Dingos Fall into September Action! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jo and RM - We xposted hug.gifgrouphug.gif

Lofty - 1000 per DAY?! biglaugh.gif Um,, I could do 100, maybe. I could definitely commit to something, but I would really like comments (as opposed to just checking in and saying, yes, Ive written, have you). I get really stuck in my own head/thoughts/words, and feel the need for a jolt of outside perspective now and then, whatever form that takes ("this sucks!" would be fine loveeyes.gif)

Watermelon margaritas or green tea mojitos anyone? Or just beer, wine, or G&T's? I'm afraid there will be some drunk tie-dyeing going on here tomorrow. Stand back kids ...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#242 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 01:49 PM

I like the idea of drinks and tie-dye mixing! Green tea mojitos sound interesting to me. Watermelon margaritas sound too sweet for me. I'm big on sour. redface.gif

Word-count: you decide. It's totally a personal thing. Feedback? I'm very guarded (and very protective) but let me think about it. Just wrote 1,400 words: 1000 fiction + 400 non-fiction. But my 1400 could be 1300 words of crap to your 100 words of beauty. wink1.gif But, yeah, I'm thinking about the feedback thing...

Okay, must go round up kids for School, Part Deux.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#243 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Lofty - yeah, the funny thing about the sweet/sour thing is I'm totally not a sweet drink person (I will probably be doing G&T's myself) but the watermelon one was the least sweet b/c instead of sugar syrup, you use blended watermelon with lots of lime juice and white tequila, which is less sweet. Um, yeah, I spent too much time thinking about this for the very reason that I wanted drinks that I would actually like but that others would like too. Rum is sweet, so I thought the acidity of the green tea would balance that somewhat. We'll see. In any case, Im so tired from prepping (literally we havent done a thing to our house in the year since we bought it and just landscaped, furnished and cleaned in the last 2 weeks lol.gif) that I just want to sit and drink bag.gif Although I will be running around helping kids dye, and drinking lol.gif

We live in a "nice" house that some people we know actually know of b/c it is sort of big for the neighborhood. Some of our friends (DD2's teacher, one of Dh's colleagues) actually grew up hanging out here with the kids of the couple we bought it from, who lived here for 27 years. So we want to make a good showing a little, as lame as that sounds. Plus, Im a Dingo, and anything we do, we do x100, so this party is going to jammin.giflol.gif Whatever

My 100 are definitely not words of beauty. That's why I set it aside 2 weeks ago and havent done anything - I just got sick of the sound of my own unsatisfying voice ... Maybe we could just check in, and if we have specific feedback we'd like we can ask, but with the understanding that others may not have time. Hm. Let me think about it. I would like some accountability, just not sure what form that should take. Im trying to write an essay/article for submission some time this Fall (for pub. in the Spring if accepted). Needs to be done this Fall, but I am starting to convince myself that its no good, and starting to blow off the goal. Not good...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#244 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Kerc, did you get your car fixed? Saw this, thought of you: http://cheezburger.com/7806847232

We hosted a Finnish student when we were seniors in high school. We've remained in touch ever since. The Finnish system leaves a lot to be desired, most notably, you can only access a full high school education from the cities. She lived mostly alone starting when she was 14 trying to get an education. She also really struggled with application of STEM topics largely because she'd never been asked to do anything like it previously.

She's now got a PhD in nuclear chemistry from a German university. I don't think her application problems were due to a lack of ability.

N=1 (or 2 if we could add in her sister who got her JD in Australia), so take it as an anticdote more than data.
#245 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 04:54 PM

RM, I am so sorry. Was just so hopeful this was behind us. Sure you felt the same.

Lofty and sparkle, I will commit starting Halloween. I can't let this go cold again. And sparkle, I will look at wwoof.org when I have more time, but I am pretty sure I want to do the France stay too. My issue is scheduling around Ramadan. Am thinking Ramadan in Morocco and then a short US visit. I think we got ober a major cultural hump this year.

At my mom's now. Dad is good post-surg, saw Gma (sleeping) and my aunt (looking good). Got my new debit card. Will see my sister and BIL tomorrow.

ETA: my phone makes me stupid
#246 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM

I just want to sit and drink, too. The catch up today for work not done with sick kid on Tuesday was intense. I also had my alternator die yesterday morning (all fixed now) but woke on the whole family at 6:20 to quickly drive me to work (them all in pajamas). Instead of drinking I'll do bootcamp tonight.

