Sprinting joyfully into October - the Dingo thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 296 Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Running in the middle of the night has been written up in the police logs for this town as "suspicious activity." 

In the end, I went out at 5:15 am.  Other people were out then, so hopefully I was safe from being suspicious.

"suspicious activity"

right up there with wanting your kids to walk to school.

crazy lady from California

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#182 of 296 Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Running in the middle of the night has been written up in the police logs for this town as "suspicious activity." 
Ooo, in NW Indiana too. I got stopped by police twice for walking, once around 10 pm near the edge of campus with a friend (at the end of the semester, just before we all left for summer) and once six years later when walking with Paul to the grocery store for snacks between Friends and ER.

People walk at all times of the day and night here, which is awesome. We regularly went for a nighttime walk around the neighborhood until R was about a year old, at which point she stopped falling asleep in the stroller and started wanting in on the conversation. I :heart Colorado.

JayGee--hope you had a good run.

1jooj--glad you are back to Abu Dhabi.

Phone is still in rice. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe tomorrow afternoon? I've heard of people leaving it in rice for a week (changing it once a day) but that seems like a lot of overkill. Also, I really want my phone back. What if people are trying to call me right now? How would I know?!?!?! lol.gif

(ETA to delete that I was going to run on the tm 'cause it's almost 11 and maybe I'll color my hair and try this whole sleeping thing for once.)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#183 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
RP and I are regularly out running at 10 pm, and others are clearly still out. 5 am seems to be comparable in the numbers of people out. I'm actually quite impressed by how many people are out and about in this community.

So I'm guessing the hours when people might call 911 for someone jogging past wearing lights and reflective gear is something like 11 pm and 5 am. Skin color is something that the newspaper doesn't report, but I suspect my white, glowing skin in the dead on night might also be ok. (The reason we shouldn't connect the multiuse path through this town is for "safety" reasons...)
#184 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 04:25 AM

When I was out this morning at 4:45-6 am there were other runners and people walking their dogs. I've never been stopped though.

So, point of interest question: at what point do you ask your child(ren) to stop singing a song with risque lyrics, thereby alerting them to the fact that there is something scandalous about the song which, up until that point, they were totally unaware? (My concern is that they sing these to themselves ... out loud ... in school -- a parochial school whose teachers would, I would venture to say, be :irked at hearing the lyrics sung out loud in school). :lol 

(I don't even know where they heard these songs. Car radio? Who knows.)

School drama: ongoing.

RR; 6.2 this morning, it's getting colder! I have to find my gloves.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#185 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

How's everyone doing? Plady? Lofty? I am thinking about you guys.

Jo - Yay, hygiene!! Glad you guys are settling in to your new place.

Nick - your question made me laugh :lol at myself, as I was recently listening to some good old 80's stuff that I used to love back in the day. Well, I was shocked - shocked, I say - at the lyrics. Bear in mind that I was in my late teens and early 20s at that time, so .... not really sure why I didn't *get* the meaning. I'd say maybe a reminder to the kids that some modern music isn't appropriate and no further explanation.

Gaye - the birthday sounds just perfect :love

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#186 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 AM

Nic - I have the same question/problem with my kids and their music. There is something really disturbing about a 9 year old singing "up all night to get lucky..." rolleyes.gif. I am not sure how to approach it either.

Gaye - glad you had such a wonderful birthday!

Geo - in Bloomington I used to meet a friend to run at 5:00am and there were usually quite a few runners out at that time. It never occurred to me that it might be "suspicious".

Real - sleep. Seriously. It's good for you! (this coming from someone who regularly sacks out on the sofa at 9:30pm)! Hope your phone recovers in the rice.

RR - walked 2 miles/ran 2 miles yesterday morning. I'm trying to talk my RPs into adding another 1/2 mile to our run segment next week. Today I will go to spin class.

NRR - I'm really proud of DD2's swimming over the weekend. She placed 10th out of 55 swimmers in the 50 free and the 25 butterfly, and 13th in the 25 free. For someone who has only been swimming competitively for 4 months, I think that's pretty good smile.gif. And there's something super-cute about a 7 year old swimming butterfly. [/end shameless parent brag].

