Running back to school with the Dingos: August 2013 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 317 Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Morning mamas

MelW - Continuing to send goodvibes.gif health and healing vibes at you.  

Gaye - Hope your goggles show up. And that today's race is all fun.

Real - Hoping the swim was short! :)

Thanks for the book recs, I'm reading a Neil Gaiman right now and enjoying it thoroughly.  I feel a little self-conscious about reading young adult fiction during the rare times when I have a chance to read anything for myself but I can get into and through them in the time I have so much more satisfyingly than more sophisticated stuff.  I keep telling myself that someday when I don't read bedtime stories to anyone else I'll catch up on all the thousands of novels and non-fiction that I've been missing all these years.

Mel38 - I'd probably be fine with the walk.  I send my kids (together or just the 11yo) all over town on foot.  Granted it's a small town and they know that nearly every other building is a place where there is an adult they could ask for help, but still, I think it's important they learn to feel that walking a mile or thereabouts is not the end of the world but totally manageable.  And I think that sometimes we parents just need to stifle the anxiety that watching the nightly news can cause and let our kids' leashes run a little longer than we're comfortable with.

I'd better go, my brother called and left no real message yesterday so I called him back this morning (there's an 8 hr time diff so it's a little hard to know when a good time to call is) and it sounded like as soon as I said my name he hung up.  Dh thinks that's overly paranoid of me and wants me to try again but it makes my stomach hurt because I have no reason to believe my brother isn't going to blast me for something, being too nice to my dad, being too distant from him, who knows?  So maybe I should try one more time and then I really need to pack for this camping trip!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#182 of 317 Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

sparkle~ I'm ROTFLMAO.gif over your frosty mug.

I am quite irritated at Garmin Connect right now, since it has decided not to upload my multisport files from yesterday and today. Which I wouldn't care about, except our fitness incentive plan for work requires that I upload my files in order to count toward my monthly workout quota, and if I can't get them off my Garmin...grr. irked.gif Dailymile is having no problems with them, so it's not like the files are corrupt or anything.

Anyway, on to today's race. It was fun! And short! And fun! It was so much more relaxed this morning than yesterday. It took me forever to find real in the pretty darn small transition area, for some reason, even though I found all my other friends pretty quickly. I would say it's because she's so short winky.gif, but my friend Randi isn't much taller and I managed to find her. orngtongue.gif We walked down to the water together and warmed up (i.e. made sure my goggles didn't leak, because why on earth would I warm up for a race?) before we split up into our separate portions of the time trial line. For some reason, I got a lot more contact on the swim today than yesterday, not sure why. My sighting was pretty good, and I only got off slightly once, after the turn. After yesterday's1500 m (or less!) swim, today's 500 m seemed super short! Only two buoys before we got to turn back to the beach. I managed to fall on my butt right in front of the wetsuit strippers, but it was all good since I needed to get on the ground to get stripped anyway!

The bike was pretty uneventful. I felt like I rode pretty hard, but my legs were definitely tired after yesterday. The turnaround came amazingly quick, and we got to head back into the headwind back to the park. According to my Garmin, I went marginally faster on the bike today vs. yesterday, so I guess that's something! Out onto the run...where I felt a little rough at the beginning, but hit a pretty good groove by about 1/2 mile in. I just did not want to walk on this run. I kept telling myself, it's just a 5k, suck it up. And really, I felt pretty good. Not outstanding, but pretty good. After yesterday's long course on the run, it was kind of awesome to have today's run be about a tenth short. Again, no official times yet (and they still haven't posted yesterday's official results), but I was definitely under 10 min pace for the run, which while not fast, was certainly respectable for me.

We got some awesome gear...a really nice embroidered long sleeve T, a pocket knife (headscratch.gif), and the back to back racers got a nice embroidered zip-up hoody. If I wasn't doing IM next year, I would totally do the back to back again. It was challenging, but fun. And having the sprint today just made life happy. orngbiggrin.gif

Time for a nap...on-call tonight, and before that, we have dinner plans with friends (where DS will have a sleepover while I'm on call). I was going to try to make something to take over, but I think the grocery store will have to do the cooking... bag.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#183 of 317 Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

p.s. Big sale at SkirtSports right now...lots of great deals. Yes, I am a total addict, why do you ask? bag.gif https://www.skirtsports.com/shop/sale.cfm

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#184 of 317 Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Gaye, the one time I wore a wetsuit, I would have liked a pocketknife. For removal. Great job! And I hope you can get the files to load. irked.gif

Plady, did you try again? I am not sure what I would do, really, and my stomach would hurt too. hug2.gif

Walked 11 miles with Reb this morning. There were a couple of jogs in there, but nothing measurable. And then her endo cranked way up about 2 miles from the end. Some rough going. And next time, I definitely need it to be a run. I think the walking just gets so hard on the back.