Online message boards for class are sucking my will to be a better MDC participant.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#247 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Ok. As any if y'all might have predicted: 2 kids. Well child visit w pediatrician. Both are fine.

Now. To get over myself.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#248 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Jo and RM - So sorry.  Cancer is such a F#$&*r.

JG - Germany ho!  I think high school would be a perfect time to get the heck outta dodge!

Wishing I could sign up for the writing group!  

Hope to be back soon for more personals!  Have fun at the Drink 'n' Dye Sparkle!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#249 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 PM

sparkle - your Drink n' Dye (as Plady put it so perfectly) sounds like a blast! Wish I lived close enough to come.

RM and Jo - hug.gif to you both. Cancer sucks.

Geo - how old is your friend? The Finnish education system reformed since 2000 and that's when all the changes happened. Before that, it wasn't so great.

Good luck all you writers. MDC is pretty much the extent of my writing these days, aside from the occasional grant application rolleyes.gif.

Germany is just a pipe dream right now.

Must go to the library tomorrow. I finished my last book. It's a book emergency!!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#250 of 344 Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Hi mamas. Drive by, more tomorrow night after sundown. Busy and crazy here, and no time to reflect on the amazing wisdom you all have been posting about lately. Stuff I have pondered deeply and reached no worthwhile conclusions, and mostly feel terribly guilty over my inability to make different choices for my kids and myself from lack of bravery and/or life circumstances, take your pick.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#251 of 344 Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

...so take it as an anticdote more than data.
Anecdata! Sometimes, that's my favorite kind. lol.gif

Nic-- {hugs}

JayGee--yes and no. I'd be willing to bet every one of those countries has socialized health care and universal preschool, and good prenatal care (and quite possibly, less special needs as a result of the prenatal care and health care). Also, I'm convinced that focusing on student achievement in comparison to other countries leads to push-through-the-curriculum at all costs. If we want something better, it means we stop talking about how ours students "suck" at {fill in the blank} and others don't. It's a complex issue, but Diane Ravitch touches on the issues that make Finland so successful here: http://dianeravitch.net/2013/09/15/teacher-education-in-finland/ and education issues overall, including how well our students actually are doing, in this podcast: http://onpoint.wbur.org/2013/09/18/diane-ravitch-school-reform

That's looking at it from a national level. The quality varies quite a bit at a local level. We are in a great school despite poor school funding and all, and I'm very grateful for that. The choices are about a billion times harder when that's not an option. Being able to educate elsewhere would be fabulous for your family, especially given everything you've said about those schools.

1jooj and RM--I'm so sorry.

sparkle--yes, yes and yes.

MelW--wishing you more time goodvibes.gif

NRR: bread baked, cake baked, three pints of salsa canned, with more in the fridge (perhaps I'll heat it up tomorrow and can it?) and more tomatoes peeled and diced in prep for canning. I would have canned four or five pints today, but my mother's huge stock pot had this one spot on the bottom that was looking iffy and it sprang a leak while I was heating it up. I managed to get 90% of the water into the sink and another stock pot before it leaked all over. Now I need a new, huge stockpot. Maybe IKEA carries them?

Tomorrow's plan: get the bag for the yarn crawl at the closest yarn store (no, I haven't finished the proposal but I am working on it and it's not due until noon on Tuesday), stop at another on the way to the corn maze, do whatever at the corn maze (quite possibly not the corn maze because I'm betting my kids will be flipped out by it. It's not supposed to be scary, but I could see my kids thinking that way. There are pony rides though. Then to IKEA since it's all of 15 minutes away by the time we drive down there, and then, if we're not dying, hit four more yarn stores on the way home. And then run 5 miles. I'm guessing the total number of things done will be much smaller, given that I'm doing it solo while DH is in Chicago.
lol.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#252 of 344 Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Drive by:

Jo-hugs

RR: 20 miles gave me this...
#253 of 344 Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM

RM and jo, hugs to both of you.

RM, that's quite the blister and the long run. Heal well!

