Running back to school with the Dingos: August 2013 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 317 Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geo--do you think it could have been West Nile virus?

MelW--yay for a run!

sparkle--you're back. Don't you love when trips turn into epic adventures? smile.gif

tjsmama--hope everyone is back to healthy there.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#62 of 317 Old 08-09-2013, 05:32 PM

Still thinking of you, RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

geo, way to go with the school and the plan. Here's hoping they can sustain it through the year and not slack when they start to see improvements.

The diagnoses that we think are right are oral apraxia (and possibly some fine motor apraxia) and social pragmatic communication disorder. These together explain 95% of his struggles, assuming some of the behavior is task avoidance.

Yeah, we're familiar with the 2nd quarter "wow, things are going great" accommodation slide and the 4th quarter "why isn't your kid fixed yet?" teacher frustrations. I'm learning to anticipate them. I hope to be proactive this year.

Nope. Not west nile. My symptoms weren't that close, and I'd managed no mosquito bites to that point this summer.
#63 of 317 Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Hey guys, been busy doing lots of family stuff. Funeral weekend was amazing. Loved spending so much time with family we only see every other year, +/-. Very special. Schlitterbahn was awesome. Austin was great. Birthday spent getting much-needed pedicure and had Mexican food, margaritas & cheesecake for dinner, thanks to Jo mentioning cheesecake lol.gif

Jo, you're next! birthday.gif

Plady, is your anniversary & my bday the same day?! Our anniversary is usually just dinner; a movie sounds extra special!

Sparkle, you're back! Alive! In one piece! Sane! lol.gif What a trip! I look forward to pix. smile.gif

Rm, how is fil?

RR: <--- biglaugh.gif yep, I have one! I reached deep down & finally found the nerve to call someone 1 road & 2 pastures over to invite her to walk/run with me. She said yes. joy.gif Tomorrow is run/walk date 2. loveeyes.gif She's a teacher, so keep your fingers crossed and maybe we can keep something going just to hold each other (up) accountable. thumb.gif

NRR: canceled a trip to Dallas - so happy. I'm ready to settle into country life again and make way for autumn.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#64 of 317 Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 PM

Sucked in to working. They called and begged at 6pm, I told them I hadn't slept enough to be safe, and they convinced me to do an 8h night instead. I headed to bed with kids at 7:30 and after a 2.5 hour nap feel ready to tackle a night shift. Then days off!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#65 of 317 Old 08-09-2013, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

lofty~joy.gif for new running partners!

melw~Hope your night goes quickly and uneventfully! I hope they appreciate you!

sparkle~wave.gif Welcome back!

DS was feeling much better today, although still running a low grade fever. We went unmedicated for the day, and he was acting pretty much totally fine. I had a down day, for the most part. I slept late-ish (although DS was apparently up way early, thank you, sister for being up and taking care of that orngtongue.gif), skipped my run thanks to some weird dizzyness greensad.gif (and just when I was actually on track to hit all of my runs on my training plan for the first time, sigh), took the kids to the park to play for a bit, then took DS in to school to get registered. We found out that he has two of his best friends in his class this year, but he has a brand new teacher that we know nothing about other than her name. Then sis and BIL took the kids out for the afternoon so I could nap before work tonight.

Still exchanging texts with date #2...trying to get together, but our schedules are pretty much making it impossible. I've had my family here all week, now working all weekend, then he's going to California next week. So maybe we'll have a second date at some point in the distant future? orngtongue.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#66 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 AM

ok we're back. we made it. and I realized my level of anxiety was so amazingly high for some unknown reason.

But we paddled to a camp site, set up camp, stayed there for two days (with a few little jaunts out in the canoe) and then went home. whew. And not as epic as Sparkle's adventure, but we did have Leah barfing in the middle of the night. Awesome.

My own stomach is a little, err, off. But is that anxiety (which I have a lot of right now)? or is it illness?  dunno.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#67 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Good morning mamas,

Kerc - Just generalized anxiety?  Or is it pre-school year stuff?  Anyway I hope it subsides.  

MelW - You are amazing!  I hope the night was quiet and peaceful or else fascinatingly busy.

Gaye - It's kind of sweet that you and Date #2 are working so hard to get another date. 

Lofty - Your birthday dinner sounds delish.  Good luck with the new RP!  That's exciting!

RR: RP couldn't run today so I'm going to take dd1 out for a run.  It's been a loooong time.

