Running back to school with the Dingos: August 2013 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 317 Old 08-30-2013, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Real is right about the randomness of sizing. :nod Frightful.

sparkle, you make me laugh. I read Wild last week and thought of you. Not during those parts! It was OK, but not quite my book, iykwim. My sister had the exact same thing happen to her boobs. If I had her body fat % I would probably have the same thing, only my pocket would be bigger.

Mom will be at my sister's today. :2whistle

Also, I am pushing to keep our return date the same, since kids are sounding really ready and I do not really feel like cobbling together winter things. Sept 30 is already chilly. Paris is on, don't know wtf I will be doing in Morocco, do not so much really care anymore. If you all heard ds yesterday, you would think he likes it in Abu Dhabi sometimes (ah, the switch is happening).

There will be no RR today either.

#302 of 317 Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

kerc & geo--R's teacher assigned her to the advanced math group today but everyone else in it was boys and a couple gave her a hard time and told her she couldn't be part of it. That issue will get resolved, but in the meantime we told her about other women who were really, really good at math, two of whom will be coming to Denver this fall. orngbiggrin.gif That got us started on the diamond planet. Maybe we'll work it out so she can meet both of you, bring in an article about the diamond planet theory, and show those boys she knows famous scientists, who happen to be female and rock at math. shy.gif

ahem. one of us is awesome at math and understands diamonds and such. 

The other one, notsomuch.

I can understand about 50% of what Geofizz says to the geology public.

But I'm good at teaching rocks for jocks.

On the other hand. WTF boys?!  Hello. Where do you get this stuff?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#303 of 317 Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM

....and kerc sells herself short.

I beg of you, please alert the teacher to the attitudes amongst the boys.  You've dealt with this situation and instance at home, but these boys need to learn that this behavior is inappropriate.  Any teacher ought to be able to see how subversive such comments can be.

For R, a page of my lecture notes today.  Believe it or not, yes, that's math. 

ETA:  Middle school meet the teacher night was last night.  I ended up in the room with the social studies teacher with no other parents, introduced myself, and gave a little explanation of how the first week went for DD without any accusation or whatnot, just what things were from DD's perspective. I just emphasized that it looks like DD will need to be making the choice between instruction and being a 6th grader.  Plus when the first three periods of the day are with 7th graders, the message that they know it all now and there's no room for error in the first week was fully absorbed by DD.  I could see him figure out how amazingly horrible her week must have been, including his comments to DD.  I think I won a genuine ally there.  But dude.  Less time in the tanning bed.

My opinion of the math teacher hasn't changed.

#304 of 317 Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 AM

Ack, Geo! My brain hurts just looking at those notes!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#305 of 317 Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM

ack me too!

But then I got over that panic and saw in the box:

q (heat flow I think) is equal to a k (some kind of constant) times the change (tri symbol) in temperature.

and then I was like oh, right . I can do this. I just wish I/we could figure out how to attack it without the panic. Old habits die hard, clearly.

#306 of 317 Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

rm~I got a groupon last September. It was $99 for one small area, but then they offered to add two more areas for the same $99 each. So, I started with the chin, then added lip and bikini. Sparkle is right, it needs to be the right kind of hair, so if the hair is blonde, it won't work. The coarser and darker it is, the better! The girl I see actually switched me to a different laser that she thought would work better for my hair. Overall, I'm really happy. There are still the weird, coarse, pigment-less hairs on my chin that I have to pluck, but for the most part, everything else is gone. And I LOVE the bikini area. I get really irritated there by both shaving and waxing, so laser has been amazing. Just part of my renaissance of me (laser hair removal plus invisalign = ready for the dating game? orngtongue.gif).

lofty~The concert was Sara Bareilles and One Republic. It was a good show! And really, I just stillheart.gif Red Rocks, so almost any show would be a good one. smile.gif

real~I keep forgetting that you're available! Although, really, I'm having such good runs without a running partner that maybe I should just keep it solo for the duration. bag.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Ack, Geo! My brain hurts just looking at those notes!
yeahthat.gif

DS is driving me absolutely batty. Not to mention that he has apparently lost his iphone (and by iphone, I mean my old one that I gave to him to use as essentially an ipod touch). irked.gif He has no idea where it is. Grrr. The last time I saw it, it was packed in his travel backpack to go to Florida. Nearly two months ago. On the bright side, we traded in his skis and boots today, so we're ready for snow...