I've been researching possible library grants that would allow me to earn a salary, but most of them seem to be for materials/books/etc. and specifically say the $$ is not for salary. My next step is to talk with the district librarian about approaching the school board.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#187 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 AM

JG - I said that they're happy and feeling lucky because they found other people who want to stay up and dance all night like they do lol.gif This, in response to my 5 year old! who said the song is about lo-ove bigeyes.gif

more later...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#188 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 AM

sparkle - twins.gif

RR - 60 minute spin class, very hard, but now I feel great. Must shower. I smell me.

#189 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM

Lofty, thinking of you and your family today. I hope the service is a beautiful remembrance and that it supports your family to move forward :candle

Nic (and sparkle) We talk about the lyrics- what they mean, why they are best not sung loudly in the yard. We talk about lyrics in general related to metaphor, rhyme, message because my oldest writes a lot of her own songs, and the analysis of the lyrics of songs we like is a bit helpful in this regard. Having a poet for a husband is helpful with this.

JayGee, a seven year old doing butterfly sounds insanely cute and impressive. Way to swim!

My grandma is having some ups and downs post-hip surgery (sleep problems, anxiety about dying, now diarrhea). I'm going Friday to visit her and extended family. The logistics have kind of sucked, and we did try to figure out if we could leave the kids and my husband and I could go together, but it's so much easier for me to go with my sister instead and have him stay with the kids.

NRR- None. My cough is lingering and I've been wheezing at night. I'm really ready to feel better. Part of me wonders if I went for a hard run if I could clear everything out, but the fog and air quality advisory that had been lingering for days only lifted yesterday afternoon. It's still foggy everywhere else near here, but we have just enough elevation to be above it, at least during the day time.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#190 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 PM

real~So how did the sleep thing work for you? Disclaimer: it may take more than one night of good sleep for the effects to be fully recognized. winky.gif Keeping fingersx.gif for your phone!!!

nic~I recently had the exact same thought when I heard DS attempting to sing along to the radio in the back seat. I say attempting because he only gets like one in every four words. orngtongue.gif

lofty~Sending lots of hug.gif from CO for you and your family. candle.gif

melw~goodvibes.gif for your gm! And goodvibes.gif that you feel better soon!!

Not too much new and exciting here, I'm just in a pretty happy state in general. I think I like this guy. orngbiggrin.gif The one big downer right now is that he really does want me to come to Cozumel for his Ironman...and our new schedule came out and for the first time ever, I got scheduled to work a day I requested off...the one that makes it impossible to get there in time for the race. I'm trying desperately to find a switch, but not having any luck of course, because it's the holiday weekend. So do I do something that I've never seriously contemplated before and call in sick? Ugh. I'm such a rule follower that it's hard to swallow the thought of, but...

rr~Just 5 today. (just 5! lol!) It was harder than 5 should have been, but I know I'm still tired from Sunday. And at least it was an absolutely gorgeous fall day...perfect temp, sunny, leaves crunching under my feet. Ahh.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#191 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 02:07 PM

Songs. Radio. In car? What?
Oh right. You don't have Minnesota public radio. My kids don't sing to the radio, but they know you should call 1 800-227-2811 to pledge.

Also you should stream wonder ground radio for your kids ( mn pub radio station) or the current.
loftmama likes this.

#192 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM

Kerc - you're like the ghost of christmas past right now: when my kids were little, i.e. for the 4 years I was in MN, I swore that MPR kept me going. It was my only friend and company for many years. I promised that I would pledge once we had money. Um, Dh started his job 4 years ago now bag.gif

Gaye - I wouldnt call in sick. There has to be someone. Can you offer to switch for more than one shift? Can you offer anyone shifts around thnxgiving? new years? work it girl.

Lofty - thinking of you

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#193 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Sparkle - Well there's the number to call.  It's listeners like you who keep MPR on the air and millions of Minnesotans from going flat out nuts in the winter. :wink

Lofty - Thinking of you and Benn today in between thinking of my friend and her family.  What a week.

Re: Lyrics - Heard from my backseat while listening to C's station pick "This is about sex". spitdrink.gif:2whistlehelp.gif  Um.  Yup.  Aren't they all?

Gaye - I wouldn't call in sick either, it's just too obvious after having asked for it off.  Could you go before or after the race?  

Real - Good luck with the new sleeping thing.  I imagine that it might take a week or two to 'take'.  

