Dingos sweating out the evil in July - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 AM
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy dating Gaye!!!!  I also hope they are worthy!

Plady - I'm dying here reading your post.  I often feel homicidal with Fleetwood Mac, so you aren't alone.

Mommajb - I love the idea of a tweens club.  How perfect.  We have Girl Scouts, which, for now, is sort of filling the void. 

RR: Not yet.  I am trying to be good.  Trying to listen.  But, it is sooo hard.  I don't LIKE being sick and am feeling rebellious about it.  I wanted to go on a 3 mile run. Bah.  Stupid lungs.

NRR: Not only is my cache placed, it has had it's first find!  Less than 24 hours after placement.  Not too bad!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#242 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Yes, Plady, thanks for the laughs.

Had a chat with my sister about the middle school thing last night, and she assured me that I am really not inflicting damage on ds by being where we are now. In the course of the conversation, she mentioned that the county we grew up in has the highest binge drinking rate...in the state with the highest binge drinking rate. Alcoholism is a norm here that, frankly, begins in middle school. Ask me how I know. The county we live in now is not terribly far behind. Can I raise kids who don't become alcoholics? Probably. But that's just a drop in the sea of reasons it's OK for a 11-13yo boy not to be in public school at this moment. My sister was a middle school teacher, and she pointed out that incredibly little instruction actually took place in middle school. Personally, I think I have the fewest actual memories of those years (repression, maybe). I do remember even my closest friends seeming to lose their minds, and a sort of no-holds-barred environment of shame, humiliation and meanness. Would this be ds's experience? Maybe not. But, considering he is on the late side of puberty...well, maybe.

Sigh.

So. My usual Ramadan experience has been one of gaining about 6 lbs over the month. I could not afford to do that, because I went totally off the rails at the move/transition. So, I buckled down a couple weeks before Ramadan and weighed myself for a benchmark. I am down 5 pounds since then, which isn't much, but it's a definite difference in how my clothes are fitting which is great, and it means for once I am doing something right. thumb.gif

RR: About to get on the stationary bike for a bit, and then back here to do my ECEs before heading to Friday prayers.

#243 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 AM

RR: 16 miles yesterday yielded some funny results. ITB was bothering me during run, I'd stop and stretch my hips and it would be better for a little bit. (TMI ahead) My system stops after the exertion and my stomach is huge by the end of the day. This morning body relaxed enough and within 30 minutes I was in the bathroom FOUR times to clear the pipes. Wow! Belly looks normal again. Strange but true.

Taking today as a rest day and doing tons of laundry to get my bedroom to look normal again.
#244 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
 for once I am doing something right. thumb.gif

Um, I think you meant "as usual..." insteda of "for once".  And thank you for the reminder about why I'm dreading middle school.

RM - I have those mornings too, I think it's aging.

My chocolate rage has not subsided yet.  I had to pick up a diabetic bichon frisee last night to care for for the weekend (and then again later in August).  He's pretty freaked out about all our other animals, including the rooster who made him wet his pants when he crowed about 10 feet away.  The bummer is that after his insulin this morning he wouldn't eat his meal.  He nosed it around and made a huge mess but only ate maybe 1/3 of it.  Will this kill him?  I don't know and frankly I only care because a 98 year old lady loves him and I don't want to be tangentially responsible if he dies and she follows suit. Gah.  I hate dogs.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#245 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Jo, it sounds like your sister brings up some good points.  Our kids don't see these nasty underbellies.  They just see the opportunities for seeing friends daily.  I'm quaking in my boots for middle school, despite knowing they keep a lid on the worst that middle school can be here.  The high school, however, is another story.  The drugs and sex with the "wrong crowd" here is pretty bad.  We'll be assessing DD's social smarts to avoid such things as she nears high school.  My cycling buddy C has already decided that her youngest won't go there because of her desperate need to fit in.  C's worry is that her daughter will make extremely bad choices to get in with who she perceives will be accepting.  Her oldest is there, but she's one of these kids to brush off those pressures and find other friends.  C's got a good pulse of her daughter and her daughter's needs, I think, and she's looking at the situations of the two girls realistically.

Signing kids up for an older age range sometimes backfires, particularly when the goal is primarily social.  We've struck out so many times when my kids aren't in the middle of the age range. 

