Sprinting joyfully into October - the Dingo thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 296 Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jo~safe and semi-hygienic travels to you and yours. I honestly don't know if I could do it! hug.gif

mel~I'm starting to get the teeny tiniest bit excited about the race, but mostly excited about getting to hang out in NYC with YOU! joy.gif

lisa~Hope the numbness has worn off. Dental work is the pits. Yes, J is the original guy. C is the guy that I met a month or so ago who I thought was into me but never did anything about it. Yep, definitely into me. orngbiggrin.gif He even asked me tonight how it's possible that a "great girl" like me is still single. I was like...I don't know! This is what I've been wondering for the last four years, lol!

dr~I had a great brunch date with C yesterday. And then I had breakfast with J this morning. bag.gif I'm pretty sure now that I need to break up with J, for reals. I just feel so bad, because I really do like him a lot, I just don't like him as much as he likes me, and it's kind of freaking me out that he likes me as much as he does. He keeps making comments (joking, but serious, ya know?) about me moving north to near where he lives. He was asking me a bunch of hypothetical questions at breakfast about "if you were to get remarried"...it's just too much, too fast. And then there's C, who I like a lot and want to get to know better. So, I need to do it. I just need to find the guts somewhere....arrrrrghhhhhhhh.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#62 of 296 Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM

I'm having a moment of dingo :heartbeat reading all of the posts about behaviours, development, quirks, etc. I've been grappling with a response to an older Mayim BIalik article posted on our school facebook group and all of the parents cheering for letting kids develop and learn in their own individual ways. Yes sometimes kids don't roll over until they're one, or talk until they're two. I was once the public health nurse frantically advocating for a baby who wasn't rolling over (and was lagging on several other less obvious developmental milestones) while the family doctor took the relaxed approach. When the baby was finally seen by the pediatrician, it was admitted to hospital same day for blood transfusions for severe anemia and B12 deficiency. I still worry about the long-term impacts of the eight weeks it took me to get someone to take the problem seriously. I have so many other experiences of kids who were developing at a different pace for a very real and fixable reason (not the least of which is my eldest who learned to read remarkably quickly after getting glasses). As we talked about development and milestones at dinner tonight, my lovely oldest asked, "Was I delayed in learning about and understanding Venn diagrams? Because I didn't really learn them until kindergarten." I told her I was pretty sure she would be okay :lol

Plady and kerc: yes, yes, yes on the full attention for 30 minutes strategy. I often need to remind myself, but it works so well for my kids. If I give them full attention, they usually get bored of me and leave me alone after a while... Plady, I'm impressed with your insight on how you end relationships and how this impacts your kids. I hope it's a case of knowing being half the battle.

RR- I did a 2 hour hike yesterday with a friend and our combined 3 kids aged 3-10. The kids started off on a trail that I had forgotten how steep uphill it was- it's designed to be an extra difficult downhill mountain bike trail, so lots of little bridges and planks and otherwise dangerous and difficult obstacles. We looped back on another trail, but I was overall impressed with how the kids managed and mostly all under their own steam. My oldest is so, so nervous and needed help to manage her anxiety/fear of heights at times, but did it with support. The youngest lead the pack and mostly just needed reminders that she couldn't go out of eyesight because of cougars.

Speaking of the oldest, she's hit a really sedentary place. I think I mentioned it recently, but we've come to a bit of a head over exercise, particularly related to homeschool commitment to daily physical activity. She has chosen yoga, and is quite happily doing 20-60 minutes of yoga videos daily on weekends and homeschool days, but it's so challenging to convince her to do anything more active (yesterday's hike aside, but there was a lot of complaining that we were going hiking despite having two close friends coming along). I'm trying to increase her iron intake to see if that impacts energy levels, and have otherwise laid down the law: she commit to being more active without grumbling, or she needs to see the TCM about her energy level. Today we had good luck with a couple of short bike rides and I'm hoping to convince her to start climbing again.