NRR: Anniversary was fine.  We went to one place for a drink and then to a different one for dinner.  We thought about trying the new sushi place in town and took a look at it but it just wasn't calling me and dh didn't care so we just went to the same old place.  But really they have great salads which is what I wanted and tasty cocktails and we also got dessert which made it all feel very special.  It was good.

In school news we just found out that Ali G's kindy class this year only has 14 kids (the whole grade is 25 fewer than last year's)!  I'm so glad we are holding her back, not only do we let the smug parents of last year carry on without us but we end up with half as many kids for the next 12 years!  Yay!  Anyway she went and hung out with her teacher for a while yesterday and had a great time and is really excited for school. 

FRR: So we've been trying to stay grain/sugar free all summer and for the most part it has been going okay but there are always special exceptions it seems and they tend to derail the kids the most.  So yesterday morning dh and I told the kids it was time to really try again to get it all under control and stay focused.  Then last night, late, dd1 and her friend who is sleeping over were in the kitchen making a snack (plain yogurt with froz berries for friend and half a pork chop for dd) and dh threw a fit and started riding dd about snacking and made a scene and told her to put it away and, "we've talked about this..."  I thought that was going too far, especially in front of dd's skinny friend who had been looking for cookies or ice cream but was being (I thought) pretty cool about hearing that we weren't doing sugar.  Later dh agreed not to make a scene in front of her skinny friends (they are all skinny compared to her) but feels like her snack seeking is a direct FU to him and willfully disobedient.  

So, help.gif!  I don't think she's being willful, I think she just wants to be normal and what she sees in the media and probably at friend's houses is that it's normal to go looking for a snack at night when you're having a sleep-over.  No movies ever show the parents restricting snacks as a normal thing or setting limits on when or what to eat (unless it's something about eating disorders right?).  Just yesterday as I was flipping through some idiotic ladies' mag about organizing your home I saw a picture of a meticulously organized pantry, much like ours but cleaner and stocked solely with packaged snack foods with the caption, supposedly the wise, organized mother's words "I like to keep healthy snacks on lower shelves so the kids can help themselves." (The most obvious 'healthy snack' in view was a box of Rice Krispie Treats irked.gif).  I'm not the only one getting the message that my home is not the 'norm' and that my rules are somehow overly restrictive.  And then dh accuses me, perhaps correctly, of making every special occasion about food.  Well, yeah I do think birthdays go together with cake.  And so do weddings.  And yes, having dessert with dinner made my anniversary feel special in a way it wouldn't have had I skipped it.  I am a child of America at the turn of the century of sugar, sue me.  And I haven't heard him come up with any alternatives other than ignore it all and hope it goes away.

I guess the constant uphill battle against the onslaught of messages that tell me and the kids that we're the weird ones is just getting to me.  How do I insulate my kids?  And if dh is going to rail about snacking even when they make healthy choices, how will we ever find a balance?   banghead.gif  </vent>

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#68 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 09:04 AM

Plady, I so feel your pain. This is almost verbatim the convo we have re:ds2 who never eats very much at once, who is more of a grazer and who seems to constantly need a snack but it also looks a lot like boredom and yes, he is carrying extra weight w/I doing enough exercise. So, I don't know what to do either. I think I remember having similar conversations with ds1 who doesn't have that issue at all anymore, is genuinely starving at all times, and has shot up and slimmed up at the same time. So I keep arguing he's ok but the convo makes me so uncomfortable bc I think it might actually be creating a problem. So sorry. Aargh. Let me know if you figure anything out.

Kerc, hope you're not sick, too!

RR- very good. I think several times a week may be doable with a rp to keep me accountable. She's a teacher and I love talking school so the time just flies. thumb.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#69 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Lofty, I am glad you had a lovely birthday! And also hoping this running partner thing keeps working out!

kerc, do you get the autumn anxieties, or is something up?

geo, more than seeing your video of ds, I would have liked to watch the team watch the video. I SO hope this creates the right environment for him.

MelW, when you said first run in about a month, I was like, "yeah, I know how that is!"

Plady...I totally feel the pain of dealing with the whole food/eating/weight thing. And I don't know how to remedy it, but would ask myself:

Are we meeting all nurtrient needs consistently?

Is the diet high enough in fat?

Is everyone drinking enough water? Getting enough sleep? Spending time creatively? Outdoors?

