Running back to school with the Dingos: August 2013 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geo--do you have a blog for this sort of thing? I'm wondering whether it might help any pitch to publishers and also be of assistance if you are moving into slightly different waters. Both of the women I mentioned blog regularly. Another one who comes to mind, this time regarding e-publishing, is Gary Rubinstein. I don't think he has a PhD, but he just self-published a book which made me think of it. I follow his blog mainly for his discussions of public policy and K-12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Anyway, may you have many happy, safe years in your Subie :Dr
Thanks. It needs to last at least 15 years, preferably 20 or more. We fully plan to take R to college in this car. Probably J too. I hope the appointment goes well for you. Sometimes it can help to have a different dynamic too, just to shake things up in a good way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Real: Great deal. Great tip. Congrats and glad you're safe. If you don't want to bother selling the car, consider donating...
First, biglaugh.gif about selling. The engine is dead, the transmission and oil may have sprung simultaneous leaks (I saw two new leaks on the garage floor when we got home that night), the car is 13 years old with a dent in the side from some idiot who must have hit us while pulling out of a parking space but then drove away, a driver's side window that rolls down only when it feels like it, a broken cupholder that holds nothing, random electrical problems (the odometer keeps fading out lately; last week our key fobs wouldn't open the door for no known reason), the automatic rear-view mirror stopped dimming automatically some time last year and has no other way to make the headlights dimmer in it, and to top it off, the trunk has to be propped open with a long PVC pole because otherwise it will fall on your head as you try to access anything in the trunk. Doesn't make for an appealing for-sale ad. biglaugh.gif

We called a place about donating it. They said they'd call us back to schedule the tow truck "right away." When we called back several hours later it turned out that "right away" means 2-3 days. The car is about 45 minutes away, in the mountains, and the guy who towed it said he can take it to the crusher if we wanted, and he had a place to store it for a week or two. He said to keep him updated, but when we called the place today we talked to someone different who wasn't pleased that we might donate it to charity and threatened to charge us storage fees, etc. eyesroll.gif Apparently he was yelling about who would pay for the towing, but they're getting paid for that by our auto club, thankyouverymuch. We decided the charity place needs to schedule the towing by Friday or we're just going to drive up, get the rest of the stuff out of the car (like my garage door opener! and CDs! and the cargo box and roof rack!) and sign the title over to the tow trunk place and be done with it. With school starting on Monday, we need that done.

tjsmama--the guy sounds fun. Hopefully you'll see more of him. Also, let me know how much the shoes are so I can put the check with the race stuff for Sunday please. Sorry about the bike ride. I've had those kinds of experiences, and that was when she still had the training wheels on. Guess who is riding her biking on two wheels now though? I wouldn't have guessed it, but we put the pedals back on last week, per her request and she did it.

She's riding pretty strongly now, though I'm not sure she's up to biking for 3 miles yet. Among other things, she's definitely not ready for the big hill that leads back to the house. She got about 2/3rds of the way last time before she had to stop and walk, though that's better than my husband did for a long time!

RR: drove my parent's van back to their house and then ran home, with a tempo 3 in the middle. Went swimming in the evening.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#122 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 AM

We've had two and a half of us sick with a stomach bug for over a week now. Half because I think I had it too, but never actually threw up, but just a queasy stomach. So I'm washing all the handles and doorknobs and sink handles and whatnot. I consulted with a local friend who is a crunchy sort of person, but also a public health person. And we're using chlorox wipes to get the job done.

I have a confession to make.

I love them!

Disposable.

Probably toxic.

Overkill.

But they're taking grease off my kitchen cupboards like nothing else has.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#123 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 AM

Kerc - I just bought some for the first time because both kids needed a pack for their school supplies.  I still had an extra pack and I'm with you, total guilty pleasure!  I'll go back to my vinegar/water/lavender eo but I've had some fun wiping everything down once anyway.

I have more personals but I need to start working on my hair.  Too much gray peeking out!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#124 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 AM

kerc - I agree that those things remove grease from cabinets better than anything!

RR - Rip Fit in an hour.

NRR - DS headed off to Jr. High this morning. Sniff..... And DH had us go back to back this morning, and DS is officially taller than his Mama. And wearing the same shoe size as his Dad! DD1 and DD2 asked to "just be dropped off" in front of school this morning, rather than have me walk them in like I have done in the past. Even DD2!!!! And now I am drinking coffee, enjoying total silence, and getting ready to clean up a summer's worth of accumulated messes. I'm actually kind of excited!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#125 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM

We have our standardized tests starting today. We can do them anytime, but I like to get things moving at the start of the school year. Also would like to do some school shopping and pick up a couple of (lightweight) necessities.

I am a total mirena fan. This is my third. I have just become a total baby when it comes to discomfort though. I have not had much for any sort of cramping in...well, dd will turn 10 in December, so...this was the least comfortable installation. Definitely not due to lack of provider skill, but probably rather lack of patient suck-it-up. And also maybe lack of crosstraining.

