8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 10.0 (enrolling through July 24, starts July 22, ends Sept. 9) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
214.5. Didn't play well in our game yesterday. I need to drop some weigh and work on getting back in shape. There's a Labor Day weekend tournament I'd like to play in, so an incentive to take care of myself.

Hockey clinic tonight
Tues-walking
Wed- rest
Thurs-walking
Fri- morning skate and evening game
Sat- rest
Sun- hopefully hockey class

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#62 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a great idea Cookiepie! Most of the times that I make an unhealthy choice are when I'm hungry and don't know what to eat! I have a bag of raw nuts in the cupboard now so when I go mindlessly to snack on something I take a couple and I'm good for a while. But love your ideas!

TwilightJoy, I feel the same way about wanting to feel "full". Something that I've learned is that sugar messes with our signal that tells us we're full. Since I've mostly cut out sugar I've found that my full switch is triggered much sooner now. A plate of food that I'd have happily eaten previously is very difficult for me to finish now. My challenge now is to listen to my body and stop when I feel full instead of trying to clear my plate mindlessly.

And about beating the laziness...sometimes I give in but mostly I just get up and do it. Motivation comes and goes, so I just get up, put my shoes on and go without giving myself time to make excuses. Once out, I promise myself that I'll exercise for 20 mins but usually find that I'm enjoying myself once out and I keep going.

Lucky mom to two 

DD 2010 energy.gif

DS 2012   slingboy.gif

#63 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post

That's 2.7 down!

I'm happy with my method so far. It feels easier and less consuming of my brain, and less interfering with my life than other methods I've tried (counting calories, weight watchers, paleo, raw food, etc.)
I've been replacing one meal a day with a savory green smoothie. (not the fruit kind)  Usually lunch.  I've also started not snacking after dinner.  Late night junking out is my vice....especially if I'm stressed about anything.  I've heard that weightloss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, so I've decided to focus on the food and just do low key walks when I feel like it.
My meals are some combination of whole grains, veggies, beans, and meat.  Something delicious, and until I feel satisfied.  I don't like breakfast foods, so my breakfasts look like my dinner.   Beverages are just lots water or coffee/tea.

...and a dessert on the weekend.

CookiePie, I loved reading your method.  Great idea!  I think making things really easy for yourself, when you're hungry is a great way to go. 

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else is doing.

I love green smoothies.  This seems like a terrific idea and you get a lot of nutrition to boot. 

I don't know that I really have a method.  I have tried Weight Watchers and calorie counting and both have worked really well for me, but I get very, very tired of keeping track.  I mean, EVERY calorie?!?  Good grief, that gets old. 

What I am trying is a simple plan -- oatmeal for breakfast, and a big salad plus protein for lunch and dinner.  My salads are huge, lots of veggies, lots of variety.  I add a small scoop of some kind of grain and a small scoop of beans or chicken or fish.  I add a fat, either avacado or olive oil, but not both.  I love nuts and would add them, but I have a terrible time with portion control and nuts. 

And I have a hot cup of tea after my meals.  Something about the warmth signals my brain the the meal is done.  I just had lunch and while I could have kept on eating, I stopped, had some tea and now I feel good.  I am not full and normally I would go grab a handful of cookies (why do I have those in the house?), but I feel fine. 

For me, I think I simply need to learn to be satisfied with 'just enough' food and not go overboard.  Yes, I want to eat more, but those extra 10 bites of food that I eat with every meal are the ones that make me fat.  It is hard, but this is something I really to learn. 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#64 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM

150 still. Easy to put on. Darn near impossible to take off apparently. Only got 2 workouts in last week.  

Going on a cruise Aug 4-11.  I've heard horror stories about gaining tons from have access to yummy food all the time.  I have a 5k scheduled for Aug 17th so I'm hoping that if I stick to my training while I'm gone, I won't gain while on the cruise. Fingers crossed!

Congrats to all the ladies posting losses.  Encouraging vibes to all the other hard workers out there! Our loss will come!! 

