Running back to school with the Dingos: August 2013

Tags
fitness
8K views 316 replies 17 participants last post by  Plady 
#1 ·
~~~~~~~~~~~~
jog.gif
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the August 2013 Dingo thread.
run.gif

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awesome opening written by jo at some point in the past.
blowkiss.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Hooray, I had a good long run this morning! I've been dreading it all week, after last week's disaster of an 8 miler. Some good company made all the difference in the world, as I did this week's run in about the same amount of time as last week's and it was 2 miles longer. In fact, I miraculously only stopped once, and that was at the turnaround to use my inhaler. Maybe I can survive this marathon training thing after all...

And now, to go get ready for my lunch date. Eek!

#6 ·
It is good to here you are feeling better/slept better kerc. Will you suffer caffeine withdrawal?

tjsmama, I hope the run settled any nerves down before your lunch date!

We are organizing the school work and finishing what will count as our first week of the 2013-2014 school year. We do work year round but things tend to get out of control and I like to be a step ahead of deadlines. I wish we had gotten about two more weeks of work done before turning things over but overall good progress was made. Time for new goals!

I will lift today. If I get medical/dental paperwork together I will also deal with those issues. That has to count as a workout.

#9 ·
Lunch was good.
smile.gif
Good conversation (although I was dumb and ordered pesto and spent the whole time worrying that I had pesto in my teeth
orngtongue.gif
), nice guy. TOTALLY not my normal type looks-wise, but he's cute! Definite possibilities, I think, but we shall see.

Oh, and I finally got an email from Tuesday guy. I think three days might be a bit long, but I'll probably give him another chance. In a few days.
orngbiggrin.gif

#10 ·
Gaye
thumb.gif
makin' me laugh.

mommajb, don't sweat these things. I'm full of typos and errors and English was my major.
winky.gif

In the final week of Ramadan here. Think we're gonna make it! Ds is a crazy champ.

RR: 22 miles on the bike followed by a little yoga.

ETA: RM, homeschooling through HS is soooo not in my plan, but I am trying to remember, man plans, G!d laughs. Keeping an open mind and hoping to be in a place, maybe by next year, where ds can get back into a B&M situation. He's doing great academically, but as I mentioned before, he thinks he misses the large numbers of students. I appreciate more time together, but I miss my hours of silence.

#12 ·
Congrats Gaye on a long run and successful date. Thanks for the new thread.

School here starts after labour day, and our face to face school not until two weeks later. That said, both kids are doing daily fiddle and French for August, and we're likely to slide some math back in for the oldest soon.

Jo, I can only plan one year at a time for school. I've never been wholly committed to HSing, public school or even our current hybrid. Year by year, kid by kid, we'll keep doing whatever works best given current situations.

I got my pre-reading for my masters program "gateway week" (on-campus week) at the end of the month. And textbook list. It's starting to get real.

Four blocks away there is a new small development starting that has many lots with a house plus gatehouse. I was looking at prices and plans and dreaming of having a separate house/studio for my husband to work in. I told him about it and he thought I meant for MIL to live in (she's recently talked about us all buying something similar to decrease mortgages for all of us). It doesn't solve the work from home issue, but is something to consider...

#13 ·
Evening mamas,

Gaye - Glad you had a fun time with your date today. Here's to many happy returns. :)

Lofty - Isn't your birthday imminent? Any plans?

Geo - Oh my, that remodel sounds like quite a nail-biter! And yahoo for a good therapist fit, more
goodvibes.gif
for a better meeting time.

MelW - would MIL instead of studio be a good thing?

Mommajb - Don't sweat the spelling (say I as I tye on a terrible work computer with a crap keyboard) just blame the technology

RR: no but I'm running tomorrow morning.

NRR: just checking in from work. Tonight is a Patsy Cline tribute show. Kids' classes are done for the summer. In the end two of the most disruptive boys had to stay home with head lice and we started having some fun. I'm sorry to have been so fed up with my high energy charges, it's just disappointing to find that your plans which work for one group of kids just aren't happening with another. That and it's incredibly frustrating to feel you have to fight to teach a game. But I'm still learning, it's all good.

#14 ·
Out of town again (funeral, expected) and studying with a relative if dh's and I just met their 2 dogs, 1 of which is....

are you ready?