RR: Walked an hour this morning, will do yoga later in the day.

Clorox wipes: My mom had put together a goodie basket for when we moved into the apartment. Wipes were part of that. They have their uses, but I don't like those non-paper, non-woven base wipes. That said, the dash, steering wheel, stick shift and parking brake are sparkly clean.

#126 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

True confessions of a hospital nurse: I love the cancer-causing caviwipes we use on everything in the hospital. I would totally steal a box and bring them home. I love that chemical "clean" smell they impart to everything. bag.gif

OMG, you guys, I just had the most amazing long run, and you know me...I do NOT say that often!!! The first couple of miles were a little sluggish, but I got in a groove by mile 3, and totally picked it up and hauled on the second half. I negative split the second half by a good three minutes, not too shabby on a 10 mile run! I have to confess, it might have been partially due to a very nice text message I received from a certain male around mile 6 that put a smile on my face and a spring in my step the rest of the way. redface.gif Long run, done! joy.gif

And now, off to run a few errands before we head to the pool for the rest of the day. Work tonight, yippee.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#127 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Ewww, caviwipes. I hate the smell of most chemical cleaners. Though I seemed to have picked up a some gastroenteritis at work yesterday, so disinfecting wipes do have an appeal at the moment. I've had a crummy sleep from the need for bathroom breaks. Since we were already at the chinese doctor for the weekly appointment this morning, I came home with a day's worth of herbs for me, too.

sparkle, I hope the appointment goes smoothly and without too much heel dragging.

Congrats on the car, real.

Enjoy your new back to school routine, JayGee.

jo, good luck with the tests. I'm a copper IUD kind of woman, and had my second put in this winter. I'm always reluctant to glowingly recommend it though, because of the increased bleeding/cramping. It's a non-issue for me, but gives it a pretty high regret rate from others.

RR- Does sprinting to the bathroom count?!

NRR- Husband leaves tomorrow for a week or so. I have a few dozen things on my "to do" list to knock off while he's gone- usually his absence makes me much more organized and productive. And we'll eat omelettes and pancakes for dinner :)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#128 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 AM

I've started to reply several,times but haven't ever finished. I guess if you leave it for later it disappears. Bummer!

gaye- I don't know how much older date guy is bit dh is 12 yrs older than me and a perfect match. I don't know if that makes him young or me old and frankly I don't care, lol. Have fun!

Reading everybody's input about when they did and didn't buy cars it's cracking me up. I haven't had to buy a car in nine years and I love no payments. This week I have been driving my in-laws hybrid and I am loving the gas savings!

RR: I haven't done any running in a week and a half just because I've been getting over this silly sinus infection. I fear to get back into running I may have to carry a box of Kleenex with me, lol. Since school started I'm also trying to figure out where to put running in during the day. My feet hit the floor at 6:30 and I don't stop until the end of the school day at dinnertime. I might have to try running when husband gets home from work But right now with him going to the hospital after work that's not really working either.

FIL update: They are talking about moving him to a long-term care Hospital and putting in a trachea tube It makes it seem like things aren't moving in the right direction, well the direction that we wanted to anyway. I think we are starting to wonder if he will come out of this at all. The longer that he continues in this state, the harder it seems to be on everyone. They tried weaning him off of the respirator, but he can't breathe on his own. He is also now on continual dialysis. When dh and I were there visiting on Sunday we counted 17 bags of fluid, meds etc. It's almost as if we have to start thinking about losing him all over again.

My time is up so I will hit reply before I lose this one too hope all is well with you.
#129 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 12:38 PM

RM - goodvibes.gif that things go gently whichever way they go. I'm so sorry for the limbo, its a very hard place to be

Melw - and goodvibes.gif to you. Yuck, and not as in you're gross, but what a drag. GI bugs are so depleting!

Jo - 2 hours a day of writing!? Glad I didnt sign up for that extra class lol.gif Here's to a smooth start to the school year

Lofty - so sorry about both mil's! You must be exhausted. Time to get back to the woods indeed!

RR: rest day, and it feel so gooood.

NRR: therapy was interesting mostly for the 'aha's' it inspired than the actual event. I didnt go. We gave Ds the choice and he chose dad (ok for the first visit, but I'll go from now on. Dh, admittedly, doesnt have the vocab. or the analysis of the situation I do). One aha was that Dh talks too much to Ds, explaining and explaining. There are times when I whisper "shh!". You cant give Ds an inch or he takes 10 miles ... which apparently Dh realized at the therapists.