The other big thing going on here also relates to the TCM and a conversation he had with my husband about how unusual it was that I fainted twice with acupuncture when I was sick this summer. He said once is not unusual in someone who is quite sick, but that fainting twice is probably a sign of something "in my childhood" that has impacted my coping. My friend who is an acupuncturist said something similar- that if there are emotional connections being made during an acupuncture session that the person isn't prepared to deal with, fainting is the mind's way of shutting things down (I've done this once before, several years ago). The TCM has offered to see give me free acupuncture to deal with possible childhood/trauma/issues. I'm hesitant to do it right now, for a couple of reasons. Things in my life are very busy and also a bit precarious- I don't have a regular job or long-term medical benefits, and if things go "badly", I can't afford time off work, counselling, etc. etc. Also, I think I'm a pretty high-functioning person, a bit of social anxiety aside. In my day to day life I don't feel particularly troubled and wonder if repressed trauma might be better left repressed. My mother in law and the one friend I've talked to think I'm being very clear headed and responsible about all of this; my husband thinks I'm being afraid and self-limiting.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#63 of 296 Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Real - one interesting thing about the past several weeks is how DS is responding to my emphasis on feelings over intellect - he is definitely picking up the clues that understanding ones feelings and expressing them in "peace keeping or problem solving" ways is an attribute, and now he wants kudos for having that skill. I also make a point of admiring particular friends of his, to him, who happen to be fun crazy boys but also very sweet, polite, and sensitive to others. The other day I said, "you know what I like about Sam..." and he says "yeah me too, he's like O" (another friend of DS' that I love!) Small steps

Melw - sounds scary to me. Could it be that you are being both (clear eyed and self-limiting)?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#64 of 296 Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 PM

MelW- Hmm.  Seems a little odd that the TCM would have that conversation about you not with you (unless I'm reading that wrong).  And I agree, you could be clear eyed and self-limiting, in a good way.  I think I'd want to feel a little more space and cushion around me before recreationally delving into what might be repressed. :Hug

I'm nodding and ahhing along but need to head to bed.  Some day I'll have more time for posting too.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#65 of 296 Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Kerc: So true! I need to remember to make time for each one individually, too. I hope you are feeling better today.

Nick: I hope that the district evaluation at least has some feedback and ideas on where to go from here. I am at least glad that you aren't feeling pushed in any certain direction by teachers, physicians, etc.

Sparkle: So interesting how you - or how we all - focus on certain aspects of our kids personalities, how we have experienced them, and give them lots of feedback based on that. But it does limit them, doesn't it? I definitely need to watch how I sometimes pigeonhole my own kids :(  I like that anecdote about the mom and those "squishy" feelings, because who knows - it sounds like she might have been addressing a real bigger-picture solution to that problem.

Mel, on your DD, it sounds like she likes the more gentle type of exercise, not the aerobic, super-sweaty kind. I can so relate to that, from my own personality as a young teen. But it's good that you are keeping those doors open for her, as it is much easier to stick with something through those teen years than have to find your way back to it at a later time after years of inactivity.

:hug about searching for repressed stuff. I know I would wait until I felt a strong need to go there.

Gaye, I am super jumpers.gif about NY, too, and all that goes along with it! I hope you find a way to let J down easy, because C sounds awesome :thumb

RR: Track yesterday was 4x1000 meter repeats, and it wasn't very pretty. I talked to my coach and he suggested just sticking to pacing workouts rather than speed for the remaining weeks until the marathon.

Back to work geek.gif

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#66 of 296 Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Good morning, dingo friends. And a most birthday.gif to bec, who is 40 today!!! flowersforyou.gif

I'm reading along and taking parenting notes that I hope I won't need to use later. DS has been driving me crazy lately, but really, I know it's because he was gone most of the summer and we're both busy and I've started dating and he just wants more mommy time. So I've been trying to not get distracted by my phone or my laptop and set aside time for him every night for reading together or playing a game or whatever. It's just hard for me because I feel like we're together ALL the time (which we kind of are, in a lot of ways), but we're not doing the kinds of things together that HE wants and needs. So even only children can need that attention, I guess. I did finally have an actual talk with him about me dating...I know he had overheard some stuff, but I hadn't really addressed it directly with him and he just does not ask questions. Who knows how much sunk in and how much he actually wanted/needed to know (trust me, I didn't get into very much detail, other than reassuring him that he was always my #1 priority), but at least I did it.

