Dingos sweating out the evil in July - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mischievous.gif  Happy July ladies.  Fresh new thread for a fresh new month.

DD1 and I are celebrating the new month by a joint commitment to seeing what happens (to her, I know what will happen to me) in a month of true primal eating and get this ...

drum.gif

We're going to do the couch to 5k too.  She claims to be fed up and humiliated by her mile run times and has been saying she'd like to run with me so, today we're going to start at the track.  I'm also giving up drink.gif for the month (at least).  Sad as it is not to be open for summer cocktails I'm pretty sure I know why that prom dress probably wouldn't zip again if I tried today.  So we'll see.  

NRR: Yesterday I went to Costco for the first time since many years ago in Mexico and it was like the end times are here.  It was so uncomfortably crowded and the staff all said that was a normal Sunday.  yikes2.gif  See, this is what happens when you succumb to peer pressure.  People around here talk about doing a costco run (obvious.y involving the ferry and driving and waiting in ferry lines) as if it is so no biggie and wow, what deals!  So I finally sign up online for a membership and holy cow do I have buyer's remorse.  My only hope is that is was A) All Canadians stocking up for Canada Day (Happy Day MelW and our other canadian blowkiss.gifwhistling.gif) and everyone else was stocking up for July 4th and that's why it was like Blade Runner at the mall.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Woah, a shiny new monthly thread ... on the first day of the month.

Good luck on the couch to 5k and clean eating.  It's great to hear this is something that's coming from C.  It's a positive change.

It's unseasonably cool here.  Sorry to all those baking in the western part of the country.  Swim team has been freezing as we've had such cool nights and a lot of rain. 

I'm shipping the family off for a week starting Friday, so I will have 7 days to get a boatload of work done, and hopefully double down on the running.  Regularity in running is still a struggle.  RPs have lives and jobs and whatnot that keep getting in the way of running.  I am glad that my RP threatened to quit her job if she doesn't get more staff to help her.  That ought to help the running consistency.  ;)

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 AM

Plady - WOOT for you and your DD!!!!! And I'm spitting coffee onto the keyboard reading your description of Costco. Makes me glad we don't have one here! We can be Whole30 partners this month - here's to Day 1!

Dropped DD1 off at camp yesterday. She went with her two best friends for a 4 day/3 night mini camp. The camp was VERY rustic (open cabins, outhouse, lake swimming) and she was so excited! Of course, I woke at 4:00am worrying like crazy about her - what if she has to go to the bathroom at night? what if all her clothes get wet in the forecast rain? what if they don't get to swim because of thunderstorms? what if, what if, what if. GAH!!!! DD2 decided she wants to go next year, but I reminded her that I would not be able to hold her hand at night to fall asleep at camp lol.gif!

It's cool and rainy here. What a difference from the extreme heat and drought of last summer. My veggie garden is loving it though - so far I've harvested tons of green beans, enough lettuce for 20 families and my first zucchini orngbiggrin.gif.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 AM

privateeyes.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM
bec

I really picked the wrong summer to not garden!  Of course, it probably would have not made that much of a difference (other than the weeds would have been magnificent), and I barely have time for laundry, let alone anything else.

NRR: I am taking a total rest day today.  Slept in late (7:30), went out to breakfast with my dear friend that is visiting from Arizona, and just trying to chill a bit. 

I try to go to Costco during the week.  I hate the crowds and everyone acting like they are going to run out of food.  But, I like stocking up on things, and I like their meat.  I think I go about once a month.  And there are two very close by (like within 20 minutes).

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 PM

I'm on the Ohio turnpike.
Wave to everyone in this neck of the woods!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Hello July. Back from a marathon driving trip today, 6+ hours in the car. Ugh.

Up side -- passed through Monticello, NY on the way home (of "Dirty Dancing" fame) where many kosher restaurants set up shop for the summer since there is an influx of religious Jews who spend the summer either in camp or at bungalows in the 'country.' I got some kosher sushi (veggie) and ds got some pizza. We were both happy. Good thing too, because it rained like the dickens all the rest of the (150 mile way) home. Ugh.