I didn't mean to sound whiny about workload. I'm not actually that busy, but find myself gravitating to the piano or cooking where I might normally have spent some time on MDC. I wanted to engage with a bit more depth on the conversation about education, had lots of thoughts and ideas, but basically thought f-it. I am so grateful for online classes and the flexibility of doing this program from home, but I find the "discussion groups" so time-consuming. I think well on the spot and would have no problem doing the readings and discussing in class, but find the on/off of the moodle discussion and typing out my thoughts a bit time consuming and annoying. For interest I've been running word counts, and I'm contributing about 1500 words a week on online discussions. I am also baking/cooking and playing the piano much more than average. My non-school internet use is down. Overall I think this is a pretty good balance in my life :)

sparkle, I hope the party was terrific. I'll take a mojito, please.

nic, you are amazing and providing a terrific education for your kids through the combination of schools they attend and the love and work you put into them. 

kerc, thinking of you!

real, I hope you got some of your goals accomplished today. My husband is out of town, too, and our "to do" list was significantly shorter than yours.

RR- Bootcamp is still hard, but I think less sore than last week. There were 150 squats in yesterday's workout. The downside of having it all written up on the board is that I start doing math as we work through the circuits. I still suck at pull-ups, but using a resistance band to help me get back up I can actually go all the way down and pull back up again. I couldn't do the whole 10 reps x3, but managed 5 on each set. My kids climbed for the first time this year, and I think we'll go back for more climbing tomorrow.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#254 of 344 Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 PM

Is this the week for the Griffin Patrick run?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#255 of 344 Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM

MelW--your balance sounds brilliant. I'm trying to write that proposal, which of course means I spend a lot more time procrastinating here. lol.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

Tomorrow's plan: get the bag for the yarn crawl at the closest yarn store (no, I haven't finished the proposal but I am working on it and it's not due until noon on Tuesday), stop at another on the way to the corn maze, do whatever at the corn maze (quite possibly not the corn maze because I'm betting my kids will be flipped out by it. It's not supposed to be scary, but I could see my kids thinking that way. There are pony rides though. Then to IKEA since it's all of 15 minutes away by the time we drive down there, and then, if we're not dying, hit four more yarn stores on the way home. And then run 5 miles.
Reality: parents' house to pick up mail and paper (forgot yesterday , oops), yarn store, skip second yard store in favor of corn maze, then IKEA and the four yarn stores, except one closed at 5 and we missed it by 15 minutes (grrr). And I'm not running 5 miles tonight. sleeping.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#256 of 344 Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 PM

Hello, my lovely dingos. I feel like it's been eons since I checked in here, when it's probably only been a few days. Something about working five nights out of six, sigh. rolleyes.gif Add in dating drama, clingy child, long run, baking...phew.

I got called into work Thursday night, which pretty much sucked. I was SO exhausted from working four out of the previous five nights, and then there I was yet again. With a sucky assignment, to boot. I just kept telling myself...time and a half, you're making time and a half.

dr~There has been a fair bit of drama this week, between the previously mentioned freak out and some weirdness on Thursday surrounding social obligations with friends. I'll be honest, I'm not so down with the drama. It's kind of funny, one of the girls at work said something the other night about me acting like the guy in the relationship, and it's SO true! orngtongue.gif And then I think he called me "girlfriend" tonight, which I am soooo not ready for. It was over text, so I may have been reading it wrong. I chose to ignore it, cuz that always works, right? bag.gif I still like him enough to give things a little more time, but I'm definitely not convinced.

rr~18 mile long run today. It actually went relatively well. Lisa, I wish I could show you a picture of my blister, but I already drained it and it's not as impressive anymore, lol. I hate to tell you, but it put your (definitely very ouchy) blister to shame. orngtongue.gif I couldn't find anybody to run with me, so I decided to do the group run from the local running store. Wherein there was nobody the same pace/distance as me to run with, so I ended up doing the whole thing by myself anyway. It was perfect running weather, and I felt pretty good for the first 15 miles. Then the blister was out of control. And then the last two miles were seriously uphill. So, with two miles of mostly walking, I finished up still just over 11 minute pace, not too shabby. And there were still a couple of donuts left at the store when I got back, including the most amazing maple bacon deliciousness. yummy.gif

Tomorrow: The Great Dilley Triathlon of 2013 (aka the replacement tri around my friend's neighborhood). Where I hope to win the "ran 18 miles yesterday and has a giant blister" division. If I don't DNF the run.... orngbiggrin.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#257 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 AM

Gaye, you make me ashamed! 

