Dingos Fall into September Action! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 344 Old 09-24-2013, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

Real-I must know where all this yarn shopping is going??? What project are you planning?
The local shops are doing Yarn Across the Rockies as a "yarn crawl." I'm not really sure what the point is other than to make promote local business rather than buying at Knit Picks or something. They've done it for a few years now but this is my first time. For $7 we got a tote bag with the map on it on one side and the logo on the other, plus a few free samples. Each store has a button that can go on the tote bag, each store is doing a drawing for a free gift basket full of stuff, each store designed an afghan square and is giving out a free pattern for that square, and some also have coupons or other freebies. One of my all-time favorites, Shuttles, Spindles and Skeins, is giving out a free needle/knitting gauge. Most have sales on some yarns and a few had some other special things going on, like one that had a local artist dye yarn in the colors of their logo that was on sale. Anyone who makes it to all 23 stores is entered for one of three grand prizes, one of which includes the afghan made of all the squares (I saw it at Fancy Tiger and it is nice). Thankfully, other than the bag we don't have to buy anything. I've made only three purchases out of 11 stores, so that's not too bad. I'll hit somewhere between 4 or 6 more before I'm done, but I need to figure out the logistics. If we weren't going to the mountains on Saturday I probably would bribe DH to take the kids for the day so I could hit the six stores located between Denver and Colorado Springs, but that's not happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

If I can access the part of my brain where I stored it 12 years ago, I can probably still even do regression analysis!
Nice! It would be a great fit for you, especially with your background. My resume will require some creative tweaking if I pursue this route. On the other hand, I'm reading one of those books designed for PhDs giving up on academia, so that's helpful too (not that I'm giving up quite yet, at least not fully).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

I just sent a letter to the superintendent (via the intervention director) today complaining about DD's treatment so far in middle school, along with my request that they not put a 50 pound 8 year old in the same middle school next year. 
I had to read that five times before I understood the issue with a 50-pound 8-year-old. That sounded large to me and I was trying to figure out if you were worried that the 8yo would be bullying other kids 'cause he was big. duh.gif In my defense, my 8-year-old weighed 37 lbs at her birthday and hit 41 lbs this summer. My view of the sizes children "should" be is seriously skewed.

Plady--I'm so, so very sorry for C. That stinks. Ditto Geo on propping up her self esteem and especially on encouraging her to really pursue her interests. Being able to cultivate talents and hopefully a social circle outside school should also do wonders for her confidence. There may be some books out there too that would be appropriate. In the foggy recesses of my memory, I think I might have read something along the lines of reinventing yourself when I was 15. We were moving to a new district and I figured I could use some social tips before starting the new school where no one would know I was a complete and utter loser in my old school. I didn't have any friends my age and freshman year had been a miserable continuation of junior high. The book, if it existed, was helpful in gently pointing out that some unwanted mockery can be avoided. Good luck to her. I really wish we could take all our Dinglets having these experiences and protect them from what many of us went through.

On the pen incident, do you have anything like a "Safe 2 Tell" program, or Safe Schools & Communities? Ours is a hotline and it's anonymous and it's designed both for students and for parents and communities members to report things they are concerned about, ranging from bullying to depression to suicidal thoughts. It's a brilliant thing but I don't know how widespread those programs are.

1jooj--I've become a backpack person too for just those reasons. It's a lot more comfortable.

RR: none yet but I should get my behind on the treadmill like um, now. We spent the evening assembling a new desk for R and moving J's new-to-her desk into the living room. We also got a new dresser the girls can share (it's completely symmetrical!) and two new and smaller chairs for my office so that there's a good, neutral quiet space for children wishing a break from the other when they share a room. J has this brilliant idea that the master bedroom, in which only her and I sleep, is her room and she lets me sleep there, but we're hoping to slowly but surely convince her otherwise. We will add a loft to the room in time, but not quite yet. (We have four bedrooms, but they're split 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. R doesn't want to sleep on a different level than her parents, and J's definitely not old enough.)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#302 of 344 Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 PM

First, soapbox.gif That's how I feel about Plady's DD, the acceptable-to-be-mean environment and the pen incident. Ditto on talking to the counselor before going forward with other plans. I saw this happen with a middle school girl that my boys hang out with. During the last week of school, the girl's school friends told her they didn't want to be friends with her anymore. Collectively. She was devastated, of course. After school started back up, they decided they want to be friends again. :irk What did she do in the meantime? Hang out with my boys. She's cool. Is there any other group of kids? Not that you haven't thought of that. Sigh. and hug.gif Also, ditto Geo, Kerc, mommJB & JG

Your food responsibility duties are cracking me up! I had a comment but it's gone.