Same thing happens to me on long runs, LLLisa. 

Good luck with the dog, Plady.  PM Naughty Dingo on FB for the eating thing.  Yeah, I wouldn't want that on my hands, either.

Post flu, I'm now back up to 3 miles with a walk break in the middle.  I was up to 4 before the flu!  Ugh, 2 steps forward, 5 steps back, it seems.

Stay, bec.  Good, bec!

Still no report from DS' evaluation.  irked.gif  The principal wants DS in private speech therapy so we have a cue for him in the lunch room.  The principal wants to have the report asap so we can schedule a 504 in the first week of school.  The school is now scheduling 504 meetings 6 weeks out.  School starts in 3 weeks.  Grrrr.  I think the principal let slip DS' teacher for next year.  He's not been placed with the teacher DS wants (and the wonderful one for DD).  However, my sleuthing seems to indicate that he's been placed with the right teacher for him.  Now to manage expectations. 

Also, got a phone call for middle school.  DD's schedule doesn't work, so they're placing her in 7th grade "exploratory arts" (1Q each of art, tech ed, health, and home ec).  They're putting her in health the first quarter because 7th graders get "randy" (vice principal's words) through the year, and she doesn't want my woefully immature 10 year old in with randy 7th graders for sex ed.  blush.gif

OMG, the weather has been GLORIOUS the last few days.  55F at night, mid 80s during the day.  Perfection.

We lose the kitchen Monday.  Suggestions for what to premake for the freezer this weekend?  We'll have a microwave, electric skillet, toaster oven (fits 9x9" pan), and a bbq.  Minimal washing ability for about 2 weeks, but without much kitchen for a total of 5.  Note this will extend across the start of the school year. 

#246 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM

geo, I have a fully functioning kitchen with two ovens plus a microwave and I still can't come up with dinner ideas. My poor, starving children...eyesroll.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#247 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM

1jooj--FWIW, I don't think there's a parent of a middle schooler who hasn't questioned their schooling choices multiple times during that period. The reality is that being a middle schooler is hard, and it's equally if not more hard to be the parent of said child. There are tons of kids who have a miserable time in middle school and would love to be homeschooled (or so they think) and so it's not surprising to hear the opposite also be true. (Granted, the mythology I hear from the homeschoolers in print is that it's all flowers and joy and satisfaction ending in children who are amazingly well-adjusted, confident, brighter and more academically accomplished than the the schooled kids, but then again, it's mythology that chooses to ignore the realities of day-to-day life with kids. I have yet to meet one of these mythical, well-adjusted, brilliant, and completely pleasant children IRL.) If you didn't follow that last, badly-written point, suffice it to say that as a middle school-aged kid, he'll likely be unhappy about any educational situation. Do what works for your family and remember that much of what you're dealing with is more developmental than situational.

Mel38--could you put me down for the Rattlesnake Spring Tri on Aug. 18? Thanks!

sparkle--have a great trip!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#248 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM

You're killing me, Plady! I even read your post to DH. Of course, now we are both singing Eleanor Rigby. Thanks.....

Geo - yikes. Lasagna cut into serving sizes and frozen? Soup? Chili? Grilled cheese? Reservations?! Good luck!

jooj - as DS embarks on his middle school career, these are the things I worry about. He's definitely not at "follower" thank goodness, but the influence is still all around him. His best friend told him what the song "Up all night to get lucky" was about last week. Great....

NRR - Furlough Friday #3 of 11. DH and DD2 are in the basement working on the train layout together, and I'm sewing smile.gif. We had planned on a big bike ride on the rail trail, but it's raining hard out. Maybe tomorrow.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#249 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM

Real, I think you have this nailed. In a less empathetic moment I told gim (but gently) that he would, as you said, probably be miserable about something no matter what, simply because he is 12. He didn't argue. And second, it is maybe the bulk of these not-so-mythical homeschool kids that have him wishing he were in school some days.

Rode 15 miles on the bike and then did my pushups, plank and squats.

