8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 11 (enrolling through Sept. 18, starts Sept. 16, ends Nov. 4) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Words of wisdom from Milk8shake (with minor modifications):

The version 1 thru version 10.0 eight week challenges were a great success, and many of us are up for another eight weeks - we're opening it up for any newbies who would like to join the next round of the challenge.

Please read below.

Background: The thought came to my head because I joined the "losing weight in 2012" thread, but I didn't have much motivation, and I had no-one to be accountable to. I was thinking about the Biggest Loser, and how teams can be such a motivation. So, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who needs to get some weight loss happening, but just can't seem to get off the couch.

The challenge: Commit to an eight week weight loss challenge. You'll be assigned to a team, and your weight loss percentage will be measured on an individual and a team basis. The team with the highest loss percentage at the end of the eight weeks will be the winner. This is a TEAM effort. If you lose, your team wins! Your weekly progress will be updated on the leader board for all to see.

The requirements/rules:

1. You have to be willing to commit to the full eight weeks beginning Sept. 16, 2013 and ending Nov. 4, 2013.
  2. You have to be willing to commit to exercising a minimum of 4 x 30 minute sessions per week - the type of exercise is up to you!
  3. You have to be willing to check in and update your progress and weight at least weekly on Mondays.
  4. You have to be willing to share your weight and your height. (By PM if you are shy) You may not join if losing 1 lb / .5 kg per week will put you in an underweight category according to your BMI (check here) at the end of eight weeks.
  5. If you miss more than 2 weigh-ins in a row, we will continue to track, but your loss will NOT contribute to your team's totals.

The prize: A thinner waistline, a slimmer derriere, and the opportunity to bask in the glory of the winning team. The challenge will not start until Monday, Sept. 16, 2013. Sign up now to let us know you are interested so I can begin making teams.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

i would like a slimmer derriere !!!!

not sure i should enrol this round since n was suddently  operated on one eye last Friday and don"t yet have the green light from the surgeon to exercise (hopefully "only" another couple of weeks wait ? )

have been SO frustrated, last Friday being the first day i was without kids and could have picked up whatever sport i wanted for however long i wanted  !!! ... instead of that i had general anesthesy and then had to remain on my tummy, nose facing the floor for a good 6 hours before being allowed just ONE position for sleeping ....

i 'll see my regular eye doctor tomorrow & hopefully will have an estimate of  when i can resume swimming, dancing and rollerblading, was toying with starting running 10 to 15 minutes early mornings too .....

Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in for another round!  5'2 140.5

IsaFrench can you walk until your doc clears you for exercise?  That is what I'm planning on doing in January after I have surgery.  My doc actually encourages walking after the procedure that I'm having.  Check with your doctor first though.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 AM

thanks for suggesting walking, i'll ask tomorrow morning, i wouldn't have thought of asking, am glad i posted !!!

( their instruction were not very precise last Saturday, i suspect i did far more than they expected me to do...yet far less than i would have "normally" and in any case, staying home all the time for a week would have made me depressed ....)

Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm in.  Back with details later.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In!! Right now, only hockey once a week and walking a few times a week. My dh found a job, so hopefully I'll be able to go to physical therapy again. Still recovering from broken leg and ankle. Although the breaks and ligaments are healed, I still have scar tissue, pain, and weakness. PT will help with that.
I've been off sugar for a month. Seems to be helping.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 PM

I would love to join. :)

I'm 45 yrs old, 5'6" tall. Current weight is 146 lbs. 

I have been on a healthy weight loss plan for 7.5 weeks and have already lost 8 lbs. My goal is to get down to at least 140. Possibly 135 (I'll re-evaluate when I get to my first goal of 140). The one disadvantage I bring to a team effort is that I don't have much weight to lose now and my rate of weight loss is a bit less than 1 lb per week, which is a healthy rate for someone not needing to lose much. But at most I'll bring 8 lbs loss to my team. 

I use a calorie logging website to log everything I eat. I have a daily caloric goal. I started a running program 7 weeks ago. I am doing a progressive walk/run program that gets up to 10 km solid running after 16 weeks. I run three days per week and on the other three days I walk between 4 and 6 km. Once a week I have riding lessons (dressage).