And then I guess try to come to terms with body type differences, maybe, and make sure health is the big concern and not too much aesthetics. I still struggle with this all the time for myself; and while both of my kids are very slender, I find myself looking at the somewhat gangly, weakling-y ds and thinking things that indict him as not exercising enough. And I don't like the way my mom's voice sounds inside my own head, so I mostly probably just need to tell her to shut up. bag.gif

RR-ish but not really: Two days up north at my parents' cabin with my friend and our similar-aged kids. Some hiking, a little sunbathing on a beach, some walking, kids did some splashing around, lots of fire-building and cooking and s'mores making (my stomach HATES me right now), very little drama, and generally just a nice time. I could have spent another 2 days easily with those guys.

And tonight is the holiday dinner with our Muslim community, and tomorrow is out to my parents, and Monday starts training in earnest for the half (fully aware that I might not make it, given the time frame, but giving it a shot) and cleaning up my own eating. We have school orientation this week and classes start next week. Time flies.

#70 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 12:43 PM

Plady - I like Jo's questions. Its not so much dictating what food is "good" and which not, but teaching an awareness of body-mind communication; how does food X make me feel compared to food Y. Am I really hungry or just bored, tired, anxious? What would make me feel truly nourished right now, as opposed to what is my sugar/carb dependent, natural selection brain telling me to eat. I would rather my kids eschew all simple carbs (which I mostly enforce) and eat some good dark chocolate for dessert, than eat a pile of fruit all day long (which I think masks their hunger for more sustaining food like fat and protein). but I am one of those "weird" moms. What would happen if she ate what she wanted (which would inherently be limited by what's available in the house, and by your rules around eating between meals)?

RR: weight circuit today. After all the talk about insomnia (thank you eyesroll.gif) I havent been able to sleep for the past two nights ... which tends to make me feel nauseus. So that's how I felt; weak and nauseus. But I love weights. My goal is to just keep upping the weights until I really cant. Im curious to see how strong I can get, but also a little leery of looking like one of those women in those adds for protein drinks yikes2.giflol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#71 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Ha! I am not the only mom to limit fruits. My kids are sure that I am.
Plady, you know I worry about one of my daughters. It doesn't help that the others kids are tall, slim, more athletically built. My plan was for her to maintain her weight and grow taller this summer. That didn't work out. She has a thing for simple carbs and might think that everyday has a justification for cake. I have made a point to make sure she has enough protein. Fat seems to happen but I should probably watch for healthy fats. We have a physical outlet each day - swim team practice, dance class, etc. I have tried to make it fun and routine. Yet at the beach this week another mom who knows that I worry mentioned that it may just be her body type. H is not heavy, just at the top end of normal. She is healthy and active and I pay attention to her diet. When she is mature she is likely to be curvy but right now her face looks full to me. She has naturally big hair that doesn't help diminish this look. LOL I worry that making a bigger deal of it will make for a bigger problem. I tried a "for your health" approach but she started to worry she was sick/unhealthy. I am struggling to make the motivation to take care of her weight/health a responsibility she wants to take on in a positive way. The girls are young and therefore short term thinkers. The payback from good decisions is not immediate in many ways. (I suppose eating that really doesn't agree with one can be a short term problem.) Look back at pictures on both sides of the family. You might find evidence of kids filling out before shooting up. Dh thinks I make to big a deal of it and I think she may be sneaking food or at least taking full advantage to overeat junk when I am not around to stop her. I wish I had a brilliant idea for you but I am limited to commiserating.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#72 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 03:37 PM

On food: My kids and I listened to this podcast earlier this year and it was a good opportunity to talk about the food culture within our family and within our greater culture. My ulterior motive was to try to break them of a morning snack that was out of habit rather than hunger/need and was often interfering with our daily routines. We had also gotten into a rut of food bribes at the end of grocery shopping trips, and a general pattern of treats that didn't suit us well and was leading to crummy behaviour. While I don't think the french have all the answers (and am generally unfond of broad national comparisons about how other countries are doing things "right" vs our "wrong"), this spurred a helpful conversation about patterns of eating in our family and what we strive for. We also have the advantage of weekly visits to the traditional chinese medicine doctor who always asks about food, makes suggestions about patterns of eating and their impact on our health and talks about the downsides of the "treat" culture that we have in North America. Though the kids seems to pay only half attention at these visits, I think there has been a positive impact on all of our relationships with food. He's a big advocate of the occasional piece of dark chocolate ;)

jo, your food questions are wise and wonderful.

sparkle, please post photos if you start to get muscles like the protein drink women ROTFLMAO.gif

kerc, wishing you calmness.

The night shift was quite reasonable, and I managed to get a nap on my break. I did decline my co-worker's offer of going out for a beer after work (seriously- at 8 am? I could maybe see a mimosa or caesar, but not sure I could drink beer after being awake all night) in favour of driving home to sleep. Having a 45 minute commute to do tired with alcohol in my system seems dangerous, if not illegal.