Tomorrow I am spending the day watching my sister's kids. If I am smart I will get up early and run before that. And if I am lucky I will spend time writing at her house (older kids, hopefully not too much "watching").

Now off to check a sale...2whistle.gif I discovered the joy of packing cubes yesterday. I have so much less anxiey now than I had earlier.

#185 of 317 Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Gaye, the one time I wore a wetsuit, I would have liked a pocketknife. For removal.

lol.gif Glad you got a decent run with Reb today.

JayGee--that sounds very, very fun. There was a period of time when I wanted to be a children's librarian (basically, the six years I spent working in libraries in high school and college). I decided not to pursue it because it required a master's degree and I was opposed to going to grad school. The irony, it burns! Needless to say, by the time I decided I was going to grad school, it was definitely going to be in music probably both due to the major and the fact that I'd been working in the music library for four years.

Mel38--I think both kerc and geo recommended it? I read it after the Dingo discussion and enjoyed it too.

tjsmama--DH is doing that incentive too, but he's only using a Fitbit. I've had a few occasions where Garmin Connect doesn't seem to record the files for 24 hours or so, and then they show up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your files.

RR: Got up at dark o'clock and made my way to the reservoir. My parents used to live out that way (only about 45 minutes further southeast), which was good because at least I was vaguely familiar with that area in the dark, mostly from years of being too cheap to take the toll road. Got set up, kept looking around for tjsmama, and finally decided it would probably be a good idea to get my phone which I'd left in the car. She'd texted 3 minutes earlier. I warmed up both to make sure my googles wouldn't leak and because I'd never swam (swum? I never learned that one properly) in a wetsuit before and barely did an open-water swim a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy to report that (a) it was no big deal, and (b) the water was considerably warmer than it was in Lake Granby, the site of my short and only open-water swim, largely due to the fact that it was freezing in that water and I was only wearing a swimsuit. DH swims in it, but he also has a generous layer of padding. orngtongue.gif

The swim: I don't swim in a straight line or even close. The swim was a V-shape. Here's my swim:
9541746761_3c778e22a4.jpg
swim by realrellim, on Flickr

The turnaround point in the picture is actually where it was because I breaststroked around the turn to keep myself on course. But you can see where we left the beach (ignore the "starting point" because I accidentally started my Garmin there while waiting) and where we finished, and all of my forays into other (more interesting?) swimming territory. lol.gif Anyhow, I never felt panicked but I couldn't quite get into a rhythm and the few times I got close I was swimming out to sea. Also, I kept getting really out of breath because my asthma flares a bit in August. Since it was my first open-water tri, there was no point in pushing all that hard, and I ended up doing a 5-10 strokes of freestyle, sighting, discovering I was swimming away from the buoys, and eventually doing the breaststroke to put myself back on course because more freestyle seemed to have the effect of taking me back out despite my attempts to correct course. And my kicking was pretty lame, I think because I have to really focus when I'm swimming and the kicking portion of the brain was taken up by making sure I wasn't try to sneak past the kayakers and out to sea. lol.gif

I came up out of the water and managed to unzip the wetsuit but couldn't quite get it over my wrists. Eventually I did and let the strippers take care of the rest. Did the wussy-feet jog up to transition (the path was marvelously clear of stones and debris, but I don't like running barefoot on anything), but at least it was a jog. Took my time in transition (like 3 minutes worth!) but felt set for the ride when I headed out.

The ride: was fine. I don't really know quite how hard I can push on the bike, so I decided to again, just take it hill by hill. The ride was an awful lot like what I do at home around the lake, though with a tad more climbing, and honestly, I really, really love being able to ride on the road without cars. I passed a few people--some who weren't on mountain bikes even!--and got passed by a lot of serious-looking athletes with tri bikes. The climb back in wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It was 2 miles of more or less uphill, but it was pretty gradual. The Garmin said my speed was something like 15.7 mph, which is slow for tjsmama but a great pace for me on the hills.

Transition 2: I probably should get lace locks or actually install the little elastic laces I bought last week. But I'm really picky about how my running shoes are tied so I took the time to tie them. bag.gif

The run: about 100 yards into it I realized I'd left my inhaler on the bike. Decided to suck it up, pretty much literally, and reminded myself that I've occasionally forgotten it before and if I can find a good pace I'll be fine. Glanced at my Garmin and it told me I was running at a 12-minute pace despite the fact that I was breathing quite heavily. Ugh. Decided to ignore the Garmin because I was pretty sure I was moving faster than that. Instead, I passed people which is, of course, my favorite part. Tjsmama passed me before I hit the one-mile mark (she'd passed me on the bike when I was about 2 miles in) and she looked great. And then my mile split told me I'd run an 8:20 mile so that was good. I finished the run in 26:08ish, which was cool because it means a sub-9 pace.