Mama to Dante (1/08) and Paul (7/10).twins.gif Wife to Allan.asl.gif

Missing Heaven Dec.9, 2011angel1.gif

"The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy!" Psalm 126:3

#65 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry guys... still at 152.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#66 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

TwilightJoy I found that if you have a scheduled work-out, it's easier to just get up and go. For example, I go as soon as DS is down for his first nap. I don't even ask myself the question, I just do it. But I have the luxury to have DH at home.

I don't know if you own a jogger stroller but it's very useful! Not only to jog with your little one but for brisk walks.

I'm all for planned meals too!! For some reasons the usual ready to go foods are often fattening and plain unhealthy. If you let yourself get too hungry, you have more chances to settle for fast food.

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#67 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM

180.7 here . . .0.3 lbs of a drop if that even counts ROTFLMAO.gif

Good job ladies! :)

Cecillia | 22 | Love Jesus | Happily Married | WTT #2: 2015

Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Gentle Parenting crunchy momma to an unvaxxed intact sweet boy.

novaxnocirc.gif goorganic.jpg

#68 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 PM

207 here! Was pleased to see a lower number.
#69 of 201 Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Same old 167.5 here.  I think I was down a little, but AF has arrived and I always carry a bit of water or something.

I shopped on the weekend and brought so much fruit and veg that I couldn't fit it all in my crisper.

I always have weetbix and soy milk for breakfast, that never changes, but I'm trying to do salad for lunch every day.  I made a little pearl couscous to mix through the salad too.

Dinner is mostly veg too (I'm vegan) but I'm trying to get into the habit of cooking with less (or no oil) for example, to try and healthy things up a little. 

The exercise is mostly walking, but I did learn the first challenge that it's mainly what I put in my mouth that changes my weight.  So that's my primary focus. 

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16**20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#70 of 201 Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post

I hope I'm not too late to join. I'm 5'6" and weighed 145.4 this morning. I'm hoping that having to keep track will help me stay on track.

145.2 Monday morning
#71 of 201 Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Well, so far so good ladies!  I like the ideas that were shared to "fake it until you make it!" Food and exercise go hand in hand. So far Team Red is a head with a team loss of 3.5% with Team Blue not far behind at 2.94%. Every little bit helps!

TwilightJoy likes this.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#72 of 201 Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Go team red!  

Yesterday was a total win -- I followed my plan -- oatmeal for breakfast, salad and protein for lunch and dinner.  I also had a couple of cups of tea with a splash of milk and an apple for a snack.   I even got in a quick 2 milk walk after dinner.  Terrific day. 

Today,  I had my normal oatmeal breakfast and have all ready prepped a nice kale salad for lunch.  I bought so many veggies during yesterday's grocery trip, that I can barely get anything in or out of my fridge.  Vegetable stir fry with tofu for dinner.  That should make a small dent in the vegetables. 

Oh and I had to buy a new scale.  My little one pulled the old one apart and damaged the electronics.  I hope the new one will be here in time for next Monday's weigh-in.

#73 of 201 Old 07-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April80 View Post

What a great idea Cookiepie! Most of the times that I make an unhealthy choice are when I'm hungry and don't know what to eat! I have a bag of raw nuts in the cupboard now so when I go mindlessly to snack on something I take a couple and I'm good for a while. But love your ideas!

TwilightJoy, I feel the same way about wanting to feel "full". Something that I've learned is that sugar messes with our signal that tells us we're full. Since I've mostly cut out sugar I've found that my full switch is triggered much sooner now. A plate of food that I'd have happily eaten previously is very difficult for me to finish now. My challenge now is to listen to my body and stop when I feel full instead of trying to clear my plate mindlessly.

And about beating the laziness...sometimes I give in but mostly I just get up and do it. Motivation comes and goes, so I just get up, put my shoes on and go without giving myself time to make excuses. Once out, I promise myself that I'll exercise for 20 mins but usually find that I'm enjoying myself once out and I keep going.