rr~8 tired miles this morning. I have had about 6 total hours of sleep since Saturday night, which is really not enough to be a very functional person, ya know? rolleyes.gif So I started off really, really tired. Then there is the foot issue. I saw the podiatrist yesterday morning (wherein he was pretty much like...yeah, these orthotics are WAY worn out, you need new ones...) and he recommended that I get some off-the-shelf superfeet inserts while my new orthotics are being made, so I put those in and headed out. About a half mile down the road, I could just feel my foot (the non-blistered one that got really upset at me for running 20 miles without orthotics) getting cranky, so I turned around and came back home and decided to try running with my orthotic in my left shoe to help that foot and the superfeet insert in my right shoe to prevent the blister from coming back. And it seemed to work. Hopefully there isn't too much height difference between the two that will throw me out of whack, because I think this might need to be my solution until the new orthotics are ready. Anyway...the rest of the run was pretty good and I even kind of hit a groove eventually. I have two more 8's and my 20 on the schedule this week. I will get 8 in tomorrow, although I'm thinking about going to track just because I actually can for once and then heading up to the foothills for a trail run for the rest of my miles. I'm on call tomorrow night, so I may or may not get my 8 in on Thursday. 20 on Friday, hopefully partially with real! (p.s. lisa...I'll text you smile.gif)

dr~Well, I did it. I ended things with J. I was going to leave it for today, but I just knew I wouldn't be able to sleep last night unless I took care of it, so I just ripped the band-aid off. He actually took it really well, and I don't think (but could, of course, be completely wrong) that he's too upset with me. He hasn't unfriended me on FB yet, at least. redface.gif And then I had a great text conversation with C late last night (when we both were apparently having problems sleeping). Turns out that he wanted to ask me out at the baseball game last month, but chickened out mostly because he was worried about how I felt about our age difference (he's 31, really not that big a deal, especially considering that I've been dating a 45 year old, right?). So, anyways, I'm excited to get to know him better and see where things go. innocent.gif It just stinks that he travels for work and is out of town all week, and of course I work all weekend, sigh...we'll squeeze something in there somewhere, though!

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#67 of 296 Old 10-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Gaye, I'm glad you are moving forward with C. I meant to post yesterday that you have never seemed excited about J, but the first time that you mentioned C you seemed much more interested and excited. Have fun!

I think I've decided on the no deep probing acupuncture for now. The conversation with my husband and the TCM was a follow-up to one that I had previously had with the TCM and also in the context of "whole-family" health, so not as totally inappropriate as my post might have made it sound. Given the limited capacity that he seems to have right now to pick up slack with childcare and anything around the house, I think we would be a family on a path to destruction if I even needed a bit of a break from my daily "work". 

Now I'm off for a quick run in between grading and assignment writing/study and school pick up. 

#68 of 296 Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM

Just reading. Lots of wisdom here. I'm on my phone so it's easy to read but a pain to respond.

Weights yesterday. Long walk with the boys today. Ds2 and I are meeting with the elem school principal about ebrolling in school. It is oh so right, but I am taking it way harder than I imagined. I'm excited for him but so sad... Not sure why and feeling confused about it. Anyway tour and meeting are on for Fri.

Finally home and getting the first bit if structure in over 3 weeks.

Sparkle, my ds1's words to me are always,"Why do you always think the worst if me?!" 😔 We use fermented fish oil/butter gel capsules. Which ones do you use?

Sorry not more replies. Just feeling really sad these days. Hanging out on the cow pasture while the boys flew kites, I soaked up lots of glorious Vit D. Every moment feels like my last one with him. 😭

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#69 of 296 Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 PM

tjsmama--FYI, I can go at least 12 with you on Friday, since I wimped out on last weekend's long run. Also, depending on what else you have lined up and what time we meet, I could bring along my bike and bike along for the rest if you're not already sick of me after 12 miles.

lofty--I suspect the transition for a hs mom is hard. Hope it gets better as it approaches.