1/2 Australian cattle dog and

1/2 DINGO!! She's beautiful, sandy colored, very nice fair. Sam is the name. I may have to get a picture with him/her.
orngbiggrin.gif

RR: Swimming laps in the morning - and seriously excited about it.

NRR: Started school Mon.

Plady, you are right. Next week. To coincide with Austin visit. Glad summer camp is going better!

Jooj, Ramadan sounds like it has been very good.

Mel, we fantasize about mil houses. I grew up with grandparents all around and would love it if my kids could experience that.

Tjsmama, are you having fun?

Mommjb, just pretend you're typing on a phone and it auto-corrected incorrectly.
smile.gif

#15 ·
jog.gif
2013 Dingo Race List

:

Realrellim - West Side Duathlon, August 25, 2013

mel38 - Francis Marion Dirt Dash Half Marathon, September 7, 2013

1jooj - Fox Cities Half, Sept 22, 2013

bec & DD2 & DH - Des Plaines River Trail Half Marathon, October 19, 2013

tjsmama - Rock n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon, October 20, 2013

tjsmama & mel38 - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013

jog.gif
jog.gif

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder, June 15, 2014
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon, July 13, 2014
tjsmama - Ironman Boulder, August 3, 2014

Special dates:

candle.gif
September 24, 2012 Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts.
stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

#16 ·
run.gif
2013 Dingo Race Results
partytime.gif

mommajb - Tinkerbell Half, January 20, 2013

mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 26, 2013 - 1:38:46

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K, January 27, 2013

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon, February 10, 2013 - 1:59:47

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k, March 10, 2013 - 41:58

JayGee - AOH 5k - March 10, 2013 - 27:48 (DS's time - 26:53, for his first 5K ever!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon, March 24, 2013

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k, April 5, 2013 - 1:00:28

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint Triathlon, April 20, 2013 - 1:32:21

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

tjsmama - Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler, April 28, 2013 1:41:58

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k, May 4, 2013 - 1:00:?

Dmitrizmom - Pieathlon, May 11, 2013

JayGee & DD1 - St. Louis Girls on the Run 5k, May 11, 2013 - 41:00

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 4:00:44

tjsmama - Colfax 1/2 Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 2:15:54

Dmitrizmom - Gladiator Assault Challenge, May 19, 2013

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #1, May 19, 2013 - 1:26:37

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 53:11

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 59:07

Mel38 - Lowcountry Splash 2.4 mile swim, June 1, 2013 - 57:36

Nickarolaberry - Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, June 2, 2013 - 2:30-ish

Dmitrizmom - Grinnell Games Half Marathon, June 8, 2013

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #2, June 16, 2013 - 1:26:03 PR!

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Tri, June 22, 2013

realrellim - Winter Park Half Marathon, June 29, 2013

realrellim - Run for Independence, July 6, 2013

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon, July 14, 2013 - 1:41:06

bec - Door County Triathlon - Half Ironman, July 21, 2013 - 7:55 PR!!

poppywise - The Giant Race San Francisco Half Marathon, August 4, 2013 - 2:39:12

Dmitrizmom - Run for Blood, - Run for Blood, August 4, 2013 - (31:52 a PR by over 3 minutes!!)

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #5, August 11, 2013 - 1:31:20

tjsmama - Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Oly & Sprint), August 17-18, 2013 - 3:23:10 & 1:27:39

Realrellim - Rattlesnake Sprint Tri, August 18, 2013 1:32:23

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

#17 ·
Lofty - 1/2 dingo!? Crazy! You had me singing Melissa Ethridge in my head there
lol.gif

MelW - wow, things are already getting going with your masters program! Eek! But exciting, too. I love buying textbooks. Paying for them, on the other hand, not so much.
winky.gif

Thanks for the new thread Gaye!! Your dates sounds pretty good so far!

Mommajb, How frustrating with the ortho. We are just starting that journey with DD2.

And whew, I got the races on the first page
eyesroll.gif
barely.

RR: 8 miles today, slow (13 m/mile) but done.

Otherwise, work has been busy and I feel like I am neglecting everything else in my life. We have been dealing with fleas ever since we got home from vacation - despite all the topical treatments that have always worked for us. Now I am hearing that we should switch topicals because the fleas become immune or something. Right after I bought 6 months worth for each of the animals.
irked.gif
Actually, I went with a super-expensive (but supposedly very effective) flea collar for the dog. That, plus lots of laundry and vacuuming, I'm hoping that will do the trick. I hate fleas.
censored.gif

#18 ·
Mel38-can you put me down for the West Side Duathlon on August 25? Thanks!

