Dingos Fall into September Action! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 344 Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you ever just wish you could pick up the phone and call one of your dingo friends? Having one of those afternoons.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#62 of 344 Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Um, all.the.time. redface.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#63 of 344 Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Um, all.the.time. redface.gif

Exactly nod.gif

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#64 of 344 Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Yep.

Plady--I'm so sorry.

Knitting and sewing Dingoes: I want to put a fabric backing on this afghan so it looks cute on both sides. Would you recommend cotton or fleece? I'm also tempted to use batting and then sew it along each of the panels so it looks quilted--but OTOH, that might be a really bad idea. Thoughts?
9672072907_2f13df0a53_n.jpg 9672139327_86e0c41cdd_n.jpg

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#65 of 344 Old 09-04-2013, 04:04 PM

plady~ :candle Thinking of you, dh, and your girls.

real~:clap Nice work, girlfriend. Color me impressed.

kerc~:nod

rm~Still thinking of you too.

gaye~Sitter, eh? Totally stalking you on Friday.

lofty~I remember you asked (and thank you!), but I haven't responded: school is going really well. I work in an all-boys high school, and my most of my time is spent with the ADD/ADHD/Executive Function Disorder crew, and I couldn't love them anymore. Seriously. They're like a litter of overgrown puppies in all the best ways. Love.them! The days sure do fly, that's for sure.

nrr~Work related--so I'm working closely with a 12th grader right now that was diagnosed with post-concussive syndrome in 2009. He's still suffering severe symptoms. I work in a very athletics-focused school; most of my guys go on to play division 1 sports. It's been fascinating and horrifying to learn about post-concussive syndrome firsthand. I can't even imagine what some of the NFL players are going through. I'm thinking I want to do more research on this.

rr~Uhhh...I decided to repeat the last week of my half-mary training. Which really means I'm taking a little break this week. Please, please, please hold me accountable for getting back to it next week!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#66 of 344 Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM

Plady, It is hard not to wish for one more time to say goodbye. My condolences for your family's loss.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#67 of 344 Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 PM

Plady, my condolences to all of you. I hope the news to the girls went okay this afternoon.

The final can of 40lbs of tomatoes just pinged. It was terrific to have a friend to do it with me, and next year we're planning to do more. She also has a full pear tree, ambitions for blackberry picking and an amazing plan for crabapple cordial. Despite my assertions, I think I'm not quite finished my food preservation for the year.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#68 of 344 Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 PM

plady~candle.gif So sorry for your loss.

rm~Still thinking of you and your DH's family.

towson~the concussion stuff is horrifying, and one of the big reasons I'm glad not to be actively working as an athletic trainer right now. Also, why DS will not be allowed to play football (not that I think he will want to, but that doesn't really matter bag.gif).

real~clap.gif Looks great! I have no helpful advice to add. orngtongue.gif Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Today was jam-packed full o'fun. rolleyes.gif I got to start off after school drop-off by going to get my fasting lab draw that I haven't been able to squeeze in the last two weeks done. I had an appointment for 8:45. I arrived at 8:30, in hopes of getting in and out a little early. No go. There was only one woman working in the lab, both at the desk and as the phlebotomist. And the woman who arrived ahead of me had some sort of problem that required major sorting out. I left at 9:10, approximately three minutes after I finally got taken back for my appointment. Then it was off to the DMV, since even though I renewed my plates online at the end of July, my new tags never arrived (which, of course, I realized on Friday, sigh). An hour and a half later, it was my turn, and less than three minutes later, I was walking out with my tags. Urgh. By this point, it was too late (aka too HOT) to get my run done outside, so I finally went to the grocery store for the first time in weeks, and then headed off to the Y to run on the treadmill. Straight from there back to school to pick up DS. dizzy.gif

The tri club I joined this summer had a night at the Rockies game (baseball) tonight. I kind of debated last week whether I should invite J (match guy) or not, but ultimately decided not to. Mostly because I wanted to keep my options open in case there were cute single guys there. bag.gif I was kind of regretting that decision a little, and then the friends that I knew left early, and I moved over to hang out with the rest of the group, and guess what...there was a cute single guy there. We talked for a long while, and he ended up walking me to my car. Hmm. Just talking, he's really nice, and did I mention cute? So, no info was exchanged, but he definitely acted like he was interested in me, and I know he's going to be at the race that I'm doing a relay at in two weeks. Of course, J is doing that race, too...on the bright side, DS will be at the race, so I have an excuse to act kind of distant if I want to, right? bag.gif We'll see how things are going at that point, I guess. redface.gif

rr~As mentioned, WAY too hot to run outside by the time I had time to run today, so off to the Y for the dreadmill. My usual hamster wheel hill workout, one hour, 6 miles, done. Tomorrow: I get to run with real!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#69 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 AM

Wow, Gaye. Sounds like you are back in the game, indeed! 