In other big news, my husband is applying for a tenure-track position at a university not-near-here. (Close to where he worked in his year away). Our house guests earlier in the week included his very good friend who is on faculty there, and who thinks his chances are quite good. It leads to a variety of conversations about life/work/future plans. The job would start in January, and I've been very clear that I wouldn't consider moving me and the kids until after the school year at the earliest. There is enough uncertainty in our relationship that I'm not sure about making a big move without solid job/career prospects for myself. And I love it here and am generally reluctant to move, though we have some good friends and my family in that area (my amazing grandma included). On one hand I'm rooting for him because it would offer a lot of stability and very good money, and on the other I'm really hoping that he doesn't get it so we can fully commit to being here and working toward more permanence (which I'm already doing, but some was undone for him in the year away).

#73 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 05:12 PM

After the conversation about treat culture: kids came home from seeing a musical with grandma. She reports grape juice and chips at intermission, chocolate on the drive home. Littlest was at a birthday party this morning and had cake there (homemade and sent by me to avoid allergens). She came home, tripped on the door stop and proceeded to cry/whine/meltdown on and off for the next 30 minutes. Oldest is hiding in her room with Archie comics. Lest you think we have our $#!t together with food, I assure you it's a work in progress.

#74 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Melw, Beer at 8am after being up all night? That's crazy talk. Best of luck to your dh and if it comes to it I hope you see a clear path or your family.

kerc, how do you calm yourself? Melw has a co worker recommending you turn to beer a bit earlier in the day. wink1.gif

sparkle, I am sure you aren't as tan as the woman on the can and probably won't be as muscle bound w/o steroids.

On the food issue (again): If within an hour before a meal, such as when I am already cooking, the kids come wandering into the kitchen to tell me they are hungry I tend to respond, "Good. It is almost dinner time. You should be getting hungry." I think I can have this feeling of not wanting them to be hungry that came from hunger based toddler meltdowns and the ease of breastfeeding. We all get hungry. If you haven't been hungry lately you might be overeating. You should get hungry before you eat - just not so hungry that you are snappy in my case or whiny in the case of my children. I'll stop giving the dingos the lecture I have been giving my children.

Also, I see my older children come to the kitchen after the younger ones are in bed looking for a snack or even another small meal. I wonder where they got this from. whistling.gif If I remind my dd1 that she might not be hungry but need to change for bed and decide how she is going to spend the rest of her night she will often wander off and do so. Ds1 will usually remind me he is to eat several thousand calories a day and proceed to make some decent choices. We do not have the food thing down but I am aware and trying. I am always trying something but I am sure I don't always set the best example as I don't always have the healthiest relationship with food.

If plady comes back this fall or winter I hope she stays with me and we can go for all you can eat sushi but we can also go for a run of some sort.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#75 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 07:52 PM

Thank you mamas for talking me down. :)  I do like Jo's questions and ask them to my wannabe grazers.  I'm also very thankful that they are children who will eat everything.  I guess it's mostly an issue of me and dh getting on the same page wrt how to guide choices and some firmer guidelines for appropriate snack times.  We generally have never been much of snackers, I was never the mom who remembered to bring water/juice box/fruit leather/pirate booty/grapes/raisin boxes/cheese stix etc when out and about and I frankly resented the smug moms who not only remembered every time but also brought extras just-in-case and who would generally offer my kids something and then think to ask me if it was okay.  I sympathize with not wanting hunger-based toddler tantrums but like Jennifer points out it's healthy to feel hungry now and then and how do you learn to deal with that if you never do it as a kid?  And I do worry that by making a big deal out of this stuff it's more likely to create a problem than to solve one.  I hope that the joke, "I wish I was as fat now as I was when I thought I was fat then" never really resonates with my kids.  

MelW - Exciting and scary?  I don't know what to hope for for you but that the right path is obvious when you're on it.  Beer for breakfast might not help in that regard but then, who knows?

Sparkle - Pix!  Muscle pix and Yosemite please!

Jo - That cabin stay sounds like the perfect cap to Ramadan. 

Posting from work again, a jazz singer tonight.  I hope it's good.  

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#76 of 317 Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 PM

MelW--glad you managed the shift and good luck with DH's job application. It's a difficult call when it means moving.

kerc--glad you're back and I hope the stomach stuff for you turns out to be nerves rather than illness.

sparkle--I agree with MelW on pics. That said, I'm pretty sure the women in those ads don't look that way only because they were weightlifting, ya know?

lofty--yay for a running partner!