rr~Another good long run today! Seriously, what has gotten into me? And fast! (relatively speaking, of course) I don't know if it's the weight I lost over the winter, or getting more sleep, or what, but I'm consistently a minute and a half to two minutes faster on my long runs than I was last year. Weird. I was really worried about today's, since I didn't have a running partner, and I was going to have to go after dropping DS at school and it was supposed to be blazing hot. Fortunately, it was kind of overcast and stayed that way almost the entire run. I did kind of hit the wall around 10, but I sent out a text asking for a pep talk, and next thing you knew, I had a very nice text in reply filled with shameless flattery that made me smile and zip through my last two miles. redface.gif Seriously, my last mile was sub-10 pace. Mile 14, sub-10 pace? WTH. I don't know, but I'm not going to complain about it!

And now, time to feed DS and get ready for this evening's date...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#307 of 317 Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 PM

Have a great time tonight, Gaye!!

More later...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#308 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 10:30 AM

Hi mamas!

Gaye, hope you have a great time on your date!

Geo, you seriously rock. Wow. At one point in my distant graduate school past, I had a semester or two where I could read complex statistical equations and actually understand what the heck they meant. That point in time, alas, has long since faded into fond memory. When I read the latest Journal of American Political Science, I have to skip a lot of the articles bag.gif now because I just can't figure out what they're saying in Mathish. (Some of them are written by my friends! ack.)

Plady, I can relate to the sugar thing. When I want it, I have a hard time shutting down. Having a punitive thing happen when I overindulge makes the dynamic so much worse (it was my mom when I was young...now dh :( in their utter contempt for my lack of willpower).

Sparkle...breathe, mama. I'm sorry you're having a rough time and not knowing which way to go, decision wise. I am so there also. You are an incredibly smart and amazing person, wherever your career ends up. I know that's not so helpful but it's nevertheless true. I am not one to be giving advice to anyone at this point though.

JayGee, do you love the library work? It sounds like you do. I've always kind of thought that maybe someday I'd like to go back to school for an MLS and work in a library...

Jo, happy travels. I hope the schedule works out to everyone's satisfaction and needs. 

Sorry if I missed personals.

Things are tough here right now as some of you know who've been reading the yahoo group. Not getting better on that front, at least not yet. And now the new school year.

Just having received the "Third Grade Letter" from ds' teacher, I'm really sad. It's the same basic "let's train the animals to do what we want by using jars of beans, stickers, punishments if necessary, and lots of tests and quizzes." It's so behaviorist oriented, so representative of the 'industrial model' where inputs travel along on the conveyor belt, do what they're told at the ringing of bells, and give the proper outputs or are isolated/discarded. Unutterably sad, in my opinion. I suppose it's always like this in this school and the teacher is merely articulating what everyone else's approach is. I feel it more acutely with ds because he is SUCH an out of the box learner and thinker, and it is SO clear that this system just squelches his joy of learning in so many ways. Finished your assignment? Mastered the material? Want something more interesting to do/learn? Nah -- more worksheets, anyone? Montessori was the absolute best fit for him and where we are, I simply can't afford it. No charter schools here, and the public school is merely more of the same, in a prettier building with a better playground.

And you know what? Maybe I am guilty of the same thing. I teach in a traditional high school, I test my students (esp. my AP students) a LOT -- have to generate those grades, dontcha know, or the parents complain. I try very hard to work within the boundaries I have creatively but let's face it...I have 42 minute periods to work with and AP scores to make sure are good because the next station for the train is a Good College. So I am guilty of perpetuating the very system I honestly detest. I find the subject matter intellectually interesting, and I love my students and the possibility of helping them become real thinkers and learners. But the paradigm I have to work with itself limits the actual possibilities of how they might think in the first place. Does that make sense?

And to take the idea even further, I feel totally stuck. I can't quit my job (obvious reasons) and I don't have much in the way of alternatives for my kids; even if I was home full time, dh has declared me "incapable' of homeschooling  :angry so even if I was to make that a "hill worth dying on" as far as my marriage, it would be a legal fight. Glargh. 

Ok, sorry for the whiny vent. I just feel so sick to my stomach when I read this Third Grade Letter, and the teacher is a perfectly pleasant woman (at least I think so...but I defintely do not get a warm and fuzzy and "I'm willing to explore new ideas" vibe with her).