RR: Boxed today.  Trying to put my all into it without leaving myself in zombie mode for the rest of the day.  Then a local playwright asked if I'd be interested in being in a play about a woman learning to box.  Um yeah!

NRR: Successfully distracting my grieving self for hours at a time.  It's good to have a break.  Tomorrow is the funeral and I'm hearing from lots of friends I haven't seen in 20-25 years that they will all be there. crap.gif It's the first time I've ever felt far from home since I moved off the east coast in 1996.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#194 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 09:00 PM

tjsmama--I'd take a wait and see approach for a couple of weeks at least. You never know what crop up between now and then, both in terms of a sudden chance to switch at work or yet another hot man wandering into your life.

kerc--poor you! I think our membership drive was last week, but I don't think I've turned NPR on this week to find out. I tend to avoid it for at least two weeks when they start one.

On the plus side, I will readily admit we're feeling pretty virtuous about that this year, seeing as we gave them a car. Granted, it wasn't running but they got several hundred dollars for it, making it a true "large donation." (Too bad they'll be sad next year when we send them $30.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post

real~So how did the sleep thing work for you? Disclaimer: it may take more than one night of good sleep for the effects to be fully recognized. winky.gif
So, um, I decided to watch the taped candidate forum for our city council and mayors. And then check their websites before making the list of people who I think will get my vote. bag.gif Still not sure about mayors...I don't like any of the three candidates. Grrr.

I got to bed earlier at least. rolleyes.gif That's something. I know. But life is so interesting, especially without DH or kids around to interrupt the silence.

RR: 4 outside. It was a beautiful, beautiful day, and DH took the kids to the pumpkin patch after school. And then I even cooked dinner and had it ready when they walked in the door. Win!!!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#195 of 296 Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 PM

:heartbeat public radio. WPR was my daily company until we moved away, and now I still stream occasionally, and still download my podcasts for walking. Even so, we have lyric issues. I just let them know it's inappropriate with my serious face. It's not simply that it's about sex, but the way much of the time the attitude is so disrespectful in the songs. Like Mel38 said though, how was I not bothered way back then?! (Though I never liked Def Leppard so there is that at least.)

Hard time catching up on sleep, but I am trying to go easy on all of us. Finished laundry yesterday. I have no dryer and the humidity makes it take a while, so there was a steaming pile of flea-infested clothing in the kitchen for a bit. Yesterday I vacuumed, mopped and dusted (Piles of sand under rugs? Really, dh?), and today I am just going to cook some dinner and walk to the grocery where I get the good coconut milk and dried meat. It's only 80 out there (at 9AM), but I need a lot more coffee before I step out. And if the kids get work done and feel like getting out too, then we might even hit the beach for an hour or so after school is done. But they are still in bed.

RR: Signed up for beach yoga tonight. It's an hour and a half long and I just hope I can get through it. Looks like the class is going to be small, so I might mention modifications ahead of time. Feeling SO weak. After rehydrating and swelling in the plane, it looks like I lost about 8 pounds to the dysentery-and-nothing to eat diet, coupled with the dinner-is-at-11-and-we-pass-out-at-930 weight loss strategy. Dh gained 4 pounds. Kids each lost about 4 pounds. Dd said her black hole came back. This is what she calls her pre-growth spurt hungries.

RM, I wanted to explain about the illnesses...my ILs, as the FB stuff suggests, live in a very remote part of the mountains. There is still no road to the village, and this year's rains made the trail worse. It takes 45min to get to the nearest town by car, longer by mule. Houses now have electricity, still no running water. Potable water is collected at a spring, but hygiene practices lead to illness. People rarely wash water jugs (I did this with SIL this year, with bleach), and my ILs rarely use detergent, never hot water, to wash pots, and utensils. The few towels in the house are shared. People toilet outdoors, wherever they find cover when the need strikes. They usually go near the irrigation ditch and use that water to wash after. It's a don't-use-your-left-hand kind of thing, but of course everyone is still using their left hands to do such things as cook food. Flies are everywhere. Houses are built above stalls on the main floor that house equines, sheep, goats, cattle, chickens. So the house reeks of ammonia (my nose bled every day) and the fleas fill the blankets and cushions where we sit, eat, sleep. There is no trash collection or even a burn pile. The hillside below the house is covered in trash, including dirty diapers. Wild dogs drop loads wherever they like, and semi-feral cats come in and out of houses, spreading fleas and peeing indoors. When we get sick, the local reaction is, "they aren't used to it yet," which makes me chuckle. So, this year, dh built a bathroom for his parents. It has a squat toilet, a Western toilet, a shower and two sinks. It is fed by a rooftop tank that gets filled using a pump from the spring. There is an electric water heater and a septic tank. So now there is no reason not to wash with soap, not to bathroom in a hygienic way, not to shower regularly, not to use hot water for eating utensils. I anticipate it will be ruined, broken and out of use by next year. We spend ten grand over the course of dh's visit. I estimate 6-7K went toward getting this project done.