Looks like I am going to finish this half on little training and no sleep. :irked I think I managed about 3 hours in there, but my mind is racing with travel logistics--really, more wrapping up here and packing/shipping. Also a little bit freaking out about the interval between CDG and the hotel. Downloaded maps for my devices, but still should probably get a paper one.

Guess I could view today's half as training for the Eiffel Tower. 

Temps are throwing me for a loop, since I don't own much for this weather. So Reb and I went to Goodwill last night, and I think I can rejigger enough to not be too cold and then too hot three hours later. Que sera, sera. Wish us luck and fun.

#258 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 03:20 AM

Gaye-picture next time!! Lol! Sorry about the drama but so awesome that you have a level head and a great connection to your emotions of what is right for you!

Jo and Reb- have a great time at your race!! I'll be looking for a report later!!!

Off to work, yawn.
#259 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Done in just over 3 hours. I am already intensely sore. I have a week to heal before climbing 700 stairs. LOL. Wait for Reb's report. The grand finale is especially good.
#260 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM

Love your pix on FB, Jo & Reb. Dingo Beauts! smile.gif

Gaye, :popcorn You DO kinda sound like the guy! lol.gif

RM, ew on the blister. How are things on the homefront?

Lisa, I hear ya on the long day. Here's mine: Up before dawn for 1-hour drive for Violin Recital at Farmer's Market. Boogie another hour over to for football game. During half-time, dh pulls me out of the stands (he's on the field) to tell me that he just got the call that his mom's cancer is back - in more than one place and inoperable. Stress out during game about coordinating the rest of my weekend. They win. Drive hour home. Exhausted and needing a nap, I pack clothes for the weekend, straighten the house, then make the 2-hour drive to the hospital with kids, sit for an hour, then drive 1/2 hour to my mom's to leave kids b/c I'm so tired and so headachy I can barely think, drive 1/2 hour back to my mil's house, sit up with aunt and dh, take 2 advil and finally collapse in bed. Total Driving Time: 6 hours. I need a Prius. I think that was a week's worth of fuel in one day.

So that's the bad news. Cancer in brain - and she's already received max dosage of radiation and on spine where cannot be operated. I think when I have time to stop worrying about mil and dh, who is carrying almost all of the burden right now, I will begin grieving. Really, deeply grieving. We've had some difficult times, it's true. But she is a powerhouse of a woman, a role model to working moms, an inspiration to me and incredibly generous. I heartbeat.gif her very much.

#261 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Lofty: I wish I could come down and just sit with you. Fix dinner, drive, whatever.

Reb and Jo: awesome, as usual! Also Jo I love your haircut.

Real: did you go inside 4 yarn stores with two kids? Oh my.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#262 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 02:29 PM

Party was a chaotic wild.gif messy success. Watermelon margaritas were a huge hit. Seriously, delish ... and then i BROKE my VITAMIX on the first batch, so we all mourned a little lol.gif Turns out, the motor was fired, but came back to life THIS MORNING irked.gifwinky.gif

I drank a lot, but not so much as to actually be drunk-dyeing. I was buzzed-dyeing. It was hard to instruct everyone when kids were running mad everywhere and everyone was dyeing at different times, so results will vary innocent.gif

Our family's are in the wash now - will try to photo after for here.

Lofty - grouphug.gif I am so very sorry! There is nothing to say - I will hold you in my meditation as you grieve. I hope the processing of this can be gratifying in some way

Jo - joy.gif wow, just wow. On no sleep and no training. You are a Dingo through and through

RR: weight circuit yesterday morning for 90 minutes. First in 2 weeks, second in a month, and boy howdee could I feel it.

NRR: morning of the party I get an email from my adviser: "can you have that revised paper to me by the end of the week?" redface.gifrun.giflol.gif So yeah, that's my plan for the week...

Also, Dh's closest bud here just found out his mom has cancer too. wth lately! And my dear friend here, who couldnt make it yesterday, let me know today that the crap that she's been in is pre-eclampsia greensad.gif Fortunately she is near due date, so its not dangerous....

#263 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Lofty: I wish I could come down and just sit with you. Fix dinner, drive, whatever.

Reb and Jo: awesome, as usual! Also Jo I love your haircut.

Real: did you go inside 4 yarn stores with two kids? Oh my.