Also, a potential biggie, which has been dawning on me this summer, is how DD1 fits in to the dynamic. Did I tell you all about Ds' teacher's report-card analysis? He assessed Ds' opposition and competativeness and aggression as stemming from anxiety and insecurity. This was a lightbulb for me. Somehow yesterday, this growing intuition about DD1 hit me: they are very competitive. She corrects him in a lot of things (they are very close academically, but she's ahead so she corrects, she started kung fu after him but surpassed him and then started correcting his forms, they race each other to get through books...), and it occurs to me that he is second to her, literally, but then also in most things they do. He has always been emotionally sensitive, but combine that with competing for your parents attention with a "good" girl, and wham, he's either fighting us and everyone else to be right, or he's giving us all the big F U and getting attention that way. He's found his niche as the "boy's boy" (which everyone calls him, and which has always bugged me) to the hilt. A: he IS a true boy, so is not as mannered and thoughtful as DD1, which likely adds to his feelings of inadequacy, and B: he came secind, so she;s always doing things first or a little better and he's always playing catch-up. He's coming at getting-his-parents-attention from a feeling of deficit already, why not just say screw it and embrace the loser-jerk he thinks we think he is.

That's my armchair-psychology thoughts as of yesterday anyway....

Meanwhile, perfect case-in-point: he tested in to GT (easily) which means he will join DD1 in the GT pull-out this year. Poor guy (and honestly, I think he fits the GT criteria more. The tester/assessor laughed, when we picked him up from the test after he finished an hour early, saying, um, yeah, he definitely qualifies.)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#130 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Hi, dingoes! Back from two weeks of vacay, and I've been reading along on my phone. I have tons of personals in my head, but I'll get to those tomorrow (hopefully). In the meantime, I need some commune wisdom. Here goes:

At the end of week 1 at the beach, we were packing and getting ready to check out of our room when DS (age 7) had a small-ish diarrhea accident in his swim trunks. We were at the beach with my dad and planning on meeting up with DH and my mom later in the day to start week 2 at another beach. The accident freaked him out and he sat on the toilet for 75 minutes trying to poop. After using all my tricks, I asked my dad to step in. We were way past check-out time and stressed but trying our best to minimize it for DS. My dad told him to fold up some toilet paper and stick it in his underwear to catch any later potential accidents. That worked, it at least got him off the toilet, so I was happy. However, he continued to put TP in his pants for the entire.next.week. Of course it would fall out and my mom, grandmother of the year, would laugh hysterically. Needless to say, DS is traumatized. Now, we've been home since Saturday afternoon, and he has spent about an hour combined on the toilet each day. Two days ago he went to his best friend's house and asked me to tell the mom about his issue. I did, and don't you know he spent 35 minutes on the toilet at their house. My best guess is that he's terrified of having another accident, so he sits on the toilet forever trying to make whatever he can come out. I've banned the TP in the undies. The last thing he needs is to have it fall out at school. I don't know what to do to help this poor kid! He's totally obsessed with trying to poop and spending way too  much time addressing it every day. He doesn't even want to leave the house anymore. Ladies, help!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#131 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Towson, would the reassurance of a pantyliner help get him over the hump with his fear? I would offer a limited supply (5?8?) an explain that he can use one as "back-up" but if there are no accidents in X days he'll have the confidence that he is safe again.

RM, lots of prayers for you and your family.

sparkle, I hope the therapy continues to be helpful and insightful. Family/sibling dynamics are so intense- my husband and I are both eldests of three who have ongoing struggles with the middles in our respective families, even as adults. This is not helped by the fact that both middles have learning disabilities and patterns of reacting strongly/adversarially to any hint of "older sibling advice".

GI system is in rebellion. I briefly contemplated an emergency room visit, but as long as I don't eat the pain is mostly tolerable. Green tea and Gatorade are currently keeping me well enough hydrated. Both kids were picky at dinner, which was unfortunately my first symptom yesterday. I take back everything I said about Chlorox wipes.

#132 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 PM

Towson, is he having daily regular bowel movements w/o other tummy upset? If so, I might start by saying vacation food can wreck havoc on one's digestion and now that you are home things should go back to normal. If he is still having loose stools or other problems I would think those need addressing before his confidence can be restored.

Lisa, many hugs to your family.

Gaye, I am so excited for you! How much fun is it to have someone interested?!

Mel, feel better soon! I hope the girls are safe from too much tummy upset.

Sparkle, I am avidly following what you have to say about your son. Greater understanding on the part of you or him will help you both and anything you share helps the rest of us. innocent.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#133 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM

It occurred to me today. Major anxiety onset this summer was coincident with returning to bcp usage (because my periods were super heavy and I had low iron). Anyone have any btdt type tales? Could it be related? I have a call in to my physician. Worrying about my family members is one thing obsessing is another and this has crossed the pathologic line.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#134 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM

Kerc - um, yeah innocent.gif not with bcp's but hormone-changes related anxiety. I think it could be related ...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#135 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 PM

I am low on advice - just soaking up the dingo wisdom. Hugs to you all. grouphug.gif

Sparkle, I'm fascinated by the insight you already have from one visit. What a lucky kid! (I could talk about being married to the guy whose big sister was just that smart, competitive, perfect, etc. So, really, nice job intervening at such a young age!)