Overall, it was fun and enjoyable--except for the run where I am competitive and more interested in running hard and fast than enjoying it. lol.gif Maybe with time I'll becoming more competitive on the bike. I don't think I'll ever do that for the swim. Honestly, it was a much more pleasant swim than either of the pool tris I did a couple of years ago, and I think part of it was the fact that if I stopped to sight or adjust my goggles I didn't have to struggle to stay on top of the water. There's never been a time in my life when I haven't sunk like a stone unless I was treading water, so it was so incredibly awesome to be in deep water not have to work so hard to stay on top of it when I needed to stop stroking for a minute. Tjsmama has sold me on wetsuits and the added buoyancy! Now I will stalk Craigslist until I can find one cheap.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#186 of 317 Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 PM

Congrats Gaye and Real!! I hope you get some rest and a not-too-crazy night if you're called in, Gaye.

jo, good luck with the early morning run.

I get to meet Plady in a couple of days!! Safe travels!

I'm feeling so much better this afternoon. In a phone consult this morning, the TCM doctor and I decided against more acupuncture today. My bowels seem to be settling, and I'm building my way back up to eating more normal foods and more normal amounts. The kids went to friends houses mid-day so I could nap, and I even worked up the energy to vacuum part of the house after my nap. Caring about the floors being dirty is a good sign, I think. I have also spent this evening prepping my class for the fall instead of half asleep watching netflix. I think I'll call my family doctor tomorrow to go in for a review- she's likely to be a bit more thorough than the walk-in clinic doctor I saw on Saturday, and she'll have some lab results. 

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#187 of 317 Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 AM

Gaye and Real - congratulations to you both on great races this weekend! Gaye, the back-to-back Oly/Sprint is quite an accomplishment! Real, was that your first tri? I can't remember. The map of your swim cracked me up! Nice job to you both smile.gif.

MelW - so glad you're feeling better. I hope your family doc can shed some light on what caused your misery.

Plady - there is no shame in reading YA fiction wink1.gif.

RR - my glute med is hurting badly this morning, so I am just going to walk after my eye doctor appointment rather than going to Rip Fit. It's the same pain I had last year when the muscle tore, so I need to take it easy (even if I don't want to).

NRR - DD2 has the first cold of the school year (gee, that only took 3 days rolleyes.gif). DS has his first soccer game tonight with the school team.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#188 of 317 Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

melw~Glad you're feeling better! Hope you stay on the upward swing!

Forgot to mention that I did get my goggles back yesterday, joy.gif

I didn't get called in last night, and thank goodness. I slept HARD last night, and I am sore this morning, for some reason. redface.gif Of course, I work the next three and DS doesn't want to let me take a nap today, so we'll see how that goes...

Official results are up:
Olympic:
Swim 32:32
T1 00:58
Bike 1:32:19
T2 01:22
Run 1:15:58 irked.gif
Total: 3:23:10

Sprint
Swim 11:41
T1 01:04
Bike 44:02
T2 01:08
Run 29:44
Total 1:27:39

The only thing I'm unhappy with is that stupid run on Saturday! Although the more I hear from people about how hot it really was on Saturday, the more I feel (slightly) better about it. But not really. And I had some pretty smoking transition times. Of course, transition was the size of a postage stamp, so that didn't hurt. orngtongue.gif

#189 of 317 Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Real & Gaye- way to go!!

RR: feeling almost normal. Got 6 miles on the TM.

NRR: loads of stuff to do this week.
#190 of 317 Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Gaye and Real, Awesome reports! clap.gif Love living awesome races vicariously through you!

Mel38, Cutting for Stone: took me 3 summers go get past a "wall" in the book and then this summer I got past it and loved it, really, really, really loved it. Still think about it and even think about reading it again. Which I don't do.

JG, Everytime I see this --> Abundance of Katherines, I start singing this in my head --> "All those tremendous brunettes around, all those tremendous brunettes..." (Mike Doughty) Doesn't make sense, but I just keeping doing it. Even at the bookstore. lol.gif Hope dd feels better soon. Hope ds has a great swim. Hope YOU don't hurt yourself!

RM, good luck with so much on your plate!

Plady, Did you talk to your bro? Right now, I love YA fiction.

MelW, glad you're feeling slightly better but I really hope you get some answers soon...

Jooj, not sure what packing cubes are. Glad you and Reb got in 11 miles!

Sparkle, easy on the toes, girl!