RR: biglaugh.gifExercise tonight will be raising a glass of wine up and down from mouth to table. Biceps, I say.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 PM

Well I suspect you would also get the triceps on the way back down. ...

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM

Do I get to see you, kerc? I'm without spouse and kids starting Friday afternoon. I can travel.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM

Back from our whirlwind trip to Madison. One little car-overheating scare, but we cruise (a nearly empty) State Street and ate lunch there before hitting TJ's and two halal shops. One kinda sucked, and it was the farther shop. The other one, OMG, sources their meats here, will take orders ahead, and will even freeze the meat for me. So I can drive down and only have to go as far as the east side, and pick up already frozen meats, cut and packaged to order. Kind of a long drive, but considering the construction mess in Milwaukee these days, I will take it.

Tomorrow, a run.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Oh my, can't believe July is here already!

Plady, I'm excited for you and dd1's new adventure. I hope it's a good one! I loved it when my oldest did C25K with me. I may do it again this fall. Good luck!

Geo, a week sans people in your home? Gulp! That is unfathomable to me. Hope it's a good one!

JG, hope camp is great! Those veggies sound delish.

Towson, was it your town that I read about that had that cute little red panda that escaped?

Bec, enjoy your friend.

Kerc, on your way home?

Jooj and Nicka, you are reminding me to eat healthily so I am googling in another window the nearest local food kind of place I can find. It will probably be an hour but hopefully not more.

RR: Had another great swim 2 days ago with the kiddos. So. Much. Fun. Dh boats us out about 300- 400 yards and then we swim in. He stays near so the youngest can hang on to the boat. It may not be very far, but we sure have fun. We play a lot around the boat before swimming in so it's a bit more exercise than just the swim in. I'm counting it.

Went for such a long kayak trip yesterday with dh, sil & bil. It was supposed to be a short creek observational kind of trip which is why I went. They are uber-competitive and I usually just like to stop and smell the roses. But for various reasons the short trip was cancelled and the long trip was undertaken and had I known I would've stayed home and read. But I did it and I survived and of course it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be in my head and I even had fun. But today, I can barely move my arms. So I did about an hour of yoga trying to unkink, stretch, and loosen up my back muscles.

Tomorrow, it depends on the weather. If it's rainy, I guess I'll do weights. Otherwise, I'll hit the water again.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 07-02-2013, 01:09 AM

jog.gif

Night 2 of 3. Freaking out about getting packing totally done before coming back to work tonight. I'm sure it will be fine, but still freaking out about it.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 AM

jog.gif 2013 Dingo Race List
:

JayGee - GeoComfort TriGreen Triathlon, August 11, 2013

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #5, August 11, 2013

tjsmama - Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Olympic distance Saturday, Sprint distance Sunday) on August 17-18, 2013

Realrellim - Rattlesnake Sprint Tri, August 18, 2013

mel38 - Francis Marion Dirt Dash Half Marathon, September 7, 2013

1jooj - Fox Cities Half, Sept 22, 2013

tjsmama & mel38 - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013

jog.gif  2014  jog.gif

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder, June 15, 2014
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon, July 13, 2014
tjsmama - Ironman Boulder, August 3, 2014

Special dates:

candle.gif September 24, 2012  Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts. stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 AM

run.gif2013 Dingo Race Results partytime.gif

mommajb - Tinkerbell Half, January 20, 2013

mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 26, 2013 - 1:38:46

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K, January 27, 2013

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon, February 10, 2013 - 1:59:47

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k, March 10, 2013 - 41:58

JayGee - AOH 5k - March 10, 2013 - 27:48 (DS's time - 26:53, for his first 5K ever!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon, March 24, 2013

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k, April 5, 2013 - 1:00:28

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint Triathlon, April 20, 2013 - 1:32:21

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

tjsmamaCherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler, April 28, 2013 1:41:58

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k, May 4, 2013 - 1:00:?