There was a flea in my boot all the way back, so I have a mess on one ankle. I couldn't take the boots off because I knew my feet would swell and I would be barefoot in AUH airport, which is not OK. So in a few more days the itching should be done, and in another week the scabs from my scratching should be off. :rotflmaoThe kids and I are covered in bites. They might even be worse than me this time, and dd swells up like I do. 

Now settling in, the kids are thrilled with having their own rooms. Dh painted their walls funky colors and decorated with furniture, including a little desk for each of them. So they are outfitted to get work done and leave me in peace a good bit. My desk, however, was broken in the move. Dh bought a small table for the kitchen, so I do have that if I wish. The kitchen is nice. The shipment of our stuff was a bit of a nightmare for me in Morocco (customer service issues), but the bags met me here. We have all books and materials and our clothes for AUH.

The Morocco visit definitely fed the creative part of my brain, so many new experiences even for me, including falling in love with two women whom I had the pleasure of getting to know (dh's milk mother and the nephew's new MIL), and a friend of the family gave me a lovely gift of new goatskin slippers decorated with woven wool, like a rug, in bright red. Gorgeous. I danced in the circle at the wedding. I wish we had gotten out to see more of the country.

Also, did I mention the cousin took his own life? No one mentioned to me while I was traveling, but I figured by the lack of info on cause of death, and it was confirmed when I landed here. He was my dad's age, and it is a sad story of a sad life.

#196 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 AM

plady~hug.gif Thinking of you and your friend and her family. candle.gif

real~ nut.gif Get some sleep, crazy woman! winky.gif

jo~I don't know how you do it. I mean, I know I am a spoiled rotten westerner, but there's no way I could put up with even half of that. And you do it with such grace!

Problem solved. Phew! We have a new travel nurse who just started and I met her tonight, and conveniently enough, she was totally willing to switch with me. Whoop, whoop! Of course, flights are kind of a disaster, but I'm making it work (award flight on one airline out, award flight on a different airline back). It is definitely a little scary to me to be planning something that's still so far away, especially after how reluctant I was to plan things with J, but it just feels right. And worst case, I have to scramble to find a place to stay in Cozumel, but I still get to witness an Ironman firsthand before I do my own. In Mexico.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#197 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 04:14 AM

Gaye, that's so FUN! :mischief

Jo, mama. I don't know how you do it. You are amazing. I would have bailed on that sitch long, long ago. I have been in those conditions, but for very (very) short amounts of time, like under a week. Which was enough to last me a lifetime.

Kerc, :lol on the public radio thing. yeah. That's what is confusing me also. I don't listen to music on the car radio. My kids are always saying, Mom, we DON"T want to listen to WAIT WAIT DON'T TELL ME anymore! ("This is New England Public Radio, depending on your support.") They can say the fundraising refrain by hear too. Ha. The only music we listen to is my Michael Buble cd's or the Maccabeats. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

So where are they learning this music? No idea. 

Ok, minor crisis here. It's school picture day and dd1 is melting down. Have I mentioned I have a 13 year old in the house? :namaste

RR: 1150 yards in the pool this morning. Felt like I could have pushed harder but I didn't want to annoy my friends (running group, we swim once or twice a week too) by trying to pass and messing everyone up.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#198 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 AM

Jooj - wow, just WOW! That is so far beyond what our cushy westerized life is like. I can't even imagine. Your new home sounds good though, and your DH sounds like he works so hard to make things comfortable for those he loves. Still... yuck on the fleas, and the sanitation issues.

NPR - my DH hates that I listen to NPR (remember, I am married to Mr. Southern Conservaitve here). DD1 loves country music (often inappropriate), DS loves pop (frequently inappropriate), and DD2 prefers the Christian music station (which all sounds the same to me). We flip around a lot.