RR: went out to meet RP yesterday but she had a last-minute cancellation. Since I was already out, I went solo which was nice but also b/c I was alone, I stopped and talked every neighbor on the road! (59-year wedding anniversary going on - probably in the same spot, too!) That was also nice but it wasn't much of a workout. Oh, well. Trying again tonight.

eta:
NRR: was trying to make almond flour yesterday for a recipe and managed to get 4 cups and then had lots of leftover pasty-batter-like almonds, so I blended it up for almond butter, decided it needing something sweet so I added maple syrup. Then I naughtily added dark chocolate chips. O. M. G. I have a quart of incredibly awesome almond (germinated/dehydrated) almond chocolate nut butter that is already half gone. I just sink the spoon down in and screw on the lid. yummy.gif Heavenly. May have to blog about this. smile.gif And may have to keep a jar of this in the car for those can't-stop-to-eat days. Currently in dehydrator: peppercorn beef jerky. nod.gif

eta: Just realized I bet I could make that chocolate almond butter into granola bars if I take my granola and mix it in with warm nut butter, then let it cool and slice. headscratch.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#191 of 317 Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM

I was hungry last night and tempted by the fruit salad I made for the kids. Not a good plan. I'm holding steady on bland rice and chicken today. My doctor had nothing helpful to offer, over the week I've lost the 5 lbs I had put on working nights and not running with the hip injury over he summer, and my lab results are still "pending". Shrug.

Gaye, those are terrific races!

lofty, sounds delicious.

JayGee, take care of that hip. Sorry the back to school colds hit so soon.

I was tempted to add some RR by biking to the doctor, but after pulling some weeds in the front yard zapping my energy we decided to drive. Then hit the coffee shop with the best play area for tea and reading magazines for an hour while the youngest entertained herself.

I've been reading The Abstinence Teacher, which is pretty light, but nice to have a novel to distract me.

#192 of 317 Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM

MelW, The Leftovers was that nice, light read for me last year. It was fun, shallow, short. I sure hope you figure this out soon. Enjoy your visit with Plady! Make sure to post a pic!

Turned out I work up sore and sort of all-over inflamed. irked.gif Everything is a little swollen. My allergies are especially bad this week. So, no early run today, but I did take my niece out for a short walk when she finished her lunch (this is a special needs situation of mind-boggling proportions but suffice it to say I would not consider exchanging all my food issues for what is going on here). So anyway, watching sister's kids for the day, and so far, all is going smoothly. That is enough for me today.

Way to go, Real and Gaye! Looks like you swam plenty of bonus, Real. And I just am yikes.gif at the very thought of back-to-back tris like that, Gaye. Wow.

Lofty, yum on the almond butter. Sounds heavenly.

So school officially starts Wednesday. Today is as good as over, tomorrow looks to be busy, and now my mom is suggesting taking my kids and my sister's kids up to the cabin for a few days. I am just not sure I have it in me right now. I have been working on getting my stuff together for the Paris bit of the travels, and I think I am starting to get it. Downloading guides on Kindle instead of buying paper, looking for some map options next. I actually feel pretty good about things. I am thinking a 2-day Batobus pass with the intention of seeing the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and Sainte-Chapelle, Champs-Elysees and Arc de Triomphe. Lunches in whatever green space wherever we are. Everything else is gravy. Save time at the ET by doing the stairs, probably the same at the Arc. Pantheon is like a block from the hotel, so maybe breakfast there. Cool thing? Most places are free to kids. I have figured out, I think, the minimum of info about the RER to get to and from CDG into town and back, too. We have 2 evenings and maybe there is some strolling to be done then, too. I can catch up on sleep in Morocco. winky.gif

#193 of 317 Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM

lofty--sounds yummy!

MelW--taking it easy for a few more days is probably the best plan given what you went through.

1jooj--sounds like your Paris planning is going well. Hope you're feeling less inflamed tomorrow!

BTW, I would like to note that tjsmama really is a natural triathlete. I'm strong in the run ('cause I'm a runner who does triathlons), but she's incredible overall (which is why she's a triathlete who runs). I can't wait to see how incredible she's going to be when she starts training for Ironman. Maybe 2014 will be the year she blows me away at the Bolder Boulder?

RR: easy errand ride pulling the trailer. Also, I'd like to credit my oldest daughter for her contributions on the trail-a-bike. Everyone's assumed that it's a lot more work for me and that I'm basically towing both of them, but today when I was only towing the trailer I could feel the difference on the hills. R apparently pedals hard enough to carry her own weight and some of the trailer.

Tri stats:

Swim 13:10
T1 3:20
Bike 47:47
T2 1:54
Run 26:11
Total: 1:32:23

The swim time isn't right. I started the Garmin when they told me "go" and didn't stop it until I hit transition. It gave me a swim time of 14:50. The only way my swim time could have been shorter is if they somehow subtracted the time it took to peel off the top of the wetsuit and let the wetsuit strippers take care of the rest, or if they subtracted the run up to transition, but I don't think they do that. So...bank error in my favor? I dunno. My Garmin showed a time of 1:33:something too.