Dmitrizmom -  Pieathlon, May 11, 2013

JayGee & DD1 - St. Louis Girls on the Run 5k, May 11, 2013 - 41:00

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 4:00:44

tjsmama - Colfax 1/2 Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 2:15:54

Dmitrizmom -  Gladiator Assault Challenge, May 19, 2013

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #1, May 19, 2013 - 1:26:37

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 53:11

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 59:07

Mel38 - Lowcountry Splash 2.4 mile swim, June 1, 2013 - 57:36

Nickarolaberry - Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, June 2, 2013 - 2:30-ish

Dmitrizmom - Grinnell Games Half Marathon, June 8, 2013

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #2, June 16, 2013 - 1:26:03 PR!

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Tri, June 22, 2013

realrellim - Winter Park Half Marathon, June 29, 2013

realrellim - Run for Independence, July 6, 2013

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon, July 14, 2013

bec - Door County Triathlon - Half Ironman, July 21, 2013 - 7:55 PR!!

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Morning mamas,

So Day 1 of C25k is done but oy, it wasn't pretty.  By the time the timer beeped for the third run interval dd was already limping and gasping.  I tried to keep up some encouraging patter but it wasn't easy.  Especially about 15 minutes or so in when she'd pretty much given up on running during the 60 second run times and instead just kept saying how much she hated it. greensad.gif  I just can't keep up with the level of drama that girl can create when she feels discomfort.  At least I felt good, though I didn't even break a sweat so I don't think I can count it as anything for the day.  Today I'm going to give Zumba a whirl and maybe later some swimming, though that tends to make my hip worse.  Tomorrow we'll go to the track again and I'll try to find the motivating words that help.

dizzy.gif

Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 AM

tjsmama, wishing you calm and quiet nights so you can pack before your trip. I hope that having your XH there isn't too awkward and maybe frees up some time for you for running or swimming or kid-free fun.

Plady, congrats on the eating and C25K plan with your daughter. I hope she is pleased with the results. I keep meaning to mention that my husband will probably be out of town the first part of your trip to my island. If you get rained out at any point, don't hesitate to head to Hotel Mel, since we'll have lots of room and real beds for the adults at least. The offer would stand if he was here, it's just easier to make the beds work with less big people.

JayGee, the garden sounds great. My first zucchini are peeking out but nowhere near eating yet. 

RR- Ran two days in a row! Around 5km each day, yesterday with some hill repeats added in. I'm not great at fueling for early morning runs (my best runs happen after eggs and after school drop-off), but I'm managing to get a bit of juice in and not convince myself to walk the whole middle section. Yesterday was also an amazing swim in the sea- probably about 25 minutes in total of hard swimming, plus a ton of padding around with the kids.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Plady, scale it way back then.  Do 30 seconds of running if 60 seconds is discouraging.  Let her practice finding a gait and pace that fits her.  Part of the early c25k is getting the muscles and lungs into shape, but part of it is helping the runner find the right pace for them and to learn that slower rather than faster gets the job done.  It's taken DD a while to figure out how to run more slowly.  For a good long time she had "fast" and "not" going.  Remember, the beauty of the c25k is that it's supposed to feel relatively easy and comfortable.  Adapt the timing to get it easy and comfortable.

DS was ordered to lie on his bed for an hour starting at 9 am for acting snotty and tired.  It's going to be a long day.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM
bec

I totally agree with Geo (not surprising).  Both on the pace/speed, and on dialing it back to 30 seconds.  You can do that for a week, even 2 before moving up to the 60 seconds (you could put a 45 second run segment in there if you need to spread it out more).  Another idea, if it is the time that is bothering her, is to pick a spot to run to that is roughly 30-60 seconds away.  I have found with Katie, that giving her a landmark to spot on helps keep her motivation up because she can see it coming.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 AM

I like the distance spotting idea.