April, I always have a baggie of almonds and usually an apple in my bag, so if I'm out and about I always have something.  I also carry a big water bottle with me at all times!    I'm starting to portion out more foods since I've found this method to be so helpful to me.  Carrots, berries, hummus, you name if it is washed chopped an portioned I'll eat it, it is usually laziness that keeps me from eating what I should.  Its easier to grab a handful of crackers/cookies than wash peel and chop veggies... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

CookiePie, I love your strategy.  I am going to exactly this.   I eat a lot like you do (with a few handfuls of cookies thrown in there), but I think my lack of discipline is just a matter of poor planning.

Another sleepless night here.  What is it about toddlers and their restless nights?  Gah!!!!   I took my sweet boy to the pool yesterday for an afternoon of exercise.   If I ran around as much as he does, I would sleep like the dead.   Not so in toddler world.  

Anyway, 189 this morning.  Faking it seems to be working.

Ruthie, I can't tell you just how much the ahead prepping has contributed to my success with weight loss!  You will never be sorry for doing it!!!!

I’m so glad that some of you liked my suggestions!  I know for myself planning ahead, shopping prepping and scheduling my workouts are the most important things that I do.  I really love eating clean and have followed Tosca Reno’s book series on Clean Eating for a few years, except when I've fallen off the wagon.  The newer version “The Eat Clean Diet Recharged”, I like best because includes more of the new research which recommends things like coconut oil, which us MDC Mamas just love.  If eating clean is of interest to any of you, you can likely check it out from your library, or get an interlibrary loan, it’s a quick read and really breaks it down.     

April80 likes this.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#74 of 201 Old 07-30-2013, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So, I've remembered that I often can do great on a health kick for a solid week and then motivation starts to dwindle.  (yep, that fast.)  ;)   ...especially right after a weigh in.   ...especially if I'm home a lot, tired, and mildly anxious about something....and having too much caffeine.  Reading through this thread is a bit helpful though!

April80: thanks for reminding me about the sugar thing and appetite.  I think that is true for me too.  Also caffeine....but it's so hard to not have that when I'm tired from a little person messing with my sleep.

#75 of 201 Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM

I weighed in at 203.6 on Monday, a 1.2lb loss. Sorry I didnt wrote it until today!!

Loving all the suggestions!

I'm having a down day and already ate some high calorie comfort foods. I'll go take a long walk to try to balance it out though.

Happily married to my best friend, and nature loving mama treehugger.gif of one sweet boy (Feb 2011). femalesling.GIF

#76 of 201 Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Meg, thanks for checking in.

Now that I have updated her weight, it looks like the blue team has gotten the extra boost they needed to have a team loss of 3.52% while the red team has a team loss of 3.50% Ladies keep up the good work.  What exercise or eating changes have you made this week or continued this week?

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#77 of 201 Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 AM

Congrats Blue team, that was so close!

What exercise or eating changes have you made this week or continued this week?

I've been focusing on weight training daily with one rest day, then doing 30 minutes of cardio 4-5  times a week.  

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#78 of 201 Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Another good day yesterday.  Oatmeal for breakfast, leftover veggie and tofu stir fry with a scoop of brown rice and a big salad with turkey meatballs and a few noodles for dinner.  I was crazy hungry in the afternoon and had half of a pb and j while making snacks for my kids.  Half was a good amount and certainly smaller than my normal portion size. 

We went for a short hike yesterday morning and then for another walk after dinner --- maybe a total of 3 miles?  I would love to do more but I am solo parenting at the moment, so taking more time for myself is not really an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

Congrats Blue team, that was so close!

What exercise or eating changes have you made this week or continued this week?

I've been focusing on weight training daily with one rest day, then doing 30 minutes of cardio 4-5  times a week.  

CookiePie -- weight training sounds fabulous.  Do you go to a gym?  I think I might join a gym this Fall when the older kids go to school.  There is a nice one near my house with childcare. 