Sorry, everything else I wanted to say is gone, too.

Except this: goodvibes.gif for Dingo sister

Did I already mention the 3-6 months for mil? I'm completely batty right now. I've been fending off relatives, pushing back overly-wrought relatives, writing emails, answering the door (yes after umpteen times + conversations, that does qualify as an activity) cooking & cleaning, driving, bathing (yep - you read that right) said relative and can't get home to my sweet animals and my own bed just yet. Trying to be here as much as possible b/c it seemed so imminent. Last night we celebrated her life together, told stories, drank wine, cried a bit (till I was scolded) and now I'm just exhausted. She's looking very much like the girl who got her groove back. Hence,

RR: none greensad.gif (nor writing)

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#303 of 344 Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Tara: welcome back!

Lofty: you are an amazingly caring, thoughtful DIL.  Sometimes the running, the writing, they just have to take the backseat to the caring. It'll come back.

Plady: adult mentor. yes. It really doesn't matter what the heck they talk about. What does matter is that the mentor talks to her like a person from outside the family who values her for who she is.  We have two of those for dd1. One we see less often. But it's always a boost!  Also, from being that kid: it might not be awful to seek therapy from the standpoint of being able to recognize immediately that she was upset and violated by the marker incident. And that can help her connect with the other kids -- or choose to not connect.

And now. I'm off to my work day.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#304 of 344 Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Also, from being that kid: it might not be awful to seek therapy from the standpoint of being able to recognize immediately that she was upset and violated by the marker incident. And that can help her connect with the other kids -- or choose to not connect.

This.

Getting written on with sharpies is a physical violation and she will need to process that, not only the bully/frenemy dynamic. Having been physically bullied in middle school and never having received therapy or supportive intervention from my parents (of any kind), I can say that the boundary trespass is an integral issue in terms of undermining self concept and self esteem. ABSOLUTELY do what the other wise Dingo mamas are suggesting here with finding talents, adult mentor, self esteem building activities -- and also consider therapy, processing what this means. I might humbly and quietly suggest also a physical activity like karate, krav maga, or another marial art that encompasses self mastery AND some self defense. IIRC this is your dd with the body image stuff and eating stuff, right? Not to pontificate, but this is the age where the integration of the physical, emotional, and intellectual really takes hold. I firmly believe that one of the reasons our society is so screwy in terms of school and body image (separate issues but not, I think, unrelated) is due to the isolation of each 'activity' in real life. That is to say, school is about educating from the neck up, and sports are all about the physical. But a person can't develop as a whole being without integrating all of it, and it all is an organic, dynamic process -- all the more so when the hormones start to churn. Helping her find a physical way of integration even if it's more than one thing (yoga, martial arts, soccer, bike riding, skateboarding, etc. or whatever) may help her find also equilibrium with her self concept and relate to others more productively.

Just my ideas, for whatever they are (or are not) worth.

:rainbow

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#305 of 344 Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Nic: love the integration idea. Love it!!!

#306 of 344 Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Nic, the integration comment is perfect. I've been engaged in a days long conversation with my oldest about her energy level and plans for physical activity as the weather turns rainier. She's a very cerebral kid and tends toward the sedentary- at 7 she'll often disappear for a coupe of hours and be found totally engrossed in a book, Lego project, drawing, etc. I'm trying to show her how physical outlets will give her better energy for these projects in the long run.

Tara, welcome back!!

Lofty, lots of love headed your way. Wishing you and your family all the best.

JayGee, I am doing a social policy focus in my program, and always wondering if I might want to do policy work when I "grow up".

RR- Still fighting the cold. A few pitiful chin up attempts.

NRR- I have been approached about two job opportunities in the past week. One is being a supervisor at the climbing gym, which despite the free climbing doesn't really make sense. The other is tutoring statistics for $30-40/hour. It's probably only a couple of hours a week, so quite tempting.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#307 of 344 Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 AM

MelW, both jobs sound awfully good, but tutoring seems to offer more buck for the bang, I suppose. You don't really have a lot of spare time, so make it count, right?

Lofty, you are an amazing DIL. I love that you are sending her up with such love and kindness. That will ripple out forever, you know. 

Nic, I plan on pulling both my kids into yoga practice with me this year in AUH. I did a little last year, and dd definitely likes it better than ds, but we are also definitely in that place where both kids need more knowledge about their own bodies, and I think this will fit well with the other stuff we need to do. I'm just so thrilled that dd so willingly proclaims herself beautiful (duh, but still). Blows my mind. There might be a couple of things I am doing right.