Lofty - So sorry.  I remember her in SMA and being impressed at the sheer life force emanating from her.  I wish I could come and drive you around too.

Sparkle - sounds like a good party.

Jo and Reb - Congrats!  And eagerly awaiting the report.

Thinking of our Dingo making a huge life change today.  :goodvibes

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#264 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the sweet thoughts. It means so much.

Also thinking our Dingo sister today. goodvibes.gif

Sparkle, you must have really worked that Vitamix! So glad it's still alive. Any pix yet?

#265 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Sparkle - party sounds like a huge success. Sorry the vitamix went caput during party but so glad it works now without having to do anything. Hope you get a few moments to breathe and relax now.

Jo & Reb- yay on the race ! Loved the pics and can't wait to hear about it. Haven't you been doing some running lately?

Prayers for our sister making big changes.

Loftmama- so so sorry for your MIL. greensad.gif prayers and hugs to you. Thanks for asking about me and also my blister. I drained it because it was so big I was walking on it. Then I put a bandaid on it to keep it compressed so it wouldn't have fluid build back up. I have yet to look again. I hope I can go for a run tomorrow! I will loosen the laces on the toe box for sure! Lol.

Home front, this weekend I felt like I had some time to relax and decompress. We will see how this week goes. Been talking to ds1 about going back to public school for the start of next year. I am calling therapist tomorrow who specializes in substance abuse and anxiety and try to get in first thing.

Tuesday is my first mammogram. Two funny things about that. Over the last month my breasts have grown at least one full size and I don't know why. I joke that maybe since there is more to squeeze it will be less uncomfortable. The second, is that I have chaffing on the under side of my breasts from the long run. That's going to be interesting to explain and maybe not so comfortable?!

RR: rest day. My RP gave me some herbal post run pills to try and I swear they have helped with any soreness!

Gaye- (joking) I'll see your blister and raise you two chaffed breasts! Lol
#266 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Lofty, :hug we stand with you as always.

Sparkle, glad the event was a success. Even if you had to imbibe to get through. :nut. Jo and Reb...way to go!!!! 

Gaye, the dr drama is entertaining. I love how clear eyed you are about it.

Plady, glad you got your play cast.

RM, hope you are finding some helpful advice and solace.

I'm sure I forgot some personals.

Sending out :goodvibesand :meditate and :1praying to our Dingo sister whose courage and determination and faith are carrying her through a very, very challenging life moment.

As for me, I'm pretty zonked. Took the kids today to a Sukkot harvest festival (goats, chickens, and other animals to spend time with and pet etc.; wheat threshing/milling and brick oven bread baking; sukkah decorating; vegetable harvesting and eating; honeybees to watch; etc.) and then came home to word that one of our synagogues was having a bbq in their sukkah, so we packed off to that. Oh, plus in between I graded a few dozen papers and this morning did a 9 miler slow and easy with a friend as I'm tapering for next weekend's half marathon (yes, I'm registered...Mel you can add the Providence Rock n Roll Half Marathon on Sep. 29th to the race list for me) and then took myself off to Savers (thrift store par excellence) and bought a few things for myself and dd1. 

:sleepytime

#267 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 08:11 PM

tjsmama--nice 18. How'd the tri go?

lofty--so sorry to hear about your MIL. And my condolences also about all the fuel usage. I don't know about you, but unless I'm taking a road trip, I feel guilty about using gas unless it's absolutely necessary and sometimes even then.

kerc--yes. We didn't stay too long in most. The 3yo was crawling under the table and very grabby at the last one, go figure. At least the one yarn store guaranteed to make my kids nuts isn't part of the crawl. It's the only one where R freaked out the minute we entered and then returned to her normal self the minute we walked out. I'm not sure what about it was so overstimulating, but I know a bunch of moms who had exactly that experience in only that store.

sparkle-- goodvibes.gif for the bad news and glad to hear the party went well.

Nic--Savers used to be one of my favorites, when it was close by. The longer drive wasn't worth it though. Glad you found fun stuff!

goodvibes.gif for another Dingo goodvibes.gif

RR: 13 done, mostly in light rain. I was surprised to see how much of one of our trails had been underwater. I'd figured all the underpasses were (and there are several), but so was a good deal of the stretch in the north part of my neighborhood and some cuts from water rushing through the part leading up to the lake. I'd heard that the lake hadn't spilled over the spillway, but there was still a good amount of water going through the spillway. It clearly had flooded at its lowest point all the way across the bridge there. This surprises me mostly because the flood damage here was minimal compared to other areas, and even so the trail is going to need some repair to be more bike-friendly again.