I am focused on lots of vegetables, small portions of rice and protein and as much walking as I can get.  And getting my toddler to sleep longer than 90 minutes at a time.  Crazy boy. 

#79 of 201 Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Ruthie, I'm doing everything at home.  I'm following Jaime Eason's' 12 week  LiveFit trainer.  I'm on week 8.  It's a free program on bodybuilding.com I've been able to adapt all the exercises with what I have at home.  I don't use the whey powder that they sugges,t instead I use hemp protein (Nutiva).  The rest of the diet is whole foods and clean.  For working out at home, we have been fortunate enough to accumulate hand me down's from family, freecycle and craigslist.  DH had a bench and weights from when he was a kid, we got an elliptical and treadmill for free from family a few years ago.  We got a total gym from freecycle several years ago.  DH got an ab circle pro for his b-day a couple years ago and we bought a bowflex from craigslist for $100 recently.  I have a yoga mat from my yoga days and a stability ball from when I had to do physical therapy for my back.  I have bought a couple dumb bells and will likely need to get more as I get stronger.  If you are interested in weight training at home don't be discouraged if you don't have all the gear that I have.  There is lots you can do with dumb bells, & a stability ball.  It is truly amazing how much stronger I've become.  I really love weight training, cardio isn't as fun for me but it's grown on me.  My arms and shoulders have shown the most visual improvements.  LMK if I can help you in any way :)    

#80 of 201 Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Stability balls are amazing for what they can do to strengthen your core muscles. I used one when I was going through physical therapy for my back as well and then just kept doing most of the exercises so I wouldn't have those back pains ever again.  I know when I slack off, because my back starts to hurt again. Definitely worth it.

#81 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 03:38 AM

144....so I'm the same.  I'm doing everything right, so I'm not going to fret.  The program I'm doing is very weight training intense,  I am lifting heavy weights 6 days a week and my body is shrinking and changing even though the scale isn't showing much progress I can see it in how loose my clothes are getting on me & the definition I'm getting in my upper body!  So I have a lot to celebrate, regardless of the scale reading!       

NSV's for the week: 

1 I did all of my planned workouts

2  I improved my distance/speed on elliptical

3 I improved my water intake 

4 I prepped my food

5 I rode my bike to the Farmers Market

#82 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Glad it's only a .2 gain! I didn't do any exercise due to sickness and indulge this week-end because of my b-day. I don't know if I'll start running again this week, but I'm going to get back on my bike and get some walks in.

edit : That being said, I just came back from a run ahah, ran faster than usual, I guess I needed it!! Mama's back y'all!!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#83 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
66.9kg (147.5lb)

So if seems like that weight gain last week was mostly hormonal fluid retention. It was all but gone by the middle of the week. Yay!

My diet was better too. Less snacking and less chocolate.

Exercise needs work. It's not something I enjoy at all so I find it very hard to do anything consistently.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#84 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 AM

134.6. Went up a little whistling.gif Geared up and ready to work harder this week.

#85 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 AM

207 again...and there's a homemade peach pie sitting in my kitchen. I'll just have to work out a bit harder this week.
#86 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 AM

151  down a lb, but this keeps happening... bouncing up and down

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#87 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 AM

My new scale has yet to arrive.  Amazon says it will be here today, so maybe I can still get a weight posted this afternoon.  If not, I'll be back tomorrow with this week's results. 

#88 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM

159.4  Only .4 down, but maintaining is better than gaining.  This past week was terrible.  My exercise was severely limited by sleep deprivation, an uncooperative babe, and lousy diet habits.

Hoping for a better week this week.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#89 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

159.4  Only .4 down, but maintaining is better than gaining.  This past week was terrible.  My exercise was severely limited by sleep deprivation, an uncooperative babe, and lousy diet habits.

Hoping for a better week this week.

But you lost almost a half pound! That's 2 sticks of butter! Great job!

#90 of 201 Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM

143.4  this morning.... a 3 pound loss, I am so happy!!!
April80 likes this.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page