This was my third sprint tri. The bike was the fastest leg so far thanks to the road bike, and the run was my best tri run ever, probably because I upped my mileage a lot in the last couple of years. I need to improve my transitions, but then again, I don't feel all that inspired to do so. I'd much rather enjoy the first 2/3rd of the race! lol.gif

NRR: first day of school here. R loved it. J clamored to go to the pottery place, zoo, and on a bike ride. Actual activities: bike ride (to drop off my wetsuit rental and another errand), groceries, laundry. Tomorrow is car-related errands but I'm hoping we can make it to the pottery place on Wednesday.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#194 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

BTW, I would like to note that tjsmama really is a natural triathlete. I'm strong in the run ('cause I'm a runner who does triathlons), but she's incredible overall (which is why she's a triathlete who runs). I can't wait to see how incredible she's going to be when she starts training for Ironman. Maybe 2014 will be the year she blows me away at the Bolder Boulder?

lol.gif You could totally blow me away if you wanted to put the time and effort into triathlon. But instead, you'll just continue to smoke me in running. But thank you for the compliment. blowkiss.gif

lofty~That really does sound amazingly delicious.

jo~I'm jealous of your Paris planning. I love.gif Paris!

Busy night at work, which is lovely in that it makes the night go fast. Not so lovely when you're the admit nurse and you're walking in from the scrub machine (we wear OR scrubs in case of c-sections) and the charge nurse sees you and asks if you can clock in early because they just had four babies all at the same time and they need you in the OR asap. dizzy.gif Things slowed down and went quite nicely from then on, fortunately.

Is it weird that I've been exchanging multiple text messages a day with the match guy and we talked for nearly 30 minutes on the phone the other night, and then I didn't hear a single thing at all yesterday? Not sure what to think about that...

rr~Swam some easy laps during adult swim at the pool, which actually helped me loosen up a bit. And then did week 2, day 1 of my 100 push-ups and 200 sit-ups apps when we got home.

#195 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 AM

Real and Gaye, congrats on the triathlons. You ladies rock. I'm still in the "do I want to try a tri" mode -- made more complicated by a lack of a bicycle or any desire to train on one. lol.gif  I am just kind of afraid of the bike -- of getting knocked over, falling over, getting a flat tire I won't be able to fix, blah blah blah.

Jo, enjoy Paris. I hope you're feeling a lot better. You inspire me in so many ways.

Mel, do you feel better? Gastro stuff is the worst. I basically told my running friends that I can't commit in advance to any run but I'll try to show up when I can, if the stomach is in stasis and I don't need to worry about finding a bathroom. Kind of a drag.

Lofty, I think I need more info on that recipe!

Sparkle, how is your foot? And how is everything else going?

Last week of summer here. I went into school yesterday and am going again today and tomorrow to do prep stuff. I realize now how suited I am to teaching in more than one way -- I don't know what I would do without the cyclical nature of the school year, the anticipation and excitement (and some dread) of the new year, the rhythms of the academic schedule, and the downtime of summer (which is not a break for me as I still do a lot of work, but it's time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture, attend to my own continuing education, etc.). Every day going to an office would be torture for me without knowing that there's an 'end point' to that cycle and a break, you know?

Hmmm.

Things at home...shaky. Dh's triathlon (which he directs/owns) is in three weeks or so, the sunday after labor day. His junk is taking over the house, and his mood is even worse than usual, and I'm being accused of being more or less incompetent and not helpful. eyesroll.gif and I went into a whole vent here but am just going to delete it and move on...

RR: 10 miles on Sunday, some with some friends, and 1000 yard swim this morning. My butt is killing me and I haven't started physical therapy yet ($$ issue) so I have to tone down the runs a bit or at least not run too many days in a row right now I think. The swim felt great though. 

PS...Swim etiquette question -- If I am swimming in a lane with two other people (friends) and we're circling, and I am faster than they are and need to pass, how do I do that, or do I just not?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#196 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

The "proper" etiquette is for you to tap them on the foot and then they should stop at the wall to let you pass.
Nickarolaberry likes this.

#197 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Lofty/All - I had the same problem with Cutting for Stone. I started it 4 times over 2 years, getting nearly to page 100, then leaving it. I finally finished it this summer after several of you exalted it so highly, and I did devour it after page 100. I think the beginning, up until the narrator's birth, is a slog. But then, even as I enjoyed it a lot, I think it has a tinge of melodrama that bugged; a little soapy (a scene or two toward the end made me say out loud "really?!"). For you Northwesterners; Where Did You Go Bernadette is a sort-of-fun-in-a-snarky-way read. Hows that for a rec lol.gif It's a send-up of the Northwest, or aspects of it ...