Today's the last day with books. The local Goodwill bulk store will let me use their big scales for my bags, and my sister will take the stuff away. I wrote packing lists for them, packed up nearly everything else for storage, and we are now living out of rolling carry-on bags. A little nervous about Paris, but I am in such a different place about travel now. It wasn't really the travel itself eating me, but rather everything I have to shut down and time right. Also I worry about a few people whom I wish I could help when I am on the other side of the world. I resolve to send more postcards and Skype more this year.

Looking forward to checking out the building's gym and reporting on my fitness/training options. I have been a Dongo back home, but I generally do OK over there. Something about not having so many friends, I guess.:o 

Checking things off the list, though. Today will drop off Goodwill clothes, weigh bags, send stuff with my sister (spices and oils and vinegar and kombucha), take care of the phone plans, communicate with the shipper and sign off on charges, and cook the last of the food in my fridge. Tomorrow, dropping the last off at my other sister's, hopefully taking care of some paperwork dh was too !@#$ self-centered to send in a timely manner, and cleaning. Saturday I will hand over keys and go mostly offline. Need to constantly check my attitude, though. Talking to the ILs on the phone is not putting me in the right state of mind at ALL. disappointed.gif

#308 of 344 Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Jo - Safe travels!  I hope Paris goes smoothly and the ILs are a million times more fun that anticipated.

Thank you all for the continuing support and ideas.  I have to cruise but have been taking notes and thinking and being in contact with the teachers.  Still unclear how all this will play out.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#309 of 344 Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 AM

Putting this here so both Gaye and Lisa (not on FB) will see it.

I'm coming to Denver for this meeting. I just got out of my saturday obligation, but need to be there sat night for the cheap flight. Saturday travel gets me there ~1230 or 1 on Saturday. I could come friday if you were both busy both sat afternoon and all day sun. (dates: 10/25 is friday, 10/26 is sat, 10/27 is sun).

Would one or both of you be free Saturday late day or Sunday? I really would like to go hiking. I am NOT bringing kiddos along, but would be totally fine if you had your kiddos along for a hike. Geofizz and I are having an extended sleepover party, but I think she's busy one of those weekend days.

#310 of 344 Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Busy Saturday, totally free Sunday.  Home base will be near the convention center.

#311 of 344 Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM

RR: ran 7 yesterday on the TM so that I could fit it in after school work, pick ups, quick store run, watching friend's daughter, and before school skating party.   Tomorrow running 16 with running partners because she works this weekend, and now I do too.  Ds1 will ride his bike with us.  I'm now up to 3 toes with blisters from my new shoes and not sure what to do about it.  If they just toughen up and become callouses, I'd be thrilled.  Who cares about pretty feet when preparing for a race, lol.

NRR: got paperwork that we are being sued for things that the renters have done while living in our old house.   The city mailed it to the rental house which they just "return to sender" on the envelope.  Now finding out that this started back in January!  The kicker is that the court date is smack in the middle of our vacation.  :(  Also, a friend told me yesterday that she has breast cancer and is having a double mastectomy on September 30th.  :(  So I've dedicated my new pink shoes to her and all the miles run in them.

So, I've been eating crap as my way of coping.

#312 of 344 Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 PM

RM, boo to blisters, crummy court case (and tenants!) and so sorry about your friend. I hope the long run has minimal blisters and lots of catharsis.

Jo, wishing you a safe travels and a smooth transition back to your winter home and life. Hopefully the IL troubles are minimal.

Kerc, Geo, Lisa & Gaye, fingers crossed for the logistics working for a big meet-up. Sounds fun!

RR- I am turning the corner with this cold and should be well enough for bootcamp tomorrow, provided I get another good night's sleep.

NRR- I just loaded up on fall produce at the market. The first Brussels sprouts of the year!

#313 of 344 Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 PM

tara~Welcome back!

geo and kerc~I am off work on Friday and Saturday. I may work Sunday (that schedule isn't out yet), but if so it won't be until evening. We should be totally open Saturday and the majority of Sunday. Would love to hike, dine, run, gab, whatever! joy.gif

rr~Um, yeah. I was supposed to run 8 today. I dropped DS off at school and planned to take a nap before getting the run in...5 1/2 hours later, I woke up. yikes.gif I'm going with my body must have needed the rest instead of the run? bag.gif Tomorrow: 20 miles...