Another idea - any chance you've got a block or loop somewhere on a hill?  Agree to do the running down the hill (bank on those young knees) and walk the rest of the loop.  Walking up the hill will be a significant cardio and muscle workout without being running.  Part of this is psychological (exercise without being running), but the rest is that it will improve her cardio so that the rest of the c25k is easier. 

DS ate half a loaf of banana bread after his forced rest, and is now playing with blocks.  Plain, basic, blocks (oh, so MDC approved) and it's an "epic, and I mean epic" battle between rockets and aliens, complete with blood, guts, and gore.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM

lurk.gif

I am just not on the program lately. No exercise to report. Le sigh. I'm thinking I wont really get back to it until next week when Im back from GA, but Ill bring stuff for the hotel gym just in case (if history is any guide, it wont get used redface.gif)

But, books to recommend: Yes, I liked "Where Did You Go Bernadette?", but found it a little snarky, even as it was fun. So, a quick, light read. Then I read "This Is Where I Leave You" (Jonathan Tropper). Really good. Also a light quick read (mostly b/c its so fun I couldnt stop), but such a sharp wit, wow. I laughed out loud many times, felt a little wistful. Considering how zingy it is, it also packs real feeling. Definitely recommend. Now Im reading "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" which Im also really enjoying, and next is "Gone Girl"

Leaving tomorrow early for a long day. We get in after lunch, then have to go to the climbing gym for check-in, which is when we'll get the schedule. Climbing days are TH, F, S, Sn, with qualifiers in Th, F; semi-finals on Sat. and Finals Sun. Each day is determined by the previous, so for now, we know she is climbing Th smile.gif Then we leave Sunday night, get back here in time for DD1's bedtime, and wake at 6:30 Monday to take her to music camp 90 minutes away and a day late (it starts on Sunday but we arranged with them for her to come late since she's been several times and doesnt need orientation). Whew. Then a week of nothing, then my MOM COMES yikes2.gif which is always stressful (she just takes up so much psychic space)...

Plady - I still remember the first time I ever ran. I was 14, and trying to get in shape for crew try-outs. I ran 2 miles; 1 out and back from my parents house. I had some crappy sweatpants on and some crummy shoes. I HATED it. I couldnt imagine ever having to do that on a regular basis. I continued to dislike it for awhile. Let her know that it can take time, that running isnt necessarily something that people either love or they dont. And definitely what Geo said; make it comfortable. And what about music? Does she have an ipod? Could she listen while you do it, and you just give her hand signals to start and stop (or landmarks like Bec said)?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Plady - if she has an iPod touch, you can put the C25K app on it and the beeps to switch from walking to running come on over your music. Pretty cool. I also agree with geo and bec that shorter intervals might be the key to helping her stick with it.

sparkle - have fun in Georgia and good luck to your DD!

geo - yay, blocks! We love blocks here, still, and DS is 11.

MelW - I envy your swim in the sea smile.gif.

My sister and nephew left this morning to go back to NH. We had a lot of fun together and she and I actually got along really well. Her son is a little spoiled, but my kids played really well with him in spite of his not wanting to share anything! It's pouring today, so I am just waiting for them to call off tonight's swim meet. Tomorrow, it's back to camp to pick up DD1! I miss her.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 PM

Helen would be totally distracted by the technology. It could be good and distract her from the pain but I imagine it being bad. At Girls on the Run we used markers to tally the runs. For example, the girls would know they had 6 runs to do. When one was completed they got a silly band, or a clothespin, plain rubber bands, or some token item. The idea was the visual/tactile feedback of progress. The result was they had so much fun collecting them clipping them where they didn't belong. It presented a positive without being an actual reward - we would even collect the items after practice so it wasn't something they usually kept. Good luck to you both. Alice was so impressed with herself when she ran a 5k at that age, Helen did a 10K this spring but did a run/walk/skip/hop/jog. She is proud that her brother, a "real runner", wears the shirt she earned.