MelW--I think holding off is a wise move.

Teacher conference today and all was well. I am grateful. Both kids are doing well, actually, even if child #2 desperately wants to be in school (specifically, third grade). There's an art program for preschoolers nearby that we may explore in the spring and as "preschool" in the fall. I don't feel motivated to do regular preschool or at least the visiting schools and all, but a two-hour twice a week program about the arts might be a perfect fit to help her feel like she's in school. Tomorrow we're doing a class at the museum so that will be fun.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#70 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 AM

Lofty - :Hug I'm sorry it feels so momentous but I'm sure there will be many upsides as well.  Is it just D that wants to do public school?  If so it could be a really nice opportunity for you and G.

#71 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM

lofty~I'm sorry, somehow I missed the talk that one of your boys is starting public school.  I'm sorry that this is making you sad and coming at such a tumultuous time too.  Hugs to you!

Gaye~thanks for catching me up to speed on the dating scene!  Hope things with C are fun and love abounds!

RR: ran 8 after everyone got out of school yesterday.  Was supposed to do 8 Monday, 7 Wednesday and 20 Saturday.  We have to bump Saturday's run to Friday because RP works Saturday and I'm leaving for FL.  So, since I ran Monday's run yesterday I'm trying to talk myself into the 7 today.  Hmmmm...

NRR: busy getting things ready for the trip, and dh is launching a new thing at work so he has been going in early and staying late this week so we can still go on vacation.  Im trying to get the animals all settled in their care takers houses, clean/ laundry and packing for all of us this week (I really want to come home to a clean house!), and homeschool/drop off/pick ups in there as well.  I WILL enjoy this vacation!!!  :)

#72 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Lofty - hugs to you as your and your DS enter this new stage.

Gaye - love the DRs and I think you totally made the right choice.

Real - yay for good PT conferences

RR - ran 2/walked 2 on Monday and did an hour spin class yesterday. It hurt.

NRR - I am pissed. DD1 made a rainbow colored bracelet and wore it to school today. Her best friend told her "rainbows mean you're gay" and that her Mom won't let her wear rainbows!!!! Really? In 2013? I am so annoyed.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#73 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 AM

rainbows *mean* you're gay?!  WTH?!  uh no, neither does liking pink if you are a boy.  sheesh!!!

#74 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM

My favorite line when that happens: wearing a Vikings shirt doesn't make you a quarterback.

And to the parent who said no to rainbows. Boo on you!!
Nickarolaberry likes this.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#75 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 04:04 PM

Sorry I forgot to respond about the dental work. Later that night (8-9pm) the numbness finally wore off from 11am appt, and I could move my mouth again. It was so strange because that had never happened before. Half my face is still swollen from Monday and tender. I can now eat on that side but can't open my mouth all the way yet. At least raspberry seeds won't get stuck anymore, lol!!

RR: ran 7 and it was good.
#76 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

My favorite line when that happens: wearing a Vikings shirt doesn't make you a quarterback.

Exactly!!! Gah.

Lofty, wishing you a positive transition that meets everyone's needs in your family. Be gentle with yourself :Hug

NRR- Yesterday was our 13th anniversary, but we cancelled brunch/coffee date plans in favour of actually doing work. We did have an afternoon conversation/meltdown about the whole acupuncture issue, in which he was upset that I don't feel I have more support (but failed to offer any), and I acknowledged that some of my fear was unrealistically based on a friend who did some very unsupported soul-searching/childhood stuff many years ago and ultimately ended up with a couple of psychiatric admissions and eventual suicide. We were in our early 20s, and I had the upsetting experience of losing a friend, and helping her partner to clean up their apartment and to move out afterward. While I really don't suspect my childhood was nearly as traumatic/repressed as hers was, there is an understandable fear when someone mentions history and trauma and potentially accessing those that I can get freaked out about a possible worst case scenario. I'm still on the path of not doing it, and feeling more clear about why the whole issue was so upsetting to me.