dr~So, I apparently had what my friend is terming the "best breakup ever." We had dinner last night, great conversation, and then some serious conversation started up. I told him what I was thinking...that I like him but I'm not sure I like him enough, etc, etc., and somehow he's ok with that, he's ok with me potentially seeing other people. I mean, really? How does that happen? I have no idea, but I guess I'm going to go with it for now? orngtongue.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#314 of 344 Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Putting this here so both Gaye and Lisa (not on FB) will see it.
I'm coming to Denver for this meeting. I just got out of my saturday obligation, but need to be there sat night for the cheap flight. Saturday travel gets me there ~1230 or 1 on Saturday. I could come friday if you were both busy both sat afternoon and all day sun. (dates: 10/25 is friday, 10/26 is sat, 10/27 is sun).
Would one or both of you be free Saturday late day or Sunday? I really would like to go hiking. I am NOT bringing kiddos along, but would be totally fine if you had your kiddos along for a hike. Geofizz and I are having an extended sleepover party, but I think she's busy one of those weekend days.

kerc--I'm running a half-mary Saturday morning but will be done noonish or so and free the rest of the day. Sunday is similar (church, not another race) but I'm free by 10 or so. Hiking would be fun, either afternoon. My kids might come depending on when we go and whether they'd rather do the Halloween stuff at the rec center or whatnot (DH will take them so I don't have to worry about it).

tjsmama--good luck tomorrow. Sorry I couldn't run with you! Now that it's cooler, we could try Thursdays if that works for you. We're basically open from 10 (after J's violin lesson) all the way until 3ish 'cause R has Spanish after school on Thursdays.

No RR, but I did a bunch of walking around the zoo and hit three more yarn stores. I think those will be it for the yarn crawl. R has an early-release day and then we're headed to the mountains for the weekend. The rest of the day was spent moving clothes into the new furniture in the girls' room and helping reorganize. I should have run 3 or 7, but didn't.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#315 of 344 Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 AM

I'm a Dingo this morning! I decided to run/walk from the Y and once I started running, I didn't want to stop. I ended up running 3.7 miles, no walking joy.gif! It was the first time in a long time that I've gotten totally "lost" inside my run and before I knew it, I was almost back to the Y. Not sure why it was so good, why it didn't hurt, or even how I had the cardio fitness to actually run that far, but I'll take it!

Be back later, gotta shower and get to the library.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#316 of 344 Old 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Jaygee~yay for runs that are great!!  so happy for you to have that.

sorry for lacking personals today and yesterday, overwhelmed and just tired.

RR: 16 miles with RP and ds1 on his bike this morning after dropping off other kids at their schools.  We were 40 seconds faster than our normal pace per mile.  I REALLY needed that run, not the faster part, just the RP chat and LR.  Ds1 did fantastic!!  Afterwards he said he "just feels happy", exercise high?  better than the other kind!!

#317 of 344 Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Gaye - just a fly-by to say that this whole "you're the guy" thing has irked.gif me. Who says women are all looking for "the one"? (Hollywood). Who says that a guy shouldnt bring , ehem, the whole package for you to feel compelled by him (compelled to spend time with him, intellectually compelled, physically compelled ...). As someone who has been with the same person for almost 20 years, I wish I had had more self-knowledge, perspective, confidence, more of my own direction in life (or held more tightly to the one I had) when I was not committed to someone. I think you should be exploring the other person's whole self, and learning from that what you can, until the collision of checked boxes and intuition happens! So should everyone. Sex is fun. Dating can be fun, or *just* a learning experience. Why does that have to be a guy thing blahblah.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#318 of 344 Old 09-27-2013, 12:06 PM

But sparkle, what about "hoggamus, higgamous, men are polygamous; higgamous, hoggamus, women monogamous"?  (insert saracastic emoticon here...)

I agree, the idea of "being the guy" is based on bogus assumptions about how women and men "should be" in relationships. 

RR- Bootcamp tonight! A bit of coughing, but I think I can still do it.

#319 of 344 Old 09-27-2013, 02:02 PM

Oh, I don't disagree, sparkle. I just think it's kind of funny. Especially in light of J telling me the other night that *he* wasn't looking around anymore but was ok if I do. I mean, really? Not that I'm complaining about it, just never expected to hear it from someone!

rr~20 miles, done. It was alternately good and horrible. It started off well enough...great temp (although slightly misty/drizzly), felt pretty good. Around mile 12, the wheels fell off, thanks to my decision to not wear my orthotics. See, my orthotics are what has been causing the blister issues, and I ran 8 without them on Tuesday, and it was totally fine, so what could go wrong, right? rolleyes.gif Maybe some lovely cramping arch pain in my other foot? With the result that I probably walked 3.5ish miles. Awesome. I finally decided to try to just suck it up (well, ok, I decided that multiple times, but for some reason it actually took this time) around mile 16, and was ok for the rest of the run. I could feel it, but it was tolerable. Note to self: don't do that again. At mile 17, I got a call from DS's school that he bonked heads with another kid at recess and was probably ok, but I should come pick him up. Awesome. Me to school clinic aide: well, I'm three miles from my car and then 20 minutes from school...I'll try to pick up the pace, but I'll be there in about an hour. Sigh. I actually did kind of pick up the pace for the last three miles (I'm sure made possible in no small part thanks to 3.5 miles of walking...), but that was the longest 3 miles ever. Not helped by the fact that the drizzle had turned to a full-on rain, which I was not properly dressed for. Ugh. Nonetheless, even with 3.5 miles of walking, I averaged an 11:30 pace for 20 miles? Not too bad. And I have two 20 milers in this training plan, so I guess I get another shot at it in two weeks.