Geo--interesting diagnosis. One of the kids in R's grade has apraxia, and a second child in the school has it due to the surgery they did to treat his epilepsy. In the case of the second one, they removed the left half his brain, so go figure. That's the one I think I wrote about this spring; he is recovering amazingly well and it sounds like he'll still be able to stay on track and be in the 4th-grade GT class this fall. Anyhow, I hope the 504 smooths everything and it's a really successful year.

RR: 25 on the bike today. I checked out the course for the duathlon I'm doing in two weeks, largely because it passes the spot where they found some of Jessica Ridgeway's remains. It's an area with tons of open space in a sort of canyon I'd very much wanted to see before that happened but it had been closed for construction work for a couple of years and apparently had just opened up again a week or two before he killed her. After that I've avoided it for obvious reasons. Someone has put up a very nice memorial and there were flowers and stuffed animals and I stopped for a minute to pay my respects. Then I thought I'd ride up to the lake to clear my head, and of course on my way I realized that was a bit foolish. He likely drove the way I was riding to get back home.

That sounds so melodramatic, doesn't it? If it weren't for the fact that I find my own thoughts echoed by my neighbors and friends in the area, I'd be convinced I needed meds. Life has more or less returned to normal in the area but we're by no means healed. The city started to install the new playground equipment in her park this week too (she was walking past/near a park when he grabbed her and the city renamed it as her memorial and tore down the old equipment). It's all designed with purple (her favorite color) and as ribbons and things she liked. It's really a fabulous park from what I've seen, so I hope when it's finished it will prove healing for her neighborhood too.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#77 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 AM

Morning.

Anxiety: apparently it's been ripe all summer. Yesterday morning I opened a file I have been intending to all summer, discovered it was 10 minutes from done and ready to submit and realized what an idiot I've been all summer.

But other than obsessing about work stuff. I'm worried about Erin. My dh tells me I'm overreacting. I'm trying to think that's true. She still has dry lips every single morning when she wakes up. and the key thing is I want that to stop. Dry lips. Here's what you usually think of: dehydration. Or a food allergy/sensititvity.  Also she had a (very mild) sunburn - her first -  this year that left her with roughly a quarter sized patch under her pony tail that hasn't returned to normal. But she's healthy otherwise. No complaints of anything. So I obsess.  Turns out that the gene for celiac also carries the stuff for vitiligo (autoimmune disease where your body basically attacks pigment cells) and both forms of thyroid disorders (MIL had Graves - overactive thyroid, apparently this week my mom was diagnosed with the other Hashimoto? - essentially thyroid grows nodules and swells making it very low functioning). Dh says make a doctor's appointment and then worry about it. Normally our doc is great because she has next/same day scheduling. But I was OOT wed, thurs, friday last week. So....I'm in limbo waiting for the ability to make a doctor's appointment. To probably learn that she's in the 50th % for height and weight and looks great. Drink more.   But every.little.thing makes me obsess: she was low weight when she was an infant. Once she had ____.  And I'm trying not to obsess, but I'm also in awe of how little she can drink. I mean that in and of itself to me is an issue. OK typing it out. Now I'm back to worrying. I will not worry myself to death over this.

edited to add:  I'm not sure what to do with Mom's new dx. My mom was a very active, HEAVY drinker for about 25 years. She's now 75 years old and about 20 years ago was given 6 months to live (due to liver issues). I don't have a ton of contact with her, but frankly I'd love to chat up her doc just to find out what's in store for me.  So should I worry about the thyroid thing? Or did that happen because her liver is/was shot to hell and not functioning.

On food: I'm a healthy, but generally skinny person. I can't make it from a 5:30 dinner to a 6:30 breakfast without a snack. It is definitely worse if I'm up later. Maybe one thing to consider:  a snack need not be the entire bag of chips. But a small handful of nuts. Honestly when I'm gaining weight and trying not to, it helps me a lot to buy the single serve packs of nuts. Or carrots. Or whatever. bag.gif Not very MDC friendly, but I force myself to just eat the one pack and then after a while I "get" serving size again.

We actually have the reverse issue going on for my kiddo #2. She is skin and bones. So we (re) instituted dessert this summer. I think its helping. She basically just grew UP and we were waiting for her to fill in.