Nic - hope picture day goes smoothly for the teen! Oh, the angst!

Gaye - sounds like a good plan re: Cozumel.

Plady - hug2.gif as you grieve. Love the play opportunity. Sounds like a part made just for you.

Jooj - I lost a cousin over the summer to suicide as well hug2.gif.

RR - I really want to squeeze in a run today, but I'm not 100% sure when. Gotta make it happen though.

NRR - DH has been referred to the orthopedic surgeon for another knee surgery, this time on the left knee. He finally admitted last night that his soccer days may be over. As his GP said, "it's all torn up in there." Time to wake up the girls for school. Well, DD1 is reading on the sofa, but prying her out of her book is just as hard as getting her out of bed eyesroll.gif.

#199 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 AM

super busy here. 

denver ladies: can y'all hang on for another day before I think about what I can do?  I need to print the poster for the conference (whole reason for the trip) but more importantly I need to create said poster. which is happening today.

thinking of you all.

#200 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

broc1.gifYay for new employees willing to take over shifts!! Cozumel sounds awesome...

Jo, that is very sad, I'm so sorry. 

Wow, if you do write a book, I must read it. This is a culture that is so fascinating to me, so beautiful but so foreign and a little bit intimidating. I'm sure I'll never experience it first hand. Have you decided on buying some property there? It would be great to have your own place to fix up as you please. I'm sure you would keep the bathroom in nice working order :lol I guess if you grow up without any facilities to speak of, then it just all doesn't seem like that big of a deal. And talk about robust immune systems.

JG, ooh, sorry for your DH's upcoming surgery. That's a bummer that he can't play soccer any more; it does seem like it's hard on the knees.

I love NPR, too, though the station here does not have the best programming. We had a fantastic station up in the Detroit area, but here it's a little heavy on the classical for my taste. I like to have a little more variety (Thistle & Shamrock, All Songs Considered) though we do have World Cafe. And I :heartbeat WWDTM and This American Life!  But we recently got a few months of satellite radio in the car for free, so I am now forced to listen to the kids station every day. DS loves it. At least it's G rated.

RR: So, after many rounds of chafing on my last several long runs, I invested in a nice new running bra. I also ordered new shorts because all of the sudden I hate all my shorts - I ordered compression shorts. I've never run in them, it just seemed like a good idea.  It seems like the closer the marathon comes, the more bewildered I feel about all the choices and decisions. What to pack, what to wear, ipod or not (I think no), what to fuel with, carry a bottle or not ... gah! :dizzy

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#201 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Gaye, really, not a lot of grace. I just gave up trying to make it fun or nice, and am learning to make the best of interesting when I have the presence of mind. Also, cuddling with an old lady is surprisingly comforting. shrug.gif Not suggesting you skip Mexico for a cuddle with an old lady, but just saying. :wink Oh, and remember, then I come here where the weather is sunny every day and the Gulf is right across the street.

JayGee, I would love to hear that your work turns into a paid position. 

Real, I think you should try sleep. Harder. I'm amazed the taped forum and websites didn't get you there, frankly.

Plady, G!d bless you as you miss your friend. It sounds as though she is sent off by a universe of love, and I hope that gives you some sense of tranquility. I'm so sorry.

RR: An hour and a half of ashtanga yoga. :namaste Wow. And the teacher is just...whoa. My old teacher moved out of town and a new team is offering yoga like every day, everywhere. I could take a class almost every day within walking distance of the apartment. But this class is a little a lot out of my current ability, I think. I did OK but tomorrow is likely going to hurt. There might be crying.

Actually there will almost guaranteed be crying. I am getting the kids up at 7AM. We are in need of a gentle attitude adjustment (in which dd comes down a few notches and ds gets out of neutral gear). And so I am off to bed too. I want to get out for a walk. Unless I switch to evenings like the rest of the UAE, since night weather is pretty nice. 

Nic, btw, your thoughts on testing and validity have really had me thinking about how little thinking itself was ever a part of most of the tests I (easily) aced through HS. And how messed up it is that the system is so easily gamed.

:sleepytime

#202 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 AM

Yet another teacher murdered today. :( What is going on in this world? 

And there are days where I really wonder if I'm an idiot for continuing in this underpaid, undervalued, much-maligned, and seemingly now also very dangerous profession.