I can't relate much to the crowd on my calorie logging website and would be much happier joining a team here at MDC. :blowkiss

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 09-13-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome! Every little bit of loss helps the team effort.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 AM

Hi Piglet, welcome!  Congrats on your losses you are doing fantastic!  I don't think that the amount that you have to lose really matters.  The only stipulation is that you remain in your healthy BMI, there is a link up thread to check.  I think that lilacvioletiris tries to evenly place members between the 2 teams, but it goes by % lost not pounds lost, so no worries.  I have been slowly losing over 20 lbs over the last year & I just participated in the last challenge and lost 4.5 lbs in 8 weeks.  It slows down when you get closer to goal and that's ok.  This is just a nice place to encourage each other and get & give some advice!  :)

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM

thank you lilic and cookiepie! Looking forward to it!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Welcome Piglet!

Where are you from exactly, if you don't mind me asking? I hitchhiked around Vancouver Island a few years ago, I have very good memories :) And don't worry about not bringing enough weight loss to your team (only a Canadian would worry about that... ahah!) because the way she calculates it is different. She calculates your percentage loss with your body mass, or something like that. Hard for me to explain lol! But anyway, dont worry about that and concentrate on your health :)

Last month of last challenge was very hard. Mix of sickness and losing our food stamps.... Now we got them back (much less but still) and the health is coming back too. Was about time, after a month and a half! My wisdom teeth have been giving me headaches for a week now, so I am still having a hard time finding motivation for exercise other than riding my bike... Haven't ran in a month or so! AND we will be moving pretty soon, if not Oct 1rst Nov 1rst, so lots of things to do til then. probably won't find time for exercise other than bike but that's still exercise. ANYHOO, hoping to keep losing weight by eating healthy, it has been hard too, being torn between wanting to eat fast and cheap or healthy. Unfortunately I've chose the first option quite a bit lately... Soooo need to get back on track. Would looove to lose 7lbs so I can say I lost 30 lbs thanks to these challenges :)

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM
AAK

Sign me up!  I am 5'6'' and currently weigh 172 lbs.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM

I am in!   This challenge should motivate me to exercise more.  I'm 5' 8", 175 lbs. 

Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I'm back too :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-13-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Just an FYI for how I calculate your "losses". I do it on a percentage of weight you lose so I take your start weight minus your current weight and all of that divided by your start weight so even those that are lighter and don't generally lose as much as fast won't thwart the team effort.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxy View Post

Welcome Piglet!

Where are you from exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

Duncan, in the beautiful Cowichan Valley! :D

Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM
AAK

Nuts.  I have not been eating well at all.  I decided to actually weigh (and make sure I had provided an accurate beginning weight).  I found out that I was wrong before.  I weigh 175. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 AM

ok so here are my stats for Monday the 16th

5' 1

managed not to gain anything this week

walking will be my exercise of choice until i get the green light from the surgeon to resume classes

(should be walking 1.5 to 2 hours today, but not very fast)

Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My weight this morning was 66.4kg (146.4lb)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-16-2013, 04:29 AM

5'2 & 139!  1.5 lbs off this week :) 

Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 AM

My starting weight is actually 178.  Here's to a great first week!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 AM

169.3 lbs . Haven't lost anything in 3 weeks... But I haven't been eating very well nor did any other exercise than bike. I NEED to start running again! But my free time is now filled with phone calls re: our move.. It will be worth it though!

Piglet I didn't go to Duncan, went around on my way to Victoria.

Congrats CookiePie!  This is awesome!!

IsaFrench, that's a lot of walkin!!!

How's the pregnancy lilac?

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

5'5" and 205.  Ready to go again!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
5'4 209

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
Old 09-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Am I too late to join again?

If I can, my height is 5'5" and my starting weight is 146.4 (66.4kg)

Haven't done well between challenges, partially from falling back into bad habits. Am beginning a new, more structured healthy eating plan this week and I really want this to become a real lifestyle change. Hoping I can do better this round smile.gif

Lucky mom to two 

DD 2010 energy.gif

DS 2012   slingboy.gif

Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Forgot to post my starting point for Monday.

My weight as of yesterday was 144.5 lbs. That is a new low (this time around, lol). 