Spent much of yesterday repairing the kids tree fort. My dh had in mind how to do it. His plan was different than mine (mine was tear everything off, replace the whole thing; his was take off only what needed replacing, then replace those pieces). Problem being that we went with his plan and most everything needed replacing. That which didn't was tied into that which did. Resulting in a very crabby dh. So I told him he could go on an epic bike ride with his friends today.

#78 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Spurred by Kerc's post, I am going to go soap-boxy on y'all:

I think MD's often dont have answers, especially within the territory of dis-ease you are talking about. It was a revelation to me, when I started having strange symptoms, how little conventional medicine knew (docs literally said to me "we dont know why this is happening, but we have a pill for the symptoms..."). Like all of us, I started down the path of alternative therapies: diet, accupuncture, herbs/tinctures/potions, applied kineseology, body-work, flower essences, etc etc. I read a ton, both online (a lot of anecdotal, but also plenty of placebo controlled, double blind. Some checked out for me by Dh from the medical library at the U). What I learned is that there is a huge gap in understanding the mind-body connection. Further, there is a lot attributed to "stress" but no one really knows what that means or how exactly stress affects us. The one piece of information I found that addressed this gap most compellingly, if not entirely bridged it, had to do with the relationship of the hypothalamus to the gut, and further, of the hypothalamus' role in most body functions and the effect on the hypothalamus of stress.

This theory, based on clinical practice and a few references to medical texts, pointed to how stress on the hypothalamus can manifest in various illnesses, and how de-stressing the hypothalamus can reverse symptoms. Sleep has been humans' way of de-stressing the hypothalamus, but b/c we live as we do in the modern age, we input far more stress than 8 (let alone 6) hours of sleep can unload, so the pressure builds, and one day, weird symptoms start developing. The way to unload the hypothalamus is by changing your brain-waves to a very relaxed state, every day, over months - hence, no one is willing to do it and see the possible results.

I did it, and had more results than I started off pursuing. My miserably painful symptoms went away, and more things resolved (biggest one being getting pregnant with DD2 and then my menstrual cycle back after being ammenorheic/infertile all my life, and having doctors shrug as to why). But as I embarked on my own magical mystery tour, as I liked to call it (brainwaves? really?) I sought evidence of anyone else having success with what I was doing and found two: one had RA and was off meds with no symptoms, and one had Graves, same: off meds, no symptoms. Thyroid functioning within normal range. In both cases the women said their doctors were stunned, and just encouraged them to keep dong what they were doing.

I know that the hypothalamus affects blood flow to the gut which affects not only the health of the lining (permeability, etc) and in turn all things "auto-immune", but also the balance of bacteria, with all the attendant issues that can bring. An unhealthy gut can show up in myriad ways, from skin problems to GI problems to psychiatric problems. The symptoms have to do with the individual, but the source is the same.

Obviously there is a ton about it I dont understand. Heritability? (ie. why are young kids getting these ailments when they havent been alive long enough to build up stress in the H). Feedback loop? (ie it would make sense that an unhealthy gut would also be a stress on the Hypothalamus, so maybe treat both?) etc.

What I do believe is that we all live under more pressure (diet, screen time, lighting ...) than we are physiologically designed for, and no one wants to slow down. I think meditation - or whatever gets your brainwaves to a very relaxed level for at least 20 minutes per day - is more important to health than diet and exercise. But it seems to be the hardest to do ...

Stepping down now loveeyes.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#79 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Obviously there is a ton about it I dont understand. Heritability? (ie. why are young kids getting these ailments when they havent been alive long enough to build up stress in the H). Feedback loop? (ie it would make sense that an unhealthy gut would also be a stress on the Hypothalamus, so maybe treat both?) etc.

What I do believe is that we all live under more pressure (diet, screen time, lighting ...) than we are physiologically designed for, and no one wants to slow down. I think meditation - or whatever gets your brainwaves to a very relaxed level for at least 20 minutes per day - is more important to health than diet and exercise. But it seems to be the hardest to do ...

Stepping down now loveeyes.gif

Yes. I agree MDs don't know it all. How could they?  And why is my young kid getting this?  shrug.gif She's certainly experienced stress. As in the first born, unplanned baby born during a phd program I probably shouldn't have even been in (not for lack of ability, for lack of interest in the long term career prospects).

So...how do you convince a 10.5 yo that she needs to get her brainwaves to a very relaxed level for at least 20 minutes a day?  She's resistant to sleep. Has been her entire life (again cue possible symptoms one comes upon when using Dr. Google to google an otherwise very healthy child). She doesn't have issues once she is asleep, just doesn't seem to want to unwind. vs. her sister and I who enjoy the laying around in the hammock just shy of asleep for hours at a time on a saturday afternoon.