Nic - I completely agree about the academic cycle. I too cant imagine another job (not that Ive been working there since the last ice age). Today was my first day of classes and I get this buzz from the structure and intellectual challenge....

RR: none since Friday. Planning for tomorrow. The toe (... omg, I literally spelled that tow and had to think for a minute about how wrong that looks and what the right spelling is ...uhoh3.gif) is 80%. Much better

NRR: Having a hard few days. O'd on Friday and wow, I am always amazed by the transformation in my energy and attitude (both plummet). Then add that stuff is coming up with both DD1 and DS (her saying something mean to someone, that I just learned of yesterday, and the general work Im doing with/for DS around competitiveness, defensiveness, etc) and what I realize is that I have done something really bad as a parent to raise two kids who are so competitive that doing worse than someone else can make them ugly and mean, that they view their accomplishment in light of others' ability, rather than just on their own progress and passion greensad.gif I cant believe DD1 would say something so mean, and yet I can imagine her feeling really down on herself for not performing at some level she thinks she should and then taking that out on someone. How have I imparted to them the inclination to be so self-critical and to put such pressure on them selves if not by somehow communicating that to them greensad.gif

So now to start the work of communicating the value of passion and personal benchmarks ... I have a LOT of work to do in this area myself, so I blame myself ... and ironically now feel pressure on me to be a good model and teacher!

I've been writing DS letters in his lunch-box every day about some issue that comes up.. Yesterday he had a conflict with his teacher where he was blamed for something he says he didnt do (hard to believe, sadly), and we tried to explain compromising for the bigger picture of having good relationships, even if in the short term you feel like you are giving in. He asked why he cant just be liked for himself.

Earlier in the month, when Dh said to him "life isent fair", DS said "I know, but why cant it be unfair in my favor" lol.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#198 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 PM

tjsmama--no, I think I could put in thousands of hours at swimming and still not be better than mediocre. I'm just not built that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

I'm still in the "do I want to try a tri" mode -- made more complicated by a lack of a bicycle or any desire to train on one. lol.gif   I am just kind of afraid of the bike -- of getting knocked over, falling over, getting a flat tire I won't be able to fix, blah blah blah.
You can do one with any kind of bike, like a hybrid or mountain bike. I enjoyed it on my road bike a lot more, but the first two I did with platform pedals on a hybrid and that was fine too. For tires, I went to one of those free bike maintenance classes at the local bike shop and they showed me how to do it on my bike. I get a kick out of the fact that it's a skill I have and my husband doesn't. lol.gif Sorry about your DH and hope you can survive the next three weeks! You may be amused to know that my DH, when asked to bring the trail-a-bike when he dropped off R at school, immediately launched into full-blown guy avoidance mode. I'd already put the thing in his trunk. He claimed he didn't know how to fold it and had never seen it that way, despite the fact that it's been hanging, folded, in our garage for at least a month (and despite the fact that he didn't need to fold or unfold it). Then he claimed that he couldn't carry it with him to her classroom, so he'd have to drop her off and then go back and get it and he'd be late for a conference call he was supposed to be on at 8. Reality check: school starts at 8:10, he stays with her, and um, he doesn't carry anything so why can't he carry it in one hand like I do, seeing as he's a good foot + taller and twice as heavy? Why in the world make two trips? Then he demanded to know whether R "really" wanted to bike home (it had been her idea). He claimed he needed me to show him how to lock it up (it's a cable lock with a padlock, and honestly, it's in the bike corral so I don't think anyone is going to make off with it anyhow because I think the bike corral is locked during the day). There was the argument that if I'd just told him last night, it would have been fine. (Why?) Also, he kept arguing that if they had to rush he wouldn't have time, but I kept pointing out that they were going to leave at a decent time and not rush because it's the second day of school and we haven't figured out the best place to park to get to her classroom anyhow. Le sigh. I'm SO over these games every time I ask him to do something he just doesn't want to do, no matter how simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

and what I realize is that I have done something really bad as a parent to raise two kids who are so competitive that doing worse than someone else can make them ugly and mean, that they view their accomplishment in light of others' ability, rather than just on their own progress and passion greensad.gif I cant believe DD1 would say something so mean, and yet I can imagine her feeling really down on herself for not performing at some level she thinks she should and then taking that out on someone. How have I imparted to them the inclination to be so self-critical and to put such pressure on them selves if not by somehow communicating that to them greensad.gif
I don't think it's anything you've done. Most likely the competitiveness is already there, especially given their talent. Also, failure--defined loosely!--is a lot harder on someone who is used to succeeding. It's a lot easier on the ego to blame someone else or vent frustration on someone else than to acknowledge that it's really hard to not succeed from time to time. If you can get through the initial emotional defenses and talk about how yes, it feels just awful to not reach your goal and it's easy to turn these situations into a black and white success/failure situation, that it's also important to take a deep breath and talk about what went well and what one might do differently. Any other coping techniques and self-talk ideas should help too, just to give them an appropriate way to deal with their emotions.

