Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My mother-in-law just shared these with me that a colleague shared with her:

1) Eat fresh, not processed
2) Don't eat anything with more than three ingredients in it
3) Don't drink calories
4) Don't eat gluten (flour)

Those seem pretty challenging but I am tired of people asking me when my baby is due when I'm not pregnant so I might work one to three of these into my next meal plan.

In the meantime I might try this one:
Only eat one serving, and if my children don't eat their food I'll eat it as a bedtime snack or put it in the fridge instead of eating too much for lunch and dinner.

And my favorite:
Drink, drink, drink water!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#2 of 27 Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I try....try....to "Eat the Rainbow"  - that is , over the course of a week make sure i get a wide variety of foods - not just green salads etc...   and 2  - avoid "white Foods"  - that would be flour, sugar and lard!

good luck!

Catholic Mama likes this.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Here are my rules

1. I try to eat vegs at all my meals. So if I'm going to have pizza then I will put vegs on it.

2. Eat ONLY when I'm hungry. I almost never snack.

3. I LOVE ice cream. I will let go out for ice cream 2x a week. So I have something to look forward to. (I can not have ice cream in my house because I WILL EAT IT ALL)Sheepish.gif

4. walk 30mins a day. (hard at times with 3 kids)

#4 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

Here are my rules

1. I try to eat vegs at all my meals. So if I'm going to have pizza then I will put vegs on it.

2. Eat ONLY when I'm hungry. I almost never snack.

3. I LOVE ice cream. I will let go out for ice cream 2x a week. So I have something to look forward to. (I can not have ice cream in my house because I WILL EAT IT ALL)Sheepish.gif

4. walk 30mins a day. (hard at times with 3 kids)

I eat cereal for breakfast most days, usually with organic berries or bananas if we have them. I'm guessing you eat vegetables with eggs for breakfast?

I seem to be hungry a lot, even when I'm not pregnant, so I snack at least twice. I do try to limit it to lunch's leftovers if in the afternoon, or dinner's leftovers if at bedtime, or a piece of fruit like an apple or a nectarine.

I love ice cream too! My father-in-law was probably teasing me when he said it puts on five pounds for every ounce, but I limit myself to three scoops per day at most in a milkshake (not that that's really limiting!).

I love to walk, too. The weather doesn't always allow that, so I do sit-ups (at least fifty at a time) and jumping jacks.

Eating a variety of colors is a great idea. My family doesn't always go for that, but I need to remember to eat some for myself anyway.

#5 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM

If I eat cereal I'm hungry before lunch. I do eat an egg w/vegs most mornings. But I also will have bread with peanut butter with bananas. So that is not a veg but it is in that direction.

I snack on popcorn. (3 cups is a serving) or mix vegs and dip. Watermelon. baby carrots. 

As far ice cream. I know that it is hard. Can you try a creamy drink? maybe a smoothy?

nak

#6 of 27 Old 08-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Good thread subject!

I try to go with my gut but obviously it doesn't always work lol.

- Oatmeal (with maple syrup and fresh berries) in the morning is a winner for me, since it keeps me full til lunch and I usually make better food choices throughout the day.

- Veggies as much as possible, and I found that buying the frozen green giants veggies were a lifesaver, especially at work. If I don't have them or other kind of fresh veggies then I steam some spinach, very quick and good!

- Always try to have a pot of beans ready-to-eat in the fridge (I guess cans would be easier but we make them in our crockpot), they are cheap but healthy and go great with almost everything.

- We have a 11 month old so I try to follow the rule "if you wouldn't give it to your baby, then don't eat it yourself". Of course I don't rule out the hard to chew stuff, but the junk food :P

neycie likes this.

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#7 of 27 Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxy View Post

- We have a 11 month old so I try to follow the rule "if you wouldn't give it to your baby, then don't eat it yourself". Of course I don't rule out the hard to chew stuff, but the junk food :P

I like this.

#8 of 27 Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 AM

It is not always easy to follow though!

I forgot to say healthy substitutions! I started a thread about that but nobody was interested lol.

If I crave soda, I'll drink a flavored sparkling water (the with no sodium, no calories, no sugar, etc).

If I want chips, I'll go with popcorn.

If I want ice cream, I'll go with frozen yogourt (although it's not very healthy either), etc, etc.

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#9 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I'm interested in substitutions! If I find it (or if you link to it for me) I'll participate.

I also like the don't eat what you wouldn't give your baby rule. I do that most of the time.

Oatmeal is a great idea. If I make my own in a canning jar that'll fill me up a lot more than a packet of instant oatmeal. I think I'll go and make a jar for tomorrow morning. That has fiber, right?

I really need to work on eating more vegetables. Thanks for the reminder, Jaxy.