Oh, and DS is totally fine. I should have left him at school. rolleyes.gif

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#320 of 344 Old 09-28-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Morning mamas,

RM - :Hug You seem to always have so much on your plate!  Time for the universe to cut you some serious slack!

Gaye -   What a run!  Why are the orthotics causing blisters now?  :lurk Enjoying your DRs.

JayGee - Yay for the run!

So I finally talked to the mom of the kid who I suspected was the leader of the pack and as so often happens, you just never know what people are dealing with.  Two weeks ago her older daughter (about 3 years older) tried to commit suicide and she'd been in Seattle with her until late this week.  So it still sucks that this kid can be a jerk and aimed it at dd but it's hard to imagine that that didn't somehow play into her world view on how to deal.  According to this mom all the girls are really repentant and are collectively trying to think of how to make up with C.  I told her it might be a long road because of C's history with this stuff and she was really understanding.  And, this all seems pretty small potatoes compared to what she's dealing with but I'll stay in touch with the teachers and look into therapists (though this mom told me that for months she's been calling around the island and everyone is too full for new clients :().  In any case C is doing better and seems a bit more hopeful about friendships - today she's off-island for soccer with the girl who asked her if she wants to be best friends a few weeks ago  (I don't think they have to be 'best" friends but it's nice to be asked, right?).

I'm fighting off a nasty head cold so I'm going to take this nice rainy day to do some napping while I have the chance!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#321 of 344 Old 09-28-2013, 03:17 PM

Glad you got some background info and that C is doing better, plady. hug.gif

I'm really not sure why my orthotics are irritating so much right now. I've had periodic problems with them in the past, but never this bad. I suspect that they're just getting old and either need redone entirely or just recovered, but I haven't had time (or money, I'm on a high-deductible plan) to get into the podiatrist. I think it got set off when I went for that first trail run this year a month or so ago...my trail shoes just increase the pressure in that spot. I'm hopeful that maybe with a week off to heal (and a little protection next time), maybe they'll be ok from here on out. Regardless, I learned my lesson about not wearing my orthotics for a 20 mile run. bag.gif

Work was INSANE last night. We do not have the space or the staffing for as many babies as we are having at our hospital right now. We had two med-surg float nurses and a call person on last night, and still not enough people. I was one of the admit nurses, and we had 10 babies last night. 9 of them were between 9p and 3a. That is a whole crapload of babies. I did not get lunch, and I did not sit down until 6 am. My foot was totally swollen this morning, although it's better after a couple of icings. Both feet just hurt when I got up and stepped on the floor this afternoon, though. 20 miles plus who knows how many more miles running around the halls of UCH last night....ow. And I get to go back for more fun and games tonight, and probably tomorrow night, too (I'm on call). I just feel totally hungover after last night. Ugh. I love me some admitting new babies, but that was TOO MANY BABIES.

#322 of 344 Old 09-28-2013, 03:45 PM

Wow, that is a crazy night, gaye! I hope you have a more sane night tonight.

Plady, I'm really glad that you got the story from the other girls mom. It's amazing how understanding the context provides more insight.

RRish- Bootcamp last night included 100 burpees. I'm feeling stronger than the beginning of the month when I started back at bootamp.

I've been having a week long conversation with my oldest about what she would like to do for physical activity through the winter. We tend to bike/swim less, and she's been generally pretty sedentary over the past rainy week. There is a cross-country team starting at school, which she has flat out refused. When we go climbing she tends to do one or two climbs, then sit in the corner with her book. I punted it back to her and asked her to tell me what she is going to do to keep active through the winter. I'm helped by the requirement from the school that we have "daily physical activity" in our homeschool curriculum. Her suggestion yesterday was yoga- so we've started a 30 day yoga challenge from youtube videos. We did two this morning. I'd still like to see some more heavy physical activity, but this is a good start.