RM, hug.gif I hope you're getting some time to take care of yourself during this difficult time!

TJSMAMA, your reports sound so much fun!

Towson, I don't have any advice. Poor guy. hug.gif

Kerc, I haven't used bc since my, ahem, college days so I don't know about the anxiety connection. I know that the anxiety and hormone connection, in general, sux. Good luck!

Mel!, yum, I want pancakes for supper.

Good luck to all of you heading back to school. We started early but with all interruptions, it has backfired and now my kids are just pi$$ed and so am I. I already need a break. Gah. I need to chill. Anxiety much? I have a feeling this year's struggle will be irt letting go. Which scares me.

So many doc visits. Getting some answers tomorrow. fingersx.gif

I want at least 2 weeks in my own bed or I'm running away. To Alaska. It'll take me about 10 days to get there, I figure, and since it'll get cold soon I need to get those 2 weeks soon or hit the road.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#136 of 317 Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

real~$88. And good for R! Hooray!

rm~He's 8 years older. I don't really see it as that big a deal, but it seems to be worrying him that I do!

towson~No advice, but lots of grouphug.gif for you and DS.

kerc and melw~Hope the tummy bugs are on their way out. Blech. goodvibes.gif

I got the absolutely sweetest note from a former patient today in my mailbox. Actually, you guys may remember the twins that I took care of four nights in a row a few weeks back...their mom wrote me the *best* thank you note. It made me tear up right at the nurse's station. I really needed that, after getting fired by my patient last weekend. We get crapped on so much and don't even get as much as a thank you half the time, so when somebody makes sure that you know that they appreciated your work, it means the world. stillheart.gif

rr part deux (kind of)~Week 1, day 2 of my push-up and sit-up programs. And probably 300ish yards in the pool during adult swim. orngtongue.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#137 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 AM

lofty--hope you get answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

True confessions of a hospital nurse: I love the cancer-causing caviwipes we use on everything in the hospital. I would totally steal a box and bring them home. I love that chemical "clean" smell they impart to everything. bag.gif
This cracked me up. Also, yay for a great run and nice text messages!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

I haven't had to buy a car in nine years and I love no payments. This week I have been driving my in-laws hybrid and I am loving the gas savings!
It's been 11 for us.

kerc--I just bought a jumbo pack of bleach wipes at Costco. One or two are going to the school, but I won't hesitate to whip out the rest when the germs arrive. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

Mel--hope you're feeling better now.

sparkle--glad there were insights, and hopefully more to come.

RR: 10 on the bike, 3 on the treadmill. Yawn.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#138 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 03:35 AM

Hi all. I used to be part of this group eons ago. Even participated in the inaugural super hot Dingo camping weekend. Once a Dingo, always a Dingo right? I got remarried last summer amongst a ton of other changes. My youngest ds is 9yrs, also have dd who is 11 and dss who is 16. We are now expecting our first together, 18 weeks pregnant today. Starting over completely. Still running, swimming, biking right now, imagining how I am going to fit it all in again post baby. I'll be trying to catch up on all the new faces.

Kerc- Yes yes on hormonal BCP and increased anxiety. I have experienced and had many other women share the same story.

RM- Much love your way in these times!
#139 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Welcome back 2BB.  Congrats again!

I'm not complaining about a cool summer, but ...  It's 52F out and the addition is still not closed up (no roof yet, so no soffits), but they've helpfully already removed the door between the kitchen and the rest of the house.  So, my living room is now 52F.

DS is googling about the weights of WWII bombs and the carrying capacity of the bomber planes.  Time for school to start. 

Interesting insights, Sparkle.  I think you need to come on several runs with me and my RP.  She's been working through many of the same things, including the same gender/age differences.  Is there something that you can find for just DS?  Let him excel in something that's just his, and not have his sister join and show him up again?  We're noting the opposite around here, as DD is noting the DS is about ready to pass her in certain skills.  We need to figure out how to deal with that bit.

Hope all the tummies settle.

#140 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 AM

2BBs, welcome back! You really threw me for a loop with that belly shot! I think it is just lovely. And wow, on starting over! 

MelW, is your tummy coming back? Did the kids come down with it too? We are usually lucky with non-upper-respiratory things not making the full rounds (unless we are in North Africa and it's a completely different beast, of course). Get some Clorox wipes. winky.gif

sparkle, I have to say you are pretty astute with the whats-up on ds. I think you are onto something, and maybe just making sure he has a few of his "own" places in the world (sport, maybe subject in school or hobby) will go a long way.

Plady, wondering how things are going in the snacking world at your house. I got the hungries yesterday and it wasn't fun, and I thought about the whole thing with just a lot of empathy.

