Jogging stroller that can be used with newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for recommendations for a jogging stroller. I have had to stop running while pregnant, because my pelvis hurts too badly, and I want to get back to it as soon as possible once the baby is born. I don't know much about strollers because I don't usually use them, and I don't know ANYTHING about jogging strollers. I have heard that some are not supportive enough for newborns, though? We won't have an infant car seat (we'll be using a convertible), so I need to be able to put the baby directly into the stroller.

Oh, also, this stroller will be used on paved sidewalks and streets, as I do all of my running in my neighborhood. I need to be able to turn easily, as I will be making 90 degree turns, not running on a track.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I haven't run with a jogger and an infant, but what do you think about this one?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11048119&locale=en_US

It seems to recline enough and if you used a head stabilizer it might work?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 AM

The general recommendation for joggers is to wait until the baby is 6 months old before using a jogger.

That said, I waited until mine were two months old and asked my pediatrician. He said as long as they were reclining and laying flat or nearly so, and their heads weren't bouncing around, it was fine. My jogger was a Dreamer Design and it reclined nearly flat. I used a head support with it and stayed on smooth pavement (or slowed to a walk if for curbs). I waited until my younger daughter was 3 months old before taking her out for a run in the jogger because she was a preemie and I wanted to be a bit more cautious. Definitely check with your baby's health care provider before running with any baby jogger so s/he can assess your child's needs.

As far as turns, the old-school way was to have three 16" or 20" wheels that did not turn. Basically, you pop a (gentle) wheelie for sharp turns, which is very easy because all you need to do is get that front wheel a couple inches off the ground and it pivots very easily on the two back wheels. If you get one that has a swivel front wheel, you'll need to lock it for running anyhow.

There are a lot of jogging-style strollers out there now, so make sure that whatever you get is designed for runners and not just moms who want to walk and want a sporty stroller (to be fair, joggers, IMO, handle a neighborhood walk a lot better than a traditional stroller). BOB, Baby Jogger, and other runner-focused brands are your best bet if you plan to do the majority of your runs with the baby. Running stores and places like REI will have some on hand to look at. I ended up buying both of my joggers through Craigslist from people who thought they'd use them more than they did. (I had two because I put 1000+ miles on my first used one and it was showing its age by the time child #2 came along. I bought my second one when she was about 5 months old, same brand, same style, and it now has more than 500 miles on it three years later. We also have a double jogger, also purchased gently used that same summer, that also has more than 500 miles on it now.) The good news is that you don't have to have it when your baby is born, so you can take a few weeks or months to watch for a good deal on the brand you want.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 PM

If you're like me and don't want to wait six months for running, another option for younger babies is a jogging stroller with a car seat adapter/travel system (Mountain buggy & BOB both can do this). These are usually jogging and not hardcore running strollers, but baby gets the neck support from the car seat. You need something with a locking front wheel and still to follow reallim's advice about smooth paths, gentle curb motions, etc. I did this as two months with youngest, after checking with my midwife.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Dia

We have a BOB revolution, and I highly recommend it for jogging. When the baby is tiny, it can be used with an infant insert. They are expensive but having a good stroller especially if you're an active person is so worth it, in my experience!
This stroller also is appropriate for bigger kids, I think it will fit him until 2, maybe 3 years of age.

So I recommend the BOB with an infant supportive insert.

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know you said you dont have an infant carseat but that's what I had and was told was safest so i'll recommend it anyways.

Just a note: I ran through my entire pregnancy, even the day of labor and I wasn't able to run for 3 months due to my tear and prolapse. I waited until after I had dd and felt ready to run before I purchased my BOB and I'm glad I did, that way i wasn't tempted to run before my was healed.

I have a BOB ironman and I started using it with the infant carseat adapter at 3 months. I love and still love it. I run with my now 7 month old regularly. I borrowed a friend's jogging stroller and I really noticed a huge difference. I am so pleased with my BOB ironman and I don't miss the unlocking wheel that the revolution has one bit. I use my ironman exclusively for running if your looking for a dual purpose stroller, I think the revolution would be better.

Crystal Marie
Aspire to decency. Practice civility toward one another. Admire and emulate ethical behavior wherever you find it. Apply a rigid standard of morality to your lives; and if, periodically, you fail – as you surely will – adjust your lives, not the standards.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Chariot stroller with the infant sling or infant bivvy inserts (depending on the time of year).  REI carries them.    Can be used with a newborn.  You want bicycle tire or "pneumatic" wheels to help absorb shocks.  But jogging is not recommended unless you can very carefully control the sudden movements and bumps, e.g. I would only do it on a paved, smooth trail.  Otherwise, I would stick with brisk walks.  Just watch the baby's head and if they are starting to jiggle at all, then back off.

The best thing about chariots is they convert to bike trailers or a cross country ski pulk.  Pricey but worth it.....and good resale value.  Always in demand.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I would research this before even considering! This does not seem safe to me. The babies head seems like no matter what you did, it would be bouncing too much. I'm not trying to be negative I'm just suggesting a little research on the issue before buying any jogging stroller that even suggests you can use it for a newborn. Also I don't think you can exercise for 6 weeks pp but I could be wrong.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Tags
Fitness
User Tag List