RR: Nothing since Thursday. Hopefully tomorrow.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#309 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 11:44 AM

I posted the math for Real's R, not to show off or anything, Ok, and for kerc, who seems to think she can't do this stuff, but note that she accurately reasoned through it.

Nic, you seem to be working the system from within. Tests are one way to assess material, from which you used the information for a wildly successful class of AP students. I also get the impression you are asking your students to think. Inspiring teachers lead to life-long learners. I really think the format matters less than eduexperts seem to think.

Hot hot hot.
#310 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 05:15 PM

:HugNic. I have been navigating my way through similar feelings with regard to my kids and what we are doing. I use the online school for my kids as a tool--a pre-built, basic, somewhat flexible curriculum with extras that happen to include instructors who can cover coursework I'm not qualified to handle (French, chem, pretty soon maybe math)--but not a social circle. And certainly not the only means to teach, encourage their learning, or evaluate them. But the same goes for the HSers. We do some fun stuff together, but I would not evaluate my kids based on any other HSer's criteria. And a lot of their approaches would not fly in this house, ever. I'm too high-strung, frankly. I feel like I am walking some kind of fence where I don't want my kids to come out in a cookie-cutter shape, but I want them to be able to pull what they want/need from the system. Of course I expect them to be an integral part of the community--but not on just the community's terms.

Gaye: date?

RR: Tomorrow morning, I am going out. Today, sometime in the afternoon, I think I decided I'm better. So, tomorrow I will head out and see how far my feet can take me.

NRR: So, getting off bcps. Wow. This is going to be a wild ride. 6-pound weight fluctuation this week, followed by sore (are those swollen?) boobs. Nothing good to say yet.

#311 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM

RR: this is my friend (I'm on the left) who is running the marathon with me. We were thrilled to have finished 20 miles!! 85 degrees by the end. She is more sensitive to the heat AND was on super heavy flow day. At mile 18 we pit stopped at gas station and she was really hurting from the heat so we thought it best for her to call for a ride (we had run from her house). After being in the a/c and drinking lots of water, she was renewed and finished so strong!! So stinking proud of her. Neither of us needed a nap either which just seems odd. I was up at 5:15am too!! Just hope I can wake up early for work tomorrow. Eek!!

NRR: celebrated ds3's bday today and they had a blast. FIL's brain test shows moderate to severe brain damage, and dh is really upset (understandably). I wish there were something I could say to comfort him.
#312 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM

We did the candy shop ride today. Very fun. There's a candy shop 14.5 miles from my house. Dd1 rode her bike there. I rode my commuter bike with dd2 on the tag along. It was harder for me than dd1. 50 lbs on a Tagalog is a lot. Ready for a tandem bike.

Everyone is happy, but tired.
More tomorrow.

#313 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 08:25 PM

RM - so sorry to hear the results of your FIL's tests. WIll pray for you and your husband.

Nic - I am so where you are with school. The school where we are now has sucked every iota of interest out of my very bright, interested, loves-to-learn DS. But where to go from here? No clue.

RR - no actual exercise, but the family drove out to the Meramec River west of St. Louis, rented a raft and floated for 4 hours! Lots of time in the water and overall, a fantastic way to spend a 100 degree Saturday orngbiggrin.gif.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#314 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

rm~So sorry to hear about your FIL's test results. Sending thoughts of comfort for your DH and the whole family. And way to go on your long run!

nic~hug.gif Wish I had more, but seriously... hug.gifhug.gifhug.gif

rr~Had such a fun time today. One of my friends has recently started doing tris...her DH is doing IM Wisconsin next week and she was originally supposed to do it with him, but has deferred because she realized there was no way she could hit the swim cutoff. She posted on FB the other day about looking for somewhere to go practice open water swimming, so I offered to take her out to a local res (the same one I did my races at a couple of weeks ago) and work with her a little. It turned into a group trip with me, friend, friend's DH, and another friend who does tris and wanted to explore a new OWS spot. We brought DS, since this is the same friend who is teaching him to ride his bike, so he played on the beach while we swam, and then got a lesson on his bike with my friend while the other three of us got a quick run in. It was actually really fun. We did three loops of the course, which the buoys appeared to have moved farther out, so I really don't know how far it was, but I'm guessing around a mile. First two loops, the three girls stuck together with myself and the other friend coaching newbie friend along. By the third loop, she was starting to get it, so we all just kind of did our own thing. I felt pretty great the whole time. It's really weird, but I might actually be starting to like this swimming thing. Weird. I'm pretty sure it's swimming outdoors that I'm liking, but we'll see I guess when I have to start swimming indoors again. My run after the swim was supposed to just be an easy leg shake-out after yesterday's long run...however, my running partners are way faster than me, so I ended up hauling to try to keep up with them for a mile before bagging it and turning around to go back. I'm not entirely sure it was the best idea ever, but it probably wasn't the worst, either.