Subbing & reading along.

Tried to reserve a wetsuit today. One store only has sleeveless (I'd rather not) and other only goes to size small, which may be too big. Apparently I should have taken care of this sooner. I did swim in Lake Granby yesterday. Other than the squishy clay-mud from the mountain-turned-shoreline/lake bottom and the fact that it was freezing, it was fine. Didn't go far due to being cold, but was pleased to see the swimming was fine, even with a little wind.

#19 ·
Subbing. Here, lurking, lots going on. Re-entry for the girls after camp has been loving but very bumpy. Processing the '(mis)education' dd1 got in camp from friends (thank goodness we have had these conversations steadily over the years and she already knows the 'true deal' but still...jeez...and this is a religious camp!). Ds is happy to have his sisters back but missing, I think, being the only show in town crown prince.

My anxiety is starting to ramp up as we get into August. Off to my folks' tomorrow for 6 days while I take a teacher's course (AP continuing ed) and the kids spend days at Camp Baba and Tata (their names for my dad and mom). Then back for the weekend, and then on 'family vacation' for four days -- we're going to Martha's Vineyard which is fun and lovely, but the work involved in taking everyone away and making sure I have food...ugh. Then one week, and school starts. I am not done with my preparations (of course).

RR: on and off. Planning a long run tomorrow morning, we'll see if it happens.

#21 ·
I spent yesterday at the triathlon. Like the ENTIRE day.

Dh did the long course and the kids' race was in the afternoon. So we got there at 9 am and left at 4. Oy.

That should be enough to count for exercise. Almost enough for yesterday and today.

#22 ·
RR: 2 swims! Woo-hoo! 30 min in a great pool. Weirdly, aftter a month of open water swims in the lake where boats go by and can make some pretty big waves, the pool was a piece of cake. A cake walk. I finished feeling like I had done nothing more than walk around the block. Which makes me realize how awesome those lake swims were. I'm used to struggling for a good 30 min in the pool.

Sam, the 1/2 Dingo:

#23 ·
Mel, Melissa Etheridge was just who I had in mind! We had the flea infestation post-trip 2 summers ago. After that, we bought that spendy collar and haven't had a problem since. We put it on about 2 months before we left just as it is warning up and it has worked so far!

#25 ·
So very tired. And sooooooo happy to be sitting at home on my couch right now, on release from work. I could still get called in, but chances are pretty low, I think. I'm feeling slightly guilty, since I don't even have *that* great a reason for taking release, but if I can sleep tonight, I will definitely be far happier when DS gets home tomorrow around noon. And then my sister and her family will arrive tomorrow night, so a little extra rest will be a good thing!

I still haven't replied to Tuesday guy's email...just not sure if there's a point. I liked him ok, but with DS coming back, my availability goes way down, and I'm not sure I like him enough to pay for a babysitter.
orngtongue.gif
I got a text from Friday guy a few hours after our lunch, and we've exchanged a few more since. He actually has an appointment at the hospital in the morning, and we had talked about maybe meeting up for coffee after I got off work and his appt, but now that I'm not working, not sure. Definitely think there's more possibilities with him, though!

Extra bonus to not working tonight: I should be able to get a run in tomorrow morning before DS gets home.

#26 ·
Gaye - Date #2 does sound more promising than Date #1. Let him down easy though
wink1.gif

kerc - 27 miles? Impressive!

lofty - Sam the 1/2 Dingo is adorable
smile.gif

Mel38 - you can take me off for the GeoComfort Tri this weekend. My back injury put an end to training for that.

Nic - saw on FB that your long run happened
smile.gif
. My next two weeks are equally stressful. Ugh.

RR - not so much... but I am going to the Y this morning.

NRR - DD1 and I went to a baby shower yesterday for a friend from church. Probably the least crunchy group of women ever assembled, but it was still fun. And my friend will BF, so that's something. Everyone was laughing about how they'd never cloth diaper and "bring on the epidural" and I just kind of smiled. The woman who hosted is one of those perfect Air Force wives - beautifully dressed, amazingly decorated base house, professional photographer in her spare time (really talented too), gorgeous and delicious homemade food, and well behaved children. I went home feeling woefully inadequate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.