NRR- The rain has come, as has my husband's depression. It's kind of scary to watch, so I strongly encouraged him to go off to a series of art gallery events today, mostly just to get some space from his mood. Then we met grandma at a multicultural lunch, and she offered to take the kids for the afternoon. I'm alone in my clean house working on homework :)

#323 of 344 Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 PM

Hey all

Thanks for the welcome back ladies! Are you all just being nice or does anyone here remember me? lol 

And may I just say

Woo hoo! Got in all my workouts this week and then some. Gotta love the come back enthusiast. 4 runs in this week plus a 60 min and a 90 min walk. I. am. sore. Right now though cause DH and I took a looong walk to the marina along with our run today, kinda without planning to but it was nice and scenic and the company was welcome :)

All I can say is that I hope gaining weight before loss is normal. I've heard it can be. Because rather than lose anything I have somehow gained 2.5 pounds this week. headscratch.gif Um, did I ask about this last time? Milk brain. Also having what is either a heat/sun headache from today or getting my kids' cold... or both. Gah.  

One ecological breastfeeding nak.gif om.gif, married to an awesome dh_malesling.GIFintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif treehugger.giffamilybed2.gifecbaby2.gifhomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpgwhale.gif Our family is definitelymaybe complete! hale

#324 of 344 Old 09-29-2013, 05:42 AM

Plady - it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job mama! It will mean SO much to C besides the things that will result from your effort. Just having someone so ardently go to bat for her, to have her concerns and emotions taken seriously, to be treated with respect and acknowledged as deserving of respect ... hell, adults would like an advocate like that in their lives (redface.gif) and for her to get built up now and have that to lean on throughout her life is a great gift. Well done hug.gif

Gaye - :nuts as usual Life is crazy but you are blessed all around - just notice that when things pile on. You love your job, you have a great relationship with your kid, you are training well, and watching out for yourself in romance, holding out for what you need/want, you have really created the life you wanted from two years ago at every turn. Its amazing and wonderful. You ROCK, as always

Lofty - hug.gif Oh mama, I have been thinking of you. Sp hard to take care of others but still need someone to take care of YOU! I wish we could circle the wagons around you and hold you up through this. Make sure you are feeding your own spirit through this too - yoga, walking, nourishing food, sleep, writing (even if its short), swimming (have you been able to go?). goodvibes.gif arent enough but Im sending them

RR: walked the dogs once this week b/c the vet. said one of them is obese bag.gif

NRR: Things are very hard. Not sure why but the good mood of summer, or at least the consistent mood of summer, has taken a turn. I'm trying not to think about it at all. Literally turning my thoughts away from these feelings at every thought. I can say for sure that I have had the "clinical" version now, and its indescribably awful. Anyway, I'm doing everything I can to deflect it ... I havent seen a pdoc and I dont want to try meds, although when its at its worst I think they might be my only salvation. So Im in the process of making an appt. Also getting back to accupuncture, as that seemed to help in the spring a little, including the herbs

Awhile back Jo asked for the motivation to meditate (like, could I give her the recipe) and what I was going to say then and am reminded of now is suffering. The real, deep down thing that gets me to do it is suffering or fear of returning to it. I have been more lax about meditation the past 4 months than Ive been in the nearly 7 years since Ive been doing it. And not only have some gerd symptoms reared their ugly heads, but another (I had a little rash on my right eyelid when I had gerd, that went away too with meditation, and now my right eyeball is dry as can be and burns; I think these are related). I have been doing a little reading about D (The Noonday Demon, only 25 pages in so far but very good), and one thing he mentions is the potential hypothlamic link to it, and right away my intuition went "ding!" I have skipped, entirely, meditating for much of the summer, mostly b/c I felt so good on all fronts. Now I am back to 2x day, which is what reverses the gerd symtoms, and I hope, has some effect on D. Thing is, it usually takes several months for things to improve, so right now I am just enduring, which is a daily, sometimes hourly, CBT mindgame. It's exhausting, needless to say.

Other things Im doing (for MelW): 5000mg of vitamin D (just started this week, also said to show an effect in several weeks), increasing Iron, and the accupuncture/herbs. Also trying to move my body in some way. Maybe just a dog walk now and then.

Today I feel up for a gym visit, so I am headed out. My plan is 30 minutes. That's part of how Im getting out there: all I have to do it 30 minutes of something

Hi to everyone else ... This is a strangely miraculous group no?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#325 of 344 Old 09-29-2013, 05:44 AM

Plady - it's good to know the backstory there.

Tara - welcome back!

Gaye - holy babies! That sounds totally exhausting.

MelW - I hope your husband's mood brightens a little today hug.gif.

RR - none yesterday, but happy to report no soreness or knee pain from Friday's run.