Kid-related- My seven (almost 8) year old spent much of yesterday evening stressed about the start of "grades" at school, and a district reading assessment that was scheduled for today. We went through several cycles of conversation about how grades don't matter, and her throwing back that they would matter for getting into university and another cycle of stress about whether she might "get an F". This morning we excused her from the reading assessment and clarified with the teacher that the grades are actually for the older students in the multi-grade class and that she is not to see any grades under any circumstance (my husband said something about any grades that must be assigned needed to be sent home in a sealed envelope). The vice-principal happened to be there for the conversation and was 100% supportive of the plan. I hope we can hold grade anxiety at bay for a good while longer- in my cautious oldest it could lead to not trying anything that she's not already proficient at, which has been her general strategy since early childhood- learn it in private and only reveal her learning once she's really competent. This is a kid who stopped walking for a month after her first successful attempts, thereby breaking my back by having my hold her hands while she walked for an extra 30 days. Now she's doing after school yoga practice :)

#77 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks for wishing us well. I'm an emotional basket case these days. Between the constant travel, dh's stress, mil's condition, ds2 wanting to start school, I'm ---> dizzy.gif and not processing anything well. I did get in a great swim today. I'm planning to do yoga tomorrow and I may drive back for another swim session on Friday. It's where I get my sanity. I feel like a heel but I may not go down to mil's this weekend at all. I need to focus on my kids and I haven't been doing that. Get this. While explaining to her that I needed to go home (last Sunday) b/c the boys and I need to get back into school and really need the structure, somehow in her brain she thought I meant enroll them both in school and proceeded to spend about 45 minutes gravely and super seriously commending me for sending them to boarding school. Huh? She went on and on about how it would work, about fixing their food, about them coming home on weekends, etc. She spoke of it all as if it was her last, dying wish and such a relief to get it off her chest how good boarding school will be for them. headscratch.gif I think she meant regular school but it leaves me sad that she thinks so poorly of our choice to homeschool. She was totally against all that breastfeeding and co-sleeping I did, too, so it's not anything new. It just left me bewildered and sad. I feel like everywhere I turn I am a disappointment. mecry.gif On that note, at least my clothes are fitting very loosely and I actually think I've lost weight or toned up my torso some. And no matter what she thinks about homeschooling, my kids are fricking awesome. And yes, he will go to school and probably love it. I would never want him to look back and wonder, what if? And yes, it'll be a great opportunity for G who has zero interest. I know my issues aren't the biggest in the world, I'm just caught up in so many emotional whirlwinds right now, I'm having trouble processing them. The clarity will come. In time, it will make sense. I just can't figure it out right now and it's hard.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#78 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

And to the parent who said no to rainbows. Boo on you!!
yeahthat.gif

lofty~hug.gif, mama. I hope the transition goes smoothly for both of you.

melw~Happy anniversary! flowersforyou.gif

We had parent-teacher conferences here, too. No surprises here, and DS is doing great. Love that kid. love.gif Well, when he's not driving me absolutely flipping crazy like he did right before bedtime tonight. orngtongue.gif

rr~I had 8 miles on my schedule, but since I actually could, I decided to go to track this morning. And of course, the first time in months that I make it to track is two mile time trial day. Sure, no speedwork in forever, but let's bust out a time trial. lol.gif The good news is that it was a short workout...warm-up and then two miles all out. Which I pulled off in a very respectable 16:42. Not too shabby! The bad news is that I still had 5 miles that I should run! So I decided to head up to the foothills for a trail run and to take in the fall colors. As I was getting ready to pull out of the parking lot at track, I remembered that my friend who lives up near there had told me last year when I went up to this same open space park told me I should have called her, so I sent her a quick text to see if she happened to be around so I could stop by and say hi. Coincidentally, she was planning on taking her two younger DDs and her cousin (visiting from out of town) to the exact same park for a hike! So, I met up with her and got her caught up on my life (like there's anything going on there... orngtongue.gif) and hiked the first mile with them before splitting off at a trail junction to go longer and get some running in. The colors were beautiful, and there's just something about being out on the trail like that that is so soul-satisfying. So between that, and getting caught up with my friend, it was a very good morning indeed.

