowing in my veins, I googled "two days in Paris" and got some pretty good jumping-off points. Just not sure whether my two are so much art museum material, so maybe it's the Arc, Eiffel Tower, Seine tour, Notre Dame, Sainte Chappelle, Sacre-Coeur, and walks through a couple of very different arrondissements.

Trying to get DD to pick up Sounder. She just finished Fever 1793 and found it pretty captivating, but claims she wants to read Alice in Wonderland now. om.gif That she is reading is a victory. I just think a lot of the Alice stuff is still over her head. I dunno.

RR: Was going to do something today but never got around to deciding what, and then my mom came over. So I am doing laundry and cooking seafood tom yum. I got the kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass but not the galangal, but I have fresh ginger and if I am being honest it smells like heaven when I stick my head in the pot. And that is about how RR I am today. wild.gif

#307 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM

Plady, bow.gif I could not run a summer camp. I have no doubts about my limits. We did a couple last year and Helen did one this year. I am always so disappointed in the content. It is glorified babysitting in so many cases. This year was a drama camp with high recommendations and another mother offered to do some of the driving for me. It was so light on theatre and she didn't do any of the driving but my daughter did get to spend a few days with friends and I did not have to entertain.

geo, I hope the remodel stays on schedule and you get your kitchen back. I too am glad you are happy with your therapist, too bad they aren't more convenient.

kerc, I totally cut out coffee for over two months this spring (I might have had the better part of two pots a day previously). I made some massive dietary changes (no dairy or gluten). I am not usually a drinker (money and calories). I have never slept so well. The changes didn't stick but I do know what to do if the need returns. I hope you sleep better soon.

jaygee, I love these book discussions. It reminds me to go search the shelves and put out books the younger girls won't find on their own. I follow the practice of strewing good books about the house and letting them think it is their idea to read them because a recommendation from me or their older sister may backfire. Enjoy your return to running.

jo, I let them read books they are excited about. Sometimes that means all they get is a good story. They can go back and reread for deeper meanings later. Also, I wish I was trip planning.

melw, I wish I was in your kitchen!

All about me: I need to make a dinner happen before swim practice. I have been lifting and moving on schedule this week. I am ready for the regular routine of fall.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#308 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM

I re-read my previous posts and hope nobody thinks I am cutting down parents of high-energy kids for enrolling them in camps/workshops (or criticizing the kids for their attention spans). I was reflecting more on my lack of preparedness in dealing with it and now enhanced understanding of why most camps and activities are run in the way that they are. Even the way that our school operates involves good attention to the younger set's attention spans by shifting between multiple activities/stations/classes during the day, but this doesn't allow the deeper concentration on a single subject that would help my kid to thrive. That said, I'm lucky that she's flexible AND that we have the benefit of the homelearning days for her to go deeply into whatever she's working on (and leave me with stretches of time to do my work).

Yoga, squats, yoga, push-ups.

Lunchtime conversation:

Me: "Nora, why do you have such a potty-mouth?"

Nora: "Because I was born in a bathroom"

She's right. I was speechless and once again outsmarted by a four year old.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#309 of 312 Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM

geo~Yikes! At your electrical issues. And hooray for the right therapist! (sorry about the traffic greensad.gif)

melw~biglaugh.gif

I was a total dongo today. Slept past noon. Was going to try to go to the Y for a swim, but previously planned 7:30ish meet-up with a friend who's borrowing my wetsuit became 5:30 instead, so no swim, no run, no nothing. I guess I shouldn't say that I didn't get anything done at all...I did get some emailing/bill-paying/etc done and a smidge of housecleaning (before I work all weekend, DS comes home on Monday and my sister and her family descend upon us Mon pm). But nothing physical. Which is not overly encouraging for tomorrow's long run, but oh well. It'll get done, one way or another.

And then there will be date #2...lunch this time. I am a little scared about eating on a date. Drinking is one thing, eating is something else entirely! Meanwhile, we have a place, but not a time...I think he thought he put a time in his email, but nope, not there. And it's a nice restaurant, but I don't want to hang out there all day. orngtongue.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#310 of 312 Old 08-02-2013, 03:11 AM

I slept all night in my very own bed (9pm=5am). Do i get a sticker?

Yes!!!  (But now I really want to make some coffee and frankly, I think I'm better off with decaf. We have no decaf. sad violins).

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#311 of 312 Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM

I have no new thread titles. smile.gif. I also have not been running since Monday as school has started and there just isn't time till I get procedures in place. Wondering if homeschool will continue though to graduation? Just musings.

Later!
#312 of 312 Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 AM

August Thread

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page