NRR - Anxiously awaiting news of another furlough for DH due to government shutdown irked.gif. I have once again overextended myself with volunteering and am somehow in charge of Class Baskets for the PTO auction. Plus the library of course. And teaching Sunday School. And co-leading DD2's Brownie troop. One of these days I'm going to have to learn to say NO!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#326 of 344 Old 09-29-2013, 06:54 AM

... This is a strangely miraculous group no?

:yeah

sparkle~:Hug

gaye~11:30 that included 3.5 miles of walking is amazing! You are seriously getting speedier. As for the dr, does this mean you're still seeing J while shopping around, or are you taking a clean break from him?

plady~I dumped a friend in 7th grade and can still feel the pain of the guilt and remorse I felt immediately afterward. I have the familiar lump in my chest just typing about it now. I did it because another friend, a queen bee type I assume though I haven't read the book, told me to. It sounds like you and your dh are handling it really well. Poor C!

lofty~Is there any way you can squeeze in a swim? That seems to nourish your soul so effectively; I can't help but think the time away from your MIL would be worth the refocused, re-engergized you that she'd get after your swim.

jaygee~:goodvibes for dh's job news.

nrr~My dd's (10 and 8) had friends sleep over last night. This morning I walked in on the older dd telling the assembled group that there's no Santa or Tooth Fairy. Cuss.gifsplat.gifhopmad.gifI'm pissed. Super pissed. I think this is a final straw for me. I'm so done with the attitude and total self-absorption. It's all about her all the time, and she'll leave a path of destruction if it means she thinks she looks cool.  I get that it's somewhat developmentally appropriate, but I don't think the constant iPad and iTouch connection helps. Honestly I don't even know what she's watching on those things half the time. I've chosen the easy route of just letting her do her thing and entertain herself, and I think we're paying the price a bit now. Don't even get me started on the Instagram selfies. She also said the younger friend wanted to know why dh and I fight all the time. Uhhh, maybe because your shitty little attitude pushes us to the max and shoots the tension level in the house to nuclear extremes. Yeah, I'm pissed. Since I'm still in a place of intense anger, I'm hesitant to make an official decision about how to handle this, but I'm leaning toward no electronics or sleepovers for the month of October. Girlfriend really needs a reset button.

another nrr~I spent three days on a wilderness retreat with our junior class this week. Ninety 16-year-old boys doing serious reflection activities and breaking down barriers. It was intense and beautiful. It's also probably fueling my irritation at my dd. 

rr~I'm totally off the wagon. I need to figure out how to fit running into my working life. 

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#327 of 344 Old 09-29-2013, 12:11 PM

Hi mamas,

Towson, :Hug. We don't have exactly this problem, but I am seriously circumscribing screen time for all children starting tomorrow to 1 hour a day or less not including homework stuff (dd1 has homework she needs to do online). I'm getting some blowback from dd1 and ds, who are both the primary problems about having real behavioral changes after spending time with a lighted screen of some kind. It is like sisyphus, constantly pushing the boulder back uphill. sigh.

Sparkle, I hope things turn around for you. I feel your pain to some degree; now that I"m headed into the seasonal 'tunnel' I am increasingly anxious over what the cold and dark will mean for my mood and ability to cope. I can almost even deal with the dark but the cold sets me right over the edge. Upping vitamin d and c are good plans and I am making arrangements I think to have a session with a personal trainer so s/he can show me some good strength training routines to keep me on task even when I can't run (and anyway I really need that). But I'm definitely scared of what's coming.

JayGee, hope dh's furlough isn't too bad. :irked

RR: Ran the Providence Rock n Roll half marathon this morning. I went yesterday and spent the day/evening with a very dear college friend, with whom I don't have to have any self-screening at all. It is so liberating to be able to do that. She knew she was going to do it a while ago and sprang for the hotel, which was adjacent to the expo and the start and finish line, so that was awesome. We had a really nice time together such that the actual race was secondary. I didn't go in with high hopes, because ds jumped on me yesterday and wrenched my back but good. I wasn't even sure I'd be able to run, and I ended up sleeping with one of those disposable hot packs on my back all night. I had been seeded in a slower corral for some reason and that ended up being fine. It took a long time to cross the start and then shuffle out of everyone's way, and then it took me about 4 miles to shake loose so I could feel I'd make it through ok. I was very careful about not going out too fast like last year, not taking anything other than water from the volunteers, and remembering the hills are killer. In the end I had negative splits with my last two miles being the fastest. So even though my race time was pretty slow (2:08:54) and slower than last year (2:05), I considered it a success. Last year I finished in total misery and upset over not making my goal time (under 2) and all the mishaps of the race; this year I thought running was a wild card anyway so had no real expectations. Attitude is everything I guess. I don't know if I am really capable of a sub 2 anymore (and my 2:03 PR was in flat Florida) but I will keep training, increase the strength to more than just swimming and yoga, and see what happens.