RM, hugs to you and your family. I hope this road with FIL becomes more peaceful than painful. It sounds difficult and I wish your family peace. At the same time happy to hear you have not added another autoimmune dx yourself. Wish you health.

Lofty, thinking of you. We kick things off here with standardized testing, so yeah, people start pretty angry. I am trying to be patient.

kerc, I went on bcp last summer to treat what seemed to be hormone-related anxiety (of the PMDD family variety it would seem). Getting re-regulated seemed to really work on me, so it would only stand to reason (IMO) that the opposite should happen, especially given you didn't have the anxiety before introducing bcp. Mirena solved period problems for me...but at the 3.5 years mark it seems the hormone drops to a point that it no longer suppresses Oing for me, and thus the adventures of last year's anxiety and a month using benzos (which are great for anxiety but, you know...).

towson, mommajb makes an excellent point on making sure things are back entirely in working order before expecting restored confidence. Beyond that, I really don't know. Kids can really have some moments when it comes to the bathroom. I know my ds at that age avoided public toilets like almost an aversion for a while. I hope he's back to normal fast.

Got some DOMS in the shoulders from the burpees, yo. Going to take dd to the pool for our workout today. I am being taken out for bday lunch and of course worried about Whole 30 compliance, but not really all that worried, since this seems to be one of those that is clicking into place pretty easily. Today is Day 3 already and it just all makes sense. Also my intestines are feeling better already, and the screaming acne patch on my chin has begun to recede in the absence of dairy.

Did I mention dh sent flowers for my bday? Big flowers. With chocolate, of course, which I will feed to someone else because even when not on a whole 30, that kind of chocolate is not in my best interest.

In other news, the writing I have been doing (handwritten free-writing type exercises in a notebook) is giving me tendonitis in my writing hand. How lame is that? I am almost through the exercises and will be switching back to the laptop, but there is a spot at the base of my thumb that is so weak and painful. Youch.

In still other news, mamming the grams next week.

#141 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Geo - well thats the thing; DS can and does surpass her (see the GT designation. Ive always thought he was GT in the true sense, as in strangely smart and emotionally challenged. She's in 5th, he's in third, and he is neck-and-neck with her in math, which makes her strive all the harder, and be sure to demonstrate to him when SHE is right instead of the other way around. he just 'gets' math ... and school in general ..., she has to work, and does). He does soccer, and he is obsessed with legos - the kind that you build and program in the computer. He wants to get The Robey house (sp?) - a Frank Loyd Wright replica with a bajillion pieces that involves architectural planning or something. I certainly think engineering of some kind should be in his future, and his is forte, but he generally hates working in groups ....

Lofty - goodvibes.gif. May things settle soon

2BB - Welcome back!

Gaye - I dont think 8 years is anything! Once everyone is over 30, then 20 year differences become ok lol.gif (see my crush on the professor blush.giflol.gif)

RR: 20 min. run to gym, 25 HIIT on the bike, 20 min. sprint/walk on the TM, and 20 minutes run home faint.gif

NRR: life ....

#142 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Morning mamas!  So much happening here that I want to chime in on, if only to say yeahthat.gif

2BBs!  Welcome back!  You're going to need an update to that username now!  :)

Towson - I agree with the fixing the problem and then I like the idea of the back-up pantiliners.  What if they were magic?

Sparkle - Awesome insight.  Like Geo I've just been realizing that we've got the opposite happening here.  But knowing is a good start right?  Figuring out something that can be solely theirs feels right but then how do you keep the other one away from that activity/interest/sport/skill without feeling like a mean old experience withholder?  That's my quandry, but I definitely see the need for differentiation.  I am glad that there is a 6 year age difference, even though it's obvious that the little one is more adept in many things at least they aren't in each other's faces all the time.

Jo - Snacking - I'm pushing nuts, and cod liver oil (yum! what a fun mom I am!).  This is Fair Week on the island and all anyone talks about it the fair food.  Like it's not hard enough to make good choices the rest of the time right?  Now we have to contend with 'everyone' walking around eating cotton candy and elephant ears. crap.gif 

MelW - I hope the kids are dodging the bullet!  And that you are coming back online.  

RM - Sending prayers for some form of resolution soon, and for you to find an open time to take care of yourself.

Real - Congrats on the great new car!  I've never bought a new car but dh and I have bought plenty of used ones.  I'm always happy not having payments to make but I do find hybrids alluring.

Kerc - Hormones seem like they could certainly be influential enough to push something from normal to pathological.  hug2.gif

Geo - I love the idea of you writing that book.  I wouldn't know where to start but I believe in you no question.  Hope you can get something to keep out the chill, at least at those temps bugs are less awful aren't they?  At least that's how we all consoled ourselves last night at the fair in the cold rain, the day before we'd been getting attacked by yellow jackets but last night they were nowhere to be found.

Lofty - Hope you find the rhythm again soon.