RM, I have the opposite usually happen, but it would seem to me that it would have to go one way or the other. 16 miles is a long run.
#250 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM

real, you have got it nailed. I just figured that I will pend 13 years of my life as the parent of a middle school student. om.gif

Have I mentioned how much orthodontia drives me crazy? The older two have never had broken brackets. Dd3 breaks one a month. They are now charging $50 a bracket. The tech assures me that this is normal and expected with patients her age, that she is doing really well, has a difficult mouth, etc. Then when I check out they ask me for more money. I don't expect the practice to take a hit because her mouth is difficult but if it is normal and expected I wish it had been included in the initial estimate. Deep breathe. This time next week I will be down to one child in active treatment.

RR (or not): I think I am going to go re-arrange furniture and vacuum.

#251 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 PM

plady~I quite enjoyed your post. Although I really don't understand what you have against the Eagles. orngtongue.gif

rm~I also go the other way. Exercise works wonders for me. My digestive system, ahem, slowed down a bit while we were on vacation and I was eating like crap and not really working out. After last weekend's ride, I have now completely swung the other way and am ready to not be going quite so much again. Once a day would be plenty, thankyouverymuch.

geo~Freeze some soup, chicken pot pie, mini meatloaves...I bake just about anything that could go in the regular oven in my toaster oven. Although I am feeding one adult and one child, not a family of four, so a 9x9 pan is usually more than sufficient. Good luck with the renovations!

Ok, I have "dates" set up with two guys for next week. Yikes. Nothing like getting started with a bang, right? No dates at all for pretty much ever, and then two in three days? I am just hopeful that they aren't too terribly awkward. I'm meeting the first guy for drinks, not quite decided with the second guy yet, but probably also drinks, as well. Of course, guy #1 doesn't drink alcohol, but that doesn't prevent me from getting one in the interests of um...relaxation, right? bag.gif

rr~Worst run in a long time today. I was supposed to run with a friend this morning, but she texted me that she woke up with a monster headache. So I went back to bed instead. bag.gif I had lunch with a new grad at work that I'm mentoring, then forced myself to get out there. I needed to get my long run in, which according to the training plan that I haven't really been following yet, needs to be 8 miles this week. I did kind of ok for the first 4, then totally hit the wall and walked almost the whole thing back. I was underfueled, dehydrated, and just plain tired. Blech. I got it done, although it was seriously ugly. Really, this is why I do out and backs, because once you get to the turnaround, you have no choice but to get yourself home, right?

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#252 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Geo, do you have a slow cooker or crock pot? That could be a great help to you when you don't have much of a working kitchen. I echo what Gaye said -- make and freeze in square aluminum tins that can fit in the toaster -- lasagnas, pot pies, meat or lentil loaves, chili, enchiladas or burritos, stuff like that. 

If you have the crock pot, check out a slow cooker cookbook from the library if you aren't used to using it for more than just soup or stew. You can do a lot in one of those, even baking desserts believe it or not.

Digestive system -- well gee. I have nothing helpful to say about that. Mine is always, but always, out of whack. Sigh.

It's been a rough couple days here emotionally for me, mamas but I'm trying to find my center again and crawl back outta that dark place. My girls come home Monday which will throw a bit of a wrench into the calm and quiet zone we've had for a month here, but I've missed them so. Re-entry is bound to be fraught with drama and dirty laundry and then we embark on two weeks of craziness, then one week of calm at home, before school starts again. Ack!

RR: Not today. Did do a nice 6 yesterday in a very cool and comfortable 58* morning. Planning for 10 on Sunday if all goes well.

Jo, you rock. You just always are amazing. As for middle schoolers -- yeah. My dd1 is in a small, private religious school environment and her class is all girls (they combine the 6/7/8 grades into single gender classes, which actually works out well for a few reasons including academic as well as social). We have some girl drama but nothing like it would be in a big public high school, thank goodness. 

As for losing weight during Ramadan. bow.gif Amazing.

I need some good vibes and prayers, mamas. Dh has a second interview at that job. I need to find my center and peace and stop hating myself so desperately for past choices and current circumstances and feeling like a disappointment to my family and friends. gloomy.gif  Like I said, a very rough few days. 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#253 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 PM

tjsmama, good luck with both dates. Don't forget to have fun (or to collect funny stories- that's the side benefit of bad dates, right?).

bec, you are amazing!!! I hope you're feeling better soon.

geo, I'd freeze some soups (easy to defrost and eat with bread, toast, etc.) and maybe some muffins/loaf type things that would fill the need for something "home-cooked" in weeks 2-3. At least in summer weather lots of salads will appeal, right? With your set up I would consider borrowing a rice cooker to expand repertoire. 