I am not in a very good mental spot right now and am quite the dongo. greensad.gif Sometimes I do this to myself but this time I do truly feel my triggers are out of my control. The stupid part is I had really cleaned up my diet and figured out some triggers and now... I am ignoring the wisdom I have. No fun.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM
bec

mommajb - I fall into that all the time with eating.  I know the right way to do it, I know I feel better when I eat well, and I know what my triggers are.  But, sometimes that knowledge just isn't enough.  hug2.gif

RR: 2.3 miles with DD2 for her 30 minute run.  I will do another few miles with my C25k buddy in a little bit.  Hoping for 5 for the day.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Subbing. RR: none today. Busy day but thankful for a rest day.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas!  I love the idea of a trinket for each leg.  I'm not sure if I'm organized enough to figure that out but I'll definitely think about how to incorporate some reward chotchki.  I like the spotting landmarks too although I was thinking that it would feel safer to start at the track (which happens to be conveniently located across the street from work).  But she doesn't like the track so maybe tomorrow we'll hit the neighborhood instead.  And Geo, I seriously laughed at the question about hills.  The track is the only flat surface on which to run more than a 1/4 mile.  In fact, 1/4 mile might be a little farther than anything else you can find on the island and be flat.  I'll also adjust the time. And try to remember how hard running is when it's totally new and the reason you're starting in the first place is because you're out of shape and kind of pudgy.  I think that the ipod might be good but maybe not yet.  But I'm usually wrong to start with so maybe I should suggest it and see how it goes.

Today I went to Zumba.  It was kind of lame but I do like the mental exercise of getting the steps right.  I also swam some laps.  Not long, maybe 15 minutes.  But better than not doing it right?  And day 2 of Primal seems to be going well (except for the whipped cream I shot into my mouth because it was in the fridge at work and it's leftover from a party so nobody cares.  Who said something about knowledge not being enough?)

JayGee - Glad the visit went well, I know that's never a given with families.

Sparkle - Have a great time in ATL.

MelW - I'll stash the info for Hotel Mel. :)  Will you show us where you swim in the sea?  I'm just dying to test the temperature.  I went in for a dip on this side of the sea on Saturday and it was so cold my arms immediately began to tingle and then ache as all the blood went off to rescue my core temperature.

Geo - You are just so wise and intuitive with these kid questions!  If you ever get bored with your current line of work I think you really could do well with Dr. P's Parenting Panacea radio call in show.   

Mommajb - hug2.gif Maybe you need some sushi buffet.

Off to watch a movie with dh.  After 3 months of dreading having to admit that I might have lost a netflix dvd I finally found out that they don't seem to care and sent us our next movie pronto.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 PM
bec

RR: between dd and my other friend, I got almost 6 miles in today. So, I'm feeling good about that. Tomorrow morning is a crazy early ride, and, maybe a swim in the evening. I am having more houseguests, so that might not happen. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM

Plady--sorry about the running dramafest. My oldest does that too, often with a sidedish of panic for good measure.

MelW--yay for a great swim.

sparkle--have a great trip!

mommajb-- goodvibes.gif. It's much easier to ignore wisdom than follow it.

bec--have a nice ride!

tjsmama--hope you got it all done and are having a relatively peaceful nightshift. Good luck tomorrow and I hope you have a blast there!

RR: swimming at the hot springs this morning with the girls, short run after lunch, back to the hot springs, walked into town and back for dinner, and then biked 12 miles. Ideally, it would have been a trail run after lunch and at least 20-25 after dinner, but best-laid plans and all that. It was a nice, fun ride along the Yampa River Trail at least.

Saturday's half-mary went reasonably well. It was more challenging than in its previous incarnation (higher altitude, steeper and longer climbs...Winter Park, go figure!), but with about 2400 feet of elevation gain, I managed a 2:06:48 finish. That put me fourth in my age group (30-39) in pure numbers, but third because our AG winner was also the first female finisher which somehow pulls her out of the AG rankings (don't ask; I've never understood but it's how I ended up with a 2nd place AG award two years ago even though I was the fourth finisher in our AG--and yes, that time two of the top three finishers were also the top females overall). I've been fourth in our AG all three years I've run it, so this year's slower finish speaks to the terrain more than my fitness. (Next year I'll double the amount of hill training and trail runs. Also, I'll be in a new AG, which may help. Though one of the top three females was 40-something so maybe not.) I may write up a RR for the blog, but we'll see.