Gaye - 8 years isn't so much, especially if he's fit.  I'm enjoying the thrill of new attraction vicariously, keep it up!   And yay for the nice thank you!

RR: Notsomuch.  I swam laps for 30 minutes on Monday and paddled around a lake for 45 or so on Tuesday and now my hip is flaring up again.  I was hoping/planning to do this 8.8k walk/run with dd1 on Saturday but now I think that it would end up crippling me too much for the following week of camping and surfing I'm planning on enjoying.  I haven't done a push up in a week or more and generally am feeling like a blobby slothy weakling.  I think I really need school to start.  And I wish we could have some sort of EMP event that would knock out all the screens on the island for a few weeks so we could all tear ourselves away from them and get something done in the real world.  

#143 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM

jo, hooray for Whole 30 and the writing, and I hope the thumb heals quickly. 

sparkle, you are quietly becoming a machine with your recent workouts! I love how you casually slip in an RR of epic proportions.

wave.gif2BB. I'm one of the newer dingoes :)

Geo, I was thinking about real's question about blogging about your expertise. I know from the publishing world that bloggers with massive followings have an easy time getting book deals, but publishers want the majority of content in the book to be new and non-published, non-free content. I know a couple of freelancers who have stopped or limited their blogging because they were having trouble selling articles if they had similar content available for free. That said, it sounds like you have a ton of content. I agree with Jo's advice about the page/word count being somewhat irrelevant and the need for stories and sidebars to fill out any non-fiction book.

gut-related: I think I'm on the mend. The pain and bowel symptoms are much less today. The husband and kids seem fine. Yesterday evening involved the most painful thing I have experienced since labour, though the severe pains were usually about an hour apart. I had decided to go to the hospital if they didn't stop by bedtime, and on cue it settled around 10:30 for 5 solid hours of sleep. I also learned that I am remarkably good at hiding illness from my family, since after I put the kids to bed and told my husband that I was contemplating the hospital he was shocked. I had been curling up on the bathroom floor with a hotpack and moaning in privacy for 5-10 minutes at a time. This is pretty much exactly where I hid out during labour, too. I don't do pain in public. 

RR- Friends are coming over to go for a short hike this morning. I'm a bit nervous about being so far from the toilet, but the forest is very private and they are very relaxed people. I need to get outside, and the kids need it even more. 

#144 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 12:07 PM

On blogging:  I had a blog, but I kept a lot of the GT and school issues out of it.  For a book, I also need to become clear on how private I want to be about my kids.  I also have notes on things like the hour I spent on the phone yesterday with a college friend who's scared her son will get kicked out of kindergarten.  At this point I have notes, and I know that if things proceed, I can ask her permission to use the story without names.  It's harder with a blog.  Or at least, it's a lot more of a pain to get that stuff done in a timely manner.  The other issue with a blog is that this stuff is getting written mostly during phone conferences without agendas.  That means I might be lucky enough to go a few months without working on the project. 

For word count, I mostly want it as a guide for how much to take on.  I'm contemplating the most limited scope (how to get things for your kid, not taking on larger issues of how the school works), but if it's too short, then I could expand it in places.  Mostly, it's stuff I wish I had known when we realized we had an issue.

DD has pushed every last button today, straight down to not eating 2/3 of the lunch I bought her, and now, 2 hours later, asking to eat toast. 

RR: weather is great.  RPs keep cancelling.  I'm also exhausted, going to bed an hour earlier than usual, and sleeping in.  Everything ramps back up next week, so I've got to get my energy levels back.

#145 of 317 Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 PM

Geo--if you started a new blog with this in mind (which would be my recommendation), it would have to be different, and preferably, more "everyday" kind of content, probably with a lighter feel. Perhaps you could use it to write about questions or thoughts you have regarding what K-8 (12?) education should be for kids (either concretely as in content covered, or more abstractly in what education is anyhow). Same goes for issues like how to accommodate kids, ideal class sizes for differentiation, what an ideal classroom might look like (or what an ideal classroom might look like for two different abstract children or your own. Maybe there would be two different ideals or more). That would allow you to largely keep your children out of it, or at least most personal details. It might also invite commentary from readers and that of course, could be used in your book (with permission of course). Another route would be to feature vignettes about your kids that again wouldn't have to violate their privacy but hint at some of the challenges of raising children with diverse educational needs. Those could be fairly short, and perhaps just based on a comment your kids made that was funny. If you went that route, you could also include as many personal stories about your own childhood or unique challenges (and perhaps Mr. Geo's too?), if you felt so inclined. That route would probably need to include pictures (of things, not necessarily children...or if of children, I've seen some only include the backs of their children as they work on a project). That kind of "slice of life" stuff is fun to read and you can intersperse upcoming challenges or small successes as short posts too. Heck, you could include recipes as an occasional post too, for busy families needing quick meals and why this meal works for your family and especially the kids and their own nutritional and sensory needs. ETA: you could also intersperse some of your own thoughts about higher education and diverse learning needs, without identifying specific students and such. That would be a nice tie-in. It would allow for a number of posts that won't be covered in your book at all but which would help establish your credentials as someone who knows about education.