Now to the grocery store. Love you mamas. :hippie

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#328 of 344 Old 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM

NIc, glad you had a great race with a friend. Hope your back is better!

Towson,
Quote:
Ninety 16-year-old boys doing serious reflection activities and breaking down barriers. It was intense and beautiful. It's also probably fueling my irritation at my dd.
Ya think? winky.gif Sounds like a great trip. Sorry about dd. greensad.gif

JG, Repeat after me: "No." "No, no, no, no, no." Here's the twisted way my dh & I play this game: "Maybe there is someone out there who needs that volunteer/connection opportunity. So maybe tell yourself you can say no, b/c you'd be taking someone else's spot." Good luck! Thinking of you and your dh during this new furlough. greensad.gif

Plady, sigh. Backstory is good. I hope that's some consolation for C. Of course, the coolest thing is that someone (you) went to bat for her. I get so intimidated. I think it's awesome that you did that!

Gaye, September babies? We have a LOT of September birthdays. MIL & I were just talking about that. Count back nine months and it's a New Year celebration & the middle of winter. Hope that foot is better.

Sparkle & Towson, thanks for the good vibes. I will get in a swim on Wed. I'm just stunned by how someone can go from walking around just fine to needing a wheelchair in less than two weeks. I've had a crash course on hospice. Read the book. Doing the work. No workout, no run, tonight is my first quiet night in my own house in 2 weeks. My gut feels messed up. I need to get some sleep. Dh & I have had 2 (unrelated) arguments in 3 days. I will swim on Wed and if I close my eyes, I can almost feel the bliss of the water, smell the trees outside, and see the natural light streaming in. Maybe I can find a day to go a second time, too.

Sparkle, you have such a good read on all you're going through. I love that figured out the great summer-previous meditation connection to how you're feeling now. I really think that meditating is something I'd like to try. I have an evil cynic I'd have to kill first.

Tara, I've experienced gaining weight before losing. That seems normal to me. Welcome back! smile.gif

MelW, thinking of you and your family right now, too. hug.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#329 of 344 Old 09-29-2013, 11:22 PM

tjsmama--so 20 in two weeks, eh? DH's parents will be visiting, which means my Friday morning will be totally open if you want to run. I can do 10, maybe 12 with you at a location of your choosing. smile.gif Oh, and now I'm biglaugh.gif at TOO MANY BABIES. It's always funny from the outside. wink1.gif

Plady--egads. I hope everyone can get the help they need there!

MelW--100 burpees!!! Good for you! goodvibes.gif too regarding your DH and all the other family dynamics.

sparkle-- goodvibes.gifgoodvibes.gifgoodvibes.gif

towsonmama--sorry to hear about your older DD, and good luck handling the situation. Though if it helps, I don't think it's a tragedy if 8 and 10 yos learn there's no Santa. I think my kids believe, but I don't encourage it. I just don't go out of my way to be the dream-crusher. But yeah on the screen time. That's a constant struggle here for a number of reasons.

Nic--great race and hope it gives you some reserves for the coming cold weather.

lofty-- goodvibes.gif to you too.

RR: 15 miles on Saturday along Lake Granby, 6 at something approximating race pace. Between the high altitude and hills and my asthma still being touchy, RP wasn't happening but I could at least put forth that kind of effort. Today was supposed to be 7 miles with six 3-min hill repeats. I did the hill repeats on a trail with some pretty steep uphills. Some of them were mostly power walking. But after the hill repeats I still needed to go 3-ish miles and I didn't have it in me. So, 5.25. Oh well. shrug.gif At least it was pretty.

NRR: meh. DH is doing his fall thing, so there was yet another round of "emotional spewing" on our drive back from the mountains. This is mostly notable because he spent 5 minutes complaining that I leave his clean, folded laundry on his dresser and he has to, sigh, put it away. Apparently the issue was that on Friday he only wanted to pack for the mountains and resented having to put away a couple of t-shirts, few pair of socks and some underwear. Oh the humanity! If only I could have left him those clean clothes on another day, one perhaps more convenient for his schedule? splat.gif That led to the rest of the usual diatribe about how selfish I am. I almost wish I could knock him unconscious when he starts in. It would be a lot easier on both of us.

#330 of 344 Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 AM

Real, I'm sorry your dh was being a tool. Mine too. You know what we need? THat magic zapper from Men In Black.

loftmama and Realrellim like this.

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page