NRR: eh. We reworked our budget and decided that if I end up not teaching in the spring, I'm finding a different job. We need that cushion. Meanwhile, we're going to rein in the budget, which isn't really hard except that I'm concerned about what happens when DH's emotions override logic and he wants to eat out because it makes him feel happy (temporarily).

#268 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM

lofty~hug.gif I'm so sorry. Sending peace and love to you and your whole family.

Also thinking of our dingo sister today...goodvibes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmommy View Post

Gaye- (joking) I'll see your blister and raise you two chaffed breasts! Lol
Owie! Been there, done that, no thank you! That *might* be worse than the blisters, lol. I peeled off the dead skin on top of my blister, so I might try to take a picture here in a minute and see how that goes. orngtongue.gif

It was a busy, busy day here. Really, it's just been a super busy weekend...DS and I went out to dinner and a movie last night and then I had to do some quick baking when we got home for today's events. Got up early this morning for the tri, and then immediately headed over to a girls' night at a friend's house when we got home. I won't lie, I'm pretty tired right now! I've got some internetting to do (beyond MDC, even!) and then hopefully will get to bed within the next hour or so.

rr~OMG, you guys, the tri was AMAZING. It was SO much fun! A big part of that was just because the friends are amazing. This friend is one of my absolute favorite friends, and every time I hang out with her, I wonder why we don't do it more often. This was to be her comeback race from having hip surgery last year. She put together race packets (complete with samples of awesome stuff like honey stinger and nuun), made race bibs, and even made finishers certificates for everyone. We got to pick our race numbers, or if we didn't have a preference, we got an irrational number...my race number was pi, which I absolutely loved. orngbiggrin.gif I helped out by picking up some swim caps at the swim store yesterday, which she then decorated with our names and race numbers. It was pretty awesome. I loved the looks we got at the rec center where we did the swim when we all walked in with our matching fluorescent green swim caps and jumped in two lanes. It was probably the most laid-back and leisurely tri ever. We had to wait for the masters swim to finish up, and then we jumped in the pool for the swim...the two fast swimmers in one lane and the three slow ones (me included) in another. I had some major goggle failure that put me way behind and resulted in me getting lapped, but really, we were very evenly matched pace-wise. When we were done, we strolled out to the parking lot, where the two DHs and kiddos were waiting with our bikes and headed out for our 12 mile bike to T2, located at their house. It was a beautiful morning for a ride, and we spent the time chatting it up (it was a totally draft-legal tri, lol). Into T2 (their garage), where my child disappointed me by being more interested in playing with my friends' DD than cheering for us. orngbiggrin.gif I also got a penalty for failing to dismount before the dismount line. Which I promptly protested, since there WAS NO dismount line! lol.gif Another leisurely transition, and we headed out on the run. Holy uphill for the first half! Up, up, up. My legs were shot, so it was a good thing that everybody was totally ok going a nice and easy 11 minute pace. Halfway through, we had an aid station (consisting of one DH in a car with a cooler and bottles of water), and it was mostly downhill from there back to the house. We crossed the finish line (aka the driveway) holding hands, triumphant. All in all, it was pretty freaking awesome. The race director (my friend's DH) had our finisher certificates laid out on our transition spots and was ready with champagne to celebrate and then immediately fired up the grill for the post-race festivities. I'm pretty sure this tri was even better than the originally scheduled one would have been, and it will most likely happen again next year. People are already trying to reserve their race numbers!

So, in case anyone cares...
Swim 17:35 (estimate...Shannon's time was 16:35, so I added about a minute for the lap I had left to go when she finished; regardless, not too bad!)
T1 8:38 ROTFLMAO.gif
Bike 51:51 for a 13.8 mph avg
T2 4:56 (included two people taking bathroom breaks!)
Run 33:22 for 11:03 pace (oddly enough, the exact same pace I ran for my 18 miles yesterday, ha!)

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#269 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Here you go, Lisa... winky.gif

#270 of 344 Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 PM

tjsmama, that is one awesome report! clap.gif

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page