DS's bike lesson went awesome, and he was riding around the parking lot with the hugest grin on his face. love.gif

dr~Ok, it was another good date. redface.gif It's so weird, when I'm with him, I really, really like him. It's later that I start freaking out. It would probably help if we could manage to see each other more often than once every week to ten days. rolleyes.gif Anyways...it was fun. smile.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#315 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM

RM - I'm so sorry about FIl. I'll keep the prayers coming.

JayGee- Dh and I used to love to do float trips down there!  I have some great memories of that neighborhood.

Nic and all with the uninspiring school situations :grouphug.  At least your kids have parents paying attention right?  So far my two are having polar opposite experiences.  Dd1 is in a class of 35 6th graders (two groups of 35 actually).  They are so packed in that it's hard to get up to sharpen a pencil let alone hold a thought or have enough calm and attentiveness to be taught anything.  Dd2 is living it up in her class of 14.  The 6th grade parents are trying to wait patiently to hear that the district has brought in another teacher but I'm not holding my breath.

And Nic - I hear you on the effect of shaming for sugar bingeing.  It wouldn't be my knee-jerk response but since dh felt I'd screwed up by letting it reach a critical mass in the first place he got to be the first responder to the news.  I've been giving real thought to the idea of anemia but based on their diet I don't think that could be it.  I think it was purely a crime of opportunity.  :eyesroll  

As for sugar, today was Ali G's birthday and we all ate cheesecake and rice krispie treats with coconut-cream frosting and mac n' cheese and ended the day with pizza and ice cream.  Can you tell who dictated the day's menu? :lol  Tomorrow we return to the detox days.  

Gaye - More date reports!  especially considering the link between this guy and laser hair removal. :lurk

I've got a sleepy 6 year old on my lap who is more than ready for bed.  Night night all!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#316 of 317 Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM

RM, so sorry to hear about your fil's report. hug.gif Cute picture, btw!

Plady, love hearing about dd2's classroom. She's going to have such a great year! Wish dd1's classroom wasn't so crowded! Eek, my ds1 can barely hold a thought with 5 in the room, much less 35! We start no sugar for the month of Sept as of tomorrow, although I will probably allow one small treat a week - something like a piece of pie, brownie, or whatever is at church. So... here we go! Good luck to us all!

JG, your Sat sounds perfect! Your ds's classroom does not! greensad.gif Hope something reignites his love of learning soon!

Jooj, Glad your feeling better. Hope you have a great run tomorrow!

Gaye, dr: thumb Love reading about ds's biking love!

Kerc, nice job with the Tagalog! How's the weather up there? I keep reading about these insane heat temperatures in your area and I keep thinking, "Kerc must be dying!" Hope you guys are fine!

RR: Nothing since I swam. The heat is one thing (upper 90s) but mainly it's the dust. It hasn't rained in... months? Not sure. The road is powder. The green leaves are covered in dust. Everything is dusty. I hate wearing open-toed shoes outside because I feel like I have to wash my feet right when I walk in the door.

NRR: I am loveeyes.gif about the Crockpot. Still looking for a cookbook. Thinking about some Paleo version so shoot out some recs if you have a fave.

School Related: Our classroom is coming along. DH has finished insulating the walls and finished the tongue-and-groove siding on 2/3 of it. In the meantime, school is in session and I am actively working on trying to chill out and just enjoy it.

eta: Oh - I've been meaning to post a link to this article ever since I read it earlier this summer: The 10-minute Workout, Times Three Makes me feel slightly less bad for getting in 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, and much more eager to sprint and play with kids and feel like it counts and no, I don't have to do it all at once.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#317 of 317 Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 AM

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page