MelW, I did pears when I was back on the farm and had a friend with a tree and no time. I did half spiced and half plain and they were out of sight. Yum.

Kids and I are packed and finishing off the contents of the fridge for breakfast. Hitching a ride to the bus station in a couple hours. Looking forward to all the reading I am going to do on the train. I have Free Range Learning queued up for after I finish Cutting for Stone (which I am really liking). And Gone Girl and Flight Behavior are waiting, too. The fiction is all borrowed, so naturally it is a priority over the homeschool book. hide.gif

Talked with dh and it sounds like our original Morocco plans should work out, so that's a positive. Does not look like we will be spending the weeks on the renovation project, though. Not sure what happened there, but I'm cool with that. We'll do a little road tripping and spend the rest of the time reading. Probably going to have to pack some non-digital books for that.

Also, I bought some shoes. Easy Spirits, the kind that have a light athletic sole and a mary jane upper, so that I can do this trip in one pair of shoes (and I am weird and vain about dressing for travel, and will not wear running shoes with non-running clothes or for non-exercise pursuits). Since we are traveling old-school, we each have one bag, which we can carry. I have all my stuff for a week in my tote (which is usually my purse). My kids tell me the shoes look like grandma shoes. I guess that's just me at 40. There goes the vanity.

RR: Haha.

#70 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 AM
bec

Poo on the kids, Jo.  I think those sounds like adorable shoes! 

The kids all have off of school today.  Not that I mind, but I do find it a little strange that this ultra Christian town has Rosh Hashanah off?  Not complaining, just trying to figure it out. 

RR: Did a strength workout yesterday.  Not much, but much better than the no strength that I have been doing.  And I'm sore in the appropriate places today, so that is something.  In the evening, it was tri class.  The coach is doing something different this session and we are focusing on swimming, exclusively.  It has been a long time since I have been in the pool for a concentrated hour long workout.  Lots of drills, ending with a 10 minute time trial (did 19 lengths, which is a 475 yard swim in 10 minutes).  Then, up at 5 to have a 3.6 mile run with a friend.  My speed seems to be coming back a little bit.  Well, speed, such as it is.  My friend is just getting back into running, so is very slow.  But it's nearly 3/4 of a mile to where we meet up.  On the way home, I found myself in a natural 11:30 pace!  It's the little things. If only the scale would reflect all of this!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#71 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 AM

RR - (yay!) Met a friend and biked all over the backroads north of town for 1 hour 45 minutes. Man, am I out of shape! Those hills were a killer. I have no idea how far we rode because the road crews were out tarring and chipsealing, so we kept having to turn around and find new routes.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#72 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Would dingo mamas like your own group forum? You guys rock and your discussions certainly would seem to benefit  from the perks of a group forum. Let me know. I can set one up and get you started! :thumb

#73 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Morning mamas,

Thanks everyone for the condolences.  Dh is off tomorrow to St. Louis to pack up her things.  He and his sister are organizing a memorial service at Wash U where she was a prof for many many years.  I feel sad that I'm not going with the kids but dh's side of the family would undoubtedly frown on the expense of hauling 4 across the country when 1 would do and it's his mom so that's that.  I do wonder if we'll ever go out there to visit again.  I didn't live there for long but I do feel some ties to the area and it seems a shame if all that dies with his mom.

MelW - I've been obsessing a little over those pickled green beans we had at your place.  Could you post the recipe please? :loveeyes   We keep getting rained out of blackberry picking and I'm afraid that the window has closed on the best berries at this point.  Maybe if it dries up we'll get a second chance.  I feel like I've dropped the ball this year even though we still have some in the freezer from last year.  I'm also hatching a plan to try and make perry from the nasty little pears our two pear trees are full of this year. We shall see...

Real - Did you make that?  That's amazing!  I'm not crafty like that at all but I think the idea of batting and fleece sounds cozy and snug.

Jo - I look forward to hearing about your fieldtrip!  

Kerc/Sparkle/All - you can always pick up the phone.  Three six oh three two nine eight four thousand eight.  I'm even getting better at remembering to bring it with me and keep it on (and charged!).  I'm not the world's biggest phone fan but I'd love to hear a dingo voice on the other end.