And now, I sit around and wait. I'm on call tonight, so I'm waiting to see if I get called in (my charge nurse says "not right now, but very possibly") and I'm waiting to see if C calls or texts... redface.gif

#79 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Lofty, many many hug to you. I do remember just how that school decision felt when I put one in school. You have so much going on...

I am short on personals as I am traveling and on my phone and I left my charger at the last stop. I have school work we are trying to get done and tired jetlagged kids.

Lisa, when are you traveling? I will be in Indy/Carmel some.. I could drive down for xoffee or something. I do have my three ypungers traveling with me. My phone is going beserk.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#80 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM

Wow you guys are so busy and prolific I'll never catch up!

Sorry to leave out personals but it will take me awhile to read everything. I go through phases of being on MDC 2-3 x day and not really much for a week or two if stuff is going on. And with 4 kids stuff is always going on at my house!

So far picking up the running back (for the 3rd time!) is going pretty well. I'm fairly optimistic. Run/walking 3-4 times a week for 30 min or so and on off days long walks of a good hour each. Tonight I went nearly 4 miles, yayyy.

Though I gained 4 lbs!!!! my first 2 weeks, I have in this 3rd week lost 1/2 to 1lb of that. Hope the weightloss trend continues and I don't gain back.

Do you ladies recommend strength training or yoga or (gah) swimming and such on the off days instead of walking? Cuz pretty much just running and walking is my bag. I'd love to get back into yoga, I used to do it 2-3x week for years but I've been off it so long and I can't afford a class on an ongoing basis. But I think I really need a class to give me the support and discipline.

What are your experiences of strength training as a running support, versus walking i.e.too much walking just tire the legs and work the same muscles? Mostly I'm lazy and don't really want to do strength training per se if I don't have to. But I don't want to get sidelined either.

Thoughts? Experience?

One ecological breastfeeding nak.gif om.gif, married to an awesome dh_malesling.GIFintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif treehugger.giffamilybed2.gifecbaby2.gifhomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpgwhale.gif Our family is definitelymaybe complete! hale

#81 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Just a drive by to say Lofty!!!  You are the BEST!  I LOVE YOU!  You have never ever ever disappointed me.  So there!

:blowkiss:flowersforyou

#82 of 296 Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post

I could drive down for xoffee or something. I do have my three ypungers traveling with me. My phone is going beserk.
biglaugh.gif Thank you, phone, for the beserk. I was literally LOL.

lofty--emotions are running high, but if you can manage, don't take what she said to heart. She is on some pretty strong pain meds, right? That can exacerbate issues that really weren't that big of a deal overall.

tara--I think I should be doing weights, if to ward off old-age bone issues if nothing else. I have yet to do them more than once a week. Maybe next month! Or next year! I generally do at least some core work once or twice a week, even if it's as minimal as a few sit-ups, but trying to fit in a 30-minute weight workout on top of my regular runs is a struggle (this is partly because I don't like to do them when DH is home because he tells me he feels like he's married to a Marine, and I haven't gotten to the gym as often as I'd like because he needs to be there to swim). In theory I could do it with the kids around, but the reality is that the kids want too many things (food, behinds wiped, a spill cleaned up) approximately every 8 minutes.

RR: finally did some. Didn't want to but got 6 miles done anyhow, complete with intervals. I miss my mojo and my energy.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#83 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 AM

Lofty, :Hug. I can empathize with that feeling of being a disappointment to everyone, I struggle with that all the time. But you are NOT. And your kids ARE frickin awesome, due in no small part to YOU being AMAZING and AWESOME.

So there.

Tara, welcome back!

JayGee, that person who said that to your kid is a doofus. And you can quote me on that. One dear friend's favorite expression comes to mind: "Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one, but just because someone's is bigger than yours doesn't make it better."