I already have a problem with gas some of the time so I am not that interested in beans, especially since my husband doesn't eat them. Just so I have it handy if I need it, though, would you please post the recipe for your crockpot beans?

Nazsmum, about the ice cream, I usually make it into a milkshake with milk. I make smoothies once or twice a week though, when I have old bananas and/or enough berries to make it taste good with the vegetable juice I've started to sneak in.

Do you ladies think I can lose weight without giving up bread, nuts, and fruit?

Thanks for your help!

#10 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

Do you ladies think I can lose weight without giving up bread, nuts, and fruit?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you can eat anything! As long as you are not OVER eating it.  eat.gif Whatever works for you. 

#11 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 AM

I've found that eating plenty of "good" fats (avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts) helps me feel fuller longer and staves off cravings for carby junk.

Kale chips and roasted edamame sprinkled with garlic salt or cajun seasoning helps curb the salty/crunchy craving.

For lunches I usually do hummus spread on a whole wheat tortillas with some sort of protein (tuna, turkey, black beans) and tons of spinach.

Overripe bananas make for a great, healthy ice cream substitue
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#12 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks kitteh, that banana ice cream sounds delicious. Do you know the answer to the last commenter's question, if it works if you blend it first and then freeze it?

#13 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Ive never tried it that way, but I had 3 over ripe bananas in the kitchen so I whipped up a batch with some peanut butter and dark chocolate chips. It just went in the freezer, so I'll check back in a few hours to let you know how it sets up!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

#14 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I usually start pretty simple. I make a rule that I have to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day and drink 8 glasses of water. I usually loose pretty well just from that. 

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#15 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM

I found the "simplest" way to lose weight (about a pound to 2 a week) is to cut about 250 calories from your diet and to lose another 250 by exercising (about 30-60 mins a day. I know, it's a lot! But it worked for me... Lost 20 lbs in about 4 months and still going! The 3-4 times a week exercise thing doesn't work, not for me anyway!

I don't know anything about your diet but you definitely need to clean it up. Less sodium (sodium will retain water and then the scale won't show change even if you do lose weight, so it's discouraging and you are more likely to eat more or make unhealthy choices if you're depressed about your weight! Yes, vicious circle! And I know a lot about that!)

There are some foods you want to stay away from as much as possible, of course those high in sugar, fats and salt. Don't give them up, just be wise about it. You might want to quite the everyday ice cream (replace with almond milk or other healthier substitute) and have a (reasonable) bowl of ice cream once a week? I don't know, you know what's best for you!

But see, JollyGG can lose weight by eating lots of veggies and fruits and drink water. I can't. I need to do that + LOTS of exercise. Our metabolisms are different, yours is too.

I'm not a fan of calorie counting, but I find it interesting to count them for a few days just to see how much you eat. I realized that by lunch I was at 1000 calories. It's too much, unless you're a monk and don't eat supper (and evening-snack!)

So yeah, losing weight is hard but really worth it. It's an everyday thing and what often happens is that the moment you decide you want to lose weight you'd want to see it come off right away. It doesn't work that way (although I did lose 4 lbs the first week because I cleaned up my diet. Then it was pretty much 1 pound a week).

#16 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM

oh and for the beans recipe, I put a can of Rotel Mild (diced tomatoes and green chiles), a chopped onions and a pound of red kidney beans! Then salt and pepper to taste (we use creole seasoning). In the crock pot on low overnight :)

#17 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM

Ok, I tried the banana "ice cream" and it freezes with the texture of ice crystals when you puree before freezing. So I dumped the whole shebang back in the food processor and the texture is much creamier now. So I'd say freeze first.

#18 of 27 Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 AM

My rules for not really dieting but just trying to maintain a healthy weight are:

--Eat sensible portions (this is really the most important rule)

--Eat whole foods rather than processed foods

--Try to avoid eating a lot of white sugar or white flour

--Healthy fats are actually good in moderation because they keep you full

--It's easy to underestimate how many calories you're eating when you snack between meals or grab "just a bite" of something, so keep an eye on that

--Only drink soda if it has hard liquor in it

--All joking aside, sugary drinks in general, even the "healthy" ones like juices, still pack a lot of mostly empty calories and it's better to limit them

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#19 of 27 Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Ahahah, MamaJen. your soda rule reminded me of my rule to only drink my calories if they are in beer/wine form.

Ok, coffee (with creamer) too.

#20 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 03:06 PM

How did you make out??

#21 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking! I'm back up to 160 pounds tonight but the good news is I was down to about 155 in the last two weeks or so and I bought an exercise bike on November 23rd, 2013. I worked my way up from 5 minutes at a time to riding for 30 minutes at a time, and I am confident that with that almost-daily exercise and our coming move, I will not only maintain a healthy weight but also hopefully lose some of this belly! (My youngest is three and I am still mistaken for a pregnant woman.) I discovered that listening to music while riding my exercise bike helps me ride much faster, even while I am singing along! :)

#22 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 PM

:clapgood for you.