#80 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Yeah, the awakeness is certainly an attribute of people who could use some scheduled relaxation, but I hear you, Ive been thinking of it for 6 years for my kids and I just cant face how difficult it would be to get them to do, let alone how hard it would be to find the time! A friend started with her - home-schooled - kids, with 5 minutes for the first weeks then increasing by 5's to 20. They sat together. I have meditation sounds that I listen to, that literally changed my experience 180 from freaking HATING it (I did 20 minutes 2x per day the first year) to enjoying it. Now its love orngbiggrin.gif Anyway, I think the sounds would be really good for kids. Also, I do mine laying down. The sitting was just too noticeable/intrusive to my thoughts. But this also means that I have to do it at times of day when I feel AWAKE, like now, and not in the afternoon/evening, because if you fall asleep, the effects are void yikes2.gif

My first thought when reading your post was FAT. Specifically, mega-doses of fish oil, along with a lot of added good fats (oils and nuts) to her diet. Will she do fish oil? Frankly I think the CLO from grocery stores isnt really going to touch the problems we all take it for, but that's just from my armchair research. I take Blue Ice, and give it to my kids (they dont like it, and I dont care! Non-negotiable lol.gif), and we take A LOT. The dose on the bottle is 1/2 tsp. and I think my kids take 4x that at least, and I take more. Needless to say, I buy in bulk. Its still very expensive, but I see it like medicine, so I budget for it. Its the one thing I do for DS where, after 3-4 days on it, I absolutely notice a change in his behavior. Same when he goes off shrug.gif

Anyway, that and a lot of good uncooked Olive oil on food, coconut oil, avocados, good quality butter, and nuts.... that's what I'd try first....

I'm sorry for your worry greensad.gifgoodvibes.gif

#81 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 AM

real: It's not melodramatic. It's empathic. Part of your good qualities.

kerc: Massage or some other sensory cue? Bring all the lights way down? Also, is it possible she might have the same fungal companion I enjoy? I have tinea versicolor; it gets worse every summer during peak heat/humidity. I treat it with dandruff shampoo and foot spray (lighter than cream and easier to spray my back and neck) and basically have to beat it back down every couple of years. It gets worse when I am not eating right (dairy/sugar/grains). White spots on tan skin, tan/pink spots on white skin. Slightly elevated or even flaky on close examination.

Speaking of...I am reading sparkletruck's soapbox speech and nodding along, because I know she's onto something. I experience evidence of this in perhaps the opposite order--rather than brain-to-gut, the thing I can readily sense is gut-to-brain. When I eat things that don't hurt my intestines (examples of such things, for me, are red meat and green, leafy vegetables), I don't just feel well in the physical sense; I feel confident, smart, witty, and even more attractive (could this be linked to hormonal balance?). I feel good about the future, even though my knowledge of it does not increase by eating these foods. Then, I have a week involving the flour/sugar/dairy trifecta and I begin to sink into the earth. Then my sleep is disturbed (I am a 9-hour sleeper; this Ramadan was really hard on me). Then I make more poor decisions. My trigger fingers catch, my bunion starts to burn, the acne and headaches start, and all these little aches turn into bigger pains, and it snowballs unless I catch it and reel in fast.

And even with all that knowledge, I am a sucker for a piece of ____ whenever there is an occasion. (See also, Plady, above). Truths: I enjoy running, biking, swimming, walking. I prefer not to live with a daily 400-800mg ibuprofen (which I know wreaks havoc on the gut too). I know I need that brain downtime, but I feel pulled--to the computer, the Kindle, a book, even a piece of paper and a pen, just no! Not the meditation!

So, sparkle, the next question: is there a C25K for transcending? Not joking.

#82 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 AM

Kerc, something DD got from therapy is a clearer understanding on how her thoughts, feelings, and actions interact, and some manner of understanding how she can take control of her thoughts and reactions. The issue of slowing down ones thoughts is something that often needs instruction and practice. Outsource it. Also, is she still in yoga?

The question on your mom's issues as they might affect you is a question for your doctor, not hers. Have the discussion of what might require additional monitoring as a result. I think that's a fair discussion to have as it is a proactive precaution.