Plady, when you come to visit I might have to subject you to the massive circa 1970s record collection that I inherited from my dad. I have so much vinyl. Truthfully, we listen to Elvis Costello most of the time because of an obsessive 4 year old. 

Middle school- I am plugging my ears a bit here. Our current school is K-9, so we may just dodge that bullet in terms of educational opportunities. We'll see about the social stuff...

RRish- I'm post-nights and feeling like a bit of a dongo. A short bike ride yesterday and a few squats and sit-ups here and there. My grandma cited daily toe-touches, sit-ups and an evening glass of sherry as part of her living to 100 regimen. I should get on that.

NRR- 15 lbs of pickling cucumbers are sitting on the counter waiting to be canned and I need to bag up the last of the 20lbs of blueberries laying on cookie sheets in the freezer. I teach prenatal tomorrow, so there's a time pressure to get the preserving done.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#254 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Melw, I second the nomination of your grandma as honorary dingo grandma. What a woman!

Geo, perfect weather and a BBQ? Grill! We turn off the gas to our stove and don't even use it in the summer and I don't have a microwave so is basically grilling every night and lots of salads and sandwiches. Fave is to grill something like a pork tenderloin - double batch and use the leftovers for salad or sandwiches another night. No kitchen cooking required. I might even invest in a summer grilling and salad cookbook.

Jooj, I loved my middle school students. The parents freaked me out. So many completely crumbled, chronically crumbled. Hard years. But not for all of them! I am of the mindset that you can crunch all of elementary education into the few years of middle school and be perfectly prepared for high school. Which is to say so much of it is terribly unnecessary. Which is to say maybe place an emphasis on social opportunities bc he's probably got his academics nailed. And, after teaching middle school, I silently decided I would pull my kids out during the middle school years and travel. Which is what you're doing! Of course, I would've never, ever homeschooled my kids (shudder) and I happen to have the kid who is perfectly suited to homeschooling. Who rocks it. What I think is great is the time you makefor the conversations about who he is, his social needs, academic needs, and getting them met. By the way, check out Your Child's Strengths and see what you think. There may be something there...

Plady, spitdrink.gif I, too, had to read it aloud. You were on a roll. I'll never listen to my Pandora 60s the same way. biglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gif

RR: not...

NRR: Ds1 turned 13 yesterday. 13. Awesome. Lots of fun. Looking forward to watching him grow. Not counting the 2" in 7 weeks that just happened.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#255 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM

Ahhh...just broke our fast on delicious leftovers. And dinner conversation revealed that dd's preference is eating in, period. And, in her words, "Everyone, no matter their religion, should fast for at least a couple weeks a year. It would make them so much happier." The girl likes to eat. love.gif

Geo, the slow cooker idea is a really good one. You should be able to cook two meals' worth of food, and then microwave leftovers later. I guess, if you do pasta and rice, I would do a lot of stir fries, stews and curries over rice, noodles, with bread. In Morocco, we ate stews of meat and veg, using bread as the utensil, communally from one platter, nomad-style. Saved a lot of dishes. Also, thanks for the sex ed reminder. I need to cover some more of that info, esp with dd, methinks. She's hanging out with a cousin who is one year older but it's a critical year. Same with ds. Dh's side of the family seems to be a lot less precocious than my side of the family, which means my kids are surrounded by kids who look like grownups all of a sudden.

Nic, fingers crossed for you. And stuff. I hate the way you're feeling. I certainly hope your family doesn't feel the way you feel about it. You've spent many years doing very important work. Don't underestimate the importance of what you have done and do.

Gaye, YES! on the recommendation to have fun. I am sure dude who doesn't drink won't mind if you do. If he minded, he would have suggested meeting for not-drinks. Remember that you are really just out to have a good time right now.