Time to hook the bike and trailer up and head to school. My only accomplishment this morning was finding a way to more or less entertain the 3yo while we spent 2-1/2 hours at Uhaul for them to install a hitch. They didn't even have chairs there. It's supposed to be a 30-45 minute job, it wasn't that busy, and the guy had to look at one of their help videos to figure out the electrical part. :eyeroll I really hope it's on safe and secure. It's the place where we had the Buick's put on, but I'm fairly certain this guy was about 10 years old then and he wasn't the one who did it. lol.gif

#199 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Sympathy for you mamas with trying partners! It comes and goes and right now, we're good. fingersx.gif

Sparkle and teachers: I have to plug Your Child's Strengths. I blogged about it but don't bother reading about it there; I'll give you the lowdown here. 1 mom, 2 sons plus my sons plus another kid were playing an epic 3-day version of Risk. The mom was tensing as the argument between her two sons grew day by day. They played for most of the day for 3 days. I thought it was funny and couldn't understand why she was tensing until the last day when the competitiveness between them was EPIC. I've never seen anything like it. It came to a head when a crucial move depended on the decision of one person. They argued for about 2 hours WITH NO ONE MAKING A MOVE. It was mind-boggling. She had just finished reading Your Child's Strengths and she/I realized something: each was arguing based on what they think is the moral/right/appropriate thing to do based on how they determine what is morally right. Both had very different and strong opinions about the "right" thing to do - b/c they were based on how each one had behaved and received for approval in the past. To wit: one kid is fiercely independent and believes in a go it along approach/ no help needed and it says something BAD about you if you get (read: need) help. other kid is awesome at teamwork and at effortlessly corralling other people to work on his goal and thinks it's stupid to go it alone if you can accomplish more with a group. It became: you'll never succeed in life if you rely on a group vs you'll never accomplish as much in life if you refuse help. (Am I going too far with my example?) So, mom/I were chopping vegetables, making soup for hours in the kitchen, listening, and realized, based on the book we'd just read that neither one could appreciate the value in the other's strengths and, in fact, saw each other's as a weakness because it would be weakness to him but it's not for the other person. (And proceeded to berate, belittle and put each other down for pretty much the rest of the day.) Of course, this may have nothing to do with your children's competitiveness but, seriously, check it out the library. Fast read. And teachers, it's an absolutely great book with which to start off the school year. Plug over. bag.gif

Recipe: shrug.gif If you can make nut butter, then that's all you do. I just made the almonds into almond butter, added maple syrup to my heart's content and then scooped up a handful (1 cup or so) of dark chocolate chips and added it into the blender. yummy.gif It's the perfect mid-afternoon snack. All you need is a spoon. (Or a graham cracker if you're my ds2 who calls it Mommy's Nutella, although mine isn't as smooth, it's more like mommy's chunky nutella.)

RR: Crossing my fingers to out tonight with RP who is insanely busy getting her classroom ready but hoping to be done by 7. fingersx.gif Tomorrow, I swim banana.gif

#200 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Plady and family are here!! We hung out this afternoon and now they've gone to their campsite where we'll meet them for a swim later. There's no Mel & Plady photo yet, but how about the littlest girls and their paleo watermelon cake?

#201 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM

So much adorableness! joy.gif Have FUN!

#202 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 PM
bec

So, by the time I had a chance to check in here, I find that we are already at page 11.  No hope of catching up, so I'll just start here and try to keep up for the rest of the month! 

Somehow managing to keep some sort of activity up, but it is blessedly less than before.  I am still training for the half marathon with my 9.5 year old, and we did 9.5 miles on Saturday.  And, I made it to the boot camp type class early this morning, and a slow run after (slow, because I am watching a friend's children until they start preschool and the 4 year old was biking. I did not quite 2 miles in 35 minutes, which was a different sort of excercise!).  I am going to be starting tri class in September again, and am going to start going to the pool again. 

Hoping all is well with all my dingo sisters!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#203 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM

Just spent four days mostly off grid at a cabin near the Canadian/ Minnesota border. Mostly good! Gearing up for tomorrow night at bil's and then Thursday at the state fair. Oh my. Neither is really my thing.

Back when I'm back to the computer b

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#204 of 317 Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Sweet Dinglets, MelW! I hope you ladies have a nice visit!

sparkle, still jealously living vicariously through you. Someday, I should like to get back to school--though I am having some wonderings about that at this point.

Meantime, I teach these two. We start officially tomorrow, assuming the lesson links go up. Otherwise, we just crack some books and ease into it. A few admin meetings yet tomorrow and then it breaks loose. Laptops are set up, teachers have touched base. Here we go. Kids finished their summer TKD season, one earning a new stripe and the other a belt, and I think we have enough enthusiasm to enroll in classes "over there." 