#203 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 AM

Nic - you are hardly alone. By the way, just sayin' loveeyes.gif

Plady - holding you in light as you grieve this loss. Thanks for the Karma police beat down, btw sulkoff.gif

Jo - yeah. What Mel38 said. Amazing, inspiring, frightening. Glad you are in recovery mode finally. Good to have done it, good that its over nut.gifnamaste.gif

RR: ROTFLMAO.gifROTFLMAO.gif

NRR: It frustrates me that the "experts" are not more educated or informed about what we seek them out for in the first place. I suspect we could all write articles, if not the book Geo will write, about some experience that it would have been deeply helpful to have had someone guide us expertly through eyesroll.gif All to say, I wish the gyno. I saw in Feb. had the knowledge to guide me through the past 8 months instead of having to live it, research it, study it, and suffer painfully through it. I had several epiphanies last week, both from reading a few a-ha articles and living through a full cycle that have led me to think I *know* what happened and what to do about it. As of Sunday I have started a new/modified old regime for this and so far, SO much better. Ridiculous. And now, with hindsight and all this research/note-taking/experience, its a no-duh head-slap kind of thing. Thank you gyno. irked.gif I can now tell you all about the interaction of serotonin and estrogen, estrogen and progesterone, the symptomology of estrogen dominance and estrogen deficiency, how they happen, and what to do about them, etc, etc. ssri's are out. This is clearly an estrogen deficiency issue (as I realized when I O'd this weekend and felt like myself for the first time in 5 weeks, and also at which time the little dose of ssri went into overdrive when my E2 peaked :nuts). I dont want to count chickens, and this is an ongoing titration algorithm, but I feel more optimistic and motivated and back in life than I have since August. Thank g-d

DD2 is at a buddy0shadowing day at one of the private schools today. Dh and I were interviewed this morning. It was funny thinking about all the obnoxious things we could say to sandbag the interview lol.gifbag.gif Meanwhile, I think she would fit in well there, I think she would be happy and it would nurture her in the right way. Yikes.

#204 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM

sparkle :HugI am trying to pretend there are no such things as sex hormones. Do you think that will help?

That murderous-feeling yoga class taught by the Cirque du Soleil gymnast was not as bad on me as it might have been. I mean I can lift my arms.

About to run out on my kids so that I don't hurt anyone. Recovery means I need some time away from these people. Ideally I would get about 3 weeks. :rotflmao

Nic :Hug, mama. 

#205 of 296 Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 PM

1jooj--wow. I'm shaking my head in amazement, both that you didn't get sick worse and that you're able to manage nevertheless. I know people live like that, but it's fairly rare for Westerners to find themselves in those situations unless they're doing research or humanitarian work. How did you meet your DH or did they used to live in a different part of the country?

kerc--no worries. I'm pretty open and DH has been warned that I want to visit while you're here. I may have snooped around and noticed that the conference is downtown, so that's an easy and fairly short commute for whatever we decide to do. Good luck getting the poster done!

Mel38--packing is so hard, especially for a race. Good luck!

sparkle--I'm pretty sure it doesn't help that so many people write about one-size-fits-all approaches, nor that that field has been dominated by men for long enough that it influences the research. There's also the issue that if a researcher wants to look into a topic that seems too crunchy, they probably have a hard time getting funding and the research won't get done without funding. It's a vicious cycle. We'll look forward to your book. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

Real, I think you should try sleep. Harder. I'm amazed the taped forum and websites didn't get you there, frankly.
lol.gif I go to school board meetings mostly out of interest too. Really, I was looking to see if any of the candidates might be reactionaries (and hiding it) or for other red flags. I found one--an elementary school teacher who's not mentioning that her husband is the former state rep who lost last year's election.

RR: 3 at the gym.

NRR: This is a really weird week. So Sunday I get my phone wet, but by Tuesday I knew it was ok. Today I went to a thrift store to look for a shirt for DH's costume. Instead I found a couple of things for me (proving my theory that I only find stuff at the thrift store when I'm not looking and can't find the stuff I actually went there for). While I was checking out, J was singing and there was another little girl who got really snotty and said something mean to her. J burst out crying and so I picked her up and am trying to comfort her while finishing the purchase. I had my credit card in my hand and thought my wallet was in my purse and figured I'd put it away when we got out of the store 'cause J was really, really upset. I get out to the car, go to put my card away and my wallet isn't there. yikes2.gif So we run back in the store, but it's not on the counter and the register guy didn't have it and so I kneel down on the floor and go through all the compartments of my purse again. Nope. Run back out to the car and check under it and in the bag of clothes. Nope.