MelW, I just don't think you're a dongo. Toe-touches, huh? My mom is always talking about "bending more," always has, and I always want to punch her in the mouth and tell her she should be squatting instead. mischievous.gif

Tomorrow, I cook The Soup for the mosque's iftar gathering. I do believe that may be my final Ramadan obligation.

#256 of 312 Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 PM

My seven year old just got new boots for fall that I can wear when she grows out of them. Instead of getting something cheap, she now has a nice pair of Blundstones. Lofty, I can totally relate to the 2" in 7 weeks. Happy 13th to your son!

Jo, I'm prefer squats to bending, though I suppose some toe touches would help with flexibility. Having worked with a lot of nurses with back injuries, I'm all about using leg instead of back muscles whenever possible.

#257 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM

MelW - wow! Either your seven year old has really big feet or you have tiny ones! Maybe both? I can share with my 9 yo, but my 7 yo is still in 1 1/2s. Lots of growing going on here this summer though, for sure.

jooj - happy soup making! I have never fasted, but it is intruiging.

tjsmama - looking forward to hearing about your dating adventures wink1.gif.

lofty - happy 13th to your DS!

Nic - vibes and prayers for you DH's job and for you hug.gif.

NRR - Picking up DS and DD1 in an hour. Can't wait to see them again!!!!

RR - bike ride that was supposed to happen yesterday is now scheduled for today.

#258 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

I ran.

And did some ECE though only one set.  

But the best was just getting back out with my RP and feeling pretty okay.  I wore my vibrams expecting the road to be unpaved (Lofty it was the route we took last winter, that was unpaved wasn't it?) but it's been paved with that pretty chunky surface.  It was okay but my calves were feeling a little abused by the end.  We did nearly 3 miles.  But walked the last part.  I think we could have kept running but were enjoying chatting and I was happy to extend our hang out time by walking instead of running.  I'm hoping that RP will pop in and meet you all, she's doing the Whole 30 and I said this was a good place for support.

grouphug.gif

Diabetic dog seems to be calming down and getting into the groove here.  

Time to shower.

#259 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 PM

So far, I have:

Batch each of black bean soup, kerc's pumpkin soup, jo's harira. Total 8 meals
Mock 'zagne, beef enchiladas, chicken enchiladas, hobit pasta. Total 8-9 meals
12 frozen hamburger patties

6 loaves leftover bread (assortment of zucchini, banana, pumpkin, mystery squash)
48 cinnemon rolls
2 dozen bagels (hopefully ~3 weeks of breakfasts)

Hopefully cheese sandwiches, crock pot oatmeal, cold cereal, and bbq can round out the rest. And who needs lunch, right?

Been running. Always, always, always, it's my legs that limit me. My lungs have been burning, feeling empty with air doing little good. Guess I should still be on the sick bench.
#260 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Geo, omelets are also always a good option. I have harira going in three pots today. Well, crockpot, Nesco and stovetop. We would probably eat soup or stew 4x weekly and salad/sandwich the rest. Smoothies for lunch? I feel for you on this.

Plady, glad dog is warming up. There was bound to be some nervousness on entry.
RR: 18 miles biked during laundry and a plank.
#261 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Feel better soon, Geo. Pancakes would be an easy addition on the electric grill, too. You sound amazingly prepared. My goal was to fill the freezer before school starts at the end of August, but I've been eating more than I've been adding to it of late.

JayGee, it's a combo of big kid and small mama, I think. She's a 3 1/2 in girls, which matches my 5 1/2 in women's. The funny thing is that I've many times tried on similar boots and had issues with them being too wide, and when she tried on the biggest kid's size I discovered that the kid version is narrower. I wouldn't be surprised if she passes me in height (5'2") before she's 9.

Prenatal class today with a lovely group of parents-to-be. It's so much more fun when I get a chatty group. ECE later.

#262 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Geo - sounds like you've got it well in hand.  If you eat rice I'd second the rice cooker suggestion.  I have a nice one with a timer and I'd set that up with the crockpot happening and have a nice meal at the end of the day.  Also, don't forget that you can grill anything you can bake if you keep the lid closed and use indirect heat.  I bet it will all become second nature.  I think we had a one burner number with assorted countertop cookers and it was like that for the better part of a year.  It actually took me a while to get back in the habit of using more than one burner at a time on the stove (actually come to think of it, I still rarely do).