Ugh, I have more personals but I've run out my time.  I had extra this morning because the fall play I was building the set for just yesterday has been cancelled due to casting issues (divas, sickness and a suicide in the family - the weirdness on the island continues!).  Love to you all!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#74 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Would dingo mamas like your own group forum? You guys rock and your discussions certainly would seem to benefit  from the perks of a group forum. Let me know. I can set one up and get you started! :thumb

Cynthia what does "own group forum" mean?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#75 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM

I'd like to say hi. I'm in a very yucky place. I want to rip everyone's head off and bury myself in a hole and be left alone, which I am doing psychicly if not literally. Why does Dh always have to touch me with his brow furrowed and a concerned puppy look on his face when I withdraw like this. Cant you see that I just want to be left alone - that's why I spent so much time away from the family in my bedroom yesterday, hello! Im hoping this is the big dip before AF. She hasnt been around for almost 2 mos. and that makes me nervous (on hrt, dont want endometrium building without a shed...)

On the upside, I am writing. Same happened in DE that year. I seem to need to feel alone, disconnected, depressed, withdrawn to feel like writing ... (and then I submit a few things, get rejected, bury the writing in a hole)

RR: ha!

NRR: did I mention my dog cant walk? Carrying her around the house like she's 18 instead of 3. The pads on most of her paws lost the top layer of skin greensad.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#76 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Sparkle - Could she wear some booties with ointment on her feet?  If it's any consolation our dog has a nasty cut on her pad, from what I can't imagine, it looks like she was using a knife and it slipped.  DH and I tried to superglue it shut but she was too wiggly so we left her to her own devices.  She doesn't seem to be too bothered nor does she seem to be holding a grudge.  I'm sorry that you're in that dark place.  And that after all my big talk this morning I left my phone on the counter at home. :eyesroll

Cynthia - Also curious about the advantages of forming a group.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#77 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Cynthia what does "own group forum" mean?

It's like having a forum of your own. You have a title, description, ability to have separate threads within it so you have a thread list of all your different topics. You also have the ability to PM everyone who is a member of your group. 

We recently started one for the Moms of Many, which you can see here.

#78 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Our own forum?? Pretty cool.

Plady- I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm sorry that you couldn't be there. Hugs.

Here at the hospital for day two. We are nearing the end. They have removed the catheter, the heart monitor, fluids. He hasn't output anything since yesterday (hence no need for the bag). He has started the apnoea breathing, has a temp, hasn't required any increase in morphine since last night, all signs that the end is near. Dh told me he wouldn't have forgiven himself if he had not come. Thank you so much for the prayers love and support.
#79 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 01:15 PM
bec

Oh Lisa. I'm so sorry. Giant hugs and sending you waves of strength and peace.

#80 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Nope, I like the single discussion. A forum would fragment stuff and raise the barrier for posting what's going on in our lives.

Plady, thinking of you.

Peace, Lisa

Came home to my front porch hosting a little fire from our toaster oven. Pro tip: take the ham and cheese sandwich off the plastic plate before putting it in the toaster over. Science lesson: plastic is a petroleum product.

care.com is giving me nada greensad.gif

Thinking of all dingoes today. Are the dingoes safe today?
#81 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Geo--Glad the science experiment, as it were, was resolved effectively. We're safe here, though I immediately thought oh crud, what's going on now?

We do have the typical seasonal assortment of creeps crawling out of their hidey holes. This week's assortment includes a convicted sex offender who's been approaching children and is reported to have lollipops and rope in his backseat (note to self: do not run on the Big Dry Creek trail through that area this weekend), a different report of a freak in a car talking to children on their way to school in Denver, and the flashing reports at my downtown Denver campus. Oddly, it's it's a completely different guy that in past years, the previous offender having been arrested after years of not being caught.

sparkle--hope your doggie recovers soon. I too wonder if you could wrap her paws with some gauze, or whether that might make it worse. Also, hope you're able to get the space and time you need for the next few days. greensad.gif

RM-- goodvibes.gif for all of you.

kerc--your tube is on its way. And if it looks like there was melted chocolate on it, um, yeah, there was. A certain 3yo had a Z-bar and hadn't wiped her hands and somehow got hold of it. redface.gif

RR: 6 hot miles with tjsmama, who rocked the run. We averaged a 10:30 pace which was crazy considering that it was in the 80s and she'd already run 5 miles and I was pushing a jogger. It was so ridiculously hot. And my caffeine levels had dropped, so by the end I was a little dazed and not my usual energetic, let's go! self. I was pretty much like "ok, we're running. ok, we're stopping. boy it's hot." Tjsmama would say "I don't want to run anymore" and I'd think "me neither!" lol.gif I'll make sure to caffeinate better before we run together next time, I promise!