And so I am off to bed before 10 (first time in days joy.gif) and plan to get a couple miles in early before we get started on All That Stuff. Will report back after I finish up.

#205 of 317 Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Genius mom moment: so happy to have found a lap pool to swim with the kids near music lessons, I arrived early, swam an hour nod.gif and planned 1/2 an hour to eat picnic lunch, change clothes and get to music lessons w/o a towel! duh.gif Good news: awesome swimming place, friendly people, great big doors open to the outside, non-stinky. Bad news: we're going to 1st day of lessons drenched. lol.gif

Kerc, I'd love an off-grid cabin! Pix?

Bec, can you help me get stated geocaching?

Jooj, you sound on top of your game. Makes me so happy. smile.gif

#206 of 317 Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM

Anyone have a staple dinner meal that doesn take a ton of work? I have several (5-7?) staples that I seem to make week after week, and am getting bored, both of the making and the eating. I do venture out, but it always takes more work/time and so the staples remain the staples:

veggie lasagna
meatloaf with bean flour & flax seeds), vegetable/salad, roasted sweet potatoes
quiche veggie or with turkey bacon), tomato soup, salad
tofu-veggie stir-fry, peanut sauce
sausage/tomato/red pepper saute over noodles
roast chicken, veggie, quinoa

sometimes;
fish, veggie, etc

I'm picky about fish. I can get other meat locally and sustainably raised, but the fish needs to be a certain kind, raised a certain way, and usually bought on sale at my co-op, which only carries good fish but doesnt have it on sale much (I most often buy meat in their "use today" meat section, where they put things that are about to go, and then I freeze them). The kids arent so keen on bean-centered dishes, although they have been raving about dinners at their friends' house down the street whose mom has cooked some meatless casserole thing from Africa (both kids are adopted from Kenya and the parents are totally Afro-centric, including skyping with the birth mom in Kenya, attending an all black church ... very cool)

Anything your kids love?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#207 of 317 Old 08-21-2013, 11:42 AM

surrender.gif

We are halfway through Day 1 of school; it is going fine. Dd is due a rude awakening about putting a little work into her work, but that's a regular occurrence. Ds seems to be ready to take the bull by the horns.

And then I got an email from dh. Looks like a change of plans for our autumn return due to his workload. I don't know details but I may be in US a bit longer than anticipated. Le sigh.

I'll get it all figured out. Meantime, trying to be grateful for more time with loved ones here.

#208 of 317 Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Sparkle, great idea to exchange meal staple ideas. Ours are

2/week - Bison burgers (lettuce wrapped or w/salad on side) with oven-fries, roasted new potatoes or baked potatoes,
1/week- Pasta night, salad
1-2/week - Homemade pizza, salad
1/week- Mexican night (beef/bison, refried beans, etc) w salad
1/week - garlic-roasted chicken with lemon-soaked rice, salad
1/week - Leftovers one night primarily with chicken: cold chicken salad, chicken quesadillas etc
Salads: I have a signature salad but I vary it depending on what's in season
If I need an easy, no-brainier night, I pick up sausage, bison dogs, or boudain.

When it gets cold, I'll switch to soups, make meatloaf, and foods that heat up the kitchen. I generally don't make oven meals in the summer (no a/c) so actually no roasted chicken (lots of sausage) until it cools down.

#209 of 317 Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM
bec

Meal staples

- salad (usually as a side, but if I have leftover meat that is not enough to feed everyone, I will make a big dinner salad.

- taco night (chicken with beans, diced tomatoes, green chillis, taco seasoning in the slow cooker and then shred the chicken)

- hamburgers (either on the outside grill or gridle if it's cold out)

- turkey chilli in the cold season

- BBQ anything (either on the grill, slow cooker or oven)

Lofty - Getting started with geocaching is pretty easy.  I would start with http://www.geocaching.com/ and read the FAQ there.  Also, I would download the free geocaching ap. 

Speaking of!  I went caching today and was able to find a cache that I haven't been able to find before!  I am so excited to have found the microest of the micro caches Dog Bathroom!  We had to walk a bit over 2 miles to get to and from, so am counting that as good!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#210 of 317 Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Meals:

DH grills burgers and brats or chicken at least once a week, and he makes a ton for leftovers
I pick up my eggs from the farmer on Tuesdays, so I always make a frittata of some kind that night with a side salad
Meatloaf with roasted cauliflower
Chicken fingers made with almond flour
Fried fish, also with almond flour or cornmeal
Spaghetti with meatsauce (noodles for kids, DH likes his over steamed carrots and I like mine over zucchini)

Exhausted from a full day in the library. But loving every minute of it!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page