Back from cub scout camping. It's a great group, but there's one dad that is a kind of bull in a chilna shop kinda guy. I have a great relationshio with the school, something he doesn't. Gentle suggestions on how maybe not yelling at your kid's teacher might help things fell on deaf ears. Ugh. It's a community of people who never hear 'no.'. Meanwhile, I have a phone appointment to talk a college friend through dealing with her son's issues at their school. Maybe I should write that book.
#83 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

The question on your mom's issues as they might affect you is a question for your doctor, not hers. Have the discussion of what might require additional monitoring as a result. I think that's a fair discussion to have as it is a proactive precaution.

Yeah. The issue is really I want to know what does he think brought on the thyroid thing and how is her health otherwise. Mainly are the other body systems functioning normally? It's difficult to discern from my mom's note. Then again the first time my mom met my dh she was talking about a car accident. 

"It really wasn't a bad accident." 

"But I thought you totaled the car?"

"Oh I guess it did roll, but no one was hurt."

"Except you did have a concussion Carol."

"Oh yes, I guess you're right."

Yoga kind of stopped being a weekly thing. The teacher I think is stopping and Erin aged out of yoga that works for 4 year olds +. Mostly because only 4-7 yr olds showed up regularly. I should consider if she wants to take a class with me. Better yet would be if my friend Deb wanted to take a class with her. 

#84 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Back from cub scout camping. It's a great group, but there's one dad that is a kind of bull in a chilna shop kinda guy. I have a great relationshio with the school, something he doesn't. Gentle suggestions on how maybe not yelling at your kid's teacher might help things fell on deaf ears. Ugh. It's a community of people who never hear 'no.'. Meanwhile, I have a phone appointment to talk a college friend through dealing with her son's issues at their school. Maybe I should write that book.

Oh my.

#85 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Geo - Book? Yes!

Jo - The thing is, I think your yeast rash and brain fog/depression-from-food are linked, and all back to the hypothalamus/gut. I think if your H was in shape, you wouldnt react as much or at all to diet changes and your yeast thing would clear up. But I cant get the NIH to give me a grant for the study Id like to do lol.gif

Anyone want to form some kind of writing group; fiction, and creative non-fiction (ie non-academic)?
Ive been working on a few pieces this summer, and need some accountability. I'm considering a "creative non-fiction" class this semester, but that might be too much accountability bag.giflol.gif Further, I'm trying to get a short story (which could turn out to be more) underway, and am finding it very difficult. I know the plot (have had it mapped out for about a year), but now that Im finally ready to sit down and do it, I dont even know if it should be in first person or second, and am realizing, when coming-up-against any kind of description, just how bad a writer I am, or how hard it is, or that I have no perspective on anything (hence the need for a group). Jo? Lofty? Exchange pages 1x per month? ...

RR: rest day. feeling the weights from yesterday, as of course I couldnt possibly go down in weight from what I lifted two weeks ago....

NRR: DS has his first appt. with a therapist Tues. Dh and I have been broaching the subject gradually (as in, he doesnt know about the appt yet, just that maybe seeing someone could be useful). Im going to write down what Geo just said about what her DD has gotten from therapy to tell our therapist as my goal for the therapy lol.gif Again; Book?!

#86 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM

#87 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 AM

What are we looking at, kerc?

The book would be how to work with public schools for kids with unusual (but not legally protected) needs. Turns out my experience and success both put me in a unique position, and there is no equivalent out there.
#88 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Sorry best pic I have. Middle of back, right above white iPod carrying strap (self constructed. Love that kid!).

#89 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 12:34 PM

This article is somewhat helpful in differentiation between vitiligo and tinea versicolor: http://www.gponline.com/Clinical/article/970298/Glance---Vitiligo-vs-tinea-versicolor/

I think that mind-body stuff is often helpful, whether it's mind-->body or body-->mind. Jin Shin Do, yoga, tai chi, etc. I've had good luck with relaxation tracks for my kids, though mostly at bedtime for sleep.

Blackberry picking today was cut short by a screaming 4 year old found standing in the middle of a red ant's nest. The bites healed quickly, but she was pretty scared.

#90 of 317 Old 08-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Sparkle, I think you're really right on the money. I wish I could figure out a way to implement it. I experience total shut down when faced with the prospect of changing things.

That said, last week's seminar was intense, difficult (physically -- the sitting) and enlightening. And now my anxiety is through the roof as I'm contemplating changing everything about the year's teaching and we're two weeks out from the start of school and we're going away for four days tomorrow. Which I don't want to do. And I am overwhelmed, in so many ways, and very, very miserable and sad regarding 'my situation' which seems to be deteriorating again after a plateau/quiet period. Feeling rather like finding a hole and crawling in there by myself for a while. greensad.gif

On the up side, a beautiful day and a nice long run this morning in the park.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page