NRR: in-laws arrived bright and early on Monday, as per usual. We headed out to Steamboat Springs (yay!) which means a hotel for two nights (double yay!) and no listening to them talk about how much longer they're staying up until they go to bed. Tomorrow we head back to the trailer. Did I mention that raccoons moved in under the trailer? And that they're LOUD? We heard that tennis balls soaked in ammonia might chase them out. There are now 6 located strategically under the trailer and we're hoping the raccoons will have found more promising living quarters, like say, the abandoned trailer across the street. I really hope they're gone because they were under our bedroom before we left, sounding like they were going to claw through the floor. We suspect they've also torn holes in the heating ducts (grrr) and we know they've torn down a bunch of insulation under the floor. As best we can tell, their only entry is under the porch step, but we're going to have to tear that apart to get at it.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 AM
bec

Real - What an awesome time!  And congrats on the age group medal!  I can only dream and live vicariously through my dingos!

Gaye - Have a fabulous time!

Plady -  There might be a reason whipped cream in a can is not allowed here!bigeyes.gif

RR: 26.5 miles on the bike.  It was very chilly this morning!  Barely 60 degrees.  On July 3.  There has to be a middle ground between last summer and this! 

Also, Map My Whatever sent me a mid-year report.  I don't do most of my runs with the ap, but have been good about getting most of my biking in there.  According to the report, I've gone over 2100 miles this year so far!  I had no idea it was that far!  And while my runs will slow down after the half ironman, I will still be biking towards a century ride!  So, I'm guessing at least another 1000 miles!  I'm pretty proud of that! 

Old 07-03-2013, 06:17 AM

Well, I guess I can thank Obama and his delay of the health care implementation for getting my RP back.  She'd already billed more in the first 6 months of the year than she did in all of last year.  (She's a benefits plan lawyer, which is evidently a rare breed, so she was doing all the school districts and several large companies in the state)

Ran a "fast" 4 last night.  It felt good. 

Plady, I know you are surrounded by hills, but I wasn't sure if you had any short loops where you could orchestrate a downhill run and uphill walk.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 AM

Will someone please tell me why I allow myself to get sucked into debated on meaningful issues with stupid people on FB? shake.gif  I was specifically asked to comment on something, so I did, despite my better judgement because it is a controversial topic. What I don't understand is how dumb people are...not because a person disagrees with me, but rather because a person resorts to name calling and the equivalent of a toddler THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT style tantrum because s/he is unable to discuss the issue on its points of merit.

Gah.

Anyway. On the up side, yesterday at the farmer's market where I pick up my CSA share, the vegan/gluten free baker lady was back. She's not there every week (which is probably a good thing for my wallet) but when she is...hoo boy. I got a coconut creme filled chocolate covered whoopie pie type thing, and a mocha crunch cakelet. yummy.gif

I think I'm going to have to cave and see a doc and maybe a physical therapist about the pain in my butt. Which is an actual pain this time, not the aggravating antics of my dh. lol.gif It's been going on a really long time and I keep ignoring it, but the other day during my long drive my whole leg was aching. I think it's a form of sciatica or something...gah. Still, I'm planning to train for a Sep. 29th marathon which is very small and close by and I can probably get away with not registering until the end of summer, so I won't waste $$ if it isn't going well. Other good thing about it is it's 1.5 hrs away in Keene, NH, and they don't make you come get your packet the day before, so I can keep costs down and just go that morning with a friend from here who also wants to run it.

RR: 7 yesterday with my running group, 6 this morning on my own. The bugs are driving me bananas. They go up my nose, in my eyes, blech. The humidity, man....yucky.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management
User Tag List