Hmm, I had something else but it's sound check time.  Anyone know Dan Hicks?  He's out folk/jazz artist tonight.  Please for the love of God and all else that is holy he will not resort to Beatles covers.

#263 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 08:10 PM

Dan Hicks and his hot licks? Have fun!

#264 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 PM

ROTFLMAO.gifThat is all.

#265 of 312 Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

He did invoke the spirit of Bob Dylan and mention many unmentionables but he did refrain from playing any of their music.  I can relax now.

#266 of 312 Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 AM

plady~That post will go down as an all-time classic. I'll add another "No thank you" to 60's music and diabetic Bichons. Glad you reunited with your RP. Hopefully she'll check in here.

gaye~lurk.gif

sparkle~What an awesome trip! I can't wait to read about it.

melw~Your grandma is a rock star. Seriously.

geo~ bow.gif Damn, woman! I'm so impressed by your meal preparations. 

nic~ grouphug.gif

nrr~ We leave for two weeks at the beach tomorrow--which means I should currently be packing... On kids driving us crazy, I've been leaning on white wine to pull me through. In fact, I said to dh last night that as soon as I have a glass of white wine in my hand, I become like the Statue of Liberty: Give me your tired, your poor. Heck, give me anything--I can take it with that beacon of wine blazing from the end of my arm. MIL is stopping by in five minutes, oh, and she wants to stay for dinner? Great--the more the merrier! DD1's friend is spending the night and her mom wants her closely supervised at all times because there have been "issues"? No problem--I love monitoring the kids! DD2 is shrieking because the older girls are ignoring her? That's okay, sweetheart, just hang with me, and yes, of course you can blare your Selena Gomez music. DS just complained he's bored for the thirty billionth time today? Hey, buddy, why don't you go splash in the muddy puddles outside? I'll get you a towel. You can even shower in my bathroom afterward! Woo, it's my magical elixir. I guess the good news is that I'm heading to the beach with my dad who doesn't drink, so it's cold turkey after today. For the best, I'm sure, but it has been a good run for a couple of weeks!

rr~Just finished week 1 of Higdon's intermediate program. I've been doing the ECEs as my "stretch and strengthen".

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#267 of 312 Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Oh, Towson, that's what wine does for me, too! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who needs a glass of magical elixir from time to time.

Gaye - report back on the dating! How exciting/scary/nerve-wracking! I hope these guys are nice and that you have a good time.

Plady - you had me laughing over here in my office with the music talk. I know where you are coming from! So I guess if we ever have that Dingo commune, the sound track will not be from the Big Chill, right?

Jo - No, I think you have a very good point with the middle school years being a very risky time and public school often being more about managing kids through these years rather than about education. I think this is a case of mom knows best.

Geo, you made all this in advance? Crikey. I have nothing to add ... except when's supper?

RR: I ran 12 (well, ran/walked) with my running group yesterday. It was awesome! The last 3 miles were boring, but other than that, I think I was runner-high or something, because I just felt so dang happy! This time, I also hydrated a ton and had none of the headache that has been plaguing me after long runs lately.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#268 of 312 Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 AM

I've put my running clothes on and I am not changing until I get some forward motion done. My family had better get used to this outfit! bag.gif

#269 of 312 Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post

I guess the good news is that I'm heading to the beach with my dad who doesn't drink, so it's cold turkey after today. For the best, I'm sure, but it has been a good run for a couple of weeks!

ROTFLMAO.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif

Ok I was also LOL at Plady's rant about music.

I'm still on the fence re: half marathon. It would be the whistlestop half in october in Bayfield wisconsin. I might do the 10k and call it even. I'm struggling with mid summer blahs. Can't get work done, can't get myself out the door to exercise, hell I can barely put clothes I haven't slept in on. 

Geo: I'm in awe that your list does not include more take out. 

Here's hoping your weekend did not include lighting a fire in the woodstove. brrr. Not a good tomato growing year.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#270 of 312 Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Quick RR:  Finally got the family out to the rail trail and, thanks to a wrong turn, ended up riding 20 miles! Even the 7 year old!  It was a perfect day for biking, the trail system is amazing and all three kids and DH are rockstars :).

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page