NRR: school choir started this morning. Getting out of the house by 7:15 is painful in this house and 7:30 am is too early for sightreading, really. Oh well. redface.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#82 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Wow, Gaye. Sounds like you are back in the game, indeed! 
lol.gif That's funny because I don't think I ever was in the game in the first place!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Nope, I like the single discussion. A forum would fragment stuff and raise the barrier for posting what's going on in our lives.
yeahthat.gif I worry that things would get lost if they were in separate threads. I feel like the one big thread can get overwhelming at times, but it's also easy to just jump back in at any point. It might be a lot harder to keep up if all the individual stuff was splintered off. Of course, we could probably keep it just to a couple of active threads at a time...say race calendar, results, and the usual monthly thread?

sparkle~hug.gifgoodvibes.gif

lisa~hug.gif for you as well. Hoping it all goes peacefully.

So, the guy FB friended me this morning. redface.gif We've exchanged a couple short and very benign messages, but that's it so far. Meanwhile, ready to go for tonight's date...

rr~As real said, it was HOT. Holy crow. The first 5 by myself weren't too bad, but then the temperature skyrocketed. Yes, when we were running, it was a pretty good pace, but there was an awful lot of rest breaks. I am so over this heat. Hello, it's September, it should not be in the 90's every day! At least I got my 11 in, ugly or not!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#83 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 05:10 PM

Easy pickled beans:
Wash and cut ends of green (or yellow!) beans. For crisper beans, keep in cold water bath or fridge.

Make brine in ratio of 4 cups water, 4 cups 5% vinegar (or adjust with more water if using 7% pickling vinegar. See conversation about relevance of algebra) and scant 1/2 c kosher or pickling salt.

In each 500ml jar (pint) put one head fresh dill, one or two cloves garlic and a few whole peppercorns. For spicy beans add some hot pepper (1/4 jalapeño or whatever you have on hand; can also use hot pepper flakes I'm told)

Pack jars with beans.

Add brine leaving a bit of headspace.

Process 5 mins. Store for a couple of weeks before eating. Or serve early to dingo guests because you're impatient smile.gif

#84 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM

I like the single thread too. It's easy to read along on my phone and jump in when I get a chance. Sometimes I even like the chance for escape that I get when I fall a few pages behind here and have to hide in my bedroom and catch up.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#85 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM

Canning: I'm afraid of pressure cookers. I need to get over it.

#86 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Single thread Yes

#87 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM

How ya doin', sparkle? I've been thinking of you today.

#88 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM
bec

Agreed on the single thread. Although, I always get a kick whenever I see a dingo elsewhere on MDC. Yes, I'm a dork.

Gaye and Real - I am jealous of your runs together. When is a dingo going to visit Chicago?! Lol

#89 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM

I don't have a pressure canner. I just can fruit, pickles, tomatoes and jams that can be done in the boiling water bath.

Thinking of you, sparkle.

Agreed that the single thread works well for us.

Tjsmama and real, amazing run in the heat!!

#90 of 344 Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 PM

bec--I'll make it out there sooner or later to visit relatives and go to homecoming at our alma mater. It's not happening this year, thanks to a lack of fall teaching income and buying a new car. I'm not sure we'd be anywhere near your location: my relatives are mostly in the (far) southern 'burbs and we went to school in NW Indiana. Though if we came out for more than a few days and took the girls to the Museum of Science & Industry (one of the best ever, IMO), that would give us more options.

canning--I only use the water bath method too. I don't have a big enough pressure cooker and don't want to shell out the money for one. My mom gave me her old huge stock pot a few years ago because she decided she had retired from canning. She used to can a ton. I distinctly remember the year she put up 42 quarts of beans. I kept telling her that when they asked what we'd done all summer, I was going to tell them how many beans I had snapped. My sister and I spent so many days sitting in the basement floor with dishpans full of beans that either had been snapped or needed to be. I think I lost count somewhere in the thousands. lol.gif

I put up four pints of salsa tonight, and I seem to have enough to make a few pints of pasta sauce tomorrow, plus a few more pints of salsa. I'll probably make some other versions of pasta sauce to freeze, which tends to be a better use of my time and the tomatoes, but a few canned pints are nice to have.

I've also realized that a crazy amount of my year revolves around tomatoes. I plant the seeds in mid-January or a little later, and then I'm tending seedlings or plants all the way into October. When the forecast warns of a hard frost we run out and pull all the rest of the tomatoes (usually in the dark 'cause somehow we don't get around to looking at the weather until 9 pm) and the last of those ripen around Thanksgiving or some lucky years, Christmas. Then I get a month off and start all over again. I really love (to eat) tomatoes. yummy.gif

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page