You'd also want to capitalize on internet searches because the blog is your best marketing tool, but that's a whole other ball of wax. If you start one, I'll send a PM about some of that stuff. I learned more than I ever wanted to know during the mill/bond campaign last year, and I think we barely broke the surface.

Blogs and any kind of regular writing is a PITA, but then again, you already have a track record of success when it comes to publishing and this will be easier. Blog posts don't have to be long (iirc, internet optimization only requires 300 words, though 500 is better).

MelW--hope you had a good hike.

RR: taking a rest day. I'm exhausted.

NRR: the dead car has been taken care of. Phew! We donated it to Colorado Public Radio, and they called late yesterday to schedule a pickup this morning. We dragged the whole family up to Idaho Springs, emptied everything we could find out of the car (quarters! sunglasses I didn't remember I had! the topographic map I just bought that was hidden between the seats after we hiked Rabbit Ears Pass two weeks ago!), moved the cargo box to the Outback and went home. R was in tears, and J along with her (mostly because R was in tears, I think), but ah well. Now we just need to rework the budget. We were very lucky because we had the ability to just write a check for the car, but it took a huge chunk out of our savings. (Yes, I know we'd been saving so we could get a new car when we needed one, but that's a painful check to write!) Since I don't have a paycheck this fall, we need to account for that the (albeit paltry) amount I won't have coming in and try to rebuild the savings at the same time. Mostly, I think I should try to get a seasonal job at Target...or just give up on academia and see what else is out there....

#146 of 317 Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the advice. I asked DS if I could see the toilet before he flushes from now on. I was really hoping to minimize this and have it disappear, but no dice. On the upside, he thinks it's hilarious that I want to look at his poop and seems to oddly relish the attention. shrug.gif So far he's only had a tiny pellet or two. (I can not believe this is such an issue in my life right now that I'm posting about my son's bowel movements online. Seriously?!?)

gaye~I'm loving the DR's! I want to get a fun text during a long run!!

kerc~Your thoughts about anxiety seem spot on to me. Hope you get it figured out.

2bbs~Welcome back!

rm~Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

geo~As someone who has worked in Special Ed for fourteen years, I'm fascinated by your book idea.

real~Congrats on the new car!

lofty~I want to run with you and talk about education. That sounds so perfect.

melw~Are you feeling better? Those stomach pains sound like a doozy.

jo/sparkle/plady~wave.gif

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#147 of 317 Old 08-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Townson ~ what kind of special ed do you do?  Last year, DD interacted with 13 different adults at least as part of her schooling.  I never thought I'd ever be in this deep into the schooling world.

RR ~ my RP is still dealing with digestive issues.  It was fabulous weather, but we just walked.  Still, it's good to just get out.  We ended up coming across a welcome home banner for a classmate of DD's who went out of state for a medical procedure last spring.  The "best case" was that he'd be home no earlier than early September, but it was likely to be longer.  He made it home 2 weeks or so earlier than the best case, which means he can hopefully start school with his classmates next week.  Good news about good kids makes me so happy.

Construction continues.  I like the contractors.  I wish they wouldn't subcontract.  The electrician left quite a bit to be desired.

#148 of 317 Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 AM

2bbs ~ welcome back! I remember you! Congratulations on your pregnancy smile.gif.

towson ~ is he constipated? If it's only "poop pellets" maybe he's impacted and that's what caused the "accident".

real ~ thank goodness the car ordeal is over. I've also thought about getting some "seasonal work" at Target or something like that too. Somewhere the employee discout would come in handy! I hope you find a job in academia though. I know it's your love. In the meantime, could you do piano lessons? Organ lessons? Teach music through your local parks and rec department?

Geo - I really think your book idea has a lot of merit. Real has some great ideas too.

MelW - glad you're feeling better.

lofty - I'd love to chat education with you too! And books! Hope your doctor's appointment went well.

Plady - question on no snacking: do you eat huge meals? I'm really struggling with being ravenously hungry between lunch and dinner. Not just "habit" hungry, but stomach gnawing, lightheaded, crab-tacular mood hungry. Maybe I need more for lunch, especially more protein.

tjsmama - 8 years is nothing! My parents are 9 years apart and my MIL and FIL were 15 years apart. Aside from the risk of your partner dying before you, I see nothing wrong with that kind of age difference. Keep those DRs coming smile.gif.

jooj - how's the Whole30 going? I'm rocking Day 4 here and feeling great!

RR - I did a yoga class yesterday and really liked it. It was "flow" so lots of movement from pose to pose. Definitely more interesting than the class I took back in Indiana. It also helped my hip to feel better. Today I have Rip Fit again. That class is finding muscles I never knew I had, especially in my shoulders and upper back.