#23 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 07:05 AM
lab

That is great news!   Keep it up!  

I find that it is harder to keep the routine up if I am too controlling about it.

My rules for staying healthy ....

I exercise.....a lot....  so if I want a brownie - I eat it.  But on the whole - I watch every thing I put in my mouth and this includes portion control

I don't count calories but I am always cognizant of how much I've had.   

I don't like to get hungry.  I never never skip breakfast.  Or any meal for that matter.  

I eat a lot of protein and very rarely do I eat the 'white carbs'.....

I eat eggs for breakfast unless I'm working out then I will have a banana.

I cut small slices of bad food wherever I can....for instance -I don't eat ketchup.  I don't use creamer.   I only drink water.....etc etc

I eat food prepared at home.  Processed and frozen foods are out....

I'm turning 44 this year - so I'm aware that my metabolism is fluctuating.   I make sure to keep my muscle mass high so I do burn a lot of calories.    

With all of that said - I don't worry if I have pizza.  Or if I binge on chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving.  I totally allow myself to give in to cravings and fun.   

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#24 of 27 Old 05-17-2014, 04:04 AM

Good simple tricks you guys have got.......the best one I think is eating fresh fruits and  Sautéed vegetables......keep cooking oil to the minimum.

#25 of 27 Old 09-19-2014, 03:10 AM

I think having "gluten free" diet is a great idea to lose weight. You should focus on eating a natural diet consisting of lots of of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. In this way you’ll take in very little gluten without any effort and can lose weight safely.
#26 of 27 Old 09-27-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have to do things in small steps or I get overwhelmed and give up. I'm just starting this since I threw all my eating habits out the window when I was pregnant with my last. Last week I cut out sodas. I used to never drink sodas, then I started attending a bible study where I would treat myself to a can of Dr. Pepper. Then I started adding more and more soda into my day. I switched to sweet tea and now I'm weaning myself to unsweet tea. As you start cutting it out you don't crave the constant sugar rush anymore. You could wean yourself down from the ice cream because quite frankly, three scoops per day is a lot. Can you go to two scoops? One scoop? Once every other day? Once a week? Can you make a yogurt smoothie instead of milkshake? You don't have to quit cold-turkey. That doesn't work for me, either.

Another thing I did was allow myself treats, but I made sure they were less-unhealthy. I would get chocolate, peanut butter cups or other things occasionally, but they would be made from real ingredients. Instead of icecream I would get frozen yogurt. It cost more, so that was also an incentive to cut back.

Eating is a habit, you just have to find ways to make it a healthy habit.
#27 of 27 Old 09-27-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

For most of my life I haven't drank pop (sodas), and I still don't except for the occasional root beer float, less than once a month. I really only drink tea for about a week each month when I drink red raspberry leaf tea for my female system. I usually don't eat a milkshake with three scoops anymore. I still put three scoops in my cup with milk, but I also eat a small yogurt and make a little bit of leftovers so I end up not finishing the milkshake and I freeze it for at least one more night so that it takes me two to four nights to finish. Thank you for that idea Trixie.

I've been weighing in at 155 pretty consistently lately. I still look like I'm pregnant to people who don't know me very well, but when I went to the doctor for my thyroid check a couple of months ago (I have hypothyroidism), I weighed 157 and even at that weight he said my BMI was right in the middle of where it should be, so I'm not so worried about losing weight anymore. He said that to lose my pregnant look I could exercise my core (and he did the math: I would have to walk 70 miles to lose a pound). Walking is still easier for me than looking up exercises for my core, whatever that is, so I usually walk and when I can use the other laptop in our bedroom with carpet I'll look up exercises and try one on the carpet.

Most of the time this year, my bike squeaks when I ride it, and sometimes it doesn't work even after I spray it with WD-40. When I can ride it without it squeaking, though, I do. I think it does that less when I ride it slower so I am being more gentle with it. It's a good thing I only spent $10 on it

Last night when I was hungry after dinner and after my children went to bed, I snacked on a carrot instead of having more greasy crab rangoons. I'd like to get into a habit of doing that more often, especially since I am a proofreader and sometimes I proofread for more than an hour each day in addition to the spiritual and other reading I do so the carrots would be good for my eyes. I drink a lot of water, too, so that is another good habit I already have. My next and harder step would be to cut down on my portion sizes.

I've seen a recommendation to cook at least 15 meals per week at home yourself instead of microwaving them or buying them from a fast food restaurant. When I added them up, including leftovers of meals I've made, I do that too.

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page