Usually I wouldn't have freaked out this much--Colorado has many more honest than dishonest people--but last month someone stole a woman's wallet at the grocery store where I always shop. One distracted her while the other grabbed it out of her open purse and within minutes they were buying gift cards at two nearby stores. Now, J provided an excellent distraction and my wallet was gone. So I asked the clerk about security tapes in case maybe we could see if something obvious happened (like someone taking it out of my purse) and I called the police and started canceling credit cards. We'd probably been there 10 minutes or so when an older woman came walking back in and she had my wallet! It had apparently gotten caught in their pile of clothes and made it into the bag, and then they got home and realized it and thought maybe I'd still be back there. Everything is in it, with the possible exception of a grocery store gift card (which may also be somewhere else). I didn't have any cash in it, so that wasn't an issue. Also, the couple was older and parking in the handicapped spot and I'm reasonably certain they don't have an identity theft gig on the side. So joy.gif

With any luck, the rest of the week will avoid further crisis moments, even if they end up ok.

#206 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Jo - I'm so sorry about your cousin. Your in-law visiting certainly takes the cake. I pray that you will be pleasantly surprised when you return to find that they have taken care of the new facilities and actually use them.

Real - Glad it all was okay, but yes, who needs the adrenaline? Here's hoping for calm.

Sparkle - Sorry! I'm one of those NPR listeners who doesn't change stations during the pledge drives. And I've got a ridiculous number of t shirts. I'm so glad you feel like you're onto yourself at last! If not a book might you do a pamphlet? loveeyes.gif

Nic - I hear you. I can't believe how much work teachers do that goes unrecognized. And to add bodyguard to the list of roles they're expected to play? Yikes.

Mel38 - I agree that a marathon calls for some fresh gear.

JayGee - I'm sorry about your cousin as well. This seems like it's been a rough year for so many people close to me. I guess things just go around but 2013 seems like it's been particularly rough. This year I told the kids we'd do a real Dis de los Muertos altar back when our cat Ninj died, then it was the dog and then Grandma and now my friend. It's going to be a crowded altar.

Gaye - Yay for new coworkers!

RR; I should be at boxing right this minute. I'm not because I've got the first hints of a cough and I just don't have time for it to take hold. I think the past time or two that I felt a cold coming on I went boxing anyway and it didn't help. So this time I'm resting. DH was adamant that I chill out too. We see so little of each other these days. He gets home around 6:15 and I need to be out the door by 6:20. And I feel a little guilty that I'm out having a nice time doing things I enjoy but on the nights that I am home it seems like everyone just wants to watch their own screen and I don't have the energy to demand that we do something different.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#207 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Not funny but... At the college dh's life insurance had double indemnity if he died on the job. I should check and see if the policy at the school here includes that clause.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#208 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM

At the e r. Tried my doc first. Then urgent care. I have what I think might be a gallstone. But I've been here for 55 minutes, lying down and maybe I just needed to leave the office? Feeling subtlety better. But haven't seen the doc yet.

#209 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM

kerc - ouch! I hope you can get in quickly and get out of pain.

mommajb - plotting something wink1.gif?

Plady - it has been a hard year for you hug2.gif. Glad you rested today.

sparkle - I heard a really interesting story on NPR the other day about PPMD and thought of you. Not sure if that's exactly what you have, but it sounded similar. I'm so glad you're figuring all of this out though.

Real - glad you got your wallet back. I just read an article in edweek about Colorado Prop 66. Is that what you're busy working on?

Nic - the cold-bloodedness of these murders is mind-boggling.

RR - nothing today due to a field trip to the St. Louis Zoo with DD2's second grade. That girl RAN everywhere. She seriously didn't stop. Hope she still has energy for her soccer game tonight.

#210 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 12:33 PM

kerc - feel better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

mommajb - plotting something wink1.gif?
No, feeling vulnerable and adding to the thoughts about teaching as a dangerous position.

I really do want to add more personals but time and focus are not here today.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page