Talk to me about continuing an established exercise routine during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Cross-posted in pregnancy)

I wanted to ask other woman about their experience staying physically active during pregnancy, especially if you’re continuing activity that you were doing before getting pregnant.

Some background: DH and I are working on making a baby—his first, my second. We just started trying this month, but last time it didn’t take me long, lol. I had a really easy first pregnancy, and I was fairly active in terms of walking and yoga and such, but at that time I was in my mid-20s and didn’t have a set exercise routine. I just turned 34, and in the last three years I’ve gotten to love working out. First I did different exercise videos, and then I got into pilates, and in the last few months I’ve been doing this intense crossfit class about four times per week, and loving it (it’s offered for free at my work – best job perk ever). I also just started doing pole dancing and aerial hoop classes, which are insanely fun. Plus we live pretty central and walk/bike all the time. I certainly don’t have a perfect bikini body, but in the last year I’ve built up more strength than I’ve ever had before in my core, arms, legs, and chest, and my endurance is better than it’s ever been. I love feeling strong and healthy, and I love the feeling of exercise. I really want to try to maintain as much of that as possibly during the pregnancy.

I’ve been online doing a bunch of research, and read some medical journals and such. It seems like in general, the prevailing wisdom is that you can keep on doing the activities that you were doing before pregnancy, so long as you listen to your body and don’t push the intensity too much. And in general, it seems like your body naturally starts slowing down. I’ve also read that prohibitions against getting your heart rate up too high are no longer considered evidence-based, but many doctors recommend keeping your intensity below a 5 – 7 on a 10 point scale. And I’ve read that you should watch out that you don’t get too overheated, and also be aware of the effects of the hormone relaxin.

So I guess in general, these are my questions:

1. What was your exercise routine before pregnancy?
  2. How did you continue that during pregnancy?
  3. What modifications did you have to make as the pregnancy progressed?
  4. Overall, how did you feel about exercise during pregnancy?

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 PM

1) I worked out 5 days a week (a mix of yoga, circuit work, resistance, weights - I had a personal trainer)

2) I didn't :( By week 5 Hyperemesis kicked in

3) See above

4) I wish my pregnancy had been different and had allowed for exercise. My personal trainer told me before hand we would be able to continue basically everything, with modification as my belly grew. 

If I were to have a pregnancy without Hyperemesis, I'd rely on a personal trainer like the one I had (one with experience as a pregnant woman and working with pregnant women) to help guide me. 

Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM

1. I was running 30-40 miles a week, weights 2-3 times and occasional yoga. I was three weeks into a marathon training plan when I found out I was pregnant.
2/3. i slowed down a lot the first few months I was exhausted, I was working long hours that sapped any energy I had left. I slowed down at work and started jogging 4 times a week, about 2 miles no faster than 6 mph. I also started walking more too. And I youtubed a few yoga workouts.
4. I felt much better! I stopped running at 33 weeks, and immediately felt extremely pregnant and exhausted again. In the end, I think my labor was easier and recovery was easy. I was up and walking quick and started running after about 6 weeks. With BFing, I was fitting in my normal clothes and at my pp weight at 4ish months.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM

I had ambitions to be really active but I wasn't. I had severe morning sickness but managed to run a bit until week 14 and then I got, hmm, not sure what it is called in English, pelvic pain I guess. It was so severe that I went to a PT and she told me I couldn't even walk up stairs.

So I swam a couple of times a week and walked our dog 1-2 times a day and that kept
me fit enough to rock my natural birth. It took me quite a while to get back into shape afterwards too, which was depressing, but now I'm in the best shape since high school I think. I'm also TTC and hope maybe I can stay more active this time around but I am not getting my hopes up bc I know there's a good
chance my pelvis won't cooperate again.

Pretty darn crunchy mama to Kiddo (2yo, DD), wife to Hubby, SAHM/aspiring writer/amateur sewist/lover of reading, traveling, music, natural parenting, unschooling, dogs, nature and more. Working on mindfulness and living in the present. Settled in Norway.

We familybed1.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFnamaste.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gifhomeschool.gifand goorganic.jpg...

Tags
Fitness
User Tag List