Today is dd1's 13th birthday. I have been a mama for 13 years. That's....hard to believe. As we slide into the teen years, I am thinking about how she taught me everything I know about being a mama, not-so-gently got me into breastfeeding, LLL and leading, natural parenting, MDC, and because of her all of you are people I hold dear and have as friends.

:happyt

RR: 6.2 fast this morning. Chilly! I almost ran right over a racoon. Yikes. I don't know who was more startled.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#84 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

:nod Yeah, Lofty, you and your kids are amazing.

Happy mama-birthday, Nick :joy

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#85 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 05:06 AM

Checking in again from the cyber cafe...hugs to each and every one of you. And ok, now hug me back.
We are hemorrhaging money on projects that I know will be reduced to rubble by this time next year. We have not traveled except for one day trip high into the mountains to find a wife for a nephew. Yup. Found one. Dh and I are a sort of irresistible horse and pony. I habe a lot of other thoughts on the whole thing bit they belong in the lit work I have to do.
I am so disgusted by my ILs. In every imaginable way and I will leave it at that. These trips provide material.
Dd is doing OK but ds less so, as always.
Bowels are all over the place. RR = hiking hills at altitude wearing a long robe in between 12-hour stretches of sitting around looking at our hands. Finished Age of Miracles and State of Wonder. Dowloaded a couple more books but need more fiction. I think I hate this more every year and that makes me sad.
There is a vague plan so see the macaques on Saturday. Kids can't wait to get to UAE for a bed and a bath.
#86 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

:hug Oh Jo, it sounds so hard. :hug I can't wait for you to get to UAE either.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#87 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 05:49 AM

I like your attitude, Jo, of doing this for material for your next writing project. Many hugs, and sending you a virtual bath and box of wet wipes.
#88 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 06:44 AM

I just got more travel details for my trip next week.  The hotel hot springs & spa with a view of Mt Fuji.  Think anyone will notice if I didn't go to the conference?  And running paths.  Guess I should pack my running shoes.

#89 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

I just got more travel details for my trip next week.  The hotel hot springs & spa with a view of Mt Fuji.  Think anyone will notice if I didn't go to the conference?  And running paths.  Guess I should pack my running shoes.

What?  AWESOME!  My work trips usually mean some kind of waterpark. The state of Wisconsin system apparently has some kind of giant contract with waterparks and most meetings I attend are with the system, somehow.

(((Loftmama))))

I was just chatting with a hs mom who decided her kids each needed things that she wasn't able to do -- one kid asked for public high school (and that had been their plan all along). one kid was struggling to learn to read and she felt strongly that the structure of school would work better. And then there were a variety of things for the other two.  She expressed the same kinds of wistful feelings.  Sigh.  It is so hard to let them all grow and develop sometimes.

I'm over my head in work obligations. With no breathing room in sight. sigh. I hate when this kind of stuff happens.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#90 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 AM

Geo. That's totally AWESOME. Wow! Photos, photos, photos please!

Ok, so how mean a teacher am I? Yesterday, in my AP Euro class (seniors, the same class I had last year for AP USH -- 6 very raucous and smart boys I call -- with total love -- the 'peacock brigade' and 2 amazingly intelligent girls) one of the boys had a large pyrex container of soup in his backpack. (They have started this thing where they all bring something for lunch enough to feed their 'group' and they share). He opened his backpack in class and lo and behold, the soup (split pea/lentil) had spilled all over all his books and notebooks, etc. He let out the f-bomb. I started laughing and I could. not. stop. Then he put the bowl on another boy's desk, who looked at boy1 incredulously and said, WTF?! (well he said the whole expression). I'm telling you, it took me a good 10 minutes to pull myself together to talk about the New Monarchs of 15th Century Europe. (of course i gave him my cloth napkins I keep at school for my lunches and we all helped clean it up. Not the least because it did not smell so good once spilled everywhere.)

So today I think I will have to show them the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld. Because it still is making me laugh. I'm so mean. :rotflmao

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page