I did a 40 minute run today (4 segments of run 10 min and walk 1 minute), burning about 350 calories. This is week 8 of my Learn to Run 10K program and it's an "easy recovery week". The next two runs will be 21 and 30 mins respectively, so I'll likely do some long walks on my non-run days.

I have been tracking caloric intake and weight and did some calculations to determine my daily energy requirements: 1890 calories. This is higher than I'd thought, which means I was eating at a lower deficit than I needed to be.

That, combined with my good run today means that I will be rewarding myself by baking cookies for the family this evening. :-)

Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I'm back.  Gained a few more pounds since my last challenge, but feeling more energetic.  Whatever was happening the last few months seems to be fading.  I did overschedule the summer, and stress makes me lethargic.

BUT-- don't know if this is premature, but I'd really like to challenge myself for this round, especially with committing to the exercise.  The next round might not be a good one to attempt, between holiday busy-ness and holiday food.  

So, here goes!  I weighed myself this morning at 155, but didn't calibrate the scale, so I just weighed myself properly.  The afternoon weigh-in might skew my results for next week, though.  Happy about today's weigh-in.  3 weeks ago I was pushing 160 lbs again!  Hoping to make it back to 151, my most recent "low". Still, that's a good 3# over my plateau weight, and I won't even think about that last 25lbs!

156lb, 5' 2"

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 PM

I'm curious to know what methods or approaches we are all using to get to our goals. Do you have a particular fitness goal in mind? Are you trying to lose weight? Are you doing a special diet (e.g. low-carb/paleo) or - like me - using a calorie tracking approach? Are you trying to change eating habits (more whole foods, less processed)? 

Old 09-18-2013, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post

I'm curious to know what methods or approaches we are all using to get to our goals. Do you have a particular fitness goal in mind? Are you trying to lose weight? Are you doing a special diet (e.g. low-carb/paleo) or - like me - using a calorie tracking approach? Are you trying to change eating habits (more whole foods, less processed)? 

Nothing strange or mysterious.  Mainly for me, it's making choices to not snack mindlessly.  To wait until I'm hungry and make a good meal instead of filling my belly in the moment.  Way more fruits and veggies.  Walking 4 times a week. The funny thing is, I know what it takes for me-- I've lost 40 lbs already before hanging out at 148 for a couple years (then gaining recently).  These things, plus making sure I don't eat too much bread with butter and juice.  Why I can't keep it going, I don't know.  My motivation and energy flags.  My schedule gets too stressful.  Maybe I get too caught up in turning away foods I love.  Last time, I got strangely hungry like never before.  

Once upon a time, when I first started losing this weight, I did track calories for 3 weeks, kept a food diary.  And it helped!  I crept down my consumption of things like cream and butter gram by gram.  I've never had the motivation to redo that, but I already know what the culprits are.  I just need the *sustained* willpower to keep up the good work.

I really want to start losing this last 25-30 pounds.  I say this with  belly fat with the pizza I just ate (one piece) so it doesn't feel too genuine, or even possible, but I've been eating quite well recently, all in all.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 09-18-2013, 10:40 PM

I lost 23 lbs since April by exercising EVERY day, 30 to 60 minutes (I would take a walk in the morning then ride my bike to work, for example). Eating better, meaning no junk food, lots of veggies and smart choices in general. I've been slacking off for the past 2 months due mainly to sickness and I really need to get back on track. I'd like to lose AT LEAST 10 lbs by Christmas :)

My motivation is definitely to see the pounds come off. I was a chubby kid, a chubby teenager and now a chubby adult. But after the pregnancy, I was chubbier than ever, and that gave me the humph I needed to really give everything I had and finally lose weight. Keeping track of my progress and my exercise like I've been doing on Mothering has been of great help. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to do it without those challenges.

That being said, I don't really know if I should participate to this challenge because we will be moving in 2 weeks, that means dedicating all my free time to packing/cleaning. Then the move and arranging the house, getting into a new neighborhood meaning establishing a new routine and all. Unfortunately there isn't good running spots around our new house but there will be an extra room that I'll be able to use to work-out. Also there's the food co-op close by so easier access to healthier foods.

Tags
Weight Management
User Tag List