NRR - the first few days of school have gone well. Both girls are happy in their classrooms. DS is getting used to switching classrooms, and getting stuff from his locker, and meeting all the kids from other elementary schools who now go to his Jr. High. He seems happy and is really enjoying playing soccer on the school team. He's only one of 4 6th graders on the team. DH is enjoying his last furlough day at home. While I missed the $$, I really have liked having an extra day with him each week.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#149 of 317 Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 AM

Hi all,

Will try to post a bit more later. Back from vacation. The dynamics with dh weren't too bad, actually even bordered on good a few times. The Vineyard was as usual, sublime. I love it there, but I would not want to live there. Does that make sense? First day we had a long nature walk, and then a Presidential sighting (in the rain) which was Very. Cool. He waved at us from his SUV after getting in from eating lunch (saw him outside the truck also) when they drove right by in front of us (streets are narrow, so he was probably less than 10 ft. away). That was Tuesday (dd2's bday). Wednesday we spent the morning on a working nonprofit educational farm, taking a tour and doing some gardening in the Peace Garden, then went to a playground (great find!), then watched the horseback lessons on the farm where we stayed (more on that later, then went to Menemsha Pond (an inlet on the southwestern corner of the island) to watch the sunset and go wading. Yesterday also fun -- did Adopt-a-Highway road cleanup by the beach (dh's triathlon company adopted the section of road so we do garbage collection there once a month in the summer) which attracted a lot of positive attention to the trash by passersby and was good for the kids, then went to the Agricultural Fair. Which is so cute and silly but so much fun, we try to go each summer -- one side is a carnival with rides, one side is the whole 4H animal shows, etc., a fiber arts tent with animals and demonstrations of shearing, spinning, weaving, dyeing, knitting, etc. and then the bazaar area where you can get odd carnival (and also healthy) food, odds and ends/knicknacks, useless souvenirs, glass art, and henna tatoos (which I got one! a floral anklet!).

Ds' favorite carny food? Pickle on a stick. (I should charge him $1 every time I give him a pickle and put it on a popsicle stick. It would make me rich, quick. lol.gif ) 

We stayed at this unbelievable horse farm in south central MV. The cottage where we stayed, and the horse barn/ring etc. is owned by a family whose son I had as a student this past year; I tutored him extra a lot and became very close with him and his mom. Instead of paying me cash, they gave us the use of their cottage for the week. It's a huge place (and more than one owner I think -- there was a sheep pasture on the other side of the barn road, same farm name but other owners). Outside the cottage (small but cozy) we stayed in were several horse pastures, going down to a boathouse and then the pond (what they call ocean inlets in MV). The horse barn and jumping/riding ring were also next to the cottage but behind some trees. There were horses all over the place, including in the yard right in front of and in back of the house -- they're used to wandering around. I woke up to horse snuffling outside my window. LOL The kids were in heaven petting the horses, etc. There was a baby pony named Harry Potter who followed us around like a dog. So. Cute. Only drawback was the large amount of horse poop everywhere...truly an obstacle hazard! Ha. Other small pleasures...a full clothesline where I could hang the wash right in the sunny breeze. I haven't had that in so long since when we rent (which we have for 4 years now) the owners never want to let us install a good clothesline.

Photos of the farm are up on facebook but I'll try to post a couple here once my phone cooperates with emailing them to myself.

RR: 6 total miles of run/walking while on the Island, and 6 mile run today. Hoping to do Providence RnR Half Marathon on Sep. 29th. Can you put that one up for me Mel?

blowkiss.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#150 of 317 Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Plady - question on no snacking: do you eat huge meals? I'm really struggling with being ravenously hungry between lunch and dinner. Not just "habit" hungry, but stomach gnawing, lightheaded, crab-tacular mood hungry. Maybe I need more for lunch, especially more protein.

Maybe more fat?  Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: 2-3 scrambled eggs in butter, 2 cups coffee, spoonful of coconut oil (sometimes with pb)

Lunch: Some sort of leftover meat with a big handful of salad mix/ or a couple handfuls of nuts on salad.  Piece of fruit.  Maybe cottage cheese instead.

Dinner: Big salad with as many veggies as i have with piece of grilled meat. 

Snacks: scoop of coconut oil/nut butter, nuts.  

It looks sort of boring when I write it out but that's the gist.  I'm not usually in my kitchen between meals which is probably a good thing, I definitely snack more when I'm home all day.  

Quote:<

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Ds' favorite carny food? Pickle on a stick. (I should charge him $1 every time I give him a pickle and put it on a popsicle stick. It would make me rich, quick. lol.gif ) 

Ah the MV Ag Fair, I have sweet memories of romantic teenage nights on that ferris wheel. happytears.gif  And the fiddle contests.  And Illumination Night.  I love that island but I wonder how different it is now from what I remember.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page